Type keyword(s) to search

Season 1-3 Discussion

• Start Topic

Drea. Gah. Couldn't stand her, she was so OTT annoying. I was rooting for the man contestant, the one who dressed up his dog. He was cute and fun, and having a good time. Drea was like she was auditioning for some obnoxious Real Housewives show or something.

I don't know, I thought she was kind of fun, and I'm guessing she's exactly the kind of contestant they audition for (to whatever extent they audition these people). They are obviously picked for their personalities rather than their ability to play the game successfully. But I realize these days a lot of TV viewers are suffering from Sofia Vergara overload and she reminded me of her a little.

Really guys? Not to pop culture shame but

OK, I have a very vague recollection of that music video, but as someone who came of age during that era, I have to say it still doesn't come to mind as one of his bigger hits. "Bad" was the big song from that album from what I recall. It's definitely not what I would have guessed as the top answer to the question 30 years later. Maybe it's become more popular with the resurgence of his work and that's why it doesn't come to mind.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 1
  • Replies 996
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know, I thought she was kind of fun, and I'm guessing she's exactly the kind of contestant they audition for (to whatever extent they audition these people). They are obviously picked for their personalities rather than their ability to play the game successfully. But I realize these days a lot of TV viewers are suffering from Sofia Vergara overload and she reminded me of her a little.

OK, I have a very vague recollection of that music video, but as someone who came of age during that era, I have to say it still doesn't come to mind as one of his bigger hits. "Bad" was the big song from that album from what I recall. It's definitely not what I would have guessed as the top answer to the question 30 years later. Maybe it's become more popular with the resurgence of his work and that's why it doesn't come to mind.

As time goes on, I just have to take it as people know what they know. It was a huge song. More so because of the video. His design in the Sega genesis game based on him comes from the video. It came out around the time of the moonwalker movie. There isn't anything now making it bigger. It just was big. At the time. The number 2 song after Bad. 

But, there are all these empty spots of pop culture knowledge in our minds we have. 

Like the whole George Bush thing. George of the jungle never once popped in my mind. I know what it is. I liked to 90s movie. It just wasn't on my mind. I'm just thinking, they are trying to lead to a joke about shaving down there with the all over line so it just be Bush. Regardless of the gender involved. But, that was me. I guess those are the best answer. Where there at least 2, it must be this, answers. So, you don't know what people will say.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Drea. Gah. Couldn't stand her, she was so OTT annoying. I was rooting for the man contestant, the one who dressed up his dog. He was cute and fun, and having a good time. Drea was like she was auditioning for some obnoxious Real Housewives show or something.

She made herself so unlikable, just awful.  I was also rooting for the male contestant to no avail.  Poor episode to end the season.

4 hours ago, Racj82 said:

As time goes on, I just have to take it as people know what they know. It was a huge song. More so because of the video. His design in the Sega genesis game based on him comes from the video. It came out around the time of the moonwalker movie. There isn't anything now making it bigger. It just was big. At the time. The number 2 song after Bad. 

I would even say that it has outlived Bad. You don't really hear that song on the radio anymore but I hear Smooth Criminal quite often on pop and rock stations. It is also one that has gotten quite a few covers over the last 20 years. It just has one of those beats that is instantly recognizable even if you don't necessarily know what the song is called.

• Love 1

I'm getting too old for this show. For a while I wasn't matching anyone! For the "smooth" super match, I said Jazz. I do, however, know Smooth Criminal AND Smooth Operator. Oh, and for "Howard," my first response was Johnsons, but I immediately thought that might be too old a reference, and it was.

There were too many possibilities for that carnival/sex position question. I mean, anything would fit. I thought Side Show or Ferris Wheel. Heck, you could even say Deep-Fried Twinkie.

Was Drea really faking it? The whole accent and demeanor seemed a put-on.

The guy in the first round looked like he could be Giovanni Ribisi's cousin.

The Monitor Match was pointless. Please don't do that anymore.

Edited by peeayebee

It made me feel old, and sad, that Howard Cosell didn't make the cut. It was the first thing that occurred to me. How on earth did more people answer Howard the Duck? Huh?? That left my radar eons ago.

Sugar Ray is a charming guy, but a lousy Match Game player. Those washboard abs, though! Yowza.

Was shocked to see this was the season finale. Seems like it just started. 

21 hours ago, opus said:

I went with smooth operator (which was also a hit song title. By Sade)

At least smooth operator is a common expression.  Smooth criminal winning surprised me because it's an old song (30 years, people, if you really want to feel old) and it's not really a common expression.  But yes, it has had a long shelf life due to the beat and the anti-lean move in the video...even if it's not one whose name is instantly obvious based on the lyrics.

4 hours ago, DXD526 said:

It made me feel old, and sad, that Howard Cosell didn't make the cut. It was the first thing that occurred to me. How on earth did more people answer Howard the Duck? Huh?? That left my radar eons ago.

Sugar Ray is a charming guy, but a lousy Match Game player. Those washboard abs, though! Yowza.

Howard the Duck has had a bit of a resurgence in the public eye because the character had a little cameo in one of the marvel movies )Guardians of the Galaxy). So, even if people didn't know what he was, the knew after the cameo was seen or explained. It's also often mention on many videos and lists that talk about box office bombs so it's notorious in that sense.

On 9/15/2018 at 9:07 AM, DXD526 said:

What? I didn't know that. I'm surprised, too.

On 9/15/2018 at 12:15 PM, Irlandesa said:

At least smooth operator is a common expression.  Smooth criminal winning surprised me because it's an old song (30 years, people, if you really want to feel old) and it's not really a common expression.  

To state the obvious, it all depends who's in the audience when the poll is taken. Young people, boomers, elderly?

On 6/29/2018 at 12:01 PM, iMonrey said:

I really want to know what those celebrities are drinking. I mean, Jack basically admitted to being drunk. Maybe he was joking but they've all got a glass of something. You never saw that back on the original show.

Are you kidding? They were drinking on the original all the time. Now to fairvthey we’re not nearly as brazen about it, but there are episodes where you can see it at least one where it is actually called out. If you don’t believe me ask Betty White. :)

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, Sylvan said:

Are you kidding? They were drinking on the original all the time. Now to fairvthey we’re not nearly as brazen about it, but there are episodes where you can see it at least one where it is actually called out. If you don’t believe me ask Betty White. :)

They smoked too.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, peeayebee said:

To state the obvious, it all depends who's in the audience when the poll is taken. Young people, boomers, elderly?

This is especially true of the original, daytime show.  You have to ask yourself who would have the time to spend at a game show taping.  Young college kids at one end, and retired folks at the other.  Then sprinkle in some families on vacation.

On 5/5/2018 at 4:06 PM, DaveT1081 said:

Ever cackling Kaye Stevens was without a doubt the most annoying of all. In my opinion, she exhibited all the insecure attention-grabbing and exaggerated emotions of a typical drunk.  Might explain her close attachment to Christian ministry later in life - she may have found relief through her faith.  Or maybe she just had a huge ego. 

UGH! Her cackling kills me.  Does anyone else notice that Richard Dawson basically keeps his back COMPLETELY turned on her the whole time? He refused to engage her.   He was CLEARLY annoyed.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he told Johnny Olsen he wasn’t coming back if they ever had her back on again lol. 

I have to put this out here and this is the best spot I can think of.

While the premise of the original Match Game was to coyly say as close to the 'naughty' thoughts everyone was thinking with to fill the  [Blank]in with, sometimes contestants managed to say answers so amazingly out of left field that there was no need to spin them into anything else.

Case in point: Back in 1979,  a contestant was supposed to fill in the blank for the $5000 SuperMatch in which the contestant had to EXACTLY match the star to win the cash. Anyway, the clue was 'Cuckoo [BLANK]'. After a relatively lengthy wait for the star (in this case one Robert Walden then semi-hot playing one of Lou Grant's reporters), the contestant proudly gave her answer:

"Cuckoo,[ Friend and Ollie]!"

This immediately sent all the stars and the entire studio audience into wild hysterics with Mr. Rayburn spinning the 'SuperMatch' wheel and urging folks backstage to run for their lives! It took some time for everyone to calm down with Elaine Joyce attempting to excuse the contestant by pondering if she'd misunderstood the question but Mr. Rayburn had SHOWN her the card from which he'd read the clue so there was no confusion on the contestant's part in that regard.  It was explained to the contestant that the name of the classic children's show had been Kukla, Fran and Ollie but evidently she had been too young to have learned the correct name when it was on, although Kukla and Ollie (worked by their puppeteer Burr Tillstrom) had been recent guest players on the show just weeks beforehand. Anyway, Mr. Walden was reluctant to give his reply by asking Mr. Rayburn if he HAD written ' Friend and Ollie' if that would prevent him from being asked to play on the show again, but after being assured that that wouldn't kill any future returns, he finally revealed his actual answer of  'Cuckoo[Clock]!

Edited by Blergh
bolding
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, Blergh said:

Case in point: Back in 1979....

We live in amazing times. After reading your story I quickly went to youtube and put in "match game cuckoo" and that clip was there.

Enjoy!

• Love 4

Earlier on the same episode, one of her maingame questions was "That centipede must be an athlete.  He just bought 100 pairs of sneakers and a ______," and she answered "accordion"(which is why Robert Walden holds up a card with "accordion" before revealing his real answer).

Edited by smittykins
On 9/15/2018 at 11:07 AM, DXD526 said:

It made me feel old, and sad, that Howard Cosell didn't make the cut. It was the first thing that occurred to me. . . .

Sugar Ray is a charming guy, but a lousy Match Game player.

I just saw this episode on rerun.
Howard Cosell was my first thought, but I figured it was wrong for this version of the Match Game (I also watch the 70s version on BUZZR). 
But what really got to me was poor Sugar Ray. I was going to say that they should never have professional boxers on a game show that requires quick thinking, but Richard Dawson did some professional boxing before he was both a Match Game contestant in the 70s and later a host for Family Feud. IDK, maybe Richard Dawson never had any concussions.

It's back and wow that first episode had some horrible celeb answers that lead to two hilarious reveals. Jillian Bell was a rock star. I still can't believe she matched fidget spinner. My first thought was "slinky" for a boyish toy in his pants.

I matched both times in the final clue with her. Surprised that both contestants failed on that. 

Tyler Hoechlin and Horatio Sanz are complete wastes of time on this show. It still seems like they don't really understand the game. 

5 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

Both sets of contestants seemed like they were actors., there was something off with the whole episode.

Did anyone else think this was off - for the final celebrity match of the first half, the clue was "blank PUNCH", and as the celebrities were conferring, one of them said "go with your gut".  Really seemed like she was trying to give a very obvious hint.  But neither the player nor the celebrity seemed to pick up on it, so I guess it's all good...?

Yeah, it was weird that Jillian was so in sync with people the entire game and then let her person down for the $25,000 question both times. I did think "sucker punch" instead of "fruit punch" (did anyone notice Kenan's "Black people love Kool-Aid!"), but most younger people would say "Genie in a bottle" I think, because of the Christina Aguilera song, before they would think "Message in a bottle".

6 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Did anyone else think this was off - for the final celebrity match of the first half, the clue was "blank PUNCH", and as the celebrities were conferring, one of them said "go with your gut".  Really seemed like she was trying to give a very obvious hint.  But neither the player nor the celebrity seemed to pick up on it, so I guess it's all good...?

That's not a clue, it's just an expression. Even if they were saying it louder to give a hint, the fact that it is a common expression removes any hint you might be trying to make.

1 hour ago, Racj82 said:

That's not a clue, it's just an expression. Even if they were saying it louder to give a hint, the fact that it is a common expression removes any hint you might be trying to make.

It just caught my attention because "gut punch" seemed like a possibility for the answer.

2 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

It just caught my attention because "gut punch" seemed like a possibility for the answer.

Even after reading through this I still didn't pick up on "gut punch" until you just said it. lol  My first instinct was "sucker punch". Same with "message in a bottle". If I go with the first word that pops in my head it seems that I tend to match more often. When I think too much I end up second guessing myself. 

On 1/11/2019 at 6:47 AM, Phishbulb said:

Yeah, it was weird that Jillian was so in sync with people the entire game and then let her person down for the $25,000 question both times.

I think the problem made have been that she was consulting with others, which absolutely makes no sense since she, by herself, was matching the contestants. Oh well.

I still hate that Monitor Match, or whatever it's called. It's pointless and stupid. Also, since the first one showed Alec holding a giant cellphone, I figured the user had to be a giant person. I went with Jolly Green Giant. I certainly understand saying Kim Kardashian for butt-dialing, but then why show a giant phone? 

I thought of two answers for the" ___ in a bottle" match: genie and time. I went with genie. Message didn't occur to me.

5 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I certainly understand saying Kim Kardashian for butt-dialing, but then why show a giant phone? 

I believe it was a large phone to emphasize that it would take a "large" butt to butt-dial. The two answers we immediately came up with were Kim and J-Lo since they are known for their big behinds. But Jolly Green Giant is a funny answer when looking at from a different angle. :)

14 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I thought of two answers for the" ___ in a bottle" match: genie and time. I went with genie. Message didn't occur to me.

I had genie and time and thought of ship in a bottle too. I also didn't think of message, and would have gone with genie.

I'm really annoyed by the extroverted, loud, hyped-up contestants. It's obvious the show wants them to act larger than life, but I prefer more low-key ones.

I don't know why Alec liked the Siegfried and Roy question so much. My half-hearted answer was 'tiger treats.' At least I matched with Joel.

I thought Jason Biggs answer of 'magazines' was very good for the Cosmopolitan question. I said 'booze,' but his answer seemed to fit the Dumb Dora type better.

• Love 2

Sometimes the answers make me feel old because "Drop the Mic" never occurred to me. "Drop the Act" is what I thought of and nobody said it.

For what babies and old people both love to do I said "drool."

On 1/17/2019 at 2:27 PM, peeayebee said:

I thought Jason Biggs answer of 'magazines' was very good for the Cosmopolitan question.

I completely agree with you because my answer was magazines  :)

• Love 1
On 1/17/2019 at 7:39 PM, iMonrey said:

Sometimes the answers make me feel old because "Drop the Mic" never occurred to me. "Drop the Act" is what I thought of and nobody said it.

For what babies and old people both love to do I said "drool."

Drop the mic was stupid cause most just says mic drop.

Drop the mic was the first thing we thought of. Second was drop the bass. 

I was thinking cosmopolitans for the cosmopolitan one. Seemed too perfect. I think the judges would have let that match with booze.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

For "I Love _" I would have said "Lucy." Shows how old I am.

I'm 36. Not THAT old. That's immediately what I went to. But, you was the most obvious and generic one.