Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Wedding Warfare

Taylor confronts her mother-in-law and warns her not to cause trouble during the wedding; Mayur disrespects Maneka in front of his friends; and Vicki and Ben have their first big fight.

Last episode I noticed that Ben’s mom doesn’t cover her head. This time I noticed that his dad doesn’t wear a yarmulke.

Ben acting like there are no other Orthodox Jews in Manhattan was driving me crazy. You can get kosher food in Manhattan. If he’s from Far Rockaway and just wants to live there because his family is there, or if he can’t afford (do they have jobs? She’s a student; what about him?) Manhattan, that’s one thing, but to act like Far Rockaway is the only part of NYC that has Orthodox Jews is just nuts, and patently false. 

From the recap: Ben isn't willing to listen to her side or bend the rules for her, probably at least in part because he has no motivation to do so. The community is always going to back him, especially when he's trying to make decisions that keep them closer to the community.

Yep, and I think that's what's frustrating for Vicki. She's probably used to being heard. She does seem bright and like she's used to having discussions that lead to compromise. Hearing "This is the way it's done" with no regard for any points she's bringing to the table has got to be frustrating for her.

Taylor (color me shocked that she was in pageants her whole life) and her husband should have had the conversation about where they would live before they got married. I don't like Taylor at all, but that trailer is shitty, I'm sorry. Is it REALLY that much cheaper than a basic one-bedroom would be? Does Taylor have a job? And does she sleep in all that makeup, or was that just for TV?

Maneka is ... a lot. Very needy. Did she JUST get divorced? I don't like Mayur, but I did like him telling her she's not the only one to have had a shitty relationship. 

• Love 6

Hearing "This is the way it's done" with no regard for any points she's bringing to the table has got to be frustrating for her.

Oh, definitely. At the same time, that "this is the way it's done" in this community is something literally everyone in the tri-state area understands. Do I think she "should" fall in line? No, not really. But that's what this community expects, and it's not a secret, at all. It's like joining the Army and then trying to bargain about the push-ups. I can't do them either, so I...didn't join the Army. 

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

Oh, definitely. At the same time, that "this is the way it's done" in this community is something literally everyone in the tri-state area understands. Do I think she "should" fall in line? No, not really. But that's what this community expects, and it's not a secret, at all. It's like joining the Army and then trying to bargain about the push-ups. I can't do them either, so I...didn't join the Army. 

Right. I wonder where she goes to school. If it's Columbia or Barnard, there's a big Orthodox population there. (I'm a Columbia alum & there were lots of Orthodox Jews on campus, very active Jewish student organizations, a few dorm floors segregated by gender where those students lived, etc.) Her friends seem to be Orthodox (I'm guessing; none wear pants, if I recall correctly). She was raised Jewish so she'd have at least a passing familiarity with the more stringent customs. And while I get that having a familiarity with the customs and living them are two different things ... she does seem a little more naive about what it means to be in that life than I would expect.

I really want to see more of Vicki's parents. I'd think they'd be more involved with the wedding planning (I'm sure the parents are paying). Her mother didn't seem into this at all. I wonder if this is some Friday Night Lights Lyla Garritty mega-church rebellion. It's a safe form of rebellion - no one is going to tell her to stop - but I wonder if Vicki's mom is thinking "Yikes, this is really going too far."

• Love 2

Please tell me Vicki backs away from this relationship. Ben's shocked by her non-total compliance with his wishes and that ain't good. She keeps seeing the things she wants dismissed one by one and that makes little to no sense. Orthodoxy isn't for everyone, Vicki, I'm looking at you.

Hey, Melba, you klassy blue boa lady, your son lives in a pig stye of a death trap and nobody's good enough for him? Is Melba the usual cleaning lady---on strike because he married Taylor? Hahahahahaha, I love these people. They're trying hard to sell this nonsense---Taylor had only seen your trailer a few times and what? You'd tidied it up for your girlfriend, but brought your bride into your real world? Hilarious, producers! I am, however, hoping we get a peek at Taylor's mother's revenge---best served cold, I guess.

• Love 5

The crazy, it hurts. Between the fancy wedding/venue/Southern finger foods buffet/faux fur wrap in Texas contrasted with the nastiest trailer a bachelor ever did live in (no hot water, no stove, no door to the toilet, and apparently no dish soap!) --  this couple? doomed. Doomed, y'all.

Then we have the still-raw divorcee who volunteers to bring a veggie tray (!!) to poker night with the guys, volunteers to get them drinks and bring up the pizza... but bitches about being treated like a maid... Girl, please. In these cases, you were a volunteer talking about being a victim. You need to deal with that before any marriage is going to work out. Or, you know, life.

But the best crazy is reserved for a young couple who are both still in school, planning a wedding in between school projects and assignments. Um, maybe plan the wedding during break time? Ask for help from the large community that he needs to be so near? Or, wait -- the best idea yet -- wait until after graduation to get married!! Homeboy is clearly too young to get married, given his inability to compromise and consider her needs. Homegirl needs some more time as Orthodox to see if this is really the right life for her. Oy.

• Love 6

Oh dear god the southern harpies have me rolling, for real. "I forgive you for wearing blue!" "she sat in my chair!" "I'll get my revenge" revenge? Bitch please. Who are these people? Who acts like this? Revenge? Honey, switch to decaf. 

And the wedding was held in the lobby of an office building, I guess? I know it was an old bank or something, but talk about cold and unwelcoming. I kept expecting passers-by to walk through and ring for the elevator to get to their dentist's office. 

Vicky, honey, RUN, don't walk away from this guy. He reminds me of Abigail Adams' famous statement: "All men would be tyrants if they could". Nerdy, unattractive, personality free Ben is going to be a tyrant. He's going to use Vicky's insecurity and eagerness to embrace Orthodox customs and culture as a club to beat her with the whole time they are married, which I am giving 5 years at the outside before Vicky tears off her wig and joins a vegan potter's commune in Vermont. 

• Love 9

Does that top or dress or whatever it is that Taylor wears in the THs annoy anyone else? She wears the most unflattering things for her body type. The purple one was better but that white one is horrible. Melba is horrible and needs to get a clue. Who needs to listen to her sorry ass? I am so over between this season and last season "in the south". Sorry but that lady and the other one need to get a clue on it all and realize they are the disrespectful ones. OMG the dad and his you can't buy true class comment. WTF??? They have no class. IF they did they wouldn't behave as they do. I am sure they wouldn't let their oh so wonderful son really live in this gross trailer if they were really classy. I get the feeling that Melba tries to be something she isn't and its how she landed the husband she has. Seriously he can't say he can't afford something else to live in. He is a teacher and coach. He has a job. He couldn't get a mobile home at the very least? I don't buy it or that his mommy dearest would be happy with him living in that if she is so stuck up as she acts. If he thinks that he shouldn't have moved a wife into this then he should have gotten something else. She should have discussed it before getting married knowing that is what he was living in. Doesn't seem very healthy living in that with the toilet as it is and no working sink....then the space heater thing..yikes!

Mankeea, with this divorce crap and how it was a love marriage and this is traditional arranged wedding that her parents picked him out. UM you already said they did NOT pick him out and he came up to you and asked you to marry him and you work with him. They even stated its not the traditional in a newspaper article. UGH!!! Her ex cheated on her so what? You want to beat this one will too? He comes off like such a sleazeball. I can tell I will really have to hit that fast forward button a bunch with these 2. Her talking about her friends being more traditional...how about more snobbish. Anything with this one is a joke since she was an actress and obviously has dreams of still being on. There is no way she is some quiet little mouse like girl. You can't be that way if you are in real estate selling to rich people. Such a joke

Ben and this sex talk. Yes we know you are desperate to get laid dude. We don't need to hear it over again how you can't be alone or touch. It just reminds me of a creepy family. What did this girl see in him? The dude has a car that breaks down all the time from how it sounds so why would they even spend so much on a wedding. This guy is a jerk with how he is to her too. He wants it all his way and no other way. Why does she have to pick up and move? Sorry but the city will have a ton of Jews around too as he puts it. Does he seriously think there isn't community of them anywhere but his suburbs? IDIOT!!!! He didn't expect a serious talk about where they would live because he probably assumed it would be where he wanted. He really sounds like a spoiled rotten brat. Which I am taking it his parents have spoiled him and treated him like a prince growing up. I don't see the big deal in finding something in the middle. And worrying about kosher....are you kidding me? She needs to run or her life is going to be catering to his wants and needs and nothing more. He even has a weird creepy pout he gets when he talks about this stuff and how it will have to be his way. I'm feeling sort of sad for Vicki at this point. She is going to have to give up everything for this man child. She will never be able to be happy with him if this is how it will always be. I wonder if we will see her family at all or if they just don't want to be on tv so this is why we are not seeing them. Which I don't blame them if that is the case. I wonder how long it will last that he is ok with moving to the Harlem apt? I wouldn't be surprised if he pulled out of that whole thing before even moving in. 

Rabbi that Ben was talking to was drunk looking. And editing on this was so bad. One scene he has beer that is half full and another it was empty then back to half full then a bit less. He is coming off a joke to me as well in his mannerisms.  

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

I wonder if we will see her family at all or if they just don't want to be on tv so this is why we are not seeing them.

Her mom was on the first episode. I can't remember what she said, but she didn't seem happy with her daughter's choice. Also, all the focus on Ben and Vicki seems to be explaining how Orthodox Judaism works; since Vicki has said her parents are more secular, it stands to reason that the show hasn't quite found a use for them yet. All of Ben's parents' interviews have been about the customs of the faith.

I am so confused about this trailer. Dude is a teacher! He has a stable job! I know teachers don't make much, but ... really?

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, Evil Queen said:

Rabbi that Ben was talking to was drunk looking. And editing on this was so bad. One scene he has beer that is half full and another it was empty then back to half full then a bit less. He is coming off a joke to me as well in his mannerisms.  

I think it was tea? I thought I saw a string and tag hanging out of it.

• Love 1

Do we really need a scientific study to tell us that, "more couples have sex when they are alone, than in public?"  Vicky doesn't seem nearly ready to be married.  I wonder why she accepted his proposal.   I know rent in Manhattan is expensive, but $2,500 for that dump?  Yikes!

I was shocked to see David and Taylor's living arrangement, because based on Melba's snooty behavior, I thought he was to the manor born. If I were Taylor, I would have been out of there. 

Maneka seems to have serious trust issues.  If as she said a divorcee is considered "used", then I wonder what they consider a two striker.     

• Love 2
8 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Her mom was on the first episode. I can't remember what she said, but she didn't seem happy with her daughter's choice. Also, all the focus on Ben and Vicki seems to be explaining how Orthodox Judaism works; since Vicki has said her parents are more secular, it stands to reason that the show hasn't quite found a use for them yet. All of Ben's parents' interviews have been about the customs of the faith.

I am so confused about this trailer. Dude is a teacher! He has a stable job! I know teachers don't make much, but ... really?

Confused at well. He has a job that should pay him enough to have at the very least a 1 bedroom apartment or even a mobile home. My husband works on schools and doesn't get nearly what teachers do for their jobs and we make it work. Doesn't she work or anything? I must have missed it but that whole thing should have been taken care of before getting married. 

And ok, I must have missed it with her mom in it. I can understand her not being happy with it. Look at how it is going so far and they aren't even to the wedding part yet. 

8 hours ago, Tara Ariano said:

I think it was tea? I thought I saw a string and tag hanging out of it.

Didn't notice one and it was an odd thing to have tea in if it was. It was like a beer mug. LOL I swear he looked drunk in at least one scene and the way editing was it was all over with the amount in the mug and how he looked. 

2 hours ago, Adeejay said:

Do we really need a scientific study to tell us that, "more couples have sex when they are alone, than in public?"  Vicky doesn't seem nearly ready to be married.  I wonder why she accepted his proposal.   I know rent in Manhattan is expensive, but $2,500 for that dump?  Yikes!

I was shocked to see David and Taylor's living arrangement, because based on Melba's snooty behavior, I thought he was to the manor born. If I were Taylor, I would have been out of there. 

Maneka seems to have serious trust issues.  If as she said a divorcee is considered "used", then I wonder what they consider a two striker.     

Yeah that is insane for that place. How are they paying for this as well? If they go to school and nothing else who pays for the place? I would think it would be better to do the normal thing and look around to find one more budget friendly but guess not for them...or maybe the show could only find this place to let them film. LOL We are in a pricey place and don't even pay that on our 2 bedroom townhouse rental not far from the beach. Agree she doesn't seem ready to be married but he is even worse on not being ready IMO. 

Yes you would think that with mommy dearest's act that he would have a decent place to live in at the very least but looks like the money is coming from step daddy and I will guess they don't have much of a relationship between them. As well as how it sounded that mommy dearest has to put on the snob act for her husband. Otherwise I bet she was no better then Taylor's family before that. 

Did they say how long ago Maneka was divorced? I just know I can't sit through another round of her "failed love marriage" issues. She is 31 (?) and needs to grow up and move on. I can't see this one lasting for her either. She will be stuck back living with her parents and a curfew (really???) hoping for another whatever kind of marriage. *eyeroll*

I think at this point I am just watching to see if there is a huge clash caught on camera between Taylor and Melba (which every time I see that name I think of melba toast. LOL) and waiting to see Vicki wake up and realize she needs to not do this. 

In my opinion, Maneka and Mayur are by far the most interesting couple on this show. 

Maneka is very very different from Ragini. Ragini was a fast-talking, super confident woman who was not shy, liked to be in control, and didn't have much of a domestic, maternal side to her. Maneka is sweet, soft-spoken, maybe on the meek side, a "good girl", very into keeping it traditional. That said, Maneka and Mayur could not be any more different than they are. The only thing they have in common is that they are Indian and maybe their jobs. He is completely American on the inside - just look at his friends vs her friends. I honestly don't think that thye are a good match for each other. She is a real catch - pretty, sweet, career, etc. But she seems soooo different from him in every way, I feel that he probably wouldnt have bothered marrying an Indian girl at all if she hadnt crossed his path. But I could be wrong. 

I am Jewish and I understand what is going on with this couple. Ben seems like a hard core Baal Teshuva - basically someone who was raised secular but became Orthodox. Much more so than Vicki. He studies in a yeshiva in Far Rockaway, which is where a lot of Baal Teshuvas go to study in a yeshiva and become hardcore religious. Ben reminds me of a song called "flipping out", which describes how when a young man who was raised secular goes to a yeshiva in Israel for a year and comes back a hardcore Orthodox Jew. It may or may not last forever, who knows. He also seems to have adopted the mannerisms and speech of NY Orthodox Jews. I wonder what are their plans for making money ? They seemed unfazed by the $2500 rent. Vicki seems to have joined a community more on the Modern side, where young men and women pursue careers alongside keeping Orthodox Judaism. Orthodox Judaism in Bens circles is not ala carte - Orhodox women must cover their hair, and there are no opposite sex dances. Im thinking that Bens level of Orthodoxy is too much for her and she should have gone for someone more on the Modern side. She cannot really have both in this case, I mean for someone ho has become religious she seems a little burned out already!!!  I dont really care for his attitude towards her as it is portrayed though. 

The Southern couple, ehhh boring to me. She does talk a little bit like a diva though. But that trailer was nasty! I hope they at least put a curtain in front of the toilet.

• Love 2

Vicki!  Red flags!  Red flags!  If he won't compromise now, what will he be like as a husband?  I agree with kat12379.   I know a lot of people who similarly "went crazy." I actually went to an Orthodox Jewish camp in Far Rockaway.  It is not a fun, happenin' place.  I wonder if Vicki did a program like Birthright Israel or Aish Ha' Torah?  Many of my secular friends did this program and came back wearing long skirts and ditching their nonJewish boyfriends.  Eventually, they went back to their secular ways.  I see Vicki as one of these girls.  She is excited now, but once in the life, and especially with such an uncompromising partner, I don't see this lasting.

• Love 4

Yes you would think that with mommy dearest's act that he would have a decent place to live in at the very least but looks like the money is coming from step daddy and I will guess they don't have much of a relationship between them. As well as how it sounded that mommy dearest has to put on the snob act for her husband. Otherwise I bet she was no better then Taylor's family before that. 

Hahaha, whenever I see Melba, I think of that old Bobbie Gentry song--"here's your one chance Fancy, don't let me down!" She married up, is insecure, and presents herself as a southern belle, Junior League type, when actually she's probably only a few feet from the trailer park.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, kat12379 said:

I am Jewish and I understand what is going on with this couple. Ben seems like a hard core Baal Teshuva - basically someone who was raised secular but became Orthodox. Much more so than Vicki. He studies in a yeshiva in Far Rockaway, which is where a lot of Baal Teshuvas go to study in a yeshiva and become hardcore religious. Ben reminds me of a song called "flipping out", which describes how when a young man who was raised secular goes to a yeshiva in Israel for a year and comes back a hardcore Orthodox Jew. It may or may not last forever, who knows. He also seems to have adopted the mannerisms and speech of NY Orthodox Jews. I wonder what are their plans for making money ? They seemed unfazed by the $2500 rent. Vicki seems to have joined a community more on the Modern side, where young men and women pursue careers alongside keeping Orthodox Judaism. Orthodox Judaism in Bens circles is not ala carte - Orhodox women must cover their hair, and there are no opposite sex dances. Im thinking that Bens level of Orthodoxy is too much for her and she should have gone for someone more on the Modern side. She cannot really have both in this case, I mean for someone ho has become religious she seems a little burned out already!!!  I dont really care for his attitude towards her as it is portrayed though. 

Thanks for the explanation.    Those of us who live in flyover country don't know much about Orthodox Jews.  Ben seems much more into the rules than Vicki.  In fact, because she mentioned she had known Ben in middle school and has run into him again in NYC, I wondered if part of her conversion has to do with having a crush on him.  She said they had been matched by friends. (Haven't many of us been "matched" by friends? Or does "matched" here mean firmly promised in marriage?) She really does not seem very religious.  I found myself liking both of these kids rather more than everyone else seems to.  They just seem young and inexperienced to me.  Oh, and here in fly-over country,  kids often lose their virginity in their cars, so the fact Ben and Vicki are allowed to be alone in his car seems like a hoot to me.

The Texas couple...must have been chosen for their bizarre behavior.  Both mothers seem terrible to me.  And the camper?  Wouldn't you clean it before moving your bride in?   

And the little boy who was sitting on Maneka's lap...maybe in the first episode...her little boy, maybe?  Or was it her brother's boy?  Seems odd for him to be sitting in her lap if she is just aunty.  And, how are they arranged, again?  Maybe they were just chosed because they are from a culture that commonly does arrange marriages.  I can't imagine any of these marriages is actually going to work out, whereas I suspect all of the first season's couples will last for quite awhile, anyway.

• Love 4
(edited)

Lazylou you are so right about the car. Why are they alone and so close to each other in it if they are not suppose to be alone where they can get in trouble? LOL I have known only a few Jewish people in my life and none of them were Orthodox. I grew up with parents claiming to be Christians but the only person I every really know that was really religious was my Grandparents (dad's parents). My parents still try to act like they are and my sister does as well now. For me I am opposite it all. I just have to say that I am glad there are those watching and on this forum that know about Orthodox. It helps to see more of what is going on than what we have with the show IMO and give another opinion on it from that side of things. I honestly don't see Vicki being able to handle that lifestyle for life though. If she is really freaking out over wigs and with how he talks to her, there is just no chance. The cost of these wigs is just insane. Aside from how much that tiny apartment is and how they would pay for it...how the heck would they pay for those wigs as well? Oh and she asked her friends to fix her up with Ben. So she wasn't arranged just as the others aren't. 

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

Hahaha, whenever I see Melba, I think of that old Bobbie Gentry song--"here's your one chance Fancy, don't let me down!" She married up, is insecure, and presents herself as a southern belle, Junior League type, when actually she's probably only a few feet from the trailer park.

LMAO Thank you for that. So true I bet and so damn funny.

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 4

I assumed that when Ben wanted to live in one area it was because his particular brand of Orthodoxy was practiced there, that gives you the back up that you need in trying to live that particular way, I also remember the happiness he seemed to have over owning Vicki after marriage. That is not an attitude that is  encouraged by only one religion.  I had orthodox neighbors growing up and when my neighbor turned 13 he was no longer allowed to play with me or even talk to me,  when I was in my 20's, I remember being shocked at how quickly he got old, he certainly had a lot of children in a short time. We were the only non-Jewish family on the block but most neighbors were reformed. 

.But in the end when he gave in on the apartment, all I cold think was that he was trying to keep her from backing out of the marriage. 

as to living in trailers - I did live in one every summer for a while, it was all I could afford and be on a beach island across the street from the ocean. 8 by 20 feet. Most are set up neatly you have to put everything away immediately or you get overwhelmed, no dirty dishes ever! and as to hot water - if you have electricity and you have water - there is no reason tno to have hot water, it only cost under $100 to replace the hot water heater I had and I only put it on twice a day so it did not cost much. I was wondering if they were not in a trailer park but jsut living somewhere with a hose in the window.  Than that made me wonder about pumping out the sewage. I was wondering if he just dumped it on the ground - disgusting. I do believe my trailer was smaller, but sheesh, you have to keep them in shape and in a place with services. they were even eating out of plastic bowls rather than dishes - ugh. No way should she have moved in up til that trailer was cleaned up and outfitted properly. . 

• Love 2
(edited)
On May 18, 2016 at 3:22 PM, Adeejay said:

I think the "scientific study" comment was Ben's weak attempt at sarcasm. I actually grew up in a heavily Jewish community, and I almost converted to a more relaxed observance of the religion in my later years. Ben and Vicki definitely need to go their own ways separately and examine marriage (to other people) when they are older. What I cannot figure out is, if Vicki attends Columbia, which seems more likely to me than Fordham, given her preference for an apartment, why on earth is she even considering Ben as a husband? Having attended a similar school, I cannot recall anyone I met getting married in undergrad. It just seems odd that they would consider marriage given her background, and his secular upbringing. Although in my youth I did know someone who was raised in a less observant household who decided to honor Orthodoxy. He was similarly obnoxious, although more extreme in his religious views and ideas about peoples' intelligence. Oi vey.

Taylor and David are so trashy it hurts. I am betting that that stupid trailer was bought on for the show - there is NO WAY that she did not know that would be her storyline. She seemed entirely too blasé about the entire affair, and if she really is that focused on "appearing classy" (retch) and keeping up with the Melba-Joneses, than she definitely would not have stood for it under other circumstances. And my insane, Southern former bff was named Melba and similarly lived for dramatics and all things done according to Southern etiquette. So take that for what it is. 

Mayur does seem like a sleazeball - a little too slick for his own good. I don't trust him at all, and I think his attempt at casual, offhanded remarks (I will own you when we're married, I can do my own thing) and the way he nonchalantly declined her call when she said that she needed to talk to him smacks of complete and utter disrespect. He almost scares me - yes Manresa is intensely insecure and has no business getting married again, and yes she absolutely does need counseling before she even considers a serious relationship because she definitely has a type, but she still in no way deserves that. I don't trust him at all and I think he will even be worse when they get married. It almost makes me think he could become abusive. 

Edited by IvyDancer
Name misspelled due to autocorrect, adding more info
  • Love 5
22 hours ago, IvyDancer said:

I think the "scientific study" comment was Ben's weak attempt at sarcasm. I actually grew up in a heavily Jewish community, and I almost converted to a more relaxed observance of the religion in my later years. Ben and Vicki definitely need to go their own ways separately and examine marriage (to other people) when they are older. What I cannot figure out is, if Vicki attends Columbia, which seems more likely to me than Fordham, given her preference for an apartment, why on earth is she even considering Ben as a husband? Having attended a similar school, I cannot recall anyone I met getting married in undergrad.

I went to Columbia. Columbia and Barnard have a sizable Orthodox Jewish population - I always had classes with Orthodox students. I met a few Orthodox women there who were married (housing was an issue for them, as married couples couldn't live in the undergrad dorms) or who got engaged senior year and married right after graduation. I took a yearlong seminar senior year and one of the students in it was Orthodox, engaged and planned her wedding throughout the year; she got married the summer after graduation. How the marriages played out, I have no idea, but they did happen.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/21/2016 at 9:14 AM, IvyDancer said:

I think the "scientific study" comment was Ben's weak attempt at sarcasm. I actually grew up in a heavily Jewish community, and I almost converted to a more relaxed observance of the religion in my later years. Ben and Vicki definitely need to go their own ways separately and examine marriage (to other people) when they are older. What I cannot figure out is, if Vicki attends Columbia, which seems more likely to me than Fordham, given her preference for an apartment, why on earth is she even considering Ben as a husband? Having attended a similar school, I cannot recall anyone I met getting married in undergrad. It just seems odd that they would consider marriage given her background, and his secular upbringing. Although in my youth I did know someone who was raised in a less observant household who decided to honor Orthodoxy. He was similarly obnoxious, although more extreme in his religious views and ideas about peoples' intelligence. Oi vey.

Taylor and David are so trashy it hurts. I am betting that that stupid trailer was bought on for the show - there is NO WAY that she did not know that would be her storyline. She seemed entirely too blasé about the entire affair, and if she really is that focused on "appearing classy" (retch) and keeping up with the Melba-Joneses, than she definitely would not have stood for it under other circumstances. And my insane, Southern former bff was named Melba and similarly lived for dramatics and all things done according to Southern etiquette. So take that for what it is. 

Mayur does seem like a sleazeball - a little too slick for his own good. I don't trust him at all, and I think his attempt at casual, offhanded remarks (I will own you when we're married, I can do my own thing) and the way he nonchalantly declined her call when she said that she needed to talk to him smacks of complete and utter disrespect. He almost scares me - yes Manresa is intensely insecure and has no business getting married again, and yes she absolutely does need counseling before she even considers a serious relationship because she definitely has a type, but she still in no way deserves that. I don't trust him at all and I think he will even be worse when they get married. It almost makes me think he could become abusive. 

The more and more I am seeing you all post about those that have known Orthodox Jews the more sad I feell for Vicki. I have to wonder if she really truly knew what she would be getting into with this religion and marriage. I just can't see her lasting long in that sort of a marriage where she gives up so much of herself for him and the religion. She seems like the type that it will chip at who she is over time and become a shell of her former self as the years go on. 

As for Taylor, she knew he lived there according to what he said in one scene. So it would be why she wan't so over the time about it all. I just think that if he does live in that and she knew, as was said, that she would have told him and made him get an apartment or something else before they got married. But agree they are a trashy, not classy, bunch. 

I was curious if there was reviews on the real estate place the 2 work at...If you were to find the name and look it up all the review are from those 2 and a few others that work there on how great it is to work there. They even gave each other reviews. Her's was done recently btw (April). She says a friend convinced her to join and get her broker's license 6 yrs ago. Yet when you look at their profile on the Arranged site she says she felt pressured to get married and start a family by her parents at age 31 and so that is what made her change careers so she could find a husband. I said it from the get go he has slimeball written on him all over. Yet I don't believe for one second she is exactly what we are seeing on tv either. She sells real estate in an area that if someone was acting in that manner she would be walked on and not doing well in that business. You can't run around being quiet/shy when selling million dollar homes. I think this is where the "actress" part comes in for her. I do think that she has come off so desperate to find any man as long as he was Indian that she just agree to marry the first one that asked her. At least its coming off this way. Agree that he seemed full of disrespect and have to wonder what his real reason($) are for marrying her. I think he would gladly play up that "I will own you" part more then most would ever do so while he is also got a side piece or 2. Can't see this one lasting either.

Edited by Evil Queen
  • Love 2

How on earth do two 20-21 year olds worry about the cost of a $1000 wig but not bat an eye at $2500/mo. rent???? Vicki has some sort of degree, but what does Ben do for work? I assume he is a student, too. 

• Love 2
25 minutes ago, PityFree said:

How on earth do two 20-21 year olds worry about the cost of a $1000 wig but not bat an eye at $2500/mo. rent???? Vicki has some sort of degree, but what does Ben do for work? I assume he is a student, too. 

Based on what they've said, it sounds like they're both still in school.

• Love 1

I'm having a hard time believing too that they live in the camper. With all of Melba's concern for appearances, not to mention showcasing this on television, you'd think she'd have helped them get started. I really think this is the producer's idea.  I bet they really have somewhere else they actually live. Texas is a more affordable place to live that even teachers can afford a reasonable standard of life.  I, too, wonder if she works. Between the two of them they could afford a nice, little house. He seems kind of dense to me. She is trashy.  Her wedding dress was all sorts of awful. She definitely does not know how to dress her figure. 

Maneka looks older than 33 to me.  All her talk about having rushed into her first marriage being a mistake should have taught her something,. I laughed when Mazur said he was in the top 2-3% of income?  I thought that was more for billionaires but I don't really know.  I also wonder if that's her little boy and how long ago was she divorced.  

None of these marriages are arranged in the traditional sense.  I'd love to see a show that focuses on couples who are adopting a new faith by marrying.  I find the Vicki and Ben couple the most interesting.  I hope they sign the lease before they get married or she'll be living in the suburbs. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/27/2016 at 5:45 PM, Kiss my mutt said:

Maneka looks older than 33 to me.  All her talk about having rushed into her first marriage being a mistake should have taught her something,. I laughed when Mazur said he was in the top 2-3% of income?  I thought that was more for billionaires but I don't really know.  I also wonder if that's her little boy and how long ago was she divorced.  

Mazur's statement about his money puzzled me, too, but then I assumed he means top 2-3% of wage income rather than top 2-3% of total household wealth (where billionaires would be). I went here to see the percentiles for US incomes: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2012/01/15/business/one-percent-map.html According to that, the range needed to be in the top 3% is $240,000-290,000 and for 2% is roughly between $290,000- 380,000. I realize that I am really overthinking this, but Mazur is just smug enough that I had to check. Mazur seems like the type to embellish and I doubt he knows exactly where his pay falls vs other Americans. Of course, it doesn't matter how much you earn of much of it is gambled away. 

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 2