Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E24: Paʻa ka ʻīpuka i ka ʻupena nananana (The Entrance is Stopped with a Spider's Web)

• Start Topic

Are we absolutely sure Gabriel is really most sincerely dead?  Did Chin see the body?  Witness the burial/cremation after making sure Gabe's body was in the coffin?  Go back to the cemetery the next day to make sure the coffin wasn't dug up?

If Gabriel really is dead, does that make Michelle Shioma (sp?) the new Big Bad?

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Mittengirl said:

Are we absolutely sure Gabriel is really most sincerely dead?  Did Chin see the body?  Witness the burial/cremation after making sure Gabe's body was in the coffin?  Go back to the cemetery the next day to make sure the coffin wasn't dug up?

If Gabriel really is dead, does that make Michelle Shioma (sp?) the new Big Bad?

Don't forget about salting the earth. 

• Love 3

That was a good action sequence episode. 

I don't know if I really believe Gabriel's dead when they didn't show it. Gabriel's resourceful, he could have easily paid off who he needed to so he could run. Hopefully we do see him again because I like his character.

Loved Gabriel and Chin scenes and him wanting to look after his daughter because at the end of it all they are still family. 

• Love 2

Well, about 30 new positions available at Dial-A-Mook. I think they even joked about it during the endless gunfight. I guess this is payback for the LA police station massacre in The Terminator. Seriously, have cops on TV ever gunned down so many people in an hour?

There is one SWAT team on the island and they can be taken out by two spike strips? Their vehicles don't have self-inflating tires? And for a SWAT team they sure lacked special weapons in that gunfight on the road. As a famous philosopher once said "sure would be nice if we had some grenades, don'tcha think?!?!"

Bullshit on the dispatcher at HPD being a bad guy. I did ten years of dispatching (not for the police but still). You don't have a side project going without every other dispatcher knowing about it immediately. Paying attention to what is going on around you and being situationally aware isn't just a part of the job, it is the goddamn job! However, kudos to the writers for not making Abby's old boss one of the bad guys. I really thought they were going there.

Was it just me or did certain characters teleport in this episode? Abby is being held hostage by the bad guys but shows up to the SWAT ambush. Grover is ambushed but shows up where 5-0 is trying to hold out. Meanwhile, even though every single cop on the island should have been there (did the single dispatcher tell them McDonalds was out of chicken nuggets hence the flood of 911 calls?!) the only people who show up are hero characters.

As mentioned above, I'm not writing Gabriel off until a body shows up.

• Love 2

Having Gabriel taken out by a methhead, after all his power, and money, and connections, is pretty damn funny. And yes, that was entirely a setup for Michelle Shioma to be the new bad guy. Who will now be after 5-0 for thwarting her from killing Gabriel personally. Wash, rinse, repeat. She really ought to be on the most wanted list for the CIA and Interpol too but they'll just ignore that.

• Love 1
(edited)
10 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

"When the San Francisco treat rode up on her motorcycle shooting her gun, that had to be the funniest scene ever."

Before she rode up on the motorcycle, Abby had a gun pointed at her head by a Yakusa who was ordered to kill her.  Did I miss the explanation of how she managed to escape?  I thought for sure that meant she was the leak.

Not showing Gabriel dying on screen not only allows for speculation all summer about whether he is really dead, but why spoil a good dramatic moment by telling us he died off screen?  Gabriel is, after all, the fellow who survived a fall from a building onto a car, but managed to somehow escape.

Edited by buckboard
  • Love 1

Abby riding up on the motorcycle to save Grover at the last minute was the most ridiculous thing this show has ever done. They really needed the Mighty Mouse, "Here I come to save the daaaayyy ..." music over that.

The producers of the original Five-O show used it in part to promote tourism. Good thing that's not a goal now. Who would want to visit a place where there are killer drones and vengeful nerds wearing indestructible suits or 1000 yakuza interrupting your dim sum with machine gunfire?

Ingo Rademacher looks like he hasn't slept in a year.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 5/14/2016 at 3:54 AM, SweetTooth said:

Oy. So, let me get this straight. They give Gabriel a soul and have him more do more than sneer,and he dies, and female Gabriel, who's even more annoying, takes over? I have to hear her voice next season? Did the show want me to miss Gabriel?

When the San Francisco treat rode up on her motorcycle shooting her gun, that had to be the funniest scene ever.

One thing I will say for the show. They made the junkies look like actual junkies. They didn't just put some dirt smudges on them. So, that worked.

The loving caress the camera did of Chin's chest was appreciated.

I couldn't love you more.

As ridic as this ep was, it sure was enjoyable. I'm trying very hard to overlook the obvious time jumps and insanity. It just was fun. Do we know if Shioma-fat has a husband? Or just an invisible one? Hard to take your two little girls on the run.

Do all Yakuza hitmen shop at Chess King?

Edited by betsyboo
On ‎5‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 11:59 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

Having Gabriel taken out by a methhead, after all his power, and money, and connections, is pretty damn funny. And yes, that was entirely a setup for Michelle Shioma to be the new bad guy. Who will now be after 5-0 for thwarting her from killing Gabriel personally. Wash, rinse, repeat. She really ought to be on the most wanted list for the CIA and Interpol too but they'll just ignore that.

I was hoping she would have him killed in the ambulance - the same way he killed her father. Of course, once I realized Chin was in the ambulance, I was glad she didn't.

Somehow bare chest with running water doesn't work for me when there's a healing bullet wound. Picky, I guess. Also, for the first time, I thought DDK looked closer to his age (facially, anyway).

Lots of bullets. Lots and lots of bullets. I'm so tired of bullets.

Also, the traditional Danny/Steve argument was poorly placed - the middle of a shoot out with limited options, it just bugged.

• Love 1
(edited)

Here's a great idea. Let me order a murder over the phone! And then I'll say it some more. I did like the concept of trapping them and hunting them down.

Honestly, Gabriel isn't worth the effort. We're talking about Steve, who shot someone in the leg in a hospital, being all like, "you're going to jail!" Shoot him and walk away from it. 

On 5/14/2016 at 1:54 AM, SweetTooth said:

When the San Francisco treat rode up on her motorcycle shooting her gun, that had to be the funniest scene ever.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. It should have been a BAMF scene, but she's such a joke.

I get that everyone loves the Danny/Steve banter, but this really wasn't the place for it.

Not particularly smart to declare war on Five-0 though. Eventually they're just going to shoot her.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 1

It's not like there aren't other good female actors. On their own show, Grace Park could have pulled it off. I mean, you're casting for an action adventure show, you should make sure they can handle the physicality of it. 

He was totally whining. I'm surprised the actor didn't push back against that. Danny is smart enough to know they were out of options. They had the tactical advantage of pinning the guys in the doorway, but not the ammo to maintain. The only other option was down.

"Looks like El Chapo designed her bathroom." *That* was appropriate for the show. 

I do not believe for a second that Gabriel is dead. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, ganesh said:

Backfired? It was like a banana in the tailpipe.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! ah, this provided a much needed giggle. I am now replaying "We're not gonna fall for the banana in a tailpipe." "Dude. You been hanging out with this guy too long." over and over!!  "The supercop story - was working! You guys just went and messed up a perfectly good lie." 

Some parts of the episode were really ridiculous, but overall I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I have been very critical of Jerry Garcia all season long, but he was actually used in this episode in a very useful way.  But nothing is ever going to make me like San Francisco Police Lady.  I really really thought that we were going to lose her.  I was so hoping she would die.  Gabriella Wo Fat's goons were about to kill her, and the next time we see her, she just saunters up to Grover and says "hey what's up".  Aaargh.  Why can't she ride off into the sunset with blonde Australian handler guy?

I don't think Gabriel Wainwright is dead either... and next season is likely going to be a season long battle of Gabriel Wainwright vs. Gabriella Wo Fat.  I'm not sure who I find more irritating.  Unfortunately I think I would probably have to side with Gabriel.  I thought he was annoying, but then along comes the flinty voiced and overly smug Gabriella.  Aargh.

Where is Gabriella going to run with two under-10 year old kids?  I feel bad for the kids.

On 5/14/2016 at 9:38 PM, Mittengirl said:

This.  Who isn't to say that Gabriel didn't bribe the doctor to whisk him off to recover to twirl his moustache another day at some private clinic all while telling the 5-0 gang that he was dead?  Seriously, with all their Can't.  Kill.  Wo.  Fat.  experiences, you'd think they'd want to go poke the body a few times to make sure.

"San Francisco Treat" indeed.  That and Not!Darla are inspired.  I wish they didn't just have her appearing magically wherever needed, and showed her going from point A to point B.  Once again, I don't necessarily mind having these extra tagalong characters helping the core four, I just want them to be well written tagalong characters.  You know.  Like Lou (though he's got some holes in his backstory that need filling), Max, Kamekona, or our dearly departed Jenna Kaye.  Lori and Catherine were written horribly, and mostly as afterthoughts.  Rachel as well as Doris were getting all complex there for a while, but the writers seem to have thrown in the towel on both of them. 

However, whoever wrote or improvised the "El Chapo" line is a genius.  I snort-laughed.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, blackwing said:

Some parts of the episode were really ridiculous, but overall I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.  I have been very critical of Jerry Garcia all season long, but he was actually used in this episode in a very useful way.  But nothing is ever going to make me like San Francisco Police Lady.  I really really thought that we were going to lose her.  I was so hoping she would die.  Gabriella Wo Fat's goons were about to kill her, and the next time we see her, she just saunters up to Grover and says "hey what's up".  Aaargh.  Why can't she ride off into the sunset with blonde Australian handler guy?

@SweetTooth has renamed her San Francisco Treat, which i find DELIGHTFUL. And hilarious. 

18 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

FLATTERER! I think San Francisco Treat goes well with Jerry Garcia. 

@blackwing if you click the last link in the media thread, you might be pleasantly surprised...I know I was.

Very interesting and welcomed news!  So it sounds like next season will have a new main villain, and it's not going to be Gabriella Wo Fat.  He mentioned her almost as an afterthought.  Could be either Wo Fat Sr or.... Doris?