Type keyword(s) to search

Lethal Weapon in the Media: "Well, I got news for you, Rog: I'm not crazy."

I wonder how hard recasting will be. On one hand a job is a job - on the other that's a job with a lot of baggage, no wonder several actors already declined. And apparently it has to be done until Monday *phew*

7 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I wonder how hard recasting will be. On one hand a job is a job - on the other that's a job with a lot of baggage, no wonder several actors already declined. And apparently it has to be done until Monday *phew*

It should be done tomorrow at "worst". Maybe they're looking into someone whose show was cancelled in yesterday's bloodbath. My best answer would be Maggie Q, but it's probably not in that direction they're looking.

Actors might be wary of accepting a job on a show that is a PR trainwreck, it's their career that can be derailed.

Not sure if anyone is following CC and DW on Twitter, but Hillary Burton posted a tweet very much in support of Crawford and all of the sudden Wayans is liking and re-tweeting tweets that support keeping Crawford on the show. Sure seems like some shady AF stuff going on. 

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't follow any of them, so I checked out.

1 hour ago, missbonnie said:

Not sure if anyone is following CC and DW on Twitter, but Hillary Burton posted a tweet very much in support of Crawford and all of the sudden Wayans is liking and re-tweeting tweets that support keeping Crawford on the show. Sure seems like some shady AF stuff going on. 

Hilarie Burton tweeted only once about LW since the BI was revealed (22/04) and it was what I posted above. It isn't "in support of Crawford" alone -although she clearly appreciated working with him, a lot, she even wished him a happy birthday two days before the news broke- nor does she take sides or comment on the issue at hand, as you can see.

There is indeed something going on on D.Wayans' side. He didn't like any tweet mentioning LW (or any, really) since mid-January. On the other hand, he did retweet messages in support of Crawford a few hours ago, including this little jewel:

(posting this one here because it's a very weird thing for him to retweet, since it's accusations based on rumors against him). Then he tweeted about being sick:

He mentions not being able to fly whereas he was supposed to be in NY (for the upfronts? Chemistry test?). I don't know if he's serious ot not, although it doesn't sound like a skit. Nevertheless and no matter my personal feelings towards D.Wayans, the fangirls and fanboys who answered this tweet are downright vicious. And, needless to say, beside the point. The issue wasn't "Rift between two stars endangers show". It was "Abusive behavior of one star endangers show".

If Wayans is supposed to be at the upfronts, then LW is unofficially renewed.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1

Clayne posted an Instagram earlier saying that he just woke up and still hasn't been told anything. It appears he deleted it, so maybe they finally told him. I don't know. We know he messed up because he admitted to it.

Hilarie did respond to someone about how well Clayne treated her on set.  She talked about the behavior she saw from him on set and how his wife and kids even babysat her son when she couldn't find anyone. Abigail Spencer liked the tweet when Clayne shared it. So whatever issues he has doesn't seem to be with his female costars  

• Love 5

Damon seemed to be implying that someone's support of Clayne was racist, last night. I don't think any of this should be playing out on twitter, but I also understand the need to defend one's self, or to set the record straight. 

I thought the retweets of clayne support were sarcastic at first, but maybe he just doesn't want to lose his job. 

(edited)
19 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

According to The Hollywood reporter, Warner is still trying to recast. It seems that if LW doesn't comeback, Gotham will.

I posted this in the Gotham forum but it could be of use here:

What gets me is that before Lethal Weapon had its issues, Gotham was still a "bubble" show, a show FOX seemed confident in renewing if it could find a way to do so. Yet the way the chatter is now, Gotham would have been a surefire cancellation if Clayne Crawford wasn't a jackass.

What changed? Are the LW producers trying to play games by getting its fans to turn on Gotham and pin the blame on that show for their show's cancellation? Are the Gotham producers trying to gain some kind of leverage with FOX or Warner Brothers by suggesting they're "playing favourites"?

I feel like there's way more to this story than what we're being told.

Edited by Danielg342

Hmmmmmm.  

Short of an amazing stunt recast or the (unlikely) event that the network commands Crawford and Waynes to suck it up and work with each other, I think Gotham has the edge.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I posted this in the Gotham forum but it could be of use here:

What gets me is that before Lethal Weapon had its issues, Gotham was still a "bubble" show, a show FOX seemed confident in renewing if it could find a way to do so. Yet the way the chatter is now, Gotham would have been a surefire cancellation if Clayne Crawford wasn't a jackass.

What changed? Are the LW producers trying to play games by getting its fans to turn on Gotham and pin the blame on that show for their show's cancellation? Are the Gotham producers trying to gain some kind of leverage with FOX or Warner Brothers by suggesting they're "playing favourites"?

I feel like there's way more to this story than what we're being told.

Most viewers don't know and don't care about who produces the show, how renewal/cancellation works etc. They have no idea whatsoever that one show is pitted against the other*. Most viewers aren't part of a fandom. Blaming a show for another's demise is a fandom reaction. The studio cares about "most viewers", and about money. I don't see what WB would have to win if they dragged another show into Lethal Weapon's PR nightmare, or allow the producers of both shows to do so.

Gotham is the worst-rated FOX drama, bar the Exorcist, and the ratings took a nosedive recently. It's enough to explain FOX's change of heart about a cancellation: Everything below "The X-Files" (except two comedies, one already pulled  off schedule) is gone, including Lucifer which has better ratings than Gotham and it was also a safe bet. If the producers tried to gain some leverage, they'd be opposed the cold hard numbers.

As for Lethal Weapon, it made its own bed; it would be quite difficult for the producers to pin their BTS issue on Gotham. Moreover, from what I've seen yesterday on Twitter, the angry mob of online fandom found their scapegoat (and mind you, it isn't the one who actually behaved like a jackass). They don't need to blame Gotham.

Because I guess it has more episodes than Lucifer, syndication yada-yada, Gotham got a last-minute reprive; that's all.

Imo, bar a couple of, ahem, very very passionate fans, one show's demise won't affect the other's ratings. There might be some overlap but once they're reduced to their core viewership (and with fractional numbers, they are) cop shows and comic book shows seem to have a rather different audience anyway.

*Which might be the case, but the reporting about renewal/cancellation isn't 100% exact. The sources that talk about "either" or "or" might be inaccurate, it could be a personal "logical" deduction. After all, they said that an Elementary renewal was "unlikely". Most studios try to negotiate packages, so who knows.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Danielg342 said:

Stiffler as a cop. I might give this a go, especially if Gotham is now a goner.

Actually, I was going to return the favor and post in the Gotham forum that according to this article, it's still considered in spite of LW's renewal :)

There is no renewal decision yet on WBTV’s remaining series at Fox, Gotham, which is still being considered for next season.

Edited by Happy Harpy
3 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

Actually, I was going to return the favor and post in the Gotham forum that according to this article, it's still considered in spite of LW's renewal :)

Oh I know. I'm just bracing for the worst, really.

I really want to know what happened now. 

I don't think the pileup on Wayans was warranted, and other people are standing up for Clayne (Michael Raymond-James is one I just saw). Someone called Kurt Yaeger. Bruce Mckinnon. 

16 hours ago, Danielg342 said:

I think the issue is that FOX got football and basically cancelled most of its bubble shows and only one show on FOX right now isn't produced in-house---that's Lethal Weapon.  And it'll be two if they give more episodes to Gotham.

My guess is a lot of it depended on how much WB is willing to pay to produce the show.  How much does it make off of LW vs. Gotham both on FOX and internationally.  And what was the cost/benefit analysis for FOX on both of these shows.

• Love 2

Well, plenty of jobs saved it seems. Smart move to bring in a new character. The writers definitely have their work cut out for them. The franchise (and the buddy-cop formula) require Murtaugh to be partnered with somebody wild with lots of drama in his back - yet Not-Riggs can't be a carbon-copy of not one but two prior incarnations of the character. I'm having doubts that the show will survive beyond season 3.

Who knows what really happened?  I wish more shows would fire people who act up on set.  Everyone keeps talking about a second chance...sounds like he got one, as did Robert Downey Jr. back in the day.  Box office, viewership before the show wise, name recognition, etc.  face it Wayans was the big name on the show, deserved or not. Whatever was in his contract the producers/showrunners agreed to before they went ahead with the show.  I hate when shows favor one actor over another, but hey, that's the name of the game.   Maybe they did have an issue and resolved it and he really did not  want him to leave, but whatever it was that Crawford did had bigger implications that the studio could not ignore.  Sometimes things just don't work out. I'm sure the rest of the cast will be very careful about choosing sides as they would like to keep their job.  He may be a nice guy, but I would not take the fact that he was nice to some people as evidence that he is that way with ALL people. 

I personally though the Riggs character was  written too over the top and that they spent way too much time on his issues.  To each their own, but I liked the relationship with Murtaugh and his family and his relationship with the captain way more than the Riggs drama. They made him too needy.

Hopefully the new character won't be a carbon copy....they still have to work the shrink in somehow so someone will be seeing her.   I also hope they show Riggs as recovered and moving to Texas instead of dead, even if they fake  his death .  I also liked the way they had started to mix up the team a little bit ..Riggs with Bailey, etc. 

Don't know that I will watch next year, but there is precious little on television. I found it just something to do, but even that only holds you for so long. I used to watch Blue Bloods  out of a lack of anything else on Friday but got tired of them favoring Wahlberg and it was just boring .  It probably was not long before this show moved to that level for me. 

• Love 1

Deadline:

There is chatter that Scott could play Riggs’ brother.

I'm going to say no thanks to yet another unknown sibling.

Damon has gone silent on social media but Clayne expressed his congrats to the cast and crew on the renewal.

• Love 2

Honestly wasn't expecting a renewal. While I'm glad as far as the crew goes, I think this is a huge mistake. The series/films is about MARTIN Riggs/Roger Murtaugh. Now this just seems like another generic cop show.

"Stiffler" with a badge is such an odd thought...

• Love 4

^I wholeheartedly agree. This has gone from Lethal Weapon to being just another buddy cop show now, and I really don't think it's going to work. 

Also, the idea of Scott portraying someone with the Riggs surname is...awful, imo, and will make an already bad decision even worse. This isn't a premise where anyone with that last name can play Murtaugh's partner and everything will be hunky dory. 

I guess it will be watchable if they rein in Scott's tendency to be an unadulterated ham, but for me, it certainly won't be Lethal Weapon anymore. 

• Love 3

From the Deadline article:

I hear WBTV would not deliver the series to Fox with Crawford in it. According to sources, the decision to replace the actor was not made lightly, as it could’ve jeopardized the future of a series that is a profit-generator for the studio, and it stems from the studio’s zero tolerance policy on behavior that is deemed inappropriate.

I'll give the new version a chance, if only because for once Hollywood does the right thing and doesn't tolerate crappy behavior on set; of course it would have cost them lots of money in lawsuits if they tolerated it, but still. It's a pity that the future of the show is in jeopardy anyway. I hope it won't dissuade producers to protect their cast and crew.

1 hour ago, halopub said:

Damon has gone silent on social media but Clayne expressed his congrats to the cast and crew on the renewal.

Damon Wayans said his Twitter was hacked, and got into private mode. I can't blame him (damn) with the tinfoil hat brigades harassing him. C.Crawford changed his careless  public attitude, maybe he didn't believe they would fire him until they announced his replacement; it's good that he thought of his castmates.

If I like the trailer for next season, the tone and chemistry, I'll check out the season premiere. Knowing, indeed, it won't be the same show.

• Love 1

Stiffler has Riggs?  Or his long lost brother?

I dunno...can Sean Williams Scott do drama as well as comedy?  Or will Lethal Weapon just be a comedy?

Glad that it's got another season, but my expectations for the show's success are very, very low.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Stiffler has Riggs?  Or his long lost brother?

From what I read..."He is to play a new character opposite series regular Damon Wayans in the series based on the film franchise of the same name."  Maybe his character will be named Marvin Briggs.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Honestly wasn't expecting a renewal. While I'm glad as far as the crew goes, I think this is a huge mistake. The series/films is about MARTIN Riggs/Roger Murtaugh. Now this just seems like another generic cop show.

"Stiffler" with a badge is such an odd thought...

Indeed. If they wanted a generic buddy cop show, I wish they had just brought back "Fastlane."  I loved that show back in the day. 

• Love 5

I'm still not interested in a season three, not now. One of my other favourite shows was cancelled: Kevin (Probably) Saves The World. The show that got me through a really difficult winter, along with The Good Place. I'm sick of this.

• Love 2

I’ll watch the first episode of the new season just to see how they end Riggs but that’s all. As a huge Rectify fan, I started with this show because of Crawford. If he’s out, so am I. 

• Love 3

Fox Finally speaks.

From a fan pov, I am bummed that Clayne is gone because I did think he and Wayans had god partner chemistry.  But then again, I don't have to work with the guy.

I'll still give the show another try.  In everything it will all depend on how entertained I am by the show.  He's not a deal breaker for me  and I hate to reward bad behavior.  Whether I stick with the show will completely depend on what is on screen.

• Love 6

We stopped watching the show a few episodes in largely due to the fact that we didn't like the Riggs character. He just came across as smarmy. It was disappointing because we loved the characters in the movie franchise. We'll definitely give the new season a try. 

34 minutes ago, Dixie Sugarbaker said:

I figure it is either a drug problem or he really, really pissed someone important off.

A drug problem would explain a lot. The secrecy, the mandated therapy, the difficult behaviour. All while still gaining support from some of the cast/crew. He probably unloaded on someone important at WB.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Dixie Sugarbaker said:

I figure it is either a drug problem or he really, really pissed someone important off.

It could be drugs, the way he joked about the situation was so tone deaf. Or he's the kind of person who's absolutely lovely with his peers and horrible with those who are "beneath" him on the food chain.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

It could be drugs, the way he joked about the situation was so tone deaf. Or he's the kind of person who's absolutely lovely with his peers and horrible with those who are "beneath" him on the food chain.

I thought the first problem sounded like he was worried about his safety, as well as anyone else in a scene. I can't remember the original comments now. 

1 hour ago, Anela said:

I thought the first problem sounded like he was worried about his safety, as well as anyone else in a scene. I can't remember the original comments now. 

That was his position in his Instagram post--that he was worried about safety.  But it led to him having to pay some of his salary to someone else and go to mandated therapy. Personally, I find it hard to align his punishment if it was truly only about safety.  So there's either more to the story or his reaction would have had to be a massive overreaction.   Ironically, the second issue was about safety too but this time, he was directing that time.

6 hours ago, Dixie Sugarbaker said:

I thought drug issue too, especially if this escalated in the second season.

• Love 3

https://twitter.com/DamonkWayans/status/996194868610220032

https://twitter.com/DamonkWayans/status/996193257821368321

I don't know how to take screen shots of these on a macbook. I hadn't realized that he set his account to private, so maybe no screenshots - although they'll probably be circulated anyway. He's blaming Clayne for an accident that happened when he directed an episode. Sounds like he thinks it was deliberate.

1 minute ago, Irlandesa said:

That was his position in his Instagram post--that he was worried about safety.  But it led to him having to pay some of his salary to someone else and go to mandated therapy. Personally, I find it hard to align his punishment if it was truly only about safety.  So there's either more to the story or his reaction would have had to be a massive overreaction.   Ironically, the second issue was about safety too but this time, he was directing that time.

I thought drug issue too, especially if this escalated in the second season.

See my post above. Damon Wayans seems to be blaming him for an accident that happened when *he* directed. As if it were deliberate. 

Both actos and the network/Warnwe Bros are not coming out of this smelling like roses.  Read some gossip about Crawford working super high (which is sort of like showing up drunk to work), and Wayans is looking like a divo.  I am hoping we'll learn more as the weeks/months go by.  I suspect it was a him or me situation, and Wayans is the bigger star of the two. I'm sad viewers won't get to see the show as the show continue as runners/writers/producers originally envisioned it.

Honestly, I would have cancelled it.

• Love 1

Wayans posted this, too:

Since @warnerbrostv is not defending me at all.. here’s another photo of images other people were posting in and around the lot. Not me! He became UNINSURABLE! Relished in making female cry. And stuck fear in cast and crew. #dontblameme

The sign has a picture of Clayne, calling him an emotional terrorist. 

"He hit another actor in the mouth with a bottle of green tea and busted his mouth open. @lancehenriksen a white man!!! #notanaccident #knowyourfacts!"

I googled, and his tweets are being spread, so I posted.

(edited)

There were two incidents that C.Crawford admitted to.

The first one, he said he was worried about safety; Deadline said in a nutshell that he treated an AD and a director like crap (exact wording linked on previous pages). The second one, when he directed, an actor (rumored to be Damon Wayans) was hurt for lack of safety; Crawford said he took responsibility because he was directing, implying he wasn't directly responsible.

Now we have official word and what I read not so between the lines is "we wish we could have swept everything under the rug and kept him (because money money dollars bills)". They couldn't. There's no way an outburst of anger and an accident he wasn't really responsible for forced the studio to fire him and go against the network's obvious wishes. No way.

If Wayans mistakenly feared for his safety or was just jellus, the studio would have placated him with plenty of money, a bigger trailer, a title of producer, more directing spots than Crawford if he wanted etc. Hush, hush, nothing made public.

If Crawford deliberately endangered Wayans, not in a homicidal intention but for example by not listening to the FX team's recommendations in order to follow his "vision" (pure speculation) it would be a whole other business.

There is evidence to support the allegations against Crawford: the penalties, his firing, etc. There is nothing, at least so far, to support the theory of Wayans' jealousy but rumors, mostly made up by fans who can't accept that someone can be a good actor, have good qualities, but also have a dark side and can lose it at times.

Clayne Crawford might have issues, he might have suffered from temporary insanity born out of sudden ego inflation, etc. But it's his behavior the responsible for this mess. Blame goes to him, and to him only.

Edit: The tweets posted above would explain a lot of things, actually. Becoming uninsurable would be the most logical reason why the studio had no choice.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Happy Harpy said:

There is evidence to support the allegations against Crawford: the penalties, his firing, etc. There is nothing, at least so far, to support the theory of Wayans' jealousy but rumors, mostly made up by fans who can't accept that someone can be a good actor, have good qualities, but also have a dark side and can lose it at times.

There are a few reasons people are pointing Wayans way.  Clayne, in one of his posts, heavily implied it was Wayans behind the info getting out. I don't think he said his name specifically but as more details came out about some of the incidents, and other actors spoke out while Wayans remained silent, it became pretty clear who he was talking about.

• Love 1

Clayne being uninsurable is the key. They can't go on with him if that's the case, which is probably what forced everyone's hand in firing him.

The question then is what made him uninsurable. It adds weight to the theory he has a drug problem which escalated. It would certainly explain why he was throwing any kind of punch at a 78 year old fellow actor! The mandated therapy was probably done to try and salvage things with the insurers who threatened to pull out. Studios will put up with just about anything as long they're making money. So it had to have become a practical road block that Fox and WB couldn't overcome.

• Love 1