Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

(edited)
57 minutes ago, tomorrowgirl said:

When Adam was filming the girls running down the stairs, and Parker was found under the bed instead of participating, the cynic in me wondered if she had been told to go under the bed.

I watched the Christmas episode again yesterday and on second viewing it seemed so stage. Like someone mentioned upthread, I believe for the most part the kids are child actors. 

Edited by druzy
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3

When they brought the girls out on stage, Adam went and took the hand of one of the girls.   Knowing Parker's reluctance, why didn't he just go and pick her up so that she'd feel more comfortable?  They seem to be making her issues worse, just for the drama of the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, druzy said:

Admittedly, I didn't have the patience to read the entire article. What I did read sounds verbatim like what the Gosselins said about themselves during the early years of their show. What is going to stop them from heading for the same train wreck? They are letting their lives be run by the same production company. The kids are already showing signs that they're tired of it. 

• Love 8
16 hours ago, Chalby said:

Parker's behaviour is beyond shyness. I was extremely shy as a child and would rather curl up and die than have the focus on me. But Parker has learned that by NOT answering, acknowledging etc., suddenly mom and dad are all over her telling her how amazing she is. They reward this behaviour without even realizing it. 

I wonder if she is very competitive, and if she doesn't think she can win, then she refuses to participate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

So they already labeled Parker as the "anxious one"?     That's absurd.   And calling Riley bad is really being mean.    

If you grow up being labeled like that, it's going to be a self-fulfilling prophecy I bet.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
  • Love 10
18 hours ago, druzy said:

I got about 3/4 through it and got tired of reading of this egotistical couple.  Of course Adam sees no end to this, only if people stop watching.  Never once says if the girls decide they don't want to do it anymore.  He keeps going on and on about how much people love them, love watching them except some who feels they can say what they want about us behind their screen.  He really needs to get that not everyone is buying their act and won't love their family and that's ok.  Don't put yourself out there if you're going to get that butthurt.  

• Love 8
1 hour ago, druzy said:

Also they NEVER argue they have passionate conversations. 

I think they had more of a hand in contacting TLC than they lead us to believe. They claim that Danielle wrote a blog that had 400 million views and Yadda Yadda Yadda... TLC called:

Passionate conversations, psh.

I side eyed that they were holding out for TLC.  Mainly, they saw how popular the Gossellins got and they aimed to be the next Jon and Kate (why, I don't know). 

• Love 5

The show was cute for a while, but it's rapidly becoming annoying.  

All Hazel all the time.  Too much Hazel.  Also, what's with the uncle coming right out and saying Hazel is his favorite?

Riley and Parker get some time, but we never hear about Ava or Olivia.

Also, how can this family afford the lifestyle we are shown?

Huge home, tons of clothes, and that vacation to Hawaii must have cost $50K.  

Real American families don't live like this one.

• Love 6
On 7/17/2019 at 7:24 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

So I wonder if Adam's parents moved to the Houston area too?   Since Mimi is already there, Danielle's sisters, and everyone else, I wonder if everyone has left the Lake Charles area?   

I certainly hope not because I LOVE their home and especially the backyard. If I were D & a, I would want to move back for the cheaper real estate (build their own custom home) since Adam can work from home. (I guess she'd miss her sisters...)

• Love 1
On 7/17/2019 at 2:07 PM, eel21788 said:

I wonder if she is very competitive, and if she doesn't think she can win, then she refuses to participate.

Good point as she seems competitive during playtime. I've watched her be aggressive to her siblings if she's not getting what she wants. For that matter, they ALL are very physical - Riley only gets caught because she's too loud during her aggression.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
On 7/17/2019 at 8:49 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

When they were looking at rental houses with Mimi, she seemed much less flighty and a ton more professional than she was before.    I think a lot of the ditzy act by Mimi was scripted last year.  

Good point, and if I recall correctly, before we even got to 'meet her' Adam was always rolling his eyes, are remarking about how ditzy she was etc. When Mimi compared herself to Lucille ball (like, seriously?) voila, her role in the family was pre-determined. (Is Grandma, or Nana a bad word in their area?)

• Love 1
6 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I don't know, but maybe it's a southern thing.  I know quite a few grandmothers who are called Mimi.  Also, popular here is MeMa and MaMa.

I think it may be a regional thing, as when I was growing up (in Connecticut), I, and all my friends, called our grandparents Grandma/Grandpa [first name]. It wasn't until I moved to Texas I heard "Nana", "Meemaw", etc..

Now that I'm living back in New England (Rhode Island), I'm hearing Grandma/Grandpa [first name] again.

As an aside, I read a letter to an advice columnist just a few weeks ago written by a couple who was about to have their first baby; what would the baby call their grandparents?

At issue was in the tradition of the father's family,  the parents decided what the grandparents would be called by their grandchildren, while the tradition in the mother's family the grandparents chose what to be called by their grandchildren.

Because of this disparity in familial traditions, "What to call the grandparents?" had turned into a raging argument (between the two parents, the parents and the prospective grandparents, and both sets of grandparents between each other) before the baby was even born!

UGH. 

And this is why, IMO, sticking to Grandma/Grandpa [first name] is the best way to go!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's not that I have anything against parents who are really struggling to pay the bills to take jobs that are hard on the family, like reality tv. Sometimes, in order to pay for the rent, lights, food, and have insurance, you do what you have to do, but, I think you have to be careful to not give the impression that you're sacrificing the children's best interest.  Maybe, they aren't the way they appear on the show, but, they seem to be and that can also have a negative impact on your life.  To be labeled a problem child, a disturbed child, a naughty child, when you are barely in pre-school, seems outrageous, because, this stuff is out on video and can't be contained. It will always follow the children.  

I wonder when there is total chaos, screaming, throwing, pushing, refusals, etc., does Adam not know how to intervene, straighten it out and inform the girls, this is the way it's going to go and then ensure that it does?  They just stand there looking helpless, like it's inevitable that the girls have total rule.  So bizarre to me. Whether, it's fake and he's doing that for the show or he really is that way, it's pathetic.  I would think the girls would be insecure, since no sense of authority is shown and it's up to the girls to be as unruly as they want.  I do recall Danielle's sister making a suggestion to her that they sometimes tell the girls no.  

I definitely get the impression that TLC thinks that children going hog wild is entertaining, since we see it with other shows like The Little Couple.  Even on LPBW, they encourage the puppy to go wild and destructive.  I'm not sure where they get this idea from.  

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I definitely get the impression that TLC thinks that children going hog wild is entertaining, since we see it with other shows like The Little Couple.  Even on LPBW, they encourage the puppy to go wild and destructive.  I'm not sure where they get this idea from.  

It's Reality TV 101. Drama is entertainment, even when it's manufactured. The whole point of shows like Outdaughtered and Sweet Home Sexuplets is to show parents being "overwhelmed" by a gaggle of children.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

It's Reality TV 101. Drama is entertainment, even when it's manufactured. The whole point of shows like Outdaughtered and Sweet Home Sexuplets is to show parents being "overwhelmed" by their children.

Yeah.  So weird to me.  I'd be embarrassed.  But, maybe, the money loosens you up.  lol  What did Forest Gump's mother say to him  about claiming he used a certain ping pong paddle, when he didn't?  "It's just a little white lie. Everybody knows the truth really."  or something like that. The point was to take the boatload of money, as no one would be harmed by his words. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
13 minutes ago, SongbirdHollow said:

It's Mimi because it's also Kiki and Didi . The family has a thing for nickname s and baby talk.

And don’t forget the other sister LeLe (Ashley) 😉

• Love 3

Yeah......Don't get me started on nick names.  There're fine for grandparents, but, does everyone have to have one?  lol If you're not careful, they can really label a person.  I know a family who gave their cute little boy the nick name Bubba.  It really bothered me, but, NONE of my business.  Poor kid.  I always use his actual name when addressing him. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I know a family who gave their cute little boy the nick name Bubba.

My nephew was Bubba for his first couple of years and he and the family finally grew out of it. Every once in a while I throw it out there for fun! 😉

• Love 2

Oh, come now. You cannot be salty about the Outdaughtered nicknames when the show is up against the MOTHER of all ridiculously named children, the Waldrops of Sweet Home Sextuplets. Nick names AND proper names. 

Rawlings (Raw Raw). I don't know which is worse. For a GIRL.  And Blu, Tag, Layke, Rivers, Rayne. Rawlings and Rivers wouldn't be half bad. On BOYS. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

Maybe, it's me, but, to me, when you pick the baby's name, imagine they are in college or applying to college. Do you know how annoying and inconvenient it is to always have your name misspelled or mispronounced? For purposes of school, DMV, insurance, job applications, etc.  It can take weeks to straighten it out. Having oddly spelled names is not that good.  It seems like cutesy, whimsical, trumps professional.  lol 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Yeah......Don't get me started on nick names.  There're fine for grandparents, but, does everyone have to have one?  lol If you're not careful, they can really label a person.  I know a family who gave their cute little boy the nick name Bubba.  It really bothered me, but, NONE of my business.  Poor kid.  I always use his actual name when addressing him. 

OK, Sunny Bebe! 😅

• LOL 2
On 7/17/2019 at 5:04 PM, eel21788 said:

Admittedly, I didn't have the patience to read the entire article. What I did read sounds verbatim like what the Gosselins said about themselves during the early years of their show. What is going to stop them from heading for the same train wreck? They are letting their lives be run by the same production company. The kids are already showing signs that they're tired of it. 

I wonder when the Busbys will have their Hawaiian vow renewal like the Gosselins? 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
9 minutes ago, druzy said:

What vacations? 

Can someone please teach Adam how to use a freaking apostrophe?  On another note, I'm so glad they're relaxing at the expense of their kids' privacy.  Can you tell I'm over them?

• Love 4
On 7/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, TMI said:
On 7/16/2019 at 9:16 PM, TMI said:

Parker is a smart cookie....She has figured out that she gets  major one on one attention while the other quints wallow in the herd...

On 7/16/2019 at 9:36 PM, KBrownie said:

Yep.  And it seems like Adam and Danielle may be equally as perplexed as to why Riley is acting out next week.  Parker and Riley.  The two who arguably get the least of the focus.  They aren't the oldest/first born, or a twin, and they haven't got any medical issue that requires special attention and outings that go along with those things.  I've always thought those two would have to find a way to get themselves some attention.  Riley demands it naturally with her bold, outgoing personality and Parker has figured out something that works for her.  

This was my original thought about Parker’s 'dire situation’ — attention seeking especially from always-whining-self indulging- baby speaking  Daddy.

Once again., i query:  if Adam wants to work from home so badly [and to 'help out’ with his own kids] but doesn’t want to be disturbed, build a small detached office and shut the heck up...

• Love 2

...i dunno, Blayke has circles underneath her eyes and looks constantly drained and exhausted. Sure, she giggles sometimes, but...

if you note, at the presentation, she was quick to offer The Excuse for her absence in the video (sad, no one cared) and to state what she received as recompense. Girl knows what’s what...

• Like 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

back to Mimi's original plight - Is it true that teaching/education contracts are always renewed - in that profession never experiences layoffs or reduction in work staff ? Which implies the only way out of a contract is to quit, get fired, retire, or heaven forbid pass-on....

I grew up and live in a large metropolitan area. I've heard of school A closing and/or school A & B merged with school C due for various reasons. I guess I thought even though the profession overall has a shortage, that there are budgetary reasons for reducing staff - which I what I thought happened to Mimi. It's sad that the budget decision happens - but it surely shouldn't be unheard of.

If a teacher does not want to go to the new location - isn't that considered a layoff ? It would be in corporate - if your job is realigned to another location and one chooses not to go - then that is the end of the line, so to speak.

Edited by sATL
(edited)
On 7/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, druzy said:
On 7/17/2019 at 2:37 PM, druzy said:

.....whereas Adam appears to enjoy the camera. (There are times when the viewer feels a visceral urge to take him aside and say, with great affection, “My dude, it is not about you.”)

Let me preface this by saying that while I certainly wouldn't consider myself a "fan," I like Adam and Danielle just fine for the most part.  When I read the above quote from the linked article, however, I almost choked I laughed  so hard.  😉

On 7/19/2019 at 5:32 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

]At issue was in the tradition of the father's family,  the parents decided what the grandparents would be called by their grandchildren, while the tradition in the mother's family the grandparents chose what to be called by their grandchildren.

And this is why, IMO, sticking to Grandma/Grandpa [first name] is the best way to go!

In our family, the kids decide what  to call the grandparents.  I'm the oldest grandchild on my mom's side of the family, and my grandparents thoughtfully selected what they wanted to be called.  When  I started talking, however, I could pronounce neither, so promptly gave each of them a different name of my choosing, which stuck and got passed along to every grand and great-grandchild after me.  Since then, the kids are encouraged to choose what to call their grandparents from the beginning, and  it's now a fun tradition to look forward to seeing what cute/funny/sweet name each new grandparents is "assigned."  😉

On 7/18/2019 at 8:20 PM, Grams said:

The show was cute for a while, but it's rapidly becoming annoying.  

All Hazel all the time.  Too much Hazel.  Also, what's with the uncle coming right out and saying Hazel is his favorite?

Riley and Parker get some time, but we never hear about Ava or Olivia.

I've seen the same said about Riley, about Parker (when it comes to Adam), about Ava (when it comes to Danielle), and about Blayke (both that it's all about her and that it's never about her).  I also see this accusation made a lot re: both Zoey and Will on The Little Couple, with each child being the center of the universe in some viewers' perspectives while being treated as virtually non-existent in others'.  Personally, I've never seen a noticeable disparity in attention given to any of the kids on either show, despite watching many times specifically in sincere attempts to see what others' keep talking about.  I honestly just don't pick up anything that seems out of the ordinary to me when it comes to the overall amount of attention given to each child, when taken as an average over time.

Finally. while I try really hard not to nitpick the parents on these shows, for many reasons, I can't help but feel uncomfortable by all the over-sharing  of very personal and potentially negative information about the girls we've seen this season in particular.  Jennifer and Bill (and yes, I kind of am a fan of The Little Couple) would never reveal things about their kids such as detailed performance evaluations from school, what amounted to a therapy appointment re a potential mental health issue, and so on.  In fact, Jennifer and Bill even refuse to air (or discuss much, for that matter) the staple item of these shows - potty training.

IMHO, some things are private and should not be offered up as public fodder, whether you choose to live your life out on tv or not.  And my final thought is that try as I might to not over-analyze it, I get freaking stabby every time I hear Danielle call Riley the "bad one."  I find that a very stupid thing to say whether she does or doesn't misbehave, which I think is the word Danielle is actually going for, but I don't find her one bit less well-behaved than any of the others.  In fact, not only does Riley seem to be just as well-behaved as the rest, she's also spunky, engaged, so sharp and always observing what's going on around her, and a very loving little girl.  And yes, I am 100% a fan of Miss Riley.  🙂

Edited by SabineElisabeth
  • Love 8

Poor Riley, she can't catch a break. Tonight we were informed that Riley whines all the time. So now she is bad whiny Riley. They were probably on their 24th take of the same scene-Riley was tired and wanted production to wrap already. Later the twins take their beds apart at 3 AM and they aren't labeled the bad kids. Poor Riley.

• Love 9
(edited)

The labels they've already attached to Riley and Parker make me sad.

Tonight's episode was all about Riley and Parker: Riley is whiny, Parker is anxious. 🙄

I'll fully admit that whiny children drive me insane. However, she is no different from the other quints. They're 3 and 3 year olds whine. 

Parker's anxiety already seems like a bother to them... Not because she has it but because this means that she's somehow unable to keep up with her sisters. Instead of adapting to Parker, and helping her along, they expect her to adapt.

There were probably plenty of other (more enjoyable) moments TLC could've chosen to capture and share but instead they choose to single out a child. Brilliant. 

LOL at Adam admitting that there was an argument about the potential move. That squashed their ability to convince us that there are no 'passionate discussions' between them.

Yet another episode where we discuss Hazel's sight. I adore Hazel, but do we need a repeat of the same episodes every week? Mimi is flighty, Adam and Danielle are stressed, Riley is bad, Dale is freaked out by the fact that five 3 year olds are within his vicinity, and Hazel's sight is a concern. 

Edited by GoldDustWoman.
Grammar
  • Love 4
(edited)

Trying to think of a nice way of saying this ever since the previews last week .. RE: Adam's job offer; the potential "move" to Dallas ...

There are some who can handle being the spouse of a high-power position, or high-demanding (in title or hours required) career person. Danielle is not one of those spouses. Adam is going to have to accept this - whether its his little business or even a job working for someone else, will always have limit placed by Danielle. 

If Adam was a million$ sports athlete or a high-ranking CEO, where money was no longer an issue,  for their children & even their grand-children, Danielle would not be happy. 

I don't even think should would be happy if Adam had a job like a Dr, or even a fire-fighter, as they work different shifts - like 12 hr days or 3 days on, 3 days off.

Last season Adam's father mentioned he's had his job for 40 years. I don't think Danielle would be happy, with that, as I'm sure there were days/weeks/months/years the job responsibility  had to be first.

She wants her man to work and take care of the bills, when he can work, but being home for her & family (and I think that includes her extended family), is THE most important. She must approve and almost to the point of dictating his work schedule and career choices. At first I thought she would be happy for Adam to work a 9-5 , but now it sounds like she doesn't want that. She like having him at home with extremely flexible schedule & hours.

All of this makes me think it is more about her, more so than the kids; what in 12 mths they will be in school all day.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 9
(edited)
5 hours ago, BookElitist said:

Sorry, but ole Buzz is the one who 'wanted to be home more for the family’ . If Adam wants to do Dallas, that will happen because he’s a petulant egoist. And, what Buzz wants, he whines and unfurls his Depression to get.

Edited by BookElitist
  • Love 5

Poor Parker. In this family, being an introvert means there’s something wrong with you and you need to be fixed. 

I honestly can’t look at Adam and his googly wide eyes anymore, or listen to his irritating whining. I’ll take Riley over him any day. 

• Like 1
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, druzy said:

Actually Danielle looks out of place on the picture b/c she is not dressed like a princess.  she really doesn't need to be in every picture with the girls

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Maya said:

Poor Parker. In this family, being an introvert means there’s something wrong with you and you need to be fixed. 

I honestly can’t look at Adam and his googly wide eyes anymore, or listen to his irritating whining. I’ll take Riley over him any day. 

Me either.  The way he looks while talking to the camera.....IDK....I can't take it anymore.  I might check around here to read comments, but, I think I'm done with it. 

• Like 1
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, sATL said:

Actually Danielle looks out of place on the picture b/c she is not dressed like a princess.  she really doesn't need to be in every picture with the girls

But then she wouldn't be able to have Adam tell everyone that her figure is just as hot as princesses and she's the one that gave birth to 6 kids! ::eyeroll::

• LOL 1
  • Love 7