Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E10: Norman

That was creepy as fuck.  I  might have trouble sleeping tonight.  

Norma's dead open eyes *shudder*

I hope I never, ever see Freddie Highmore in person because he's too damn realistic. 

I'm glad Romero got arrested.  Saved his life.

• Love 11

That was completely amazing. I think that this season of Bates Motel might be my favorite overall season of television from 2015-16. It was just so solid from beginning to end. I truly can't wait to see what happens next.

• Love 21

GIVE FREDDIE THE FUCKING EMMY!

Kudos to this show for having the guts to speed things up before the final season! We didn't get Jon Snowed after all.

Norman has officially lost what's left of his mind. As repulsive as he was tonight, I still felt that pity for him. He didn't get this way on his own, and watching him fall apart without his mother was horrifying and heartbreaking. After all, it was never his intention to survive...it's starting to look like it was better to kill himself back in season two after all.

The part where he rubber cements the corpse's eyes open...no sleep tonight. And Christmas is now ruined for me.

Juno sure is a cute dog.

Its actually a good thing Dylan doesn't know about Norma dying. Norman may have unwittinglY done him a solid with that. Stay far, far FAR away, Dylan! Norma isn't worth getting killed for!

An A++ for this season! The final one is gonna be NUTS!

• Love 21

And now we have Norman Bates.

I thought for sure Chick was going to end up with casserole smashed on his head.

Juno (the live, not stuffed) dog is the cutest thing.

I have some logistical questions - funeral home guys never contacted Norma's husband about services?  Who is paying for all of that?  Some life insurance policies don't cover suicide, if that's what Norma's death was ruled.  She wasn't embalmed, shouldn't there be some decomposition?  Or maybe there is and we're seeing Norma as Norman does.

Chick heard that Norma was dead but Dylan didn't?

Freddie H was terrific, I managed to hate him, be scared of him, worry about his (gone) sanity and still feel kind of sorry for him.  Still I did cheer when Romero punched him.

Just when you thought Norman ripping that ring off Norman's corpse was creepy, he digs up her dead body, drives her home and than explodes the creepy factor by gluing her eyes open.

Lots of jumbled thoughts on this one. 

• Love 14

OMG! Xs infinity.  So weird that I knew what would happen but watching it actually happen I could not believe it was happening.  It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever watched but hysterically funny at the same time.  (I have a tendency to laugh uncontrollably at inappropriate times)  Juno is back.  OMG!  Didn't that dog die back in season 1?   He dug her up and glued her eyes open!  (Some real Crazy glue)  He didn't tell Dylan but cut him off.  Actually a blessing for Dylan and Emma. No funeral guests but he delivers a eulogy as if the chapel was packed.  Did he buy all those flowers too?   Romero getting arrested saved his psycho life but doomed Marion Crane and several others.   Chick just coming over with the chicken casserole, he saw her!   Just so many OMGs!

• Love 9
(edited)

Wow!  They actually killed off Norma this early in the series.

Romero has let his inner thug loose.  Norman better step up his serial killer game quick because I don't think the feds will hold Romero long.

Edited by maczero
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, whyjen8 said:

It was one of the most horrifying things I've ever watched but hysterically funny at the same time.  (I have a tendency to laugh uncontrollably at inappropriate times)

Not just you, I was laughing too.  The way Norma's corpse was flopping around, then propped up in the car, awful yet hilarious.  I actually think we're supposed have those reactions.  Norman getting up to speak (I'm like, he's going to TALK?? to no one??) was also blackly funny, as was the girl at the mortician's watching him twist off the ring.

Dylan will hear of her death and be back.  There are a lot of loose ends and questions in WPB.  I think next season will be a tightrope of waiting for Norman to be caught. 

Romero has let his inner thug loose.  Norman better step up his serial killer game quick because I don't think the feds will hold Romero long.

Yup, I was thinking "should have had the gun a half hour ago, Alex".

• Love 12
(edited)

I just cannot believe what I just watched.

I kept waiting for Norman, or Romero, or Norma, to wake up from some bizarre dream sequence.

Holy.  Fuck.

Last week my heart broke for Dylan.  I actually sobbed when Norma turned on him and accused him of always being jealous of Norman.  I thought that was the low point of the season.  I thought that Romero coming to the rescue was a turning point after that.  I thought somehow Norma would revive and the whole Norman-should-be-locked-up discussion would be revisited.

But man was I wrong.

I don't even know what to say.  That was truly, truly horrifying.  And I'm not sure I mean that in a good way.  That car ride home.  Those eyes.  I don't know that I needed to see that.

Edited by Aquarius
  • Love 9

That was creepy. I knew Norma was really dead and we were entering Psycho territory, but that was both amazing and a bit unsatisfying. 

The eulogy to an empty church, the car ride home, the eyes are things the show does so well. 

Thank god Dylan made it out alive, but I side eye that Romero at the very least didnt get in touch with him even if Dylan changed his number in a day. I'm not sure I see him returning since they gave him a reason for staying away

• Love 3
(edited)

Whoo-hoo! I thought it was fabulous--I feel sad, creeped out, and happy that this show exists! The only thing that bugged me was the blond cop lady saying it was obviously a murder-suicide attempt. I feel like there was a lot there that took "obviously" out of the equation; even here in this forum, lots of people speculated on how the scene could be interpreted by outsiders and it was all reasonably plausible.

Also, people in movies and TV shows always dig the neatest rectangular holes!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 10

I almost didn't want to watch tonight.  This show never disappoints though. I still can't stop thinking about how tragic Norma's whole life was. She could just never catch a break for more than five seconds. And what is creepy Chick up to now?  That guy just skeeves me out, more so than Norman even.  As crazy as Norman is, you can understand why he ended up the way he is. 

• Love 4

Wow, that was intense, and so, so sad.  Of course carbon monoxide would damage Norman's already heavily traumatized brain to the point of no departure.  I really felt for him, he truly has no one, and is unable to see any path to freedom.  His abusive mother is gone, but he's too broken to even see that.  Those scenes where he was frantically rushing through the house, swallowed by grief hit really close to home for me.   Freddie Highmore is amazing. 

As this season showed, if only N/N were permanently separated, with many years of therapy they could both eventually have found some way forward.  Together, no way.  The writers are really fucking with us by claiming that it was only 2 weeks that Norman was at pine view (or less--like one week if we count the days since he's been home.)  It felt more like 4 months since he went there and N/A were married.  

Was glad to see Asshole Romero hauled away in handcuffs.

Ultimately, I'd be perfectly fine with this as a series finale.  It's a high note to leave on. 

• Love 2
24 minutes ago, FanOfTheFans said:

I almost didn't want to watch tonight.  This show never disappoints though. I still can't stop thinking about how tragic Norma's whole life was. She could just never catch a break for more than five seconds. And what is creepy Chick up to now?  That guy just skeeves me out, more so than Norman even.  As crazy as Norman is, you can understand why he ended up the way he is. 

This show does a great job of conveying how every main character could understandably end up as he or she does, IMO.

• Love 2

Very disappointed.  Norma's death was incredibly anticlimactic and not what I hoped it would be at all.  And no one suspects the psycho who just got realeased from a mental institution for more than 2 seconds?  Eh.  Not really excited about next season.  Norma was the best part of the show to me.

• Love 6
  • Alex Romero is a stand up guy. He really loved Norma and even tried to save Norman from the gas leak as well. 
  • The DEA arrested Alex for perjury lol. That's weak, he just needs to call his lawyer and he'll be out in a jiffy.
  • Who paid for the funeral and how? Funerals are expensive. 
  • Why hasn't the psychiatrist checked on Norman since he's prob missed a couple of sessions? 
  • Alex just simply needs to tell the Oregon State Police lady, here call this psychiatrist and ask him if Norman is crazy. Tell him Norma died mysteriously and I'm sure the psychiatrist would cooperate. 
  • Norman is such a weak 110lb punk, I wish Alex would just end him and be dobe with it. End Norman and save countless of future lives. 
  • If and when Dillon finds out, he needs to meet with Alex and sign those papers and gave Norman committed. 
  • Burn that messed up house down. 
  • Love 9

Freddie Highmore brought me to tears. When he put the gun in his mouth,I wanted to hug him. Yet he scares the ever living crap out of me at the same time. 

• Love 6

Well that was really sad. Poor Norma, I really loved that character. At least she went peacefully.

I hope Dylan and Emma just never look back.

I thought it was ridiculous that they said Norma/Romero were married, and Norman was at the facility, only two weeks. COME ON. At least say it was a month, for crying out loud.

• Love 5

"You do what you gotta do...but you do know she's dead, right?" - Chick ??

I love Romero in revenge mode. 

That crazy fucker glued Norma's eyes open. THANKS FOR THE VISUAL, SHOW ??

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Ohwell said:

That was creepy as fuck.  I  might have trouble sleeping tonight.  

Norma's dead open eyes *shudder*

I hope I never, ever see Freddie Highmore in person because he's too damn realistic. 

I'm glad Romero got arrested.  Saved his life.

They definitely hit a 10 on the creepy meter with this one.  The way Norma just stared at him with her dead eyes.  And even when he drove up to the motel with her lying limp against the passenger door, yeesh.  Prying Romero's ring off her finger while that mortuary girl watched all wtf.  Reading her eulogy to an empty room.  I'm glad it wasn't a cliffhanger, just a great narrative progression to Norman's final evolution as a sociopath.  Can't wait to see how Dylan finds out about everything next season, including Norman conveniently forgetting to mention that mom is dead.

• Love 7

This episode was devastating and creepy.  If you go back to watch Norman in season 1 and then this episode his downfall is just heartbreaking.  If only Norma had told the truth when Norman killed his father defending her.  They both could have been saved. I wonder who Norman could have been if Norma had let him get help sooner and hadn't worked so hard to keep him too close for so long.  The effort to keep them together doomed them both. 

I felt a lot of sympathy for Romero.  He truly loved Norma, made her happy, and recognized the danger Norman posed but could not save Norma because she wouldn't accept the truth.  He knew something bad would happen and was unable to prevent it and that has to be eating him up.   Dylan will probably have the same feeling if/when he finds out.

At first I was shocked that Romero didn't call Dylan but then it occurred to me that since Romero is on the warpath, he'd want to keep Dylan out of it.  Dylan would want Norman committed, and Romero wants Norman dead. 

I don't get how the police could be investigating and not contact Dylan even if he changed his number.   It wasn't a secret where Dylan was going and the police have the resources to find him.  Plus, I doubt that Emma and her father won't keep up with what's going on in White Pine even though they moved away.  They've only been gone a couple of days.  Maybe they won't get in contact right away but at some point they will find out Norma's dead.  Still, I hope Dylan and Emma get to keep their happy ending of getting out of Norman's dangerous orbit.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Luckylyn said:

Dylan will probably have the same feeling if/when he finds out. At first I was shocked that Romero didn't call Dylan but then it occurred to me that since Romero is on the warpath, he'd want to keep Dylan out of it.  Dylan would want Norman committed, and Romero wants Norman dead.

Poor me. I had forgotten to watch this show for about 4 weeks. So last night about 1/2 way into the episode I turn on. I see Norman at Norma's funeral and presume it is all in his head... then when he pulled the body out, I knew something was up. Wow... shocked.  So I went to "on demand" to catch up. Poor everyone but especially Dylan as the last time he spoke with Norma it didn't go well.

Norman picked out a "periwinkle blue" dress for Norma to be buried in just like the movie. This episode was awesome. The murder/suicide scenario, the stealing her corpse, talking to her and glad she's back (the glued open eyes, though!). The end showing us Norma/Norman talking to each other and continuing on. The dog being 'alive' setting us up for more taxidermy. All around a great episode for Psycho fans, like me. 

• Love 7
9 hours ago, raven said:

I have some logistical questions - funeral home guys never contacted Norma's husband about services?  Who is paying for all of that?  Some life insurance policies don't cover suicide, if that's what Norma's death was ruled.  She wasn't embalmed, shouldn't there be some decomposition?  Or maybe there is and we're seeing Norma as Norman does.

Chick heard that Norma was dead but Dylan didn't?

I wondered those things too. Felt like there were some plot holes there. It was a little hard to believe that the funeral home, a local family business, didn't know Romera was the town sheriff.  And did someone run an obituary for Norma?  It seemed strange that Chick knew unless he read it in the paper. I get that Dylan wouldn't have seen the paper because he just moved but what about the doctor treating Norman? Surely he'd have a reaction to what happened.  He seemed to be missing from this episode. I expected him at the door, not Chick. 

Honestly, I kept feeling like last episode would have made the much better season finale with this episode being the start of the next season. Last week had way more of a punch, twist, and air of uncertainty. This episode just showed us a lot of things we already knew about the Norman Bates character. 

I certainly hope there is more with the new state police detective next season. Surely after witnessing Norman beat the shit out of a very large flat screen TV and having him admit to recently being committed, not to mention the strange way he said Norma made the right decision to leave Romera yet ignoring the fact that she immediately killed herself (at least through the police's eyes), this lady detective should be doing a lot more digging on the son. While I know there's the whole patient confidentially issues, even a veiled conversation with his shrink should allow her to put two and two together. 

• Love 10

The series finale for me and badly done at that.  Way too many plot holes and the whole thing felt rushed, like the cancellation hammer came down hard.  Farmiga, for me, was the whole show and now that she's gone, there's no point in going on.  "The Norman Bates" Show doesn't interest me in the slightest.  Don't get me wrong,   Highmore hits it out of the park, no doubt,  but with out Vera it's just too much of a big hole to fill.

• Love 7

Farmiga, for me, was the whole show and now that she's gone, there's no point in going on.  "The Norman Bates" Show doesn't interest me in the slightest.  Don't get me wrong,   Highmore hits it out of the park, no doubt,  but with out Vera it's just too much of a big hole to fill.

I presumed she would be back next year playing the role she played as the Norma who exists in Norman's head. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I think this episode should have been called Norman Bates, rather than Norman because that was really the whole point of the episode I felt. That is, we finally and truly got to meet Norman Bates who ultimately murders Marion Crane in Psycho and a slew of other people. I was so glad when Dylan called because as much as I was enjoying the episode, I spent almost the entire first half hour wondering "seriously, did no one call and tell Dylan his mother is dead?"

Norman I can excuse because he's batshit crazy but what was Romero's excuse? I guess they tried to explain it by having Dylan say he changed his number but Dylan left with Emma and her dad - what, did they all change their numbers? I guess maybe I can buy that Romero was so caught up in his own grief he didn't even remember Dylan - not to mention he was busy thinking about killing Norman who he knows was the one responsible. 

I give the writers credit for going through with their plans despite the popularity of Norma and how easy it would have been to drag stuff out. They had a plan for this story and they're sticking to it...good for them. As for the show being able to go on, well aside from the fact that it only has one more season left, I imagine next season will see Norman dealing with Romero and Dylan and unfortunately both not making it out alive.

I don't see the DEA being able to hold Romero that long for simply lying about having an affair with that woman and Dylan is bound to, at some point, find out Norma died, which will bring him back to Pine Bay. It may not be enjoyable or satisfying for those who hate Norman to watch but you had to know what you were getting coming into this show. We know that Norman does not get caught immediately for killing Norma and I don't see the writers changing that. 

Way too many plot holes and the whole thing felt rushed, like the cancellation hammer came down hard.

The show had a two season renewal after Season 3, so they were already guaranteed a Season 5. Carlon Cuse and the other creators/writers always made it clear, since the first season, that they had a road map and timeline for the show, no matter how successful it was. I don't think A&E is cancelling the show. I just think the creators planned on five seasons. Now granted I expected that they wouldn't kill Norma until the final season but again, kudos to them for throwing a genuine curveball and I am willing to see where they go with the show in the last season.

"You do what you gotta do...but you do know she's dead, right?" - Chick ??

lol...this so much. I know some think he's creepy but I freaking love Chick. His whole hippie/sage whisperer thing cracks me up, especially when he's staring at people with the clear expression of, "well you're batshit crazy but who am I to judge." Honestly, in a very, very dark and depressing episode and just in general what the show is now with Norman totally insane, that moment did make me chuckle. Chick made it clear to Norman that he knew he dug up his dead mother but he was all like, "no judgement...just know that she's dead." I will say, when he said he'd check back in a few days, I thought, "you probably don't want to do that."

If you go back to watch Norman in season 1 and then this episode his downfall is just heartbreaking.  If only Norma had told the truth when Norman killed his father defending her.  They both could have been saved. I wonder who Norman could have been if Norma had let him get help sooner and hadn't worked so hard to keep him too close for so long.  The effort to keep them together doomed them both. 

I've said it since the second season but that is truly the tragedy of this show and story. It's the fact that we will never know. Because maybe Norman would have still ended up a batshit crazy serial killing monster. But it's that "what if" that makes it all so sad. When Norman gave his eulogy to the congregation of no one (and I did laugh when the priest was like, "what now..." when Norman started swearing), as nutty as he is, the one thing he said I thought was pretty on point, was when he said Norma had this childlike innocence about her at times. And it was true.

It was this girlish element that played a part in Norma fostering this very weird and unnatural bond with Norman. But it was also the need to not have him disappoint and abandon her like every other man in her life had before. And in the end, Norman is the one who dealt her the worse betrayal, by killing her. It's really a pity that Vera and Freddie will likely never be honored for this show because they truly produced stellar work and brilliantly portrayed one of the most twisted, creepy, sad and very tragic relationships on television. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 16
(edited)

They should have Norman pull a Weekend at Bernie's if Dylan pops in the first episode next season, posing Norma around the house with her dead stare and saying she isn't feeling well.

Chick is like a bad penny that keeps turning up.  Every time he's at the door you can feel whoever it is, Norma or Norman, just willing him to leave.  I think his number will be up next season if he keeps coming around the house.

This was a pivotal episode in that it's definitely Highmore's show now.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Brooke0707 said:

Very disappointed.  Norma's death was incredibly anticlimactic and not what I hoped it would be at all. 

I'm surprised there aren't more posts like this.  Personally I wanted an epic confrontation between Norma and Norman in his mother persona.   

OTOH I liked Norma, so her dying peacefully and feeling loved in her last moments isn't the worst scenario.

• Love 2

And to think I scoffed when I first heard they were doing a Norman Bates origin story. I feel like I owe the producers and writers a letter of apology. I loved it. I actually would have been alright with the last episode being the season finale but I do prefer that they put a stop to any speculation of whether Norma is alive or dead. There maybe quibbles about plot holes, Norma dying without realizing it was at the hands of the psycho she had a healthy hand in creating, but one thing I give the writers is that damn, did they understand and totally get the pacing and tone right. This season especially. There has been such a cloud of dread and foreboding that hovered over the entire season that sometimes I didn't realize how much it was affecting me until I unclenched. LOL!

One of the plot holes for me is that it strikes me as a bit of a needle scratch that no one every seems to think that Norman is odd. I guess there is no set way that someone is supposed to act when they survive allegedly being murdered by their mother but no one even arches a quizzical eyebrow that the kid that was just released from a two week stint at a mental hospital seems a bit unperturbed by it all? Has anyone tried contacting his psychiatrist?

I've come around on Chick. Mainly because the show seemed to have abandoned the Chick tries to find Norman's brother to get revenge angle. 

All of the funeral home scenes were creepy as hell. I think that is part of the creep factor of this episode, it really kinda of took on and looked at death head on. I don't see that often on tv outside of Six Feet Under episodes. 

Without embalming shouldn't Norma have more signs of decomposing and not to mention stink? Also, I thought funerals homes either sewed or glued the eyelids shut so they didn't pop open during funerals?

Even though I know there are some wonderful architectural details and excellent craftmanship to the Bates home, ugh do I find it dark, dreary, oppressive and unceasingly depressing. It is like a 7,000 sq foot suicide booth. 

Romero is breaking my heart. I applauded when Romero punched Norman. Norman can't fight for shit! Is it any wonder that his victims are women? He probably only gets the jump on them due to the element of surprise. 

Being charged with perjury for lying to an FBI agent is a thing? I can see being charged with making a false statement or obstructing justice but doesn't perjury occur under oath?

8 hours ago, Brooke0707 said:

Norma was the best part of the show to me.

Yes. I am gonna to miss Vera's Norma. Even though I know she will be back next season, it won't be the same as she will be Norman's idea of Norma. 

Even though the color of the dress Norman picked out for Norma to be buried in was lovely, that dress was ugly. It looked like a meemaw of the bride dress.  Conversely, Norma looked stunning in the red dress at the end in the Christmas scene. 

3 hours ago, Luckylyn said:

This episode was devastating and creepy.  If you go back to watch Norman in season 1 and then this episode his downfall is just heartbreaking.  If only Norma had told the truth when Norman killed his father defending her.  They both could have been saved. I wonder who Norman could have been if Norma had let him get help sooner and hadn't worked so hard to keep him too close for so long.  The effort to keep them together doomed them both. 

I think that is the beauty of the show. Even though we all seem to know where this is all headed, we can't help but wish for another outcome. There have been so many chances and wasted opportunities to change the future - wanting Norma to get Norman help; not lie and withhold the truth from those who can possibly help when he finally gets help; tell him truth about his black outs; wanting Norman to go away with Dylan. The list goes on and on but this show keeps chugging towards the inevitable. 

• Love 11

I think Norman will have to get rid of Romero or there's a chance Romero could stand to inherit 1/2 of Norma's estate.  I doubt she had a will.  Also, Norman has no money coming in, how can he financially continue to keep Bates Motel running?

(edited)

Not to speak ill of the dead, but I thought Norma's hairdo always made her look like George Washington.  I wanted her to get to a hair salon.  I liked her hair when she was younger and it was longer, and even at the end in her Christmas garb it looked much better.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 4

Darn...I was hoping that Norma wasn't really dead.  I mean, I'm vaguely familiar with Psycho, so I knew she was going to die eventually, but I was hoping it would happen closer to the series finale.  Vera Farmiga is just head and shoulders above everyone else on the show, so it sucks that this is the end of Norma (I know we'll probably continue to see "Mother," but it's just not the same).  

Like I mentioned last week, pretty much the only time I enjoy Norman's scenes are when he's snarking at Norma.  Unpopular opinion, I'm sure, but solo Norman scenes bore me.  And I get annoyed by the Kermit the Frog-like quality his voice takes on when he is shouting or crying (which is a hell of a lot anymore).

Stay safe in your little Seattle bubble, Dylan (and Emma).  

I hope this ends with Romero taking Norman down.  Kill the little shit if you have to, I don't even care.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, truthaboutluv said:

The show had a two season renewal after Season 3, so they were already guaranteed a Season 5. Carlon Cuse and the other creators/writers always made it clear, since the first season, that they had a road map and timeline for the show, no matter how successful it was. I don't think A&E is cancelling the show. I just think the creators planned on five seasons. Now granted I expected that they wouldn't kill Norma until the final season but again, kudos to them for throwing a genuine curveball and I am willing to see where they go with the show in the last season.

LOL  Carlton Cuse is a known liar about the plotting of his shows. He always says it's all mapped out but all you have to do is endure the seasons, particularly the final season, of LOST to know he's full of shit. That being said, Bates Motel has been plotted a lot tighter. Perhaps the credit goes to his co-creator. I wouldn't doubt.  I think there are places in various plots over the seasons where it's clear they make adaptions to what was most likely their original plans. As well I think some characters have stayed due to actor popularity (Dylan) despite what I suspect their original purpose was while there are other actresses that were likely not used beyond a bigger plan. The girl from season one (Bradley?) was not a fan favorite and it was pretty obvious they switched gears and wrote her out. 

But I agree, this show is definitely one that benefits from being kept to an end date otherwise it would just be dragging on the inevitable. I'm very curious to see if this last season tackles the original Psycho movie plot (w/Marian Crane). It would be fitting to end the series where that movie ends with Sheriff Romero locking him up and Dr. Edwards giving the final explanation on Norman's condition to Lila and Sam. Will they throw in a Detective Arbogast?  Always thought his name was funny. 

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, Peanut6711 said:

Will they throw in a Detective Arbogast?  Always thought his name was funny. 

You know, when that female detective showed up to interview Norman, I thought that they'd stray from the movie and have her be "Arbogast."  I was really afraid for her.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

You know, when that female detective showed up to interview Norman, I thought that they'd stray from the movie and have her be "Arbogast."  I was really afraid for her.

I'm good with whoever Arbogast turns out to be as long as the characters have fun staggering over the name like the sheriff in the original. "Ar-Bo-Gast!" lol Nestor should probably raise his brow when he repeats it and Freddie should bring out that British accent with it. ;-)

• Love 2

I'm glad if this show ends after season 5, it would get redundant if they just continued season after season of Norman killing this or that motel guest, or taking out a main character to cover up his crimes.  Plus it was really Vera Farmiga who carried this show.  Freddie Highmore is great as Norman, but Norman by himself can't carry this show over a long stretch.  It was his dynamic with Norma that made the show work.  This story is a tragedy.  You knew Norma was doomed from the start, and things don't end well for anyone who crosses paths with Norman.  Anyone who knows Norman and things about Norman, including Dylan and Emma, are fair game next season.  My ideal ending for this show, is to have a young woman named Marion Crane check into the Bates Motel in the final scene.

• Love 3

Maybe the show will end with Marion Crane pulling in to the motel for a room.  I'd rather they left the movie alone.

Norma should have some of Romero's money left over, but don't know if Norman will find it/use it.  Romero and Norma had a joint checking account.  Doubtful Norman's name is on anything...wouldn't Romero inherit?  Unless Norman frames him...

• Love 1
(edited)

Norman can't fight for shit! Is it any wonder that his victims are women? He probably only gets the jump on them due to the element of surprise. 

The first person Norman killed was his father. He also killed Cody's dad and while he didn't kill them because yes, they were bigger and stronger than him, he attacked both Caleb and Dylan at separate points. That's just one of the reasons Caleb was another in the long line of people who told Norma that Norman was dangerous. Norman also attacked the psychologist professor guy last season.

Norman is batshit crazy so he'll attack anyone who he feels threatened by or especially feels threatened his bond with Norma. I mean do we really think he wouldn't have tried to kill Romero if he hadn't instead settled on his murder/suicide plan with Norma? I will say that based on the movie lore, it does seem like most of his victims later were females but that was probably because of the twisted nature of his relationship with Norma that had eventually fucked him up about sex, love and women. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 4

I just watched the finale again, and it was worse the second time.  I actually felt such sympathy for Norman, wishing he could have received the help he needed years ago.  Instead he had a mother who loved him so much she couldn't admit even to herself that something terrible was wrong with him.  Freddie really got to me this time.  This show really got to me like no other I can recall.

• Love 5

Even playing a corpse, VF kicks ass.  

Everybody was so good in this episode.  Even the family from the funeral home did a great job bringing in a few much-needed funny moments.  The son rolling his eyes when the father was boasting about his daughter's skills, and the look of shock and horror on the father's face when Norman began losing it during the euology...priceless.  

Even though Dylan looked crushed, I have never been so relieved to see someone get rejected as I was when Norman shut Dylan out of his life.  

And yes, the dress was periwinkle blue.  I would have been so disappointed by anything else.

I wonder if next season will be a long game of cat and mouse between Norman and Romero?  They're both so intense and I would be down for that, despite knowing who will win.

Great show...so very depressing, but really wonderful job by all involved, including Juno, whose cuteness made the whole thing that much sadder and more tragic.  I think Hitchcock would be smiling...

• Love 7

No matter how creepy this show gets, I love that they always manage to insert some dark comedy.  The scene with Chick was especially funny as was the one with Norman losing his shit in the middle of the eulogy.  

I felt badly for Dylan.  He looked so hurt and puzzled when Norman shut him out, even though he likely just dodged a bullet.   I wonder how he is going to react to the news of Norma's death.  

It's going to be difficult to watch this show next season now that Norma is gone.  The Norma/Norman relationship was really the heart and soul of this series, and as great of job as Freddie doing, I just don't know how interesting it will be without the dynamic Norma and Norman brought to the show.  Thankfully it will only be 10 episodes, time enough to wrap up the loose ends with Dylan, Emma and Romero.  

• Love 7

All I know is, going forward, I want Dylan, Emma and Romero to come out of this alive.  Heck, even Chick with his weird self. (The casserole won me over.)

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

All I know is, going forward, I want Dylan, Emma and Romero to come out of this alive.  Heck, even Chick with his weird self. (The casserole won me over.)

Ohwell, make a chicken enchilada casserole, bring it over, and we'll have a sit-down.

Wonder if Norman will return the baking dish.

• Love 4