Type keyword(s) to search

OutDaughtered - General Discussion

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot

Snark the show, not each other.  Civility matters. If a poster's posts routinely annoy you, please use the Ignore feature.  Hover over their user name and you will see a popup with an ignore option.

• Start Topic

When the doctor came to the waiting room he asked them to sit down and they had startled looks on their faces. TLC cut away immediately for drama and a tease. When they came back from the commercial his words were, "Surgery went well". The "Please, sit down" and immediate cut was what made it look so dramatic.

My niece's friend has the same condition as Hazel but hers was never corrected. She's 40 yrs old so perhaps they didn't have that technology then. She turns her head and looks thru the outside edge of her eyes. She is legally blind but can drive with a small magnifier attached to her glasses.

• Love 1

I'm so happy for little Hazel.  She was an angel in all the footage that they showed at the hospital and then while recuperating at home .  My kids are older, but I fondly remember those days of just holding the babies and snuggling with them.  Sigh.

They are definitely not hurting for money if they go to a fancy dress shop for Blayke for her 1st day of kindergarten.  I got a lot of my kids' clothes at Kohl's and Target. 

• Love 2

They are definitely not hurting for money if they go to a fancy dress shop for Blayke for her 1st day of kindergarten.  I got a lot of my kids' clothes at Kohl's and Target. 

I'm sure the fancy dress shop or TLC paid for the dress! The kids are always dressed in outfits that look like the tags were just cut off. It was the same for the Jon and Kate kids. 

TLC probably provides the wardrobe for filming.

• Love 1

I'm really on the fence about this show.  For starters, Danielle is kind of mean and condescending to Adam sometimes.  She's often dismissive of him and it makes me feel sorry for him.  His constant deer-in-the-headlights expression doesn't help either.  The whole Mimi Moves In storyline and all of the hijinx that ensued feel very contrived ("Oh no, she's using my hair dryer!").  As for Mimi's complaints about how "it never stops" when she knowingly moved into a house with five babies, give me a break, lady.  What did you think you would be doing/hearing/seeing every single day?  If she moved in because of financial troubles and is in good health, I would hope to God that she'd feel some responsibility to help out!  Also, I wish producers of these reality shows about babies would please get it through their heads that a good portion of their viewers have no interest in watching babies projectile vomit all over themselves.  I mean, I'm a mom, too, so I get it, but it's just . . . unnecessary.  And really, really gross.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 2

The bra moment and hairdryer thing were totally staged. But I kind of don't care. I overall like this family and I'm just like - "film a couple silly scenes and bank some money for the girls' future". 

• Love 5

I was glad the vomit was just a small part of the show.  Surprisingly, just two babies were sick seeing as how the one baby (I think Riley) stole the bottle from the other baby.  I thought it was hilarious when Adam scolded the bottle stealer and she babbled something at him and walked away.

It was also hilarious when the babies just started coming in when Danielle was writing that speech and Adam was trying to get them out.

Okay on to my complaint.  The kids are always dressed pretty nice even for home and then at a public event with chair covers they are wearing things almost like bathing suits, I guess rompers.  IDK it bugged me because rompers are just so casual.  They didn't need fancy dresses but they could have just worn those outfits they barfed on, those were nicer. 

• Love 2

The show should be reduced to just 1/2 hour episodes, with no manufactured drama and filler, especially with Mimi.  Just show us some cute stuff with the babies and Blayke.

The kids are always dressed pretty nice even for home and then at a public event with chair covers they are wearing things almost like bathing suits, I guess rompers.

Those outfits were hideous and just not appropriate for the event.  Didn't Kate Gosselin get Gymboree to give her clothes when the kids were little?  When those kids were little they always had the most adorable clothes.

• Love 1

Overall I like this family.  They seem pretty laid back.  Adam's personal grooming routine makes me chuckle.  I think Mimi thinks she is quirky and that it's cute.  She does step up to help, but she bugs me.

• Love 1

When Mimi gave that smile to Adam while she was pinning up her bras, Adam could see Danielle in 20 years. They have the exact same expressions!

As for Adam, from the neck down he's got it going on, but now I know what butterface means. Or should I say but-his-face. That deer in the headlights look is just awful.

They seem a happy couple though.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, MoreCoffeePlease said:

Those outfits were hideous and just not appropriate for the event.  Didn't Kate Gosselin get Gymboree to give her clothes when the kids were little?  When those kids were little they always had the most adorable clothes.

I agree that they were hideous and not appropriate, but I do have to say that they are SO Texas. I have friends who dress their babies in similar for formal occasions and it always confuses me. I bet most of the people at that event didn't bat an eye at the outfit. I didn't grow up in the South and little girls clothing is something that still baffles me!

I was wondering about the preschool that they were sending the quints to. I'm guessing they were about 18 months old when this was filmed and all needed to be walking in order to attend this school. The director said it wasn't a daycare center but I'm not familiar with any preschools that have classes for children that young. My kids are both in college and went to one year of preschool at age 4. I didn't see the name of the school listed either.

It was funny watching Adam and his dad putting the playset together. Good Lord, 800 pieces? My husband is pretty handy but I think would have balked at trying to take that on by himself or even with one other guy. It looks like it cost over $4000 too. I must be old since we got our swig set for our kids at a Lowe's and it was probably $300 about 18 years ago. It was medal, had 2 swings, a plastic riding car, slide and monkey bar. 

It seems like preschool is getting younger and younger. I homeschool my kids and they've never been to a daycare or preschool or anything. I have no issues with it, but it seems like 18 months is a bit young. If you CAN be home with your kids at that time, why not be? My sister and her husband both have to work. Her inlaws love to help watching the kids, but all day every day is a bit much. So my niece (who is now 2) has been going to a preschool a few days a week for about a year now. It's actually a really cool school and they have these LITTLE kids planting and working in a garden! I love to see her posts about the stuff they do there. But I know if my sister could have her home with her, she would. 

I don't see why they couldn't just go to the kiddie gym and play groups and such if they wanted to get out more. But that place looked pretty cool. The staff seemed very earnest and sweet. So hey, whatever works for you. 

That playset looked like an absolute freaking nightmare. I would hire someone to build that shit. Hell. No. 

• Love 3

I'm a little concerned that the parents are so upset at the thought of the quints being apart.  Their reaction to Hazel not being able to join the rest of them at the preschool and the fact that they are ALWAYS dressed alike makes me worry that they will forever be treated as "the quints" and not as individuals.

I don't know how things work in Texas, but in California all five of the babies would have been evaluated early on (since they were preemies) and given physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, etc. as needed.  Hazel would already be getting therapy.  She is obviously developmentally delayed; whether she will catch up or not is anyone's guess, but her best chance is if she gets the services she needs.

• Love 5

This whole daycare thing really bothered me.  Those babies were barely a year old (they just had their birthday a couple episodes ago).  Way too early for daycare, they were clearly the youngest children there.   I don't like it a bit.  I really don't see the need to get them out of the house that young when it clearly isn't necessary due to Danielle having to go to work or something.  But that's just me.  mmv

• Love 3

I actually don't have an issue with the babies spending a bit of time each week in a quality daycare.  It allows them to socialize with other children and develop an identity beyond being "one of the quints."  Perhaps more importantly, it gives Danielle a chance to catch her breath for a couple of hours two days a week so she can be the best possible mom to all of the kids.  I'm not the biggest fan of hers, but I can't begin to imagine how it must feel every single day when each of the five babies are crying at the same time for whatever reason.  That will take a toll on a mom over time, especially now that all of the babies are mobile and developing personalities.  I'm saying all of this as a mom who mourned when I had to return to work when my daughter was four-months-old.  I would have killed to stay home with her for at least the first three years, but it just wasn't possible financially.  And I only have one!

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6

It won't hurt them to spend a little time away from Mommy.  Plus, there are studies that show that kids who spend time in daycare, while they may initially get sick a little more, have stronger immune systems by the time they reach school age.

Learning how to share toys with others, and not just their siblings.  All good things.

• Love 6

I wonder if Mimi might have a drinking problem.  Not sure why, but I get that impression from her.  And the fact that she apparently lost her job and had NO money saved, had to sell the house and most of her belongings, etc.  Something's not quite right.  It's obvious that her daughters care about her, though.

• Love 3

I think Mimi probably is more tired because she isn't young anymore.  I know when I had my own kid I wasn't tired at all but before that my niece was exhausting.  IDK when the kids are your own you just roll with it.

I think it is probably good for Danielle to get a break from all five.  Since they likely pay for baby sitters anyway, nursery school is probably a better option as it will allow the girls to play with other kids too.  I think it would be great if they kept just four spots and rotated the kids so that every couple of weeks each girl got a mommy/daughter few hours all to themselves.  With such a large family it will probably always be challenge to have really individual one-on-one time.

Okay investing in a gym idea.  Maybe Texas is different but it is a hard industry to maintain solid income, at least in my area. 

Edited by fountain
  • Love 5

I've always wondered what kind of teacher Mimi was and after the episode tonight, I really wonder.  She said she'd taught school for 25 years, for some unknown reason she has no job now (something was said previously about no contract.  I wonder if she taught in a private, possibly Christian, school) and she's interviewing at the nursery school/daycare that the quints attend.  Something is fishy with her story.  A teacher with a 25 year history should have built up quite a bit of tenure and should have had no problem keeping a job or finding a new one - if she left w/good references.  But she's applying for a job where the pay would be very low compared to what she was previously making.   hmmm

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, rayndon said:

I've always wondered what kind of teacher Mimi was and after the episode tonight, I really wonder.  She said she'd taught school for 25 years, for some unknown reason she has no job now (something was said previously about no contract.  I wonder if she taught in a private, possibly Christian, school) and she's interviewing at the nursery school/daycare that the quints attend.  Something is fishy with her story.  A teacher with a 25 year history should have built up quite a bit of tenure and should have had no problem keeping a job or finding a new one - if she left w/good references.  But she's applying for a job where the pay would be very low compared to what she was previously making.   hmmm

I wonder if her 25 year teaching experience WAS as a pre-school teacher. They have never said what grade or type of school she taught at, or if she has a credential. But It would be hard to earn enough to own your own home on a pre-school teacher's pay. I'm not sure she has the personality, stamina, or skills to be a traveling mentor teacher. I agree, something's fishy.

Edited by Love2dance
Double word

It hasn't been discussed on the show, but Danielle has some kind of home business selling makeup and beauty products (found this out from seeing her Facebook page). She'd probably like all 5 in the preschool in order to help her not only get a break and catch up on chores but also to focus on her business.

I'm not sure investing $100,000 into a business you don't really know much about is a good idea. My cousin invested $75,000 into a beauty salon and lost it all within 2 years, even with working there full time and not taking a regular salary. I'd be very nervous about borrowing that money against my mortgage. 

I suspect that Mimi was either a preschool teacher or teacher's aide. In many districts after 25 years, a teacher can retire and collect a pension. Maybe her previous employer didn't think her performance was as good as it was previously and she was laid off. I don't think we'll find out more to that story. One question I have is : Has Danielle's father been mentioned at all? I don't know if he's deceased or if maybe he's remarried and lives elsewhere. 

I feel like they are being less than honest with us about a lot of things. I mean, I know reality TV is not reality, but this goes beyond scripted. It's like they are hiding things about their financial state. I'm double-income-no-kids and I don't have $100K to invest in anything. Their lifestyle is suspiciously luxurious for people with 6 kids. They keep saying Danielle is home alone with the kids and I don't think that's logistically possible. She has got to have a housekeeper and other help to keep up with everything and not be completely wrecked. They both obviously have the time to work out, and you never hear the kids interrupt couch interviews. When the hell does she have time to grocery shop if she's home alone? They travelled extensively before the kids which costs money. When do they have time for a makeup business and a blog if Adam works full-time? It just doesn't add up, even with the show income. I agree, Mimi's story is strange and why no mention of Danielle's dad? I'm starting to think he was killed and they got some huge financial settlement as a result.

I gotta call bullshit on this picture they're painting. I like them in general and I don't care if they have help, I just don't want to be lied to. Until then there is gonna be speculation.

edited to add: did she actually tell Blayke to dump the food on the carpet for the quints? 

Edited by SongbirdHollow
and another thing...
  • Like 1
  • Love 5

I just started the latest episode and it's getting harder and harder to like this family. The episode started with immediately talking about how expensive the quints are. Of that I have no doubt. But I also don't think you have much room to talk when all 6 of your girls are continuously decked out in boutique designer dresses and rompers, you live in a mansion, and drive what is basically a bus. Here my husband and I are with our two kids struggling to pay daycare each month, both of us working full time, squeezing two car seats into subcompact cars because they're paid for and we can't take on a car payment, and the only boutique outfit my daughters have seen was gifted at Christmas by Nana. My husband and I have it good compared to a lot of people. The Busby's have it REAL good so it ticks me off to hear them lamenting on how much money they spend.

• Love 8

Money is always a tricky thing with these shows, because you can't break the 4th wall. I think production likes them to talk about money issues, because that's one of the "interesting" things about a family with multiples. "How much do you spend in diapers per week?" They think the viewers love that shit. 

In reality, they probably got lots of freebies. We know they got donations from their church. And the show is paying them. I don't know if it really all adds up, and I'm not sure what exactly Adam does still. But there is clearly, to me, a lot of money/free stuff that they just can't really talk about. 

I didn't think they were saying they just had $100,000 laying around to invest. Adam mentioned they'd have to take a 2nd mortgage on the house - which is a colossally stupid idea. I hope that was just something thrown in there to add more discussion to the "money" themed episode. 

The jury is still out on these people for me. If they just do a few seasons and make some savings for the girls, but pull the plug before they're old enough to be embarrassed on camera, I'll be happy. I do like how Danielle really seems to stress that it's okay for the girls to be individuals and do things in their own time. I, honestly, think she is just a really positive, easy going person. My youngest sister is like that. She's the kind of person multiples are made for. NOT a high strung woman like Kate Gosselin. 

• Love 4

All 5 in nursery school does make sense if Danielle has a business.  I think that is good she gets her own time to work on that.  Personally I feel women are often in a risky position in marriages where they stay home for years.  In the cases of those on shows like this it doesn't really matter as Danielle is earning an income from the show and with all girl Quints she has potential publicity future income. So while the time home with your kids may be priceless that doesn't really matter if you cannot provide for your family in the event of death, disability or divorce.  They can buy insurance for two but not the last one.

I kind of wished the financial planner talked more about their current financial risk -like does Adam have enough insurance if he gets sick/hurt, what happens if Danielle gets sick/hurt, can she get non-income based insurance like critical illness?   Instead of the college costs, college costs are not the priority right now.

• Love 1

I was glad to see that Hazel is finally getting PT. It just seems like she should have gotten it a while ago though, as she is definitely developmentally deplayed, and now is the time to work on it. I didn't like that her mother was using bits of food as a reward though. She is having balance problems it looks like, that go hand in hand with her eye condition. 

• Love 4

Hazel doesn't seem to catch a break so hopefully her eye surgery will jump start her catching up with her sisters.

Adam's welling up when talking about Hazel's "underdog" status is something every parent can relate to when the harsh reality of one of your babies is not cutting the mustard hits home.

Less Mimi drama, please.

• Love 5

I'm thinking Mimi was a teacher's aide or preschool teacher, too.  I expected her to say what grade she taught in the interview, but no mention was made. I don't understand why she would want to work at that preschool.  She is already exhausted by the quints--how is it better to be with even more children all day long?

Hazel reminds me of my cousin's son.  He has multiple developmental problems.  He is now seven and my cousin is having trouble with the school system.  She may have to put him in a special school.

• Love 1

I didn't think they were saying they just had $100,000 laying around to invest. Adam mentioned they'd have to take a 2nd mortgage on the house - which is a colossally stupid idea.

Of course, to take out a second mortgage they would have to have $100,000 equity in the house, which would surprise me.  I really really hope they don't make that investment.  Too risky.

• Love 1

I'm sure that the Busby's make plenty of money per episode, so it seems really fake for them to keep talking about financial woes. They were able to afford a giant house that is much nicer than mine, and I make decent money. Kate Gosselin and her kids have been on tv off and on for years because they want the free trips and the income.  The Busby's will try to do the same thing if they can. 

There are several things that bug me about this show. The first one is Adam and Danielle's stupidity about Hazel. It has been obvious from the outset that she has developmental problems, and yet they hadn't even considered occupational therapy until now. And, even stupider, Danielle still didn't want it during this last episode! Hazel should have started working with an OT when she was a tiny infant. Maybe some of her siblings can use therapy too, but we know THAT'S not going to happen.

Mimi is annoying, but Danielle is worse. She was awful to Adam during this episode, and I really felt bad for him. He earns the money, so if he wants to buy a drone, let him! In addition to flying it for fun, he wants to use it to take pictures of the kids. He can post the photos to increase their fan base, which is all good (including financially). Plus, he enjoys photography. Why doesn't she want him to have a hobby? I think we know the answer to this: it's all about who has the power in their relationship.

And then there's Danielle's impulsive desire to open a cycling center. She doesn't know anything about the demographics of the area -- whether the center is something the community wants. (I personally can't stand spin class, so if I lived there, I would never set foot in the building). Adam really needs to do his homework before investing in something so pricey.

I can see some cracks forming in their marriage. I'm not digging Danielle very much at the moment, and I wonder if Adam feels the same way. If Danielle continues to try to control Adam, he will become more and more rebellious. She needs to back off and let him enjoy life.

Edited by Dominii
  • Love 2

I'm sure that the Busby's make plenty of money per episode

You might be surprised at how little people make when they start a reality show.  If it is successful, the price goes up each season, but it's still not huge.  Also, I'd be willing to bet that no one besides Danielle and Adam got paid the first season; this year Mimi is probably getting a paycheck but it wouldn't be big (think $1,000/episode).  Also, TLC can air the shows endlessly but there are no residuals paid.

Well, camom, that does surprise me! Maybe they're getting money from other sources. Maybe he makes a lot at his job. Perhaps they're living way beyond their means.  All I know is what I see on the show. They're living pretty well.

49 minutes ago, Dominii said:

Mimi is annoying, but Danielle is worse. She was awful to Adam during this episode, and I really felt bad for him. He earns the money, so if he wants to buy a drone, let him! In addition to flying it for fun, he wants to use it to take pictures of the kids. He can post the photos to increase their fan base, which is all good (including financially). Plus, he enjoys photography. Why doesn't she want him to have a hobby? I think we know the answer to this: it's all about who has the power in their relationship.

I could see both sides of the drone thing. I didn't like how she just lit into him in front of company (and on camera!), but I think I would be peeved as well. I don't know how much drones are, but they're fairly new technology, so I'm assuming not cheap. My husband is the only one bringing in an income, but he consults me before big purchases. I do the same, especially if it's not something that's "necessary". They're still getting hospital bills and he brings a fancy, new toy home. Don't get me wrong, there's way worse things a husband can do, but I could totally empathize with her frustration. She just should have waited until later to address it. 

• Love 3

There is no way she should have confronted him in front of friends.  He wasn't pissed because of the money.  He was pissed because it was done in front of friends.  Not cool.  You can get a really nice drone with a hi-def camera for less than $200, leave him alone bitch.  I give them 2 years TOPS, before they're separated.

Homes in some parts of Texas aren't that expensive.  I bet their home didn't even cost $350,000.

If Mimi owned her home outright, she shouldn't be "another mouth to feed" as she said, she should be contributing to the household as well, since she has money.

Why on earth was Danielle letting the babies paint in the living room?  I could see drops of paint on the baseboard where it wasn't covered up.  WTF was she thinking?  Did I miss something?  I did leave the room for a moment, and I came back and they were painting.  Why?

Edited by Honey
  • Love 1

I had the idea from somewhere that Adam was in the oil business somehow (which can be lucrative), but looking at his LinkedIn he's an account manager and outside sales rep for an IT company. Interestingly, he has only a HS diploma.

As far as the drone goes, that was 100% manufactured drama. Danielle was practically reading from cue cards.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Not a good idea to invest in the cycling center. As the husband said, none of them have any experience in this area. Also, how compatible would the three couples be working/investing together? That could go bad really quickly. I don't see how they can even consider taking out a $100,000 second mortgage and think it is a smart idea. I hope it is just a ridiculous storyline for the show.

what does the husband do for a living? I don't really understand these families who are lucky enough to have one healthy child, but then resort to extreme measures to have more children. I would just be so happy for the one I had and not risk a multiple birth situation.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

What I really like about Danielle is that they are normal parents.  I love that they shake treats on the floor and that the one daughter ate that food off the nursery school floor and no one freaks out.  I am a cheerios on the floor mom.

I think that Adam is in sales. He probably makes six figures, professional  sales people make good money. The house was actually pretty cheap, someone here said around $400k, which is what my house is worth and mine is 1/4 the size of theirs.  Man I am jealous of the cheap Texas housing.

• Love 1

Why on earth was Danielle letting the babies paint in the living room?  I could see drops of paint on the baseboard where it wasn't covered up.  WTF was she thinking?  Did I miss something?  I did leave the room for a moment, and I came back and they were painting.  Why?

I was never really crafty or artistic with my kids ... to me this was INSANE!!!  Not only could the house get destroyed, now you need to bath each child and wash all of those clothes, unless she was just going to throw the clothes out.  I know it isn't 'real', and I hope to heaven that production helped her afterwards, but seriously.  That was ridiculous, as was taking the kids to a restaurant.  If I were a restaurant owner, I don't know if I would allow it.

• Love 1

I wonder how the ratings are for this show. It seems like they have a decent following and there are enough interesting storylines to keep it going for at least another season. A few years ago, there was another Texas family that had quintuplets and an older sister (Quints by Surprise) that was cancelled after 2 seasons. Probably not enough drama to keep it going on a regular basis. Maybe the Busbys have found that balance and will stay on the air a little longer than the Jones family did.

As for their lifestyle, it appears Adam does have a very good paying job and Danielle used to work full time plus this side business that she has selling high end makeup/skincare products. Her sister has her own high end hair salon. I'm starting to wonder if maybe her father passed away and left his daughters each quite a bit of money, enough for them to all go into business for themselves. Possibly, he was divorced from Danielle's mom and that's why she doesn't have any money now. 

Someone upthread mentioned why the quints are all dressed alike. Other than for tv, I wonder if she really does that all of the time. It would make it easier to spot the girls if they're out in public, especially as they become more mobile. The only downside to this is that they may decide that they want to dress alike all of the time in a year or two and it might be hard to get 5 of the same outfit when shopping. But they will eventually outgrow this, probably long before they are teens. 

2 hours ago, CarolMK said:

A few years ago, there was another Texas family that had quintuplets and an older sister (Quints by Surprise) that was cancelled after 2 seasons.

YES!  I'm a sucker for these shows so of course I watched that and wondered what happened.  It is only really cute and interesting to me when the kids are babies and toddlers.  I'm embarrassed to admit how long I stuck with Kate Plus 8, but I did finally give that up this past year.

On 12/21/2016 at 2:18 PM, humbleopinion said:

Flashbacks of Kate berating Jon when Danielle was chastising Adam over the drone.

I have a feeling Danielle is the adult in the relationship and Adam is the Peter Pan that will never really grow up.  It probably worked well when they were childless and then only had their one daughter, but I think the cracks are starting to form.  I get the feeling Adam needs a lot of attention, and he's one of those husbands that will never get that life has changed and his wife has to put the kids first while there are so many and they are so young.  He's another kid she's got to deal with.  Adam gives me a total fray boy vibe, though, so I'm prejudiced against him.  I just see a scandal with strippers and coke in the future - lol

Edited by tobeannounced
  • Like 1
  • Love 4

Danielle has Adam locked down pretty tight...

He works with his brothers in laws, has a locator on his phone and am sure she put some kind of parental control on his smart phone so he can't access any "pay for sex play" sites.

If the producers don't drop the "nagging Danielle" and "Adam is the oldest child" theme, I gotta leave the show even though I am still rooting for Hazel.

• Love 3

I am absolutely for the quints going into a childcare program. It gives their mom a much-needed break and it allows them to socialize which is extremely important for multiples.

I don't know why, but I just don't care for the parents on this show. Something about them just rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 5