Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

They need to do some damage control because they are becoming highly unlike able. I've said this since the first season. You can't sit there and cry about money when you have everything top of the line. Now they live in a mansion. They can afford to put 4 kids in 'school' when mom doesn't work. They have brand new everything. Monogrammed everything. They apparently find time to workout and have freedom. They live the high life and want to sit there and moan about money. It's not fun watch when most people do NOT have fancy items or clothes or a fancy home or a brand new car and we need to feel sorry for these people. 

Do they not have insurance? They keep talking about medical bills. But then they live what to me is a dream life. How about you don't buy  $150 worth of Monogrammed boutique outfits every now and then?? 

• Love 5

It's quite possible that a lot of the stuff they have was gifted. Companies like to do that for families of multiples; it gives good publicity. It's all possible that a lot of the money talk is for the show, a storyline. There's only so much you can talk about/do with these types of shows. I feel like that's a thing that always gets brought up. It's quite possible they're doing alright now, but are already trying to think ahead because college for 6 kids would be insanely expensive. 

I'm sure they have insurance, and still have bills. Depending on your insurance, you can still pay quite a lot out of pocket. 

I still think investing in this cycle place is majorly stupid, and I was surprised the financial adviser recommended taking a second mortgage out on the home. But, then again, I am super adverse to debt of all kinds. 

I liked the Halloween stuff. For some reason it just thrilled me that Blake wanted to be a zookeeper, and I love that she got to pick out all of her sister's costumes. They looked adorable. 

Adam with his scaring people shit would drive me mental in about 2 seconds flat. 

But his face when Mimi came out in her costume? Priceless!

• Love 3

I'm thinking that TLC not only paid for the quints costumes but the costumes for everyone at the party.  They may even provide a clothing budget for the quints--since it is all about 5 adorable babies in cute outfits.  The promotion for Little Caesars was interesting.  Adam and Danielle are all in when it comes to developing income streams.  They may as well take advantage while they can.

Guest BarkyVonSchnauzer

It makes me so nervous watching Danielle walk down that grand staircase with a baby on each hip.  I keep thinking one small slip could be disastrous but I guess that is everyday life with five toddlers.  I laughed when she just sprinkled Cherrios all over the rug in the living room, like she was feeding chickens.

I don't think I've seen such blatant advertising as the pizza last night. I'm sure many of the reality tv shows try to fit in the sponsors product. But usually it's a little more subtle. What's funny is when Daniel first told Adam to get Little Caesers, I was surprised they were serving pizza that's one step above cardboard (tastewise), but soon became apparent why.

• Love 3

I just got sucked into this show over the weekend, because it was playing non-stop on TLC. Am I right in thinking the husband gives off an odd vibe?? I can't place it, but there is something in his voice and in his body language that sets off my Weirdo detector. Am I the only one?

• Like 1
  • Love 6

I laughed when they had Adam pretend to worry about whether or not to go into that new business venture. Daniel wanted it, so no way he would be able to say no. She sure wears the pants in that family. Last week, she said if they did it, it would give her a 9-5 job, and she could help with the family income. So, is she done raising the quints already then? She will have to hire a nanny, and that sure would eat into any profit she makes. I think Adam is odd too..that high twangy voice, odd hair do, and poppy eyes. Hope the girls take after their mother in looks.

• Love 1

I started watching this season and was wondering if they worried about their expenses last season too?  It seems like Danielle and Adam are continuing to live as they did with one child and are realizing they can't sustain that lifestyle. The medical bills make sense if the girls need diagnostic tests or need surgery and they haven't reached their pay limit for the year or pay a % of the overall costs.

The cycling studio sounds like a bad idea if they feel like they're treading water financially.  Also, getting into business with friends can get tricky if things do go south. Hopefully, one of their partners has started a business before. 

I did worry about Hazel last night. It looks like one of her eyes is bothering her - she had one of her eyes shut and head tilted at an angle.  She is making progress walking and has such a cute personality. Fingers crossed she can catch up to her sisters and her identity isn't permanently set by her parents as the daughter who is always a few steps behind.  

I think that the girls, or at least Hazel, saw an occupational therapist before the "girls go to school" episode. It was just too convenient that they could schedule the appointment so quickly and in a previous episode, Danielle was doing something with Hazel on an exercise ball.

Edited by birkenstock
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Kellyee said:

I just got sucked into this show over the weekend, because it was playing non-stop on TLC. Am I right in thinking the husband gives off an odd vibe?? I can't place it, but there is something in his voice and in his body language that sets off my Weirdo detector. Am I the only one?

He is naturally whiny.  It would drive me nuts.

1 hour ago, SongbirdHollow said:

I got a Roku for Christmas so I'm no longer forced to watch broadcast crap like this, so I missed it. Did they really go through with the second mortgage and invest in that business??????

Adam said they have a lot of equity in the house, so they could take a line of credit.

1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

Of course they did..Daniel wanted to and that is all that matters in that house. Adam keeps worrying about Hazel not walking, and I think that that is the least of that poor baby's problems.

Nitpick:  it's Danielle.

• Love 2

Dale cracks me up: "Y'all have too many kids"  Indeed.

I know I'm horrible, but I laughed when Adam was scaring the kids.  Also, when Danielle tried to scare him and he could see her in the mirror.  Hee.

• Love 2

In some respects I kind of wish they would just be direct about the product placement.  Sure the Little Caesars was a bit awkward but they could say "it was so nice of the costume barn* to donate us these costumes" or "it is a great help that Wal-Mart can donate us these matching outfits".  Or at the very least like on shows like the news, the closing goes to Clothes for the family donated by ____, pizza for the party donated by Little Caesars, Costumes donated by the costume barn, etc.

*I have no idea what the place was named, I just made something up.

• Love 2

I did worry about Hazel last night. It looks like one of her eyes is bothering her - she had one of her eyes shut and head tilted at an angle.  She is making progress walking and has such a cute personality. Fingers crossed she can catch up to her sisters and her identity isn't permanently set by her parents as the daughter who is always a few steps behind.  

I noticed Hazel's eye stuff last night, too.  I have a feeling she will need glasses very soon.  (I think little kids wearing glasses are the cutest!)  I fear that she will always be a few steps behind her sisters.  Adam is so focused on her walking, but I think that is not her biggest problem.  She doesn't seem to engage like the other girls do.  I hope they get her whatever help she needs.

• Love 4

The complaining about money rings very false to me. A white family that includes fit, attractive parents and a cute set of multiples = a ton of free stuff. Plus, they have a television show and a blog with a decent following.

I don't buy that TLC is the one providing a clothing budget for the kids at all though.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, trimthatfat said:

I don't buy that TLC is the one providing a clothing budget for the kids at all though.

Some people have commented that the wardrobe is very 'Texas' ... well then, I'm going to stay back East!  Most of the dressier outfits are just so ugly.  It is just a shame since you can get such cute stuff at Target, Kohl's, or if you want to spend a little more, Gymboree.

• Love 1
On 12/28/2016 at 1:18 PM, Honey said:

Dale cracks me up: "Y'all have too many kids"  Indeed.

I know I'm horrible, but I laughed when Adam was scaring the kids.  Also, when Danielle tried to scare him and he could see her in the mirror.  Hee.

Haha  Dale is the hit of the show. I loved when he asked Mimi if she was a cougar for Halloween.  

• Love 4

why is what Mimi taught such a secret? She just replied in an interview " I like all ages..". Yes, teachers do, but their license/experiences is a little more specific (nursery/early childhood vs. kindergarten vs. elementary vs. high school-subjects). I don't get why the big mystery. Yes, college is expensive. Yes, college is hard. Yes, college studies take time away from day-to-day adult responsibilities. But in 25 years being in an  educational system (who probably had tuition reimbursement of some-kind plan) , just by taking one class a year, would have led to full state certification. And if the quints plus her other grands are "making her tired" & "she's too old for this..." why interview at a preschool-learning center? Why not meet the principal or teachers at Blyke's school? And I am surprised that the preschool owner would offer to hire her to teach other teachers, if she doesn't have full license credentials. I also find it odd that in all of Lake Charles & Houston plus their surrounding areas/school systems, she couldn't find a job and/or other job leads.

Edited by sATL
typo
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

In regards to Mimi and her teaching, I was wondering if she decided to sell her house and move to Texas to be closer to her daughters and grandchildren. Maybe the producers asked her if she'd like to be a regular on the tv show, so she had to give up her job and house in order to do it. Then the show just sort of made up this storyline of Mimi having to move due to a job loss. Maybe the tv show pays a better salary.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CarolMK said:

In regards to Mimi and her teaching, I was wondering if she decided to sell her house and move to Texas to be closer to her daughters and grandchildren. Maybe the producers asked her if she'd like to be a regular on the tv show, so she had to give up her job and house in order to do it. Then the show just sort of made up this storyline of Mimi having to move due to a job loss. Maybe the tv show pays a better salary.

There was no reason for Mimi to not just say that her daughter, with 6 children (5 of them newborns) needs her now, and she is moving to Texas to help her. No need for pretending. I still am skeptical about her teaching experience and credential status, since they so obviously are avoiding discussing it.

• Love 4

Maybe the producers asked her if she'd like to be a regular on the tv show, so she had to give up her job and house in order to do it. Then the show just sort of made up this storyline of Mimi having to move due to a job loss. Maybe the tv show pays a better salary.

No one in their right mind would willingly give up a full time position to be on a reality show.  (I know people have, but in my opinion they are not in their right minds.)  Reality shows don't pay as well as scripted TV.  If a show is a hit, the price goes up, but they start out really, really low.  They get paid per episode, and Mimi isn't one of the main characters so she wouldn't be paid as well as the parents.  They don't get residuals and don't have the workplace protections that union shows do.  And who knows how long the show will last?  I fully believe that she lost her job (contract not renewed).  I don't know what level she taught or even if she was a teacher or an aide.  But yeah, something is fishy because they are so very vague about her previous job.

• Love 3

If Mimi's scatter brain is not an act, I can see why she lost her job. 2 hours late to appointments, not reserving a room, getting 'stressed' all.the.time. Most teachers I know or have met are pretty on top of things. 

I'm sure it was just for the show and they are semi seperated from others patrons. But I think it's rude to take your screaming babies to a restaurant. If you have to take fussy kids out to eat, hit up a Chuck E. Cheese. I've got 5 of my own and when they were babies and fussed, one of us took them to the lobby. But usually we didn't even take them out to eat, so we, as well as everyone else, could enjoy our overpriced food. Also, anyone with a phlegmy hacking cough should refrain from eating out...that's actually worse than screaming babies ??

• Like 1
  • Love 4

I actually started to feel badly for Mimi this episode. First of all, if it's a big family vacation, why does she have to book her own room? I didn't get it. Is TLC not paying? Are they not being comped for free advertising? Could someone not have handled all the booking? So doesn't have a room and has to sleep on the roll-a-way in the quints' room??? That just seemed unfair. I know SHE chose to move closer, but it really does seem like she's the expected babysitter 95% of the time. 

Then the girls just took off during the mud run and left her behind. I get it. They're younger, they're fitter, they're more competitive. But they kept saying it was a "family thing", so why couldn't they just chill and run with her? I'd never leave MY mama behind like that. But my mom's not a runner. I'd have probably bought her a spa morning so she could have a minute to herself. 

I just really thought the entire trip was a bad, bad idea. I'm not familiar with the resort they went to. Is it a typical family resort? I just felt awful for everyone who works there, was vacationing there, etc. - having to listen to non-stop crying babies and smell their poop-filled room wafting down the hallway. All the other family members seemed mega stressed as well. What kind of vacation was that??? For anyone??? I would never attempt more than a few hours away from home with quints until they're 3-4. 

And then the penguin thing....I just about stopped watching. I'm really passionate about animals not being entertainment for humans. Do those poor little penguins really want rooms full of people screaming and crying and touching all over them? Somehow I doubt it. 

I've enjoyed this family for the most part, but this was NOT my favorite episode. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 11

Mimi didn't have a room because that is her story line.  The frazzled, put-upon Grammy is her part in this non-reality show.  She NEVER had a room, it was planned the whole time.

• Love 4

I haven't watched yet, but no one in their right mind would go on a vacation with 5 babies....unless it was a TLC planned storyline.  TLC always sends folks on vacations.  I feel bad for the babies because they had no idea what was going on and didn't want any stinkin' vacation.

• Love 1

I realize that the vacation was for the show, but that just solidifies my opinion that children shouldn't be on reality TV.  It was stressful for those poor babies, and not much fun for anyone else.  They said the resort was just an hour away, so it would be the perfect place for a day trip to see the dinosaurs, penguins, whatever.  I did have to laugh, though, at the men feeling so put upon the day they had to watch all the children for a few hours, but thought nothing of leaving the women to watch them the next day.

• Love 2

I ended up watching all the episodes from season 1 and 2 over the weekend and just caught season 2's episode 8 (vacation disaster).

Thoughts: I do think that Danielle and Adam like one another, which puts them miles ahead of Jon and Kate at any point, imo. While I don't think I would ever be best friends with either of them, they seem to be reasonably likeable people who are in a challenging parenting situation. They bicker a bit, and both of them can be snippy, but overall, it seems like they're solid enough.

Cycling center: Jeeeeeebus, that seems like an awful and too-risky venture. Adam was lucky that his brother-in-law boss (whose name escapes me) was so supportive and said they'll make it a family thing. Loved how Dale basically threw down and outed Adam's plans. Dale amuses me. And the constant complaining about money -- when they live in a huge house and seem to spend quite a bit of money -- it's getting old.

Mimi: I suspect that she is quite a handful in real life, and I'm sure that TLC is milking everything about Mimi. But I was really uncomfortable about how they treated her during the vacation (or I should say "vacation"). Those are YOUR kids, Danielle and Adam. YOU get to sleep with them, ffs. And it wasn't like Mimi really wanted to do the fun run.  I just thought that they were mean to and about her.

And I'm all for fitness -- but heavens, these people take it to another level.

Hazel worries me. SUCH a cutie!! But I would not be surprised if she has several developmental struggles, at least physically. I understand that they adore her and don't want her to suffer (what parent would??), but if she has any longstanding issues, they're going to have to...accept it. Which maybe sounds heartless...but sometimes I worry that they focus so much on external perfection that being the "struggling sister" could be awfully tough. I will say that Blayke (which omg it pains me to type that spelling) seems like a lovely, adaptable, kind little girl. I think she has a naturally flexible personality, but clearly A and D are doing a nice job as parents.

• Love 2

I worry about Hazel, too.  (I have a developmentally disabled daughter so have been around people with disabilities my entire adult life.)  I do think there are probably some long-term issues and that she will always be behind her sisters.  I wish Adam wouldn't focus so much on her not walking when there are obviously other issues.  Of course, we don't see everything that goes on, but i certainly hope that they are getting professional help for her.  What I really hope is that they can see her for who she is and not as "less than."

• Love 2

when the women left the kids with the men, it was well and good. When the men wanted to golf Danielle said they were "dumping them with the kids and abandoning them". I think that was an offhand comment but perfectly encapsulates her attitude. She seems to run that house. Her way or no way. 

I thinkle it's fine they took a vacation. We saw an hour complication for what was what, 3 or 4 days? So yes we saw the drama. I'm sure there was plenty of fun and quiet. 

Mimi had one job. Book a room. She didn't help pack or load and couldn't even book her own room because apparently computers are too hard. (Her words.) She seems a nightmare. Loses her job, lives with her kids, then complains about helping. Heck, this is the woman who passed off a kid in the middle of the morning and left because she was tired. She's lucky they let her sleep in the babies room. Why should the people who actually made reservations for their family be put out because this lady said she clicked a button didn't verify it went through? She's grown. She can reserve a room. 

I like Dale. I think he's hilarious. He dropped that bomb on the golf course like a professional pot stirrer and my husband and I both laughed out loud. 

Still think the cycle studio is stupid. I'm with Dale. I wouldn't pay for s**t. 

• Love 3

I wouldn't be brave enough to take all those kids at the age of 18 months on vacation. That said, they probably did the best that they could under the circumstances. I wonder if at some point Danielle should just take Blayke on a little overnight vacation and leave the quints home with Adam.

I've really been wondering about Danielle and her sisters. They all have their own businesses. It hasn't been discussed on the show, but Danielle has her makeup business. Her one sister has the beauty salon. Apparently the 3 husbands all work together in a very lucrative real estate business. Danielle and Adam have $100,000 to invest in a bicycle studio. Yet Mimi is broke. I still have a theory that Danielle's father died and left his daughters quite a bit of money, but Mimi was divorced from him and maybe just got the house she's now trying to sell. 

• Love 2

Dale is the Greek Chorus.

Keep him mic'ed at all times, he is comic gold.

He looks like Brian Wilson did 50 years and a ton of drugs ago.

Mimi could have easily driven to her temporary home if she didn't want to stay the night, League City is just over the Causeway from Moody Beach.

Producer induced drama.

Wow, the quints' outfits were especially ugly in last night's episode.

Bless their hearts.

Adam's bugged eyed look is grating on my nerves.

Looks like he has hyperthyroidism.

Watch for Hazel's cameos, the rest of the babies, meh.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
12 minutes ago, CarolMK said:

I wouldn't be brave enough to take all those kids at the age of 18 months on vacation. That said, they probably did the best that they could under the circumstances. I wonder if at some point Danielle should just take Blayke on a little overnight vacation and leave the quints home with Adam.

I've really been wondering about Danielle and her sisters. They all have their own businesses. It hasn't been discussed on the show, but Danielle has her makeup business. Her one sister has the beauty salon. Apparently the 3 husbands all work together in a very lucrative real estate business. Danielle and Adam have $100,000 to invest in a bicycle studio. Yet Mimi is broke. I still have a theory that Danielle's father died and left his daughters quite a bit of money, but Mimi was divorced from him and maybe just got the house she's now trying to sell. 

I thought Adam and the others guys were in the oil business?

Hazel's eyes are always watering.

Edited by Honey

I'm with Mimi on the computer reservations. Even when I get an email confirmation I don't relax until I'm actually at the desk and they hand me a key. Young people just don't understand how uneasy it is for the older crowd to just trust a computer system.

• Love 3

I can recognize Reilly and Parker more often now, but I still can't tell Olivia and Ava apart. Of course, I always recognize Hazel. They are all adorable, but Hazel is my favorite also. 

• Love 2

I think Mimi sleeping with the quints was for the show. Otherwise, I think it would have made more sense to split up the babies. Put three babies with Danielle and her mom, and two babies with Adam and Blayke. I would think it would be easier to get them to sleep that way. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Honey said:

I thought Adam and the others guys were in the oil business?

I did too but his LinkedIn says account manager for Intrinsic Solutions/Sprint Safety, categorized as IT. But they serve the petrochemical industry: Intrinsic Solutions LP, a leader in mission-critical and industrial two-way radio communication services in the Gulf Coast.
Intrinsic Solutions serves the petrochemical and refinery industry from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, to Corpus Christi, Texas.

• Like 1

Hazel is definitely my fave! I love her little grins and the way she cocks that little red head of hers ??

Can i ask why some of you think there's more going on with her than the eyesite issues? That would certainly affect balance and walking. 

Mimi. Everytime she says she's "tard" I laugh and say it too.."im soooooo tard too, Mimi!"

Dale should definitely be mic'd up at every opportunity.

Count me in as another one who finds Adam strange looking. Certainly not my type. But he's a great Dad, I think. His daughters will love him as they grow up. 

Edited by MarysWetBar
  • Love 1

TLC made the reservations, not any of them.  They handed Mimi a script that told her she was sleeping with the babies.  That's why before they left, she made a point of saying a nice relaxing weekend sounded nice.  So then we, the viewers, would feel bad for her being stuck in a room with the babies.  It's all made up for the drama.  Just like making the viewers think one of the babies was choking to death, right before a commercial break.  If the baby was crying, she wasn't choking.  You need air to cry.

• Love 3

Can i ask why some of you think there's more going on with her than the eyesite issues? That would certainly affect balance and walking. 

For me, watching her just reminds me of many others I've known who have developmental disabilities.  I don't think it's anything severe, and her vision certainly is a factor.  I guess only time will tell for sure.

• Love 1

Other than the MIA hotel room reservation issue, I'm giving Mimi a pass this week. While I do understand some are not too comfortable making and/or confirming reservations via a computer, phones do still work. looks like there were plenty of people at the front desk to take a call. Danielle needs to realize her mom, while being a loving grandma, is still working -a full-time job. Also it appears that Mimi personality is not the "grandma-type" who wants to be around toddlers all of her free time. It doesn't take much to stress her out. Asking her to sleep with the babies was a bit much. If it was me, and there was no room, I would have left and stayed at the next nearest place , at least one night to get out of my work clothes, shower ,get a decent meal w/ a "grown-up" beverage  & a good night sleep. Why does a family who live close/work together NEED to have a 18 person weekend/vacation/trip ? I agree with Dale- who made it clear he didn't want to watch kids on his "vacation ". I would have loved to see each sister-family do an activity on their own. RE: restaurant - when mine was that little I would order ahead and/or from the appetizer menu when the person came to get the drink order. Kids that age only eat a few choices and they shouldn't have to wait until the food comes for that many people. I didn't care for Danielle screaming "give her water" - grab a sippy cup/glass and run to the other side of the table, yourself. And before they plan their next big trip , do some organizing and planning first, at home. All of the miscellaneous tote bags (as opposed to suitcases), pillows/toys, loose clothes, looks like they were traveling on the run, as opposed to a trip. I would think the hotel would have something the toddlers could sleep in to keep from transporting cribs. And I guess no one has any other friends who would come along to be like a nanny/helper, so everyone could get some rest/enjoyment and maybe the toddlers could stay close to their nap schedule.

Did anyone find it odd that we had to see a commercial clip  on how to curl hair for dinner from the Roloff daughter-in-law?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3

I wonder if there is an underlying hearing/ear/balance issue going on with little Hazel. In the penguin exhibit, when the 1st penguin starts "squawking" loudly/constantly , the rest of the quints had an issue - as if the noise and decibel level was too much. Hazel sat there very content. hmmm

• Love 1

That sunshine on the boat trip was really hard on Hazel.  She needs sunglasses outside and why didn't they have hats on those little kids?  I wonder if the other family members are wondering if this show is worth putting up with all this crap like fake vacations.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, BookElitist said:

Admittedly, I only know what is SHOWN, but the husband projects extreme disdain and disrespect to his mother-in-law, Mimi. 

2 minutes ago, BookElitist said:

Xxx

Edited by BookElitist
Wonky editing

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one that is tired of them complaining about no money and then throwing parties, going into a very risky business, buying a huge house, and so on. I understand they want the room, but if you can't afford it then you can't.

I hope the show doesn't hurt their marriage.

• Like 1
  • Love 4