Type keyword(s) to search

The Grand Tour - General Discussion

• Start Topic

9 hours ago, Subrookie said:

Hard to believe how hard the old cars were to shift. I've driven some old '50s era trucks and never ground the hell out of the gears. But, I thought the line about how cars today, 60 years later, are only 4 seconds faster was great. 

The cars were reproduced racing cars rather than street cars, so I'm guessing they were equipped with "crash" gearboxes.  Clarkson says at one point they have no synchromesh.  Also at some point, one of them mention that it would have been easier with a box that needs you to double-declutch.  Still, I'd expect these guys to do a better job of changing, even with the crash box, given that driving all sorts of cars is their job.  So I suspect some of the crunching and grinding was for effect, rather than from necessity.  

ETA: Yes, Vintage vehicles may be primitive, but that doesn't mean they didn't have beans!  I mean, a Blower Bentley from nearly 100 years ago could still top 130 MPH!

Edited by Netfoot

I agree with them hamming it up a bit with the shifting. These guys all probably have at least one reasonably old car with a manual transmission. 

Big fan of seeing the old sports cars as well. No power steering, brakes, and those tires were probably 15 or 16s. 

21 hours ago, Subrookie said:

Really enjoyed the fog part of the episode. Jeremy running into the folks that were either following the production crew or just got caught up in what they were doing. 

Hard to believe how hard the old cars were to shift. I've driven some old '50s era trucks and never ground the hell out of the gears. But, I thought the line about how cars today, 60 years later, are only 4 seconds faster was great. 

If I had to choose, I'd probably pick one of those old racing cars over a new rice rocket. And, what a car collection Sting's drummer has! 

The car collection was the Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason's not Stuart Copeland's.   And he's the drummer for the Police, not just Sting.  Not trying to be nitpicky, but the Police were all equals not just working for Sting.  *big Police fan, not so much a Sting fan. 

• Love 1

I don't know if I was in a particularly good mood or what, but this episode had me cracking up repeatedly. The fog, Jeremy and Richard trying to get James pulled over for speeding, attack cows, Hitler, no Churchill. I give Richard credit for not attempting the banked track, the fear in Jeremy's face was real and I swear his back tires were close to lifting off the ground on one of those turns.

• Love 3

Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May attempt to build a road-legal amphibious car with which they can smash a British water speed record. Elsewhere in this show, Jeremy looks back at two 1990s supercars, the Jaguar XJ220 and Bugatti EB 110 SS, and Celebrity Face Off finds the world's fastest magician as Dynamo goes head-to-head against Penn and Teller.

Clarkson says he prefers the look of the Jag.  But while I always did love that V6 out of the insane 6R4 Metro, the Bugatti was definitely the better looking of the two.

And you can always count on this team for fabulous cinematography, but you don't often see a de Havilland Dragon and a Dragon-Rapide posed nonchalantly in the background at the same time!

My old mate Nick, with whom I spent a few days last summer, used to own a Bond Bug.  Back in the days when we were both students.  And stupid, apparently.  I never drove it myself, but I've been a passenger often enough, and it is terrifying to ride in.  (Especially with Nick piloting!) Every time the car made a turn, I was sure it was going over onto the roof.  It was a jaw-clenching, leatherette-puckering, white-knuckle ride, from start to finish, every time!  OMG, believe me.  

Congratulations to the lads for breaking the record.  40+ miles an hour on water is faast!  You could see the Pond Bug was zipping along, but I really couldn't tell whether it was going to do it or not!

• Love 2

According to Richard Porter on X-Ray, he had permission from the manufacturer. 

On 1/27/2018 at 8:46 PM, Steff said:

And he's the drummer for the Police, not just Sting.  Not trying to be nitpicky, but the Police were all equals not just working for Sting.  *big Police fan, not so much a Sting fan. 

Subrookie may have been purposefully channeling that conversation about how drummers are called so-and-so's drummer rather than be known by their own name. I know I hadn't heard of Mitch Mitchell.

I'm a fan of Stewart Copeland and really enjoyed seeming him on The Police's reunion tour ten years ago. It's good the show got a guest who could not only inject some entertaining energy - Kanye's my bitch! - but had good rapport with his fellow interviewee Nick Mason who he surprisingly hadn't met before.

It feels a little odd that Richard has shown safety sense a few times this season but hopefully it means that these instances were filmed after the Rimac crash and he's learning some limits. I vaguely remember Mindy Hammond saying something about her having a bad feeling and unusually calling him twice before they filmed the hill climb.

The headlights on that Bugatti looked terrible. To be honest, I didn't like either car, then or now. But I'm not a supercar fan anyway.

Breaking the amphibious speed record was amusing. Particularly their first attempt, managing three miles an hour while Richard walked alongside. The Bond Bug is a ridiculous car, but it actually looked better as a boat. It is fairly impressive that they beat that speed record. And fairly terrifying that 85% of people who attempt the actual water speed record are killed. That's a statistic that should put everyone off pursuing it!

As usual though, the best bit of the show was the chat section. These three are always at their best when they're just riffing with one another, and the jokes about Hammond crashing all the time aren't getting old yet. I do like it when Jeremy gets these notions into his head, like the way women take off jumpers. I'd never really thought about it, but I've never even tried to do the crossing arms method.

I skipped the celebrity bit. Could not be less interested in magicians.

On 2/5/2018 at 12:37 PM, Danny Franks said:

I skipped the celebrity bit. Could not be less interested in magicians.

It is Penn & Teller, though. And Penn was quick with the quips. Dynamo, who I've never heard of, had tricks that would have been impressive had I not seen so many magicians do iterations of them on Penn & Teller: Fool Us.

Edited by halopub
italics

Motoring Box, with promo pics:

Well next week, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May reluctantly agree to test three SUVs in the rugged landscapes of Canada. Clarkson in the Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio, Hammond in the Porsche Macan Turbo Performance Pack and May in the Range Rover Velar. The boys will test their cars’ sporting side at a race track and their utilitarian side with some enormous dogs, before ending in an epic race across the snowy mountains.

Also in this show, Jeremy embarks on a legally perilous test of the Tesla Model X. This will mark the first time we’ve seen him drive a Tesla on-screen since the controversial Roadster review in 2008.

Plus, Celebrity Face Off finds the world’s fastest golf enthusiast as Rory McIlroy takes on Paris Hilton.

If we set aside performance, I find all three of those SUVs to be aesthetically offensive in the front.

In promoting season two, Jeremy has already talked to Mashable about liking aspects of the Model X. [video]

I liked the cheeky Tesla review - there was no way Jeremy was going to ignore the failed lawsuits against him. The silly doors on the X, though, are designed to open in tight spots so the "lawyers" wouldn't actually have been boxed into that parking space.

Celebrity Face Off was about what I expected. Paris is much more likable when she feels secure enough not to resort to her baby voice. I actually liked that story of her and Nicky going joyriding in the golf carts as kids.

• Love 1

I also really enjoyed the Tesla review. I’m also constantly impressed whenever they have one of those Fords on. Man. I have no need for it but Jeremy always makes me want that truck. 

• Love 1
On 2/9/2018 at 10:41 AM, halopub said:

I liked the cheeky Tesla review - there was no way Jeremy was going to ignore the failed lawsuits against him. The silly doors on the X, though, are designed to open in tight spots so the "lawyers" wouldn't actually have been boxed into that parking space.

Celebrity Face Off was about what I expected. Paris is much more likable when she feels secure enough not to resort to her baby voice. I actually liked that story of her and Nicky going joyriding in the golf carts as kids.

Is that why she sounded so different?! 

I laughed so hard at Jeremy saying randomly that ye is 57, then the boat sailed down the hill.  Also, James testicles retreating.  I love their comments.  Funniest episode! 

Also, loved how Jeremy said if James had hanged himself, they would have said it was by autoerotic asphyxiation.  

Edited by Cherry Cola
  • Love 1

Apparently the baby voice is something she's used since a kid for manipulation and then later on, to construct that whole dumb blonde, party persona Paris has monetized so well. I think she's also talked about how she still reverts to the baby voice and catchphrases when she feels out of her element. "That's sick."

I can respect how Paris has made her own money without liking her, her methods or political deafness. 

Edited to add: A law firm has tweeted that the woman in the Tesla's front passenger seat is one of their barristers. So were all the passengers actual lawyers?

Edited by halopub
added info
  • Love 1

The SUV comparison was amusing, but I was kind of hoping they'd just go for attainable cars, after banging on about how many people buy them. Instead, we get an Alfa, a Jag and a bloody Range Rover (which, to contradict Jeremy, is possibly the ugliest iteration of the Range Rover I've seen). It's hardly surprising that they would be better to drive than a Nissan Kumquat, is it? Jeremy losing his boat, and Jame's boat sinking, were predictable but the sort of 'lighter hand' writing that the show needs.

The Tesla review was fun, and it was nice to see Jeremy unabashedly amazed by an electric car. He didn't have much negative to say at all (even before the lawyers turned up). And some of the things it does are amazing. Still, the one criticism he did have was totally valid. $150,000! Good grief. I'd love to own a Tesla, but they still seem a way away from being a practical replacement for a petrol car. Yes, there's a charging point on my road (the only one I know of that's anywhere near), but my road is over 300 yards long, with the charging point at one end and my house at the other. And that point is always in use, by a Tesla or a Nissan.

But the lawyers were fun, and I always liked Jeremy when he's acting like a big, sulky kid who's been told off. He has so much charm, in a buffoonish sort of way.

Again, didn't watch the celeb bit. I don't like Rory McIlroy, and I have absolutely no interest in anything Paris Hilton has to say.

• Love 2

In this mini -special, Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May decide to attempt to end world hunger with an incredible journey across Mozambique. The three notice that people in the coastal regions of this country are well-fed on the bountiful supplies of fish from the ocean, while those in the interior exist on the brink of hunger. Their solution is to find a way to transport that fish inland but, predictably, they cannot agree on the best method to do this. With Clarkson in a Nissan pick-up, May in an old Mercedes 200T, and Hammond on a brand new TVS Star motorcycle, the three invent different methods of food transportation and set off an epic, challenging and extraordinary journey to try and save the world.

I heard some genuine laughs at the end of the promo, which is usually a good sign. 

So this episode actually made a very valid point about global economics. The inequality they showed, on a micro scale, is the same inequality that sees communities and entire countries poor and deprived. Instead of an abundance of fish two hundred miles from a poor village, but with seemingly now way to transport them, it's a staggering over abundance of wealth consolidated by a few, with no desire to share it.

It's always evident in these Africa shows they do. Parts of a country that are built up and have good roads, and parts that are just completely on their own, with no apparent funding or infrastructure.

I liked the different (but equally incompetent) methods the guys came up with. Jeremy going with a hi-tech, 'western' solution, James being more ingenious and practical, and Hammond embracing the traditional and bespoke methods that already existed. And his was the only one that looked like there was actually a workable (if small scale) business opportunity to be found in it, with some refinement.

I did laugh out loud at James being proud of catching that fish in his hands, showing it to the camera and promptly dropping it. Then "sorry, mate" to the fish. And at him constantly being drenched.

The banter was good throughout the episode. Bickering over how Richard got his octopus, telling James not to be boring about making salt water. Jeremy sneering at motorcycles never gets old. Nor does Richard getting angry at the world for all his mishaps. "Argh. That's a thorn tree! Get off!"

Also, "you could make a film of all his crashes and call it Wrong Way Up."

• Love 4

Just finished the ep with Dear Husband.  Both of us were disappointed.  Heard tell of some who saw this as racist, but that I did not see.

oh, well, we’ll just wait for next season.

Yeah, it was a weird one. DannyFranks pointed out that the episode illustrated socioeconomic issues in a digestible way, which I count as a positive. However, that cynical ending, with the would be do-gooders helicoptering off away from their failure felt especially depressing in light of what's been revealed recently about NGOs like celebrity-supported Oxfam. Granted, that was news that came to light long after the trip was filmed. 

I can go without any future Long Way Round, Ewan McGregor references. The Grand Tour couldn't have anticipated that the actor would go through all that personal drama after their trip but how he's handled that mess has ruined my love of those two motorcycle shows.

I'm not that broken up by this. The entire concept of the show just seems very tired, these days. They've done as much as they can do with it, and the sense of them scraping the barrel is palpable, even amongst the (less frequent) funny bits of The Grand Tour.

There are only so many times they can take expensive cars to drive around other countries, or cheap cars to drive around the UK, or turn cars into something else. And those parts are the core appeal of the show. Testing new cars isn't enough, interviewing minor celebrities isn't enough.

Never the less, I regret this news.  I don't love every segment of their shows, but I always enjoy watching.  My favourite segments are the specials, where they take different vehicles and travel across some part of the world.  (My absolute favourite was the Vietnam special, where they traveled on motorcycles.)

Perhaps their time has come.  But I hope they will find a way to continue to entertain me for a while to come yet.

• Love 3

This appears to be just rumor at this time.

I’m only catching up on S1 and, while there are parts that I don’t think are working, I still enjoy watching. I know some changes were made for S2 so I hope it improves. I’ll continue watching these three. 

• Love 1

I just binged watch the season and saw this episode.

I liked it, I thought it had some great moments and falls into the threesoms best shows stereotypes. Send them out to do something and see what happens. I was not thrilled with the solve world hunger bit, only because it felt a bit cavalier. Maybe even dismissive and I don't think that is what they were going for. They did succeed in pointing out how hard it is to provide basic necessities and support to many parts of the world. The infrastructure in so many parts of the world is simply awful which prevents modern forms of transportation from working effectively. I think I would have liked to see one of the guys do something with a horse train or donkey train or whatever the beast of burden is in that area train. I suspect that it would have been easier, faster and more effective to deliver dried fish with an animal train then with the cars. Essentially, Richard was on the right track but a donkey and not a motorcycle and already dries fish as opposed to drying it while driving.

I thought James's idea was fine except that it would be expensive and impractical given the roads. Jeremey's was, of course, totally ridiculous.

I suspect that the episode was meant to point to the difficulties of travel in third world countries but I am not sure that it came off all that well. On top of that, the village that they were delivering the fish to appeared to have a good number of relatively healthy looking individuals who appeared to be just fine.

In the end, there were some great moments that were humorous but it felt off because the subject matter was too serious and it just wasn't a great one to take on with their type of humor. Toss in trying to sell fish that was polluted by deiseal exhaust and it just was wrong.  

Late to the game but I enjoyed this episode.  I am thrilled to see Richard saying no to certain challenges. I understand why he would be worried and I like that he is ok with saying No and that the guys will give him only a little bit of crap about it.

Overall a fun episode.

I was looking for a place to make a general suggestion about the board for the third season and this looks like the best fit.

There is not a lot of traffic on the board. Maybe it would be better to have one episode topic for people to discuss the various episodes across the season. I think it would run a bit more smoothly and lead to more conversation and discussion of the season as a whole instead of the individual episodes.

• Love 2

Grand Tour aficionados:  BBCAmerica is running a two hour retrospective of the original Top Gear tonight, 28 May, at 9p Eastern, 8p central.  DVR alert!!!

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:38 AM, ProfCrash said:

I was looking for a place to make a general suggestion about the board for the third season and this looks like the best fit.

There is not a lot of traffic on the board. Maybe it would be better to have one episode topic for people to discuss the various episodes across the season. I think it would run a bit more smoothly and lead to more conversation and discussion of the season as a whole instead of the individual episodes.

This is an issue a mod needs to decide.  I'm not sure if this board has a mod since, as you state, it's low volume, but you can always PM @SilverStormm with the request. That's what I'd recommend.

4 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

This is an issue a mod needs to decide.  I'm not sure if this board has a mod since, as you state, it's low volume, but you can always PM @SilverStormm with the request. That's what I'd recommend.

The mod PMed me. I couldn't figure out who it was and this seemed to be the best place to drop a suggestion. (shrugs)

On 12/17/2017 at 7:39 PM, surveyandprotect1 said:

Clarkson calls "JetBlue" to request that Hammond and May get downgraded from "business class". The problem is that JetBlue doesn't have classes at all. 

JetBlue doesn't have Business Class, but they do have classes with "Mint" and "Even More Space" as options and they cater to business needs with additional flexibility on ticket changes.  However, on the direct flights from JFK to Buffalo Mint/First Class isn't available, but the "Even More Space" is available in the first two rows (4 seats).   Still, the phone calls to Jet Blue were faked/scripted as was the late boarding with the wheel chair.  Getting off last after the other passengers had disembarked would be correct sequence.

I'm a bit surprised that JetBlue went along with this as it likely caused some reputation damage if people that it was real and with the ding on the legroom as they advertise that they have the most legroom in coach.

• Love 1

He's looked pregnant for a number of years. I'm more alarmed that May's gut is going down the same path.

The first ep was okay - I didn't miss the celebrity segment; the dig at the new Top Gear presenter was relatively subtle and May's quips - scripted or not - were delivered with precision.

The trailer for the Columbia special which will be released Friday and Saturday: 

• Love 1

Part 1 of the Colombia special was pretty great. Classic Top Gear if you ask me. 

Can't believe the donkey segment. Could have sworn it was fake/staged but I see there are some documentaries about that particular practice in that area. Jeremy looked seriously pissed about it. 

• Love 2

I guess I am the only one who didn't like it as much. I basically watch the show like this.

the show comes on and I fast forward to the first car segment, once they get back to the talking heads, I fast forward to the next driving bit. Rinse and repeat.

I only watch the show to see the great cars so seeing these 2 old trucks and that other car was a bit meh for me.

does anyone else watch this way or is it only me?

After watching the second part I feel like this is one of their best specials ever. It pretty much had everything. Great scenery, great pranks, great customizations and some decent car related drama. That 38' scissor lift was the funniest mod I've seen Clarkson do. He had balls to go up in that thing. Loved the hummingbird bit as well.

Also funny to see that they did do the Hammond crapping in the woods caught on the nature camera in the middle of the night. 

That little panda was also a surprisingly rugged car.

• Love 4

The 2 part special was great! I love the long trips, so a season of that sounds good to me. I love the 3 guys, they make me laugh. 

On the dusty area, they looked like they were on another planet.  The Panda was awesome.  Sounded fun to drive.  And so very James. 

• Love 2

Episode 4: Kind of an average episode. The Jaguar Project 8 piece was quite nice. Never tire of hearing their V8. Owned an F-Type R for 3 years and loved it.

The truck film had its moments but was overly scripted and the trucks themselves weren't that interesting. They actually didn't really cover much about them other than a few specs here and there. Also of note is that this piece was apparently shot for season 2 so before more tinkering to their formula happened. 

I always enjoy conversation street. The bickering over the spitfire vs the hurricane was entertaining.

Anyway a step down from the great Colombia 2 parter.

• Love 2

I've watched the Colombia special twice now. I love that they showed us the "real" bits when the guys had reached their limits--James throwing a rock at Jeremy's jeep, Richard shaking and begging to be let off the bridge, Jeremy strolling around the little village in cut off trousers and laughing over being recognized by a fan.

I've decided I'm going to start shouting "BORED! I'm bored now." whenever I am.

• Love 2

Or like Sherlock.

Really enjoyed the piece on Jim Clark. Even Jeremy was teary and I'm sure he'd seen the piece many times before they showed it to the tent audience. Maybe that's something the trio can get back into on the side - interesting history pieces that'd be right at home with 30-for-30 audience. 

Richard's rant about his wife's horse made me chuckle.

It was a bit of a throwaway segment, but I liked the idea of making the Lamborghini SUV climb the ski slope.

• Love 1

The caravan special was again one of their best episodes. Also one of the longest single episodes at 1h:21m. It sounds like this was a test episode for their new format next season when they lose the tent. They showed that they could still do a single location/theme and mix up the type of vehicles with little mini segments. The dune buggies and race track segments.

I think it works and this one was packed full of comedy and hijinks. They were in my neck of the woods so it was kind of a shame that they limited themselves to a very very small part of southern nevada. From their first RV spot to their last was only about 20 miles apart.

Took me way too long to realize it was season 1's "The American" that was haunting Jeremy. 

• Love 4
On 3/1/2019 at 4:10 PM, lynxfx said:

Took me way too long to realize it was season 1's "The American" that was haunting Jeremy. 

Don't feel bad. It took me until right now when I read what you wrote and I've watched every episode more than once. I kept thinking it was Evel Knievel's ghost but couldn't figure out why. I can't believe I forgot about "The American"! Thanks!! 

• Love 1