Type keyword(s) to search

Pitch Anticipation

For me this really risks being a "too soon" kind of thing. I mean the real sport has barely managed to get a female coach. It seems kind of hypocritical that MLB is cooperating with this, but can't even point to a real example where it's happened for real. 

I'm just saying, I wish they'd already put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. This is a sport that's had a one-armed pitcher. Why's a woman been so far behind?

Good question! I think a lot of it has to do with opportunity. Girls are steered toward softball growing up, not baseball. What if more girls learned to play baseball and were given the opportunity to fine tune their game like boys are? It starts at that level.

• Love 1
(edited)

Pitch hooked me as soon as I saw the scene of two black women having a deep conversation and sharing their feelings, as close friends are known to do.  Fox greenlit a show where a black person gets to have an actual black friend?  What??!!  I have got to see this!

Edited by LydiaMoon1
  • Love 6

Okay, they got me with the trailer. I cannot wait to see this. All this diversity on FOX freaking shocking, but it used to have tons of diverse and edge shows which it dumped once it started to make profit so we will see.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2016 at 4:58 PM, Kromm said:

For me this really risks being a "too soon" kind of thing. I mean the real sport has barely managed to get a female coach. It seems kind of hypocritical that MLB is cooperating with this, but can't even point to a real example where it's happened for real. 

I'm just saying, I wish they'd already put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. This is a sport that's had a one-armed pitcher. Why's a woman been so far behind?

Agreed, but, sometimes it helps being seen on TV to get the public used to the idea.  For example, we saw black presidents on TV (and maybe in the movies?) for many years before we finally got a real one in the White House.  We've also seen women presidents and now we might finally have one.  

I will say, this isn't the first time I've seen a show about a female MLB player (not counting a League of their Own).  There was a movie, TV movie I think, way back, like over 20 years ago, that was about the same thing, though I don't think she was a pitcher.  I can't find the movie, but I remember the female player had long dirty-blond hair.  Maybe it was just minor league.  I recall one main issue was whether she could hit 90+ mph balls.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2016 at 6:23 PM, Sweets McGee said:

Good question! I think a lot of it has to do with opportunity. Girls are steered toward softball growing up, not baseball. What if more girls learned to play baseball and were given the opportunity to fine tune their game like boys are? It starts at that level.

More girls are now playing baseball so it's possible that we may see more high level women players in the next decade. Hopefully this show will help ignite that dream for many.

• Love 1