Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/09/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

20 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

I agree with what Joy said about how dumb it is to spend $35,000 on a HANDBAG!!!! A BLOODY HANDBAG!!! Just think of all the good that could be done with that money - give it charities, help animals, schools, hospitals, etc. Whoopi really tore a strip off her over that which of course, contradicts the whole point of the show which is SUPPOSED to be hearing different points of view.

So.....only if the great and powerful Whoopi agrees with it, does it matter?

Pretty lame show on the whole. I mean.....a MUPPET?!!!! Seriously?!!

And I also want to thank whoever burned that hideous scarf. I almost expected it to walk off the stage at some point!!

Did Whoopie have a conniption because someone else had a different point of view about a bag, I am still dumbfounded on why she is still even on the show..Why is she allowed to bully and disrespect her co-hosts..I remember her going off on Paula about concerts and Paula sweetly telling her that she is allowed to have her own opinion...She makes everything so difficult, in her need to always be right..Whoopie needs to go...

• Love 8

LOL at Raven pointing out to Paula that Hillary Clinton's opinions about certain issues have changed over decades while Trump's positions change overnight. 

When Raven is more on the ball than you, girl ... it's time to reconsider your entire approach to life.  Not double down on your foolishness by simpering about how "well ... Trump approaches it like a business man, everything is negotiable."  Because all that line of thinking says to me is that the person in question is willing to say whatever it takes to get what they want and they really don't stand for anything.  Which is not "evolving."  That's being a used car salesman, just like Joy said.

• Love 15

That whole discussion about men and women clothing sizes was so ridiculous. Did Raven say that she wore a size 6? OK, Raven. Do we really need to know the details of Whoopi's non underwear or whatever she was describing ( that was a puzzle)? Even her daughter was embarrassed by that. 

• Love 3

I find it hilarious that Miss Whoopi wears a onesie.  And that Raven is a size 6. And that Paula's waist size is the same as her husband's.

I didn't mind Alex today, and liked that she copped to enjoying the perks of having Whoopi as a mother.

• Love 1

I have refrained on commenting on the "best friend" guests so far because they are not TV pros and I don't want to harsh out on them, but Whoop's daughter is in a different category imo and I am going to come out and say that I found her quite dense. Her whole thing during the clothing size discussion about wanting to know why all these men were wearing women's clothes was just ignorant.  It just had zero to do with the topic.  Whoopi didn't seem to understand the issue, either.

The guy was wearing his girlfriend's shirt to show that what is considered a "small" mens is equal to a woman's XL and this seemingly arbitrary system can result in body shaming women.  Women who aren't all that big get labeled (literally) "extra large" and it can have a negative psychological impact.  It's just not that complicated.  

Only Raven seemed to understand the point, lol.  She had a good day today.  I don't know what she had for breakfast, but she needs to eat it every day.

• Love 10

I forgot about Whoopi's daughter saying that about the men wearing women's clothes...yeah, she may have been about to take a bad road there. This morning as I watched the EGO (no T-I'm taking it) talking to a puppet like it was a real person, I wondered, "Is it the show that is dumb or is it me that is dumb for watching it?"  I decided it was definitely the show.

• Love 7
35 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I forgot about Whoopi's daughter saying that about the men wearing women's clothes...yeah, she may have been about to take a bad road there. 

Yeah, I was getting uncomfortable with that.  She said it once and then the others made some comments, but then she brought it up again and I started to wonder where she was headed.  I began to fear she had an opinion about the trans/bathroom stuff in the news that she was going to share or something.  I don't want to put words in her mouth, but I was afraid where she was headed, lol! 

• Love 1

Sizing for women's clothes is ridiculous.  I was shopping one day and had a pair of leggings in the junior section size XS (yes I'm an XS, please don't hate me) and I found the exact same leggings in the misses section size XS.  I  held them up to one another.  Not even close.  The misses leggings were easily a size bigger.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kenz said:

That whole discussion about men and women clothing sizes was so ridiculous. Did Raven say that she wore a size 6? OK, Raven. Do we really need to know the details of Whoopi's non underwear or whatever she was describing ( that was a puzzle)? Even her daughter was embarrassed by that. 

Maybe her shoe size is 6.  I burst out laughing when she said that. 

• Love 4

Women's sizing is ludicrous. Years ago, I was thrilled to fit into a size 14. I was 5'4" and 165 lbs. A 14 now could fit someone 75 lbs heavier. Forget the XL, L, XXL sizes. They're all over the place. Trying things on or sticking with a manufacturer you know is about the only way to know what fits, regardless of what's on the label.

• Love 3
(edited)

I thought there was an issue that sizes are labeled as too small for the actual size they are compared to years past, like ChicagoCita indicated.  For example, lots of women say they wear a size six, but they look like they might be a size ten or twelve from what we used to wear. Maybe the L,XL, and XXL are confusing. Whatever the case, I don't see that comparing a man's XL with a woman's XL like Raven did makes any sense.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 1

Waaa waaa waaa, as a kid, Alex had to share her mother with her mother's successful career.  How is that any different than any child of a mother with her own career?   Oh, I guess it's her ticket to let her mother support her and her family for her entire life.    Please.  

I laughed out loud when Alex explained she, "doesn't feel pressure to become an actress" because she stinks at auditions so she doesn't do them.   Auditions, also known as APPLYING FOR A JOB.  I wonder if doing something else (besides marrying the same guy three times) ever crossed her mind?     Saying she "enjoys the perks" of being Whoopi Goldberg's only child was an understatement.  The crazy part to me is Whoopi seems to consider herself some sort of parenting expert despite showcasing all the evidence to the contrary.  

• Love 11
4 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

Waaa waaa waaa, as a kid, Alex had to share her mother with her mother's successful career.  How is that any different than any child of a mother with her own career?   Oh, I guess it's her ticket to let her mother support her and her family for her entire life.    Please.  

I laughed out loud when Alex explained she, "doesn't feel pressure to become an actress" because she stinks at auditions so she doesn't do them.   Auditions, also known as APPLYING FOR A JOB.  I wonder if doing something else (besides marrying the same guy three times) ever crossed her mind?     Saying she "enjoys the perks" of being Whoopi Goldberg's only child was an understatement.  The crazy part to me is Whoopi seems to consider herself some sort of parenting expert despite showcasing all the evidence to the contrary.  

OMG ... right on Cosmo!!  Self-awareness is definitely not her long or strong suit.  LOL.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

I actually think it's quite different. I think she was referring to the fame part of celebrity. When you are the child of a celebrity, you DO share your parents with the public. Things other people take for granted, like going to the park, or just spending time with their parents, is different when people are constantly coming up to you asking for autographs and pictures. I hardly see how being famous is like every other career. In fact, it's like no other career.

• Love 4
50 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

Women's sizing is ludicrous. Years ago, I was thrilled to fit into a size 14. I was 5'4" and 165 lbs. A 14 now could fit someone 75 lbs heavier. Forget the XL, L, XXL sizes. They're all over the place. Trying things on or sticking with a manufacturer you know is about the only way to know what fits, regardless of what's on the label.

Yes - I have jeans and pants that are size 6,8,10,12 and 14.  I rarely buy any clothes without trying them on - even tshirts, I could be a M, L or XL, depending.  
Sticking to a manufacturer doesn't always work, because they keep changing their size standards. 

Then again, I guess if I have ONE pair of pants that's a size 6, I can be like Raven and declare "I'm a size 6!" 

• Love 7
(edited)

Was Whoopi trying to get me to believe she wears Spanx?   The same woman that brags about never wearing a bra now wants to be able to pee while wearing her underwear?   Or maybe she was just doing what she does best - taking the conversation into the realm of third grade bathroom humor.

ETA: and I don't even want to guess what she meant by "women still ovulating" and the subject of needing an opening in their underwear. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I wonder if doing something else (besides marrying the same guy three times) ever crossed her mind?  

Whoopi's daughter is a grandmother???  How old is Alex?  Whoopi has said her daughter was a teenage mother but when did she become a grandmother?

Gosh I feel old.

• Love 1
56 minutes ago, Cosmocrush said:

The crazy part to me is Whoopi seems to consider herself some sort of parenting expert despite showcasing all the evidence to the contrary.

Concisely correct.

Also, anyone who pays $35,000 for a handbag should have "Shallow Sucker" stamped on their forehead.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

Whoopi's daughter is a grandmother???  How old is Alex?  Whoopi has said her daughter was a teenage mother but when did she become a grandmother?

Gosh I feel old.

Yes, that would be Charli Rose & don't ask me how I know!!!

• Love 2
(edited)
23 minutes ago, Vinyasa said:

Gosh I feel old.

Yeah,  I remember when I first heard it.  Whoopi may or not be the same age as me (depending on which birthdate of hers is real)   But I remember that she became a great-grandmother, and I still don't have grandchildren!  (no hurry, boys - get married first!)  I just recall her defending her granddaughter's choice to have a child while she was still a teenager, because she felt ready to have one.  Because to me, being emotionally "ready"  to have a child is a lot different than being financially ready and independent enough to RAISE a child. 

ETA:  It's always been my biggest pet peeve, when people give a woman applause and praise for "looking so young"  and "I can't believe you  are a GRANDMA!"  yeah, it's pretty easy to be a young-looking grandma.   get knocked up in high school, and make sure your kid does the same!

Edited by backformore
  • Love 13

So exactly how many cameras ARE on raven and Alex to make them appear much larger than a size 6 and size medium? (I have found that joke hilarious ever since I first heard it on Friends.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Little Spoon said:

So exactly how many cameras ARE on raven and Alex to make them appear much larger than a size 6 and size medium? (I have found that joke hilarious ever since I first heard it on Friends.)

LOL, that show still cracks me up and I still stop and watch it every time I see it.   I read recently (can't remember where) that teens and 20 year-olds are discovering it on Netflix and loving it.  That made me smile.  

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Cosmocrush said:

And it's not the first time she's said it--having "to share" her mother with the world. She's said it before. On this show.

And call me juvenile, but I actually enjoyed the bits with Whoopi and Pepe the Prawn. And yes, I did snort and laugh.

Paula is just beyond ridiculous. When Hillary changes her mind (or how I like to think, evolved, changed for the better), she's a flip flopper, But when that fucking blowhard, Drumpf does it over a matter of months, it's because he's a "businessman" and not a politician and that that is what makes him great-he knows how to negotiate or whatever the moronity she was spouting. And Unfuckingbelievable--that he doesn't need to reveal his tax returns because he's a businessman, and because revealing his returns didn't work for Romney. Correct me if I'm wrong, but revealing your returns isn't an option or choice, but mandatory, right? Geeze, my head hurts.

• Love 7

The tax reveal thing is not required but people have been doing it ever since Nixon was prez.  He started the trend.  It's funny because he did it to defend himself from being a "crook" and what was revealed that he only paid .8% taxes on his income.  He ended up being audited and had to pay the IRS a fortune!  

MSNBC did a big story on it and there is probably something on their website about it if anyone cares.  

• Love 5
(edited)
12 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but revealing your returns isn't an option or choice, but mandatory, right? Geeze, my head hurts.

It's not a legal requirement, but the last presidential candidate not to do it was 40 years ago (Gerald Ford). Secretary Clinton has released all her returns since 1992 and Senator Sanders has released his 2014 return.    So while history mandates it, there is no actual requirement to do so. 

source:  http://www.taxhistory.org/www/website.nsf/web/presidentialtaxreturns

ETA:  What @Celia Rubenstein said.   :)

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 7
(edited)

I must be living in upside-down world today, because Raven gave consistently on-point responses. I'm still in shock.

13 hours ago, GiveMeSpace said:

Next week, the ladies at The View will be interviewing a couple of cabbage heads and an empty chair.

Quoted because it's too funny not to be on this page, too.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 6
(edited)

Talking to a muppet prawn for more than 1 minute?  Crazy. The Spew has officially jumped the shark ......yet, again.  Seriously crazy. I FF thru it. 

I know Im being redundant to other posters that Whoops is only happy when the focus is on her.  Raven laughs at everything Whoops says--even when it's not meant to be funny.  Heheh.

I noticed yesterday and earlier this week that Raven is no longer laughing at Joy' s quips. Moreso, Raven keeps a stern, lips,closed, eyes straight ahead ( or at Whoops) , when Joy makes a joke. Freezing her out, probably cuz Whoops is jealous, plus Joy doesn't back down from confronting any nonsensical talk from Raven. Is the spew becoming a middle school clique? Or was it always so behind the scenes? ? 

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

At the beginning of this thread it says Friday's guest is Amanda Peete.

Thanks Sugar, but Amanda Peete was interviewed in the last segment.  There was another guest co-host who I didn't recognize.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, merriebreeze said:

Vanessa Lachey, Nick Lachey's wife. Amanda Peete segment was recorded earlier. Was the Jenny she was referring to Jennifer Connelly? They could be twins

Thanks merriebreeze!  THAT'S why I didn't know her!!!

• Love 1

Paula was more annoying than usual today. I guess it was bittercakes after Jed’s and Raven’s points on Trump, because she was foisting her f***ed-up marriage advice onto Joy of all people. “Poor Steve! Poor Steve!” Yeah, I’m sure Steve is a man and not a child that needs his wife to post about how much she looooves him on Twitter. I’m glad Joy did not play along with her.

Something about Jed—like Sunny—just feels forced and fake. I remember her early appearances, and I don’t believe most of what she’s saying now. Why did they feature Michelle in that TV series The Family when they'd apparently rather have random people like Melissa Joan Heart, Pamela Anderson, and Vanessa Lachey waste a seat at the table?

• Love 1
(edited)
4 hours ago, Tosia said:

I noticed yesterday and earlier this week that Raven is no longer laughing at Joy' s quips. Moreso, Raven keeps a stern, lips,closed, eyes straight ahead ( or at Whoops) , when Joy makes a joke. Freezing her out, probably cuz Whoops is jealous, plus Joy doesn't back down from confronting any nonsensical talk from Raven. Is the spew becoming a middle school clique? Or was it always so behind the scenes? ? 

Interesting.  I'm going to hope that means there actually is a possibility Whoopi will be out next year - although I feel kind of like Charlie Brown kicking a football that Lucy will pull away.  As far as the resemblance to a middle school clique did you watch last year?   That's basically all it was.  After Babs left they kind of stopped pretending they "all loved each other."  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Paula was more annoying than usual today. I guess it was bittercakes after Jed’s and Raven’s points on Trump, because she was foisting her f***ed-up marriage advice onto Joy of all people. “Poor Steve! Poor Steve!” Yeah, I’m sure Steve is a man and not a child that needs his wife to post about how much she looooves him on Twitter. I’m glad Joy did not play along with her.

Darn, I missed the Trump discussion, but I did tune in just in time to see Joy dismiss Paula and her silly demand Joy tell Steve she loves him on TV.   Paula is just such a tone deaf dorky nerd.  Her personality is actually starting to annoy me more than her slimy argument tactics and predictable opinions about virtually everything. It frustrates the hell out of me that with all the discussion about who is leaving at the end of the season, she clearly seems to be sticking around.   BOO!!!

What did Jed and Raven say about Trump that made Paula "bittercakes" ?  Lol, love that expression TheGreenKnight!  Every day at the table, someone gets served a plate of it, it seems.  Paula deserves a whole buffet full, as far as I am concerned. 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
i had some free time
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

What did Jed and Raven say about Trump that made Paula "bittercakes" ?  Lol, love that expression TheGreenKnight!  Every day at the table, someone gets served a plate of it, it seems.  Paula deserves a whole buffet full, as far as I am concerned. 

They were talking about Paul Ryan not endorsing Trump, and Jed said that many Republicans believe Trump is going to destroy the party for years because he's espousing opinions they've tried to distance themselves from over time (like racism, sexism, etc.--which I don't think is really true, but... lol). Then they bemoaned how his bigotry doesn't represent America (again), and Raven said that when you look at all the race-related crime and injustice, it's apparent he does represent America, which is the problem. And then Joy ended the topic by saying that Paul Ryan is more conservative than Trump, which is why he's not supporting him. Something about Jed in particular downing Trump seems to get on Paula's nerves, imo.

• Love 3

Then they bemoaned how his bigotry doesn't represent America (again), and Raven said that when you look at all the race-related crime and injustice, it's apparent he does represent America, which is the problem.

Well heavens to murgatroyd!  Raven made a very good point!

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Tosia said:

Yeah, I think that Whoopi and Joy are at odds with each other, and Raven has been pushed to take sides.  She does give that weird cold shoulder look to Joy, like she's making a conscious effort to NOT roll her eyes.

• Love 2

Well, another stellar week. We got to hear all about Whoopi's dislike of wearing underwear (TMI!!!) and how she defends people who spend $35,000 on a PURSE. And of course Raven-In-This-Industry and her usual nonsense. This show is just amazing in it's longevity. Kinda like Keith Richards.

I just can't wait to see what's ahead for next week!!

• Love 5
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Rick Kitchen said:

Are they really going to have Whoopi reading mean tweets?  No more "I don't care what you say on Twitter"?

Is that on this show or Jimmy Kimmel? When was the last time this show did anything original?   Even "Hot Topics" isn't hot most of the time.  

Edited by Cosmocrush