Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E06: Beast Of Bourbon

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, JenFromCincy said:

I'm a stream of consciousness kind of talker, so it seemed to me like he made the fireside chat analogy, realized they were solo and that Khruschev wasn't in play so he made the Kennedy course correction. Considering all of the "man on the street" interviews I've seen where people can't name the current V.P., I found the references refreshing even though he didn't get them correct on the first go.

Oh I totally agree! I am just pendatic and annoyed after I read the interview with Landon where things they say will just go over or hesds! It was quippy and Thomas knew what he meant but I was being salty!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Moon Beam said:

I'm thinking that Craig may have got the money for the check he wrote to JD from Naomi. Otherwise I'm not sure what reason she could have to be THAT upset about this.

This was so bizarre to me but that makes total sense.  Why in the world would Naomi cry about Craig getting put in his place? Unless she thought he was going to be running a million dollar business and she helped pay into it.  BOOM!

2 hours ago, Lizzing said:

I really want to know why Craig paid J.D. the $15K.  J.D. treats him like an assistant, and that's fine for an entry level job and learning the business.  But you don't pay to get an entry level job.  I don't really even care if the money was real; I want to know what the narrative point of it was.  J.D. plays off taking Craig on as a guy helping a younger buddy out get by getting said buddy's foot in the door. 

When Craig paid the $15k he said that it was only a partial by-in to the business and this rest would be paid to JD by working for him full time.  Now I don't know what that means in terms of what kind of paycheck Craig brings home or how long he has to work 'for' JD to be a real partner but it seems a little screwy.  I think if I was paying someone $15k to be part of their business I would expect to have a little more job duties than just assistant too.

1 hour ago, JenFromCincy said:

I was going to snip that exact quote, because my eyes rolled so hard when I read it.  Not only is she severely overestimating her own intelligence, but she also proves how naive she is about the audience.  A giant chunk of the conversations on this board consist of us being baffled by how some of them don't know the most basic things. 

I think Shep is actually smarter than he lets on.  When he was at Thomas' and made a reference to FDR and the fireside chats, and then about Kennedy and Khrushchev, I thought that there is more to him than meets the eye.  I also think that while he should have been on time for the showing, that he was right in his assessment of selling real estate.  Yes there are things to learn, especially if you are selling properties where much of the value is in the history, but it isn't rocket science and Cam seems to forget that she knew less than nothing a scant year or so ago. 

Someone else already mentioned this, but you can tell that Shep is VERY smart.  He subtly interjects quotes and facts, just enough that you're like "hmm?" He is totally not the dumbo playboy that he portrays. 

28 minutes ago, Kiki620 said:

Danni seems like such a great girl, even despite the noted stink face.  Two things about her time on screen:  when she walked in, I think it was Whitney (?), grabbed her waist and made a shocked statement, "you're soooo skinny"!  And she is and I hope she's healthy.  Second, when JD proposed she run the bourbon division, she made such a face and said to him, "JD, you know why I had to get out!"  I hope that didn't indicate a drinking problem??  Anyone else catch that?

I thought she said something like "you know I just got out of the business" 

If she had a drinking problem I don't think she'd be at the tasting

• Love 9
(edited)
31 minutes ago, selhars said:

How about Craig show some self motivation and do some research on bourbon in general. Show some hustle -- and impress  JD with some initiative. Most bosses like it when they have a go-getter for a gopher. They enjoy having a mini-me. It feeds their ego. Craig should become JD's mini me, gopher, right hand man. And have stuff for him before he even asks.

This right here. It is not like Craig was with JD when he planned and started the company. It is not "half his" or anything even close. It looks to me like JD wants to give him a chance, which is more than a lot of people would have done based on Craig at the law firm last season. If he is smart and takes his time, he could DEFINITELY parlay this into a lucrative career, but of course it isn't going to happen overnight. He coughed up a paltry $15k. I am assuming it is for some percentage of the business  (a small one) based on his buy in and sweat equity. Kind of like an employee with profit sharing or something. If he plays his cards right, he could perhaps run the bourbon side of things in a few years, but it is insane of him to think he is going to be handed something so huge with absolutely zero experience at all. Being JD's assistant is a GREAT place for him to start with the less than zero business experience that he has. He could eventually be JD's swcond in command if he plays it right. JD doesn't seem like an idiot, so why would he hire someone with absomutely no business experience at all and immediatEly put him into a very crucial positiom in the company where he could do severe damage? Craig can shadow JD and learn from him. I can't imagine where Craig gets this attitude that everyone has everything handed to them. His parents seemed like hard working middle class folks. Seems that hanging around all the privileged people of this show has rubbed off on Craig and he thinks hard work is not necessary to succeed. It is baffling. 

Edited by bblancobrnx
Clarify
  • Love 13
(edited)
12 hours ago, ivygirl said:

Craig, you're in need of a reality check. And your girlfriend is, too. 

I'm wondering if the $15,000 Craig invested with JD came from the girlfriend, all or in part.  That might explain her anger.   Maybe she was led to believe by Craig that the investment would get him in the bourbon biz.  

ETA:  I see Moonbeam beat me to it.   Sorry, I did not read the whole thread before posting. 

Edited by SuzWhat
  • Love 5

Danni, who has been on all three seasons, has never had a talking head. No, she isn't a main cast member but neither are JD, Cooper, or Jennifer. Danni is unlikely to flip a table, become pregnant by an aging Southern dynasty scion, keep used pregnancy test pee sticks in a drawer, or yank out a fellow cast member's weave. She dresses fashionably yet appropriately and seems to be held in high regard by the entire cast. Bravo probably finds her casting their greatest regret.

• Love 22
(edited)

I think Craig was led to believe he would have more responsibility because of the buy-in, but it is foolish for him to think that a division will be handed to him when he hasn't even bothered to Google the basics.  If he had the passion he claims for that side of the business, he wouldn't have had to ask Danni to sit by him at the tasting.  No amount of Cliff's notes is going to be enough to get you the throne.

Craig is lazy. And thinks he's entitled, based on all the trophies at his parents' home. It's his own fault he wound up looking like a fool, and giving JD $15,000 to be his go-fer.

Kathryn wants nothing more than airtime. She has zero interest in being friends with Elizabeth, unless it gives her an "in" to Thomas. She is one of the fakest fakers ever to be on reality TV. She's too transparent with her thirst.

Edited by Major Bigtime
  • Love 8
5 minutes ago, SuzWhat said:

I'm wondering if the $15,000 Craig invested with JD came from the girlfriend, all or in part.  That might explain her anger.   Maybe she was led to believe by Craig that the investment would get him in the bourbon biz.  

I don't think it's that because Craig was acting like he had never heard of bourbon before this tasting, much less knew that JD made and sold bourbon.  It all seemed like a big surprise to him when he walked into that warehouse and saw all the barrels.

And I don't think Craig got any money from Naomi.  He would have had money from his Bravo paychecks if nothing else.

• Love 2
(edited)

I can totally see why Craig is confused about his role with JD's company. He gave the man 15K!! Like, wtf? What was the money for and where did it go? JD's pockets? Was it an investment? Shady shit, IMO. I've gotten the impression for some time that something isn't right with JD.

Landon is an inarticulate mess.

Edited by trimthatfat
  • Love 8
13 minutes ago, izabella said:

I don't think it's that because Craig was acting like he had never heard of bourbon before this tasting, much less knew that JD made and sold bourbon.  It all seemed like a big surprise to him when he walked into that warehouse and saw all the barrels.

And I don't think Craig got any money from Naomi.  He would have had money from his Bravo paychecks if nothing else.

But if you take a job and you're not familiar with the product, what do you do? You research it or you go to night school. I took a job many years ago that shoved me into a new position of doing accounting. I had no clue, but I took an accounting class at night so I'd be able to keep my job and help my employer. Craig is lazy.

• Love 6

My husband is friends with Lock, and we have been trying to get the scoop ever since we saw the preview last week.  She can't possibly have been that dumb and unprepared IRL, right? Right? I thought he was pretty fair to her about everything though.

• Love 7

Naomie will be sorry long term if she stays with Craig. Way too many red flags about his character.

Cameran seems really over being on this show. She is snippy about everything. She didn't want to go to coffee with Kathryn (fully understandable but I feel she would have in the first two seasons, regardless of Kathryn's volatile nature), was cranky at having to be at Shep's skating party and now Shep invites them to his cabin in NC and she makes a face and asks what they will do there.

Not sure if it is because her husband is telling her not to associate with these people/the show or her own feelings but she is definitely no longer into it. I am getting a similar vibe from Shep. He was so testy at his party.

That is interesting that Landon said the producers are taking the drama way down notches because there are children involved. I wonder if the rumors are true that Kathryn was sleeping around for drugs while pregnant the second time? If so she is a very sick individual. And does Thomas know for SURE that Julien is his son??

• Love 5

Had to laugh at Katherine. First shot of her closet and  she made sure we saw her "red soles" on display shouting "SEE WHAT I HAVE!" ...if they were real Laboutins. ;-)

• Love 5
(edited)
47 minutes ago, gunderda said:

When Craig paid the $15k he said that it was only a partial by-in to the business and this rest would be paid to JD by working for him full time.

What does that even mean?

Is the company privately held? LLCs inside LLCs or a true corporation.? And even if it is.... I get the impression everyone of the board would be a relative or close friend of JD all with minor interests. And I don't see JD giving up any REAL percentage of his company to Craig…operations or profits. Now if a one percent interest is worth all that Craig paid him PLUS more the Craig would "work off" -- more power to JD.

Why not just HIRE Craig? What's with all the "buy in" crap? Buy in to get WHAT exactly?

OMG….Let's get real. Does anyone REALLY see JD giving Craig any real responsibility and letting him takeover ANY "division" of his company? He met this kid through a TV show. He's seen how Craig is. They're young, of course. but JD has his own children, and I'm sure he has other family members. The company seems to be privately held, or close to it. Craig isn't going to be running $#!t. The entire idea of that is ludicrous. IMO

Edited by selhars
  • Love 7
10 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Craig is ridiculously naive, but JD clearly set Craig up to look like a fool. JD should have been able to provide Craig with a facts and specifications sheet about Gentry bourbon. Craig should have been able to tell people if it's all corn or a mix of corn, wheat, and rye. How long it's aged. The type of oak used in the barrels. How it's fermented. Craig should have known all about the elements that they were asking about in the tasting. But Craig didn't know any of that because JD didn't share any of that with Craig. So Craig is left to wildly speculate about getting bartenders in town to stock the bourbon because JD hasn't bothered to educate Craig. Craig was right that JD wasn't being transparent. Even if JD had provided Craig with all of that information, it would be presumptuous and insane to think he would be running that business after a couple of weeks. Actually I think that the only reason that JD has Craig involved in any of his businesses is because JD knows he's too boring to get any of his stuff on the air without another cast member. I cannot believe Craig didn't know that bourbon is an American whisky.

I agree with you that JD should have provided all that information to Craig, but maybe the reason he didn't is because JD doesn't know that much about bourbon making himself?  

There is something about JD that bothers me.  On the surface, I like him, but at times, there is something about him that just turns me off.  I don't know what it is, but there is something there....plus, his little laugh at the end of some of his comments reminds me of Dick Dastardly.

IIRC, when Craig was getting hired as a gofer "buying in" to the Gentry Hospitality Group, I thought that JD explained that Craig's job responsibilities would include working with/overseeing different departments of the Gentry brand, including the restaurants, the hotels AND the bourbon line.  

• Love 6
50 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I thought she said something like "you know I just got out of the business" 

If she had a drinking problem I don't think she'd be at the tasting

Re: Danni, ya I agree, I don't think she'd be there if she had a problem, and I don't think she has a problem either.  When you work in the booze industry with distributors, etc. it involves a lot of dinners and entertaining, as well as moderate consumption that goes along with the discussion.  Of course these people don't all wind up alcoholics, but that type of work mostly takes place in the evening and it does wear you out after a while.  I wouldn't be surprised if her weight loss was primarily attributed to not eating out and consuming alcohol as often as she was when she was in the business.  She might just be a naturally thin person.  And I love her stink face :)

• Love 4

I don't GET what JD is doing with Craig.  I generally like JD, but this whole thing with Craig buying in and paying with sweat equity and JD using him as an assistant is strange and shady.  Like, was there some sort of agreement in writing?  What did Craig think he was going to be doing? 

And don't even get me started on Landon's goddamn travel magazine/lifestyle blog.  Why can't these people get regular, 9-5 jobs? 

• Love 5
25 minutes ago, Giselle said:

Had to laugh at Katherine. First shot of her closet and  she made sure we saw her "red soles" on display shouting "SEE WHAT I HAVE!" ...if they were real Laboutins. ;-)

Probably purchased through the same website where she purchased the "faux real" Birkin!!  :-)

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, Nancybeth said:

And don't even get me started on Landon's goddamn travel magazine/lifestyle blog.  Why can't these people get regular, 9-5 jobs? 

They can't get up before noon?

• Love 6

Not gonna lie... if I didn't have to I'm not sure I'd be up before noon either lol

Well maybe I would because if I sleep past 9 on the weekends I feel like I wasted half the day, but I might be accustomed to that because of having a regular job lol

• Love 4

Naomi.  What the hell was that school mom outfit she had on?  She's frumpy way before her time.  And the way she was talking to him makes me think he's looking for a mom in a mate.

Landon is a total idiot.  Her dad better get used to funding her for the rest of her life.  

• Love 6

Craig really thought JD was going to pick him to run the bourbon division?? Why did he even think that?  He acted like he had just heard of the bourbon.  Delusional much? I have no idea what Craig paid JD for,  but it had nothing to do with the bourbon. 

I'd love to know more about Danni. 

Elizabeth is a classy kind woman.  Kathryn  cut people out of her life, and that is totally her right,  but to come sniffing around once the cameras are rolling is very transparent. 

I have no problem with Cam not wanting to be around Kathryn. They weren't friends K acts like a loon most of the time.  So I'd be like keep your crazy on your side of the street, too. 

I had to ff Landon,  I hate feeling second hand embarrament. 

• Love 7

I went to Landon's new lifestyle fashion art travel page and it said Submitt your area by emailng us.

Oh, Landon. She wants to run a magazine and can't even be bothered to check spelling. Bless her heart.

• Love 11

If there was ANY way he could get out of the arrangement, I hope JD hands back the $15k.

Bad decision on his part and he is realizing it.

Craig and Landon, God forbid they get together and have kids. It would be worse than t Thomas and Katherine.

• Love 1

I thought, from what we've been shown, that JD had made it pretty clear that Craig would be working in whatever the construction/refurbishing aspect of the business is.  It seems Craig decided he wanted to be on the bourbon side and he is used to being given whatever he wants.  Without any effort or sacrifice on his part.  My words of advice to Craig would be - if you have to pay someone to hire you, you're probably not high on the list for an instant promotion.  Generally, a big reason people work is to be paid for it.

• Love 9
(edited)

The memory of Kenzie's temper tantrum at the beginning of this episode makes my ovaries shudder and invert, although apparently it was pretty mild as child meltdowns go.

It was pretty mild as far as adult meltdowns on this show go, let alone child meltdowns.  Given Kenzie's genes, I'd expect much more from her in terms of tantrum throwing.  As a scion of two great Southern tantrum throwers, she's really squandering her talents.

Edited by yourmomiseasy
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, bblancobrnx said:

This right here. It is not like Craig was with JD when he planned and started the company. It is not "half his" or anything even close. It looks to me like JD wants to give him a chance, which is more than a lot of people would have done based on Craig at the law firm last season. If he is smart and takes his time, he could DEFINITELY parlay this into a lucrative career, but of course it isn't going to happen overnight. He coughed up a paltry $15k. I am assuming it is for some percentage of the business  (a small one) based on his buy in and sweat equity. Kind of like an employee with profit sharing or something. If he plays his cards right, he could perhaps run the bourbon side of things in a few years, but it is insane of him to think he is going to be handed something so huge with absolutely zero experience at all. Being JD's assistant is a GREAT place for him to start with the less than zero business experience that he has. He could eventually be JD's swcond in command if he plays it right. JD doesn't seem like an idiot, so why would he hire someone with absomutely no business experience at all and immediatEly put him into a very crucial positiom in the company where he could do severe damage? Craig can shadow JD and learn from him. I can't imagine where Craig gets this attitude that everyone has everything handed to them. His parents seemed like hard working middle class folks. Seems that hanging around all the privileged people of this show has rubbed off on Craig and he thinks hard work is not necessary to succeed. It is baffling. 

I third that. JD does enjoy a sinister-sounding laugh, but I think he is genuinely trying to give Craig a second chance that could be very lucrative for him if he ever decides to grow the fuck up. And one he would never get anywhere elseIf Craig had done any research whatsoever into this area in which he has his heart set on working, he would not have been so surprised by what he saw at the tasting. JD is no fool. He knows that if he encourages Craig in the bourbon area, the silly sod will lose interest in all else and constantly beg to be allowed to focus on that division exclusively. JD is trying to teach him from the ground up and that you’re not too good for any job, ergo, the edict to keep some clothes that can get dirty at the office in case you have to do some hammering. Craig is so lucky and too stupid to appreciate it.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, njbchlover said:

I agree with you that JD should have provided all that information to Craig, but maybe the reason he didn't is because JD doesn't know that much about bourbon making himself?  

There is something about JD that bothers me.  On the surface, I like him, but at times, there is something about him that just turns me off.  I don't know what it is, but there is something there....plus, his little laugh at the end of some of his comments reminds me of Dick Dastardly.

IIRC, when Craig was getting hired as a gofer "buying in" to the Gentry Hospitality Group, I thought that JD explained that Craig's job responsibilities would include working with/overseeing different departments of the Gentry brand, including the restaurants, the hotels AND the bourbon line.  

JD did indicate that Craig might be working the bourbon line along with hotel. The thing that irritates me is that JD clearly hasn't had Craig monitor the construction at the hotel without giving him plans, budgets, and deadlines. But for some reason he's been dead silent about the bourbon line. How hard would it have been to say to Craig waaaaaaaaaay before the tasting that the bourbon line is too new and maybe somewhere later down the line that Craig might have a place there, but not now. I think that Craig is an entitled dumbbell, but I think that JD is a bad boss. Both things can be true.

Like you, I want to like JD, but some of the things he says are just so slimy. I think JD is the reason that Kathryn just stopped talking to Elizabeth. I think Kathryn was afraid to share things with Elizabeth because she'd likely tell JD. JD would put his slimy spin on it and share it with Thomas. Thomas would use it against Kathryn. There's no good way for Kathryn to tell Elizabeth that she doesn't trust JD. It's just easier to just stop talking to her.

In the preview of the rest of the season, JD is the one to bring up getting a paternity test. I'm sure Thomas and Kathryn had probably agreed to it privately, but did JD have to put her on blast like that? But even still, Thomas feels reliably confident that the kid is his cause he's making plans for accommodating the baby in his life. All of sudden JD has to roll on up and be like "pump the brakes. Kathryn is a slut." If I was Kathryn, I wouldn't want JD knowing any of my business either.

• Love 14

I remember the Southern Charm people being filmed at various locations in my neck of the woods not too long ago. Shep's parents having a cabin nearby would explain why. But yea, hiking and outdoorsy type things don't strike me as Cameron and Whitneys cup of tea. I'm struggling to remember if Katherine was photographed here as well though. If she was that certainly blows the whole high blood pressure/bed rest excuse she's got going out of the water. At the very least it proves she doesn't give a shit about the well being of little Saint.

If Craig really wanted a piece of the Bourbon business he would have showed up to the tasting with more knowledge than JD. If nothing else he should have been able to go toe to toe with the man instead of cowering in the corner like an idiot. The only thing appealing to Craig about the Bourbon business is the fact that he could potentially get paid to be a drunkard. 

Landon and the magazine is purely for story line purposes. I think she's fine making money doing the show and hoping to some day attract a rich sugar daddy. 

Do JD and his wife have triplets or were they just dressed As such for the cameras? I'm actually glad Katherine and her had a heart to heart. It's obvious she needs some positive female influence in her life. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Bossa Nova said:

Anybody know what both Danni and that Jennifer Snowdon do for a living ?

I have no idea about Danni's actual gig, but I'm willing to bet that she was a wine/spirits wholesaler for various bars/restaurants/shops in Charleston and maybe other areas. I have a friend who does that in DC and she makes a good living doing it, but it took years to develop her client base and it can be very cutthroat in certain markets. She basically had to have extensive, almost sommelier-level knowledge of various wines and their regions, as well as a more advanced knowledge of certain liquors---she also had to get certifications to sell different wines/liquors and she regularly sets up tastings with her various markets/clients. I could see where Danni likely got to know this crew from having JD's restaurants/bars on her client list. And much like women working in medical sales(like half those "Bachelor" ladies), the more attractive and engaging the women, the better they do.

I used to read Jennifer's fashion/interior design blog when she still wrote on it regularly. Apparently she was once a rather successful realtor. Which makes sense to me---she comes off like a realtor type to me.

• Love 6

My advice to Craig is that if he manifests any interest in something he wants to oversee at least do a little research to impress the boss.

Google, it's more than just a porn search engine Craig.

• Love 14
7 minutes ago, Mountainair said:

If Craig really wanted a piece of the Bourbon business he would have showed up to the tasting with more knowledge than JD. If nothing else he should have been able to go toe to toe with the man instead of cowering in the corner like an idiot. The only thing appealing to Craig about the Bourbon business is the fact that he could potentially get paid to be a drunkard. 

Craig just thought it would be so very cool to be in the "bourbon business" especially when he thought he was going to be given a job running it, lol.  He likes the idea of it more than the reality of the construction business work he'd been doing for JD (working is hard, y'all!).

Bourbon sounded a lot  more fun to Craig, despite not knowing diddly squat about it.  He also didn't know diddly squat about JD's bourbon business specifically.  He had no idea JD's operation was as large as it is, nor a single thing about bourbon.  He's probably never even tasted bourbon before...he seems like a cocktails or beer guy to me. 

He's an idiot if he thought anyone would hire him to RUN anything, anything at all, seeing as he never has.  He thought because he sent out an email and printed some question sheets that he was  in charge of the tasting (again, lol) and that he would be the big shot.

Naomi is pissed that Craig isn't going to be a big shot, not now and maybe not ever.

• Love 8
16 minutes ago, bosawks said:

My advice to Craig is that if he manifests any interest in something he wants to oversee at least do a little research to impress the boss.

How did he ever get through law school?  He doesn't seem to have a scrap of sense.  Didn't he cite some business training as well?  Unlikely that any of it penetrated. 

He's been spoiled by being pretty.

• Love 7

As much as I love the beautiful Charleston scenery and the cast, this show is running out of gas for me. It has become too formulaic and predictable, setting up the Wacko Female (Kathryn) against the Establishment (T. Rav., Patricia) with an assorted crew of Southern Preppies butterflying around.  Yawn. The first season was such a breath of fresh air and I even liked last season.  But this one...meh.  I will still watch it but not with as much enthusiasm.  As much as I loved Cameran in the first season, she gets the easy edit as the voice of reason and we don't see much from her real life.  Where is her husband, the doctor?  Where is Whitney's girlfriend and what is happening with his restaurant?  Too much focus on Kathryn, T. Rav and Craig as trainwrecks for me.

I will say that I agree with everyone about Elizabeth and Danni -- love them both and wish they were on the show more often.

• Love 5
(edited)

Craig is a gopher assistant, who makes phone calls and does JD's office work.

I haven't seen ANYthing that makes me think that even on the hotel/construction/hospitality side of things that Craig has done ANYthing other than coordinate something, whatever that something might be.

OK, so he calls the construction site and then relays to JD whatever the GC might have said. Or he finds out what time a delivery is supposed to arrive -- and reminds JD about that or some meeting he might have -- "don't forget you wanted to call XYZ today."  

So…JD asks when the last time some item was ordered so Craig will look that up. Or JD might want to refresh his memory about the costs of a project -- and tell Craig to work up the numbers on something or other. So Craig does the grit work of pulling up and putting together all the numbers in one chart or report for JD to look at. But it's JD who's still making all the decisions. JD just doesn't want to MAKE the calls and do the minutia work anymore. He wants some one ELSE to make the call for him -- and say "Joe is on line two." Then the big man will pick up the phone. I've seen nothing to make me think CRAIG is the one actually making ANY decisions about ANYthing. or has been given the authority to do so. I don't what makes anyone think JD is REALLY interested in giving Craig any decision making power at all -- on anything.

I know -- from what I've seen on TV anyway -- I wouldn't trust him or order coffee.

Look at the bourbon tasting….emailing friends? THAT is how you invite people to a tasting which could also be seen as a pre-launch event for a new brand? Email the show's other cast mates and a few friends? TRUE…JD wanted a small gathering. Because they're not ready to launch, yet. But still. Also, a person can ORGANIZE an event -- and not RUN the event. Happens all the time. My friends who organize/plan their company's booth/presentation at a trade show….don't RUN the presentation once their at the show. They're still the grunt people -- there, in the background making sure everything runs smoothly. But not the presenters.

So I saw no problem at all with Craig PLANNING the tasting and not being in charge at the actual event. And it should have been better planned. That's another thing that shows Craig doesn't know what he's doing. It looked -- on TV -- as if no one knew how the event would proceed or what was happening or what had actually been planned.

Edited by selhars
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Nancybeth said:

I don't GET what JD is doing with Craig.  I generally like JD, but this whole thing with Craig buying in and paying with sweat equity and JD using him as an assistant is strange and shady.  Like, was there some sort of agreement in writing?  What did Craig think he was going to be doing? 

I would like to know the terms of that agreement - can't imagine what Craig thought he was buying; it isn't enough money to be a partner, but too much to be a go-fer.

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, nexxie said:

I would like to know the terms of that agreement - can't imagine what Craig thought he was buying; it isn't enough money to be a partner, but too much to be a go-fer.

It actually underscores how dumb Craig is because he went to law school and has seemed to have signed a partnership agreement that is unclear and doesn't seem to benefit him in any way.

• Love 10

I have a really tough time watching Craig.  I have no problem with him not taking the Bar if he's realized that the law is not for him.  I do have a problem with him thinking he's super smart as we've seen no evidence of such intelligence.  He really does seem to think he's a special snowflake.  I would love to see him and Landon have to work for Kate on Below Deck.

• Love 10

The bourbon tasting had Lawson the event planner (minus the Lilly scarf that Patricia's event planner wore). The only thing Craig did was email his cast mates, show up and whine.

And Kewper just needs to go away. 

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

It actually underscores how dumb Craig is because he went to law school and has seemed to have signed a partnership agreement that is unclear and doesn't seem to benefit him in any way.

It never seemed like a partnership agreement and $15,000 isn't getting you more than a pittance share in either JDs hotel or a bourbon business that clearly was a lot larger than Craig even realized (it was also clearly more than a few months in the making and already had a partner their rep was clearly the one in charge of even this fake bourbon tasting.)

• Love 4
2 hours ago, njbchlover said:

YES! I am so glad someone else thinks "Hey, Dick Dastardly and Wacky Racers!" while watching these scions of Dixie  - Whitney as Muttley the Dog snickering - and of course Landon as Penelope Pitstop, the brave but fragile fair maiden in distress...running in her high heel boots and open pink Parasol  ;)

https://youtu.be/FdghRwWfaOQ

1 hour ago, bosawks said:

ROFL - just Priceless and probably so true.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, whydoievencare said:

Best sentence ever!  I'm going to try to remember that for future use in real life!!

LOL,  you got what I  meant, right? 

I am truly  embarrassed ? I could blame my phone but I'd be lying,  I misspell everything. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Craig is so fricking stupid.  Why couldn't he educate himself (do a quick crash course) on bourbon?  I don't get it.  Unlimited information delivered instantly! is available with a touch of a button nowdays.  It's called the internet.  Damn, it's not like the olden days when one had to physically go to the library and check out a book for the information.

What the hell is wrong with Craig?  I agree that Craig thinks because he wrote out a check for 15K to JD he thinks he's entitled to a really nice job within JD's organization, er, EMPIRE.  I don't blame Craig to a certain extent.  Damn, I'd prolly be thinking the same thing.  15 grand entrance fee to hand out comment cards and send evites?  Uh, okay.  When the light bulb went on in Craig's head that he wasn't going to head up the Bourbon division because he knows EXACTLY ZERO about bourbon and was too damned lazy to educate himself on the minimum, Craig looked like he was physically going to start crying.  And why the heck was Naomi losing her shit?  Yeah, me also thinks she wrote out that check for Craig. 

After watching this show who would ever hire Craig as a legitimate attorney?

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 9
3 hours ago, Sage47 said:

Naomie will be sorry long term if she stays with Craig. Way too many red flags about his character.

Cameran seems really over being on this show. She is snippy about everything. She didn't want to go to coffee with Kathryn (fully understandable but I feel she would have in the first two seasons, regardless of Kathryn's volatile nature), was cranky at having to be at Shep's skating party and now Shep invites them to his cabin in NC and she makes a face and asks what they will do there.

Not sure if it is because her husband is telling her not to associate with these people/the show or her own feelings but she is definitely no longer into it. I am getting a similar vibe from Shep. He was so testy at his party.

That is interesting that Landon said the producers are taking the drama way down notches because there are children involved. I wonder if the rumors are true that Kathryn was sleeping around for drugs while pregnant the second time? If so she is a very sick individual. And does Thomas know for SURE that Julien is his son??

I think you nailed it with Naomi. You truly don't know a person for at least three to five years even living with them and I'm pretty sure Craig snowed her and her family with his trophies and paper accomplishments plus a law school run and big talk about the bar just like he did to all of us a year or two ago. Now the real Craig is starting to surface because all talk and no action doesn't get you very far. Naomi thinks she's marrying a lawyer to be and big businessman on the side, truth is Craig is just to meek and doesn't have big enough balls to play with the big boys. She'll be out of there very soon.

Cameron may be over the show, but I'm kind of over her too. The scene where she's doing yoga and fell over was it for me, so fake! Not cute anymore, I want to see her brains for a minute.

• Love 9
15 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

It never seemed like a partnership agreement and $15,000 isn't getting you more than a pittance share in either JDs hotel or a bourbon business that clearly was a lot larger than Craig even realized (it was also clearly more than a few months in the making and already had a partner their rep was clearly the one in charge of even this fake bourbon tasting.)

I'm no bourbon or whisky expert, but even I know that it takes years to start up, what with finding the right blend and properly aging in whatever wooden barrels one chooses, and about $1M cash.  And I know that from a 5 minute piece on Marketplace a few months ago, hence not a lot of effort.  So if the product is ready for tasting, JD has to be at least a couple of years in, unless he's buying from another distiller and slapping his label on it.

If Craig were any other person, he'd be in a great position to angle to become permanent in house counsel for J.D.  There's tons of laws on regulating liquor production and sales; he could study up on those.  There are also tons of laws surrounding the operation of hotels, restaurants, and construction.  He could essentially build his own specialty with both legal and hands on business experience.  I'd have killed for an opportunity like that at his age.  Craig seems too clueless to realize what he's got. 

• Love 12
(edited)

According to LinkedIn, Danni has worked for the Ben Arnold Beverage Company for about 10 years. She's held a bunch of different positions there, most as product managers.

Somehow Craig really believed he was in the running to be the bourbon division manager. He was utterly embarrassed when JD confronted him and told him otherwise. I suspect shenanigans - I believe JD and production led him to believe this off-camera just so they could knock him down on-camera. I think that's why he was so upset. Although I think he and Naomie are incredibly naive, I hate that they were publicly humiliated.

JD sure seemed to relish admonishing Craig publicly. I agree JD is slimy. I think he hitched his wagon to Thomas, and he and Elizabeth are using the show to advance their "brand." JD sucks up to Thomas with a frat boy bonhomie, exuding cockiness, while to me he's utterly craven. I don't buy Elizabeth's sainted demeanor toward Kathryn either - she's playing a role.

According to LinkedIn, JD has been in real estate for 10 years. Before that he was in medical sales, and he went to college in Colorado.

Edited by pasdetrois
  • Love 10
(edited)

Oh, was I cringing when JD offered Danni a VP position in his bourbon division and Danni made her stank-face.  Did Craig overhear JD making the offer to Danni or did Craig hear it for the first time with the rest of us during this week's episode?   Yikes.  I hope not.

Edited by beesknees
  • Love 3