Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

I wonder why they weren't interested in seeing the 9/11 memorial?  The last time I was there, that was the first place I went.

I agree there was too much crying.  I noticed that when one starts to cry, they immediately pick her up.  I wonder if they discipline them at all?  They are not too young to learn the word "no".  Riley is going to be a brat.

I noticed that Danielle was feeding all the quints from the same spoon.  Kate Gosselin got a ton of flack for doing the same thing.

This is just my opinion and I'm probably a bitch for saying this, and maybe the fact that I can't stand kids factors in, but those kids are not cute, in fact Hazel is homely.

Edited by Honey
  • Love 4

I think some of the kids are cuter than others. Looks are relative, but I think Hazel is adorable. Her personality may factor in, hard to say. I think Olivia is really cute and likely to be a beautiful young girl; same for Ava since I believe they are the only two identical twins of the group? (I can tell the difference if I see both of them together, though.) Parker and Riley are just kind of bland, to me, but not homely. 

• Love 2

I'm not a big fan of calling babies 'homely,' but I think they're all cute!  Maybe that's because I've never met a homely baby.  Just by virtue of being so small, they're automatically cute in my eyes, but I melt into a puddle of goo in the vicinity of most babies, so what can I say?  As for Hazel, when she scrunches up her little face to squint, it melts my heart.  She reminds me of my grandmother when she looks at the TV screen and isn't wearing her glasses.  I know it's a result of a medical issue, but God, it's adorable.  She can't help having an eye problem that causes her to look that way.  It doesn't hurt that she also seems to be the smartest and best-tempered baby.  YMMV, of course.  

#TeamHazel

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 8

I can't imagine paying $800-1000 for four suitcases to travel from TX to NY for a few days.  And the pricey outfits for babies who will outgrow them within a couple of months!  And the coats!  Shit, I can't afford a North Face jacket!  God, how wasteful.  Clearly, money isn't a concern for these people.

I'm sure TLC is paying for the suitcases and clothes.

Does anyone really believe Adam and Danielle are getting a bill?

• Love 2

Good grief. Mimi would drive me insane. She constantly looks "tard" or strung out on something. I'm thinking it's booze? Quitting a job just because you don't like it is such a totally irresponsible thing to do, I'm just dumbfounded. Why did she not have ANY money in the bank?

• Love 1

Mimi cant handle watching her own grandchildren when she has no job. How would she ever handle a bus of unruly children? She would be real tired then.

And what was up with her having to think about going on a free trip to New York? She doesnt work! So put out by the last vacation where she didnt even book her own room? She might be the most entitled person ive seen on tv in a while. 

These people are cute. But lord, they have some money. I just cant relate. I buy my stuff on threadup, and i only have 3 kids. My husband has a good job but we still have to save for a pool since i dont work. 

So their church gave them a lot of stuff, like the brand new van, right? This is a problem to me, with church. They can afford a 400 000 dollar home. 1,000 bucks in luggage for a single trip. Kids constantly decked out in expensive clothes. Brand new swing set. Expensive baby gear. New business. Vacations. Etc.etc.etc. but their church gave them a van. Blows my mind. Clearly they werent hurting to start with since theyve talked about how much they traveled and his expensive electronics. Im not saying the church shouldnt help them, but a VAN? How many orphans or widows could have used that money, rather than someone who works in oil and was courting a tv show? 

I dont know if can turn in anymore. They seem spoiled and entitled and have a bad case of the gimmies. They have far more date nights than we do. I do want to know what happens with Mimi. I have to know what her deal is! 

The money just blows my mind. Do you know how expensive it had to be to over night that luggage? 

• Like 1
  • Love 14

In, somewhat, defense of Mimi, it is so much harder to start over when you are over 50 (probably closer to 60 in her case).   We all can tell that we aren't being told anywhere close to what is really going on with Mimi, so I will give her the benefit of the doubt.  Leaving a bad marriage maybe, possibly illness, who knows?

Her financial situation isn't unusual either - depending on which article you read, between 25% -35% of Americans have no savings.  And of those who do have money in the bank the average is around $5000.

Have they ever mentioned Danielle's father?  Is he still alive?  Involved with his daughters and grandkids at all?  A deadbeat?  Maybe Mimi went from her father's house to a controlling husband's house and is only now on her own.  Maybe she just isn't that comfortable having her life dissected on TV but is being pressured in to it by her kids.  "But Mom, think of your grandkids.  Poor little Hazel needs this."

And I sure can understand her hesitance at a "free vacation" in NYC.  Being stuck all the time with 5 screaming toddlers is not my idea of a vacation.  Add in the fact that this trip was probably scheduled down to the second with no regard to what anyone but Adam and Danielle (and GMA and TLC) wanted and it looked like far from a pleasure trip to me.  More like a forced march through hell.

I forgot one part that really bugged me - when Mimi mentioned how good looking the men in NYC.  Danielle then said the men in Paris were even better looking - that just seemed really bitchy to me, on Danielle's part.  She knows full well that her mother has never been to Paris and really seemed to enjoy needlessly throwing that in her mother's face.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 4
59 minutes ago, Amers said:

Mimi cant handle watching her own grandchildren when she has no job. How would she ever handle a bus of unruly children? She would be real tired then.

And what was up with her having to think about going on a free trip to New York? She doesnt work! So put out by the last vacation where she didnt even book her own room? She might be the most entitled person ive seen on tv in a while. 

These people are cute. But lord, they have some money. I just cant relate. I buy my stuff on threadup, and i only have 3 kids. My husband has a good job but we still have to save for a pool since i dont work. 

So their church gave them a lot of stuff, like the brand new van, right? This is a problem to me, with church. They can afford a 400 000 dollar home. 1,000 bucks in luggage for a single trip. Kids constantly decked out in expensive clothes. Brand new swing set. Expensive baby gear. New business. Vacations. Etc.etc.etc. but their church gave them a van. Blows my mind. Clearly they werent hurting to start with since theyve talked about how much they traveled and his expensive electronics. Im not saying the church shouldnt help them, but a VAN? How many orphans or widows could have used that money, rather than someone who works in oil and was courting a tv show? 

I dont know if can turn in anymore. They seem spoiled and entitled and have a bad case of the gimmies. They have far more date nights than we do. I do want to know what happens with Mimi. I have to know what her deal is! 

The money just blows my mind. Do you know how expensive it had to be to over night that luggage? 

You voiced some big beefs of mine.  I've found that situations like multiple births, tragedies, etc. really do bring out the very best in some people.  They just want to give and help in any way that they can and you can't put a price on that.  I think the gifts they've received say more about the good people who gave them than the recipients.  Like you, I also have a huge issue with money being funneled to seemingly well-off people as opposed to those who are truly in need of the most basic resources like underwear, food, and clean water, much less a fancy van and top-shelf clothing for babies who will outgrow them in four months.  The Busby's pre-TLC financial status is out there on full display with every establishment shot of their huge home, the full sets of five of everything, and the father's penchant for buying pricey goodies.  It's definitely off-putting, but I'm interested enough in the babies' development to keep tuning in.  I just hope this show doesn't ruin their family (*cough* Gosselins *cough*).

As for the cost of overnighting an entire suitcase, my mother would have laughed in my face if I'd suggested such a thing as a kid.  You can damn sure bet I wouldn't forget it next time.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 3

In, somewhat, defense of Mimi, it is so much harder to start over when you are over 50 (probably closer to 60 in her case).

You're right, Mittengirl, and we don't know the whole story.  That's part of the frustration with shows like this -- we are given only selected information, so we naturally try to add in the missing pieces of the puzzle.  On the other hand, I feel that once you put yourself on a "reality" TV show, you are fair game for the viewers to try to make sense of things.  I only wish the best for Mimi, but what we are shown doesn't exactly make her look good.

Add me to the camp that think Adam and Danielle don't fully appreciate what they have.  Money is obviously not a huge issue, and never has been.  I just hope they don't lose their shirts with the trendy cycling place.

• Love 3

I don't see any correlation to the Dionnes. Poor family has freakshow children taken away by the government and are raised in a weird sterile zoo house. And even when they did get back to the parents, they were miserable and abusive. I get that they think any exposure is bad given their horrible upbringing, but their lives couldn't not have been more different than the upper-middle class, much loved Busby babies.

Does Hazel have a facial deformity? The space between her eyes looks misshapen or swollen. Some of the other girls have dark circles under their eyes, but Hazel is the only one with that look. 

I can't believe that Danielle married Adam when he was a creepy looking pipsqueak! Damn he improved with age/exercise/money. 

I admit that the accents wear on me, but otherwise they all seem fine. I keep waiting for something more normal (well, the way I would live life with all those kids - probably more like a Gosselin) to start happening (am I the only one who feels panicky when the kids eat spaghetti with their hands?). But maybe they just are calmer people. I don't think they could pretend for this long if they weren't. 

I don't like that all the THs are done at the exact same time. At least switch up the clothes. Danielle going through a whole season of recaps in that same orange shirt feels lazy. And I really can do without Mimi. I admit that I'm rather sick of all grandmothers now being called some form of Mimi, but this gal is just not all there and not entertaining to me. I feel like we're not being told something. Alcohol? Mental illness? 

• Love 6

Does Hazel have a facial deformity? The space between her eyes looks misshapen or swollen. Some of the other girls have dark circles under their eyes, but Hazel is the only one with that look.

Hazel does have a "different" look about her, and it isn't just the eye/vision thing.  Can't put my finger on what it is, though.  My daughter, who has Down syndrome, was watching with me and asked if Hazel has Down syndrome (she doesn't).  But her facial features and head shape are different from the rest of the babies.  I have trouble telling the others apart, but Hazel is easy.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Parker and Riley are just kind of bland, to me, but not homely. 

Noo!! They are all adorable.  Riley stands out with her eyes, she has that devil look of what can I get into next.  And Parker is just a spitting image of Danielle.    Everyone one of the quints is adorable in my eyes.   

• Love 1

They can afford a 400 000 home.

Around the time they moved, they blogged that the builder had been touched by their story and helped them to afford this bigger house.  

I think Blayke, Ava, Olivia and Parker all look very much alike and are a combo of both parents.   IMO Riley looks exactly like Danielle.   Hazel has her own look all together - not really sure who she looks like! 

5 hours ago, camom said:
2 hours ago, camom said:

Hazel does have a "different" look about her, and it isn't just the eye/vision thing.  Can't put my finger on what it is, though.  My daughter, who has Down syndrome, was watching with me and asked if Hazel has Down syndrome (she doesn't).  But her facial features and head shape are different from the rest of the babies.  I have trouble telling the others apart, but Hazel is easy.

Totally off topic, but I have a toddler with Down Syndrome!!

• Love 1

Mimi's accent drives me nuts.  When she says Parker, it comes out Porker.  Danielle doesn't seem to have much of an accent at all.

One thing I like about Danielle is that she's relaxed about the kids.  What I mean is, she doesn't stress if the kids make a mess while eating or playing.  If they drop food on the floor, no big deal.  You can tell her house is clean though.  I also think it's great that the kids have been eating with utensils since they were very young.  They may not have mastered it yet, but they are doing very good.  Those sporks they have are really cool. 

One thing that drives me crazy about her, is that in her TH's she laughs after almost every statement she makes.

• Love 3

I know Adam and Danielle are not paying for the clothes but it still all feels so grossly materialistic and kind of insulting when money discussions come into play.  Adam and Danielle looked at down snow suits!  For a week trip where NYC didn't even have snow.  

I don't know why they overnights the bags.  It is NYC walk to the store and buy 5 pairs of leggings and 5 tshirts.  There are stores everywhere.

Edited by fountain
  • Love 3

since others have watched the episode and maybe have it on DVR/On-Demand/etc..did someone discover the answer to my question ?

On ‎1‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 2:15 AM, sATL said:

I get the sisters and their husbands confused... is Mimi moving in with  Dale (the man who tells it like it is and appears to be VERY short of patience) OR Nick (the boss of all the hubbies ) ?

Edited by sATL
On 1/18/2017 at 6:59 AM, Honey said:

If they shop at a small store it's much easier to get everyone who may be caught on camera to sign waivers.  How would they ever do that in Walmart?  It's easier for production to just pay for what they need, rather than track everyone down for waivers.

They blur people a lot on TV shows.  Costs next to nothing and requires little effort from the production staff.  

Someone above also mentioned the lack of availability of winter clothes for purchase in warmer climates.  I live in ARIZONA.  Our Walmart and Target stores sell adorable winter clothes.  And if they don't have them in the store, you can order them to be delivered to the store.  These folks just don't seem to know what it's REALLY like to have to live on a budget.

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

They blur people a lot on TV shows.  Costs next to nothing and requires little effort from the production staff.  

Someone above also mentioned the lack of availability of winter clothes for purchase in warmer climates.  I live in ARIZONA.  Our Walmart and Target stores sell adorable winter clothes.  And if they don't have them in the store, you can order them to be delivered to the store.  These folks just don't seem to know what it's REALLY like to have to live on a budget.

Thank you.  One word: AMAZON.  And they can't use a tight timeline as an excuse either.  I can't tell you how many times I've ordered something at night, only to have it land on my desk before lunchtime the following day. 

• Love 5

I'm assuming that when they show the name of the store everything is free because of the publicity. Now we know that place has adorable onesie coats. And they tried on those things because - cute babies in cute clothes. 

The money talk is annoying (when they pretended to buy those things), but that's probably all producer driven/stick to a script stuff. We've been here before on TLC. They're sticking to the Gosselin script pretty tightly. Only that show took off like crazy because the parents were, well, crazy. 

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Honey said:

One thing I like about Danielle is that she's relaxed about the kids.  What I mean is, she doesn't stress if the kids make a mess while eating or playing.  If they drop food on the floor, no big deal.  

This is why I really like her. She's the kind of mother a set of multiples needs - not a certain unnamed, controlling, overbearing shrew. Sure, she seems stressed sometimes, but she generally seems to be able to manage really well. She keeps an upbeat, relaxed attitude about most things and I think that will benefit her kids in the long run. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ghoulina said:

This is why I really like her. She's the kind of mother a set of multiples needs - not a certain unnamed, controlling, overbearing shrew. Sure, she seems stressed sometimes, but she generally seems to be able to manage really well. She keeps an upbeat, relaxed attitude about most things and I think that will benefit her kids in the long run. 

I like the way Danielle mothers too.  I like how she uses one spoon for all of the kids and how she dumps food on the highchair trays.  I would be OCD and have five sets of dishes and five spoons and run back and forth between kids and drive us all crazy.  Her way is much better IMO.

• Love 4

Hmmm. I'm waiting for the next season to see how Danielle is with the quints when they really hit the terrible 2s/troublesome 3s. Now the quints kinda stay in her little gated area, and only a couple (or maybe its the same baby) are climbers and adventures. I would like to see them just as a 8 person family in a restaurant or at a attraction when the crying/fighting/biting/etc starts.

tabloidlover (or anyone)- which sister ? meaning who is her hubby?

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

Don't hotels usually have pack n plays or cribs? Why couldn't they get those instead of shipping theirs? Granted, I only have two kids and they are not twins, but shipping bath soap and cribs seemed a little over the top and unnecessary to me.

• Love 1

I don't find them greedy or over materialistic...I think they are just not allowed to address that the tv show gives them the extra means to afford all this stuff. As far as the luggage goes, I bet GMA comped it....additionally, they will use it again. Its not just a one time use thing like the 5 snow suits that they will grow out of. And it was nice to see them say no to the snow suits.

IDK, I like them! I think they fully realize that the show is giving them a lot of opportunities and I would take them too if I were them. 

• Love 3

The husband we hardly ever see is Nick. I believe he's the one who owns/runs the business the other brother-in-laws work for. 

I've never used a hotel pack-n-play or crib, but I wonder how many they actually keep on hand. Requesting one is a lot different than requesting five. 

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

The husband we hardly ever see is Nick. I believe he's the one who owns/runs the business the other brother-in-laws work for. 

Yes. that is the one. I think the most I've seen him was out on the golf course during the "vacation" episode. With his work ethic (giving the other brothers-in-laws jobs) and Ashley working full-time, 2 school-age kiddies, I wonder how long will he tolerate houseguest Mimi. I'm surprised he didn't agree to her coming without seeing a plan, with a timeline, in writing. Leaving Mini home all day to drown in her sorrows of losing her job, house not sold, out of money, etc, might not be good therapy . I'm from a small family so I am amazed how the in-laws seem to get along. I'm used to extended family drawing the line sooner, rather than later, stating when a person  has "over stayed their welcome". The old saying - "you don't have to go home BUT you can't stay here", "little birdies need to leave the nest", etc.  :)

Adam is starting to get on my nerves.  He was a little too excited about being on GMA and didn't seem to care who it inconvenienced or how much.  Apparently he told GMA 'yes' before even discussing it with Danielle.  He seems to think he is a real gift to the world.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I've never used a hotel pack-n-play or crib, but I wonder how many they actually keep on hand. Requesting one is a lot different than requesting five. 

I hear you. But did you see how big that place was? They were on the 35th floor. I'm thinking since the hotel was so big (and they were getting product placement) that they could have rustled up 5. I know I'm being picky. Lol. I do actually like this family although the husband's hair issues (is that being a "metrosexual"?) and entitlement for his expensive "toys" bug me.

On 2017-01-19 at 11:41 AM, Eureka said:

Completely catty bone to pick but they are not "onesies," they are "snowsuits." I grew up in Maine and it drove me crazy the number of times she said onesies. Lol.

I found the onesie coat comment hilarious.  I wondered if it is what people in warm places really call a snowsuit in real life?  Too funny

Had to also laugh at Adam and Danielle freezing in NYC when the waistress had a tank top.  

Sad I know this but... one of the sisters opened her hair salon in an early episode so Adam's pricey and numerous hair products, blow dryers that cost hundreds of $$, frequent haircuts  come with the family discount and wholesale prices.

The increased number of grown up plot lines has made the show less charming and the show's producers are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

More babies...less camera time for anyone over the age of 10.

• Love 3

tlc is now re-running the rummage/garage/estate sale episode. mimi stated she has been in the house 26 years. so if she only has the 1st original mortgage, the payments are going to be much cheaper than any rental anywhere. Daneille stated that Mimi's house is too small for the 8 , therefore we not talking about a large mortgage monthly payment. To keep Mimi out everyone's hair, I wonder did the 3 sisters/families consider, splitting Mini's payment 3 ways. If Adam/Danielle can take $100k out of their house for a spin cycle business, they could have taken out a couple more and paid off her house.

And I guess Mini didn't think about paying any extra on principle in the 26 years. I know the early years, while the girls were small, probably was finacially hard, but again her daughters as past grown and independent. All of that booze could have been hundreds of $$ towards paying off her house.

Edited by sATL
On 1/22/2017 at 10:29 AM, humbleopinion said:

Sad I know this but... one of the sisters opened her hair salon in an early episode so Adam's pricey and numerous hair products, blow dryers that cost hundreds of $$, frequent haircuts  come with the family discount and wholesale prices.

The increased number of grown up plot lines has made the show less charming and the show's producers are killing the goose that laid the golden eggs.

More babies...less camera time for anyone over the age of 10.

Well said.  We want to see the babies.  That's it.  Enough of all the adult drama.  Less Mimi.  

• Love 3

I am catching a bit of this today and I, too, am perplexed by the need to buy EVERYTHING!  Does everything have to be matching and new, ala Kate Gosselin?  Shipping cribs to NYC?  I am sure a nice hotel, with GMA behind you, will supply Pack N Play cribs.  You can't borrow suitcases from friends?   Shipping bath stuff?  Last I heard, NYC sold soap.  And clothes.

Does League City have a lower cost of living?  They seem to not struggle with money like my hubby and I did when our two (just two) kids were little.  Then again, we were not on tv.  LOL!

Mimi is hard to figure out - she quit a job after a few days?  I am sure Adam is like.....get out of my house.  Now.

I have kids (now in college) but I agree with the poster upthread - stop with all the crying and please......no more spitting up/vomiting shots. 

• Love 1

League City is closer to the oil refineries.

Adam and his BILs work in the oil biz.

Texas has no state tax and homes/mini mansions can be priced on Zillow so you can compare to your local area.

Danielle is very much like Kate when it comes to hair brained ideas like shipping cribs and all their needs... but TLC/GMA will do it for the talent.

I am expecting the show to be less charming this season with more producer driven staging, bad acting by the adults and exploitation of the girls.

• Love 4

My iPad is not letting me copy the link but on Delilah's Facebook page there is a link to her interview with the Busbys. Their new season starts July 11. They mention several times in it that two of the girls are identical twins. I'm not sure I knew that before.

I tried to watch this show.  I really did.  I thought Danielle was relaxed, and Adam was cool.  But I cannot stand Mimi!  She has made the show unbearable to watch.   

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:02 AM, trackrat59 said:

Well said.  We want to see the babies.  That's it.  Enough of all the adult drama.  Less Mimi.  

How about no Mimi?  Can't stand that woman.

• Love 2
On 12/31/2016 at 1:20 PM, sATL said:

why is what Mimi taught such a secret? She just replied in an interview " I like all ages..". Yes, teachers do, but their license/experiences is a little more specific (nursery/early childhood vs. kindergarten vs. elementary vs. high school-subjects). I don't get why the big mystery. Yes, college is expensive. Yes, college is hard. Yes, college studies take time away from day-to-day adult responsibilities. But in 25 years being in an  educational system (who probably had tuition reimbursement of some-kind plan) , just by taking one class a year, would have led to full state certification. And if the quints plus her other grands are "making her tired" & "she's too old for this..." why interview at a preschool-learning center? Why not meet the principal or teachers at Blyke's school? And I am surprised that the preschool owner would offer to hire her to teach other teachers, if she doesn't have full license credentials. I also find it odd that in all of Lake Charles & Houston plus their surrounding areas/school systems, she couldn't find a job and/or other job leads.

Was it ever determined that Mimi was a licensed teacher?  Perhaps she was a teacher in a private preschool where the people leading the class are not licensed.  The fact that Mimi (who I never realized how much she bugged until I read through older posts!) can't/won't land a job is puzzling.  Sure some employers, including those in a preschool where you are chasing little kids, might be geared for a younger employee.  But older folks have PLENTY to offer:  no more calling in to party, no childcare issues (usually!) and just more maturity.  Mimi does not seem too mature and seems very content to let her kids support her and be too busy to go to New York on GMA's dime.  Not sure what she wants!

Investing in a cycling business?  Maybe later but keep that financial security in your home.  Stay out of debt!!  My teaching license cost some serious coin and yes, they all say it is "good debt" but you know what?  It is still debt!!  LOL!

Preschool for 18 months old toddlers?  They can't talk!!!  I am not judging the putting them in school but call it what it is:  a Toddler Time or such.

• Love 1

I can sort of see why they would put the kids in some type of nursery school, but they're sure not doing it the way I would.  The reason I would do it is so that the girls learn to play with and get along with kids their own age other than their sisters.  But putting them all together in the school kind of defeats that purpose.  I'd put a couple in two days a week and different ones two other days.  But that's just me.

• Love 1
On 1/18/2017 at 1:49 PM, camom said:

I think Mimi would like her daughters to each chip in and rent her an apartment, supply her with an 'allowance,' and she could just do whatever she wants.

Wouldn't we all? Lol. (But yes, I get the same vibe from her)

• Love 3