Type keyword(s) to search

Current Timeline: News and Media

Damn! I really liked this show. It's the only scripted drama, besides The Walking Dead that I watch. I liked all the actors and thought they could have done so much with this concept. Bummer!

• Love 5

Damn!  This has not been the year for time traveling shows, it seems. I do think cost and other behind the scene issues are playing a part, since NBC did renew Taken, which I'm pretty sure was lower rating wise.

Too bad.  It wasn't perfect, but it was an enjoyable enough show to watch.

• Love 3

I'm so heartbroken by this. It's honestly my favorite show, and had such a great set up for a second season. There's so many plotlines I wanted answers to. This is honestly why I barely ever watch new shows; nothing is ever given a chance anymore. :( Hopefully it can find a home on another network. Fingers crossed, even if it is a long shot. 

• Love 7

Too bad! The show could be all over the place and seemed to break its own time travel rules when convenient, and I couldn't care less about Rittenhouse, Wyatt's dead wife or Lucy's missing sister, , but it was fun. 

7 hours ago, wilnil said:

Yeah, in that article, I think the key word was "pricey." My takeaway from it was that the series would have needed to be one of NBC's top-rated shows, rather than just doing OK, to justify the cost of all the sets and costumes, plus the occasional CGI effects. 

It wasn't NBC owned, so the licensing fees were probably the dealbreaker.

IMO they could've made it cheaper if they focused a 10-13 episode season on a 1-2 decade period, with occasional stuff to the recent past (so it'd just be a bit of set dressing to make it look like the 70s)

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Damn!  This has not been the year for time traveling shows, it seems. I do think cost and other behind the scene issues are playing a part, since NBC did renew Taken, which I'm pretty sure was lower rating wise.

Too bad.  It wasn't perfect, but it was an enjoyable enough show to watch.

Taken was owned by NBC. It is very lucrative internationally because of the Taken name.

Ugh. Dammit. Dammit so hard. I've never been so upset by a show cancellation. Was Timeless perfect? No. But was it different and interesting? Absolutely. Screw all the NCIS/CSI/Law and Order/crime/kidnapping/boring whatever clones out there. I will miss Timeless so much. :*(

• Love 11

The fact that the crapfest that Blindspot has become got renewed yet they wouldn't give Timeless another shot says it all really. 

I hope the cast have better luck in their next roles. I'll definetly be watching out for them.

• Love 4

I am legit sad about this.  It was one of the few shows Mr. DuRona and I genuinely enjoyed watching together.  But hey, if Nashville can have a new home, maybe this one can?  Netflix?  Anyone? :(

• Love 1

Ugh, so bummed. Such a waste because the chemistry between the three leads are amazing and that's hard to come by. Where else are we going to get that combo again? The plot on the show isn't brilliant but sometimes I just need something fun and lovely and fluffy in my week. 

The last time I was this bummed about a cancellation was for "Forever". Another lovely fluffy show gone too soon.

• Love 9

I'm so sad about this news.  This show was even more special to me because my 13 year old son loved to sit and watch it with me.  The audience was there for this show, just not live. Timeless never should have aired as late as it did. It was a family show and should have been scheduled earlier in the evening.

• Love 2

I'm not surprised, but I'm sad.  I liked the concept, even if it had issues, and I liked the leads.  I guess time travel shows this year are all failures (this one, Time After Time, Making History).  I enjoyed watching the team travel through history and meet historical figures.  I hope the leads can find work on other shows.

• Love 2

I hate to say it, but it's probably just as well. I'm sure I would have watched a second season, but I'm also pretty sure I would have had the same issues with it that I did all through Season 1. The quotes I'm reading from the show runners seem to indicate they didn't really understand what the problem with it was or that they would have moved to correct it. It's not that time travel shows just aren't popular or viable, it's that this show did not handle time traveling very well. Nothing the time travelers did in the past ever really affected their present day reality or history beyond making Lucy's sister disappear in the pilot. There were many instances where they should have returned to their own time to find their reality severely altered and they never did. The show just wasn't ambitious enough. It was content to be an episodic, run of the mill action-adventure drama with pretty costumes and never aspired to be a bit more clever.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, bros402 said:

It wasn't NBC owned, so the licensing fees were probably the dealbreaker.

Network ownership seems really important these days, which makes me wonder why they don't deal with this when they green light the shows. Or maybe they do, but they don't see any money until after a certain point?

• Love 2

I'm getting the news late, been really busy til tonight, but I'm bummed too, but I had pretty much already accepted the fact that the show was gone. Then if it did get a renew, I'd have something to really be happy about. A lot of people over on the ratings site are pissed that Timeless got the ax and Blindspot got  a renewal, but I like Blindspot- yes, I know it's ridiculous and all that- and I thought it was gone, too. So at least I have that to be happy about. I lose shows I like every single year, and I'm getting old enough now that I'm almost* used to it !

• Love 1
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I hate to say it, but it's probably just as well. I'm sure I would have watched a second season, but I'm also pretty sure I would have had the same issues with it that I did all through Season 1. The quotes I'm reading from the show runners seem to indicate they didn't really understand what the problem with it was or that they would have moved to correct it. It's not that time travel shows just aren't popular or viable, it's that this show did not handle time traveling very well. Nothing the time travelers did in the past ever really affected their present day reality or history beyond making Lucy's sister disappear in the pilot. There were many instances where they should have returned to their own time to find their reality severely altered and they never did. The show just wasn't ambitious enough. It was content to be an episodic, run of the mill action-adventure drama with pretty costumes and never aspired to be a bit more clever.

I really think if the show hadn't wimped out on the set-up from their mid-season finale and they had actually altered things big-time this show would have come back. The enthusiasm for the show really took a nosedive when it became clear that we weren't going to see crazy alternative timelines.

• Love 2
(edited)

I figured this show was a long-shot to be renewed.  The three main cast members have great chemistry and it's a shame they can't work together anymore.  Though I have very little trust in these showrunners, and their blindspots, and the finale cliffhanger just didn't interest me.  It's a problem when 13 episodes later, I still couldn't care less about Rittenhouse or Flynn.

This article summarizes some of the cast/crew responses:
http://deadline.com/2017/05/timeless-canceled-stars-creators-react-cancellation-nbc-matt-lanter-abigail-spencer-malcolm-barrett-eric-kripke-shawn-ryan-1202089476/

Edited by Camera One

Too bad, I'm going to miss this show.  It was at least different from the crime shows on TV now, so now were much less likely to have any more time travel shows.  It felt like it was starting to find itself near the end there.

• Love 1

The enthusiasm for the show really took a nosedive when it became clear that we weren't going to see crazy alternative timelines.

Agreed. Ratings were actually pretty decent for the pilot - people were certainly willing to give the show a chance. It's not as if it were doomed right out of the gate. But the consistent erosion in viewers from week to week demonstrates how quickly the audience tired of the repetitive formula. I know that's the main gripe I heard from friends who also watched the show, that it was the same thing every week.

41 minutes ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

GDit!!  F*!  Siiiiiiiigh.  And this is why I go the 'wait and then binge' route on shows most the time.  First Limitless and now this.

As someone who loved Limitless too, I feel ya. It's hard for new shows that are different and light-hearted to survive, I've noticed.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/timeless-saved-cancellation-as-nbc-reverses-course-season-2-renewal-1003568

it is!!

Ten episodes next summer isn't ideal but... It's still a second chance and hopefully they'll push if forward.

Oh, I don't know.  The show can tell a lot of stories in only ten episodes, and truthfully, I think that number is ideal for a summer show.  Who knows, maybe the network will order more episodes (as I recall, Season 1 originally started out as a 10-episode shot) if the writers do these ten right, the timeslot is favorable, and the fans do their part.

That said, the first thing the show needs to address in a way that will make sense is some of the plot holes that drove viewers crazy in Season 1.  That's how they'll avoid alienating viewers.  Hopefully, the writers and showrunners have learned that lesson.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 4

Holy crap, I can't believe they uncancelled it! That's awesome. And yeah, I hope they address the issues viewers had. I want to see more time-travel-related consequences and less "idiot ball" stuff (don't give them another villain who juuuust manages to avoid being shot by a trained soldier every episode).

My dad watches this show (it's one of the few he regularly watches). He never reads or talks about shows online, but he was disappointed when I told him this got cancelled. He said that if it cost too much to make, he would have been fine with the team staying in each time period/location for a few episodes in a row. I wouldn't mind that either.

• Love 8

It sounds like it may even be spring according to one of the producers. The spring vs. summer details are being ironed out.  Whenever they come back, I definitely think they need to go for a more family friendly time slot. I'd also be okay if they stayed in certain time periods occasionally if it means saving money. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Wow, first that a show I liked was uncancelled. Thrilled for the cast and crew. I hope the writers take this opportunity to write a kick ass story next season. The big bad Rittenhouse stuff is not important to me. I just enjoy watching the three leads interacting and doing their thing and going on adventures. It's like The Librarians for me. It ain't that deep but it's fun and enjoyable.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 8
6 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

I read this as Matt Lauer and thought "Well he's a tad over invested."

Well had 10 episodes on our DVR that we hadn't gotten to and I deleted them when the news about the cancellation occured.

You should be able to catch up with it on Hulu, at the very least.

I can't wrap my mind around the un-cancelling! Is this all Rittenhouse messing with us?

I mean, it means we now have to sit around for a year-plus when we've been off new episodes for months already, but I'll take it! I hope that, given this big gap, the writers take the time to really make it a kick-ass run that does well.

Yay! :D

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, Randomosity said:

I can't wrap my mind around the un-cancelling! Is this all Rittenhouse messing with us?

I mean, it means we now have to sit around for a year-plus when we've been off new episodes for months already, but I'll take it! I hope that, given this big gap, the writers take the time to really make it a kick-ass run that does well.

I agree.  I'd rather see the writers, cast, and crew take their time and put some effort into solving the problems that viewers had with Season 1 (even if I have to wait a year to see the results) than have them throw some sucky crap together just so it can air come Fall 2017.  I'm a patient man.  I can wait a year for some quality (besides, I don't think the viewers are going to forget this show by the time Season 2 does start airing -- not when we worked so tirelessly to get it renewed in the first place!).

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, shantown said:

Timeless being un-cancelled feels like a 3 people course-corrected a glitch in history that caused it to not be renewed in the first place... :)

Funnily enough, the network said that its decision to reverse the cancellation was in part because "we didn't want to be on the wrong side of history."

Who says network execs don't have a sense of humor?

• Love 9

I'm in shock that it got uncancelled but so excited to know that I'll have a chance to see more time travel adventures with the Gang.  Spring or Summer 2018 can't come fast enough for me.  

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I read this as Matt Lauer and thought "Well he's a tad over invested."

Well had 10 episodes on our DVR that we hadn't gotten to and I deleted them when the news about the cancellation occured.

If your DVR is like mine, you may be able to recover them if you do it quick enough. I discovered they stay around a little while unless you also delete them from the trash (or whatever the deleted area is called). I don't know how other DVRs work, but that is how my cox contour DVR works. My really old cox DVR did the same before I switched. 

Edited by Stuffy
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

You can also get the whole season on Amazon Digital Video for 20$. I bought it as soon as it was cancelled, knowing that it would probably disappear from my cable's on-demand pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

I'd rather see the writers, cast, and crew take their time and put some effort into solving the problems that viewers had with Season 1 (even if I have to wait a year to see the results) than have them throw some sucky crap together just so it can air come Fall 2017.  I'm a patient man.  I can wait a year for some quality (besides, I don't think the viewers are going to forget this show by the time Season 2 does start airing -- not when we worked so tirelessly to get it renewed in the first place!).

Exactly. Do season 2 right. Milk this extra publicity regarding the bizarre cancellation/un-cancellation, promote the hell out of it in a new timeslot next year, show re-runs in the lead up to the next premiere, take the time to really get the plots/characters right, maybe make some budget adjustments to cut costs, and have it be enough of a success that it could even be sustainable in the longer term.

• Love 4