Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E23: At Last

• Start Topic

I think it boils down to Meredith and Nathan, as Ellen already hinted in an interview. One wants to confuse us with Maggie and Alex, we should think that what is happening between Maggie and Nathan, and just as the Meredith and Alex closer.

Spoiler

(edited)
6 hours ago, Maukie99 said:

I think it boils down to Meredith and Nathan, as Ellen already hinted in an interview. One wants to confuse us with Maggie and Alex, we should think that what is happening between Maggie and Nathan, and just as the Meredith and Alex closer.

Reveal hidden contents

Yes, it seems this is the strategy but I fear the possible Nathan/Meredith hook up will be lame. I do not trust the writers. Stacy Mckee who wrote this episode is one of my least favourite Greys writers. I would hope this might be something meaningful if it were written by William Harper, who has some sophisticated style of narration and character development, he wrote episode 12 where the storyline between Meredith and Nathan was somehow mature, decent and believable.

Edited by NathanRiggsfan
1 hour ago, NathanRiggsfan said:

Yes, it seems this is the strategy but I fear the possible Nathan/Meredith hook up will be lame. I do not trust the writers. Stacy Mckee who wrote this episode is one of my least favourite Greys writers. I would hope this might be something meaningful if it were written by William Harper, who has some sophisticated style of narration and character development, he wrote episode 12 where the storyline between Meredith and Nathan was somehow mature, decent and believable.

Yes but I do think that it will be Meredith and Nathan. We should all believe that it will be Maggie Riggs and that they come together or just about to kiss, but we need to think a little further. I mean Meredith again have a date, and that is definitely not Thorpe said that Ellen really clear, just as they said clearly that we know who it could be, with whom she has a date. Honestly I can think of only Nathan and Alex and Alex it should not appear to be. Who should it be otherwise? De Luca?

Maybe  the hook up is with Callie lol It seems like in every Calzona centric episode lately that Meredith and Callie are the ones who get closer…(1009, 1105, 1222). Perhaps they are the real endgame haha

• Love 1
(edited)

Meredith and Callie? No So Meredith is not a lesbian even if it has then always aroused the impression with Cristina. Callie will come again in the future with Arizona together and Meredith is coming together with Alex and Nathan.

Edited by Maukie99
22 hours ago, Maukie99 said:

Yes but I do think that it will be Meredith and Nathan. We should all believe that it will be Maggie Riggs and that they come together or just about to kiss, but we need to think a little further. I mean Meredith again have a date, and that is definitely not Thorpe said that Ellen really clear, just as they said clearly that we know who it could be, with whom she has a date. Honestly I can think of only Nathan and Alex and Alex it should not appear to be. Who should it be otherwise? De Luca?

Yes, all points to Nathan.

So I fall really only Nathan and Alex a. And when Alex told Ellen that he will not be. Or Shonda conjures a stranger out of the hat. Or Finn returns, the veterinarian. O.o

(edited)

Oh. well. Okay. Mere and Riggs. Sure. 
Cali/Arizona, whatever. Owen/Amelia whatever. Bailey/Warren whatever. 

I volunteer as tribute to marry Alex. I will not have a husband, pee on the floor, be psycho, have sex with a ghost, or have you propose twice before telling you no, Alex. I will love you and marry you and have your babies. 

Edited by Daisy
  • Love 13
(edited)

I wouldn't wish Meredith on anyone at this point -- not even Owen, my least favorite character. The woman is seriously deranged.

ETA: Mer did make me laugh when Penny hugged her. How  entertaining that the only person she didn't bite the head off of in this episode was Penny. 

Edited by Gladrags
  • Love 11
(edited)

How far away is that gallery from the OR that Jo had to run down stairs and through three or four hallways during her Super-Dramatic Running montage?

"Just because you're unhappy doesn't give you the right to make everyone else unhappy." Go Alex. At least someone finally said it!

Slow clap to Arizona for telling Callie where to stuff it. Has Callie even apologized for what happened at the trial? I can't imagine it's been very long since trial and already Callie wants favors? And, hey, it woud be nice if Callie showed half as much consideration for her daughter and Arizona than she did for reasoning out her breakup with Penny.

Meredith needs to stop taking out all her bad feelings on other people. And WTF was that at the end with Riggs?

It's too bad I never felt anything for Stephanie and Kyle's blink-and-you-miss-it romance.

Oh, and April is suddenly full term next week despite looking no more than four or five months this week?

Edited by LexieLily
  • Love 17

I just can't with Meredith.

This is the one time I wish this show was on premium cable. Amelia should've told Meredith to fuck off. Is Amelia supposed to continue to be a shadow of Derek? Is she not allowed to move on with Owen? Owen and Cristina are divorced. Derek is dead. Jesus, way to shake Amelia's confidence before surgery. I'm glad Riggs and Alex read her about her bitchery.

The world doesn't stop moving just because you're sad and lonely, Meredith.

I don't care for Stephanie's tears. She broke up with Kyle over bullshit. Now she's just salty because she lost time with him due to her own stupidity.

• Love 15

Wow! Both Ben and Bailey are real pieces of work. I hate the "they have to admit I'm right and then kiss my ass." Then you have Meredith making everyone feel horrible before major events. I didn't find the moment with Penny funny, I was saying: "Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out." Penny has been such a big disaster of story lines since the death of Derek. The makes people make dumb decisions where ever she goes and then she goes: "Why does my life suck?" As for Alex at the end. Man, poor guy, but at the same time, he deserve an answer. Its either yes or no and if Jo doesn't want that, then Alex has wasted his time. 

• Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Daisy said:

Oh. well. Okay. Mere and Riggs. Sure. 
Cali/Arizona, whatever. Owen/Amelia whatever. Bailey/Warren whatever. 

I volunteer as tribute to marry Alex. I will not have a husband, pee on the floor, be psycho, have sex with a ghost, or have you propose twice before telling you no, Alex. I will love you and marry you and have your babies. 

My God! There would have to be literally 500 normal women in Seattle that would love to date a handsome pediatric surgeon and not one of them can ever show up in this fucking hospital (I assume they would have to come to the hospital because God forbid someone uses Tindr or Match.com). 

Whatever he does, Alex should not call Nash's mom. Knowing this show, she's another illegitimate child of one of Meredith's parents. 

ETA: Nevermind. Nash's mom is totally Owen's missing sister. It would be ridiculous for Meredith to have three half siblings show up at this hospital. 

Edited by CookieChica
  • Love 4
(edited)

So what will Jo's reasoning be for saying no?  Why can't she?

Meredith, my god, will she ever just shut the fuck up?!   What an immature way to start off that relationship with Riggs.  Oh, well, he can clearly see what he's getting into, so whatever.  Just, please, can they act like grown-ups at least some of the time?

Edited by izabella
  • Love 6

I'm glad Alex was finally Alex and gave Meredith a reality check. I dislike Amelia, but good grief Meredith.

So it was Perfect Penny hour all season for this? Whatever, hopefully she's gone for good.

Heh at Callie asking to switch days after Arizona switching days was made into a big deal at the trial.

Amelia proposing in response to Meredith's bitchery bodes so well.

I figured Meredith/Riggs were coming but that was weird.

• Love 4

In an episode full of predictability (Kyle dying, check. Proposals for Alex/Jo and Owen/Amelia, check. Meredith hooking up with Nathan, check), Alex won this episode for me. I also liked at the end when Richard was noticing all of the broken relationship around him and then his wife shows up to his surprise. It really drove home for me how miserable it is to have most of the relationship broken in some way. It's just not fun anymore. 

Are we really free of Penny? Is this the last time we ever have to put up with her sucking up screen time? I did not feel bad for her, and even after all of Meredith's Penny praise throughout the season, it's funny that she didn't even want to hug her. 

I know Meredith essentially gave Owen the trailer, but I wish he would have at least seen if maybe Meredith still wanted it or something. How sad that all of these pieces of Derek are falling away, but at least the scrub cap is still around. 

Arizona was pretty harsh on Callie, but it is a little hard to feel bad for Callie when put them in this situation. She held no regard to Arizona or her feelings when she wanted to limit Arizona's time with Sofia by moving across the country, so now she has to deal with the consequence of her Penny inspired actions. The best decision she's made all season was breaking up with Penny. Now I hope that after some time has passed, Arizona and Callie can mend their fractured relationship. For Sofia if anything else. But it goes without saying that, especially after the Callie/Penny debacle, I would prefer Callie and Arizona together than going through failed chemistry tests with anyone else. Besides, when given the opportunity, those two have been good together. 

I actually don't mind Nathan Riggs, but I can't seem to care about whatever is going to happen between him and Meredith. 

And where has Andrew Deluca been? You mean to tell me that he, who has been added on full time, can miss three or four episodes but that Penny had to be in every. single. one since she first showed up? Blah. 

• Love 5

I know that Callie has made some big mistakes, but Arizona didn't exactly cover herself in glory. The whole situation gives me a  Treaty of Versailles kind of feeling and that didn't work out so well for anyone. This custody storyline has been absurd and mishandled from the beginning. Arizona needs to go a lot easier on Callie, because the situation could easily change in the near future. It's all about the best interests of the child. Callie could absolutely get back some measure of custody in the near future. She could get full physical custody. It's best not to have rage blackouts and publicly humiliate the other parent. While I get it, because Callie essentially slapped AZ in the face, I just think acting like the Romans at Carthage is never a good idea in custody matters. I didn't see AZ finally telling Callie about herself, I saw someone kicking a woman while she was down. Callie didn't even have the heart to defend herself. They clearly need to be one of those ex-couples that only communicate through emails.

I can't believe that all this drama came from Penny. She reminds me of Anne from Arrested Development. Just so incredibly bland that you could forget she was there right after she left the room.

I just do not care about Meredith and the hate sex she is having with Martin Henderson. Not into that at all.

I knew Fez was going to die. Classic Greys.

What is Jo's game? She seemed so dedicated to Alex. She must have some ten year plan for when she feels ready to get married and have a family. Or she was never interested in those things at all, in which case she should have told Alex a lot earlier.

• Love 4

Wow.  I felt absolutely nothing with Stephanie and her poor tragic loss.  Can she leave now?  Just can't stand her.  Forcing herself on the case, compromising Jo's career by coercing her to spill the details, barging in and talking over Amelia in front of the family.  And then the death glare at Amelia.  I hope she verbally attacks Amelia and is fired.  Good riddance.  Take your bestie with you, please.

Kyle's family was extremely irritating to me.  The sister self-righteously bitching that her brother has broken many hearts, and then ........  Didn't listen anymore.  So it's okay when your brother does it, huh? 

Jo was so emotional while rejecting Alex that I thought she was going to confess that she's seeing someone else.

Why can't Amelia and Owen just live together, or try just being boyfriend/girlfriend?  Why the constant rush down the aisle?

I felt for Ben for about a second when he proclaimed Bailey was the love of his life.  Then I realized they deserve each other.

I was horrified that Meredith was lancing a tonsillar abscess right there in front of the friend and the rest of the ER.  She was trusting that he would hold still while she had a scalpel down his throat.  And I can't believe the kid felt as good as he did while his chest was being devoured by necrotizing fasciitis.  The whole story was creepy, including the mother's sudden need to make out with the driver's ed teacher.

I love Meredith, but at this point it really feels like she's deliberately sabotaging Amelia.  Just when they get comfortable with each other again, Meredith lashes out and eviscerates her.  It's a toxic relationship and doesn't seem to have much hope.  I'm not an Amelia fan, but this woman is helping raise your kids, Meredith.

Was Meredith supposed to be staring at Derek's old parking spot?  Which of course was symbolically taken by Riggs?

I was glad for Richard's sake that Catherine was there for him.  But why hasn't Catherine had any fallout from her manipulations with fetus Avery?

• Love 6

I can't feel sorry for Callie because if she had won she'd be in NY just now with their daughter and Arizona would be seeing Sofia a hell of a lot less than Callie is now.

I seen a tweet by Shonda saying that the end of this ep was something no one would see coming, she's joking, right?! Mer and Riggs hooking up was known by basically everyone the moment Martin Henderson was cast.

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, GreysFan89 said:

I can't feel sorry for Callie because if she had won she'd be in NY just now with their daughter and Arizona would be seeing Sofia a hell of a lot less than Callie is now.

I seen a tweet by Shonda saying that the end of this ep was something no one would see coming, she's joking, right?! Mer and Riggs hooking up was known by basically everyone the moment Martin Henderson was cast.

I also couldn't feel for Callie.  A long distance relationship with Penny sounded so difficult that she couldn't handle it, so she ended it.  But it was fine expecting Sofia and Arizona to maintain their relationship that way.

And Shonda's tweet is about as stupid and the promo about jaws dropping at the shocking scene of Meredith's ONS asking her on a date.  Do they even watch this show?

• Love 12
(edited)

Gosh this was the MOST predictable episode ever.  The only good thing for me was almost everyone had something meaningful to do.  I find myself bored with almost all the stroylines.  I thought Meredith's dark and twisty-ness being set off by Owen selling the trailer was actually good and believable but then they lost with the "get your own life" crap between Mer and Amelia.

Callie/Arizona- I didn;t comment last week because I hadn't watched until today but I kind of don't get this custody arrangement?  So since Callie isn't going to NY they still have joint/shared  custody?  Going back to last week, I didn't get why they were both acting like they would never see Sofia again??  This custody thing is just another story with good potential and poor execution.  

Ben/Bailey....zzzzz

Amelia/Owen....good god i was expecting a wedding but even getting here has been silly and painful and truthfully ridiculous

Mer/Riggs...shocking!!!!!!  lol not at all.  I'm going to guess he is going to fall in love with her (S13) and she just wants mindless sex.  

The only thing I find myself interested in is Jo's secret and why she is saying no.  But I fear a huge retcon coming.  Also, why didn't she just say no months ago??

Edited by Greysaddict
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, candall said:

Jo's already married.  Put your money down.

I believe it. It's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe she got married during the hectic portion of her life when she was living in her car and struggling...

How long have they been together? Didn't he ask her to marry him a year ago? Or something like that? 

• Love 2
(edited)
9 minutes ago, candall said:

I thought the same thing!

It was sad when Fez died, but damn Stephanie.  When the patient, his family, and the freaking doctors are telling you to leave, you have to leave.  Not just railroad over them.

Saw the Mere/Riggs thing coming from a mile away.  Yawn.  She's mean and he's boring.

Edited by Amethyst
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, candall said:

That was my bet with the people I was watching. She said "I can't" and then said a hard "no", but I can't was first. 

The thing is, the guy who plays Riggs had off the charts with Mer, Amelia, and Maggie, so I figured when one of the those three was going to hook up with him.  And the show has been pushing Owen and Amelia..for like two years at this point for a reason I can't define. Like, do it or don't, but seriously..I stopped caring back in October with this. 

Stephanie is the worst. I was sad about Wilmer though but once again, I knew this was going to happen by his 2nd scene tonight. 

Callie and Arizona, I don't feel for Callie. At all. I mean.. I just..what did she think was going to come out of this? Like from the jump. Her "I'm not going to NY without Sophia and you are" to Penny speaks volumes to me about what she really thought was going to go down. Even before the court hearing, I said in those episodes she really thought AZ was just going to let this happen without compliant. And she never once considered the possibility of losing. So, yeah. It is hard for me to see her side. Sorry, I just can't. 

• Love 10

Amelia and Owen deciding to get married, followed by Meredith suddenly going for it with Riggs, has me more convinced than ever that Megan is going to bust in on the wedding.  It's all set up for maximum chaos at this exact moment.

Oh Grey's, shame on you for thinking you could fool us with your silly Maggie/Riggs fake-out.

I might actually believe Alex and Jo were really splitzville if this had happened next week.

I guess the resurrection of Callie's likeability started tonight with Arizona acting like a smug asshole in every scene.  Arizona's justified in acting that way, sure, but her characterization this week was in stark contrast to the saintly portrayal last week.  

• Love 1

So Jo reserved an OR for Amelia. She announced that it was time for Kyle to go to the OR. And she was dispatched to the gallery when it was clear the surgery was failing. 

Is she an orderly now? Nurse? Girl Friday?

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, Starscream said:

Amelia and Owen deciding to get married, followed by Meredith suddenly going for it with Riggs, has me more convinced than ever that Megan is going to bust in on the wedding.  It's all set up for maximum chaos at this exact moment.

Oh Grey's, shame on you for thinking you could fool us with your silly Maggie/Riggs fake-out.

I might actually believe Alex and Jo were really splitzville if this had happened next week.

I guess the resurrection of Callie's likeability started tonight with Arizona acting like a smug asshole in every scene.  Arizona's justified in acting that way, sure, but her characterization this week was in stark contrast to the saintly portrayal last week.  

Arizona was more restraint than I would have been. It's not like she should have been "Oh, hey, remember when you tried to take my daughter away by portraying me as a bad mother and a slut in court? Well, let's just pretend that never happened." And like Black Knight said last week, how can she even trust Callie? Callie tried to make it seem like Arizona was neglectful so how can she know that if she let's Callie take Sofia whenever she wants, Callie wont use that as proof Arizona can't handle having Sofia and take her back to court. 

• Love 15
9 minutes ago, SoapDoc said:

I believe it. It's the only thing that makes sense. Maybe she got married during the hectic portion of her life when she was living in her car and struggling...

How long have they been together? Didn't he ask her to marry him a year ago? Or something like that? 

They got together in the S9 finale and Alex first proposed in S10. With the time jump after Derek's death it should be close to four years.

I could see Jo being married but if so it doesn't make sense she told Alex to keep the ring in the drawer unless she's secretly been trying to get divorced or something.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, mojito said:

So Jo reserved an OR for Amelia. She announced that it was time for Kyle to go to the OR. And she was dispatched to the gallery when it was clear the surgery was failing. 

Is she an orderly now? Nurse? Girl Friday?

Seriously. Third year resident Penny wins a grant that typically goes to fifth years, and fifth year resident Jo is running errands. That's messed up. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, Evie said:

I could see Jo being married but if so it doesn't make sense she told Alex to keep the ring in the drawer unless she's secretly been trying to get divorced or something

Perhaps she married someone that she has to find now to get divorced. It still doesn't make sense because she could have made that happen by now if it's been 4 years.

Otherwise, what could be happening that she hadn't dealt with over 4 years?

• Love 1

I saw nothing wrong with the way Arizona handled Callie. Arizona was accomodating the FIRST time Callie came around asking to switch days that had already been scheduled.  Then she has the nerve to come BACK and ask to have Sofia THAT night as well?  Callie has ALWAYS been pretty selfish and Im glad Arizona nipped it in the bud because Callie would no doubt try to take advantage it worse use the whole thing in court against Arizona.

• Love 15
53 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

It was sad when Fez died, but damn Stephanie.  When the patient, his family, and the freaking doctors are telling you to leave, you have to leave.  Not just railroad over them.

I really just did not understand what Stephanie was doing.  Was there some meaning to her behavior that I was supposed to understand?  I have no idea what this was about.

• Love 4
(edited)

Meredith, my god, will she ever just shut the fuck up?!

Unfortunately its not likely. I actually felt for her in the beginning of the episode when she found out Owen was getting rid of the trailer. I can easily see how that could bring up all sorts of emotions for her even. Its been years and years since it was Derek's trailer but its another piece of Derek she's watching fade away. However, all my feeling for her went out the window fast when she became her usual self centered shrew. 

Owen and Amelia rushing down the aisle is sure to cause problems at some point. They aren't my favorite pairing but I'm glad to see the story moving somewhere after years of them treading water.  I'm also happy Amelia will be moving out of that house. I like Amelia and I think its toxic for her to live with Meredith. I do feel bad that the kids are losing one of the caregivers. LOL, Maggie will have to step it up now and do double duty.

Arizona was more restraint than I would have been. It's not like she should have been "Oh, hey, remember when you tried to take my daughter away by portraying me as a bad mother and a slut in court? Well, let's just pretend that never happened."

Agree. Arizona may not have been happy about it but she accommodated Callie's request without drama, other than complaining a bit to her friend. Then Callie returns asking for more and it wasn't for something for Sofia, it was to make Callie feel better.

Seriously. Third year resident Penny wins a grant that typically goes to fifth years, and fifth year resident Jo is running errands. That's messed up.

Very true it would be great to see Jo get some more medical storylines. Shouldn't 5th year be getting solo surgeries? In fairness, hospital owner and department head surgeon Meredith was doing the work of an ER resident so no one (other than Penny) works up to their level half the time.

The only thing I find myself interested in is Jo's secret and why she is saying no.  But I fear a huge retcon coming.  Also, why didn't she just say no months ago??

I'm interested but I fear a retcon too. Logically I can't think of anything that shouldn't have come up during all these years they've been together. 

Meredith and Riggs was so predictable. Everyone knew it was coming at some point. Shame, I like Riggs but he'll be ruined if he's with Meredith. Oh well at least Alex may be freed up if she's off screwing Riggs. 

Bye, bye Penny.

Edited by windsprints
  • Love 3

Jo being married before is a good guess. Maybe that's why she refused to date anyone else in the hospital in season 9? Either way I'm sure we will receive an episode during season 13 explaining all of this with the flashbacks.

• Love 1

Oh look, 42 seconds into Callie’s screentime and she blames Penny. Good to see she has taken the time to look inwardly, self-assess, and take personal responsibility for what happened. Hahahahaha, of course she hasn’t.

And then Callie breaks up with Penny, because she loved her enough to uproot her daughter from her entire life in Seattle, take her away from her other mother, but she doesn’t love her enough to even try to do long-distance for one year. I mean, I agree Callie can’t do it, as another poster said last week she would start complaining about missing sex and not having fun the second Penny got on the plane, but really. It’s okay to inconvenience Sofia and Arizona - as if “inconvenience” is even close to what she wanted to do to them - but god forbid she put herself out in the slightest way. And thanks for confirming once and for all, Callie, that Arizona was right that you’d already decided to take Sofia and had never really intended to talk about “all the possibilities.” In any case, congratulations, Penny, on your lucky escape from Callie. Penny is so much better off. Did she even realize how much she was accommodating Callie (transferring to Seattle Grace, being willing to postpone her fellowship, being willing to be the one to fly back and forth all the time) and how Callie didn't try at all? Penny's last scene with Meredith feels a bit fast to me if that's really her exit, but whatever - I do hope that's it for Penny on the show.

Arizona is a much better person than I am, because if Callie had asked me to swap nights because she has a surgery, I would have said something like, “Oh, you’re choosing work over your child? You’re shirking your parental duties?  And leaving your child with someone who’s an unfit mother? Can you send me this request as a text message, so I can preserve it as evidence to present in court later?” She finally told Callie off later, but even then in a much nicer way than I would have. 

“I already moved things around - for you.” “I know and that’s why I thought you would be okay with letting me-“ Yup, that’s Callie in a nutshell, give her an inch and she goes for the mile, and good for Arizona for calling her on it (as Penny failed to do) and setting some limits. I’d like to think that maybe now Callie will actually do some self-reflection, but I’m not optimistic. Especially since the writers had to leave things open enough to be able to write her off the show early next season if necessary.

Amelia/Owen - blergh. Whatever will Meredith do without half her childcare? I actually don't entirely mind Meredith/Riggs, in themselves, but Owen's complaining will probably be unbearable.

• Love 12

- Please don't actually let Amelia marry Owen. I don't care if it's at the altar, let her come to her senses before it's too late.

- Speaking of Amelia, Meredith needs to sort out whatever issues she has with her. It's becoming stupid now.

- Arizona is still a much better person than me. I wouldn't have been as nice the first time Callie asked and that put down has been coming for a long, long time. It's time you actually face the consequences of your impulsive actions Callie.

- I have never liked Penny but going to New York is probably the best thing she could do for herself.

- Count me in as another who thinks Jo is already married.

- Ben & Bailey are ridiculous and quite frankly, boring now.

- Poor Fez. I was hoping he would make it.

• Love 4
39 minutes ago, windsprints said:

Agree. Arizona may not have been happy about it but she accommodated Callie's request without drama, other than complaining a bit to her friend. Then Callie returns asking for more and it wasn't for something for Sofia, it was to make Callie feel better.

That struck me, too. It was all about Callie, not about Sofia. And as usual she's absolutely terrible at reading anything less subtle than a sledgehammer, because someone with even an iota of intuition would have recognized that Arizona was fake-smiling the first time, and that maybe, just maybe, she shouldn't push things too much right now with the woman she just got done calling a slut, a bad parent, and not really Sofia's mother in court. It kind of confirms what I was theorizing last week, Callie went scorched earth on Arizona because she really didn't think it would do anything to their relationship. She thought Arizona would just get over it. Maybe that got bolstered by the fact that when Arizona had her chance in court, she refused to take potshots at Callie, but at least Arizona's spelled it out for her now: Callie has used up all of her grace. Since my own supply of grace would've run out about halfway through the cross-examination of Webber, I don't fault Arizona in the slightest. She should be civil to Callie - which she was, the first time - but Callie shouldn't push it, either, and expect Arizona to be a complete doormat.

And something else I noticed is that Arizona expressed her hatred of the entire situation. She's not at all gloating that she has sole physical custody and Callie only gets visitation (and probably has to pay AZ child support now - which amuses me though I'm sure it doesn't her). All she ever really wanted was the joint parenting arrangement that they had - it was amicable, and flexible enough to work well with both of their work schedules. But Callie ruined it. Even though Arizona didn't say it, every time Callie asks to swap nights, she has to be thinking about how that was used against her in court, and she probably doesn't dare ask to swap nights herself anymore. The trust is gone.

• Love 16
5 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

Did she even realize how much she was accommodating Callie (transferring to Seattle Grace, being willing to postpone her fellowship, being willing to be the one to fly back and forth all the time) and how Callie didn't try at all? 

IA, that's why I felt bad for Penny at the end.  She has as much personality as a wet dishrag, but she's willing to put in the work for her relationship, and Callie has pretty much called it quits.  Being that expendable can't feel good for Penny.  If she is leaving, I hope she finds happiness elsewhere in NY.

And I couldn't blame Arizona, either.  Whether she realized it or not, Callie was doing the same crap that Arizona had been accused of at the trial, so she really can't complain.

• Love 2

It sounds tedious, but if I were Arizona I would start keeping a detailed log regarding Sofia's care.  What days/hours were switched, why, and at whose request.  

I also would seek a nanny versus Callie for hospital emergencies.   The only problem is some custody arrangements require giving the other parent first option of child care before using a sitter. 

• Love 5
(edited)

Okay, so no real surprises, but I thought it was a good set-up episode for the finale.

Of course Callie blamed Penny for the mess, of course.  I thought everything Arizona did vis a vis Callie was just about as much (if not a lot more) as someone in her shoes could do given the ordeal she was put through by Callie--I mean seriously, asking Arizona to change scheduled dates for who has the kid after trying to paint her as an unfit mother for doing so and for working too much.

Since we weren't shown the actual ruling in the case, I'm assuming it went something like this:  "Sole custody in this case, assuming one mother moves to NY and the other mother stays in the child's current hometown, goes to the mother remaining in Seattle as that would be in the best interests of the child.  However, I have heard nothing in this case that deems either mother unfit, so that child custody shall remain as previously agreed assuming both mothers continue to reside in Seattle".  Which I think, without all of the hoops and dramatics the show went through, is essentially the right result.

Meredith made me laugh a couple of times (running away from dealing with the crazy parents; her reaction when Penny hugged her). But then made me crazy with her crazy.  Pretty much par for the run of the show with Meredith.

As for Penny, if this is her last episode, I thought there could have been a much better final scene with Meredith.  I've never really bought they they would interact like they have in this episode.  I would have preferred it actually go back full circle to the episode last season when they talked outside the hospital after Derek died.  Penny there was apologizing for failing, Meredith yelled at her to be better, don't waste my husband's life, get better and save many more.  I would have liked her exit with Meredith to go back to that:  "I promised you that night to get better.  Thank you for helping me do that.  I promise to continue to do that going forward".  That makes more sense to me than how they made Meredith be there for weepy Penny.

And finally, we all know that someday, maybe not next episode, but some day, Meredith is going to be with Riggs and in walks his "dead" wife and "so, you are the woman sleeping with my husband" is going to be uttered again, right?

ETA:  I meant mention I loved Alex's line that he and Jo had been together "a million years".  Hell, even they don't know how long Alex/Jo have been together given all the time jumps!  As someone said above, fourish years sounds right.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 3
(edited)
22 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

It sounds tedious, but if I were Arizona I would start keeping a detailed log regarding Sofia's care.  What days/hours were switched, why, and at whose request.  

I also would seek a nanny versus Callie for hospital emergencies.   The only problem is some custody arrangements require giving the other parent first option of child care before using a sitter. 

I doubt there's a "first option" in this new custody arrangement because Callie was supposed to be living across the country, and even though she's not now, that was the situation at the time the judge made her ruling. But if I were Arizona I'd worry that getting a babysitter would be used against me, too. Arizona is really stuck right now - can't ask Callie to swap nights, because that has already been used against her, can't get a babysitter because that could be used against her too. Of course Callie uses Meredith's House of Babysitters, so it really shouldn't be an issue, but Callie proved that she's capable of selectively using information. Callie also asked to swap nights, Callie is also a working mom, yet somehow only Arizona was bad. So as you say, tedious as it is, Arizona really should keep a detailed log going forward.

Which once again shows how badly Callie ruined everything. They had a great arrangement, and now, even though Callie is staying in Seattle, they can't just go back to it. Not until Callie earns some trust back with Arizona, which at her current rate of self-introspection isn't going to happen quickly. One of the biggest problems in my view is that this custody battle ended up reminding Arizona of all the things she most hated about being with Callie - the selfish obliviousness to Arizona's point of view, the angry reaction upon learning Arizona wouldn't just roll over, trying to get her way by fighting dirty and browbeating and trying to make Arizona feel like a bad person for disagreeing with her. Callie can't just claim that this was uncharacteristic for her - it was only the ugliest manifestation of some traits she's always had - and even if she gives a big speech now acknowledging these issues and promising to change, Arizona can't take that at face value when she knows this is a longstanding pattern of behavior.

Since we weren't shown the actual ruling in the case, I'm assuming it went something like this:  "Sole custody in this case, assuming one mother moves to NY and the other mother stays in the child's current hometown, goes to the mother remaining in Seattle as that would be in the best interests of the child.  However, I have heard nothing in this case that deems either mother unfit, so that child custody shall remain as previously agreed assuming both mothers continue to reside in Seattle". 

We heard enough of it: "I hereby grant sole physical custody of Sofia Robbins Sloan Torres to..." Plus, Callie would not have been sobbing afterwards the way she was otherwise, Mere wouldn't have been looking devastated, etc. Sofia lives with Arizona, Callie gets visitation. That visitation includes sleepovers, but she wouldn't be getting the 50/50 split of time that she was previously.

Callie can always go back to court and ask for the custody arrangement to be modified back to joint physical custody, but she'll have to wait a little while for it to be taken seriously - as a dim view would be taken of Callie trying to modify the custody arrangement again so soon, and, the family courts are really backlogged. I have multiple friends going through custody/divorce issues and the process takes quite a while.

Edited by Black Knight
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

Jo was so emotional while rejecting Alex that I thought she was going to confess that she's seeing someone else.

I thought she was going to confess that she was already married- some sham marriage when she was 18 and poor in order to get some kind of benefit. But she hasn't seen the guy since- you get the idea.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, TVForever said:

I thought she was going to confess that she was already married- some sham marriage when she was 18 and poor in order to get some kind of benefit. But she hasn't seen the guy since- you get the idea.

That's what I think too. There's more going on there, with how upset she was. If she really wants to wait before getting married, it's called.. having a long engagement. It's not like Jo and Alex haven't been together long, they've said I Love You's and they've been living together for at least a year or two now. There is more going on with this than just she isn't ready. I don't think she's opposed to marriage at all either, she did tell Alex to wait on it when he asked the second time. It really has to be she's already married but it was a paper marriage or something or I don't know. Maybe she cheated on him recently. That seems kind of out of character but then again, she hardly gets screentime, I don't know much about her.

• Love 1

This episode (and surely the finale based on what we have seen so far in promos) frustrated me when it came to Owen and Amelia. For the most part, I really like Amelia (except when the writers have her off the wagon or spouting some long, drawn out, narcissistic Shondalogue), but I could never get behind the coupling between her and Owen. It certainly doesn't help that I don't particularly like the character of Owen, and feel like Amelia could do better. I can't see why this show is pushing this relationship, when they are so completely lacking in chemistry. It is just so unbelievable for me to see this play out. I can only hope something happens next week to bust up this wedding.

As for Meredith and Nathan, I can't say I am surprised, because this has been hinted about ever since he was cast, but I honestly would have preferred him to hook up with Maggie. But whatever.

And I am deeply curious why Jo turned Alex down. I don't particularly care, since I have never been a Jolex fan (though I like both characters individually, Alex more than Jo of course). I'm sure we will get some sort of explanation, but hopefully they will either break up permanently or move forward somehow in a committed relationship. 

And I dearly hope to never see Penny again. I found her character to be exceedingly boring and don't need any more of her. 

• Love 1