Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

I'm glad that the eye doctor thinks Hazel is doing OK, but I would still be concerned. Her eyes still seem to flutter quite a bit, and she still looks to the side.

The quints seemed to really enjoy the parade.  How about those bows!  Hard to wear a firefighter hat with a big Texas-style bow on your head!

Right. Adam mentioned that they know her eyes/vision will never be 100%. They just want to make sure it's getting better/stabilizing, instead of getting worse. If it got as bad as it was, she'd likely require another surgery. 

On 9/13/2017 at 9:36 AM, Eureka said:

I totally get what Danielle was saying and Adam was being a jerk about it. Sometimes, yeah, the money doesn't make it possible, but her self worth is worth it.

It's that time-worn man-woman thing.   So many men think women have it easier "merely" running a household and taking care of kids.  They should be ecstatic.  After all, their schedule is flexible, right?  Sometimes they go out for lunch with friends, right?  Some even get hair cuts or mani-pedis...while the poor husbands/fathers are out making a living with no personal time...and certainly none to even consider "self worth."  Now and then Adam gets it...but that's only when he's been left alone with the quints for any period of time.

• Love 2

She said that She worked 50-60 hours per week and even stayed with the babies when they went on their 10 day/night, kids free anniversary  trip to the Bahamas. 

That seems like an awfully long kid-free vacation for a couple who have 5 toddlers!

It was great to see the quints being hilarious and adorable again tonight, and we had less depression arc story line. Blayke seems like such a nice big sister and a great helper. Hopefully her sweet nature continues and she doesn't become resentful of the attention-getters one day. 

• Love 4
On 9/16/2017 at 2:26 AM, Former Nun said:

It's that time-worn man-woman thing.   So many men think women have it easier "merely" running a household and taking care of kids.  They should be ecstatic.  After all, their schedule is flexible, right?  Sometimes they go out for lunch with friends, right?  Some even get hair cuts or mani-pedis...while the poor husbands/fathers are out making a living with no personal time...and certainly none to even consider "self worth."  Now and then Adam gets it...but that's only when he's been left alone with the quints for any period of time.

I worked full time at night when my kids were tiny and freelanced from home part time around preschool and early elementary school when they were that age. It was hard. Some days, I couldn't wait for DH to get home so I could go to work and escape the crazy. And this was just two kids, two years apart. When DH would say on occasion that it wasn't all fun and games going to work every day, etc. I would tell him how envious I was that he could go to the bathroom in peace and go somewhere for lunch that didn't have a play place.

I imagine even with help, Danielle doesn't have much time to sit down without something to do with five still at home all day. Their school is probably only two hours or so in the morning. I want to put school in quotes but my keyboard is acting up. I don't blame her at all for wanting more in her life. I felt exactly the same way. For me, I had spent way too much time, money and effort on grad school to not use my education. I needed more intellectual stimulation.

• Love 4

I know this might sound bad but the segment where Danielle was talking about trying to get the girls to share and if one  had something that another one of them wanted, the one wanting the toy was going to basically smack the shit out of the other one to get the toy was SO funny to me.  Hazel is really not good at fighting at all.  Maybe it's her depth perception being off because of her eyesight, but she couldn't hit the broad side of a barn.  She tried to hit Olivia and missed her.  Then her and Riley got into it and every time she tried to get a lick in it was nothing but air.  Finally she got mad and got down on the floor to throw a little tantrum and Danielle ignored her ass.   I know if Adam had been there he would have been her knight in shining armor and would have punished the other quints but not her.  She always comes out smelling like roses so it's nice for once to see her not get her way.  There I said it, I'm team Lulu and Riley and Ava.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Eureka said:

I don't blame her at all for wanting more in her life. I felt exactly the same way. For me, I had spent way too much time, money and effort on grad school to not use my education. I needed more intellectual stimulation.

As more women climb the various ladders and begin to make more money than their husbands, the men might be staying at home to take care of the kids (childcare is expensive).  Also, more and more divorced dads are getting shared custody.  As more men walk in our shoes, things should be easier...in 20yrs or so.

• Love 1

DVR caught a 12-minute "Hurricane Harvey" episode.  Showed the quints playing outside before the hurricane arrived, and then watching the rain from inside the house. So cute.  This is what we like to see (the quints being cute, that is). Then the whole family went to help Mimi clean out her house, which was flooded. Too bad she couldn't have moved some of the stuff up off the floor to try to save it.  Slightly off topic, I'd love for the news on the major networks to do some follow-up stories on Hurricane Harvey, Irma, and Maria victims.  With all of the bad stuff happening, once the disaster is over in one area, we usually don't hear about it again.

• Love 1

I don't understand at all why Mimi lost so many things.  It looked like she had about a foot of water in her house and she had so many bags and boxes of things on the floor that were ruined.  All she had to do was pile them on her bed.  She had suffered loss in another hurricane when she lived in Louisiana, and she certainly knew the hurricane was coming, so why not put as much on high shelves and surfaces as possible?

• Love 4

I'm willing to cut her a little slack.  I don't think she's been in the house all that long - maybe six months at best.  I remember in the last season they were moving her in to the house and it was somewhere around Easter time.  Second, she had a lot of stuff that she brought with her after the Lake Charles house was flooded out last year.  I suspect there's a bit of psychological damage to try and save personal belongings after having lost some in the first flood.

Lastly, I don't think ANYone expected that Harvey was going to manifest the way it did.  Hurricanes as a rule tend to be over within 24 hours in a location - this thing hung around for three or four days.  I have a colleague that lives in Houston and they seriously didn't expect it was going to be like this.  Places flooded that didn't typically flood, but after three or four feet or rain in as many days all the standard rules just didn't apply here.  No one anticipated the severity.

• Love 3
On 28/12/2016 at 4:50 PM, SongbirdHollow said:

I got a Roku for Christmas so I'm no longer forced to watch broadcast crap like this, so I missed it. Did they really go through with the second mortgage and invest in that business??????

Yes they took a second mortgage and bought the cycle studio and it is doing really well.

On 4/13/2018 at 10:21 PM, babyhouseman said:

They announced on the facebook page they'll be back in the fall. No set date.

I believe they’ll be back before the fall. They’ve been taping since Fall 2017. I’m guessing they’ll be back for the summer. 

It was sort of a preview episode.  The quints are 2 1/2 and they went to the zoo.  Then there was talk of Hurricane Sandy coming.  I think that is where the new season will start up, and there will be a lot about Mimi's new house being ruined.

On 7/1/2018 at 9:37 AM, winsomeone said:

The quints remind me of the Gosselin tups when they were small..feral. All were/are babies that are raised by staff with no vested interest in them instead of parents.

Sorry, I don't quite get that vibe. They're just acting like 2-1/2 year olds.  And their parents are very interactive with them. 

• Love 15
(edited)

they are airing a marathon in prep for the new season...

1) what's up with Mimi now? The last I remember is her trying to bounce back from the Hurricane, as most of her home was flooded. Did she find a teaching job that she can commit to? Finding a job is rough, emotionally time consuming, and takes work, in any field, but her search - in all of the educational settings in Houston...wow

2) Has Danielle graduated from saying "five babies" to "five toddlers" ?? The woman says "five babies" so much it is annoying.

3) Adam Depression - Therapy/Counseling helping ?

4) Preview Commercial show that there will be moments/eposides when they are potty training. Eat dinner before you watch as this crew can be a little graphic in that department.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1
(edited)
On 7/2/2018 at 4:18 PM, Koalagirl said:

Sorry, I don't quite get that vibe. They're just acting like 2-1/2 year olds.  And their parents are very interactive with them. 

These parents are just as interactive as the Gosslings were. Exact! Seem so self absorbed that I cannot even watch. 

Just watched the dentist episode. She brought two friends to help and there she is sitting with one baby while friends each have 2. She sits in chair with one and says she can hear all the others screaming and she remarks that she can't be holding each one. Um...yes she can. Do one at a time instead of all 5 at once (take 3 kids to dentist one day and 3 another. My son was 2 when I had twin girls and I took 3 to dentist and sat with each one). And they were a tad too young for the dentist anyway. 

Edited by Lamima
  • Love 3
(edited)
6 hours ago, Lamima said:

These parents are just as interactive as the Gosslings were. Exact! Seem so self absorbed that I cannot even watch. 

Just watched the dentist episode. She brought two friends to help and there she is sitting with one baby while friends each have 2. She sits in chair with one and says she can hear all the others screaming and she remarks that she can't be holding each one. Um...yes she can. do one at a time instead of all 5 at once (take 3 kids to dentist one day and 3 another. My son was 2 when i had twin girls and I took 3 to dentist and sat with each one). And they were a tad too young anyway. 

I didn't see the dentist episode but it's obvious that at least when they do things on camera, they tend to do things with all five children that logically would be easier done in two separate trips.  This is the price the parents pay for the money and celebrity they get from the TV show.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

The show that came on last night was 3 hours long! I ended up fast forwarding through quite a bit of it as it was from previously aired seasons. The birthday party they were referring to was when the quints turned 2 and the older daughter (can't remember her name) was 6. They're 3 and 7 now as of this past April so this is really a long time ago. Hurricane Harvey happened late last August. I can't believe it's taken this long to air. Not sure I'm going to have the patience to tune in and watch 5 toddlers in potty training so hopefully we'll see some more interesting stories. 

(edited)

I would imagine they are relying on the show for a big chunk of their income.  I don't have a huge problem with it, since, it's unlikely a couple with only one parent working could afford that many children the same age, unless he was a surgeon  or something.  I guess I still have this thing about a couple having a pregnancy when the chances are that you can have 5 babies and imo, it's not fair to the kids to have that many at once. The parents, especially with one working cannot handle that many, so, it falls on others to chip in.  It just bothers me.  Not the kids faults, but, the doctors do explain that you could have 5 babies, right?  I think it's unfair to their older child, the quints and their family.  And then, to make entertainment out of it.....IDK.....

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 7
34 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I would imagine they are relying on the show for a big chunk of their income.  I don't have a huge problem with it, since, it's unlikely a couple with only one parent working could afford that many children the same age, unless he was a surgeon  or something.  I guess I still have this thing about a couple having a pregnancy when the chances are that you can have 5 babies and imo, it's not fair to the kids to have that many at once. The parents, especially with one working cannot handle that many, so, it falls on others to chip in.  It just bothers me.  Not the kids faults, but, the doctors do explain that you could have 5 babies, right?  I think it's unfair to their older child, the quints and their family.  And then, to make entertainment out of it.....IDK.....

I believe Adam has quit his job and ALL their income now comes from what the show pays, plus all the endorsements they have (check out Danielle's Instagram), and their shared ownership in the spin studio franchise. 

Well, I won't comment on the employment thing, if he's not employed.  I suppose you have to consider how much income you get, and if your efforts and time are better utilized with the children, since, I would imagine childcare costs for that many would be very high.  And, can mom do it alone? I only saw a little bit about the spin studio, but, hope it's doing well.  A new business venture is always risky.  Interesting choice. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Well, I won't comment on the employment thing, if he's not employed.  I suppose you have to consider how much income you get, and if your efforts and time are better utilized with the children, since, I would imagine childcare costs for that many would be very high.  And, can mom do it alone? I only saw a little bit about the spin studio, but, hope it's doing well.  A new business venture is always risky.  Interesting choice. 

They're likely brining in more money from the TLC show and all their endorsements, plus income from the spin franchise, than they were from their previous jobs.

15 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

They're likely brining in more money from the TLC show and all their endorsements, plus income from the spin franchise, than they were from their previous jobs.

I suppose that kind of thing works for many of the TLC families.  It is a sacrifice though, and doesn't come without a price. 

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I suppose that kind of thing works for many of the TLC families.  It is a sacrifice though, and doesn't come without a price. 

I wouldn't call it a sacrifice. It's a choice to make more money in exchange for fame, celebrity and loss of privacy. 

• Love 5

I haven't watched all of the 3-hour episode, but I love the footage of the babies. What miracles and how fast they grew!  What are those fancy formula machines? Sort of like a Keurig for baby formula?

I'll still tune in for the new season, but after that, I'll have to move on a new family with multiples. Once the kids get older, I'm not as interested.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 7/5/2018 at 4:01 PM, MoreCoffeePlease said:

I haven't watched all of the 3-hour episode, but I love the footage of the babies. What miracles and how fast they grew!  What are those fancy formula machines? Sort of like a Keurig for baby formula?

I'll still tune in for the new season, but after that, I'll have to move on a new family with multiples. Once the kids get older, I'm not as interested.

Yeah - once the kids get potty trained , and more so entering pre-kindergarten, we really aren't seeing anything except family vacation, meal times, birthdays and holidays. Side note: I think Blayke should have her own birthday party.

Not sure if the extended family (sisters/BIL/Mimi) would be worth watching, as they too will lose their entertainment value, as the kids get older.

I also feel the parents need to be considerate of Blayke may not want her life on TV when she is a pre-teen.

I think that is what I like about the Jones - Quints by Surprise. Film a couple of seasons, and let facebook, youtube, and a blog keep us updated.  Air a marathon every now and then to keep them in our memory. They later did a TLC special - when the 5 turn 5, which was good. The Jones parents are pretty good about posting pictures and little tidbits about what the kids are up to now.

To be honest babies are born every day. It is just a matter of time before another set of quints, regardless of gender combinations, steal their spot,.

Edited by sATL
(edited)

Funny that I don't hear the same venom pointed toward the Busby's that the Gosselin's got.  The computer commando "child advocates," especially. I think the fact that the Busby's are much more likable than Kate, is the actual reason. It was more of a Kate Hate, than sticking up for those "poor kids." The current commercial with the shot of the poopy butt of a quint, reminded me of those same "advocates," crying about the "dignity" of the 'tup with the televised diaper blowout (Alexis, I think). 

I do feel sorry for Blayke (really, with the spelling, Danielle?) not only having her life taken over by five little sisters at once, but the fact that her birthday is three days before their's. It will always be "her birthday," followed by a huge birthday for five. 

My favorite is whichever quint is telling one of her sisters, "NO MA'AM!" when they're doing something that she doesn't like. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 8
19 minutes ago, Honey said:

Wow all those kids do is whine and cry constantly, especially that Hazel. I don't think I can watch this show anymore, they are so annoying.

I think the biggest criers and screamers are the twins.  But Hazel isn't far behind.  Danielle doesn't seem to put either of the twins down either.  Ever.  It's no wonder that they laugh in both Danielle and Adam's faces and tell them no when Adam and Danielle attempt to discipline them.

There's obviously NO kind of discipline plan in that household other than to laugh and giggle about how cute they are.  That's why all they do is scream and cry.  

• Love 3

My  man Dale.. always the voice of reason and straight to the point.

When asked was his family was going to dress up - he said "no. there is so much going on we are are going to sit it out this year. " He was referring /implying storm damage/recovery/rebuilding efforts. His kids were dressing though.  Actually, it was kinda sexy for him to say "no" - manly like  :)

I understand the need for cheering up and doing something fun - but there has to be a limit. If Danielle herself is busy, why not just to go walmart/target/family $, grab something and call it a day. Some neighbors might not have also been up for doorbell ringing, when they just got back on their feet themselves.

Going to a fancy costume store, for 2 yr olds, when your mom is waiting on a ins claim (which kinda implies there is a money issue on the rebuild), seems a little extravagant -esp. given when you just bought twin beds. The pumpkin farm created a great memory.

• Love 6
15 minutes ago, sATL said:

I agree with both of you. In my case, I had an internal time-clock. Some whining/crying is good - as it exercises the lungs, tires them out, and they can hear their own voice. But when my clock went off (which was greatly effected by what all else happened during the day), the whining, screaming, crying had to come to and end. I don't like driving when screaming and crying is going on.  Just saying things like " lets try to use our indoor voice" , or is "is there something I can do to make you feel better but this behavior must stop", or " the answer is no. lets have no more discussion"., "hush", can go a long way. 

Let me be clear - I hate whining...maybe because i was a whiner as a kid.  But I agree, as a parent, I try to nip it in the bud.  I guess for me, in this, case, as long as they aren’t my kids, the whining doesn’t bother me ??

• Love 1

I had four boys, and none threw their food on the floor like these five constantly do. Also, none had pacifiers at that age either.  Danielle now has completely taken control of Adam's balls. Everything in their life is her decision, and hers alone. She even drives the van instead of him. She is getting more and more Kate Gosselin by the year..loves that camera, and is front and center in almost every scene. Kate wanted more children, and then Jon took care of them..isn't Danielle the one who wanted more? Now Adam is stuck at home with them...and she is the career woman. Also, thy were laughing about the one girl who always starts and wins the fights..poor Collin Gosselin was the same way, and he ended up highly medicated and then sent off to an institution for over two years now. So really, nothing to laugh about. Lastly, they said Hazel lives in her own little world, her own bubble. If so, why in the world isn't that child having some sort of therapy to try and help her? Now is the time for help, not when she reaches school age.

• Love 5

I'm just trying to understand something. I have great compassion and sympathy for people who lost their homes due to storms.  But, why, especially, if you have been flooded out before, would you leave your house, due to expected floods and not either take your precious photos with you or put them high on a shelf inside the house and not on the floor or close to it? 

• Love 6
(edited)

I enjoy this show.  The 'tups are cute and Uncle Dale is hilarious. 

Sure the kids are loud and whiney.   It’s the terrible twos times five.   Should they discipline their kids more?  Maybe, but I don’t have ‘tups plus a five(?) year old or however old Blayke(sp?) is, so that is on them.   I just enjoy the show for my summer fluff.

I like the moment where Mimi took Blayke(sp?) out for tea and talked to her about her feelings.  That seemed like a real, authentic moment to me.

As for comparisons to Kate what-her-face, I get it.  But I think Danielle and Adam seem to care more about each other than Jon and Kate ever did.  Plus they have way more interaction with their kids than Kate or Jon every seemed to.    And the fact that he works and they have the cycling studio, shows that they are not dependent on this show for all of their income.   Does Danielle like the camera more this year?   Is the entire family enjoying their “celebrity” (as it is) status?  Maybe.  But I think a lot of people in their shoes would.  Doesn’t bother me.  No one in this family comes close to Kate’s “entitlement” attitude that the world owes her because she had so many kids.  I think the Busbys are just enjoying the ride.  And if that is the case, good for them.

Edited by penbrat
  • Love 17
1 hour ago, penbrat said:

I enjoy this show.  The 'tups are cute and Uncle Dale is hilarious. 

Sure the kids are loud and whiney.   It’s the terrible twos times five.   Should they discipline their kids more?  Maybe, but I don’t have ‘tups plus a five(?) year old or however old Blayke(sp?) is, so that is on them.   I just enjoy the show for my summer fluff.

I like the moment where Mimi took Blayke(sp?) out for tea and talked to her about her feelings.  That seemed like a real, authentic moment to me.

As for comparisons to Kate what-her-face, I get it.  But I think Danielle and Adam seem to care more about each other than Jon and Kate ever did.  Plus they have way more interaction with their kids than Kate or Jon every seemed to.    And the fact that he works and they have the cycling studio, shows that they are not dependent on this show for all of their income.   Does Danielle like the camera more this year?   Is the entire family enjoying their “celebrity” (as it is) status?  Maybe.  But I think a lot of people in their shoes would.  Doesn’t bother me.  No one in this family comes close to Kate’s “entitlement” attitude that the world owes her because she had so many kids.  I think the Busbys are just enjoying the ride.  And if that is the case, good for them.

As far as I'm concerned, other than the fact there are quints in both families, there is no comparison.  Kate was estranged from her parents and siblings and I have no idea how involved Jon's family was.  At least Danielle and Adam have loving, involved family and that will enrich their children's lives tenfold. 

• Like 1
  • Love 12