Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E20: It's Sure Gonna Hurt

After nearly two decades, Rayna and Deacon face the facts of their storied and often tempestuous relationship. Scarlett makes a startling self-discovery in between tour dates while Gunnar performs with one of his idols, rock-music legend Sir Elton John. Luke stops by "The View" to trumpet a worthy cause—before a family emergency pulls his focus. Elsewhere, Juliette struggles to make a connection, and Layla launches her album at The Bluebird.

Promo:

(edited)

"... Rayna and Deacon face the facts of their storied and often tempestuous relationship."

Translation: Dear Deacon-baby: Welcome to Dumpsville! Population: you.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 5

I can not believe we are down to one episode.  Thank heavens Scarlett has finally faced her true feelings about Gunnar.  But why oh why does he have to jump in bed with that other woman?  It is infuriating because we know Gunnar loves Scarlett.

I did like the brief hand hold at the end by Rayna and Deacon.  That at least gives me a glimmer of hope.

• Love 4

I just don't understand this show. We can forward sometimes and then we go way backwards after that. Good scene of someone commenting Will on him coming out and helping someone but then we have that women on her talk show calling Will names and spewing her news. This is pretty much with every story on this show at this point. Like it matters. The show is over. 

I think I am in love with Luke Wheeler. He is the best character of this mess. Didn't we all hate him once?

• Love 13

I think Deacon and Rayna's decision to get counseling is one of the most sensible things they've done, actually. Scarlett and Gunnar just make me sigh -- and not in the good "aw, they're so adorkable!" way.

Hayden Panettiere and Derek Hough continue to have zero chemistry. Seriously, just make it stop. And speaking of wanting things to come to a screeching halt, the one good thing about the cancellation is that Crayla's self-centred whining will finally come to a blessed end.

• Love 4

I've never seen anybody get dumped for not liking Tommy Boy before, but that would be a dealbreaker for me too.

Autumn, Gunnar? Really? Ugh, she's awful.

• Love 8

1 more episode unless a miracle happens on another lesser network?  I fast forwarded through Sir Elton. Only other song we got was Crayla?  Bad show.

I think Rayna and Deacon need more than a 1 Day counseling session. But why would either of them miss Maddie? I sure don't. Hell, it was the best thing about the show tonight.

Cadence continues to be the cutest baby ever. And Juliette, smart move dumping spaghetti squash guy. He probably wouldn't like your specialty dish of pink macaroni.

Colt finally likes Luke? For a teen on this show to like their parent, we know it's a concussion. Get him in for an MRI. Oh, and Will, everyone knows where you live. Move.

• Love 9
(edited)

I thought Avery was going to be so distracted that he'd miss a cue or something, and Crayla would open her maw and bite his head clean off right there on the stage of the Bluebird. I should have known Avery was too much of a pro for that.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 8
(edited)

Highlight story tonight: Will finally seeing that he's not alone and taking on that Ann Colture/Dr. Laura clone. If the show ends with Will totally humiliating her on live tv ,that'll be enough for me (and was that Kevin with him in the preview?).

Edited by madhacker
  • Love 1

So, one story line has the entire country fan community shunning a gay country singer (Will) and any country artist that supports him (Luke).  But then the other story line has an up and coming country star (Gunnar) going out on stage and singing with one of the biggest gay icons in all of music history (Elton John), and then talking how it will launch his career.  Besides not really buying into Elton John's concert audience having any idea who a newcomer on the country scene would be to get such a reception when he goes on stage, there is just no consistency between these two plot lines.

And Derke Hough needs to stick to dancing.  Acting is not his forte.  And trying to act while preaching about healthy eating was just painful to watch.  Nashville always has to preach about something in each episode.

• Love 14

I kinda got a kick out of the sadistic photog urging Scarlett to dredge up her most painful feelings to get genuine looking shots. It reminded me of stories I heard about how Shirley Temple's directors would tell her to imagine her pets or her parents dying so they could capture her crying on film.

And that Autumn has no shame whatsoever. If I can't get in Gunnar's pants using James Taylor, I'll just use Elton John, by god!

• Love 10
15 minutes ago, Fisher King said:

I kinda got a kick out of the sadistic photog urging Scarlett to dredge up her most painful feelings to get genuine looking shots.

I'll always have a soft spot for Brooke Smith because of Vanya on 42nd Street.

• Love 2
(edited)

In the next-to-last episode, we spend several scenes with Luke and his homophobic father, "Sarge", in Luke's son's hospital room. These tertiary (at best) characters are on screen in the next-to-last ever episode because why? Who knows!? What's the "Nashville" rallying cry at Previously.tv? "NOBODY CARES!"

Meanwhile, the show's star's daughter, Daphne, is at "Simone's", picking the locks on the liquor cabinet and gun safe.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 10

I'm watching.

Where is Emily? Why can't we have scenes with Will, Avery, Gunnar and the baby all together?

I want to hear Juliette sing. Not Layla.

I adore Luke and I used to really dislike him.

• Love 5

In the next-to-last episode, we spend several scenes with Luke and his homophobic father, "Sarge", in Luke's son's hospital room. These tertiary (at best) characters are on screen in the next-to-last ever episode because why? Who knows!?

Probably because, when they filmed it, they didn't know it was the next to last episode.

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I've always liked her. I think she was on a few episodes of Weeds & was one of the girls in the skinner's well in Silence of the Lambs.

27 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Meanwhile, the show star's daughter, Daphne, is at "Simone's", picking the locks on the liquor cabinet and gun safe.

LOL   ..... and humming Maddie's song about being a bad, bad girl .....

• Love 1

This was a weird episode, but I think that was more due to the circumstances of the series finale being next week.  There was no Maddie and Cash (which is not a bad thing).  However, those characters were part of a tremendously polarizing storyline which is likely to be wrapped up in about 12 minutes, and then the series is likely over unless it finds another home.  Tonight really felt like a whimper to me.  That rumored cliffhanger that supposedly was in play before the cancellation must have been stocked to the gills because this episode just felt like it was "there."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, madhacker said:

Highlight story tonight: Will finally seeing that he's not alone and taking on that Ann Colture/Dr. Laura clone. If the show ends with Will totally humiliating her on live tv ,that'll be enough for me (and was that Kevin with him in the preview?).

Wow. I totally missed the previews (I was busy helping Daphne pick the liquor cabinet lock) but I also hope Will destroys that hater woman on her show. That's one of the most ridiculous things this show has done.

• Love 4

i'm going to have to watch this again. i loathe Alicia Witt so much that it almost totally distracts me. she may be a lovely person but when they cast someone as nasty over and over again... i'm probably being unkind and unfair. whatever she's had done. botox or other injectables. it's not working. sorry. i am being so mean. i'll watch it again and leave some meaningful comments. hopefully.

That title feels like precursor for next week. It's going to hurt to say goodbye to these characters when so much is left unresolved.

The episode was good as a transition episode. It set-up so many good plot pivots. However, it didn't set-up enough to provide closure for all the loose threads that were still abundant on the show.

Glad Will is finally standing up and seeing that he is helping people. I totally understood his hesitation before, but I do feel this is an organic transition for him. The guy only ever wanted to be a Country Star, he never wanted to be a crusader. Love that Luke is helping him and in many ways is being that father figure to him that his father was not. Also enjoy how it is dovetailing with Luke's inability to be a good father to Colt, glad that is coming around as well. Although didn't need to see Sarge again.

Scarlett finally realizes she loves Gunnar - well its about time!! Really want to see what her poster is going to be like, because I don't think its going to be joy anymore. And silly Gunnar, don't sleep with Autumn, but that was predictable. At least he did it after that dastardly interview, it doesn't make it better - but at least there is a reason he might feel that Scarlett will never be a real option for him.

Rayna & Deacon, glad you're in couples therapy. Don't think we needed to have their love story self-destruct the way it did this season, but at least they are handling it more maturely this time around.

Maddie & Daphne - sorry I didn't even miss you.

Layla - There are times I wonder why Layla is still around on this show and then she sings and it all makes sense. I do enjoy Aubrey Peoples' singing, but I'm needing Layla to either commit to being fully crazy or completely determined again. This whiny unsure girlfriend role is annoying me. And the fact that she is so dismissive to Rayna & Highway 65 is just overdone. I'm not a musician and I have never been to a launch party. But it did seem like Hwy 65 did put on a nice party, so Rayna wasn't there - Layla needs to get over that - I doubt every Label CEO goes to every launch party.

Juliette - I loved everything about J this episode. Her verbal jab at Avery over Layla/Noah. SO great! Her realization that the relationship was not going to work. Her desire to be around Cadence, it was so good.

Avery - he needs to wise up over Layla. Her drama is not worth it. Plus, wake up and realize you love Juliette and just try to work it out together.

Lastly, Luke I will miss you. Who knew I would have said that last season?

Honestly, the one thing I feel the Nashville writers always excelled at was somehow making unlikeable characters likeable. Juliette, Avery, Will & Jeff all went from horrible characters to better characters that people actually enjoy. Layla has been too much of a yo-yo. Its a shame they also have the potential to ruin good characters like they did with Deacon, Maddie, Gunnar & Teddy. That being said I feel like they have turned around Gunnar. And with more time they could have done it with Deacon & Maddie. Teddy I think is where he needs to be, because they couldn't find a role for him after the divorce - so I'd rather he be in jail than having horrible plot lines thrown at him. Plus watching Lamar die without lifting a finger felt very cold and he needs to think about that.

• Love 4

Ugh.  So the therapist asked the right question of Rayna and Deacon, but I know this show will answer it wrong.  I like both characters away from each other, Deacon actually more than Rayna.  But together, I want to slap her and loath him.  The show is aware that his passive-aggressive martyr routine "I'm going to go"  And then throwing back at Rayna that "Is that what you want?" Dude, no.  If you are leaving you do it because it's your decision, you don't make the decision and then make it the other person's fault/responsibility.  Even if you are leaving because you think the other person can't/won't/wants it, YOU are doing it and that is YOUR decision. 

I never disliked Luke as other did.  As someone else mentioned, he was a dick after the breakup, but far less of one than I would have been the way Rayna jerked him around. And yay for his son being proud of him.

Also, Yay Will for finally realizing that he can do good and that it's empowering as much as a burden.  He spent too much time dwelling on the latter.

And BOOOOOO! to Gunnar and Scarlett continuing to be emotionally stunted and at least a little intellectually delayed as well. I mean, yeah, Scarlett FINALLY realized she's in love with Gunnar... but like 2 years, three unnecessary replacement relationships (including both her and him), and weeks of tour pouting petulance late. And of course, just in time to find Gunnar having actually slept with Alicia Witt (Autumn?) this time... which brings me to his stupid ass.  Autumn (or whatever) is about as transparent as cellophane and as subtle as a Trump rally.  Don't get me wrong, I would totally hop on her jet and go to the Elton John concert, but don't sleep with the shit stirring asshat. 

Also boo to no Daphne.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Even if the show hadn't been cancelled, Elton John being on it was going to be a jump the shark moment (even if the show hadn't done it already!).

This is why the show sucks now, who is making these stupid decisions? First, why is Elton John on this show? He's not country, there are who-knows-how-many actual country singers that are famous they could have gotten, but no, they get someone who nobody has ever associated with country music. Second, Will is finally standing up for himself as a gay man & and artist, so the show gets Elton John, an openly gay man who is an advocate for gay rights on the show, & has him be part of Gunnar's storyline? WTF? Why isn't Elton John supporting Will? Doesn't this make more sense? Stupid, STUPID, Nashville writers, next week is your fault.

• Love 11
20 minutes ago, wendyg said:

Even if the show hadn't been cancelled, Elton John being on it was going to be a jump the shark moment (even if the show hadn't done it already!).

My question is how & why was Elton John ever pitched for the show? It just seems like a weird choice, and then for him to have nothing to do with Will was also odd.

That being said, considering they have had guest musicians for the last few weeks and have had both the View & GMA made guest appearances, you have to wonder if the Nashville Team did feel a little blindsided by the cancellation. If the network, was ready to chuck them, why go through so much effort to bring people on the show?

• Love 2
(edited)

I sat through that and I didn't even get a new Scarlett/Gunnar song for my troubles? On the plus side: no Maddie this week!

I am so glad that Rayna and Deacon went to a therapist AND that said therapist was able to get to the heart of the matter - if they are going to move forward, Deacon needs to stop wallowing in guilt and Rayna has to forgive him. I know it's common sense to us, but seem people need their issues distilled and handed to them by a third party. They have been through a lot in the decades that they have known each other and there are some underlying issues that have been kind of addressed before but not really dealt with, so going to therapy was a great first step. But what annoyed me is that Deacon's reaction was to continue his self-martyrdom by saying he was going to leave so that he could stop hurting Rayna. The other thing that annoyed me is that he thought one trip to the therapist would fix everything. That's not how therapy works, Deacon - especially if you're going to ignore what the therapist said and continue to feel sorry for yourself.

I can't wait to see Juliette's poster. Next to joy and peace there will be "sad panda." Or "so good it makes you cry"? I mean, seriously, Dr. Hahn, given the mock ups and the suggested themes, did you really think that making your spokesmodel cry while you took pictures was what the headphone company wanted? Sorry, I forgot. The photographer is une artiste who wants everything to be true and real, even if it's not commercial or what the client actually asked for.

I could tell that Noah was on his way out when he was going on and on about fucking spaghetti squash and Juliette was just sitting on the counter with a look on her face that clearly said, "What have I gotten myself into?" And was this episode brought to us by the Spaghetti Squash Council? But the final nail in the coffin was when Noah said he didn't like Tommy Boy and Juliette was like, "Um, okay, so can we just have sex now so that you'll stop talking nonsense?"

I can't take much more of Layla. Oh, wait, I only have to take her for one more week - yay! Bitch is crazy. The way she got herself all worked about Rayna not being there just so she could distract Avery from going to check on his child and GASP, see Juliette was so gross.

At least Will and Luke are being awesome.

My question is how & why was Elton John ever pitched for the show?

Probably the same way that George Costanza pitched giving away snow tires at a Yankees game - with no hope of it actually happening!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, dbell1 said:

Cadence continues to be the cutest baby ever. And Juliette, smart move dumping spaghetti squash guy. He probably wouldn't like your specialty dish of pink macaroni.

He probably would have broken down the high caloric intake and deemed it unfit for consumption. Don't think this dude knows much about comfort food.

6 hours ago, Sandman said:

I thought Avery was going to be so distracted that he'd miss a cue or something, and Crayla would open her maw and bite his head clean off right there on the stage of the Bluebird. I should have known Avery was too much of a pro for that.

Hilarious.

2 hours ago, wendyg said:

Elton John was a jumping the shark while riding another shark moment.

It was the freaking penultimate episode and it was so boring. Silver lining - no Maddie. I was sure I had jinxed it when I realized she was missing halfway through, but thank god she and Cash didn't show up. Avery continues to be dumb and Layla manipulative and stupid. Match made in heaven, this is. Gunnar and Autumn is just disgusting. I can't with that woman's mouth. That image...let me stop right there. It's too early in the morning. 

• Love 3

The sad thing is, the reason why this episode was such a letdown is because we know it's the penultimate episode but the PTB didn't at this time. If they had, I highly doubt we would be getting this episode. But the chips fell where they fell. Isn't there a rumor that they next week will have a different ending because they shot two, depending on how things would go with the show? 

• Love 2

So apparently I'm the only one who backed that Elton John song up and played it again?  I don't care if it was Nashville shark chum, it was beautiful.

I laughed at Scarlett squinching her eyes together to make a photogenic tear roll down her cheek.  No luck, but she did get a little glisten on her lashes.  Snap, so close.

I felt foolish sitting here all by myself muttering, "I'm proud of you, Dad . . .SAY IT, Cole, just say it!"  And then he did!!!  Yay!  Ha!  Take that, Sarge, you inflamed asshole.  I thought "Sarge" was supposed to be some uptight rando from the Cole's training camp--but he's Luke's father?  Woof, tough break, Luke.  [Luuuke, I am your homophobic faaaather.]

Started a new solitaire game when Deacon decided it would really be best for everyone if he just left.  And when the answer to what Rayna wanted from their relationship was "Maddie."

Looks like we're going out with a whimper, folks.

• Love 1
(edited)
24 minutes ago, candall said:

I felt foolish sitting here all by myself muttering, "I'm proud of you, Dad . . .SAY IT, Cole, just say it!"  And then he did!!!  Yay!  Ha!  Take that, Sarge, you inflamed asshole.  I thought "Sarge" was supposed to be some uptight rando from the Cole's training camp--but he's Luke's father?  Woof, tough break, Luke.  [Luuuke, I am your homophobic faaaather.]

Why are all these fathers assholes? Every single one. Will's, Avery's, Luke's - and we know Deacon's was as well. Jeff's probably was too. Why can't there be a good father/son relationship within this universe? I guess that's what they're trying to do at the 11th hour with Cole and Luke now. Great. 

Why do these people make stupid choices again and again and again? They do the EXACT opposite of what they should. There are a million examples. Deacon going to Frankie's, Avery going to Layla, Maddie choosing the New York label instead of staying in Nashville. Can anyone (except Juliette in this specific instance) make a good decision about their lives? 

Noel had to have rolled his eyes when Scarlett made his confession to him. I know I would have. Those two are exhausting with all this back and forth. I'd probably have been on the phone trying to see if Sadie had "found herself" or whatever she needed to do in Virginia. 

Also: Shut up, Layla. In her manipulative speech to Avery she complained about Rayna not doing anything when Autumn chose Scarlett and Gunnar over her. What was Rayna supposed to do? Smack Autumn's hand?

Edited by Soup333
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I think Sarge is Luke's ex-father-in-law. 

You could be right. All I remember is Colt saying he was going to live with grandpa and then Sarge saying something to Luke about not doing any real work or being on a real farm or something like that. And admittedly, all this stuff was so boring between the three of them that I was barely paying attention.

Just occured to me that Teddy's father was shit as well.

So... This... No. Just... no.

That was the worst ending of any episode of the show, hot on the heels of the very worst episode of the show.

Gunnar slept with Scarlett, then they had a fight and the very next episode he jumped in bed with the only one woman she'd declared absolutely off-limits right before she slept with him. Of course this was all in parallel with her confessing to Noel she's in love with him.

That was the one thing I said, if they do this, it's permanently ruined. They even did it worse than I thought, as if that was even possible.

They're ruined. Done. Kaput. Nobody, absolutely nobody, can support this disaster anymore. You can't have a happy ending for them in the next episode because the only way to get a happy ending would be for Gunnar to flat out lie about it, making it all a cheap fake. So I don't even think they bothered filming an alternate version for them.

Scarlett and Gunnar are over. There aren't even any pieces to pick up anymore.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Sandman said:

I'll always have a soft spot for her because she was Catherine Martin in Silence of the Lambs. It's good to see she crawled out of the hole, put the lotion on her skin and got a nice photography job. 

• Love 4

By the way I know what I've said about Clare's twitter practices but I legit thought this was funny...

Clare Bowen ‏@clarembee  11h11 hours ago

Gunnar and Autumn sitting in a pile of emotional napalm. #BringBackNashville

• Love 1
(edited)

Rayna and Deacon waiting until now to seek out therapy was really bizarre. Even Maddy had questions about Deacons behavior before they married, but Rayna went full scale ahead. Defending all Deacon's actions like a battered housewife and NOW because he got into a fight with his business partner she's suddenly calling him violent? This is who he always was and who she married. They never should have married to begin with without dealing with all their problems. She made horrible choices for herself and for her kids and now she wants to blame Deacon, this is who he always was.

How did Luke become the best character on this show?

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3
(edited)

I think my eyes got stuck in my head because they were rolling back so so hard. The guy driving to Will's house to say he is speaking for them? C'mon. The photographer needing a full therapy session so she can truly capture Scarlett's essence for a freaking ad? Never happen never. Please make the stupidity stop. 

I just can't take the homohysteria storyline, that it was Luke's fault his son got beat up because he supports gay rights, that everything goes to hell if you come out as gay but...here's Elton John. Whaaa?

I muted all of Rayna Deacon after I realized that an enlivening  zombie attack wasn't pending (therapist was last seen on Fear the Walking Dead) and I didn't pay any attention to the Dancing with the Stars guy--he was talking about nutrition?

I'm totally not surprised this show got cancelled but it's too bad they couldn't have re-done the last two shows--focused it heavily on the music, bringing back favorite songs, wrapping up storylines nicely with less homophobia and angst.

Edited by Kbilly
  • Love 5

Random thoughts while watching:

Any one else need a Zoloft after this?

Even though it's only been a few days in Nashville time (I think), for a moment there I thought Scarlett was going to say she was pregnant.

Hey Layla, how about you put down that contouring brush, stop chasing the closest piece of ass that you think will further your career, and be your own woman for a change. Although I use the term "woman" loosely, since you still act, and look, 15 years old. Maybe she'll notice how many famous friends Autumn has, switch teams, and the 2 of them can connive each other to death. 

And speaking of Autumn, hey, we've got a Brit and and Aussie on this show who can both do a passable Southern accent, so you need to rethink your vocal choices. And eat a cheeseburger, for heaven's sake!

Kudos to Juliette for being honest to herself and Noah, and sending him on his way rather than hooking up with him just for the optics during the Oscar race. 

And Will's balls grew three sizes that day. 

• Love 4