Type keyword(s) to search

Wie Is De Mol? - General Discussion

• Start Topic

whaaaaaaaaaat.

Okay, so I obviously got that wrong. I'm going to stick with Simone as my next choice, especially since in the train challenge she seems to have organized her packages with many of the labels not facing out, so it would be hard to check her work. (Then again, Jan's packages were COMPLETELY impossible to check since they were all piled in a messy heap.)

I'm pretty sure someone chucked two red boxes off the side of the train when no one was looking, and probably switched a yellow and a green box too.

The editing is certainly trying to make it look like everyone is voting Ruben, even in the previews for next time when Simone tells Ruben she doesn't have enough personal info on him.  And if everyone is actually voting the way they're saying in the voice-overs, his being the mole does make sense for why they're still around.  And Stine certainly seemed to think everyone was voting the same way, in her exit interview.

I'm still not buying it.  It's just too heavy-handed; the editing would be trying to lead us another way.  I suspect some of those voice-overs may be from other times during the series, rather than the current executions.  (Or else the producers tell the contestants to tape some misleading voice-overs about their tests.)

Simone has been in my top two candidates since day 1, so I'm sticking there.  It definitely could be Olcay despite the amount she's brought in.  Jan seems highly unlikely to me, but who knows, he could just be an ineffective mole like Thomas last year.

On 2/18/2018 at 11:37 PM, Trip said:

The editing is certainly trying to make it look like everyone is voting Ruben, even in the previews for next time when Simone tells Ruben she doesn't have enough personal info on him.  And if everyone is actually voting the way they're saying in the voice-overs, his being the mole does make sense for why they're still around.  And Stine certainly seemed to think everyone was voting the same way, in her exit interview.

I'm still not buying it.  It's just too heavy-handed; the editing would be trying to lead us another way.  I suspect some of those voice-overs may be from other times during the series, rather than the current executions.  (Or else the producers tell the contestants to tape some misleading voice-overs about their tests.)

Yeah, I'm with you. The producers wouldn't be so strong on Ruben in two different Afleveringen if it were actually Ruben.

I might make Olcay my second choice, despite all my prior misgivings, based on Watermelon's comment above. So: Simone, Olcay, Jan, Ruben, in that order. But Simone WAY above anybody else.

WOW.

I still don't get why the producers would push the idea for so many episodes if it really is! But now that everyone else I thought it could possibly be is gone...

Maybe Jan was trying to persuade Olcay to do a little moling in the last challenge to add on to whatever moling he's been doing already?

Or maybe I should just quit fighting the idea of Ruben. Guess we'll all know in a couple of weeks.

I QUIT.  They keep getting rid of the mole!

If it's Ruben, he was a terrible mole, though in a different way than Thomas was last year: Thomas was terrible because he didn't mole much, Ruben because everyone suspected him.  If it's not Ruben, one of the contestants has either been lying to the camera all this time, or has managed to squeak through to the finale despite being very wrong.  And I don't know whether contestants typically lie to the viewers in the talking-head interviews about their suspicions and votes.

I will say I was starting to wonder about Simone, even though I was firmly on her, because if she was the Mole then either a) everyone else was lying to the camera, or b) she had fooled EVERYONE.  And as much as I am dying to see a season where nobody gets it right (which I understand happened in one of the non-subtitled seasons), I don't think this is it.

After giving it some more thought, my new Mole order is Jan > Olcay > Ruben.

If the Mole is Ruben: then everything is as clear as it seems: everybody since at least Stine, and probably before, has been voting for Ruben, and the one who knew the least about him has left.  Either Olcay or Jan could win.  Booooring, and bad mole, as I said.  

If the Mole is Jan: then Ruben wins, and Olcay will be the Freek/Jochem of this season who gets to the finals by doing better than all the others who also didn't know the mole.  (Jan did do one very moley thing this episode: that whole business of diving for the tube -- and probably grabbing the wrong one, since nobody could tell -- then struggling to get back in the raft wasted a ton of time and probably prevented them from grabbing several tubes.)

If the Mole is Olcay: then I honestly think this will be the season where nobody guessed the mole, since Jan will vote Ruben and Ruben will vote Jan, and the winner will be the one who accidentally hit her on the test the most.

I'm actually hoping it's Olcay, because that ending would be great, and I can imagine it being possible that she committed a ton of mole actions that I missed.  But I think I'm slightly leaning toward Jan, as I said.

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Trip said:

(Jan did do one very moley thing this episode: that whole business of diving for the tube -- and probably grabbing the wrong one, since nobody could tell -- then struggling to get back in the raft wasted a ton of time and probably prevented them from grabbing several tubes.)

I like this theory. Especially if he put the cherry on the cake by encouraging Olcay to mole "to throw people off Ruben."

Oh man. The only thing I feel certain of is that it isn't Ruben, especially because Jan made sure to tell Olcay all about anything Ruben did that he thought was shady. That goes in my Jan-as-Mol column.

Then again...I have been very sure it wasn't Olcay for a long time, but the fact that she didn't take the money in the last chance to get money says a lot. (Although Jan could have taken his and thrown it off the side of the building.) Also, the way it was edited I'm not entirely certain she didn't take the path labeled "Mol," and maybe she looked herself in the mirror in footage that will be shown next week?

Loved the first challenge and how all three of them had such childlike glee in getting to see the moon. The second challenge was another one of those that really doesn't provide any information, since it looks like one in which every detail would have had to be nailed in order to win. Loved the test -- has that been done in previous seasons, in which there was a last chance to grab money before the test? I don't remember that happening.

1 hour ago, stellavision said:

Oh man. The only thing I feel certain of is that it isn't Ruben, especially because Jan made sure to tell Olcay all about anything Ruben did that he thought was shady. That goes in my Jan-as-Mol column.

Then again...I have been very sure it wasn't Olcay for a long time, but the fact that she didn't take the money in the last chance to get money says a lot. (Although Jan could have taken his and thrown it off the side of the building.) Also, the way it was edited I'm not entirely certain she didn't take the path labeled "Mol," and maybe she looked herself in the mirror in footage that will be shown next week?

Loved the first challenge and how all three of them had such childlike glee in getting to see the moon. The second challenge was another one of those that really doesn't provide any information, since it looks like one in which every detail would have had to be nailed in order to win. Loved the test -- has that been done in previous seasons, in which there was a last chance to grab money before the test? I don't remember that happening.

Pretty sure this was a new format for the test, yes.  I was sorry no one took the "see the Mol" path because I really wanted to see how that would work (even though obviously they wouldn't have shown us what the candidate saw).  

It sounded to me, from Art's description, that the money would go into the pot if the person who grabbed it won the season.  If that interpretation is right, the Mol could grab the money (for the viewers' benefit) because the winner wouldn't get it.  (That said, I still don't think it's Ruben, and if it is, he sucked as Mol.)

PRAYING that the Mol is Olcay because what a finale that would be.

(edited)

Who else thinks it might be Olcay if for no other reason than that the producers have chosen to reveal who it is to the finalists live, rather than on location like they usually do (and the live reveal is for everybody else)?

I wonder whether the producers couldn’t resist the extreme drama potential for a live “guess what, you’ve all been wrong all along!” moment.

Edited by stellavision

rewatching the challenges it's amazing that in both the Car driving challenge, and the run around city find minivan one Olcay managed to get the highest available amount, fail and still remain not suspicious.

the other thing which always bothered me about Ruben as the mole, was him suddenly fighting to be Treasurer  just at the right time.  So i looked back at that seen, and it's interesting how much Olcay fought to keep the role, like she knew how important it was for her to remain, and again that just slip.

I didn't really get why anyone would have to be sorry for Ron, though! It's a game -- there's no benefit to any of the players to bring back an eliminated player, with the exception of the Mole IF the challenge is going well otherwise, in which case you could use "I want to give Ron another chance" as cover for "blowing the pot." But since the players were already doing just fine not succeeding in the challenge, there wasn't a reason for Jan to direct suspicion to himself by going to Ron.

So, I guess they could say "sorry" in the sense of "sorry you barely got to play this game," but I don't think anybody owes Ron an apology, just commiseration.

So Jan was ... a pretty good Mol.  A great Mol is the perfect balance between "not bringing in money" and "not being suspected"; he was great at the latter and okay at the former.  (He brought in the least of the three finalists, but still maybe a bit more than he should have.)

I did love his cocky attitude, though; much more entertaining than the take-no-chances moles of the last few seasons.   And the walking-by-in-the-park thing was awesome.

And I was happy to hear that Jan's dive into the river was a molactie in exactly the ways I described above.  :-)  Still sorry it wasn't Olcay, though.

Edited by Trip
  • Love 1

@SnideAsides . . . I'll bite. Where did you work?

There's not much love for the US version on Facebook. I did stumble into a post about some of the older alumni meeting up. I wish I had known, but I'm happy some of them keep in touch with each other.

ETA for @SnideAsides . . . what's so funny about that GIF? I guess that I'm more into obvious humor . . . like Claire taking a watermelon to the face going Mach 2.

Edited by Lantern7

Has anyone else watched episode 1 of the new season of Belgium's De Mol yet?  The opening is utterly awesome, and I got one of my biggest laughs ever from a Mole episode when you-know-what appeared in the bullring.  I'm starting to think this may actually be the best version of The Mole, even over WIDM.

• Love 1

I feel like I need someone who isn't a former player this time. Like I'm sure they'll probably poach Chris or Margriet from that postshow thing they're doing, but I can't stand either of them and I think if they did I'd be out.

Update: It's just been confirmed that Rik from the Sri Lanka season is the new host, which is one of about three past-player choices I would endorse, so yay. (Still sad it's not Olcay or Freek though.)

Edited by SnideAsides
  • Love 1
On 3/30/2018 at 3:31 AM, Trip said:

I still think Ellie Lust would have been a great, semi-menacing host in the Anderson Cooper vein, but I'll be okay with Rik.

Agreed Elllie would have been fun, but Rik is fine.  

On 3/28/2018 at 1:17 PM, Trip said:

Has anyone else watched episode 1 of the new season of Belgium's De Mol yet?  The opening is utterly awesome, and I got one of my biggest laughs ever from a Mole episode when you-know-what appeared in the bullring.  I'm starting to think this may actually be the best version of The Mole, even over WIDM.

Just watched one and two.   It's fun to watch normal people again...  The opening was awesome, though i'm still partial for the last WIDM opening, since we also were out of the loop.  

Episode 2 was fine, though i found the first challenges too convoluted to be able to mole.  You know it will mess up.  

Spoiler

so far two eliminated were non suspects, so not much help 

Looks like Natalia's YouTube account has been suspended.  Can't find anything on Daily Motion.  

I'm starting to panic -- I'm really enjoying this season and don't want to give up on it!  Does anyone have any leads on where we could still get subtitled episodes?

Just watched episode 5 of season 6 of De Mol, and my absolute last suspect got eliminated.  As usual, no help at all.

At this point, I think my suspect list, from top to bottom, is Pieter - Pascale - Lloyd - Joke - Baha.  I really only suspect the first three.  Lloyd was my #1 until this episode, but I can't figure out why the Mole would have taken $1000 from charity to get unnecessary jokers, unless Belgian moles are just real assholes.

Even if I'm wrong about Pieter, I want it to be him. I'd love a drinking, swearing priest to be the Mole.

Really liking this season.  Between this and the recent season of WIDM, it's been a good Mole year.

Re the phone call in episode 7: could anyone tell me what the specific notes were that were whistled?  Am wondering if they spell a word (probably in Flemish or something) that's a clue to the actual Mole.  It's hard to believe that "the sound of the Mole's whistle" was supposed to be the big giveaway hint that Gilles was suggesting was there.

There went my mole suspect!  

If I had to choose one from the three left, I guess I’d choose Baha, just because I love hearing him laugh.  I think it’ll probably be Pieter though.  I don’t think it’s Lloyd, because it would have been so easy for him to NOT finish the triathlon, but he did it and earned the money.  

(edited)

Have just watched the reveal.  

Spoiler

I was so torn.  Lloyd and Pieter had been my two suspects for forever; Baha had never been a real suspect for me, but I could easily make an argument why he could also be the Mole.  I went with Lloyd but should have listened to my gut: (a) they never pick the youngest person to be the Mole; (b) Lloyd's sacrificing the charity's money would have been a jerk move for the Mole to do; (c) in this last episode, he was the one who made the last-minute choice that won the chocolate challenge, when he easily could have not done so.  And Pieter had to know he was going to go over the clock when you say things like "seventy-seven Mississippi" and treat that as one second.

I think the main thing that moved me away from Pieter was a basic rule of mine: if two people are always together in challenges, especially in the last half of the series, you can bet that one of the pair is onto the other one as being the Mole, and is simply trying to ensure that they have more information about the Mole than anyone else.  And Lloyd and Baha were ALWAYS together; in fact, in the beach challenge you see Lloyd change teams to be sure he's with Baha.  It just made no sense why they would do that if Pieter was the Mole -- and in fact I still don't understand it.

Anyway, I thought that was a very good season, just as WIDM was this year.  Looking forward to seeing more details about the sabotages next week!

Edited by Trip
Edited to add reasoning about the Mole
On 5/24/2018 at 4:31 PM, CarolinaPam said:

I’m dying to watch the finale.  Anyone know when it’ll be available to watch (with English subtitles)?  

Keeping myself unspoiled in the meantime.....

It's up!

Fun season!  Fantastic mole, IMO.  It was fun seeing the reunion and the behind the scenes stuff.  I somehow didn’t get to see the previous episode with the final 3 contestants.  Is it available to watch anywhere?  

The cast has been revealed on the show's website and Instagram, and there's been a bunch of teasers that all but confirm it's going to be in Colombia.

Most excited for the Flemish pop star who cohosted Dutch Survivor with a former Dutch Mole, which seems like the sort of thing they'd use as a clue.

• Love 1