Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: What Took So Long

9 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

He did. Or at least that's how I read the scene. Jane told him they had to leave now, he said there was one thing he had to do first and we see him cock the gun. And considering Jane had a baby strapped to her front, I'm going with the likelihood that it was Adam who was able to handle a rifle well enough to shoot Doug squarely in his balls. 

YMMV but why are so many confused about the bleach moment with Hank? Am I the only one who just always figured that was because, as we saw in flashbacks, Adam had been in Hank's shed repeatedly and so he did that to erase any fingerprints or DNA of Adam's that may be found. Yes he didn't hurt him but he quickly realized everyone suspected he did and finding Adam's DNA in the shed, where he'd been hanging out with him repeatedly without Adam's parents knowing, would not be good for Hank.

No one cocked a gun in that scene, that I could find.   How would Adam have gotten the gun?  Jane gave it to him?  I guess she and Adam are in this together now then, if Adam's armed and left with her voluntarily.  

If Doug is dead, why does Nina promise Claire she'll lock him up like he did the boys?  

I guess that explanation for the bleach was as good as any but I thought Hank was scrubbing a concrete floor.  That's an odd place to be removing fingerprints or DNA if Adam just hung out and built ships.  

No one cocked a gun in that scene, that I could find. How would Adam have gotten the gun? 

Maybe he didn't cock it, but unless I am completely losing it, I remember very clearly, after Jane stops at the gas station and a guy is revealed to be with her, the show flashes back to after Doug left the cabin and she says to someone, "we have to leave now" and the same guy says, "I have to do one thing first" and we see a rifle in his hand. I believe they still weren't showing his face then. As for where he would have gotten the gun, well I'd assume it is the same gun Doug asked Jane about and she told him it was in the back of the van. We never see Doug get the gun unless I'm mistaken. We see him in the van and then Nina hearing a gunshot as she's talking to the woman. She starts running and when we get back to the scene, she finds Doug shot behind a tree. 

• Love 6

Oh, you're right, I missed that Adam was in the house with her holding a gun.  

Why is he running off with Jane voluntarily but also calling Ben saying he's coming back to get his life back?  Well, I assume that's part of the season 2 mystery.  

My guess is Adam went off with Jane because it was his chance to escape. He likely has no clue where he is and how to get out and she had a car and was providing him a chance to escape. However, the first chance he got, when they stopped at the gas station, he did call his home. So my guess is he has no intention to run off forever with Jane. He just saw her as his chance at freedom. Now he's free, he'll figure out how to get back home. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

I don't think lusting in one's heart alone should be a capital offense but I do think that scene and frankly everything with Hank showed an individual with very sick, disturbing and yes illegal compulsions who just hasn't acted on them yet. However, I believe that it is simply a matter of when. It's like what Ben told Danny, when telling him Adam being kidnapped wasn't his fault even if he walked away and left Adam solely on Willa's account. He told Danny that if it hadn't been then, it would have simply been another time because Doug had made up his mind to take Adam. In my opinion, Hank is Doug pre-crime - one day he will not be able to fight his urges, just like the moment when he gave into it slightly by pleasuring himself in a park while watching little boys. 

There is a great movie with Kevin Bacon that deals with this - The Woodsman

• Love 1

When Willa and Claire picked up Ben when he was hitchhiking, he said "I did something."  What did he do? 

Good observation!!  I think Ben killed Bridey.  Also, The Dad still doesn't know Ben's not Adam, does he?  That's busted.

As someone else already answered - he was talking about telling Danny the truth about not being Adam. Because right after, we see Willa go to Danny and basically try to explain their madness, which Danny was not here for. Why would Ben kill Bridey? From what we were shown, he barely knew her and had no idea she knew about him and was working the story on him. Hell by that logic Ben would want to kill Nina more than Bridey who I'm pretty sure he knew for a fact suspected he wasn't Adam, just based on her questioning of him about the day "Adam" was kidnapped. Sure they could have written it that he ran into her while he was on his way out of town but for what we saw on the show and where it ended, him killing Bridey makes little sense. 

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

My guess is Adam went off with Jane because it was his chance to escape. He likely has no clue where he is and how to get out and she had a car and was providing him a chance to escape. However, the first chance he got, when they stopped at the gas station, he did call his home. So my guess is he has no intention to run off forever with Jane. He just saw her as his chance at freedom. Now he's free, he'll figure out how to get back home. 

To me the obvious question is why didn't he escape when he held the gun?  Shoot Doug, take the car, go to the police.  Or instead of threatening Ben from the gas station, call 911 and tell them who and where you are.  Jane didn't act like she was holding him against his will.  

It's neither here nor there, though.  When writers can just give characters any action at all and later act as if it didn't happen (kind of like telling TV Guide that "Adam is really dead"), there's no use trying to figure it out.  It's like trying to solve a jigsaw puzzle that doesn't fit together.  

37 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

To me the obvious question is why didn't he escape when he held the gun?  Shoot Doug, take the car, go to the police.  Or instead of threatening Ben from the gas station, call 911 and tell them who and where you are.  Jane didn't act like she was holding him against his will. 

Adam can't steal a car, because he has no idea how to drive a car. He also probably doesn't know where he is. Why wouldn't he accept Jane's offer of a lift to the gas station?

Also, he just shot a man. I doubt that he's THAT eager to call the police. He probably wants Doug to just rot there by the cabin and be forgotten by everyone. That's a kind of poetic justice. And now that Adam has found out that Ben is yet another obstacle to him coming back home to his family, he probably wants to confront and deal with Ben himself, too.

Man, I want to see THAT confrontation! Adam would probably beat the living daylights out of Ben. My fingers are crossed for a pickup by Hulu or Netflix, as unlikely as that may be.

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Why would Ben kill Bridey?

I think there are some possible reasons.  1) He thought she was going to publicly out him as Ben  2)  She approached him with the news that she found his mother -- and he did not want to leave his new family, so he took that news as a threat, something that could be taken away from him and didn't want to happen

Why would Willa kill Bridey?  She got her to shut down the Ben story and they came to an agreement about future news stories.  I mean, why bother getting Bridey to agree to all that if she were just going to murder her anyway?  Giving Bridey exclusive access was her solution--not murder.  Plus, the there's the narrative of this show.  Nothing that seems obvious is the truth.  Adam was not Adam but Ben.  Hank didn't kidnap and kill Adam.  Adam didn't die.  

• Love 1

I don't understand why Jane would take Adam.  If you're going to run from the criminal and his aftermath, why take one victim and leave one? 

I also don't understand the turn of events that happened after Jane left FBI dude in the bunker.  She told him that Doug was taking her to Canada and she left him supplies to see him through while she was gone.  At what point did Adam enter the scene and she flee with him?

I'd also like an explanation of what Ben and Doug were talking about on the park bench.  And why he subsequently wouldn't identify him in the line up.

Also, how the heck was Adam so aware of the fact that Ben was posing as him at home?  His first instinct is to threaten Ben and not just be over the moon happy to finally be free and desperate to talk to his family?  Nothing would keep him from just heading home and blowing the lid off the whole scenario, even if someone like Jane tipped him off to what was going on.  I just can't believe his reaction would be that he would have to hang back in the shadows and get Ben to leave first.  Geesh....just run home and see your poor Momma.  

I loved how so often things conveniently fell into place for Nina.....the remarkably rare dirt from Doug's boots leads her directly to within feet of the cabin where she just so happens to be standing outside when the gun goes off.  But then just as easily, she's a complete fool who jumps to incorrect conclusions and has her suspect(s) constantly eluding her.       

• Love 6

I'll throw this in the mix and see what you think.  How about Adam is the father of Jane's child...not Doug?  Jane was lonely, Doug was gone a lot, Adam has grown up....1+1=3. 

Agree, Kiki, that things are oh so convenient for Nina.  She just happens to be wandering around some fairly secluded area, and hears a gunshot.  I loved how she's running at breakneck speed with her gun out, in a RURAL area where it might actually be some hunters shooting at game.  Another thing about that whole scene....it couldn't have been 30 seconds after the shot that she stumbles on all that blood.  There's one huge spot where the "hit" happened, and then a series of blood spots that are laughable they are so straight.  Doug would have had to walk an incredibly straight line to the tree, while bleeding profusely, in order to make that path. 

• Love 5

My question is, where was Adam living during the three months since Ben's escape that he knew that Ben had assumed his identity and was living with Adam's family? Surely he wasn't sequestered in another bunker, basement or shed.

I also thought that Ben's statement that "I did something" was just a heads up that he had told Danny who he really was.

Again, about Hank and whether it's a certainty that he'll eventually attack a child, maybe the Pre-Crime Unit of "Minority Report" should put him away for life for what he might do in the future, or be executed outright like in an "Outer Limits" episode. Hank is struggling with whether to continue to resist his urges if he's going to be regarded as guilty either way. 

I'm not sure why Bridey's pursuit of the truth about Adam/Ben was treated like breaking open the Lindbergh kidnapping. This is hardly a scandal to rock the nation, or even Maine. Letting the public believe that Ben was Adam is not a felony. A plausible happy ending would be having Adam back home and also welcoming Ben into the family, with the explanation for the earlier subterfuge that they thought Adam was dead, athat poor abused Ben needed a family and that they didn't want to distract from the campaign. No harm, no foul. Enough sympathy to go around.

• Love 4

No foul unless you were the Governor running for second term and lost to a woman who suddenly found her kid and got all that publicity over it.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

I think there are some possible reasons.  1) He thought she was going to publicly out him as Ben  2)  She approached him with the news that she found his mother -- and he did not want to leave his new family, so he took that news as a threat, something that could be taken away from him and didn't want to happen

Why would Willa kill Bridey?  She got her to shut down the Ben story and they came to an agreement about future news stories.  I mean, why bother getting Bridey to agree to all that if she were just going to murder her anyway?  Giving Bridey exclusive access was her solution--not murder.  Plus, the there's the narrative of this show.  Nothing that seems obvious is the truth.  Adam was not Adam but Ben.  Hank didn't kidnap and kill Adam.  Adam didn't die.  

I didn't necessarily think Bridey was taking Willa's deal. I thought it was left up in the air what she was going to do.

• Love 1

I'll go sign that petition to bring the show back but what I really want is for some more experienced writers and showrunner to give us something just as odd but roles written for everyone. So Danny, John and Hank would have real roles to play as would Bridey, Jane and Nina. We don't need whole bios by flashback, just enough info to make some of their choices seem likely,  coherent with their defined personna. 

2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Adam can't steal a car, because he has no idea how to drive a car. He also probably doesn't know where he is. Why wouldn't he accept Jane's offer of a lift to the gas station?

If Jane is simply his captor why wouldn't he force her at gunpoint to drive him to the police?  

I think we're supposed to believe he was somehow in cahoots with Jane or made some deal with her.  But it makes no sense.  If he wants to go home, which he said he did, go home already.  No one's going to prosecute him for killing Doug.  Or letting Jane go, if he chooses to.  

2 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

I didn't necessarily think Bridey was taking Willa's deal. I thought it was left up in the air what she was going to do.

I thought she gave the editor the story but I rewatched and all that was in the folder was her badge, so I take that to mean she was taking Willa's deal.  Why she'd want to 'own' a governor, I have no idea.  To be her press secretary?  For new gay-friendly laws?  

(edited)

So, who was buried in the garden? Another boy he took? 

And why not drop the real Adam off close to his home? 

Edited by Anela
(edited)

The Adam and Jane thing was just another stupid plot twist.   I don't think there was anything previously mentioned about Jane even knowing that Pocky took Adam, until things started to unravel.   Adam is technically a murderer now, and of course Ben isn't.  

Edited by atomationage
  • Love 1

Well, except Doug must be alive, just wanker-less, if Nina's promising Claire he'll spend the rest of his life in a cage.  

Hopefully they sewed the right severed appendage onto Clements' hand.  Good thing for Ziplock.  Keeps things fresh for days.  

I must have missed something. We saw Adam on the floor in the bunker with blood pouring out of his head. How did he get medical attention so that he survived? How did Adam end up with Jane? I was truly shocked by him still being alive after we saw the head wound.

• Love 2
(edited)
11 minutes ago, LisaM said:

I must have missed something. We saw Adam on the floor in the bunker with blood pouring out of his head. How did he get medical attention so that he survived? How did Adam end up with Jane? I was truly shocked by him still being alive after we saw the head wound.

Pocky took Adam out of the bunker to get him "help," but came back and told Ben he was dead. So he must have actually taken him to bunker # 4 and treated him there. When Jane was at the cabin she heard pounding coming from some other building on the property, so she must have found Adam when she went to check it out.

Edited by KaveDweller
  • Love 2

They showed Adam from the back with a large scar on his head, then he turned around and we saw that it was the same actor who played grown up Adam from the dungeon scene.   That poor actor might have thought he was getting a continuing role.

• Love 1
(edited)

No, no, no, Adam's not a murderer.  Pocky's groin shot, not dead.

And I have to disagree that the writers suck.   It's funny that we all have these ideas about Season Two because Season ONE started out with a fairly straightforward story and then slowly all our facts and assumptions morphed into different facts and we made fresh assumptions.  Often more than once!  I thought the show was very clever--not perfect, but pretty darn good, to keep the guesses going for so long.

Willa clearly seemed to be picturing dead Bridey in her mind and smiling about how she'd outfoxed the devious reporter so I'm sure that's one of the slippery things changing every couple of episodes.

How Adam spent the last several months is another mystery I'd tune in to be fooled by.  Right now I'd say he was locked up and recuperating down in the cabin bunker and was then transferred to the shed when Agent FBI took up residence in the bunker.  But somewhere along the line, he formed a relationship with Jane solid enough so she trusted him with a shotgun AND her baby, so . . .?

Where's that petition?!

Joan Allen loving-hating-using-feeling sorry for-spying on-accepting-hating-loving Ben was outrageous.  You know what makes a child feel secure?  Consistency.  I wouldn't blame Ben if he cracked, went all Lizzie Borden and gave his ersatz mother 40 whacks.

Sidenote: I feel sorry for the actors signed to play Sally and Current Adam--they must be the most bummed out of all.

Edited by candall
spiffed it up
  • Love 4

Damn this silly show!  I see a lot of posts already bringing up my questions and conclusions. 

I do think Doug survived the shooting.  Doesn't make sense that Nina would ask Claire for her DNA to "put him away", if he were dead.   

i assumed pocky and wife were discussing finishing off "FBI" as they prepared to leave, but I watched it again and they could very well have been discussing Adam. Jane says to Pocky, "but he has family", Pocky answers back "so do you"  it makes more sense to me that they are referring to Adam.  Pocky also looks at the key holder and the camera focuses on the empty rack.  He then knowingly looks at Jane. I think he knew she wanted to save Adam.  Also, when Jane leaves the bunker holding "FBI", she looks at that outhouse structure and it sounds to me like someone is knocking on it from inside...probably Adam  

i still don't understand what happened to Adam and where/how he has survived the last few months.  The possibility of him being the father of Jane's baby both squicks me out and intrigues me.  I'd also be surprised if Willa killed Bridey.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, DoubleUTeeEff said:

This is precisely why I said, "from what we were shown". As I noted before, if the show was coming, well hell yes, all bets are off with what twist and turn the writers would pull. I'm just saying if we're going off just this season and what we actually saw, I don't see Ben's murdering Bridey making much sense and all these possible reasons you mentioned don't fit anything we were shown. Hell Danny seems a more likelier suspect than Ben. And with reference to why it would be Willa, I don't think Willa agreeing to full access would be the end of things, especially for someone like Willa who Bridey herself stated would mean she'd be giving up control.

The fact is, unfettered access or not, Bridey basically would own Willa and their family forever because of what she knew. And Willa who went as far as wanting to fake her brother's return, outing her father's affair and who knows what else would so easily just accept defeat and be fine with that? Yeah, I don't buy it. Again, I'm not saying if the show came back they wouldn't make it someone else who killed Bridey because yes, Willa is almost too obvious. But as of where the show ended, she seems the likely suspect. 

• Love 3
19 hours ago, jumper sage said:

I knew I should not have gotten involved in this stupid show.

Amen my friend.  I swore I would DVR and save - watching only if renewed, but damn, Andrew McCarthy drug me in.  I hate these kind of shows with a firey fury.  Yet again and again I get sucked in.    F You ABC.

• Love 3

I agree with those who said they would prefer this to come back, instead of Quantico - the show where the hair is the standout in every episode. 

• Love 2

I will add one more suspect to the mix for Bridey's murder.  No, not her editor.  What if Ben's real mother has some serious secret about Ben's disappearance that she does not want exposed?  Kind of outside the box, but the show could go down any track if it wanted to.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, JapMo said:

I'll throw this in the mix and see what you think.  How about Adam is the father of Jane's child...not Doug?  Jane was lonely, Doug was gone a lot, Adam has grown up....1+1=3. 

That's exactly what I thought.  It's the only reason he wouldn't have run from Jane. Also, he seems to have been holding the gun, so he could have easily escaped from her.

11 hours ago, Black Knight said:

This was not a good show. It's hard to count the number of things that were wrong with it...and yet, I loved it, mainly because of Willa Warren. I get that if there was a S2 there probably would have been a whole "Who Killed Bridey?" mystery where the strong implication in this episode that it was Willa would have just turned out to be a red herring, but since the show is cancelled I'm fine with just going with that implication and having it be Willa. The way the ep cut between Willa tearing up and Bridey's lifeless body as Claire spoke about the necessity of sacrifice adds another twisted layer of nuance to Willa's character and is a fitting end for her and her story with Bridey. It's so much more interesting for her to be the killer (I doubt she did it with her own two hands - she made a call to her co-conspirators to have it done) than for anyone else, like boring Danny, to be, that I'm just sticking with it as my personal canon.

So, in that light: Bridey really should have listened to herself when she asked why Willa would give up control, the one thing that makes her happy, and packed up and gotten the hell out of there. Willa already knew she couldn't trust Bridey; we saw her constantly lie to and keep secrets from Bridey. But it was still a big deal for Willa to be involved with Bridey at all. She had a soft spot for the woman. Not enough of one to let herself be owned, however. Bridey went from being amusing to being a major inconvenience to Willa and she had to go. Even paying Bridey off with eight years of exclusive access to stories about the governor wasn't enough, because that's only for eight years: Bridey could have still gone with the Adam-is-not-Adam story after that.

That's why I thought it was obviously Willa. If the show continued to season 2, everyone would have had some motive, but since it didn't,  they left it with the obvious.  In addition to the risk to her mother,  Willa had probably been harboring anger against Bridey for years for teasing at the fair.

• Love 2

Oh gosh, I'm enjoying everyone's speculations.  Unfortunately, we'll probably never know.  It's going to take some time for me to let it go.  That's the reality.  So sad.....for all of us.

On 5/16/2016 at 7:11 PM, KaveDweller said:

If Claire was imagining young Adam how did she know he left because the guy had a dog?

The police knew he had a dog because of the jacket thing. Presumably Claire knew from that. Of course doesn't mean he had a dog ten years ago, but it's plausible to me she got an image in her head "of course Adam would wander off after someone with a puppy" kind of thing.

On 5/16/2016 at 8:27 PM, Madding crowd said:

I didn't understand where Adam was living or how he would have the phone number for his family unless he memorized it and remembered it all these years. Are we supposed to think there was yet another bunker where he was living?

It is 100% believable to me that a kid who was 8 in 2006 would have his home's landline phone number memorized and still remember it now. Mobile phones were not quite as ubiquitous and drilling the home phone into a small child's head is/was common. And he wouldn't have grown up in a culture where one no longer needs to remember phone numbers. So it'd stick. I buy it completely.

5 hours ago, Anela said:

So, who was buried in the garden? Another boy he took? 

And why not drop the real Adam off close to his home? 

Presumably, the Eric kid Jane mentioned.

I initially had the baby=Adam's thought but I'm now off that train because Ben said Adam "died" a week before he showed up as Adam. I'm not super clear on the timeline but I think Adam wasn't out of the oil-tunnel-bunker long enough for that to be plausible, unless Jane was at some point in the BenAdam bunker too. But I do think they bonded after he went to the fourth bunker and healed and whatnot. I'd buy it (had it not been cancelled) if they did go the Adam=babydaddy plot, but I don't think the timeline works so it'd be a kludge. And I also think it's plausible Adam knew about Ben once his cahoots-ness with Jane started because she could give him access to news whatnot.

• Love 2

When the editor went into his office after the reporter quit....there was a box of all her research and her credentials.  Discussion?

I really hate that I got into this show and now am following everyone's views.  Be back in a bit.

• Love 1

All I saw in the box was her press ID badge. She took that story with her so she could be press secretary or whatever at the governor's mansion.

Jane was the worst character on this show, in that she started out as a clueless wife who wondered what her husband was up to in his little shed, to being his cohort. And Adam has been where, all this time? I guess that would have been explained in the season that will never be.

And yes, "above the fold" is still used in newspaper offices, as newspapers are still being sold in metal boxes and what you have above the fold on the front is what will hopefully entice someone to buy a copy.

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Bobbin said:

Writing, rehearsing, shooting and editing take time, so the series probably wrapped long before the axe fell.

Didn't ABC cancel it this eek?  So it was cancelld the week this was shown -- no time ar all to make adjustments.

8 hours ago, Rabithed said:

Nina showed up at the house right after she heard the gunshot. She didn't hear or notice Jane driving away?  That was frustrating! 

The World's Worst Detecive (seriously, Inspector Clouseau is better) would probably have arrested the kid on the bike as Bride's killer.

• Love 2

I thought it odd that Bridey's body was shown out in the woods, with the same kind of vegetation as near the bunker, Pocky's cabin.  Since ben was out in the woods alone, made me think of him.  Willa is small (except her head, sorry)how could she handle taking the body to the woods.  And how would she get bridey to meet her in the woods, if they were there pre-kill.

• Love 1

I think Pocky probably moved Adam to a cabin nearby after the injury then sent Jane exclusively to care for him.  That's probably how she knew how to care for Agent Thumbs.  Eric was probably a name that Pocky gave to Adam, which is why Jane was surprised to see Adam on tv that time.  Pocky turned it off so Jane couldn't see a possible age progression since she was still caring for an alive Adam in a cabin.  The dead kid is probably some unnamed kid that Pocky accidentally killed during his trial runs of drugging kids with the chloroform.   That's probably why he moved on to the poor dog.  Adam probably went with Jane because he did trust her, like Agent Thumbs did.   Pocky could've guilted Jane into sleeping with her by saying if she slept with him then he wouldn't have his "urges" anymore.   Jane probably did, thinking that it would, getting her pregnant.   Because she was pregnant, Adam wouldn't overpower her, plus she was probably a calming female presence to him.  He knew Pocky was using both of them, manipulating them, and controlling them.  With a baby involved, he had to do something,  so he shot Pocky when Jane said they had to leave now.  She was probably shocked too when she learned he was Adam.  As the drive went on, Adam's anger grew.  And I think Danny killed Bridey, but Willa cleaned it up like always.  

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

How would Adam know Ben was living in his house pretending to be him?

Yeah, I wondered the same thing. Unless he recognized Ben's voice, but that's a stretch. They didn't show him watching TV of his mom being elected governor, but anything can happen with this show.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I don't think Eric was dead.  He claimed Doug did something inappropriate with him, it sounded like.  How would Jane know about Eric and his allegations if Doug killed him and hid the body?  

I think he was just on the news as missing at the time and Jane knew Doug had known him/been near him and asked him if he'd been involved because she was smart enough to be suspicious, and she believed him when he promised it wasn't him and that started their dark and twisty path of her pretending he wasn't a kidnapping pedophile even though she knew he must be.

• Love 2
(edited)

From what I got from this show is that after Doug pulled Adam out of that original bunker, he brought him out to the cabin and kept him in THAT shed. He was on the road a lot. Jane didn't know about Adam OR Ben during this time. She only knew about "Eric" (I think that was his name) -- some kid from a long time ago that she mentioned in passing when she realized that Doug had been up to his old tricks...something like "I thought you were done with this kind of stuff."

Adam did not grow up with her. As far as we were shown, Jane didn't realize Doug was *still* a monster. She thought it was a one-time thing back wherever they were from.

As far as the timeline of events: From what we saw, when Jane was packing up the car and the baby, she heard banging and rattling outside. The guess is that Doug had been keeping Adam in that shed. Why was he quiet the whole time? Maybe he was drugged? Maybe Jane just couldn't hear him? Either way, she heard him this time and found him. Quick introductions were likely made. Jane and Adam are rushing to get away. Adam finds the shotgun. Jane says, "Hurry, we've gotta go before he gets back." Adam responds, "I have something I've gotta do first." He leaves with the shotgun, presumably to find Doug. Doug comes back and says, "Where's the shotgun, Jane?" Jane says she left it in the trunk. Doug goes outside to get it; Adam shoots him in the dick (we were shown a man-shaped form holding the shotgun; we assume it's Doug, but it was actually Adam). Doug staggers to the tree and slides down. He's shown to be still alive, but who knows for how long? Adam and Jane take off in the car - Jane can't be caught by the cops; she's an accessory...Adam just wants to get away (and he's helping take care of the innocent baby). Nina hears the shot and comes running. And, the rest.

(PS. Yes, I think Adam recognized Ben's voice. They were their only company for TEN YEARS. I don't think it's much of a stretch.)

Edited by marcee
To add the PS
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, truthaboutluv said:

This is precisely why I said, "from what we were shown". As I noted before, if the show was coming, well hell yes, all bets are off with what twist and turn the writers would pull. I'm just saying if we're going off just this season and what we actually saw, I don't see Ben's murdering Bridey making much sense and all these possible reasons you mentioned don't fit anything we were shown. Hell Danny seems a more likelier suspect than Ben. And with reference to why it would be Willa, I don't think Willa agreeing to full access would be the end of things, especially for someone like Willa who Bridey herself stated would mean she'd be giving up control.

The fact is, unfettered access or not, Bridey basically would own Willa and their family forever because of what she knew. And Willa who went as far as wanting to fake her brother's return, outing her father's affair and who knows what else would so easily just accept defeat and be fine with that? Yeah, I don't buy it. Again, I'm not saying if the show came back they wouldn't make it someone else who killed Bridey because yes, Willa is almost too obvious. But as of where the show ended, she seems the likely suspect. 

Well, that's the thing.  I don't think the finale really wrapped up the series  The whole Adam reveal especially opened up a whole new box of worms.  I think the finale was written with Season 2 in mind and they wanted to create speculation as to Bridey's murder and Adam's whole situation.  We did see Bridey uncover Ben's identity and also find his mother.  We didn't see Ben and Bridey speaking but we never saw what Pockmark and Ben talked about either.  Or even see Danny talk to Bridey about Ben.  I get that Willa and Danny both have motivation and I'll throw Pockmark in there too, so I think the show could have gone many ways with Bridey's murder.  It's just that for Willa, she thought she had taken care of the problem so I do think she would feel fairly in control of that situation.  I mean, having a journalist at your beck and call to report stories about the new Governor doesn't seem so bad.  Of course, I could be wrong!  

I don't know, I just don't see how the finale really wrapped much up.  It looked like the detectives weren't going to close the case, Adam is alive, Bridey is dead, Jane is on the run and Ben is in a tight spot.  I think if they were wrapping stuff up, Pockmark would be caught, Adam would have been the dead body, we'd know for sure who killed Bridey and Ben would be happily ensconced with his new family, but I think Jane might still be on the run!

• Love 2

I wonder if the kidnapper told him that Ben was pretending to be him, in a "he isn't your friend" way, and that he wouldn't be found. Or he could have heard it on the radio, in the car. If his mother was elected Governor (?), they would probably mention recent events as well.

I hated his repeated, "This isn't on me" - with Ben, blaming him for what he'd just done to Adam, and the, "you did this" to his wife. She may have whacked that guy around the head, out of fear, but HE was the reason the detective was there in the first place, as well as both boys. 

• Love 2

I gave up on this show mid season but thought I'd watch since it was the finale.  I didn't feel like I missed much, so I'm glad I skipped what I did, but I do have to say I thought this episode was pretty good.  My one nitpick...why did the governor give Nina her cup to do a DNA test?  Weren't they at the police station?  Don't police stations have cotton swabs?

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, ByTor said:

.why did the governor give Nina her cup to do a DNA test?  Weren't they at the police station?  Don't police stations have cotton swabs?

That way she didn't give her DNA to the police.  She could easily claim that Nina took her DNA without permission. If Nina had used a swab, Claire would have had to officially agree to be tested.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Madding crowd said:

How would Adam know Ben was living in his house pretending to be him?

Since Adam's mother is the governor,  I think Jane told him, but not in a "hey that Ben kid is pretending to be you" way, but like "hey there's a new governor so we will be able to slip away" thing.   Adam probably put two and two together and realized that since Jane never mentioned a Ben and that the new governor had her son back that Ben was being him.  He also probably heard about it on radio, newspapers,  etc.