Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Yea, I am hesitant to judge other moms, period, but moms of multiples? As long as they're all alive at the end of the day, I give you mad props. I'd surely have jumped off a bridge by now. 

Easier said than done for sure, but it would be good for those little girls to get one on one time with a parent.  I'm sure Danielle greatly appreciates the time they are at school but if she kept one home from school to hang with her it would be good for the kids.  With just one she could take them shopping, out to lunch, and give them a chance to act independently of their sibs.

But as you say, just surviving day by day is an accomplishment with 5 toddlers!

• Love 1

WHOA. That is some truly awful hair on the left there.

I've seen Adam and Danielle's dynamic play out in my own family. As the stay-at-home parent, Danielle ends up being the "mean" disciplinarian while Daddy is walking through the door with cookies and magic carpet rides. Meanwhile Adam feels enormous pressure to financially support the family and still have time for them. It can be a toxic dynamic, so I hope they are addressing it. 

• Love 5

Looking at the before and after pic makes me wonder if he has thyroid issues. His eyes are much more "buggy" now than before and that can be a symptom.

Unfortunately, the dynamic with the stay at home parent and work outside the house parent is all too common. When my kids were much younger, I freelanced part time from home and worked around their schedules so basically I was a sahm. My husband was a disciplinarian when he needed to be but he was still seen as the fun parent because he didn't see them as much and everything he did with them was a novelty from that perceptive.

1 hour ago, Eureka said:

Looking at the before and after pic makes me wonder if he has thyroid issues. His eyes are much more "buggy" now than before and that can be a symptom.

That could also explain the "heavy" feeling in his chest.  The buggy eyes are characteristic of Graves Disease, which manifests as hyperthyroid.  He should definitely get a full thyroid workup becayse hyperthyroid can wreak havoc on the heart.

22 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

WHOA. That is some truly awful hair on the left there.

I've seen Adam and Danielle's dynamic play out in my own family. As the stay-at-home parent, Danielle ends up being the "mean" disciplinarian while Daddy is walking through the door with cookies and magic carpet rides. Meanwhile Adam feels enormous pressure to financially support the family and still have time for them. It can be a toxic dynamic, so I hope they are addressing it. 

The other part of this scenario is mom's been home with the kids all day and is exhausted and just wants to fall into bed and go to sleep. Dad's excited because the kids are finally in bed and now they can have sex. I have always felt like this is a big issue for Adam. He wants their sex life to be like it used to be.

On 7/24/2017 at 8:51 AM, SongbirdHollow said:

Adam has tweeted that he does indeed suffer from PPD and that he wants to raise awareness about it.

I accept that he's depressed but I wish men wouldn't co-opt the term from women. I think they should have a different name for it in men. They did not give birth and they did not have the hormonal shitstorm because of it.

And isn't it soooo convenient that he has gone on GMA to talk about having PPD and to be the man poster child for it.  Does he call GMA begging to go on whenever they will let him?   He's going to make sure he keeps himself in the public eye as much as possible.  He loves him some attention.  On their Instagram acct they had posted a pic of a stack of tabloids and asked if anyone could guess what they all had in common.  Of course it was little articles about their new season starting ??

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 11:31 AM, Koalagirl said:

For those of you speculating on how much the Busby's are getting paid to be on the show:   I hope this was the right place to put this or should it have gone in the media section?

http://www.intouchweekly.com/posts/do-the-busby-s-get-paid-for-outdaughtered-137894

Nice family picture with article.. I'm still trying to figure out who does the quints look like.

Edited by sATL

Hazel looks just like Adam.   2 of the girls look like Danielle (maybe Ava and Olivia). Parker and Riley are a mix to me-with one favoring her dad. I still get them all mixed up besides Hazel (even before her glasses as the only red-head). 

I'm not going to lie-if TLC wanted my family on a show I'd do it just for the money and my crazy family is a lot more entertaining than say the Duggars. 

• Love 1

Do they have multiple wedding rings? Sometimes I see them wearing solid color bands and other times I see Danielle wearing a solitaire set.

More random comments: Blayke has a separate playroom or was that her bedroom too? A little melodramatic that it has to be perfect bc the kids will "grow up" in that room. We have a family room that was where all the kids' toys were when they were little, but it was also where we have our fireplace and tv so it was just, you know...a room.

Lots of issues with how they talk about depression: I did not like the language at all. "Mental issues"? Sigh. When the pastor labeled it "male ppd"...I feel like that was for the cameras, even though another poster did say it was real.

I get how he feels like it makes him feel weak etc., but the whole episode was a pity party of sorts (mainly the talking heads) and it's not all about him, you know?

Hazel in those glasses...so cute. Kids up on a stage having no clue why they were there, not as cute.

Edited by Eureka

Sherwin Williams Paint Store - "painless shopping trip" = Quints in stroller , after nap time with list in hand.

what is with all of the try on clothes? Don't kids clothes come in standard basic sizes - 18 mts, 2T, 3T ?

Edited by sATL

Yeah I don't know why the kids try on things.  You either buy the size they are currently wearing if they fit well or a size up.  Over time you learn which brands run taller, bigger, etc. (like I always found carters a bit longer).  The kids are two, by then you are used to sizing for your own kids and can usually just hold something up and know if it will fit.

My daughter was always in daycare and I find it interesting that the daycare had twenty 2 year olds and two teachers and it was not chaos at all.  On these multiple shows it is always way more chaos, I guess kids act up more for their parents.

Edited by fountain

I hope that the fact that the only ones on stage for the song were the quints was just for the show.  There are obviously other kids in their class, and they need to do things with the other children.  Did even one of them smile for the school pictures?  Or when they were on stage?  

Just how big is that house?  A master bedroom, Blayke's bedroom, at least one bedroom for the quints, a playroom for the quints, and another playroom for Blayke?  

Adam is uncomfortable talking about his feelings to a trusted pastor/friend, but has no problem doing it on national TV.  OK then.  And I agree with someone upthread who suggested that he get a medical work up.  His eyes appeared pretty normal in his wedding picture, not like the "bug-eyed" look he has now.

Hazel in glasses is adorable.  I hope they do the trick.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Eureka said:

Do they have multiple wedding rings? Sometimes I see them wearing solid color bands and other times I see Danielle wearing a solitaire set.

The "new"thing are wedding bands for work, working out, etc. They are some kind of silicone material that won't dent or scratch. My sister teaches fitness classes all day and has one. Also no stones to knock out. 

• Love 1
5 hours ago, AUgirl said:

The "new"thing are wedding bands for work, working out, etc. They are some kind of silicone material that won't dent or scratch. My sister teaches fitness classes all day and has one. Also no stones to knock out. 

Thanks. I must be an old fogey (married 20 yrs this month) bc we didn't have that back then. Lol. Seems like a lot to keep track of to keep switching. If I take my rings off to cook something messy, sometimes it takes me awhile to remember I didn't put them back on.

Edited by Eureka

Tell me why she parked in a handicapped spot at the paint store? Yes she drives a big bus of a van but there is no reason for you to take up a spot for a person that could legitimately use it and not sure why she would have a handicapped permit (coming from someone who has a permit for her DD who legitimately needs it and would NEVER consider using it when she wasn't with us)

Edited by keetmommy
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, AUgirl said:

Yes, they're called Qalo rings. A lot of people I know who work in construction or other rough fields have them, in addition to those who work out or do a lot of outdoor work.  The silicone is medical grade, I believe and they're nonconductive, which is great for men who work in certain fields. 

My husband works in construction, HVAC to be precise, and he's worn his white gold wedding band every day with no problems. But I understand people wanting to have something they feel more comfortable wearing, especially if their rings were super expensive. We got the cheapest we could, haha!

11 hours ago, Eureka said:

Kids up on a stage having no clue why they were there, not as cute.

I actually thought it was hysterical. I saw it as a giant FU to all these silly adults who think one-year-olds are capable of performing in a recital. 

7 hours ago, camom said:

I hope that the fact that the only ones on stage for the song were the quints was just for the show.  There are obviously other kids in their class, and they need to do things with the other children

They said that specific song was just the quints because there were 5 of them. I got the impression that that meant the other kids in the class did another song. It's easier to break them up into smaller groups like that. 

7 hours ago, camom said:

Just how big is that house?  A master bedroom, Blayke's bedroom, at least one bedroom for the quints, a playroom for the quints, and another playroom for Blayke?  

I thought the same thing? TWO playrooms? Can't Blayke just play in her room? We had a playroom at our old house, because we had an extra bedroom. It was nice when my 3 kids were younger. I would use a baby gate and put them in there and know they were safe. But we just moved and lost a bedroom, so they just play in their rooms. I guess they feel if the quints have one, they should give Blayke a special space too. I imagine all the quints are in one room and there's probably 5 bedrooms up there. So two are playrooms. As the quints get older, it might be better to break their sleeping space up a bit and ditch the playroom. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, AUgirl said:

I'll just add this little bit of trivia about astronaut Neil Armstrong that seems to fit the discussion. (Don't ask me how I pulled it out of the deep recesses of my brain, but I am good at Trivial Pursuit.)

In November 1978, Armstrong was working at his farm near Lebanon, Ohio. As he jumped off of the back of his grain truck, his wedding ring got caught in the wheel, tearing off the tip of his left hand's ring finger. He collected the severed digit and packed it in ice, and surgeons reattached it at the Jewish Hospital in Louisville, Kentucky.

• Love 1

I ff through Adam's therapy sessions. I don't care. He's so boring anyway and to add him looking sad and confused puts me to sleep. Blah blah Hazel blah blah surgery blah blah OMG NOT GLASSES!

• Love 6

Yeah I want to like this show but I was bored to death last night.  I do not find any of the kids cute. I also am completely over that shrieky voice the adults use when trying to get those unimpressed kids excited.   We have entered the paid sponsorship phase with the paint. Can the elaborate vacations be far behind?

• Love 6

They said that specific song was just the quints because there were 5 of them. I got the impression that that meant the other kids in the class did another song. It's easier to break them up into smaller groups like that. 

Yes, it's easier to break the class up into smaller groups, I just wish the quints wouldn't all have to be in the same group.  Mix it up a little!

• Love 2

Yup another one here who thought it odd to take all the kidz to the store to try on bathing suits. In reality I would think she would either order online like 2 different sizes and try them on at home or run out when someone else is around to watch the kiddos. All the excursions out they always have additional help (family) with them. It's understandable for sure but I would think more realistic to take care of stuff as I did (with my one at a time 2 daughters way back when). I remember when grandparents would come by or husband home from work the greatest thrill was to go to the supermarket with an empty cart and shop. Of course I did it still with the kids at times, but I used to joke that if I could get out of the home alone  I headed to the supermarket.:)

Again, I think it's the show. It's sure more exciting to watch the kidz go to the store than to have them at home all the time.

And yes agree about how it was strange that the school song was ONLY them.

• Love 1
On 8/2/2017 at 10:46 PM, pinkelephant3 said:

Does it drive anyone else nuts the way Danielle pronounces Parker's name? Like she's going to grow up thinking her name is paw-kar. 

Yes. And "fill" = "feel." Is that a Louisiana accent? My mom had a friend when I was growing up who was from Shreveport and she sounded nothing like that.

And nothing to do with the accent but why do they call Olivia Lulu? Why didn't they just name her that?

Edited by Eureka

And yes agree about how it was strange that the school song was ONLY them.

It was probably easier for filming than having to get releases and blurring faces of the ones who did not consent to be filmed. There was another act on before the quints if I'm not mistaken. 

Edited by AUgirl
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Eureka said:

Yes. And "fill" = "feel." Is that a Louisiana accent? My mom had a friend when I was growing up who was from Shreveport and she sounded nothing like that.

And nothing to do with the accent but why do they call Olivia Lulu? Why didn't they just name her that?

someone a while back had commented on the way Mimi said Parker, said it sounded like Porker lol & if you listen it does.

15 hours ago, Eureka said:

Sometimes kids get nicknames that sound nothing like their names. Who knows how they come about. Our daughter gets called, "Lady" most of the time, to be honest. I think LuLu is a cute nickname. They probably didn't have it in mind when naming the girls; it just happened. 

• Love 7
On 8/2/2017 at 7:48 AM, keetmommy said:

Tell me why she parked in a handicapped spot at the paint store? Yes she drives a big bus of a van but there is no reason for you to take up a spot for a person that could legitimately use it and not sure why she would have a handicapped permit (coming from someone who has a permit for her DD who legitimately needs it and would NEVER consider using it when she wasn't with us)

I think the store was closed and this was a staged event as part of the blatantly obvious Sherwin Williams promotion. So she wan't taking a handicap spot from anyone.

• Love 5

Whitney on My Big Fat Fabulous Life was shown parking in a handicapped space as well, and the defense of the groupies was, "The studio where she parked was closed, and was just there for filming."

I was able to read the small print on the handicapped parking sign:  It did NOT include the phrase "unless Whitney wants to park here while filming."  I would say the same to Danielle.  A handicapped space is ALWAYS off limits to those who do not have a placard or plate.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Whitney on My Big Fat Fabulous Life was shown parking in a handicapped space as well, and the defense of the groupies was, "The studio where she parked was closed, and was just there for filming."

I was able to read the small print on the handicapped parking sign:  It did NOT include the phrase "unless Whitney wants to park here while filming."  I would say the same to Danielle.  A handicapped space is ALWAYS off limits to those who do not have a placard or plate.

Hey, I'm not a groupie of Outdaughtered. 

I'm merely explaining that the entire scene at the Sherwin Williams Store was staged. I'm 100% positive that the film crew told Danielle where to park so they could get the best angle on the shot of her loading the kids into the stroller and into the store.   The whole premise was ridiculous.  A normal person would have kept the other adult in the van with the five kids or left the kids at home. There was zero need to lug the kids into the paint store except to add to the drama and get more shots of the kids wreaking havoc in a store.

Was it a bad move for the film crew to have her park in a handicapped spot?  Yes. Did Danielle have any say in it?  Probably not. Does it send a message to some viewers that you can park in a handicapped spot if you're driving a big van or if you have five toddlers with you?  Maybe. But people who would take that scene as permission to park in handicapped spots are probably doing so already and, in general, living their lives in a selfish way with little concern for other humans.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 6

Did Danielle have any say in it?  Probably not.

I disagree with this part.  The film crew controls a lot, but there is no way they could make her park illegally.  She could have said 'NO' and they would have moved the cameras.  I doubt, though, that it occurred to her that it would look bad to some people when she parked there.

Aren't they in Texas?  (I read here, but don't watch the show.)  The fine for parking in a handicapped space there starts at $500.  Doesn't matter whether the business is open or not.  Technically, a police officer could still ticket her, based on what was shown on the show.

Read some interesting stuff while googling this (because I was curious).  One person got ticketed for leaving their car in a handicapped space at a (closed) Walgreen's parking lot, as he was returning a DVD to a Redbox and there were no other spaces open.  He said he shouldn't have gotten a ticket because the store was closed.  Someone else asked whether this guy gave any consideration to the idea that a handicapped person might need to get to the Redbox, too.

On 8/2/2017 at 0:05 AM, camom said:

I hope that the fact that the only ones on stage for the song were the quints was just for the show.  There are obviously other kids in their class, and they need to do things with the other children.  Did even one of them smile for the school pictures?  Or when they were on stage?  

Adam is uncomfortable talking about his feelings to a trusted pastor/friend, but has no problem doing it on national TV.  OK then.  And I agree with someone upthread who suggested that he get a medical work up.  His eyes appeared pretty normal in his wedding picture, not like the "bug-eyed" look he has now.

Hazel in glasses is adorable.  I hope they do the trick.

I was just thinking the exact same thing about Adams bulgin eyes.  It can often be associated with a thyroid issue.

Edited by Emmeline

I just watched the episode where Adam threw a hissy fit over his hair dryer being taken by Mimi....what made me chuckle was the fact that his BIL and friend(?) didn't even bat an eyelid when he mentioned it at the gym later on....I really did expect them to either laugh at him or give him crap for being so bent out of shape over a hair dryer....but they seemed to sympathise....weird.

So were the quints really born the day after Blayke's birthday or was that some creative time lining going on? I'm glad Danielle listened and gave her her own party. I could be wrong but that question if she had to share parties forever seemed genuine to me.

I had to laugh when they were talking about the depression and Adam had a long strand of hair out of place. But I laughed even harder at the makeup fest.

One of the little girls looks just like Blayke to me but I can't really remember who is who. (it irks me how they still call them babies at two...just like it irks me how a local DJ refers to her 3 1/2 year old as a toddler, but I digress)

The preview for next week ...Adam found someone he can talk  to, in Nashville... and they live in Houston... OMG ! how, why and who is this great pastor that can help him?

And they couldn.t drive to Dallas to see the same eye specialist Dr that did the operation on Hazel?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

According to Wikipedia, Blayke was born April 5th and the quints April 8th. So I don't think the hectic party planning was for show. I get the issues with timing and birthdays close together. My sister has a 2-year-old and an 11-month-old and their birthdays are less than a week apart. She IS doing a double birthday this year, but probably won't always. Oh, and did I mention MY daughter's birthday is the same day as the 2-year-olds? And they live 3 hours away? So it gets crazy in August, trying to coordinate with our family! 

I am glad they gave Blayke her own thing, and a simple slumber party seemed like just what she wanted. 

The dentist trip seemed crazy, to me. I can't say for sure, but that place didn't look like a pediatric dentist. I'm sure their town has one. I much prefer a pediatric dentist when they're that young. The one we go to is amazing. The chairs are smaller, they have little TVs for the kids. Before we moved out in the country, the one we went to was shaped like a big barn and had SO much fun stuff for the kids to do. It really makes the visit more welcoming. But whatever. Also, found it out that Danielle was like, "Now we have to start brushing twice a day". NOW? They've been eating solid foods for a year at least! And you weren't brushing???

My daughter is about to be 6 and I swear I was calling her "the baby" until she was around 3. Awful I know. But easy to do when they're YOUR baby, the youngest. 

I don't think Adam is out of there at all. Even if he DID think that was a solution (and I don't know that he does), I think he'd feel too much pressure from the families/community/church to leave. 

• Love 3

I am pretty sure we have seen teeth brushing before with the quints so they probably were doing once a day.  When you feed milk before bed it can be hard to get the bedtime brushing in as lots of kids start to fall asleep.  I know as a parent, teeth brushing young kids is a major chore and with 5 I would hate it to be honest.  I appreciate that Danielle isn't a "perfect" parent.

The Nashville thing is interesting.  Hopefully it is just by phone and Adam doesn't expect to travel there.  I find it hard to respect people who want to tell you their illness and get sympathy/ support but won't see a doctor. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

My daughter is about to be 6 and I swear I was calling her "the baby" until she was around 3. Awful I know. But easy to do when they're YOUR baby, the youngest. 

To your point, I just posted something on Facebook today about my "baby" being in high school now (but I did put it in quotes). I just feel like it infantilizes the kids even more to not move on to "toddler" and "preschooler." My 2 cents and obviously people can call their kids what they want :)

29 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

I am glad they gave Blayke her own thing, and a simple slumber party seemed like just what she wanted. 

The dentist trip seemed crazy, to me. I can't say for sure, but that place didn't look like a pediatric dentist. I'm sure their town has one. I much prefer a pediatric dentist when they're that young. The one we go to is amazing. The chairs are smaller, they have little TVs for the kids. Before we moved out in the country, the one we went to was shaped like a big barn and had SO much fun stuff for the kids to do. It really makes the visit more welcoming. But whatever. Also, found it out that Danielle was like, "Now we have to start brushing twice a day". NOW? They've been eating solid foods for a year at least! And you weren't brushing???

I guess I thought when kids reach school age, party-guests were more so friends from class/neighborhood/ activities ( scouts/ballet/sports teams),  more so than family. I am very proud for Blayke speaking up. And I guess Danielle doesn't know you still can show up at the places w/o getting the formal party package. sometimes it is better if you don't get the package.

I found the dentist outing a little odd. I didn't think pediatric dentist, and especially family/general, started until age 3 - unless there is a medical issue. and why does Danielle have to do everything times 5? break it up a little and be considerate to the staff who is trying to service you.  50-60% of the show dedicated to "oral hygiene". Blakye spitting in the kitchen sink was gross.

• Love 1

The AAP actually recommends kids start seeing the dentist by age 1, or within 6 months of getting their first tooth. I think I started taking my kids around 2, though. So I think that's right on track. I might have done it a bit differently, though. Let the two church ladies play with 4 in the waiting room, while Danielle holds EACH individual kid for their actual exam. Exams at that age are super quick, and I think there would have been less crying if they all got their first visit to be accompanied by mommy. 

• Love 2