Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/09/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Whoopi is really controlling this conversation UGH. whether you agree with it or not, Whoopi was ignoring the fact that Facebook was claiming they were unbiased when they were clearly biased and just looking down on people for getting news on Facebook. 

• Love 3

Has Facebook claimed they are unbiased? They didn't say either way on the show, so I'd guess not. I'm sure Paula would've said so if they had.

Boring show today. Of course Raven chimes in when Joy's talking that they are equally to blame for talking about Trump, which is partially true. But, on the other hand, they pick their topics based on headlines--they aren't the ones creating the headlines. (Outside of co-host drama, I mean.)

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Just when I didn't think I could possibly dislike Paula more than I already did ...

Thanks for getting my morning off to a ripping start, Backformore

You are welcome!  Hey, anything I can do to get that little old lady avatar to show me her middle finger is well worth it!

• Love 6

It's a good thing that Paula's best friend has a job that Miss Whoopi respects otherwise she would have been her rude self as usual. Whoopi said she would give Joy a kidney because they have known each other for years and Joy helped get her the job. So, I have Joy to blame for getting Whoopi on this show! lol

I enjoyed the After the View today with Chef Alex. Alex cooked and the panel ate and talked. At one point Joy threw a biscuit at Paula and said they were friends. I believe Joy and Paula are friends even though politically they are worlds apart.

Someone on the comments page said that they enjoy the After Show because it reminds them of the old show. I think that's why I like it. It reminds me of the Meredith days and Joy is just as good as Meredith was.

• Love 4

So today's show was sponsored by Red Lobster, I guess. On Facebook, I "like" the page of reliable sources that report on topics that are of interest to me. I think I am better informed than I used to be on these topics because of Facebook. Whoopi is a dumbass Day # 9,999.

• Love 2

At one point Joy threw a biscuit at Paula and said they were friends. I believe Joy and Paula are friends even though politically they are worlds apart.

I think Paula and Joy are what I call "situational" friends.  If their situation changes they would no longer be friends.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

I think Paula and Joy are what I call "situational" friends.  If their situation changes they would no longer be friends.

I agree. They are work friends is what I see. But work friends they are.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

34 minutes ago, rcc said:

I agree. They are work friends is what I see. But work friends they are.

Joy has been consistently good about this from the first time she was on. She has always had a level head on what the show is to her: a job. She makes the best of the situation and gets along with her co-hosts as much as she can. Partly it's practical and smart, and probably her personality too. I think she is good at compartmentalizing which is rational given the colleagues she's had.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, backformore said:

OK -   Trump's declaration that Hillary Clinton was an abuser of women assaulted by her husband, the statement that Paula repeated and defended -  I just found out where that came from.   (thank you, Rachel Maddow)
Trump was quoting from a book, the Clinton's War on Women.
The author of the book is a Republican conspiracy theorist from Texas, Robert Morrow, who believes that LBJ murdered JFK,   Jeb Bush murdered Barry Seal,  and that Hillary Clinton murdered "everybody at WACO". The guy wears a court jester hat when he talks about his views on his website, where he makes a lot of outrageous claims about which politicians are gay or bisexual.   He says that Bill AND Hillary Clinton sexually abused women.  OH, his co-author is a Trump friend and advisor, Roger Stone. 

SO -  two men have decided to write a book with the intention of taking down Hillary Clinton  -  Trump quotes the book, Paula backs him up, repeating the lies told in the book, as if they are facts. 

Thank you for this!  I was wondering where this was coming from, and it was being spouted by Trump supporters again last night on AC 360. I wish someone had raised there where this came from.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, backformore said:

Paula was out of line, she was agreeing with Trump's  depiction of Bill Clinton as some sort of serial rapist, and Hillary as defending him.   I get that she feels the need to present a conservative view.  I would respect her if I thought she actually did the research and formed her own opinions, because she tends to spit out the party line without any thought. 

16 hours ago, Jaded said:

That's what bugs me about her too that she says stuff she seems to hear or see on TV. It's worse with her since she likes to say she's a "journalist". 

I could have quoted half a dozen excellent posts but backformore and Jaded you've struck on the things that bug me the most.

Paula constantly says she is a journalist.  But the expectation of a journalist is that they are going to convey the FACTS to us with no personal bias evident.  You want to be a pundit, leaning right or left, then say you're a pundit and fire away with your personal opinions.  But DON'T, just DON'T put yourself forward as a journalist that is giving the public the actual facts of any matter if you're just going to quote pages from the playbook the far right hands out to the loyal and faithful and update a story with opinion coming from conservative news only.

Paula ain't no journalist and she's not very good at being a "devil's advocate" (another favourite she bandies about).  In order to be taken seriously at either she would need to hide her obvious agenda way better than she does now.  She's just another Bitsy, with a less screechy and strident voice!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, bannana said:

Thank you for this!  I was wondering where this was coming from, and it was being spouted by Trump supporters again last night on AC 360. I wish someone had raised there where this came from.

Ha!  I wish just one time a producer or even a co-host would check sources (besides some random tweet) on 75% of the topics they mention.  

2 hours ago, onthebrink03 said:

Paula constantly says she is a journalist. 

Paula ain't no journalist and she's not very good at being a "devil's advocate" (another favourite she bandies about).  In order to be taken seriously at either she would need to hide her obvious agenda way better than she does now.  She's just another Bitsy, with a less screechy and strident voice!

That reminds me, did Paula actually call Good Morning America a news outlet?   Now granted I don't watch GMA [if I watch anything it's CBS This Morning] but I laughed out loud when she said that and Peter Jennings probably rolled over in his grave.  

But I don't think Paula is even close to being another Bitsy and this is why:  1)  She actually had a broadcasting career when she joined this show, 2) she tells funny stories about herself and her family without making stuff up and 3) she actually has real life friends, unlike Unlikable Bitsy.   I'm not sure if Paula is just [successfully] trying to irritate Whoopi or if she is just repeating stuff she hears hanging out at that brilliant news outlet GMA, (who probably get their "news" from Twitter like The Today Show does) but since I've yet to hear her voice an original opinion on the presidential election I find it easy to ignore her even while giving her props for getting Whoopi to lose control.     In fact, when she's not trying to be some sort of political "journalist" I pretty much like her.   Shrug.  

• Love 5

CCB/BAB was in the audience tonight for DWTS and Jodie mentioned that production starts on the 2nd season tomorrow. That's probably why CBB isn't there this week and depending on how long it takes to film a season for that show she may be gone for awhile.

Good. The show is just fine without her.

• Love 7

One more nitpick -   Paula's friend talked about her work with organ donation.  Part of what she does is convince families of the  recently deceased to agree to organ donation. 
A couple of segments later, in talking about friendships, Joy joked that a friend was "who is going to give me a kidney?"  Whoopi will!   Then Whoopi talks about celebrities being rich enough that if they need an organ they can just make a phone call and "jump the line".  Paula's friend says, no, you can't do that.  But Whoopi is talking about a famous person asking someone to donate a kidney- which is  completely different, because a LIVE person can donate a kidney.  Paula's friend was talking about donations of organs where there is a federal registry, and a lot of regulations.   Whoopi pretty much didn't believe her, but didn't want to discuss WHY the system works the way it does. This woman knows what the rules are, tries to say so,  and Whoopi pretty much negates what she was saying by reinforcing one of the negative views of organ donations - that if a rich celebrity needs an organ,  they will get one, even if it's to someone else's detriment. 

I noticed CCB telling Jodie, after she was voted off DWTS - "youre on DTWS just like I was, then you'll host The VIew, JUST LIKE I DID,  you're following in my footsteps".  Hmmmmm - past tense, Candace?  I think she's done with this show.

• Love 5

19 minutes ago, backformore said:

One more nitpick -   Paula's friend talked about her work with organ donation.  Part of what she does is convince families of the  recently deceased to agree to organ donation. 
A couple of segments later, in talking about friendships, Joy joked that a friend was "who is going to give me a kidney?"  Whoopi will!   Then Whoopi talks about celebrities being rich enough that if they need an organ they can just make a phone call and "jump the line".  Paula's friend says, no, you can't do that.  But Whoopi is talking about a famous person asking someone to donate a kidney- which is  completely different, because a LIVE person can donate a kidney.  Paula's friend was talking about donations of organs where there is a federal registry, and a lot of regulations.   Whoopi pretty much didn't believe her, but didn't want to discuss WHY the system works the way it does. This woman knows what the rules are, tries to say so,  and Whoopi pretty much negates what she was saying by reinforcing one of the negative views of organ donations - that if a rich celebrity needs an organ,  they will get one, even if it's to someone else's detriment. 

I noticed CCB telling Jodie, after she was voted off DWTS - "youre on DTWS just like I was, then you'll host The VIew, JUST LIKE I DID,  you're following in my footsteps".  Hmmmmm - past tense, Candace?  I think she's done with this show.

Backformore, as much as it pains me,  I have to agree with Whoopi on this one. I have personal knowledge of somone who just jumped to the front of the line for a liver transplant and (wait for it): the person is an alcoholic. Until this happened I believed that the waiting list was strictly followed. I was told, "its not strictly about need, but rather finances and whether the person has a good support system at home, ect.  Color me shocked. If this were to get out I think it would really damage the organ donation program so Im not surprised they don't admit it.

Btw, where in the world is Sherri?

3 minutes ago, ChicagoCita said:

I'm an acronym Luddite. CCB is Candace Cameron Bure. DWTS is Dancing With The Stars. But I'm stumped at BAB.

Born Again Barbie

• Love 3
13 hours ago, bannana said:

Spend an afternoon dialing around on your AM radio dial.  It's all they have been talking about for a few weeks/months/years.  And Red State Americans hang on every syllable.  They have heard it all for years (heck. Hannity has a slogan where he lists out all the women wronged by Bill Clinton -- he spews it every time that "women's issues" are brought up.)  It's taken as gospel and will be brought up daily for the next six months. And as long as sore loser Berniacs opt for video games, snapchat selfies, and vegan potlucks in the fall, it will be one of the reasons that Clinton loses.

• Love 4

This show is no better than the bottom of the barrel "media" organizations that spew all those lies and innuendo about the candidates.  Even when the View brings up a topic to discredit it they are still putting the lies and innuendo out there for even more people to see and hear.

And Paula seems to get pleasure out of spreading all the misinformation.  And as mentioned above a journalist shouldn't let her obvious political leanings show.

• Love 6

I don't mind Jedediah today. but I still think this show would be a lot of more enjoyable moving joy to the moderator chair and adding sunny in there. I think one thing EVERYONE on this board can agree with is GET RID OF WHOOPI. Anyone want to start a petition?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, susieq147 said:

This show is no better than the bottom of the barrel "media" organizations that spew all those lies and innuendo about the candidates.  Even when the View brings up a topic to discredit it they are still putting the lies and innuendo out there for even more people to see and hear.

And Paula seems to get pleasure out of spreading all the misinformation.  And as mentioned above a journalist shouldn't let her obvious political leanings show.

This is exactly why I gave Whoopi a pass on her behavior towards Paula the other day.  Many people viewed her as being a bully, but sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.  I'm glad that for once Whoopi's rudeness served a legitimate purpose.

• Love 5
(edited)
5 hours ago, susieq147 said:

Not to mention that, there is something unseemly about intimating that your  twice former President is a serial rapist and that his wife who is now running for the office of the Presidency, was complicit in those vile acts. I know that we have  freedom of speech, but, there is something wrong with doing that..You need to show respect to the office of the Presidency, regardless of who is in there....I had no problem with Whoopie being a bitch to Paula in this instance..She deserved it...Paula was channeling Elizabeth and it was not a good look...It reminded of when our President was running for the office and Bitsy was shrieking ad nauseun for weeks, what about Reverend Wright? and insinuating that he had ties to terrorists.. That was when I became a card-carrying member of  the I hate Elizabeth Hasselbach club..She was disgusting throughout the 2008 elections....Her hatred of our now Esteem President was very telling in so many ways....I still like Paula and I still think that she has a good heart, unlike Bitsy...

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 9

These past few weeks (months?) have been dreadful and I can't pinpoint why? This season started off so great but it's been so boring lately. I like all the cohosts they rotate through (for the most part) so it's not that.

Maybe it's the Not Topics? 

(edited)
1 hour ago, geekburger said:

These past few weeks (months?) have been dreadful and I can't pinpoint why? This season started off so great but it's been so boring lately. I like all the cohosts they rotate through (for the most part) so it's not that.

Maybe it's the Not Topics? 

Maybe, but I think the Not Hot Topics have always been mostly lame.  I'm thinking it's the lack of guests and/or that his show has always done politics so badly they shouldn't even try.  Like Joy pointed out the other day, there are a lot of other things going on in the world!

On 5/10/2016 at 10:05 AM, rcc said:

I enjoyed the After the View today with Chef Alex. Alex cooked and the panel ate and talked. At one point Joy threw a biscuit at Paula and said they were friends. I believe Joy and Paula are friends even though politically they are worlds apart.

Someone on the comments page said that they enjoy the After Show because it reminds them of the old show. I think that's why I like it. It reminds me of the Meredith days and Joy is just as good as Meredith was.

I hope TPTB are paying attention to the comments because all the after-shows have just one thing in common - no Whoopi.   So the few After Shows I've seen have always been better than the show preceding it since everyone gets a chance to get a word in before Whoopi The Great Expert On Everything takes all the time. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 2
(edited)

Could it be that the directors/producers/behind the scenes folks have given up on Whoopi and are no longer attempting to cover for her or make her look good? Based on her eye rolls and silence when Whoopi screws up, Joy's done with Whoopi. I read somewhere (Radaronline, I think) that TPTB  are demanding that Whoopi accept a pay cut in order to re-up. So what does the EGOT do in that case? Move on, I hope.

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 5

I read about the pay cut too. Joy is signed on for 3 years at $2.5 million per. If Whoopi signs on again ABC wants her at $2.5 per too. Whoopi apparently says she would want to work only 3 days a week if that were the case. Whoopi is making $5 million per, as was Rosie. I still can't believe ABC is negotiating with her after all she's said and done this year. The latest is that she only watches news on the BBC. If BW were there she would be appalled that an ABC employee doesn't watch and/or give kudos to ABC News. But it's only one more thing to show that Whoopi has a bad attitude.

Get rid of her already!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Bingo!  she is a journalist in name only!    You can't say you are a journalist  and then act nothing like one - impartial.  Worse, she is saying stuff that isn't really true.  The minute she said, a while ago, that she was leaning toward Trump, I knew it was going to be difficult to listen to her opinions.

• Love 7

ok, while this cannot be a drinking game due to danger of severe alchohol poisoning, is anyone willing to take a count of just how many times Miss Whoopi says "you know" during a whole show? (you will need an extra pen)

• Love 3
1 minute ago, pachebo said:

ok, while this cannot be a drinking game due to danger of severe alchohol poisoning, is anyone willing to take a count of just how many times Miss Whoopi says "you know" during a whole show? (you will need an extra pen)

Same thing with Raven's 'the industry."  She said it 3 or 4 times today. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I noticed that more than once, raven has said that she's been working since she was 3 years old.  When she says it, she kind of spits it out in a very angry way.  I would be very interested in hearing THAT "hot topic".   Her identity is s wrapped up in having to work since she was little, and she seems bitter about it.  

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I had a friend who used to get fixated on a word and use it incessantly for months, until another word caught his fancy. (I remember once it was "stately," and his roommate finally just screamed "that word!" and walked out of the room.) I wonder if Raven has that same tic. I don't remember her using "the industry" until relatively recently.

5 minutes ago, Fannysue said:

How come I have never heard anyone else use the term "in the industry?"

I've heard others use it on TV occasionally but never to the extent Raven does. She seems to use it at least once each time she's there to host.

• Love 1

I remember the good old days and real celebrities came on. Often they were young mothers, EH and SS would say - OMG- how do you ever manage!!. And the guest would sweetly say they were fortunate to be able to have help.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, backformore said:

I noticed that more than once, raven has said that she's been working since she was 3 years old.  When she says it, she kind of spits it out in a very angry way.  I would be very interested in hearing THAT "hot topic".   Her identity is s wrapped up in having to work since she was little, and she seems bitter about it.  

The other day, when Whoopi said/assumed that parents generally wouldn't take advantage of their young children and exploit them, Raven noted that she is an example of that as she has been working since she was three years old.

I agree with what Joy said about how dumb it is to spend $35,000 on a HANDBAG!!!! A BLOODY HANDBAG!!! Just think of all the good that could be done with that money - give it charities, help animals, schools, hospitals, etc. Whoopi really tore a strip off her over that which of course, contradicts the whole point of the show which is SUPPOSED to be hearing different points of view.

So.....only if the great and powerful Whoopi agrees with it, does it matter?

Pretty lame show on the whole. I mean.....a MUPPET?!!!! Seriously?!!

And I also want to thank whoever burned that hideous scarf. I almost expected it to walk off the stage at some point!!

• Love 13
(edited)
6 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

Pretty lame show on the whole. I mean.....a MUPPET?!!!! Seriously?!!

Next week, the ladies at The View will be interviewing a couple of cabbage heads and an empty chair.

Edited by GiveMeSpace
  • Love 14