Type keyword(s) to search

Current Timeline: News and Media

It now has been weeks since the season finale and the announcement of the NBC UpFronts, which only include football for Sundays (meaning there is a blank schedule beginning early 2019).  Obviously, other things enter people's time with that delay, so people seem less interested, but it remains the fact that there is no reason to invest time into an NBC show if Timeless becomes the model for a good show not renewed.

Let's hope that NBC and Sony are simply working on something creative to keep this show going!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Cuhulin said:

It now has been weeks since the season finale and the announcement of the NBC UpFronts, which only include football for Sundays (meaning there is a blank schedule beginning early 2019).  Obviously, other things enter people's time with that delay, so people seem less interested, but it remains the fact that there is no reason to invest time into an NBC show if Timeless becomes the model for a good show not renewed.

I think World of Dance and Good Girls was scheduled there and that's probably because NBC wanted to revamp the lineup next season.

On 6/3/2018 at 7:32 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

...... why is it that good sci-fi shows - and myself, since I get screwed in the process - always get the shaft?

On 6/4/2018 at 12:51 PM, Free said:

Because these shows are usually niche and not mainstream enough, especially for broadcast television, so basically the big networks like ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX.

They either usually get sampled before dropping off hard later on or are low to begin with and stays that way.

You should have added SyFy to that list ;)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Free said:

Well that too, but Syfy is a different kind of mess altogether.

You mean you don't like Syence Fyction?  (Yes, I'm still mad about them "updating" their name.  And you damn kids who can't spell get off my lawn!)

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

You mean you don't like Syence Fyction?  (Yes, I'm still mad about them "updating" their name.  And you damn kids who can't spell get off my lawn!)

Well it hasn't exactly been a 'good' network, especially since the rebranding.

• Love 1
(edited)

Complete Guide to Save Our Show 2018 Campaigns: 'Shadowhunters,' 'Timeless' & More
Jessica Napoli   June 12, 2018
https://www.nwitimes.com/entertainment/television/complete-guide-to-save-our-show-campaigns-shadowhunters-timeless-more/article_d7ede560-df88-560a-98ad-2c859ad0f18b.html

Timeless
Hashtag: #SaveTimeless

The Season 2 finale aired in mid-May, but the show is still in limbo even though it has the support of major celebrities on social media.
According to episode stats, during the finale's broadcast on both East and West coasts, the series was trending at No. 1 in the U.S. and No. 2 worldwide. And within hours the hashtag #Timeless was mentioned nearly 305,000 times on Twitter, and #RenewTimeless over 120,000 times.

Even in Google searches, Timeless was trending at No. 2.
The NBC show just wrapped its second season, but there's been no renewal news for Season 3.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if the Timeless stars are contractually bound to the show only up to a certain date.

At a recent comic con, Lucifer star Lauren German said that, if another network were to pick up Lucifer (cancelled by Fox), it would have to happen by June 16th because they can't contractually audition for anything until June 16th, but are then free to go after that ('Lucifer' Star Reveals the Drop Dead Date to Save the Show).

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, tv echo said:

I wonder if the Timeless stars are contractually bound to the show only up to a certain date.

At a recent comic con, Lucifer star Lauren German said that, if another network were to pick up Lucifer (cancelled by Fox), it would have to happen by June 16th because they can't contractually audition for anything until June 16th, but are then free to go after that ('Lucifer' Star Reveals the Drop Dead Date to Save the Show).

I'm surprised the actors are staying quiet, although their job might be on the line. But I remember last year, Matt Lantner explained (via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram ???) the timing issue. My impression is that there's not a whole lot of time between a show ending and contracts being signed for a new one. I'm sure the exact time varies depending on the contract signed for the old show, but I'd be willing to bet that it's somewhere around mid-maybe end of-June. Another thing I don't know—but think is unlikely—is if there's some kind of extension clause. But someone would have to pay the actors for that extension, and who would that be? 

One other thing—I am willing to bet the actors know the fans are eager. So I find it telling that they AREN'T talking. I think if they aren't talking, that means there are some heavy duty negotiations going on, maybe to the point of where they're salaries are up in the air. But my main point is that the actors may have been told not to upset the apple cart, and things are THAT close, so they aren't talking.

• Love 3
(edited)
38 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I'm surprised the actors are staying quiet, although their job might be on the line. But I remember last year, Matt Lantner explained (via Twitter, Facebook, Instagram ???) the timing issue. My impression is that there's not a whole lot of time between a show ending and contracts being signed for a new one. I'm sure the exact time varies depending on the contract signed for the old show, but I'd be willing to bet that it's somewhere around mid-maybe end of-June. Another thing I don't know—but think is unlikely—is if there's some kind of extension clause. But someone would have to pay the actors for that extension, and who would that be? 

One other thing—I am willing to bet the actors know the fans are eager. So I find it telling that they AREN'T talking. I think if they aren't talking, that means there are some heavy duty negotiations going on, maybe to the point of where they're salaries are up in the air. But my main point is that the actors may have been told not to upset the apple cart, and things are THAT close, so they aren't talking.

They're not talking because they don't know anything NBC is the one keeping things quiet.

Other shows like Lucifer have had updates and insider info, we recently got confirmation about that show being in talks with Amazon recently.

We also knew about shows being in negotiations/talks like The Expanse before it was even picked up by Amazon.

Edited by Free

I'm still surprised that they (the actors) aren't saying something along the lines of "Hey, we don't know anything either, but we'll let you know." That's what social media is all about, and I know Lanter and Abigail are all over Instagram . . . but nothing about Timeless. I just find it odd, that's all. Yes, there many potential reasons why. Some I've guessed at.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, JackONeill said:

I'm still surprised that they (the actors) aren't saying something along the lines of "Hey, we don't know anything either, but we'll let you know." That's what social media is all about, and I know Lanter and Abigail are all over Instagram . . . but nothing about Timeless. I just find it odd, that's all. Yes, there many potential reasons why. Some I've guessed at.

Probably because they would have been saying the same thing over and over again for at least a month given the way NBC has been dragging this out.

• Love 2

This is so bizarre.  I don't ever remember a show being in limbo this long where someone didn't say something like its being shopped around.

Most of these other examples are shows that were cancelled but are trying to be saved by another net.  Limitless is the only show I recall getting the not cancelled but not renewed treatment.  But even then Moonves announced they were shopping it around even though it was technically in limbo.

It makes me think of that trend that started a couple years ago where every new show that failed didn't get cancelled.  They just reduced the episode order, beyond not picking up the back nine, and then never mentioned the show again.  I remember reading articles about why they were doing that.

I'm halfway to thinking that the contracts of the writers and actors are going to expire with NBC never saying a thing and as some point Kripke will just tweet out that the date of their contract passed and he guesses that's it.  Is this just a strategy to try to run out the clock where media and fans won't get attention when it ends with a "I guess it must be done" vs an announcement,

That seems crazy because why would they care that much about not announcing a cancellation.  But then I remember that they share a parent company with SyFy and they could teach classes in the most disrespectful way to cancel a show (and maybe they did).

• Love 1

I'm starting to wonder if they're just letting time run out too. If it's cancelled, just announce it and get it over with. If you're worried about backlash, people will get over it eventually. 

(edited)
2 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

This is so bizarre.  I don't ever remember a show being in limbo this long where someone didn't say something like its being shopped around.

Most of these other examples are shows that were cancelled but are trying to be saved by another net.  Limitless is the only show I recall getting the not cancelled but not renewed treatment.  But even then Moonves announced they were shopping it around even though it was technically in limbo.

It makes me think of that trend that started a couple years ago where every new show that failed didn't get cancelled.  They just reduced the episode order, beyond not picking up the back nine, and then never mentioned the show again.  I remember reading articles about why they were doing that.

I'm halfway to thinking that the contracts of the writers and actors are going to expire with NBC never saying a thing and as some point Kripke will just tweet out that the date of their contract passed and he guesses that's it.  Is this just a strategy to try to run out the clock where media and fans won't get attention when it ends with a "I guess it must be done" vs an announcement,

That seems crazy because why would they care that much about not announcing a cancellation.  But then I remember that they share a parent company with SyFy and they could teach classes in the most disrespectful way to cancel a show (and maybe they did).

Even then, Limitless wasn't dragged out through June and taking other shows into account, it hasn't taken those nearly that long for some of the other shows to get shopped around or negotiations to take place.

1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

I'm starting to wonder if they're just letting time run out too. If it's cancelled, just announce it and get it over with. If you're worried about backlash, people will get over it eventually. 

That seems to be the case at this point, waiting until the contracts expire (usually somewhere in June based on other shows).

Edited by Free

Question: How long do you think we are going to have to wait for a decision on Timeless? —Cheryl
Ausiello: Your guess is as good as mine, Cheryl. But I have a bad — bad, I tell ya! — feeling NBC is going to do a Friday-night-before-a-regular-summer-weekend news dump and Timeless‘ cancellation is going to be embedded in the middle of it. Weird. I just felt a tidal wave of déjà vu wash over me.

At this point I'd say a cancellation announcement is a mere formality. I have no idea why it isn't forthcoming but if anything it probably isn't even on NBC's radar enough for them to make an official announcement. It's pretty obvious at this point they have no interest in the show or its fan base. The only reason it survived its Season 1 cancellation was because of some network exec who really liked it and he's gone now, hence the shelving of Season 2 until late April and a late-night spot on Sundays. Ratings for the second season certainly wouldn't merit a renewal, especially given that it's not an NBC-owned property.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SiobhanJW said:

Lucifer was picked up by Netflix. 

Come on- I would like an answer about Timeless already. This is ridiculous. 

Lucifer was more active, in that there were more media articles/mentions regarding it being shopped around and negotiating, that's what makes Timeless' complete silence all the more baffling especially compared to other shows.

(edited)

Good for Lucifer. I've never seen it, but I'm happy for them. 

I think Lucifer was actually cancelled, so they could shop it around. They can't shop it until they actually know it's cancelled.  It's still owned by NBC.  If it's cancelled, then we'll hear about it being shopped around.  Unfortunately I don't see anyone picking it up.

Maybe negotiations are going on with Sony, but nobody involved with producing the show seems to know what's happening.  The last I heard, there was a four show Sony/NBC negotiation with Timeless, The Blacklist, and two new shows.  They picked up Blacklist and passed on the two new shows.  I think the shows they passed on even had good reviews for their pilots.  I remember at least one of them did.  That was forever ago though.  Not even the entertainment websites like tvline have a clue what's going on.

Oh to be a billionaire like the Amazon guy.  I'd just pick up the occasional show I liked myself.  I'd let the long time shows go, but the ones like Timeless that have only been on two years I'd snatch up.

Edited by Stuffy
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Stuffy said:

Maybe negotiations are going on with Sony, but nobody involved with producing the show seems to know what's happening.  The last I heard, there was a four show Sony/NBC negotiation with Timeless, The Blacklist, and two new shows.  They picked up Blacklist and passed on the two new shows.  I think the shows they passed on even had good reviews for their pilots.  I remember at least one of them did.  That was forever ago though.  Not even the entertainment websites like tvline have a clue what's going on.

That was the big Sony deal and that fell apart a while ago.

Blacklist got renewed but I think Sony had to make major concessions for that one like giving NBC more ownership.

LA's Finest had to be shopped around elsewhere to a smaller Canadian network.

8 minutes ago, Free said:

That was the big Sony deal and that fell apart a while ago.

Blacklist got renewed but I think Sony had to make major concessions for that one like giving NBC more ownership.

LA's Finest had to be shopped around elsewhere to a smaller Canadian network.

Yeah that's what I was saying. Only Blacklist was picked up from the deal Sony was trying to do. 

• Love 1

If a decision has been made to cancel it, I don't get why they haven't just announced it. Everything else was announced ages ago, and NBC has plenty of experience dealing with fan outrage over a cancellation. They've also had plenty of chances to do a late Friday news dump when people are distracted by bigger stories. Often in cases like this they'll wait to announce, but tell the cast they are free to book other projects and that doesn't seem to have happened here. 

Yeah, it seems like nothing about this is normal. Networks don't just forget about shows and let the contracts expire as a way of canceling them. They also don't just drag things on like this out of spite or some other reason. If they already decided to cancel the show, there's no reason not to announce it. Trying to wait out rabid fans doesn't make sense--why would they care if they're canceling the show because not enough people watched (therefore not that many people to boycott you or whatever and affect future ratings). Trying to prevent the show's studio from being able to shop it elsewhere also doesn't make sense. That would be bad business if you intend to work with these same people again. As far as I know this is the only show still in limbo (or maybe one of only 2-3). The only thing that might make sense to me is that they're somewhat interested, but only for the right price, and network/studio are in a negotiating stalemate, waiting to see who blinks. So either someone blinks and it's renewed, or it goes down to the wire, nobody blinks, and the contracts expire. Or I guess a third option, one or the other of them says forget it, we're clearly not going to agree, and they get canceled very shortly before the expiration to try to shop it around. I wonder if in cases like this a studio can put out feelers on the down low to other networks/streaming services.

• Love 1
(edited)
On June 16, 2018 at 12:01 AM, redpencil said:

they get canceled very shortly before the expiration to try to shop it around

So a show can't be "shopped around" until it's been cancelled? Hrm. Is there possibly some tax right- write-off benefit or other financial gain to doing this? I assume whatever the holdup is, it's all about the corporate budget.

A probably silly idea: Would the Nat Geo channel want this show?

Edited by shapeshifter
9 hours ago, Stuffy said:

Good for Lucifer. I've never seen it, but I'm happy for them. 

I think Lucifer was actually cancelled, so they could shop it around. They can't shop it until they actually know it's cancelled.  It's still owned by NBC.  If it's cancelled, then we'll hear about it being shopped around.  Unfortunately I don't see anyone picking it up.

Oh to be a billionaire like the Amazon guy.  I'd just pick up the occasional show I liked myself.  I'd let the long time shows go, but the ones like Timeless that have only been on two years I'd snatch up.

Yeah, Lucifer was actually cancelled, I think on the Friday when everything got canned.

7 hours ago, redpencil said:

Yeah, it seems like nothing about this is normal. Networks don't just forget about shows and let the contracts expire as a way of canceling them. They also don't just drag things on like this out of spite or some other reason. If they already decided to cancel the show, there's no reason not to announce it. Trying to wait out rabid fans doesn't make sense--why would they care if they're canceling the show because not enough people watched (therefore not that many people to boycott you or whatever and affect future ratings). Trying to prevent the show's studio from being able to shop it elsewhere also doesn't make sense. That would be bad business if you intend to work with these same people again. As far as I know this is the only show still in limbo (or maybe one of only 2-3). The only thing that might make sense to me is that they're somewhat interested, but only for the right price, and network/studio are in a negotiating stalemate, waiting to see who blinks. So either someone blinks and it's renewed, or it goes down to the wire, nobody blinks, and the contracts expire. Or I guess a third option, one or the other of them says forget it, we're clearly not going to agree, and they get canceled very shortly before the expiration to try to shop it around. I wonder if in cases like this a studio can put out feelers on the down low to other networks/streaming services.

Normally they don't and it's never taken this long for a show that's aired in season before on a broadcast network, there's no reason to drag it out either way as they've already decided on both renewals and cancellations a long time ago.

As for negotiating, that's a weird thing as shows like Brooklyn 99, Lucifer, and The Expanse were all cancelled first before it happened and they were picked up elsewhere, even then we got updates on their negotiations and being shopped around, while it's been radio silence here.

20 minutes ago, legaleagle53 said:

This should help set everyone's mind at ease somewhat.  Note that the FAQ specifically addresses the question of contract expiration:

That guy doesn't know anything, either. He is just speculating and stating his opinion as fact. He doesn't reference any unnamed sources at NBC or Sony or otherwise indicate that he has actual information from anyone with firsthand knowledge.

• Love 3
(edited)
21 minutes ago, orza said:

That guy doesn't know anything, either. He is just speculating and stating his opinion as fact. He doesn't reference any unnamed sources at NBC or Sony or otherwise indicate that he has actual information from anyone with firsthand knowledge.

Agreed, I've looked back at Matt Carter's previous articles, he's been saying the same thing over and over again for the last month that NBC dragged the decision out.

Articles like Deadline, THR, Variety, etc. are usually more reliable in giving actual updates on a show's status/possible negotiations/being shopped around like we did with Lucifer, The Expanse, Brooklyn 99, etc. before they were eventually picked up.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1
On 6/16/2018 at 2:08 AM, shapeshifter said:

So a show can't be "shopped around" until it's been cancelled? Hrm. Is there possibly some tax right-off benefit or other financial gain to doing this? I assume whatever the holdup is, it's all about the corporate budget.

A probably silly idea: Would the Nat Geo channel want this show?

What about the Smithsonian Channel?  They've included a column recapping each of the episodes of the second season, and the writer seems to love the show.

2 hours ago, j5cochran said:

What about the Smithsonian Channel?  They've included a column recapping each of the episodes of the second season, and the writer seems to love the show.

Or, for that matter, the History Channel, even though that channel has pretty much evolved WAY beyond simple history.

2 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Or, for that matter, the History Channel, even though that channel has pretty much evolved WAY beyond simple history.

Oh, you mean the Nazi / space aliens channel?

;-)

3 hours ago, j5cochran said:

Oh, you mean the Nazi / space aliens channel?

;-)

I love the nazi space alien channel!

Not really...

I preferred when it was about History. The closest historical thing they have now is Pawn Stars.

• Love 1

http://www.indiewire.com/2018/06/canceled-tv-shows-lucifer-timeless-shadowhunters-expanse-sense8-1201975426/

Current Status: To be determined. While most cancellation and renewal decisions for broadcast television have been made already, “Timeless” remains in flux (which is appropriate for a time travel show, but frustrating for fans).

Key Hashtags: #RenewTimeless

How Would It End? No spoilers, but a massive cliffhanger collided timelines and left a major character’s fate in jeopardy.

And it’s not only a fan favorite, but a potential Emmy contender, at least for its hair and wardrobe departments.

Odds of Returning: This one’s tough to predict. IndieWire asked Sony Pictures Television and NBC for comment on the show’s current status and will update this section if news becomes available, but right now we know that the show’s reversed cancellation after Season 1 was a jaw-dropping surprise. However, the ratings for Season 2 haven’t been great. However, once again, literally anything can happen these days, so perhaps no news is good news for fans — at least, for now.

• Love 2

I'm at the point now where I wonder if someone in PR was supposed to send the announcement of cancellation, and was sick that day, and now they're just waiting out contracts, etc. to save face.  "Jan, you had one job to do!"

• Love 5
(edited)

Well, NBC has announced its Fall 2018 premiere dates - and no Timeless (however, this schedule does not include Sat. or Sun.)...

NBC Announces Fall 2018 Premiere Dates
Posted by Assassin at June 19, 2018
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/06/nbc-announces-fall-2018-premiere-dates.html 

MONDAY, SEPT. 24
8 p.m. - The Voice
10 p.m. - Manifest

TUESDAY, SEPT. 25
8 p.m. - The Voice
9 p.m. - This Is Us
10 p.m. - New Amsterdam

WEDNESDAY, SEPT. 26
8 p.m. - Chicago Med
9 p.m. - Chicago Fire
10 p.m. - Chicago P.D.

THURSDAY, SEPT. 27
8 p.m. - The Good Place (one hour)
9 p.m. - Law & Order: SVU (two hours)

FRIDAY, SEPT. 28
10 p.m. - Dateline NBC

THURSDAY, OCT. 4
8 p.m. - Superstore
8:30 p.m. - The Good Place
9 p.m. - Will & Grace
9:30 p.m. - I Feel Bad
10 p.m. - Law & Order: SVU

FRIDAY, OCT. 12
8 p.m. - Blindspot

FRIDAY, OCT. 26
9 p.m. - Midnight, Texas

Edited by tv echo
40 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Well, NBC has announced its Fall 2018 premiere dates - and no Timeless (however, this schedule does not include Sat. or Sun.)...

I don't think anyone thought Timeless would be on the fall schedule. If it comes back, it would probably be a spring premiere like this past season, or even a true summer show. I will take it whenever (and wherever) we can get it!

• Love 1
2 hours ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I don't think anyone thought Timeless would be on the fall schedule. If it comes back, it would probably be a spring premiere like this past season, or even a true summer show. I will take it whenever (and wherever) we can get it!

I think last time, it was renewed in May and even then it was because it was taking Shades of Blue's place when that was decided on a final season and moved to Summer hence why this long wait is unusual because it didn't take nearly this long to decide back then.

2 minutes ago, Free said:

I think last time, it was renewed in May and even then it was because it was taking Shades of Blue's place when that was decided on a final season and moved to Summer hence why this long wait is unusual because it didn't take nearly this long to decide back then.

Oh, I agree this waiting on renewal is ridiculously long and unwarranted no matter when it ends up airing (assuming it's renewed). I was just pointing out that it's non-inclusion on the fall schedule didn't mean anything.

Just now, dargosmydaddy said:

Oh, I agree this waiting on renewal is ridiculously long and unwarranted no matter when it ends up airing (assuming it's renewed). I was just pointing out that it's non-inclusion on the fall schedule didn't mean anything.

Oh I know, I was just pointing out the circumstances it was in, comparing last season to this one.

It really does feel like NBC is waiting out the clock for the contracts to expire either way which is around this time soon I think, there's really no reason to drag it out this long.