Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Twenty Years Ago Today

• Start Topic

just makes this wiggy affair even more of a bummer

Cindy still looks great, though.

because you'd think she learned this stalking technique from studying zoology.

Given what later learn about her, you'd think the campus gym would be the last place she would stalk/flirt with guys.

Why is it so important to get the Walshes' anniversary gift NOW that Brandon feels free to break into Dylan's house?

And coincidentally, the one time when Dylan decides to cover up the glass panes on his doors.

.to "SMILE AND NOD AND GRIT YOUR TEETH" in forty seconds or less

Have to give it to Cindy here. Her smile still says "Are you fucking crazy?!"

Re: Brandon getting out of cars. The first episode I ever saw of this show was some random late season episode, and the one stand-out moment for me was Brandon in the living room area of a hotel suite, surrounded by empty chairs and couches, yet he chooses to awkwardly sit on the edge of a glass coffee table. Maybe it's some kind of disorder?

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

On the Brady Bunch whenever Mr. Brady would pull into the driveway he'd exit the car through the passenger door and even as an eight year old I realized how stupid that was.  Maybe Brandon wanted to be Robert Reid?

• Love 1

I loved jumping out of convertibles. It was kind of fun until I did land on my face but still fun. If that makes me an asshole then I'll take it along with the many times I've been called an asshole.

Also isn't Dylan's gun a Walther PPK, the James Bond gun? I remember a doco on the making of Dr. No and how powerful the gun actually was when they were showing how the Walther PPK was like. So ladies' gun? Gotta disagree Tara and Sarah (if it is actually a Walther PPK)

This was the first episode of the show I ever watched and I remember thinking Celeste was in the main cast. I was sad when I found out she wasn't. Also dunno but I kind of like moody David. I swear there is a disdain from Brian somewhere. Maybe a lack of storylines? Being paired up with Tori Spelling where his character has to beg for sex? How awful this gig is? I dunno. 

The music is bad. Dylan shut up about the scene. You're a scene Old Man McKay and take Nanna with you. You and that stupid scene. 

• Like 1

Wow, Carol Potter and James Eckhouse were foxy before the 90s Parental Hair got hold of them. Not bad even after, but the 90s were not good for hair. For additional evidence, see everyone in this entire episode.

• Love 3

Brandon, the only reason you should ever break into someone's home is if there is an emergency situation, or the home owner has otherwise told you that it was okay.  Needing to retrieve your parents' anniversary gift is not an emergency, and in no way justifies breaking into someone's home.  More to the point, was Brandon just planning on leaving Dylan's house open to actual thieves had no one been there after he took the gift?  

• Applause 1
  • Love 5
20 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Brandon, the only reason you should ever break into someone's home is if there is an emergency situation, or the home owner has otherwise told you that it was okay.  Needing to retrieve your parents' anniversary gift is not an emergency, and in no way justifies breaking into someone's home.  More to the point, was Brandon just planning on leaving Dylan's house open to actual thieves had no one been there after he took the gift?  

Yes!! I wondered if Brandon was planning to repair the damage he caused.  He never even apologizes for breaking in- just starts yelling at Dylan.  I'm in Texas now, where this kind of thing would get you killed.  Back in my CA days I think the onus was still on the homeowner- as I remember folks being sued by the robbers who got hurt while breaking in.

I wanted to chime in on Jackie and David.  In the other episodes he really goes all in on saying what a crackpot she is. Wasn't she the one who let David live with her while Mel was in his bachelor-yatch.  It seems so shady that David wouldn't defend her.  Mel's being a jerk... leaving Erin so he could go to Cabo.  Most likely he only gets her every other weekend.  What a creep.  And, I have two kids who were both terribly late talkers and would mumble incoherently like Erin did at around 18-24 months.  At least they kept her to a plot device only vs. having her become active in the cast. 

• Love 1

The Emily Valentine reference, while asinine, was decent foreshadowing since Brandon runs into Emily over Thanksgiving soon.

I don't think Dylan ever got rid of the gun because he keeps having crazy gun meltdowns early next season when he's still getting high and later with Toni's dad.  I think he finally does throw it off of the pier after he and Toni get engaged, IIRC.

• Like 1

Eh - 18-month-olds - which I think is what Erin is, even though Season 3 was soooooooo loooooong it feels like she should be fifteen already - don't usually talk in sentences of more than two or three words, and usually you don't understand most of those words. The kid looks way older though, so that doesn't help. The real reason they shouldn't let her talk on camera is that baby babble is hideous unless its your own kid (and look, even then). 

Steely Dan is a forerunner to that Rolling Stones concert they all go to for Kelly's 21st(?) birthday. In blazers. Like all the kids were doing then. 

• Love 1

My brother was going to ask his (now ex) wife to marry him at my wedding reception. Luckily my best friend made sure he was quickly disabused of that notion. It's such an assy thing to do.

• Love 1

@Earmuffs Mom- I thought the gun made another appearance when he came back in season 8 or something and he got a gun from his house to pay a visit to Marchette.  Maybe it's a magic gun that walks in from the ocean, towels itself off, and then goes back to Dylan's house to wait 4 seasons or so.

I don't understand the whole Stuart/Brinda thing.  It seems like it was a romance to keep the character off screen whilst the rest of the gang dealt with con artists/love triangles/teenage pregnancy/fraternity drama onscreen.

The replacement music- I just can't.

I am not proud I know this but Dylan never gets rid of the gun. Val will find it when Dylan goes off the rails (actually, onto the rails, heh heh) next season.

Also, no mention of the one pop-dance song that has played in almost every episode this season, and maybe even in the last one. I think the lines are "I knew from the very start/I could be the one to break your heart." Huh? Anyway, they play it a lot, I hate it, it was totally free.

And hulu is missing PPAD episodes, probably bc of music rights and I hate that, too.

• Love 1

That's crazy. The Afterdark era is very important, so much plot points occurred there and dramatic scenes and of course the myriad changes in ownership. I wonder if The OC and OTH have the same problems on HULU or syndication since they had live music of famous bands at their equally cool clubs. 

Thanks God for DVDs. 

This is a weird nit to pick but the music playing at the Walsh's party a) doesn't sound like anything they (the adults) would play at a party and b) doesn't sound period AT ALL. It sounds like what you'd sub in when you can't get the rights to Britney Spears, which was still years away. 

13 hours ago, WoodyCee said:

Dylan is your Facebook friend that writes vague status updates and then when asked about details says "oh I don't want to get into it" THEN DONT BRING IT UP!

Oh my fucking god, how has no one created the social media pages for these twats yet? Talk about untapped comedic potential. Dylan's facebook would be even more intolerable than regular facebook. Steve's twitter! Brandon's Linkedin! WHERE ARE YOU, INTERNET???????

• Love 11
(edited)
14 hours ago, WoodyCee said:

Dylan is your Facebook friend that writes vague status updates and then when asked about details says "oh I don't want to get into it" THEN DONT BRING IT UP!

Because you don't understand his PAIN!

Heheh, seriously though, you're right.  It's a "ME ME ME!" thing with Dylan.

I used to check out a website that did "What if Game of Thrones took place on Facebook."  I'd love to see one spoofing 90210.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, MostlyC said:

I thought the gun made another appearance when he came back in season 8 or something and he got a gun from his house to pay a visit to Marchette.  Maybe it's a magic gun that walks in from the ocean, towels itself off, and then goes back to Dylan's house to wait 4 seasons or so.

I think you're right!  Doesn't Dylan give Kelly a gun after she's raped too?

I can't get enough of the screenshots you guys make of Brandon braying. So, so funny. And I say that as someone who actually likes Brandon more than most people. 

Brandon breaking into the house was such ridiculous writing. They could've accomplished the same idea by writing that Brandon had an extra key (that maybe Dylan forgot he had) and Dylan freaks out when he heard the knob being messed with. I know it's not as dramatic as glass breaking, but who would do that just to pick up a gift? Stupid. 

I don't mind the actress playing Lucinda but she and Brandon together are gross for some reason. 

• Love 1

I was relistening to this on my commute (it seriously is the only thing that makes Austin traffic bearable). While I am very anti-gun, I feel like the show is manipulating me into taking Brandon's side in this.  He totally BROKE INTO his friend's house to get the stupid gift and then has the nerve to act so huffy.  It's supposed to make us sympathize with Brandon and make it easy to see Dylan as some nut-case.  I thought in the last episode Brandon was a pro-gun guy who was used to folks hunting. 

And on another random note, if Dylan is 18 and Stuart is 24, WHEN did the "Scene" of them knowing each other take place?  Is Dylan going out to clubs at age 13? Did Jake from Melrose Place take him?

• Love 1
18 hours ago, MissEwa said:

Steely Dan is a forerunner to that Rolling Stones concert they all go to for Kelly's 21st(?) birthday. In blazers. Like all the kids were doing then. 

Sad that I remember this... but for Kelly's 21st birthday (which somehow switches from being in the spring when she had the diet pill fall out) to now being in the fall, doesn't she go to some stupid Kenny G concert, siting in between Dylan and Brandon while Colin makes that stupid artwork?  I remember wondering why they weren't getting shitface drunk like EVERYONE I knew who turned 21 did. 
As for the blazers, next year is when we see Dylan is 2 piece suits (vest and slacks) on campus and Kelly is also in something similar, right?  Man, I went to a CU (well, UC) and my college uniform was a Hanes Beefy T and jeans or babydoll dress with a unflattering flannel shirt (how did I ever get as much action as I did is beyond me). 

• Love 1

I think Kelly's birthday party was a Dave Koz concert. And yes, she made Brandon and Dylan sit on either side of her and they did, since they had no self respect. Colin was not at the party because he was at home painting the ugliest piece of artwork of all time. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

And on another random note, if Dylan is 18 and Stuart is 24, WHEN did the "Scene" of them knowing each other take place?  Is Dylan going out to clubs at age 13? Did Jake from Melrose Place take him?

Apparently Dylan is Drew Barrymore.

• Love 5

The Emily Valentine reference, while asinine, was decent foreshadowing since Brandon runs into Emily over Thanksgiving soon.

I don't think Dylan ever got rid of the gun because he keeps having crazy gun meltdowns early next season when he's still getting high and later with Toni's dad.  I think he finally does throw it off of the pier after he and Toni get engaged, IIRC.

Yep, that sounds right. He definitely has it in front of Valerie once because I remember her freaking out about it because that's how her dad died. I guess it is supposed to be the same gun, unless he went out and got another one.

• Love 1
  2 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Apparently Dylan is Drew Barrymore.

Yeah, don't forget he also had a history with the illegal car racer in one of the early episodes. He packed a lot of delinquency into his preteen years!

• Love 1
6 hours ago, desertflower said:

I think Kelly's birthday party was a Dave Koz concert. And yes, she made Brandon and Dylan sit on either side of her and they did, since they had no self respect. Colin was not at the party because he was at home painting the ugliest piece of artwork of all time. 

I can't WAIT for the Colin era!!! 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, CurlyATX said:

Sad that I remember this... but for Kelly's 21st birthday (which somehow switches from being in the spring when she had the diet pill fall out) to now being in the fall, doesn't she go to some stupid Kenny G concert, siting in between Dylan and Brandon while Colin makes that stupid artwork?  I remember wondering why they weren't getting shitface drunk like EVERYONE I knew who turned 21 did. 

Ah, of course. According to IMDB There was a Rolling Stones concert but it was just a random event and nobody's birthday. 

I can't get enough of the screenshots you guys make of Brandon braying.

Me neither! (Hi all - longtime lurker first time posting here... I LOVE this podcast so much; as a sometimes homesick Expat living in Germany, this podcast gives me life THANK YOU Sarah, Tara and DAVID!!!)

But back on topic... How funny would it have been if Dylan had blown off Brandon's hand. 'Cuz honestly, if I saw someone actively trying to break into my home and I was all-gun-crazy like Dylan was, why wait for them to get in the door? ...only Brandon can SMASH someone's effing window, for no reason, scare someone to death (because - who smashes a gotdahm window????) and come in braying. What an asshole.

Speaking of assholes ... I always hated Dylan "I know so and so from the SCENE" McKay. So when you were like 12 and Stuart was 18? Wasn't that around the age you were knocking up girls in Paris and/or hanging out with Frank "you CRUD" Padilla? Gimme a break. And the speech about "don't hurt Brenda or..." Oh, have all the seats mister Summer of Deception. You're the only one who can hurt her? Dick. UGH!!!

• Love 10
35 minutes ago, Chicken Diablo said:

When she rolls up that check from her dad Sean Connery to snort coke? So good!

It's literally one of my favorite things of all time... we should submit it to the King of Disparate TV Things Mountain! 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, Klaw said:

And the speech about "don't hurt Brenda or..." Oh, have all the seats mister Summer of Deception. You're the only one who can hurt her? Dick. UGH!!!

I was hoping Stuart would bring that up, since obviously Brenda would have unloaded it all.  And it would have also shown that he and Brenda were already super intimate (with secrets).  One of my favorite random bits was when Kelly was laying into Valerie about being a skank (when they are on a road trip and end up at a convent) and Val finally throws back the Summer of Deception into Kelly's face.  It was a rare bit of continuity that Brenda would have shared those hard details with her close friend from childhood (since she seemed to be reaching back to her roots, ie Darla).

Thanks for the Dave Koz correction-- was he the band guy on Arsenio? I am NOW 42, and still cannot even remotely listen to jazz even as "on hold" muzak, let alone pay for it. I was excited that Liz Phair came to my town. 

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 1:25 PM, AndySmith said:

He isn't called Dylan Barrymore for nothing.

I miss this!  Along with the various things that indicate drug addiction (the Beret, eyeliner, etc). 

On a side note- Dylan must have been super scrawn as a kid... how was he able to sneak in and drink, impregnate French women, go to drag races, etc?  And how did he still have time to watch classic movies in black and white? I guess this is a good lesson on how much a kid can get done without video games... most weekends my scrawn 11 yr old is playing mindcraft.

• Love 2

When she rolls up that check from her dad Sean Connery to snort coke? So good!

I love this, and I love you for name dropping him, but I think you mean Sean Donnelly. I don't know much about coke sniffing, but do people do it with rolled-up checks? Is that a thing? Because I thought you are supposed to snort coke with a cash bill, because the paper money is made out of is stronger then regular paper. At least, that is how it works when you roll joints of marijuana.

I would guess it's because most people carry money, not mini straws. 

It was kinda weird no one smoked weed except Val and of course tightass Kelly had to condemn her and snitch to the gang for having a dime bag or bowl. And Steve's buddy (played by the romantic lead from Teen Witch) who smoked weed with him - which automatically caused him to OD on heroin and die instantly LOL. 

No one on 90210 had pets either which was very strange. I mean I wouldn't trust any of them to care for a dog or raise a gerbil but still. 

• Love 1