Type keyword(s) to search

Lethal Weapon in the Media: "Well, I got news for you, Rog: I'm not crazy."

I think this was kind of a dick move from Wayans.  I think both him and Crawford were both completely immature and unprofessional about what went down last season.  If it came down to one of them being fired (Crawford) because the two of them couldn't work together and then Wayans turns around and quits, that's not cool.  Not cool at all.  He had to know when he signed up to be the star of the series that there were going to be long hours.  Now he says he's going to return to doing theater, not retiring.  So he's still going to miss family functions , etc due to work so his excuse for spending more time with his family sounds like a BS excuse, IMO.

On the positive side, I really like SWS in this role.  He's not an arrogant a-hole like Riggs and he doesn't look like he climbed out of a dumpster everyday.  If the show is cancelled, I hope SWS will get more job opportunities and not just be known for his "Stifler" role anymore.

• Love 20

Wow, I wasn't upset when Crawford was fired.  But I agree that it's a dick move for Wayans to push to get him removed from the show and now Wayans himself is leaving.  He's an idiot.

• Love 9

They should have killed both leads off at the end of last season, ending the show and then announce a spin-off with the B-team, Avery and Scorsese. I would have watched that.

I wonder if TPTB hadn't already decided to cancel the show and Wayans got wind of their decision and made this statement as some sort of preemptive strike. 'I'm not getting cancelled - I quit.'

Either way - I guess he thinks this is a power move but I'm not sure the universe agrees.

• Love 2

They should have killed both leads off at the end of last season

Or at least kept the one who wanted to stay on the show.*

*Not a Crawford fan, but at least he wanted to stay on the show.

• Love 7

Just judging by how well they integrated Cole into his first two episodes I wouldn't mind them trying to continue with say a Chris Rock type  Detective Butters being the partnership 

• Love 2

I'd be ok with trying a replacement to Roger (I'm enjoying the new guy and love the supporting cast) but I'd need them to find a way to keep Trish around. She's the best.

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, akg said:

I'd be ok with trying a replacement to Roger (I'm enjoying the new guy and love the supporting cast) but I'd need them to find a way to keep Trish around. She's the best.

My proposal time jump. Roger dies of natural causes and Cole remains family. bring the daughter to at least 18 and there is the Chris Rock  stand in Det Butters with a budding  relationship with her baby girl.

• Love 6

There was another item that Bailey is getting a new partner -a woman who is just like Riggs. Maybe the plan is to just make the two women the stars?

I actually like Cole a whole lot better than Riggs-the character I mean (actors too for that matter). I like that Cole’s actions are driven by his desire to not get anyone hurtwhere Riggs just wanted to solve the case as quickly as possible and didn’t care who got hurt. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Damn.  I really liked this show and yeah, it doesn't seem likely it'll get another season after this.    I have a shortage of comedies in my TV lineup to begin with and now I'm gonna lose this one.  Damn.

I only have The Good Place, for that now. Maybe anyone with suggestions, could post them in the small talk thread? I liked Imposters, when I found it on Netflix. I still need to watch the rest of the second season. 

Edited by Anela

Damon and Clayne are equally yolked assholes.

Fox should give Keesha/Trish her own legal drama spin-off.

Kill off Roger and focus on a Widowed Trish and the kids.

Sad irony, today is Seaan William,Scott's birthday.

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 4
8 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Wayans says he's done after completing the first 13 episodes due to health reasons.

They should've just cancelled this and kept The Exorcist for a third season. Or resurrected Pitch. Sheesh.

*sniff*  PItch.  Anyway, I was on Deadline and swore I misread the headline as click baity but nope--it's real.  And yes, hilarious, especially since I think Damon and Roger have been really good in these two episodes.

7 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

How does Wayans get work after this? This is just not how you do something like this. I understand health issues and being tired, but this is just so very unprofessional. 

Mandy Patinkin has walked off of at least two hour-long dramas after a season or two where he was heavily featured.  And for one of those shows, everyone was expecting him back and he basically no-showed at the beginning of a season. So while not the greatest move, Wayans is at least giving them a head's up compared to that.  I suspect he'll go back to doing what he was doing before--like stand up.  Or, if he wants a TV show, joining a sitcom.  Or creating something. 

3 hours ago, MostlyC said:

Or at least kept the one who wanted to stay on the show.*

*Not a Crawford fan, but at least he wanted to stay on the show.

If it indeed was an either/or choice.  That said, even though I think Riggs and Murtaugh had more chemistry, I'm vastly preferring Cole.

3 hours ago, akg said:

Yep.  That's where I am.  I don't want to lose Keesha Sharp.  I like Roger and Trish together, especially in last night's episode, but I could probably adjust to a new lead.  They just have a place for Trish.  New DA?  Send her to the police academy to become a cop after her husband's death? 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

New DA?  Send her to the police academy to become a cop after her husband's death? 

I was thinking the same thing, becoming Bailey's partner, but I think I'd just prefer to see her on a new show.

I loved Pitch, and The Exorcist. Just in response to the earlier post.

8 hours ago, WInterfalls said:

How does Wayans get work after this? This is just not how you do something like this. I understand health issues and being tired, but this is just so very unprofessional. 

He will get work, because he's Damon Wayans, and he is good, when he wants to be. 

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Anela said:

He will get work, because he's Damon Wayans, and he is good, when he wants to be. 

Heck, if he really was as miserable as he claims he has been, he's good when he doesn't want to be either. 

33 minutes ago, Anela said:

I was thinking the same thing, becoming Bailey's partner, but I think I'd just prefer to see her on a new show.

I think she merits something more than Bailey's partner considering Bailey's not on all that much. 

• Love 2

It doesn't affect me one way or the other but I read these comments before I actually saw the video and then I saw the video where he stated that two people had just had surgery within the last few weeks. Speaking from personal experience I can say that regardless of how you feel sometimes there can be circumstances that push you to make a decision. He may not have enjoyed the show and didn't want to be there, but maybe he did think that he could either fulfill his contractual obligations or at least make it through a third season without the drama that apparently had been going on but when his family had some serious health issues it caused a Breaking Point. It happens.

Or he could just be a diva. I get confused with those Wayans but isn't he the one that walked off Living Color and refuse to continue to do Homey the Clown?

I don't know why everyone is assuming that whatever is going on with him has anything to do with clayne Crawford. As someone said above I think both of them behaved terribly, the network made a decision, and now it is what it is. Someone stated on another forum that they bet Crawford and Brewster are somewhere laughing. Why would that be if they care so much for the show and the other cast and crew? It's just a sad situation for everybody else and as I said it before Damon is probably the one who financially can afford it the most. I don't know him and I don't know what his health issues are but I have a lot of diabetics in my family so I don't know what is being asked of him and if it's unreasonable or if he just really is making a choice for family above all. Whatever his motives what is done is done. For me it's not like this is Law and Order or something it was just mindless drivel to pass the time that was not a reality show

• Love 2
2 hours ago, catrice2 said:

It doesn't affect me one way or the other but I read these comments before I actually saw the video and then I saw the video where he stated that two people had just had surgery within the last few weeks. Speaking from personal experience I can say that regardless of how you feel sometimes there can be circumstances that push you to make a decision. He may not have enjoyed the show and didn't want to be there, but maybe he did think that he could either fulfill his contractual obligations or at least make it through a third season without the drama that apparently had been going on but when his family had some serious health issues it caused a Breaking Point. It happens.

Or he could just be a diva. I get confused with those Wayans but isn't he the one that walked off Living Color and refuse to continue to do Homey the Clown?

I don't know why everyone is assuming that whatever is going on with him has anything to do with clayne Crawford. As someone said above I think both of them behaved terribly, the network made a decision, and now it is what it is. Someone stated on another forum that they bet Crawford and Brewster are somewhere laughing. Why would that be if they care so much for the show and the other cast and crew? It's just a sad situation for everybody else and as I said it before Damon is probably the one who financially can afford it the most. I don't know him and I don't know what his health issues are but I have a lot of diabetics in my family so I don't know what is being asked of him and if it's unreasonable or if he just really is making a choice for family above all. Whatever his motives what is done is done. For me it's not like this is Law and Order or something it was just mindless drivel to pass the time that was not a reality show

I don't have much of a problem with his reasons. I do have a problem with the way he did that. You don't just ambush a show and by doing an impromptu interview designed to promote the show and announce you are out. His costars found out on social media rather than from him. And yes he is that Wayans from In Living Color. 

14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Mandy Patinkin has walked off of at least two hour-long dramas after a season or two where he was heavily featured.  And for one of those shows, everyone was expecting him back and he basically no-showed at the beginning of a season. So while not the greatest move, Wayans is at least giving them a head's up compared to that.  I suspect he'll go back to doing what he was doing before--like stand up.  Or, if he wants a TV show, joining a sitcom.  Or creating something. 

14 hours ago, Anela said:

I don't doubt that he will get work just more why anyone would want to take that kind of risk on him. 

• Love 3

What I think happened was that Clayne Crawford was right in that Wayans didn't want to do the show in the first place and didn't expect the pilot to get picked up... Wayans thought he would then get to do his own project instead.  So he acts the diva and refuses to do table reads or read the scripts in advance, or hold a gun, etc... and then when Clayne is directing an episode he sees his opportunity...  He calls in sick even though he isn't and does other things to put filming way behind schedule knowing that CC is a perfectionist with a temper when under stress - in this case directing an episode that is day(s) behind schedule.  

So he does what he can to make sure Clayne (along with other actors and a large part of the crew) gets fired thinking that the show will be canceled.

But no!... Wayans didn't factor in the unlikely possibility that they would recast the show and continue without Riggs! 

At this point he probably figures, well okay, the ratings will tank and it will be pulled from the air very quickly.  But ratings were not as bad as expected and they held steady for the second episode... so now Wayans has to admit that he is the one who really wants off the show - just as CC had reported in interviews - and announces he's quitting.   After getting the guy who really wanted to be there, and a bunch of other cast and crew, fired.

What a piece of work.  I'm not saying CC didn't behave badly,** but I think Clayne totally got played by Wayans who never wanted to be there in the first place, was jealous of attention the Riggs character received, and orchestrated the drama to get out of his contract.

His behavior reminds of reports years ago that Katherine Heigl used to purposely show up late to set on Roswell and would do whatever she could to make it difficult for production because she wanted out.   Passive aggressive people like that have no consideration for the rest of the cast and crew who might actually need their jobs.

I think it's true that an unusually large percentage of actors are rather extreme narcissists.

**After listening to Clayne's interview, I think his behavior is very understandable, and most people would probably behave similarly in that exact situation - directing his first episode while being days behind schedule due to sabotage by his diva co-star Wayans.  I felt sorry for the young actor that Clayne was trying to help in the footage that was used against him.  (I suppose you most of y'all probably already watched this. It confirmed everything I intuitively felt about what went down and filled in the details.) 

Edited by AnnaRose
Added the **comment.
  • Love 11

https://deadline.com/2018/10/damon-wayans-lethal-weapon-exit-behind-the-announcement-fox-1202475725/

from the article:

Wayans rarely does publicity for Lethal Weapon; he resisted/refused doing it early on and is not even asked to anymore. I hear EUR’s team was on the set of Lethal Weapon for Wayans’ co-star Keesha Sharp, who is making her directorial debut on the show with the episode now being filmed. There they got the interview with Wayans, who announced his exit from the show.

That's just an awful thing to do to Keesha Sharp. 

• Love 11
14 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Heck, if he really was as miserable as he claims he has been, he's good when he doesn't want to be either. 

I think she merits something more than Bailey's partner considering Bailey's not on all that much. 

And Bailey merits more of a storyline. Right?

They were both good, when they were apparently miserable. 

• Love 1

They'd take a chance if they felt he was uniquely talented for something....and maybe pad it by making him more a part of the ensemble.  I quit Homeland many seasons ago but had Mandy pulled a Mandy, it's the kind of show that's built to kill off anyone but Carrie. There was some protection there that was inherent in its structure that doesn't exist in Lethal Weapon.  The fact that they pulled it off once is a slight miracle.

2 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

I didn't watch the show but wow. Is Orlando Jones available for a recast?

How's Damon Wayans' Jr.'s show doing? If it gets cancelled, bring him on as Murtaugh's long lost first son from NY.  He can join the force and be the 'crazy one' to SWS's more stable Cole.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I understand his reasons. Health scares, and wanting to spend time with family, are excellent reasons for wanting to pull back from work. It's the way that he did it. 

I don't understand why they were expected to do a show that neither of them wanted to do in the first place. Is this a contract thing with Fox or the production company? It seems to me that bringing on people who do not want to be there, was the very first mistake. Then the actors get to take the fall for any problems, because they're the faces of the show. 

1 hour ago, WInterfalls said:

I don't doubt that he will get work just more why anyone would want to take that kind of risk on him. 

Because he's still a big name, in ways. he's the reason I tuned in, in the first place. I wasn't sure that Crawford (or anyone) would be a good Riggs, especially since so many people, including myself, loved the movies, and had trouble picturing anyone else in either role. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

How's Damon Wayans' Jr.'s show doing? If it gets cancelled, bring him on as Murtaugh's long lost first son from NY.  He can join the force and be the 'crazy one' to SWS's more stable Cole.

Sheesh, the pilot for 'Happy Together' is just out - Lethal Weapon has already wrecked enough havoc as it is, to wish cancellation on another show just get this trainwreck back on track is a bit much. Also, Junior just called Dad's decision 'bizzare' doubtful he's ready to pick up Dad's slack.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Sheesh, the pilot for 'Happy Together' is just out - Lethal Weapon has already wrecked enough havoc as it is, to wish cancellation on another show just get this trainwreck back on track is a bit much. Also, Junior just called Dad's decision 'bizzare' doubtful he's ready to pick up Dad's slack.

I didn't wish cancellation on it.  I just asked how it was doing.  New shows are hard to launch. That's realistic, not vengeful. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, AnnaRose said:

What I think happened was that CC was right in that Wayans didn't want to do the show in the first place and didn't expect the pilot to get picked up... Wayans thought he would then get to do his own project instead.  So he acts the diva and refuses to do table reads or read the scripts in advance, or hold a gun, etc... and then when CC is directing an episodes he sees his opportunity...  He calls in sick even though he isn't and does other things to put filming way behind schedule knowing that CC is a perfectionist with a temper when under stress - in this case directing an episode that is day(s) behind schedule.  

So he does what he can to make sure Clayne (along with other actors and a large part of the crew) gets fired thinking that the show will be canceled.

But no!... Wayans didn't factor in the unlikely possibility that they would recast the show and continue without Riggs! 

At this point he probably figures, well okay, the ratings will tank and it will be pulled from the air very quickly.  But ratings were not as bad as expected and they held steady for the second episode... so now Wayans has to admit that he is the one who really wants off the show - just as CC had reported in interviews - and announces he's quitting.   After getting the guy who really wanted to be there, and a bunch of other cast and crew, fired.

What a piece of work.  I'm not saying CC didn't behave badly, very badly, but I think Clayne totally got played by Wayans who never wanted to be there in the first place, was jealous of attention the Riggs character received, and orchestrated the drama to get out of his contract.

His behavior reminds of reports years ago that Katherine Heigl used to purposely show up late to set on Roswell and would do whatever she could to make it difficult for production because she wanted out.   Passive aggressive people like that have no consideration for the rest of the cast and crew who might actually need their jobs.

I think it's true that an unusually large percentage of actors are rather extreme narcissists.

I am not going to spend too much time speculating or villifying when  I don't know people. Perhaps my own personal experiences are coloring my view, but I just think it is possible that he did not plan it. Sometimes when you are emotional things just come out, so maybe it was not a part of a "master plan" or maybe it was. I don't know if he even indicated how his family members are doing, but if they have ongoing issues maybe that is a factor.  It is his own career he is playing with but unfortunately he is also hurting other people.  I have no idea what his contract says, but is sounds as if they were only given the 13 episodes and were going to make a decision after that, so perhaps he is fulfilling his part. 

I actually think the premise works even if it is not the characters from the movie, the difficult part would be how to keep Keesha Sharp around if the Murtaugh character leaves.  

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, catrice2 said:

I actually think the premise works even if it is not the characters from the movie, the difficult part would be how to keep Keesha Sharp around if the Murtaugh character leaves. 

Both his promotion and his cases over the past couple of years convinces the LAPD that Murtaugh should be assigned to a specialized local/state/federal/international crime taskforce. He shows up only a couple of times a year as a guest and maybe some phone calls.

Trish is highly recruited as an executive ADA.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Both his promotion and his cases over the past couple of years convinces the LAPD that Murtaugh should be assigned to a specialized local/state/federal/international crime taskforce. He shows up only a couple of times a year as a guest and maybe some phone calls.

Trish is highly recruited as an executive ADA.

Done!   Great idea, although I don't watch it enough to know how much the ADA is involved in the show.

After living through all the cast changes on Law and Order I don't think that anyone is all that crucial...besides I am a former Soap Opera nut......they recast/replaced people all the time.  I don't  get that attached to characters or actors for the most part. 

• Love 3
On ‎10‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:19 PM, Charlesman said:

Well, Wayans has always been a bit of a prima donna dick. So this is not out of character for him.

Remind me never to watch another one of his shows again. He should be thankful he was cast in a popular show. Especially considering the only role I recall him being in was "My Wife and Kids" and it was terrible. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Reality police said:

Imagine this: Get Clayne back, hire Gary Dourdan to play Murtaugh. Haven't worked out what to do with SWS yet.

Thoughts?

Mh...*looks at Gary Dourdan's Wikipedia*

In November 2011, he was arrested for felony battery, after allegedly breaking his girlfriend's nose, and placed on five years' probation. He was also ordered to attend 52 weeks of domestic violence counselling and to stay away from the victim for five years.

Sounds like a perfect match.

• Love 3
On 10/6/2018 at 11:22 AM, Reality police said:

Imagine this: Get Clayne back, hire Gary Dourdan to play Murtaugh. Haven't worked out what to do with SWS yet.

Thoughts?

He said that he would never watch Fox again. I doubt they can hire him back again. I wouldn't want to watch him in it again. But I'm just feeling done with it, and so much more in the world in general. 

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Anela said:

He said that he would never watch Fox again

Why doesn't he have an agent or someone to keep him from saying dumb shit like this?    Whatever happens I'm sure he'd like to remain a working actor.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

Why doesn't he have an agent or someone to keep him from saying dumb shit like this?    Whatever happens I'm sure he'd like to remain a working actor.

I don't think he cares. Personally, I can understand, but he does have a family to take care of.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

It was said last spring that he and his agent had parted ways because of (IIRC) the management of the incidents (Deadline or Variety? I don't remember but it's certainly linked upthread).

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

I enjoy this season very much, I'll gladly take two more. If it's a conclusion, even better for me -and for the cast if it they're officially free to pursue other options. It isn't unseen that a show with a short back order is renewed although I still don't think it will be the case here.

LW doesn't do worse than last spring (it tied series low this week at 0.7; some used the AMAs/an excuse bingo for their shows ticking down. We'll see, ABC's shows have yet to air) and is on par with what the two canceled comedies were doing last year in that slot (Fall to Fall), whereas ratings are down across the board. 

• Love 2

it had zero effect on the ratings

I don’t buy that for a second.  I am a believer that they play with the ratings after firing key players on a show.  Take Two and a Half Men, for example.  They were posting high ratings after Sheen, yet they moved it to Thursday, sandwiched between their 2 highest rated shows.  Why?  It was cancelled shortly thereafter.  

After reading so many Internet posts from people who said they would no longer watch without Crawford, there is no effect on ratings?  I’m not buying that.  The vast majority of posts were pro-Crawford.  

6 hours ago, Marci said:

I don’t buy that for a second.  I am a believer that they play with the ratings after firing key players on a show.  Take Two and a Half Men, for example.  They were posting high ratings after Sheen, yet they moved it to Thursday, sandwiched between their 2 highest rated shows.  Why?  It was cancelled shortly thereafter.  

After reading so many Internet posts from people who said they would no longer watch without Crawford, there is no effect on ratings?  I’m not buying that.  The vast majority of posts were pro-Crawford.  

It isn't a question of buying it or not, it's a question of what Nielsen numbers say. Cold, hard, real numbers.

Lethal Weapon hit series low with 0.7 in S2 (2x21) and its finale for S2 was 0.8. It began S3 with 0.8, and only tied its S2 series low since 2x03. There was no significant drop between Crawford's last episodes and the ones without him. People who stop watching a show because the co-lead changed do it immediately. It also changed timeslot, has a weak incompatible lead-in, and is now going against juggernaut This Is Us: One could have expected way worse. I know I did. 

In the real world, posts on the net mean zilch, either because the posters didn't watch the show live to start with, don't live in the US so don't count to start with, aren't in the 18-49 demo (too old/too young) so yep they don't count to start with etc. And above all, social media presence or internet buzz does not automatically translate into viewership or affects it. Big Names can have millions of followers and see their shows flop hard (Rob Lowe just had three cancelled in a row, including two after a season IIRC, whereas he's huge on Twitter). The CW shows have a huge buzz on the net, but their ratings are mostly downright embarrassing.

LW is on hiatus now so it could drop again upon returning and don't worry, it's 90% cancelled anyway. But it won't be because Crawford was fired. Again, the ratings drop last winter/spring made it a bubble show and would have warranted a cancellation anyway.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, Marci said:

I don’t buy that for a second.  I am a believer that they play with the ratings after firing key players on a show.

That's not how ratings work.  The networks can't play with the numbers.  Nielsen is the industry standard for ratings, flawed though it is.  It is an independent measuring system.  The networks don't have any say in what numbers Nielsen publish every day. 

Now, the networks can (and do) sabotage shows by not promoting them, playing time-slot roulette, pre-emptions etc.  But if LW has been holding steady with their S2 numbers on a different night against bigger competition even with CC gone, then he wasn't the draw for the general viewing public. 

By contrast, a show like Sleepy Hollow, for instance, bled viewers after killing off a popular main character.  They lost 40% of the viewers in the demo and over a 1.5 million viewers total from Season 3 to season 4. And was finally cancelled after S4 with a cut short season.

• Love 6