Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E01: Week 1

• Start Topic

(edited)
On 5/24/2016 at 8:38 PM, GracieK said:

JoJo annoyed me with how many times she would say "you look nice.. you look so good.. are you nervous.. you look so good".  I get that it's got to be overwhelming greeting all these guys but maybe have a little bit more prepared to say than that. 

Also, why did she say "I'm JoJo" to a lot of the guys?  Ummm they know who you are.

As soon as I heard about Aaron Rodgers' brother being on the show, I called him as the "winner", and I will be shocked if it doesn't go that way.  But honestly I starting losing interest 15 minutes in, I don't think I'm sticking around for the season.

Edited by ByTor
On May 24, 2016 at 8:28 PM, hnygrl said:

Two things: I live in Hawaii, and about 40 minutes in the sound went weird. We heard all the bachelor nation MUSIC but  couldn't hear their VOICES. Had to watch with sub-titles on. Voices didn't come back til the rose ceremony and even then it was in and out. I now have reason to hate the background music.

Is it just me, or did that Jordan/Jojo kiss look a wee bit too intimate? My first thought? Remember, I'm watching with music only - "THESE TWO HAVE DONE THIS BEFORE!!!" That was no hesitant first kiss. That was a kiss between two people who've done that before. NO WAY they "just met" out of the Limo.  No freaking way. Haven't looked at any spoilers (yet. I never last longer than episode 3 or 4 before I give in) but you cannot tell me that Jordan and Jojo JUST MET in that driveway, That kiss was way too initmate and familiar for that. She just...what? HAPPENED to "accidentally" grab his ass with both hands? Uh. Okay.

Just sayin'

I also thought the way he was running his fingers up & down her back was odd for someone he "just met". 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ByTor said:

But honestly I starting losing interest 15 minutes in, I don't think I'm sticking around for the season.

Edited 8 hours ago by ByTor.

I've been watching Fox's competitor show, "Coupled," on Tuesdays. They have the craziness I miss when it's all men, they even have a sobbing, hysterical case named "Ashley."

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ByTor said:

I also thought the way he was running his fingers up & down her back was odd for someone he "just met". 

That stuck out to me as well. JoJo was holding and stroking his other hand though, so maybe they're just two very touchy people. I did notice that she seemed to touch all of the men more than I would expect -- even while admitting that she doesn't like most of them. So maybe it's just who she is? And she okay with the guys doing that, too? I was actually fairly surprised when she (awkwardly) kissed that one guy with the fortune. She obviously felt uncomfortable (as anyone would, put in the position), so I was sure that she would give him her cheek to kiss, or something similar, to kind of sidestep the situation, but color me shocked when she actually kissed him on the lips, even if it was briefly.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Ew, that's her ex? He looks just like Butthead! High hair and all.

Derek reminds me of Jim from The Office. Now I want him to win even though I know it's not going to happen.

Ditto to those who pointed out that Christian's workout schedule doesn't make sense. Up at 3:30? Not at the gym until 4:30? Who watches his underage brothers while he's at the gym in the middle of the night?

Thanks to whoever wrote the recap. I learned so much. I had no idea that, "Daniel, back at it again!" was a thing. Also Ben's last name will forever be Enjerries.

• Love 1

Good lawd they're really pulling out all the stops with the douche bags this season.  I can't remember a time when I've hated nearly everyone on this show.  Enh, it's like an early audition for B.I.P.

I wish Jojo hadn't gotten rid of the Chinese/Scottish man with the kilt; he was a cutie pie. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, lavenderpenguin said:

That stuck out to me as well. JoJo was holding and stroking his other hand though, so maybe they're just two very touchy people. I did notice that she seemed to touch all of the men more than I would expect -- even while admitting that she doesn't like most of them. So maybe it's just who she is? And she okay with the guys doing that, too? I was actually fairly surprised when she (awkwardly) kissed that one guy with the fortune. She obviously felt uncomfortable (as anyone would, put in the position), so I was sure that she would give him her cheek to kiss, or something similar, to kind of sidestep the situation, but color me shocked when she actually kissed him on the lips, even if it was briefly.

I agree.  Too bad Jojo didn't have the self confidence to say "Yeah, we just met.  I'll decide when and who I want to kiss." 

And I agree that Jojo and Jordan seemed very comfortable with each other -  like they already knew each other, and this is all for the sake of putting on a show, telling a story. for a couple who is already a couple.  Not saying that happened, just that it didn't seem genuine, to meet someone for the first time and be THAT comfortable with the touching/kissing.

Christian lives in L.A., so maybe each morning he takes 1/2 an hour to get out the door and drives another 1/2 hour to the gym.  Possibly close to where he works.  I go to a gym 3 blocks from my office but 9 miles from my house.  It's not a crazy thing.  But I go after work, not in the morning.  I get up at 5 and work 6:30 to 3:30. Not everybody works 8-5.   And in his intro video, we get to see his brothers Micah & Justice and they are obviously well into their teen years, not toddlers that need babysitting.  I can't find a single reference to them being underage, he just says they live with him.    

• Love 8

I think JoJo and JorJor are both very self-confident,  somewhat entitled (not in a bad way) people who are always in the cool group, so not surprising imo they act with each other as if they've already met (and maybe they have) because they are kindred spirits. 

I like her, it should be a fun season. I love that she got the joke re mom drinking out of the wine bottle. And was nice to Santa. I think this group of men as a whole is somewhat disappointing in accomplishments and looks and not surprised some of them don't appeal to JoJo. None of them grabbed me as someone to root for. I bet she would have sent half of them home if she could have. She was taken at the limo by the Texas guys so she will probably not last with an F1 if he's not from the Lone Star State. 

At least the fauxhawk hairstyle is over. RIP.

If only Kaitlyn had said don't screw a guy in a room with microphones. But she is just as icky as ever and as recapper said, those insect-like arms! Emily (also a self-confident somewhat entitled Bachelorette) should have been giving her advice.

• Love 3
(edited)

Yeah - the three former B's giving her advice -  Des is married to the guy she got engaged to on the show-  but didn't the other two break up with their guys?  WHy are they giving her advice?

then again, I can barely remember who chose who and can't keep them all straight once the season is over.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

They gave the advice because they were leads, not because they had successful relationships.  The same reason Chris Soules teamed up with Mesnick and Sean to give Ben advice.  It's just about them having been in the primary role instead of a being a contestant.  

• Love 1
7 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I've been watching Fox's competitor show, "Coupled," on Tuesdays. They have the craziness I miss when it's all men, they even have a sobbing, hysterical case named "Ashley."

A forum just opened up for that show.   I missed the first episode, caught the second, then went online to catch up with #1.   It's an interesting take, because it does away with that mob mentality that ALL contestants must be after the same person.  It's more like Bachelor in Paradise. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ByTor said:

Also, why did she say "I'm JoJo" to a lot of the guys?  Ummm they know who you are.

Politeness? Reflex? Someone introduces themselves to you, you introduce yourself. I think, especially if you usually go by a nickname, it also gives the other person implied permission to use that nickname. I cut the leads a fair bit of slack for what they say during the initial parade. There are only so many things that can be covered in a sentence or two with someone you've only just laid eyes on.

Seriously rolling my eyes at all the guys complaining about the kilt. (a) It's only inappropriate if you would also consider a tux inappropriate, in that the wearer could be considered slightly overdressed for an event where most are wearing suits. (b) If it were me, a guy who showed up in full dress kilt would be wearing the first impression rose before he walked through the door. Dudes can take a seat. Kilts are hot. Too bad he's out. :(

Also, maybe it's not fair of me to just automatically discount every other man on the planet who happens to share a name with an ex, but I just can't see dating someone with the same name as someone I'd been in a relationship with. Much as Chad is a serious douche, the name thing is actually the reason I was most surprised she'd keep him around.

And Daniel... Oh dear. Objectively, he's not un-hot, but what a doofus. I feel somehow compelled to apologize on behalf of my country for this bozo, but that could just be my own Canadianness peeking out... In any case, I can assure anyone who might be worried that most of us do not in fact go around randomly poking other people in the belly button. His thickening accent as he got drunker, though, did amuse me.

Kilt aside, I think Luke is my favourite so far.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, leighdear said:

Christian lives in L.A., so maybe each morning he takes 1/2 an hour to get out the door and drives another 1/2 hour to the gym.  Possibly close to where he works.  I go to a gym 3 blocks from my office but 9 miles from my house.  It's not a crazy thing.  But I go after work, not in the morning.  I get up at 5 and work 6:30 to 3:30. Not everybody works 8-5.   And in his intro video, we get to see his brothers Micah & Justice and they are obviously well into their teen years, not toddlers that need babysitting.  I can't find a single reference to them being underage, he just says they live with him.    

Leighdear, your situation sounds normal though. You're not getting up at 3:30am. I think 5am is pretty normal. I completely understand that not everyone works a normal schedule (myself included) but he wasn't characterizing his situation as non-traditional, off the beaten path. He implied that he's special - just an overachiever, can't wait to get out there and get it done type of man. In addition, (cue soft music) he has a softer side in that he's raising his brothers cause his family is dysfunctional. Get out there and do it people don't take an hour to go to the gym. They just workout. They might even jog to the gym. And yeah I think the situation with his brothers isn't so much that he's raising them. We'll find out. It just came off as him overstating his lifestyle for the purpose of sounding cool on TV or it was producer manipulated. I vote both!

On another note, I didn't think Jojo was saying she found the first few men she spoke to one on one unappealing or boring. I thought she was saying that at the beginning of the night, everyone was nervous and the atmosphere was tense so it was harder for her to feel that connection with anyone. But as the evening wore on it was easier to have natural conversations with people and she felt more connected.

I will check out this Coupled show that everyone is talking about. Is it like Bachelors in Paradise?

I respect his gym choices! You couldn't prize me into a gym at any time, day or night. He's a motivated fellow with lots of energy. It would be hard to live with, if you didn't have the same schedule and were a light sleeper, but I don't really see it being a problem for JoJo as she's pretty well guaranteed to peel all the non-Jordan-exbfChad-bots off sooner or later. At least there are some vaguely decent human beings to watch make funny comments about each other in the interim.

• Love 1

While not a JoJo fan last season, I really liked her on this. She seemed genuine and natural, sort of a not-fake Kaitlyn if you know what I mean. She was easy to be around and spoke well. Plus she told that guy to PUT ON HIS CLOTHES which no other b-ette has ever done. There are the usual weirdos ABC needs to keep people watching and talking. But I thought it was interesting the only guys (except Luke) they previewed were all from California. Way to stay in budget. And Luke's promo could have been filmed in California, too. There are cows and horses by LA, not just in Texas. I couldn't believe the guys ranking on the guy in the kilt. Obviously, those morons don't know that a man in a skirt is the ultimate in hot, hot, HOT. Although did he really say he wasn't wearing "panties"? It's traditional to go commando under a kilt, but ... panties? Oh well. He's gone anyway. I was going to stay unspoiled, but made the mistake of watching Kimmel that night where he picked his winner and the four finalists. He says he "picks them right" every season, which of course he does, courtesy of RS. So, dang it, now I'm spoiled. Although the guy I pick for me stays until hometowns, so I'll enjoy that at least.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, backformore said:

And I agree that Jojo and Jordan seemed very comfortable with each other -  like they already knew each other, and this is all for the sake of putting on a show, telling a story. for a couple who is already a couple.  Not saying that happened, just that it didn't seem genuine, to meet someone for the first time and be THAT comfortable with the touching/kissing.

I think that's what's turning me off about this season.   I know reality shows aren't really reality, but this (to me anyway) seemed so blatantly scripted.

On 5/26/2016 at 7:02 AM, JudyObscure said:

I thought I was the only one watching this! There is no thread for this one yet, is there? I kind of hope it goes somewhere, but it's entertaining so far.

JoJo looked awesome in that dress, I have to admit, but these guys are not doing anything for me. I thought the guy in the kilt was the best looking on there, but I've never seemed to agree with the Bachelorette's taste in men!

• Love 1

I thought the athlete brother of some more famous athlete was cute, and the guy in the kilt. The rest of them seemed either crazy, boring or not that good looking. The canadian even scared me through the tv, he was so weird.

(edited)
  • I think JoJo is going to be a good Bachelorette. She seems comfortable with herself, she has funny little quips, and the men seem to genuinely be interested in her. (Has a house of contestants ever remarked on how hot their Bachelor/Bachelorette is this much? I feel like in Des' season, which is the only Bachelorette I can remember watching, the guys were just hamming it up for the camera and most of them weren't into her, sadly.) Anyway, Caila would've been awful at this. She just didn't have much to say and despite being beautiful, still was just too young and insecure-seeming. The producers made the right call.
  • Jordan seems like a smarmy douche and I hate him already. I'm already suspecting he is there to be famous and be the next Bachelor, but we'll see.
  • Derek looks exactly like John Krasinski (Jim from The Office), who is the ultimate nice, normal guy. I guess that why I liked him off the bat.
  • Daniel is this year's producer's choice where JoJo will keep him around a while so he can keep being weird and giving them material to work with. That conversation with JoJo was the most awkward thing ever -- there's no way she felt OK about that. "I've never been to Texas because I'm from Canada." Oh. "Have not been following the internet the past couple months?" Uh. I figured he would stay even before he jumped in the pool naked for no reason.
  • Chad I thought seemed like an asshole even before the previews of him freaking out, so that's fun that they apparently cast a violent sociopath. I was actually thinking about how on the Bachelor, they manage to find all these insane, emotionally-damaged women who have no self awareness and it creates great drama. But it seems a lot harder to do with men -- you just don't get the same types of characters. I think Chad encompasses why -- the line between annoying and dangerous is a little different. Sheesh.
  • Do you think they intentionally bring in a couple unattractive guys to make the first round easy? I won't name names, but there were a couple guys where I was wondering what the producers were thinking, quite frankly. I'm convinced that's the only reason St. Nick stayed. But I was surprised Peter left, he was attractive enough, and a choice of hers did surprise me based on looks.
Edited by Falafel
  • Love 2
(edited)
On 5/26/2016 at 8:33 AM, backformore said:

I agree.  Too bad Jojo didn't have the self confidence to say "Yeah, we just met.  I'll decide when and who I want to kiss." 

There has been a lot of buzz about JoJo and Jordan knowing each other.   I believe this article that says they did not.  She saw it leaked that he would be a bachelor, that is all. 

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-bachelorette/bachelorette-star-jojo-fletche-60125.aspx

Edited by wings707
13 hours ago, terminalpreppy said:

Yes - absolutely - for some inexplicable reason she has jumped on the LA bandwagon and got fillers. She is in her TWENTIES. Ergh, what!???  She looks terrible. SOrry Kaitlyn, but why these young girls put crap in their face at that age is beyone me...oh i hear Scheana Shay from VPR saying "its preventative" right missy, whatever.

Not anymore!

(edited)

Oh my god, how did i not know about the names on the roses?!! is this common knowledge? I always wondered how they remembered so many names on night one...but didnt one bach or ette get a name wrong once??

I had read that they hand out 3 or 4 roses, then go back to the other room, come back, call some more names, etc.   So they don't need to memorize all the names, only a few at once.  Also, there have been some times when the order of the roses given out was messed with.  

9 hours ago, wings707 said:

There has been a lot of buzz about JoJo and Jordan knowing each other.   I believe this article that says they did not.  She saw it leaked that he would be a bachelor, that is all. 

http://www.buddytv.com/articles/the-bachelorette/bachelorette-star-jojo-fletche-60125.aspx

Ok, they never met, never "talked" - that's what she says.  that doesn't mean they didn't text each other.   I don't know, they just seemed very familiar with each other, right off the bat.  She says his name was leaked, she knew he would be on - and he's the only one she KNEW about before hand.  So why wouldn't she reach out to him in some way?

Edited by backformore
  • Love 1

i'm almost positive the names are on the roses.  I've seen them  "reading the rose" and even moving a leaf or pedal to see the name.

I thought Kaitlyn was 31 or now..32.  She likes her booze.  The fillers will come in handy

• Love 1
(edited)

Stay classy, exgrlfriends! Their vengeful tweets and instagrams etc. sort of affirm the guys' decisions to ditch them imo. I'd bet anything she bragged to everyone all the time about his NFL career when they were dating, now she's telling the world he just rode the bench. A lot of times people get back together after a breakup but these bridges seem to be thoroughly and bitterly burnt. Sad for her.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, terminalpreppy said:

oh no! Arie was such a dud!!! I never understood his appeal. Yeah he was a great kisser (apparently) but he had ZERO presence....sorry Tomgirl! just my opinion!!! A lot of gals liked him though, i think you are the majority! I must say this group has a LOT more good looking guys than ANY other 'ette bunch.

I think we are watching different shows. I'm shocked about how hideous this group is overall. I mean, not just "not TV ready," but below average for random dudes in any bar on a Saturday night. Case in point, erectile dysfunction guy, the hipster guy, and the guy with the cue cards/paper fortune teller. There isn't a single "OMG, who is that hunk in the background?!" guy--and I can't think of any season that didn't at least have a handful of them. Jojo is gorgeous; she could do a lot better looks-wise that ANY of these dudes. That's not to say that some of them might seem more attractive as we get to know their personalities, but so far the couple of guys with the most hotness potential--Jordan and Chad--look like trouble based on the previews...well, especially Chad. Eh, I think there were a couple of others who looked similar to Chad, so I guess I'll root for whichever one of those dudes who seems the nicest.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, terminalpreppy said:

oh no! Arie was such a dud!!! I never understood his appeal. Yeah he was a great kisser (apparently) but he had ZERO presence....sorry Tomgirl! just my opinion!!! A lot of gals liked him though, i think you are the majority! I must say this group has a LOT more good looking guys than ANY other 'ette bunch.

No offense taken, preppy.  As always, YMMV! :)

• Love 1

It boils down to about 4 guys she would ever consider even for casual interaction.  She scoped those on night one and now going through the motions the bachelor machine requires (head bang).  Easy season for her not having to sift through too many contenders though!  

• Love 1

I finally saw this episode last night. I read spoilers, but I can't remember the names mentioned there. Anyhow, the guys I saw sparks with are Jordan, Chad, Luke (TX farmer) and James the singer (more distant 4th place). I could also see some attraction to Christian (motorcycle guy). Daniel the drunk reminded me of David Tennant, the actor who is a Dr. Who and played Barty Crouch Jr. in the Harry Potter movies. I can see Brandon looking like Dimitry, but my first thought was Nicholas Cage when he was younger (Moonstruck). These guys aren't too bad. Chad is the worst. In the Crazyfaces I could see a resemblance to Chris Soules in a couple, but I don't see any resemblance when seeing him on TV.      

On 5/23/2016 at 11:30 PM, petalfrog said:

I'd read that the names are written on the roses... at points you could see Jojo reading the names.

Whoever wrote that was wrong. The rose ceremony takes a long time. The Bachelor/Bachelorette gives out a couple of roses, goes to the "command center" and chats with producers, gives out a couple of roses, goes back, etc. They only have to remember a couple of names at a time. They're not giving out 20 straight roses without a break.