Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

Yeah, knowledge and experience are the best qualities for a realtor, but personality and people skills seem to matter a lot in that business, too.

Although buying or selling a home is often the biggest business deal that a person will ever make in their life, not everybody is wise and skillful about choosing the best realtor, understanding the process or the best offers, etc.

Although real estate is competitive in one way, sometimes the realtors within the same agency are remarkably cooperative and then all benefit from the reputation of the agency.  So I'm sure Mimi gets lots of help from her co-workers.

I'll bet there are even some buyers and sellers who would choose her because she's a cast member on a TV show.

KellerWilliams is a reputable brokerage, and surely Mimi had to obtain a license before holding herself out as a real estate agent. Presumably, knowing a little something about the areas you're servicing is a prerequisite for the job and likely part of the coursework required to obtain a license. Why assume KW took Mimi on without that knowledge? Also, just how long is one required to live in a particular area before gaining sufficient knowledge to assist clients in buying or selling houses? Mimi has been visiting the Houston area for years -- how long have her daughters been living there? I would think at least 10 years, if not more. Plus, she herself has been living there for at least a couple of years, right?

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, sATL said:

according to Linked in , which yes, could be false, she has a teaching degree. (  link )  . In the early episodes she and the girls said she "taught" and enjoyed being around children. The RIF was something about her contract wasn't renewed... school closed... wasn't assigned for next school year... something like that..

I am a retired teacher, but I’m not familiar with the acronym, RIF. What does it mean?

Also, does anyone know if Danielle and her sisters see their dad, or if he’s alive? He is never mentioned. 

Edited by Sammich

This is random, but what do you all think of the Busby girls’ names? I don’t have an issue with the names in general, and I would consider using a few of them on my own children. Maybe I’m just picky, but it’s odd to me that the names are very different styles and don’t quite seem like they belong in the same sibling set. Some are traditionally feminine and some are traditionally masculine/unisex. Half of the girls’ names (Ava, Olivia, & Hazel) seem like they came from one parent while the other half (Blayke, Parker, & Riley) seem like they came from the other parent. If this is the case, which parent do you think came up with which names? 

• Love 4
(edited)
1 hour ago, Sammich said:

I am a retired teacher, but I’m not familiar with the acronym, RIF. What does it mean?

Also, does anyone know if Danielle and her sisters see their dad, or if he’s alive? He is never mentioned. 

Reduction In Force. (RIF). basically let go from your job for reasons that usually have nothing  to do with performance, but sometimes to help the bottom line.  And yes, sometimes it happens to those who have been there the longest.

I am not in the education profession, so I didn't know educators got laid off until Mimi. Corporate america with 25 years in - yeah  - it happens, sad to say, everyday. To very good hard working people. but usually they do find jobs elsewhere, eventually. I know people who left corporate to find a position in education b/c it is deemed "safe".

RE: dad - no luck with my googling, yet. IMO (in my opinion) he must be out of the picture b/c of bad blood b/w he and Mimi. Again, I'm coming from countless reality shows where the mom-grandmom is still mad over a broken relationship where the incident happened decades ago.

If he passed and they were on good terms (ie 'till death do us part) ,I would think somebody would have said.. "ah.. I wish dad was here to see the quints.." .. " or our dad such and such...".. or her wedding picture/past memories would have been found in the hurricane aftermath..

If he is still alive but didn't want any part of the show, maybe they swore to never mention his name/existence as he really wanted no part of it. Odd , but I guess it is possible.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 3
53 minutes ago, Dhkddjbcf said:

This is random, but what do you all think of the Busby girls’ names? I don’t have an issue with the names in general, and I would consider using a few of them on my own children. Maybe I’m just picky, but it’s odd to me that the names are very different styles and don’t quite seem like they belong in the same sibling set. Some are traditionally feminine and some are traditionally masculine/unisex. Half of the girls’ names (Ava, Olivia, & Hazel) seem like they came from one parent while the other half (Blayke, Parker, & Riley) seem like they came from the other parent. If this is the case, which parent do you think came up with which names? 

A few pages back to the 1st season, someone sleuthed that the names , spell OPRAH.

Olivia, Parker, Riley, Ava, Hazel.

There's no way that the Busbys chose their kids names as an honorary for Oprah !! LOL that's just a coincidence.

I also doubt that they split "you pick three, I'll pick three" because neither D nor A would be willing to put up forever with a kid name they didn't like just because the spouse wanted that name.  If one suggested "Parker" and the other one hated the name, then they would've dropped it.

However, I can picture a more cooperative scenario where they each searched baby name books and made suggestions, settling on the names that both of them liked. 

• Love 1

Don't all of us want to continue watching the show to see what will happen to Mimi? 

No. If I wanted a show about depressing midlife crises, real or fictional, I'd watch one. This one is supposed to be about cute toddlers.

There's a reason that there is no reality show called "I Don't Know What To Do With My Life In Middle Age."

Is it common for toddlers to remove their own diapers and play in poop? 

I've heard more than one friend complain about this kind of toddler crisis.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Dhkddjbcf said:

It honestly drives me crazy! I don't know how one family has a Blayke and a Hazel. Honestly, both parents seem more like Blayke and Riley types than Hazel and Ava types so it's tough to guess. I'd almost lean towards Adam for the classics and Danielle for the others if I had to guess. I'd love to know where all the names came from.

Does anyone know the nieces' and nephews' names? They're not said often and the kids are usually in the background. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 2:10 PM, Angelica2121 said:
3 hours ago, IvySpice said:

No. If I wanted a show about depressing midlife crises, real or fictional, I'd watch one. This one is supposed to be about cute toddlers.

There's a reason that there is no reality show called "I Don't Know What To Do With My Life In Middle Age."

I've heard more than one friend complain about this kind of toddler crisis.

Don't all of us want to continue watching the show to see what will happen to Mimi?  That is the planned result of scripting the show to intrigue the audience.

Some of you say, or just think to yourself, "I just want to watch the cute babies", but week after week of watching the quints paint, break eggs for breakfast, or throw water balloons would not sustain a viewing audience.

Actually.. I am waiting to see what is there to see/know after this season and the tots get older. I'm kinda surprised there hasn't been another set of quints/sextuplets, regardless of sex combinations, born to bump the Busby's spot. Only so much you can show new with holidays - Easter, Halloween, Thanksgiving.. their birthdays, etc.

Watching Danielle/Adam stress over each up-coming parental decision as the kids grow like they did  with the beds, splitting tots in school, potty training, how to hold birthday parties for six kids......... nah.. not too interesting. I can see these two having a major discussion on how much the tooth fairy is going to pay out..

Will Mimi be the next "Millionaire House Listing/Realator in League City/Houston" ? Will the cycle studio open another location? that might hold my attention for a minute...

I don't remember why the Jones were cancelled from TLC after 3 seasons. Their tots were pushing 3 I think, when the cancellation happened. But looking back, it was a good decision, as it did give the kids their privacy. They kept up with their blog/FB , which is nice to see how their quints have grown and their interests. They have been rerunning early in the morning since this season of Outdaughtered premiered. Seems like their focus on that show was a little different than the Busbys, same but different.

I don't follow Kate + 8 closely - have they been on since the "6" were born - from hospital/birth to now? The two oldest twins are what like 16/17 ? 

Edited by sATL

I know there was a trend there for a while to give kids old-fashioned names, and I think Olivia and Ava are lovely names, but I will never get the appeal of Hazel. I think it sucks that Hazel, the most challenged, got the ugly name.

• Like 1
  • Love 7

I just looked this up, I don't have THAT much reality TV in my head !!

Kate + 8 (counting when it was Jon and Kate +8) started in 2007 when the little kids were 2 yrs old.  It was preceded by two one-hour specials when the kids were infants, and when the were one year old.  The little kids are now 13 years old, the twin are 16 years old.

I never watched 18 Kids and Counting, but wasn't that on for a long time?  Now they have "Counting On".  I don't watch those shows, do they film anything interesting to cause so many people to continue to watch?

It seems that audiences do latch on to families and individuals that they enjoy, and the family cast members could spend the hour sitting on a sofa doing crossword puzzles and people would still watch them!! LOL Some of those shows can go on for quite a long time.  So the longevity of Outdaughtered is totally unknown at this point.

P.S. I loved your prediction that Mimi will star in "Million Dollar Listing Houston" !!!!

• Love 2
(edited)

Ha Ha I just looked up "tee-tee" recently, too.

It's absolutely a regional southern thing.  Seems especially prevalent in the area where the Busbys live: southeast Texas and neighboring Louisiana.  Adults answering the question reported that family members from some other southern states have used it.

I found the Google references not related to "OutDaughtered" but questions from people who had just moved to the south and were either directly told or figured out that "tee-tee" is acceptable polite Southern etiquette, whereas "pee" or "pee-pee" is vulgar, enough to even get your mouth washed out with soap !!

I know, I know, it doesn't make sense that "tee" equals polite and "pee" is like a swear word.  But, there you have it !!

Again, it's a very regional thing, not a widely accepted Southern custom.  That's why most of us never heard it before.

Edited by Angelica2121
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, Squirrely said:

It honestly drives me crazy! I don't know how one family has a Blayke and a Hazel. Honestly, both parents seem more like Blayke and Riley types than Hazel and Ava types so it's tough to guess. I'd almost lean towards Adam for the classics and Danielle for the others if I had to guess. I'd love to know where all the names came from.

Does anyone know the nieces' and nephews' names? They're not said often and the kids are usually in the background. 

But classic names are kind of trendy right now. As are the more unisex names with y's in weird places. So I don't find it that odd that they picked both. 

1 hour ago, Angelica2121 said:

Ha Ha I just looked up "tee-tee" recently, too.

It's absolutely a regional southern thing.  Seems especially prevalent in the area where the Busbys live: southeast Texas and neighboring Louisiana.  Adults answering the question reported that family members from some other southern states have used it.

I found the Google references not related to "OutDaughtered" but questions from people who had just moved to the south and were either directly told or figured out that "tee-tee" is acceptable polite Southern etiquette, whereas "pee" or "pee-pee" is vulgar, enough to even get your mouth washed out with soap !!

I know, I know, it doesn't make sense that "tee" equals polite and "pee" is like a swear word.  But, there you have it !!

Again, it's a very regional thing, not a widely accepted Southern custom.  That's why most of us never heard it before.

I think when it comes to " # 2 "  is where you get into words/phrases that are better left unsaid... I'm kinda glad that's all Dale said... with him you never know what will come out of his mouth next..

• Love 2

How old is Blayke? 7-7.5? Surely the gymnastics thing isn't the first thing that child has done at her age? By now, she should have been in soccer, baseball, dance, music lessons..swimming lessons? All sorts of things. Doesn't the one sister live right on the same street, and have a child about the same age? Surely they could give Blayke a ride to various activities? Maybe I misunderstood?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I know there was a trend there for a while to give kids old-fashioned names, and I think Olivia and Ava are lovely names, but I will never get the appeal of Hazel. I think it sucks that Hazel, the most challenged, got the ugly name.

I work in a school and there are so many Olivias and Avas.

I agree with you about Hazel, althought I know someone that just had a baby and named her Hazel.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, winsomeone said:

How old is Blayke? 7-7.5? Surely the gymnastics thing isn't the first thing that child has done at her age? By now, she should have been in soccer, baseball, dance, music lessons..swimming lessons? All sorts of things. Doesn't the one sister live right on the same street, and have a child about the same age? Surely they could give Blayke a ride to various activities? Maybe I misunderstood?

Yeah, Blayke is 7 years old.  They've never said what other activities, if any, Blayke has done before.  She did the same pre-school as the quints, which is a plus.

I'm thinking maybe nothing else because ... Blayke was 4 years old when the quints were born.  Many of the activities you mentioned would just begin at age 4, and some not until later than that.  That family was understandably busy adapting to the quints.  Failing to put Blayke in activities is certainly not irresponsible parenting.

Also, it's possible that the pre-quint or before-age-7 Blayke was too shy to want those group activities, or just not interested, so D & A didn't force her.

My older son loved EVERY activity we exposed him to, but my younger son HATED everything and cried inconsolably.  We never forced the younger guy.  Both kids today are adults and both stable, well-adjusted, social, exemplary adults. 

Plus, even though OutDaughtered framed the gymnastics story line as though that will be a weekly Mom-Dad-Blayke activity, I doubt that it will be, they'll probably end up drop off and pick up, or ride-share, or all the things that other normal families do.

I'll bet Blayke has had tons of sleepovers at Ashley's and Crystal's, just as she would've even if she had no brothers or sisters at all.  I'll bet they've taken Blayke on lots of events without the quints.  Again, that info is just not shown on screen because it's not that interesting.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Angelica2121 said:

Kate + 8 (counting when it was Jon and Kate +8) started in 2007 when the little kids were 2 yrs old.  It was preceded by two one-hour specials when the kids were infants, and when the were one year old.  The little kids are now 13 years old, the twin are 16 years old.

I never watched 18 Kids and Counting, but wasn't that on for a long time?  Now they have "Counting On".  I don't watch those shows, do they film anything interesting to cause so many people to continue to watch?

The "little" Gosselins were 14 in May. The twins will be 18 in October. This is a bad example of putting children on reality shows.  One of the 6, Hannah, is living with her father, and another, Colin, seems to be at a special care facility for those with mental health problems. There were pictures of Jon, Hannah, and Colin recently so maybe he will live with Jon. I'd be surprised if Kate plus 8 continued, but she might have a dating show. 

Also, it's 19 Kids and Counting with the Duggars. To me, they're boring. A similar family on UPTV called the Bates actually has a sense of humor. The Duggars are just coasting by on weddings and childbirths. But so are the Bates.

Kate plus 8 and Quints by Surprise are in reruns early in the mornings. There was a recent show with multiples with an older son, and the father was in medical school. They seemed nice but boring. 

I enjoy the humor and family closeness on Outdaughtered, but I hate potty training related scenes on any show. The children may be embarrassed by that when they get older.  I do follow Uncle Dale on twitter because he's a hoot. He kind of reminds me of my father when my cousins were younger with the crazy uncle thing. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:05 PM, Dhkddjbcf said:

This is random, but what do you all think of the Busby girls’ names? 

I can't stand the way they spell the oldest girl's name. The way they have it spelled it should be pronounce "Blay-kee," not "Blake."

Edited by eel2178
  • Love 4

The two oldest Gosselins are 17 - I remember because they are a couple months older than my older DS - and should be going into their senior year of high school. I’d be interested in what they’re doing now, partly because the one (I don’t remember their names) that was not quiet was always acting out and angry. I wonder if Blayke will go in that direction at some point. It’s got to be hard to be your parents’ “princess” and then be overtaken by five little sisters.

1 hour ago, Eureka said:

The two oldest Gosselins are 17 - I remember because they are a couple months older than my older DS - and should be going into their senior year of high school. I’d be interested in what they’re doing now, partly because the one (I don’t remember their names) that was not quiet was always acting out and angry. I wonder if Blayke will go in that direction at some point. It’s got to be hard to be your parents’ “princess” and then be overtaken by five little sisters.

Mady and Cara. They should be seniors at the same private school they've always gone to. They were spotted with Kate at some small, religious college in NC. But I don't see much of them. I think maybe Kate posted a picture of Mady in the last year. They probably have social media, but I don't know for sure. Hannah's on social media. What will be interesting is when they turn 18 they'll be signing their own reality show contract(if there's a show and if they want to be on it) and getting the money. 

About the name Hazel, I have an aunt named that who is 93. It's a quaint, old-fashioned name to me.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, ghoulina said:

But classic names are kind of trendy right now. As are the more unisex names with y's in weird places. So I don't find it that odd that they picked both. 

I agree that the common thread running through all 6 names is that they are most definitely trendy.  Some of the names are "old-fashioned," some are "unisex," but they ALL are trendy.  So, to me, they seem rather cohesive.  Having said that, I am NOT a fan of trendy names, so I most likely would not have chosen any of the names myself.  However, I do think they're cute names, and being from the South, hearing them regularly calling the girls by both their first and middle names is familiar to me in a way that reminds me of home.  Finally, and maybe I'm in the minority on this one, but I  actually find the nicknames adorable (and in general, not a huge fan of nicknames).  Also, don't consider that to be baby talk; terms of endearment, basically.  Lulu is probably my favorite of the nicknames....something about that one is just too too sweet to me.

• Love 4

The only name I don't like is Hazel. Ugly name. Reminds me of an old, fat, gray haired lady. 

I was watc;hing an episode this morning and I've noticed that Danielle says "expecially" a lot. Someone needs to tell her it's "eSpecially". 

• Love 2
15 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

.  I do follow Uncle Dale on twitter because he's a hoot. He kind of reminds me of my father when my cousins were younger with the crazy uncle thing. 

Thank you!!   I am now following Dale on both twitter and Instagram.

• Love 3

Hazel is actually my favorite of the names, but I'm weird. It makes me think of hazel eyes. I think it's pretty. 

I'm not a huge fan of the push to get kids into tons of activities at such a young age. Some children don't show an interest in anything at 4, 5, 6. I think it's fine if gymnastics is the first thing Blayke has done. 

• Love 10
(edited)

I'm looking at Blayke and gymnastics ( and/or anything else in my prior laundry list post) as two separate concerns:

1) She wants to spend more quality time with her mom and dad w/o the tots. Understandably so. But that "time" should be time where her and her parent(s) are engaged in the situation  together. Examples: There was a snippet of Adam and her eating ice cream. He took her fishing.  Both occasions they were engaged in each other - like the tea with Mimi. There are plenty of free/low costs events/places all over town where they can spend time with each other. A couple of everyday places that came to my mind was Home Depot/Lowes has build a project on certain Saturdays. Michel's  Crafts/Hobby Lobby/JoAnn (?) has an event to "make something".  When my offspring was little - there was a free pamphlet/magazine that highlight what to do with the kids for the upcoming month.  At the gymnastics place  - Blayke was off with the trainers and Danielle & Adam started talking about the quints. D & A are going to have to come to the realization that have a 7 yr and the quints - they tend to keep thinking of them as a 6-kid package.

2) Gymnastics - Yes she has an interest and seemed happy.  It is also good for her to spend a little "fun" time with kids her own age . Probably the only time she comes close, outside of school, is with her cousins. She is probably hearing classmates - "I do/go to "xxx" afterschool or on weekends" .  And Yes, I would think the sisters can help out with the driving to the place. My guess is the sister's kids don't have an interest in gymnastics - which might mean a little give and take on the Busby part - ie expose Blayke to something where a responsible adult can assist with driving.  Yes, pursue anything for as long as she wants to but that doesn't take the place of the emotional need that should happen with a one-on-one-parent-child time. And who knows - maybe Adam would decide to be a parent volunteer-coach , which will get his mind off his own problems. . Is the cycle studio (bikes)  only for adults ?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

The only name I don't like is Hazel. Ugly name. Reminds me of an old, fat, gray haired lady. 

I'm also old (almost 80) and fat...but my hair is white.  My name is very current and I'm told it's beautiful.   Try associating "Hazel," with the cute little quint who has some challenges ahead of her and needs all the kindness she can get.

• Like 1
  • Love 17
21 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I'm also old (almost 80) and fat...but my hair is white.  My name is very current and I'm told it's beautiful.   Try associating "Hazel," with the cute little quint who has some challenges ahead of her and needs all the kindness she can get.

3 hours ago, seahag50 said:

Im an old fat gray haired old lady and my name is Gail....I have a second great grand daughter coming in Oct her name Is Hazel..the first is Luna

Sorry, it's just my opinion - to my ears, it's not a good name at all. And I can't help that that is what I visualize when I hear the name. Sorry if my opinion offends you. 

• Love 4

In the 80s I had a girl in my high school class named Bertha.   She always used her middle name Marie.    She was always so embarrassed.    Apparently she was named after a family member.    

• Love 2
On 7/27/2018 at 7:31 AM, tobeannounced said:

So funny I’ve thought that a ton since I started this show but was thinking it deeply a few hours ago before reading this. I will never get that name. I’ve seen it a few times with babies and I can’t even pretend to like it. It reminds me of that red headed cleaning lady of the 70’s. Which is funny since Hazel is red. 

• Love 3
(edited)

It is funny how names will bring an image to our minds. Hope I don't offend anyone with this, but several years ago, we were trying to come up with our first cocker spaniel. Cocker puppies have big, saggy jowls with very serious looks on their faces. As she was walking away from me one time, she turned around to look at me and I said "you look like a little old lady named Gertrude". The name stuck. I told this story to my husband's Aunt Trudy, never even thinking that her real name was Gertrude!

When I hear 'Hazel', I can't help it, I think of the Shirley Booth TV show called 'Hazel', she was a maid. I still watch it.

I have always wondered why they named their baby 'Hazel', I didn't know if it was a family name. My cousin named her baby 'Evelyn' 4 years ago, but that was my aunts name.  

It bugs the ever loving heck out of me when Danielle says 'expecially', one of my pet peeves. 

Edited by alegtostandon
To remove all of these commas my keyboard likes to add on its own.
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

When I hear 'Hazel', I can't help it, I think of the Shirley Booth TV show called 'Hazel', she was a maid. I still watch it.

I don't think anyone would have a negative feeling about that Hazel.  She always saved the day.    If a baby or a little girl was given that name, I hope she doesn't ever have to read what a BAD name it is until she's old enough to laugh about it.

• Love 2

Last year we lived through Adam's depression. It looks like this year it will be Mimi's the whole season. I have a feeling that next year, it will be poor little Blayke that is depressed. The child doesn't look happy most of the time, and who can blame her..her world was turned upside down and not for the better. I do hope Texas is a state that requires parents to put some of the earnings of working children into an account for when they grow up?

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Former Nun said:

I don't think anyone would have a negative feeling about that Hazel.  She always saved the day.    If a baby or a little girl was given that name, I hope she doesn't ever have to read what a BAD name it is until she's old enough to laugh about it. 

I hope she'd grow up to realize everyone has opinions. Someone loves your name. Someone hates your name. It doesn't matter. Obviously there's a new generation of parents that think the name is lovely. Others think it's horrible, like a lot of names.

• Love 5

Ha Ha many of us hated our own names somewhere during the pre-teens !!

I predict that around age 11 sweet little Hazel will ask to be called Haylie !!

She'll write it on all her school notebooks and other possessions, complete with a little heart to dot the "i" !!

• Love 7

When I hear Hazel Grace I think of “The Fault in our Stars,” which is a teen book and was also a movie starring cute Shailene Woodley. I thought maybe that’s why they named her that. 

• Love 9
10 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I hope she'd grow up to realize everyone has opinions.

I agree...and I hope she doesn't have to hear negative opinions about her name while she's still a baby and a wee girl.  There's plenty-o-time for that stuff.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

I agree...and I hope she doesn't have to hear negative opinions about her name while she's still a baby and a wee girl.  There's plenty-o-time for that stuff.

The responsibility for that lies entirely with her parents.  They are the one putting her and her name out there for public consumption.  No one else has to censor themselves if they don't want to.  If someone wants to discuss their mild dislike of a name, or gush about how it's the greatest thing ever, then it is what it is.  

• Love 3
On 7/28/2018 at 10:55 AM, Mollysmom said:

I was watc;hing an episode this morning and I've noticed that Danielle says "expecially" a lot. Someone needs to tell her it's "eSpecially". 

TLC's had "Quints by Surprise" on in the early mornings the last few weeks and I'm struck by the "class" differences between the Joneses and the Busbys.  Not that I'm saying that Adam and Danielle are low class because I don't mean that, but there's a definite difference between the two families.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, winsomeone said:

Last year we lived through Adam's depression. It looks like this year it will be Mimi's the whole season. I have a feeling that next year, it will be poor little Blayke that is depressed. The child doesn't look happy most of the time, and who can blame her..her world was turned upside down and not for the better. I do hope Texas is a state that requires parents to put some of the earnings of working children into an account for when they grow up?

As far as I know, it's just NY and Calif. Pennsylvania does required something thanks to the Gosselin saga.

(edited)
45 minutes ago, readheaded said:

TLC's had "Quints by Surprise" on in the early mornings the last few weeks and I'm struck by the "class" differences between the Joneses and the Busbys.  Not that I'm saying that Adam and Danielle are low class because I don't mean that, but there's a definite difference between the two families.

Agree. Much similar.. but also much different. Maybe it is also an age difference. The Jones have more maturity in handling issues. 

One "travel" episodes - the Jones, who also live in TX somewhere, to visit the dad's grandparents, who were in an assisted living facility in Iowa. All kinds of traveling (air, car, & train)  with "6 kids". To see the tears of joy run down the great-granddad face to see his family... wow it was worth it. I'm trying to remember if they had extra adults to tag along. They also had a trip to see an college buddy -who had a friend serving in Afghanistan, who also had 6 kids (diff ages). They brough a care pkg for the soldier. The Busby "travel" to NYC and Galveston - all kinds of drama with full cast of family members.  In other words, the Jones trips, make a little more sense - in that there was compassion for others -  IE believable.

The Jones moved to a smaller house (but still nice) to reduce the mortgage payment. Busby - bigger house. 

Ethan  - the dad - threw his energy & newly MBA (yeah - he was in school during pregnancy  until the babies were about 1.5 yrs)  into his existing business, which had financial issues due to the housing crises. The Busby - are new 1/3 investors in a cycle studio .

RE: the oldest offspring - the Jones daughter has been taking soccer for years. Busby - still working on an activity for Blayke (I'm still a little doubtful that the gymnastics will continue).

RE: medical - the Jones son had to wear a device to shape is his head, until almost 2. Busby - Hazel's eyes.

Jones FB page with recent pix ( here ).  

.. reserving the option to add to list later....

Edited by sATL
(edited)
On 7/27/2018 at 7:42 PM, babyhouseman said:

Also, it's 19 Kids and Counting with the Duggars. To me, they're boring. A similar family on UPTV called the Bates actually has a sense of humor. The Duggars are just coasting by on weddings and childbirths. But so are the Bates.

Weddings and babies are what the Duggars are about.  They are definitely a "Quiverfull" family.  They are all about popping out as many kids as possible to be soldiers for Jesus.  It's a cultish subculture of evangelicalism, and it gets totally whitewashed on the Duggar derivatives, as does the fact that the original show was cancelled after it was revealed that a Duggar brother was duggaring his sisters.

Google "Vyckie Garrison", who left the Quiverfull movement and has some stories to tell about it.  It may make y'all rethink whether you want to watch the Duggars in any formulation.

Edited by brilliantbreakfast
  • Love 3
On 7/26/2018 at 2:01 PM, sATL said:

Shouldn't the realtor know the area that they are trying to sell/buy houses in ? All of the realtors I worked  with in the past were in the area for years and/or had experience elsewhere.. kinda part of interviewing who you want to list your house...

A real estate agent and a realtor are not the same thing.  A real estate agent can be someone who's just passed the test and works for a realtor's company.  If she is new to the business, she is probably doing things like being present for open houses and collecting contact information, showing properties to buyers (often a thankless task that realtors don't want to do), paperwork.  They start this way to get experience and to learn the areas they sell.  Often the agent will work with buyers (especially first timers, who realtors often don't want to deal with because first-time buyers watch too much HGTV), and the realtors get the sellers.  An agent's commission is usually shared with the realtor(s) for which they work.  My sister is an actual realtor with her own company; that's how I know the difference.  

• Love 5

Great explanation about realtors and real estate agents, thank you !!

So it makes sense that Mimi could study for and pass the test, then work her way up as far as her ambition and talent will allow, learning about Houston as she goes.

Overall, I like all of the adults and kids in the show's cast.  Their choices and decisions seem as typical and sound as the choices and decisions I see in real life families, including families who have either more challenges or less challenges than the Busbys.

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, brilliantbreakfast said:

A real estate agent and a realtor are not the same thing.  A real estate agent can be someone who's just passed the test and works for a realtor's company.  If she is new to the business, she is probably doing things like being present for open houses and collecting contact information, showing properties to buyers (often a thankless task that realtors don't want to do), paperwork.  They start this way to get experience and to learn the areas they sell.  Often the agent will work with buyers (especially first timers, who realtors often don't want to deal with because first-time buyers watch too much HGTV), and the realtors get the sellers.  An agent's commission is usually shared with the realtor(s) for which they work.  My sister is an actual realtor with her own company; that's how I know the difference.  

On 7/28/2018 at 9:36 PM, chabang said:

I was shocked when Mimi said she was 54. I thought she was much older....early 60's at least. 

thanks for the explanation on what Mimi could possibly be up to now. Do agents get salary (for the office/clerical duties) + commission (working with buyers) ? She is used to a salary - so if she's commission only....

I guess the visit to her childhood friend is where one of them or both came up with hew "new career choice" - after Mimi had a good cry/tantrum, a pint or two of Häagen-Dazs and something at least 80 proof, to toast & cheer to her future endeavor. Sometime it does take a longtime friend to tell you what you need to hear/do (ie - as little shove/kick in the ass), as opposed to your adult children.  There has to be something that the friend knows/understands that her children (and I ) don't . I truly truly don't. 

I think Mimi looks  her age - if not a little younger. She's in great shape (wasn't there a episode where she ran a 5k?), full of life (when she wants to be) and attractive. It just maybe her makeup looks a little dated - in application and color scheme. I like her hair too (it looks very healthy) - but I can see where the style and/or color might need a little modernization. A consultation to a reputable makeup/hair salon  will do the trick.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1