Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Episode 7

• Start Topic

I think they used that song,  so that later in the episode,  Barbara could call Tom "Tiger", and it would be a funny callback to the song. 

I was glad that we finally got some Patsy/Delia scenes,  and that they went to a club where they could dance instead of just sneaking around Nonnotous House. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I had never heard that song before but I thought it was just awful.

IMHO, there were a lot of awful songs in that era, arguably; we've had to endure many on previous Call the Midwife episodes.  Yet I don't believe our community has ever put so much energy into song critique.

I think what made this song so especially cringe-worthy, and sparked so many comments, was that our minds had no choice but to focus either on the awful music or the raunchy sexual innuendo (please tell me those were simulated and not actual moans.)  We were left feeling violated by both the music and the innuendo.

This song reminded me of an equally awful song played by Dylan on Modern Family: "I Want to Do You." Phil says to Luke afterwards, "We all need a shower."

If only a shower would wick that moaning out of my ears...

Edited by MaryHedwig
  • Love 2

Here's the review from allmusic.com for Teach Me Tiger:

"Teach Me Tiger! represents some kind of absurd apotheosis in post-Julie London pop seduction -- April Stevens' vocals are so breathy that one can't help but wonder whether the poor girl spent the recording session hooked up to a respirator machine. Calculated naughtiness that's ultimately as innocent as a lamb, the album luxuriates in the double entendres and nudge-nudge-wink-wink eroticism of a simpler time."

Yeah, not hanging my head in shame btw. - I find the song funny and not the least bit awful for exactly the reasons stated here. YMMV - ultimately I think craziness is right: they chose the song simply so that Barbara could call Tom 'Tiger'.

• Love 6

The DJs certainly didn't play that song in the deep South, not even New Orleans. I was a little girl then, but my teenage cousins played pop music constantly. I'm kind of startled that a record label would have released it.

I wasn't offended by the accompanying scene. Tom and Barbara have healthy sexual appetites, yet at that time they were very constrained in what they could do about it. I dated a liberal Presbyterian minister in the late 1980s and even then we had to sneak around at the rectory. I did perceive a lack of chemistry between the two actors, and combined with the weird music, the scene was awkward for me.

I laughed a little at the usually serene, loving Sister Julienne throwing shade at Shelagh during their chat with Dr. Turner.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MissLucas said:

ultimately I think craziness is right: they chose the song simply so that Barbara could call Tom 'Tiger'.

I think  it would have been even simpler if she  had just bought him a box of Frosties ;)

• Love 1
(edited)

My objection is that CTM used a joke (the hair grease spot on the wall) stolen from the Eddie Murphy movie Coming to America. It was my immediate thought when I saw it. Okay, maybe not theft: homage? :)

Edited by attica
spel gud
  • Love 2

My grandfather used some sort of brill cream on his hair.  My grandmother hated it because he would fall asleep in his chair and his head fell against the wall leaving a stain.  She would put throw pillows, towels and even tin foil to prevent the tell tale mark. 

Brilliantine!  I don't know if that's generic or a trade name.  My grandma had antimacassars on upholstered furniture too, but she called them 'doilies'. 

Top Brass was another hair cream for men -- the scent was quite distinctive.  Women had Dippity-Do -- an early form of gel -- but men didn't use it.  It would have worked well for those pompadour styles, keeping the ducktail in place. 

Trixie is so pretty -- such gorgeous skin.  When she was sharing her experience at the AA meeting, the men were enthralled. 

Grandpa was 6'4'' tall so the antimacassars or doilies did not work because his head was above the back of his chair.

I got in so much trouble when I was 4 years old.  I used an entire jar of Dippity-Do to make my hair look pretty like mommy's. 

• Love 4

We were left feeling violated by both the music and the innuendo.

While I would never defend the quality of the song in question (because it was kinda lousy), I wouldn't say I felt violated.  I didn't particularly like it but I didn't hate it either.  Although I do agree that it didn't actually suit Barbara and Tom - to me it was more of a Fred and Violet song.

• Love 4
(edited)
21 hours ago, MissLucas said:

I'm starting to feel embarrassed that I was familiar with the song and laughed when it started playing!

Not me! I started laughing like a hyena when it came on. Mr. Snaxx shared that song on one of our first dates when we were yakking about our respective youth's music. He was 11 when it came out. 

ETA: The song from my 11th year? December 1963 (Oh What a Night). So many incredibly squicky pop songs about learning The Sex!

Edited by heavysnaxx
  • Love 2
21 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

I had thought that the nuns, despite being midwives, would have been 100% against the pill. But then I realized something which I hadn't thought of in all the the time I've been watching this show..these nuns aren't Catholic. The Catholic church was 100% against all forms of contraception, and I'm not sure they've come around even today. But of course these nuns are Anglican.

I was confirmed Episcopalian, which is, more or less, the American version of Anglican. And I remember being shocked to discover that there were Episcopal nuns. Though it always seemed odd to have celibate nuns when the clergy are allowed to marry. I've been a Lutheran for more than 40 years now, but in my mind I still think nuns=Catholic.  I do know that the Episcopal church has been in the forefront on things like ordaining woman priests and having LGBT clergy as well, and were probably ahead of the time where contraception is concerned. 

Concern that the pill would encourage premarital sex, by making it too easy, is something that I can see the nuns worrying about. Of course, when the pill first came out in the US, girls had to lie to their doctors about menstrual pain in order to get it prescribed. Eventually it became available at places like Planned Parenthood, and it truly was an easy and affective alternative, except for the side effects.  

But if one accepts the reality that young girls are going to have sex whether or not contraception is easy and/or available, it seems much wiser (to me) to have it be both. I can see that being a hard pill, so to speak, for sister Julia to swallow. 

In my experience (in the US), the Episcopal church is quite liberal. Back in the late 80s, I volunteered as an HIV test counselor at the Washington Free Clinic that was located in an Episcopal rectory in NW DC. Once I realized the Nonnatus House nuns were Anglican, I was all, "Well, that makes sense." 

• Love 1
55 minutes ago, heavysnaxx said:

Not me! I started laughing like a hyena when it came on. Mr. Snaxx shared that song on one of our first dates when we were yakking about our respective youth's music. He was 11 when it came out. 

ETA: The song from my 11th year? December 1963 (Oh What a Night). So many incredibly squicky pop songs about learning The Sex!

My favorite line in Oh What a Night is "as I recall it ended much too soon" - which was surely written without considering what other meaning could be attributed to that line.

The song reminded me of "Love to love ya baby" a disco hit in the 70's - just as raunchy with the moaning and everything. But yeah, I agree Tom and Barbara seem more the Johnny Mathis type. But then, he's a cleric who unabashedly let his hands rove in the Nonnantus parlor. 

I thought Sister Julienne refusing the lemon puff(?) cookie for something plainer a little uncharacteristically sour. Then again, she wasn't getting anyone to say amen to her concerns.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, clanstarling said:

My favorite line in Oh What a Night is "as I recall it ended much too soon" - which was surely written without considering what other meaning could be attributed to that line.

The song reminded me of "Love to love ya baby" a disco hit in the 70's - just as raunchy with the moaning and everything. But yeah, I agree Tom and Barbara seem more the Johnny Mathis type. But then, he's a cleric who unabashedly let his hands rove in the Nonnantus parlor. 

I thought Sister Julienne refusing the lemon puff(?) cookie for something plainer a little uncharacteristically sour. Then again, she wasn't getting anyone to say amen to her concerns.

Could be the ol' Tiger Tune never hit me as hard as others because my late afternoon middle-school dances were during the disco days -- Love to Love Ya Baby in the gym with 12-year old boys reduces the music's, uh...sensuality? Rod Stewart's Tonight's the Night was another real winner. 

I laughed at Shelaigh still hitting the biscuits pretty hard in this episode -- but she and Dr. are doing great with the no-smoking thing.

• Love 1

From the recap:

Sister Julienne is afraid the availability of the Pill will lead to, I guess, rampant banging of unmarried people with no regard for the consequences. Dr. Turner stops short of asking Sister Julienne what she thinks has been going on so far in Poplar, and Shelagh swoops in to offer a lemon puff to smooth things over. Sister Julienne, now in Full Nun Mode, winces at the frivolity: "Isn't there anything...plainer?

I was ready for Sister Julienne to say, "Isn't there anything...with less testosterone?"

The way they are going, Barbara and Tom should either get married, or be prepared to use the Pill.  For a vicar and a vicar's daughter, they are pretty hot and heavy.

Perhaps that's why Tom was at the meeting concerning the Pill, and why Barbara chastised him afterwards about his lame comments; as a set-up for a future conversation between the two?

• Love 1

Perhaps that's why Tom was at the meeting concerning the Pill, and why Barbara chastised him afterwards about his lame comments; as a set-up for a future conversation between the two?

I wonder if we're gearing up for a Tom/Barb pregnancy scare. If Tom is such a tomcat, how did he manage to behave himself around Trixie?

I think he's more attracted to Barbara than Trixie. Or Trixie might not have been as receptive to That Sort of Behavior.

I continue to see a growing gulf between the lay staff at Nonnatus and the nuns, particularly Sister Julianne. Her reaction to the Pill was not something I had expected from her. Given how long she has spent working the East End, a place that has a 10% unwed pregnancy rate, I would have thought she'd have come to terms with the fact that humans have sexual desires and frequently act on them. Without being married! Oh the horror!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, anna0852 said:

Given how long she has spent working the East End, a place that has a 10% unwed pregnancy rate, I would have thought she'd have come to terms with the fact that humans have sexual desires and frequently act on them. Without being married! Oh the horror!

In fairness to the good Sister, the idea of a birth control pill had just been sprung on her. It was a stunning medical and scientific development at the time. When she has had time to reflect (and pray), she may well come to a different opinion about it.

• Love 1
(edited)

It's entirely possible that Tom and Trixie could have had make out sessions like that. The show just didn't show them. The Tom/Barbara scene was shown because it was relevant to the episode's theme, which was basically sexual desire among unmarried couples and the temptations and consequences of sex outside of marriage before the Pill.

As for Sister Julienne, she definitely seems to be struggling with change. I was surprised at her harsh comments toward Shelagh especially, since their friendship has been emphasized a lot on the show. I think Shelagh's taking her husband's side in this issue and then essentially deflecting discussion about it was another reminder of change. Sister J supported Shelagh's decision to leave the order, but now it seems like she's changed more than Sister J had expected. I don't think the Turners are really supporting an increase in casual sex--they seem to be more in the mindset that it's already happening and it causes a whole lot of trouble for women in that time period, so it's better to help them keep from getting pregnant rather than face the social stigma of being pregnant out of wedlock in 1961. For Sister J, though, this seems to be more change than she can deal with, at least for now. 

Edited by Beldasnoop
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Beldasnoop said:

I don't think the Turners are really supporting an increase in casual sex--they seem to be more in the mindset that it's already happening and it causes a whole lot of trouble for women in that time period, so it's better to help them keep from getting pregnant rather than face the social stigma of being pregnant out of wedlock in 1961.

It was my understanding that the oral contraceptive was only available to married women in Britain until the late sixties. And just through pharmacies, I believe. I think it would be some time before it was of any great use to single women.

• Love 1
On May 17, 2016 at 0:06 PM, AuntiePam said:

Trixie is so pretty -- such gorgeous skin.  When she was sharing her experience at the AA meeting, the men were enthralled. 

I was musing that Dr. Turner should show Trixie a smoker's blackened lungs from an autopsy, but then I thought telling her smoking's effect on the skin would make more of an impression on her. 

• Love 2
33 minutes ago, dustylil said:

It was my understanding that the oral contraceptive was only available to married women in Britain until the late sixties. And just through pharmacies, I believe. I think it would be some time before it was of any great use to single women.

Yes, but in the episode, they were talking about how there weren't any guidelines yet because the pill hadn't been officially released. They didn't know at this point that it was going to be restricted. Sister J was OK with birth control for married couples. She said that in the conversation in Patrick's office. Her concern was that it would be made available to single women, which the Turners were advocating. Sister J seemed concerned that they weren't considering the moral implications (especially Shelagh, who in Sister J's eyes should know better), but the impression I had was that they were seeing it more as a way to prevent stigma for women who would have done it anyway. It wasn't "let's help start a sexual revolution!" It was more "we know the statistics. This happens and it's going to keep happening. We might as well help the women not get pregnant and risk being outcasts in society". 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Beldasnoop said:
8 hours ago, dustylil said:

Yes, but in the episode, they were talking about how there weren't any guidelines yet because the pill hadn't been officially released. They didn't know at this point that it was going to be restricted. Sister J was OK with birth control for married couples.

I think Dr. Turner also mentioned how in America it was prescribed for women who had trouble with their menstrual cycle? That is a way that a single woman with a cooperative doctor could get around any married women requirements.

• Love 1
(edited)

My mother's life was saved by the pill when they first came out. They required a pap smear, and she had cervical cancer (at the age of 36). She got the surgery, was cured, and lived into her 70's (which doesn't sound as old now that I'm in my 60's). So I am thankful for the pill for reasons that have nothing to do with birth control (though of course, I'm thankful for that too).

There's always been, and still is, a schism between those who see and accept what exists and are pragmatic about solutions, and those who are focused on what they think should be, and come up with sincere, but typically ineffective approaches. Those two types of people often have trouble understanding each other. I think that was shown pretty well.

That schism isn't just a religious one - but applies in all kinds of areas in life. Just ask the Mr. when we go head to head about how to handle a problem as mundane as how to deal with ants.

Edited by clanstarling
  • Love 8

With Tom and Barbara, I think I'd be more comfortable if we could just skip to the time when they're the comfy helpful vicarage couple in a village, possibly starring in a Miss Marple film adaptation. The actors don't have chemistry. Also, why for the love of Pete did Tom have to look for his next girlfriend at Nonnatus? I have to think that all the unmarried women in his parish would have been throwing themselves in his path. 

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, TheAnglican said:

why for the love of Pete did Tom have to look for his next girlfriend at Nonnatus? I have to think that all the unmarried women in his parish would have been throwing themselves in his path

I hate to be unkind (oh who am I kidding). However, I doubt a well educated man - even if he is a vicar - would be looking for a potential wife among the denizens of poverty-ridden Poplar and its surrounding neighbourhoods, however much they might  hurl themselves at him. He would likely be interested in finding a woman of some education with the ability to take on the responsibilities of a clergyman's spouse.

• Love 5
On 5/19/2016 at 0:36 AM, LittleIggy said:

I was musing that Dr. Turner should show Trixie a smoker's blackened lungs from an autopsy, but then I thought telling her smoking's effect on the skin would make more of an impression on her. 

Oh can you imagine - she's already given up drinking (for valid reasons), now Dr. T puts a fear of smoking in her?  She'll either become an even more annoying fitness guru than she already is or she'll start climbing the walls looking for something she can use as a nervous habit.  She won't turn to food but a chewing gum addiction wouldn't be unrealistic.  Either way Trixie quitting smoking would likely drive everyone else at Nonnatus house crazy.

• Love 3
On 5/16/2016 at 6:51 PM, elle said:

I do wish they had shown the walk down the flight of stairs in the dark for Nurse Crane and the family. 

I saw it, unfortunately. The mom got sick. Twice! I can deal with the childbirth stuff but that I have to close my eyes for.

Though it was before my time, I am familiar with that "Teach me Tiger" song. Wah wah wah wah wah. I think because of Marilyn Monroe's cover.  I remember LMAO the first time I'd heard it, and it had the same effect this time around. I can't believe it ever stirred sexual passions in anyone.

• Love 1
On May 16, 2016 at 6:57 AM, lordonia said:

Trixie has all the latest music! It seemed like Barbara had at least heard the song before since she choose it, but I'm for sure not interested in watching her sexual awakening if that was the point.

Lyrics to Teach Me Tiger by April Stevens

In an earlier season they played a bizarre and distracting song "you should never do a tango with an Eskimo" - I can't remember which episode now but it really pulled me out of the episode and I was very confused what those lyrics had to do with anything. Why can't you tango with an Eskimo? 

(edited)
On May 22, 2016 at 10:14 AM, clanstarling said:

Probably stirred the passions of men who loved infantilizing women.

Unrelated to this show but a great satire on that type of song, from the show Community: 

Edited by LeGrandElephant
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, LeGrandElephant said:

In an earlier season they played a bizarre and distracting song "you should never do a tango with an Eskimo" - I can't remember which episode now but it really pulled me out of the episode and I was very confused what those lyrics had to do with anything. Why can't you tango with an Eskimo? 

I didn't remember that song at all! I had to look it up. It's one of those "silly" songs which seemed quite popular in the American Pop scene back in the 1950s. It was written by Tommy Connor (a Brit) who also wrote "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", both presumably for the American market due to the Americanisms in both songs. It was released in 1955 and sung by Alma Cogan. Since the show's first season starts in 1957 the reason it was chosen might have been to highlight that silly songs were popular at that time of the show, or that Poplar / whom ever played it was not up on the newest Pop songs? If it was played once the show got into the '60s I can't come up with anything that would relate it to the show.

Here's Alma Cogan singing it.

24 minutes ago, Anothermi said:

I didn't remember that song at all! I had to look it up. It's one of those "silly" songs which seemed quite popular in the American Pop scene back in the 1950s. It was written by Tommy Connor (a Brit) who also wrote "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus", both presumably for the American market due to the Americanisms in both songs. It was released in 1955 and sung by Alma Cogan. Since the show's first season starts in 1957 the reason it was chosen might have been to highlight that silly songs were popular at that time of the show, or that Poplar / whom ever played it was not up on the newest Pop songs? If it was played once the show got into the '60s I can't come up with anything that would relate it to the show.

Here's Alma Cogan singing it.

I don't remember which episode it was since I've been marathoning the whole show, but I think it was at least a couple seasons ago. The lyrics were so strange but also catchy and well-enunciated so that it was distracting from the show, it got stuck in my head for awhile even though I hated it and was trying to figure out if it was racist or what - I just really don't get it at all. 

On 5/17/2016 at 9:07 AM, attica said:

My objection is that CTM used a joke (the hair grease spot on the wall) stolen from the Eddie Murphy movie Coming to America. It was my immediate thought when I saw it. Okay, maybe not theft: homage? 🙂

I thought of the same thing

It was so nice to have Sr Evangeline show up again. To hear her voice was just great.