Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E07: Blue Ridge Mountain Blues

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, OhIgetit said:

I totally disagree with all of the Shep hate.  Yes, his parents are wealthy. Yes, his mom stocked the fridge and hired a maid, who cares.  I know moms whose sons would be total mommas boys if the sons allowed it.  His mom will probably always mother him and he knows when to pick his battles.

In regards to him not "working" what's the big deal? He is able to live off his salary from the show and mailbox money it is not like he is living the good life off the government dole. If I could keep my lifestyle and not work I would do it in a heartbeat.

"...if the sons allowed it".  That's my point.  Shep can live however he chooses, but I don't have to respect him for it. 

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, OhIgetit said:

I totally disagree with all of the Shep hate.  Yes, his parents are wealthy. Yes, his mom stocked the fridge and hired a maid, who cares.  I know moms whose sons would be total mommas boys if the sons allowed it.  His mom will probably always mother him and he knows when to pick his battles.

In regards to him not "working" what's the big deal? He is able to live off his salary from the show and mailbox money it is not like he is living the good life off the government dole. If I could keep my lifestyle and not work I would do it in a heartbeat.

Me too.

7 minutes ago, bichonblitz said:

This is what infuriates me about men! They can play around until they are in their 50's and still have plenty women in their 20's and 30's that will want to marry them and start having kids. They have no ticking clock, especially if they have money and access to all the best in life. Shep is in no hurry and why should he be? He has the world by the balls, and he knows that when he's ready there will be no shortage of women circling around him no matter what his age. TRav would, too, if he didn't keep 'effing up and sabotoging his life with his pesky little substance and alcohol issues.

Why let that infuriate you? It just is.

1 minute ago, shoegal said:

"...if the sons allowed it".  That's my point.  Shep can live however he chooses, but I don't have to respect him for it. 

Who is he hurting?

• Love 2

I wonder what Shep's parents think of his lazy routine. OK, so he's rich & sleeps till 3 every day & spends his nights chasing all the stupid idiot chicks in Charleston he can -- er, we can assume of legal age, right?  Sure, if he can afford do this, then he can do it.  But I don't have to like him for pursuing this useless lifestyle, do I?  Good.  Cuz I don't.  I don't find his lazy-ass routine charming in the least.

Shep bugs the absolute shit outta me because there is so much he could be doing with his time & money.  His attitude turns me off big time.  Nothing funny, cute, adorable or goofy about it to me.  At 22, it might be tolerable.  At 36?  Ew, just ew.

• Love 6

Shep went and got an MBA right?

But sounds like he wasn't feeling the corporate life.

If he had to work a lot of hours and deal with office politics, would he still be the happy go lucky, easygoing, affable guy?

He made a choice.  His lifestyle is pretty middle-class.  His family may have mountaintop mansions but he's not driving fancy cars or dressing up ostentatiously.

If he wants nicer things, he could go to work but maybe he doesn't want to put up corporate BS.  Or those kinds of things aren't important to him.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, Higgins said:

I guess I don't get why his family's  financial situation is something he should be disrespected for.

That's not the source of my disrespect, it's that he chooses to be lazy because his family has money.

• Love 2
On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:25 AM, snarts said:

To paraphrase Regina George, that was the ugliest effing crib I've ever seen. WTF? You can get beautiful cribs for a fraction of the price. 

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, RedHawk said:

I don't think he has feelings of desire or attraction, but I think Whitney was pissed at the time because Katkryn pretty clearly used him and then dumped him for Thomas. Then she pushed her way onto Whitney's reality show, altered the focus and trajectory he had in mind, and even worse, became the show's star. IMO she bested him and he didn't even see it coming, and he is still angry about that. 

Hammer? Meet "The Nail."  You 2 are going to be working very closely together!  (in other words, ITA with your post!)

• Love 6

I like Shep-he certainly is the ballast on the show.  For all his male chauvinism he does have a soft spot for Kathryn, Cameran and Landon.  He spent time and effort to get a good business education and apparently it has allowed him a stream of passive money that helps support him.  Since they all work by virtue of doing this show, and I believe Shep is an owner of a restaurant he seems to keep himself busy, regardless of the hours he keeps.  I keep thinking he will find himself a clone of Craig's girlfriend some day. 

I thought he was a little rough on Craig last year and I thought one of the funnier lines was about Craig being good at so many embarrassing things.  I found this interview with Shep:  http://starrymag.com/?p=10505  He will never be accused of taking himself too seriously.

• Love 3

I found it interesting when Shep explained he comes from a family of lawyers, notable and otherwise accomplished people.  It seemed he said it with a touch of embarrassment, as it relates to his own accomplishments (or lack thereof?).  I wonder if he ever does think about his plan for life or maybe he really is as easy-breezy as he appears?  I am 100% in the camp that this man should have no expectation placed on him that a wife and family are the only way to "adulthood" and personal satisfaction.  He does own his little restaurant/bar.  I just wonder if he truly feels he should be doing more?  Or that it never crosses his mind!

I lived a pretty carefree "single girl in the big city" existence from my early twenties through my early thirties.  I never wanted kids, although I did eventually pick up a pretty hot husband!  But all along that path, I knew some day I would grow out of that lifestyle and want more, whether it was being a super involved Aunt, to owning my dream home, to finding my Mr. Right.  I just wonder if Shep envisions anything different for himself down the road?      

• Love 9

I just hate Landon so hard. She has no discernible skills herself, unless you count being supported by others. And, since she failed at her most recent attempt to get her dad to give her more money, she's not doing much of a job at that, either. To hear her making snotty comments about Katherine is infuriating. At least Katherine's doing something [re]productive. Landon? Not so much.

• Love 6

I still love Shep, I can't help it.  He's like a cute little puppy dog.

The "mountain cabin" was just gorgeous.  I am flumoxed though that these chuckleheads would go to gorgeous Asheville and bar hop.  Asheville has such a vibrant downtown area and an incredibly artsy scene (not to mention the gorgeous Biltmore Estate and Biltmore Village.)  You can bar hop and act like fools at home, sheesh.

Seeing the Prince of Darkness speechless and surprised was hilarious.  Clearly Whitney doesn't like to be called on anything.  

TRav is a drunken, perverted old fool.  

Cameron clearly doesn't want to have children.

Landon needs to write those travel articles so she can afford the buy the bottoms of her pajamas.

Craig may be a shit stirrer but at least he can grill and cook.

That lucite crib was painfully fugly.  No surprise that Kim and Kanye would have one.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, OhIgetit said:

If I could keep my lifestyle and not work I would do it in a heartbeat.

I would in a second.  Who the hell wants to get up early in the morning, have an hour commute and work for eight hours?  If I had a trust fund I would not bust my ass to go to work, I'd volunteer, I'd travel, who knows, I might even be in a reality show.

• Love 18
25 minutes ago, psychoticstate said:

I still love Shep, I can't help it.  He's like a cute little puppy dog.

The "mountain cabin" was just gorgeous.  I am flumoxed though that these chuckleheads would go to gorgeous Asheville and bar hop.  Asheville has such a vibrant downtown area and an incredibly artsy scene (not to mention the gorgeous Biltmore Estate and Biltmore Village.)  You can bar hop and act like fools at home, sheesh.

Seeing the Prince of Darkness speechless and surprised was hilarious.  Clearly Whitney doesn't like to be called on anything.  

Landon needs to write those travel articles so she can afford the buy the bottoms of her pajamas.

Craig may be a shit stirrer but at least he can grill and cook.

That lucite crib was painfully fugly.  No surprise that Kim and Kanye would have one.

I thought about that too in regards to the bar hopping. I've lived here 8 years now and only knew about half the places they visited. I'm also a mom to three and don't get out much so there is that. However I doubt they could afford to film at the Biltmore which is why they didn't go there and let's face it, Bilmore does not need the free publicity. They were recently named number 8 on the top 10 landmarks to visit in America. 

• Love 3

Thomas Thomas Thomas. You're playing this all wrong. What squandered potential if chasing tail is his game. Instead of being a sloppy drunk pervert, doesn't this guy realize he has the money and looks (if he cleaned up a bit) to totally pull off a cool George Clooney vibe. You know: sophisticated, mannered, RICH! This guy could have his pick, instead he just comes off as a has been old man. Makes me sad every time he's on my screen.  Sigh. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, sadie said:

Thomas Thomas Thomas. You're playing this all wrong. What squandered potential if chasing tail is his game. Instead of being a sloppy drunk pervert, doesn't this guy realize he has the money and looks (if he cleaned up a bit) to totally pull off a cool George Clooney vibe. You know: sophisticated, mannered, RICH! This guy could have his pick, instead he just comes off as a has been old man. Makes me sad every time he's on my screen.  Sigh. 

I agree. As long as he also dropped the fake funny-French accent! He's proud of his Huguenot ancestry, why doesn't he learn a few phrases of basic French in a passable accent so he doesn't look like a (old) fool when Whitney seems to speak it semi-fluently?

Thomas seems stuck in his world as it was around 1992. He wants to keep raising the roof and using pathetic lines like "What year are you? Oh, a senior? I'm only a junior." Whitney got him on that one: SO lame!

Those girls on the street in Asheville were so young that he just seemed like a creepy pervert chatting them up.

• Love 7

This episode was amazing, some real Rashomon-level shit with those S1 flashbacks!!! Congrats to whoever speculated last week that the Ann Taylor at the foot of the bed was Kathryn's. I was amazed at the genius of holding back all that juicy footage for two seasons and then dropping it in here like it ain't no thang, until I remembered that Whitney runs the show and probably made them keep it out S1 for his own storyline/ass covering purposes. Still, LOVED IT.

In Kathryn's (mild) defense, I'm guessing she didn't pay retail for that crib, etc - the fact that it was a focal point of a storyline makes me think that she got it for free (or at least mega-reduced) in exchange for product placement? Seems like that happens a ton on reality shows.

• Love 7
(edited)
42 minutes ago, itainttippithebird said:

This episode was amazing, some real Rashomon-level shit with those S1 flashbacks!!! Congrats to whoever speculated last week that the Ann Taylor at the foot of the bed was Kathryn's. I was amazed at the genius of holding back all that juicy footage for two seasons and then dropping it in here like it ain't no thang, until I remembered that Whitney runs the show and probably made them keep it out S1 for his own storyline/ass covering purposes. Still, LOVED IT.

In Kathryn's (mild) defense, I'm guessing she didn't pay retail for that crib, etc - the fact that it was a focal point of a storyline makes me think that she got it for free (or at least mega-reduced) in exchange for product placement? Seems like that happens a ton on reality shows.

I also feel that awful Lucite crib was product placement. "See, even a hungover 53-year-old baby daddy can put it together in less than 3 hours!" Though the company really should have sent their rep to wipe off the obvious fingerprints all over it.

Also I agree about the S1 footage that fills in several details and perfectly illustrated Kathryn's story that Craig prodded out of her. Very interesting... yes, Whitney is an executive producer and I have wondered for days just how much of this story line he "scripted", even to the part where he lets it be seen that he stalked away from the Carolina Day party in anger apparently due to being dumped by Kathryn.

Why would Whitney let it be revealed that Kathryn dumped him and even have Craig put it out there that Whitney had "feelings" for her and so now hates her? I guess because he thinks it all makes her look much worse than him and reveals how she schemed to get Thomas, however, she was 22 and he was in his mid 40s at the time, so her adult brain wasn't (and still isn't, according to science!) fully developed yet while he was a full-on adult. I can't blame her that much because it's how a lot of people act in "relationships" in their early 20s. Even his gaping fish mouth at Shep's cabin when Craig threw it all out there was probably scripted, as were the reaction shots that were carefully captured of almost everyone there. I love this show so I just push aside my suspicions that a great deal of it is scripted. And if it is, well, kudos to Whitney. I thought we were seeing much less of him this season because he didn't like how he came across in S1 and S2 and that viewers were making fun of him. Now it looks like he was working up the story line behind the scenes, so I give him some credit for his skillz! I am entertained.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 8

I think the Shep lazy thing is schtick. 

People who own restaurants and bars don't live a 8am-6pm life.

He's doing mailbox money.

Someone else is the general manager of his restaurant, he probably has partial ownership in several enterprises, plus a trust fund, plus more mail box money from Bravo/Sirens whoever.  My guess is he does "work" full-time.

I think he's playing the audience to advantage. It's not like he's going to get fired.

• Love 6

Totally agree that the lucite crib is hideous!  And I can totally see how dingaling Kimye have it in their house. Oosh! And it looks like a baby could hurt himself if he rolled over too fast and hit that damn lucite face first!

Landon is a complete and total douchebag.  That whole "arts and travel" bull.....  Help me. I just can't with her.

• Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

1) Truer words were never spoken about TRav.

2) I really wish the scene with Cam and the shrink went on longer. I do not think it is so cut and dry that she does not want children.  I think the problem is that people work REALLY hard to build an amazing life, then find themselves in their 30s, in the "baby making window" thinking... "I am supposed to blow this nice world up for the unknown?" In your 30s, if things work out...you are finally happy, married to or with someone you love, have the money to travel, have a career you are developing.  If everything is going right, your early 30s are GREAT.   Then, as a woman, you hit that wall of "fuck, I need to start trying to have a baby" even if you are not emotionally ready to rock the nice, low-maintenance, low-stress life you have going.   Even if you have always pictured myself with kids it can be a really difficult trigger to pull, especially when the dialogue surrounding kids is so negative.  All you see on TV, read, and hear anecdotally is how much kids suck, how much everything changes, etc.  Kids are the one thing you can't undo and you have almost no control of the outcome (from how long it will take to conceive to how the birth goes to if the baby is healthy to who your baby is).  I would have loved to hear more of what therapist had to say to Cam because I do not think it is as simple as "she does not want kids."  

Edited by jkitty
  • Love 14
(edited)
3 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

I found it interesting when Shep explained he comes from a family of lawyers, notable and otherwise accomplished people.  It seemed he said it with a touch of embarrassment, as it relates to his own accomplishments (or lack thereof?).  I wonder if he ever does think about his plan for life or maybe he really is as easy-breezy as he appears?  I am 100% in the camp that this man should have no expectation placed on him that a wife and family are the only way to "adulthood" and personal satisfaction.  He does own his little restaurant/bar.  I just wonder if he truly feels he should be doing more?  Or that it never crosses his mind!

I lived a pretty carefree "single girl in the big city" existence from my early twenties through my early thirties.  I never wanted kids, although I did eventually pick up a pretty hot husband!  But all along that path, I knew some day I would grow out of that lifestyle and want more, whether it was being a super involved Aunt, to owning my dream home, to finding my Mr. Right.  I just wonder if Shep envisions anything different for himself down the road?      

Yes!  I think Shep mentioned his siblings are attorneys, maybe a doctor in there? All successful with their own families and I assume, working and accomplishing things in their chosen careers....and then there is Shep.  Of mailbox money and noon wake up calls.  He likes to drink, so he bought himself a bar.  LOL.  I know he put some money into the bar/hot dog stand (that is no longer), but I would respect him more if he put in some work.  I'm not really sure that he does anything other than show up and flirt with the wait staff.  Shep does not have to have a wife and kids in order to be a 'grown up', but maybe it would help!  At least he wouldn't be sleeping until noon?  I don't know, I really liked Shep in the very beginning, but after his treatment of Craig I realized that he's just a lazy, entitled douchebag. 

Shep, you are a middle aged man.  The bloom is off the rose. 

Edited by shoegal
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Grey Goose said:

I think the Shep lazy thing is schtick. 

People who own restaurants and bars don't live a 8am-6pm life.

He's doing mailbox money.

Someone else is the general manager of his restaurant, he probably has partial ownership in several enterprises, plus a trust fund, plus more mail box money from Bravo/Sirens whoever.  My guess is he does "work" full-time.

I think he's playing the audience to advantage. It's not like he's going to get fired.

This story claims he is an investor in several restaurant/clubs:  http://www.charlestonscene.com/20160504/160509768/getting-the-groove-back-the-commodore-reopens-east-side-nightclub-shuttered-for-20-years

• Love 2

The thing I don't like about Shep is that he's real quick to turn on any Pretenders to the Throne. It's real important to him that those who are not landed aristocracy remember their place. His fabled charm and good manners disappear when he has to deal with a Craig or a Landon - when they "get above their raisin."

• Love 9

Why would Whitney let it be revealed that Kathryn dumped him and even have Craig put it out there that Whitney had "feelings" for her and so now hates her?

I wondered if he's lost some of the creative control over time as the show's gotten bigger - perhaps WoW wrested some from his clammy, creepy lil' hands?

• Love 4

I called out Shep for being a mamma's boy last season, but that is definitely the problem. Why find a woman like his mom, when he can have his mom? And all the freedom he wants. She doesn't seem to be pushing him at all to settle down, and completely happy to take care of him and love all his ideas. He said before that he wanted a woman just like his mom but they don't exist.

T-Rav I don't see as a mama's boy at all. He even tried being married for awhile. He is also SUPER rich. I mean, 90 million? That's major. And he works. He's also been engaged a couple times. Actually, T-Rav might benefit from some motherly involvement. Back "home" it seems all the women are after him, even Patricia, so he doesn't need game (but looks ridiculous in a bar). IMO, he was being condescending when he asked the girls outside if they were part of the grunge movement. IMO, that was his way of saying they looked low class. Though I was scared for him when Carson asked she could cut him. 

Whitney, who knows. They don't show much of his lifestyle. His mom doesn't do anything at all. He seems used to be waited on hand and foot. I would say that Shep is the middle class rich guy on this show. I think Thomas is the richest, then Patricia, then Whitney, then JD, then Shep, then Cameron, then Landon, and last, Craig. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

I called out Shep for being a mamma's boy last season, but that is definitely the problem. Why find a woman like his mom, when he can have his mom? And all the freedom he wants. She doesn't seem to be pushing him at all to settle down, and completely happy to take care of him and love all his ideas. He said before that he wanted a woman just like his mom but they don't exist.

T-Rav I don't see as a mama's boy at all. He even tried being married for awhile. He is also SUPER rich. I mean, 90 million? That's major. And he works. He's also been engaged a couple times. Actually, T-Rav might benefit from some motherly involvement. Back "home" it seems all the women are after him, even Patricia, so he doesn't need game (but looks ridiculous in a bar). IMO, he was being condescending when he asked the girls outside if they were part of the grunge movement. IMO, that was his way of saying they looked low class. Though I was scared for him when Carson asked she could cut him. 

Whitney, who knows. They don't show much of his lifestyle. His mom doesn't do anything at all. He seems used to be waited on hand and foot. I would say that Shep is the middle class rich guy on this show. I think Thomas is the richest, then Patricia, then Whitney, then JD, then Shep, then Cameron, then Landon, and last, Craig. 

Where did you get the $90 million figure?

• Love 2
On 5/17/2016 at 10:05 PM, JenE4 said:

Hardy Boy Craig cracks "The Case of the Straying Strumpet and the Dejected Douchebag."

Haha. Thanks for the laugh!

On 5/17/2016 at 3:02 AM, Sun-Bun said:

Kathryn actually appeared sane and logical this episode. Even somewhat likable! That'll change, of course---it was interesting to learn that those infamous icky Anne Taylor clothes on Whitney's bedside floor that Patricia was sneering at in the very first ever episode from S1 were indeed Kathryn's. Interesting that Kathryn "liked" Thomas the best from the beginning, she mentioned; he is the richest of this bunch, so that makes sense.

11 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

This was a good episode.  I liked the flashbacks knowing what we know now.  Everyone always remembered the disgusted "Ann Taylor" comment but know we have it confirmed the clothes were Kathryn's. He!

5 hours ago, itainttippithebird said:

OMG, this was major! How did this never come up before?? And didn't Patricia deny even seeing Kathryn at her house? Now we see the footage! Juicy. Bravo seems to be doing this a lot more lately...they let things play out as a he said/she said thing and then they pull out the magic footage that shows the truth.

• Love 1

One thing I will say about Shep is he is considerate and courteous to those in the service industry. That speaks well of his character. 

It does get on my nerves that he laughs at every cliche he spouts off in his talking heads.  It's annoying when someone laughs at everything they say like Landon. I'm so glad she was found out.  Man, does she have a thing for Shep. 

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, bravofan27 said:

The 90 million figure is on Wikipedia. I was shocked. It may not be perfect figure, but I bet it's close. 

That number has no citation and appears to have been pulled from absolutely nowhere.

• Love 1

Maybe, I've tried to edit stuff on Wiki though, and it's hard... people love to challenge figures. From my experience, if it weren't true it would be pulled. 90 million is A LOT of money. My gosh, I didn't know he was that rich. 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, NYCFree said:

^^^^^^Kathryn Dennis added the $90 million, hoping to influence the family court judges.

LOL. Probably! Or maybe Whitney did so his mom would let them play together. 

• Love 7
(edited)
12 hours ago, shoegal said:

A loving, supporting family, who takes care of his every need.  Don't worry honey, Daddy will make the house payment and Mommy will stock the fridge and arrange for clean up, (probably because she doesn't trust Shep to do it).  I just don't like to see grown men who allow their parents to treat them as if they are still 17.  Yes, Shep seems to be enjoying his life, he's an over grown man child with no responsibility!  He sleeps until noon and parties all night.  He's a perpetual frat boy, which gets old and unbecoming in your mid-30's.  At least IMO. 

When did Shep say it was 'his' home?  I totally got the message that it was a family home.  And if he did refer to it as his home (I don't recall that) it's not unusual to refer to a 'family' home as one's home.  Mommy stocked the refrigerator because she was aware of her son having guests at the house for filming for the show and given the itinerary,  I have no doubt that she made sure everything was in perfect order before the cast was there.  And speaking of the itinerary,  Mommy knew that they were staying in Ashville the night before and made sure everything was set up for the next day (including food).  Call me a mommy because I would have done the same thing.  Sorry but I didn't see anyone treating their son as if they were seventeen.  If you're going to treat someone as if they're seventeen, you would have been there.

11 hours ago, shoegal said:

Thanks, I'm glad I'm entitled to my opinion.  LOL. 

Whether Shep's trust fund money can be categorized as "his own money" is debatable IMO, I'd bet (my own hard earned) money his mom comes over and stocks his fridge.  I do believe his Mommy helps him out with that house..didn't she decorate it?  I seem to recall her coming over and this being discussed.  My favorite part of the phone call with Mommy about her getting everything ready for Shep and his friends was her making sure he knew how to start the gas fireplace outside, Shep's response was 'yeah, I think Dad showed me how to do it'.  Geez, he really is a freaking baby! 

...and Shep should be the one filmed vacuuming and washing the sheets.  It's the least he could do. IMO.

Mommy lives over two hours away and I highly doubt she comes over to stock his fridge.  I don't believe Mommy helps him out either.    He apparently has inherited some money.  Um, there's many men out there who don't have a clue about decorating and I find nothing all that surprising about asking a parent about something you don't have a clue about.  Asking about starting the gas fireplace?  Nope.  I wouldn't label him a baby about that at all.  Is it a propane tank?  Is it directly set up to gas?  Where 'is' the starter?  Do you have to prime it before starting.  And arranging a housekeeper to clean up after the weekend?  Hey.  Mommy knows who to call.  And it's no surprise she made arrangements.  She probably had the same housekeeper make sure everything was spotless before Shep, the cast and the crew got there (I know I would).

13 hours ago, shoegal said:

Thank you!!!! Shep's mountain home is not lovely, because Shep has no mountain home!! Shep's DAD has a lovely home in the mountains! Don't get me wrong, I think Shep is a nice guy but he's what, 35 years old? And his mommy stocks the fridge for a party with his friends and arranges for the housekeeper to come when you leave? That's awesome when you are 23....pathetic when you are 35. 

Thats the problem with the trust fund/"mailbox money". If Shep actually had to get a job, maybe Peter Pan would grow up. Whoever said T-Rav is Shep in 15 years nailed it. 

It's Shep's DAD who has the lovely home?  It is Shep's dad's family property but Shep's dad and mom may disagree with you about whose 'home' it is.  

As for mailbox money, we don't know.  Shep has an MBA from Vanderbilt.  We don't know how much his trust fund or at this point (given his age is) an inheritance is or how he has handled it.  I seem to recall that Shep saying he has invested his money.  Yeah, he opened the restaurant and is now opening another venue.  He also has a home in Hilton Head that he rents.  Considering his MBA he may well  invest his money in the market and other things (that is a job).   I don't see Shep as a Peter Pan.  I don't see him as a spoiled rich kid.  He drives around in an older jeep and lives in a not so great neighborhood.  If that what makes 'him' happy who is anyone to judge.  It's his life. 

And as others have stated, I really like that he always tells his mother he loves her and I think it's totally sincere.  I also liked Shep's attitude of being inclusive.  Shep is far from perfect and I've not appreciated some of the comments that he's made (referring back to a couple of episodes) but he does have the right to live his life the way 'he' wants.

Edited by breezy424
I spelled Vanderbilt wrong.
  • Love 8

Idk, I'm still giving a suspicious stinkeye to this Ghoul/Whitney-shacked-up-with-Kathryn-for-5-days storyline.  Not that I'm not enjoying it & finding it totally delish, but still, this is Whitney we're talkin' about here.  And he is one of the producers & I just can't imagine anyone actually having sex with this zombie-man -- even a lunatic/nutcase like Kathryn.  You know, I hesitate calling her a lunatic/nutcase.  Why?  Because she hasn't caused any crazy scenes yet this season.  Well, the closest she came was stomping out on JD's wife (sorry, forgot her name).  But that wasn't so bad.  Surprisingly, she's acted pretty sane so far this season.  Oh, that simply must change -- for the sake of our entertainment.  No, I refer to her being a lunatic/nutcase for trying to have a relationship with Thomas.  Yuck.  Btw, I for one refuse to call him T-Rav.  Just cuz.

• Love 2

The whole Kathryn/Whitney schtick is just so there is SOME storyline on this show.  Really, there isn't much going on here so it's manufactured drama to have something for these people to talk about.  

Let's say the story we are being fed is true, that Whitney has unrequited love for Kathryn because of her ditching him for his best friend after a 5 day love affair....

Kathryn never once considered it in all her shouting matches with Whitney last season?

Kathryn never once considered that he might be sabotaging her when Whitney was having girls dance all over T-Rav in his stupid-ass campaign commercial?

Kathryn never once considered that Patricia's hatred might come from her ditching Whitney for T-Rav?

Kathryn is too conniving and thoughtful to have not considered these options.  Kathryn spends an inordinate amount of time worrying about and discussing ways and the reasons for why people don't like her, diss her or are otherwise mean to her.  I am just not buying that she never put two and two together of the Whitney love affair and her leaving him.

As ScoobieDoobs mentioned, I will enjoy it and find it "delish" but I am not buying into it hook, line and sinker.

16 hours ago, bravofan27 said:

Yes, you've nailed it, Shep is a mamma's boy.  I'd also add living off daddy's money, or granddaddy's money I think in this case. I would love a peek at Shep in 10 years.  Would be interesting!

• Love 2
12 hours ago, breezy424 said:

When did Shep say it was 'his' home?  I totally got the message that it was a family home.  And if he did refer to it as his home (I don't recall that) it's not unusual to refer to a 'family' home as one's home.  Mommy stocked the refrigerator because she was aware of her son having guests at the house for filming for the show and given the itinerary,  I have no doubt that she made sure everything was in perfect order before the cast was there.  And speaking of the itinerary,  Mommy knew that they were staying in Ashville the night before and made sure everything was set up for the next day (including food).  Call me a mommy because I would have done the same thing.  Sorry but I didn't see anyone treating their son as if they were seventeen.  If you're going to treat someone as if they're seventeen, you would have been there.

Mommy lives over two hours away and I highly doubt she comes over to stock his fridge.  I don't believe Mommy helps him out either.    He apparently has inherited some money.  Um, there's many men out there who don't have a clue about decorating and I find nothing all that surprising about asking a parent about something you don't have a clue about.  Asking about starting the gas fireplace?  Nope.  I wouldn't label him a baby about that at all.  Is it a propane tank?  Is it directly set up to gas?  Where 'is' the starter?  Do you have to prime it before starting.  And arranging a housekeeper to clean up after the weekend?  Hey.  Mommy knows who to call.  And it's no surprise she made arrangements.  She probably had the same housekeeper make sure everything was spotless before Shep, the cast and the crew got there (I know I would).

It's Shep's DAD who has the lovely home?  It is Shep's dad's family property but Shep's dad and mom may disagree with you about whose 'home' it is.  

As for mailbox money, we don't know.  Shep has an MBA from Vanderbilt.  We don't know how much his trust fund or at this point (given his age is) an inheritance is or how he has handled it.  I seem to recall that Shep saying he has invested his money.  Yeah, he opened the restaurant and is now opening another venue.  He also has a home in Hilton Head that he rents.  Considering his MBA he may well  invest his money in the market and other things (that is a job).   I don't see Shep as a Peter Pan.  I don't see him as a spoiled rich kid.  He drives around in an older jeep and lives in a not so great neighborhood.  If that what makes 'him' happy who is anyone to judge.  It's his life. 

And as others have stated, I really like that he always tells his mother he loves her and I think it's totally sincere.  I also liked Shep's attitude of being inclusive.  Shep is far from perfect and I've not appreciated some of the comments that he's made (referring back to a couple of episodes) but he does have the right to live his life the way 'he' wants.

Shep didn't refer to it as his house, he made the mention of mommy and daddy need to 'keep working' to pay for it, I was referencing the comments about the house, which made mention that Shep had a lovely mountain home.  Look, Shep can let his mommy grocery shop and decorate and otherwise keep baby boy Shep as happy as a clam for as long as he wants, he can sleep all day and drink all night and otherwise be a lazy layabout for the rest of his natural life,  of course he has that "right", but like I said, I don't have to respect him for it.   

• Love 2

Personally, I don't get the Shep hate.  I don't adore Shep but if his parents are taking care of him, or he's living off a trust fund/inheritance or whatever.  He's not hurting anybody, he's not living off the taxpayers.  Where does it say that everybody has to go out to work at twenty-five or thirty-five?  Where does it say that everybody has to be married with children by forty?  Believe me, if I had a trust fund and didn't have to get up early to go to work every day, I wouldn't. 

• Love 14
13 hours ago, breezy424 said:

I don't see Shep as a Peter Pan.  I don't see him as a spoiled rich kid.  He drives around in an older jeep and lives in a not so great neighborhood.  If that what makes 'him' happy who is anyone to judge.  It's his life. 

I agree. Shep doesn't act like a special little snowflake (I'm looking at you, Whitney) and he's not a total douchebag (paging T-Rav).  Clearly the show wants to feature him as someone who sleeps in late, enjoys the cocktails and has a relative life of leisure.  Maybe that's true, maybe not.  But he has been unfailingly polite and courteous and he's a gamer, which I appreciate.  Except for getting his panties in a bunch over Craig last season, he always appears to support his friends as well.  I think he would be fun to hang out with, so long as you weren't expecting anything but fun.

12 hours ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Idk, I'm still giving a suspicious stinkeye to this Ghoul/Whitney-shacked-up-with-Kathryn-for-5-days storyline.

I love this show if for no other reason than 5 days worth of banging (TM Vanderpump Rules chucklefucks) equals some relationship that will cause the Prince of Darkness to hold a grudge for 3 years.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Personally, I don't get the Shep hate.  I don't adore Shep but if his parents are taking care of him, or he's living off a trust fund/inheritance or whatever.  He's not hurting anybody, he's not living off the taxpayers.  Where does it say that everybody has to go out to work at twenty-five or thirty-five?  Where does it say that everybody has to be married with children by forty?  Believe me, if I had a trust fund and didn't have to get up early to go to work every day, I wouldn't. 

Preach, sister.

• Love 12

Well I really came here to express how squicked-out I was by Thomas and Whitney in Asheville, and my big fat Kathryn opinion, but on the topic of family vacation homes... having a local "helper" who cleans when one group leaves and stocks the pantry before another arrives is kind of standard, no? When Shep's mom said she'd stocked the fridge I doubt she meant she personally dragged a cart through Publix (or whatever stores they have in the Blue Ridge Mountains Appalachia). That was the least eye-brow raising thing of the entire ep for me but maybe I've lived among weirdos. <-- yes

Anyway, my big fat Kathryn opinion: A party girl who lives way out in the boonies crashing at someone's house in town for a few days during filming (and possibly hooking up with that someone) is hardly a relationship, and I doubt Whitney thought of her as anything more than a fun piece of temporary ass and/or great find for the show. The fact that she made it obvious she really wanted Thomas probably pissed Whitney off, though, but not enough to cause the giant telenovela Craig is trying to write because he has no storyline of his own, besides mooching off his rich girlfriend and fetching JD's coffee.

Landon's comment that much of the group's banter is edited out because it is too intellectual for us, the drooling audience? LOLOLOLOL. Try us, Landon. Throw some of your, like, intellectual wit our way and, like, let us be, like, the judge. Talk to us about travel and art and, like, art and stuff.

• Love 24

Ms. Special Snowflake speaks like an intellectual?  Uh, when?  Is this another trait which exists only in her teeny tiny brain -- like that she's an artist too?  Oy, Snowflake, I still pity your poor father.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, ScoobieDoobs said:

Ms. Special Snowflake speaks like an intellectual?  Uh, when?  Is this another trait which exists only in her teeny tiny brain -- like that she's an artist too?  Oy, Snowflake, I still pity your poor father.

Sorry, I forgot to link:

I wish they could leave in some of the hilarious banter but I guess some of it is too intellectual and our audience might not get the jokes.

http://www.realitytea.com/2016/05/09/exclusive-southern-charms-landon-clements-opens-relationships-show-launching-travel-website-roam-fall/

• Love 1

I can explain the Shep dislike for those who seem so puzzled by it.  First off, it's more dislike than hate.  I've seen no hate toward him.

The Shep dislike stems from not caring for his laziness or his aimless lifestyle.  What's so baffling?  Doesn't seem hard to understand to me.  Some seem super-charmed by him, in spite of his lazy-ass routine.  That's fine & dandy & wonderful.  Quite frankly, I'm puzzled by those who love him so much. 

I'll defend my right to dislike him precisely because of his useless lifestyle & his non-stop flaunting that he can continue his lazy/useless lifestyle because of his (or his family's) wealth.

• Love 12

"I do not think it is so cut and dry that she does not want children. I think the problem is that people work REALLY hard to build an amazing life, then find themselves in their 30s, in the "baby making window" thinking... "I am supposed to blow this nice world up for the unknown?" In your 30s, if things work out...you are finally happy, married to or with someone you love, have the money to travel, have a career you are developing. If everything is going right, your early 30s are GREAT. Then, as a woman, you hit that wall of "fuck, I need to start trying to have a baby" even if you are not emotionally ready to rock the nice, low-maintenance, low-stress life you have going. Even if you have always pictured myself with kids it can be a really difficult trigger to pull, especially when the dialogue surrounding kids is so negative. All you see on TV, read, and hear anecdotally is how much kids suck, how much everything changes, etc. Kids are the one thing you can't undo and you have almost no control of the outcome (from how long it will take to conceive to how the birth goes to if the baby is healthy to who your baby is). I would have loved to hear more of what therapist had to say to Cam because I do not think it is as simple as "she does not want kids."" Wow, as a new mom, I could not agree more!! Great insight!

• Love 6