Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E24: Family Affair

• Start Topic

Maggie didn't find out about Meredith and Nathan and then cry and talk about her sad vagina. I'm kinda disappointed.

They're saving it for the S13 premiere. Now you have a reason to tune in!

• Love 1

That was a lousy exit for Callie and I don't even like Callie. I honestly feel like she could've left last season. I can't think of one consequential thing she's done this season other than moon over that pointless dishrag Penny.

The idea that in a house with three surgeon who have been through the epic level of shit those three have wouldn't at least have one stocked modern doctor bag doesn't ring true to me but, it's not like Ben had time to search the bedrooms. (I keep all my emergency supplies by my bed.)

April's scream and shaking was brilliant acting but I found myself thinking that she should've been tied down. In no universe would a woman be able to endure a anesthesia-free caesarian without being restrained. 

The mess with Jo just...no. I doesn't make sense from either a character or a timeline perspective.

22 hours ago, arilliope said:

i wonder what jo's real name is.. 

What do you want to bet she took her fake name from her favorite book?  Luckily she didn't pick Amy (Amelia), or it would get a little confusing.

21 hours ago, sarkygal said:

We all called Jo's big secret, so no surprises there. Return of Ragey Alex is disappointing after seasons of maturity and growth.

In that moment I thought, hey maybe they're made for each other. 

21 hours ago, sarkygal said:

All summer and every other school year is not primary guardianship. Arizona's whole custody case hinged on the fact that moving Sofia to NY was not in the child's best interests. Reneging on that just to give SaRa a positive exit from the show is bad writing. and in real life, it's undermines the judge's ruling and Arizona's claim to sole physical custody. 

So no one would believe Callie would go to New York without Sofia - it wouldn't be true to her character.  Yet it's perfectly fine for Arizona to have allowed her child to leave her.  Sounds like they're sacrificing the character that's actually staying on the show, to protect the one that's leaving.  Go figure.

21 hours ago, DearEvette said:

Ha! Jo is shady as fuck.  Sure everybody suspected she was married, but the actual reveal feels worse somehow.  She lived an entire lie, didn't trust Alex enough to confide in him at all, tried to compound it by bafflingly offering to have a baby instead! (WTF?!?!) and then proceeds to finally confess ... but not to Alex, but to DeLuca.  Seriously?  This is some trifling shit right there.

I've never been a big Jo fan, but I haven't outright disliked her either.  It's like they think the fans of the show forget previous seasons.   Remember Jo explaining that her expensive watch had to do with her poverty stricken childhood?  Now it would seem it was a hold over from her rich husband.  And just how do you go from being homeless in your car to marrying a rich and influential man?  And she's so terrified of this man that she trembles in fear at the thought of him, yet beat down a man into a coma a few seasons ago.  And at that time, it was hinted that Jo had rage and violence issues.  But I guess it will now be PTSD that caused the entire thing.

It would take the government enrolling you in witness protection to allow changes of names on university transcripts, state licenses, change of social security, and to do it all without leaving a trace.  My guess is this is so sloppy because she'll be leaving the show.  But who knows?  I'm sure her violent husband will show up at the same time as Owen's sister, and they will have been secretly married years ago.  And since Riggs and Jo's spouses were bigamists ...... well, you get my point.

• Love 2

My favorite lines -

Meredith:  "Amelia, stuff your feelings in!"

Meredith:  "She's fine.  You have no idea how many people have locked themselves in that bathroom.  They're always fine."

Meredith:  "Don't get any ideas.  There are no ideas here for you."

April:  "You're probably going to see my vagina, which might be weird."

April (after Ben's hand has been up her hooha for some time):  "Okay, Warren, let's wrap it up."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, RedheadZombie said:

My favorite lines -

Meredith:  "Amelia, stuff your feelings in!"

Meredith:  "She's fine.  You have no idea how many people have locked themselves in that bathroom.  They're always fine."

I loved that whole scene.   The "stuff your feelings in" was so 100% Meredith.  Why is it that the writers sometimes can stay totally true to character and sometimes not at all.  I guess it could have to do with the different writers of each episode.

• Love 3
(edited)

The Jo thing really makes no sense with the timeline. And from my memory, Jo told Alex to hold onto the ring for sometime later.  But with the DeLuca drunk driven confession it doesn't sound like she's been trying to get a divorce during this grace period. Alex was ALWAYS going to ask again. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 5
On 5/20/2016 at 6:33 PM, BaseOps said:

Nope. The screener I got was exactly what aired. I believe I said Callie only had one scene with dialogue. I honestly thought that was going to be a cliffhanger, not a 'send off'. Quite disappointed. 

@BaseOps - any thoughts on why Sara & Shonda are referring to it as time off? And Jerrika Hinton on her FB page said I think we're all (cast & audience - family included) a little in denial and just hoping she'll be  back soon. Why would those things happen if this is a TR Knight/Heigl/Washington/Oh/Dempsey exit? 

I'm frustrated & confused. 

(edited)

Alex...NO....NOT HIS FACE! DO NOT HURT DELUCA'S PRETTY FACE!

Oh shit. 

Saw a bit if outrage on Twitter that Ellen Tweeted a sincere good-bye to Sara Ramirez, yet was dead silent a year ago when her long time co-star was killed off. Personally, I always thought that Shonda had a girl crush on Sara. How many times did someone tell Callie, "you're so hot," in her first few seasons, like they were trying to hammer that point home. As if the audience needed to be told. Damn near ALL her co-stars Tweeted good byes last night. I think Sara can basically do no wrong and come back whenever she feels like it, unlike many other characters.....especially the dead ones. LOL.  But it is obvious how "heartbroken" the cast was last night, contrasted with their silence last year when an original cast member exited. Was there that much bad blood with Dempsey, or were they afraid of the wrath of Shonzilla if they publicly supported him?

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Damn near ALL her co-stars Tweeted good byes last night. I think Sara can basically do no wrong and come back whenever she feels like it, unlike many other characters.....especially the dead ones. LOL.  But it is obvious how "heartbroken" the cast was last night, contrasted with their silence last year when an original cast member exited. 

This is interesting to me, because I noticed, out of her co-stars, only Ellen gave a good-bye statement last night. Kelly gave one today, Jerricka and the litter girl that plays Sofia also put out a statement (both of which seemed surprised by Sara's announcement)

Disclaimer:  Please forgive me ahead of time for pointlessly questioning the timeline and events associated with time passing.

Shouldn't Stephanie and Jo be wearing the dark blue scrubs now?  They were both fifth-years in the season premiere and April went through a whole pregnancy in less than half a season, so didn't a year pass by now?  I'm not even going to get into the fact that they never seemed at all concerned about the boards or applying for fellowships or anything because I know nobody really cares.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, ChicksDigScars said:

Saw a bit if outrage on Twitter that Ellen Tweeted a sincere good-bye to Sara Ramirez, yet was dead silent a year ago when her long time co-star was killed off. Personally, I always thought that Shonda had a girl crush on Sara. How many times did someone tell Callie, "you're so hot," in her first few seasons, like they were trying to hammer that point home. As if the audience needed to be told. Damn near ALL her co-stars Tweeted good byes last night. I think Sara can basically do no wrong and come back whenever she feels like it, unlike many other characters.....especially the dead ones. LOL.  But it is obvious how "heartbroken" the cast was last night, contrasted with their silence last year when an original cast member exited. Was there that much bad blood with Dempsey, or were they afraid of the wrath of Shonzilla if they publicly supported him?

I think its a little bit of both, not wanting to go against Shonda with a little bit of bad blood.  I think the bad blood comes from him wanting out or wanting changes to his existing contract that had one year, left on (i don't believe any of the cheating rumors).  Ellen was pretty vocal a few years ago about KH leaving in the middle of her contract so its not surprising she wasn't all warm and fuzzy on twitter when he left.  Sara on the other hand is leaving after her existing contract ends.  

Side note- something seems off with Sara departure to me and I am not fully convinced she is gone for good.  

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Dagny said:

I loved Meredith's list of options to Amelia. "I'm your person". The slurping on the Faux-pies. Heh.

I keep forgetting how cute DeLuca is. OMG.

I'm not sure how cute he is now that Alex went all psycho on his face... Luckily he works with the best plastic surgeon in the world, yummy Jackson Avery. Avery could replicate his face on DeLuca's... *swoon*

Edited by timimouse
(edited)

The scene when Amelia was on the phone with her mother was well done.

If I remember correctly the main reason that Owen and Christine broke up is that Owen wanted children and Christina did not. Amelia seems perfectly happy to reproduce with Owen, so that 's that.

That baby of Jackson and April is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Edited by Lillybee
  • Love 3
(edited)

Oh Meredith, you bitch. Why would you bring up Cristina on Owen's wedding day, of all times? So she's his one true love even though she doesn't want to be with him? What's he supposed to do, stay single forever and pine away for her? I get that your husband died but you don't need to shit on everyone else. Jeez.

Edited by TheNewJanBrady
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Lillybee said:

The scene when Amelia was on the phone with her mother was well done.

If I remember correctly the main reason that Owen and Christine broke up is that Owen wanted children and Christina did not. Amelia seems perfectly happy to reproduce with Owen, so that 's that.

That baby of Jackson and April is going to be absolutely beautiful.

Yup, they broke up because Owen wanted kids. Christina got pregnant, had an abortion and while Owen sort of supported her by going with her, after that things were rocky between them. Owen cheated because of all this and then they went through a limbo period both before getting divorced and after, where they were still hooking up from time to time. Also, Owen really wants kids, during one of their limbo periods, a kid about five or six lost both his parents at the hospital and Owen was about ready to take in the child. Christina even noticed this. I can't remember if they were still married or not during this episode, but yes, Owen wants kids. Amelia does too, probably. But that's a big reason why Owen and Christina broke up, it's not the only reason but to me, it's kind of the one that is the line in the sand for them. I think Owen thought he could change Christina's mind on this after he married her and showed her she could have it ALL!

The wording of Sara's departure and all the goodbye twitter mentions tells me that it's not an awful exit, unlike past cast members have been. The only other character who got such a good goodbye-and while Callie's isn't good, it's enough that she is still alive- is Christina and that's probably because it's more or less the same situation. I'm sure if SO wanted to come back for an episode, Shonda would probably let her, there doesn't seem to be bad blood there and same with SRs. To me, anyway. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I am only two minutes in and I already want to punch Meredith in the face. Poor Amelia.

Again, I say, Amelia, you are an addict fresh in recovery. You should not be doing any of this. And no one is there for your recovery. BAH.

Edited by Chewy101

Is this like a redemptive arc after Warren was so hasty and dangerous with that chick outside the elevator. Do we now know that he is a super competent surgeon, because he performed the most ridiculous procedure ever?? 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Is this like a redemptive arc after Warren was so hasty and dangerous with that chick outside the elevator. Do we now know that he is a super competent surgeon, because he performed the most ridiculous procedure ever?? 

Probably. Even Bailey likes her husband again! 

I just realized after reading some posts on this forum I missed today, that why did we even have that little bit of the woman with Dementia? It didn't add anything to the story, we didn't get a resolution. We didn't need to have hospital patient scenes this week; and considering April and the baby would wind up there anyway. Normally, the patients have some sort of overlap into the A story, but this one didn't. We could have had the doctors running around the hospital before and/or during the Not But Yes It Is Happening Wedding, we didn't need a focus on patients stories this week when it had zero to do with the actual plot. Unless I missed a parallel somewhere and even then, the shows probably reaching with said parallel. 

Edited by WhosThatGirl

Meredith was a decent human being in the end. I guess since she found some happiness with Riggs, she could be human to Amelia.

Oh, Arizona. Now you're as dumb as Callie. What was the point of a judge declaring you the stable one? Ugh.

(edited)
56 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Probably. Even Bailey likes her husband again! 

I just realized after reading some posts on this forum I missed today, that why did we even have that little bit of the woman with Dementia? It didn't add anything to the story, we didn't get a resolution. We didn't need to have hospital patient scenes this week; and considering April and the baby would wind up there anyway. Normally, the patients have some sort of overlap into the A story, but this one didn't. We could have had the doctors running around the hospital before and/or during the Not But Yes It Is Happening Wedding, we didn't need a focus on patients stories this week when it had zero to do with the actual plot. Unless I missed a parallel somewhere and even then, the shows probably reaching with said parallel. 

Dementia lady thought she was having a baby and Jackson was her husband. Dramatic irony! Jackson doesn't know his real (ex) wife is having a baby and he's not there. He and Dementia lady exchanged I Love You's while Ben was getting ready to slice April open with a penknife. I don't think it went much further than that.

Although..we could say that Dementia lady was a further parallel for April, because she unknowingly stabbed her son while mentally impaired, while April left her husband while mentally impaired (with grief) and hurt him a lot, and hasn't really owned it yet. Although, I could be reaching here (most likely).

Edited by BlindMaryIngalls
  • Love 4
(edited)
2 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

I think that the redemption was the fact that he didn't want to perform the procedure. He desperately wanted to wait for the ambulance but April had to talk him into it. That's my take anyway.

When Ben said that he felt a foot, at that moment I pictured Trixie and Patsy from Call the Midwife busting through the door. 

Patsy: "You've done a wonderful job here Mr. Warren but now we need you to boil as much water as you possibly can and we'll take care of the rest." *shoves Ben toward the kitchen*

Trixie (chirpy but worried): "Hello April! It looks like Baby has decided to make his or her debut today! *does exam* What a lovely frock wherever did you get it?"

(Did I just write a Grey's/CTM crossover fic?!)

I totally forgot about Dementia Lady.

Edited by marceline
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, marceline said:

I think that the redemption was actually the fact that he didn't want to perform the procedure. He desperately wanted to wait for the ambulance but April had to talk him into it. That's my take anyway.

When Ben said that he felt a foot, at that moment I pictured Trixie and Patsy from Call the Midwife busting through the door. 

Patsy: "You've done a wonderful job here Mr. Warren but now we need you to boil as much water as you possibly can and we'll take care of the rest." *shoves Ben toward the kitchen.

Trixie (chirpy but worried): "Hello April! It looks like Baby has decided to make his or her debut today! *does exam* What a lovely frock wherever did you get it?"

I totally forgot about Dementia Lady.

As an enormous Call The Midwife fan, I have to say I loved this so much!!!

Just now, Chewy101 said:

I think that the redemption was actually the fact that he didn't want to perform the procedure. He desperately wanted to wait for the ambulance but April had to talk him into it. That's my take anyway.

I agree with this, but I think it's cheap under all the circumstances. Bad, Shonda!

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Darnit, but I have to wonder..... Or at least queue up my Netflix for an evening of nostalgia with the Midwives.......

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

As an enormous Call The Midwife fan, I have to say I loved this so much!!!

19 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Darnit, but I have to wonder..... Or at least queue up my Netflix for an evening of nostalgia with the Midwives.......

Just imagine a scene between Dementia Lady and Sister Monica Joan with Jackson and Chief Noakes in the background.

(edited)
5 hours ago, Greysaddict said:

Side note- something seems off with Sara departure to me and I am not fully convinced she is gone for good.  

Maybe they want to do the same thing they did on Game of Thrones with Kit Harrington haha ;d

About all those 'not-nice' characters leaving - it seems to me like Shonda is a vengeful person and can't stand the fact somebody resisted to her like some evil queen. I don't follow all the stories so I don't know who broke their contracts but still... for the show's sake she could come up with better stories for the characters' leaving. Plain crush episode is the most ridiculous one on the show.

And anybody knows why the actor who played Mark Sloan left the show?

Edited by lorbeer

I believe Mark left the show for money reasons from the network, like the network wasn't pushing enough money for the actor to continue to stay on. Which makes sense, because Mark died the season that we got all the new interns, Jo, Wilson,Smash, etc. New actors and more money that the show wasn't getting, so I believe it was a paycut thing. 

2 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I believe Mark left the show for money reasons from the network, like the network wasn't pushing enough money for the actor to continue to stay on. Which makes sense, because Mark died the season that we got all the new interns, Jo, Wilson,Smash, etc. New actors and more money that the show wasn't getting, so I believe it was a paycut thing. 

3 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I heard from a reliable source that it was not about money, but was the actor's wish after Chyler Leigh's character was killed off, and THAT wasn't because she wanted to spend more time with her family.

13 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

I heard from a reliable source that it was not about money, but was the actor's wish after Chyler Leigh's character was killed off, and THAT wasn't because she wanted to spend more time with her family.

so why was it?

19 minutes ago, allthumbs said:

Really? I didn't know that. Now I'm curious about why CL left when the statement made after her final episode was all about how she wanted off to be with her family. The behind the scenes drama of this show is sometimes a better story than the actual show. 

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, WhosThatGirl said:

Really? I didn't know that. Now I'm curious about why CL left when the statement made after her final episode was all about how she wanted off to be with her family. The behind the scenes drama of this show is sometimes a better story than the actual show. 

You said it yourself - "behind the scenes drama." And I know this from someone who was an extra back in the day.

13 hours ago, windsprints said:

They're saving it for the S13 premiere. Now you have a reason to tune in!

Yay! Looking forward to it!

And then Maggie gets heartbroken, disappointed in manfolk and she finds comfort in Arizona. It would also solve the problem of getting a love interest for Arizona without having to hire a new actress. Bring it on! 

• Love 2
(edited)

It will be... Megan Riggs. With a new identity. And a new face, as she got badly burnt/injured in the crash. No one will recognize her at first. She has amnesia, but will remember everything once she sees Nathan and Owen.

Edited by Joana
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, allthumbs said:

Dane left GA because he got a new job as the lead of The Last Ship. He's said so in several interviews, including the one below where he talked about Grey's being an ensemble that wasn't about any one actor, so it was hard to pass up the chance to be THE starring actor on a show. 

http://www.ew.com/article/2013/07/25/eric-dane-greys-anatomy-last-ship?utm_source=huffingtonpost.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pubexchange_article

Chyler Leigh - rumors went around long before she left that she was unhappy with the creative direction and/or usage of Lexie, so who knows? Grey's is never short on backstage drama. 

5 hours ago, allthumbs said:

You said it yourself - "behind the scenes drama." And I know this from someone who was an extra back in the day.

So extras are the go to people on cast contract negotiations now are they? So this extra personally knows Shonda Rhimes, Chyler Leigh and Eric Dane also, presumably. 

2 minutes ago, Gtr187 said:

Chyler Leigh - rumors went around long before she left that she was unhappy with the creative direction and/or usage of Lexie, so who knows? Grey's is never short on backstage drama. 

I'm not suprised. The character was destroyed after breaking up with Sloan. She had good paring with Jackson but all the time she was staring at Mark. She had a good potential but they didn't use it.

(edited)

Chyler left to spend time with her family but then promptly signed up to another series, so it's no wonder people weren't buying her explanation.

(Apparently TV actors can't just cite job dissatisfaction, like the rest of us.)

Eric Dane said recently that he quit due to problems with substance abuse, but the rumors at the time were that ABC fired him for said issues, not that it was a voluntary departure. He certainly didn't look his old self during his last season or so.

Edited by BlindMaryIngalls
24 minutes ago, Storres said:

So extras are the go to people on cast contract negotiations now are they? So this extra personally knows Shonda Rhimes, Chyler Leigh and Eric Dane also, presumably. 

There was an on-set dust up.  Hard for people around not to see or hear it. Feel free to ignore me. I have no skin in this game. 

• Love 1

I find it strange that folks think of Grey's as a show were so many characters die -I mean obviously a lot a characters do die but its set in a hospital with sick characters so of course people will die.  But when it comes to season regulars there have been like 28 and only four have died which is not that bad. I mean before the plane crash there had been only one major character who had died, and the plane crash happened at the very end of season 8 - the show just is not the blood bath that people say it is.

And Penny's just going to take her right back, even though Callie refused to even give a long-distance relationship a try even though Penny was willing to do all the work of flying back and forth?

On 5/20/2016 at 0:52 AM, Black Knight said:

I know! I get that Shonda had to figure out some departure scenario for SR, but this whole story line from beginning to end was ridiculous and sloppy.

Other random thoughts:

SC should get some kind of special Emmy for best "being cut open with a steak knife" acting...wow.

I now love Riggs. I love his objectivity and refusal to get sucked into the never ending Grey Sloane Memorial drama.  Of course, that's going to change, but for now I'm loving it.

Amelia/Owen- nope. Still can't go there. Amelia's bridal do' was hideous...the bedraggled rain look was actually an improvement.

• Love 2

Amelia's family SUCKS.  Not one of them would come to her wedding?  Seriously?  Not even one of the sisters?  Not even with the added attraction of visiting Derek's children?

Meredith couldn't think of a single person who had two loves?  Um, what about Derek?  Remember Addison?  Also, Meredith, stop telling people to stuff their feelings down just because you've deadened your feelings.  As a doctor, you ought to know that's how people end up with stress related medical disorders.

Alex had me fooled with all that talk about having grown up and not wanting crazy in his life.  Until he beat up DeLucca.  Sorry, Alex, you have not grown up and you are still attracted to crazy.

Jo, you suck, too.  I can see why you feel that you can't tell Alex because he will want to go kill your husband, but that's a sign you shouldn't be with someone.

Bye, Callie, I guess.  Terrible, terrible send-off for her. 

• Love 3

Both Eric and Chyler left in 2012, the last ship didn't air until the summer  of2014 and taxi driver Chyler show 2014. Supergirl started airing in the fall 2015. Chyler could have been telling the truth about leaving b/c of her children since I think 2 out of 3 of them are special needs

(edited)
2 hours ago, Joana said:

It will be... Megan Riggs. With a new identity. And a new face, as she got badly burnt/injured in the crash. No one will recognize her at first. She has amnesia, but will remember everything once she sees Nathan and Owen.

Joana, you made me speechless in the best possible way. I gasped literally when I read your idea. This is it!

I think you have hit the nail on the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish it came true.

But since they did not marry, she is still Megan Hunt or no? Has either Owen or Nathan ever mentioned what her specialty was???

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
2 hours ago, rachel1496 said:

And more importantly, how will he or she be related to Meredith.

PREEYA SAID:

So now that Torres is gone, who will be the new Ortho guru?

Joana has the best answer. :)