Type keyword(s) to search

Grimm Plot Holes

(edited)

Hello!

I started this new thread as a way of tracking all of the s1 - current season's plot holes that just make me crabby.  Feel free to add your own "plot holes" and maybe the show will wrap them up, maybe!

1) Where are the coins that Momma Grimm was planning on taking back to Greece?

2) What happened to the mole at the police station?

3) Is there a mole at HW that led BC to kill the people meeting Chavez and Nick?

4) Is there a mole at HW that led BC to kill the two Resistance members guarding the bratty snowflake?

5) Momma Grimm told Nick that she had regrets and to hold onto the people that we love, and yet she bullied him into helping her snag Diana away from Adalind.

6) What is the difference between Hexenbiest and Zauberbiest besides their private parts?  Yes, Renard is strong when he woges, but so what?  Adalind beat the crap out of the guy under the bridge.

7) What happened to Juliette's vet practice?

8) Is it really possible for a vet not to have their own pet(s)?  I never once saw Juliette even talk about having a pet at some point in her life.

9) Diana was powerful as a baby, so why didn't she force Kelly to drive her to where Adalind was staying at the hotel?!

10) Diana set on the floor of Nick's home and asked Juliette her Momma's whereabouts and did NOTHING to stop the woman from being killed.  If this child is that powerful, why didn't she sense the dangerous situation BEFORE they got out of Kelly's car?!

11) Adalind's powers were suppressed in s4 and yet she has them again?!

12) Why was there never a conversation between Nick and the Captain about being able to contact Kelly via e-mail?!

13) Why was there never a conversation between Nick and the Captain about what happened with Juliette taking the child to the helicopter?

14) What's up with all of the dead bodies at the end of s4 and Chavez's death at the beginning of s5 and no fallout?

15) What's up with Nick being able to hear from long distances at the end of s4 (helicopter) and not when it is really needed?

16) Hank is being grilled by Zuri about his "Grimm" partner and he does not relay the conversation to Nick, especially now that Wu was attacked by a BC man he arrested years ago?!

17) Speaking of Hank and Wu, is there a reason Monroe and Rosalie have yet to figure out that Tony is probably BC along with the man Wu killed and Zuri?!

18) Is there a reason the Captain did not do a back ground check on the folks working in Dixon's campaign?!

Edited by Darklazr
  • Love 1

I'm not sure I would consider anything having to do with Hadrian's Wall/Black Claw a plot hole...yet.  I mean, I'd wait until May 21st before officially giving them that title!

My additions:

19) Remember the sheriff who turned into the Mishipeshu....is she still running around in the woods?

20) Did the Portland PD ever catch Thomas Schirach?  Do they think Thomas Schirach is responsible for the death of Nick's neighbors?

21) Two words: Zombie Nick

22) Exactly how many keys were there?  Seven or Nine?  If it was seven, how did Nick (or the guy who had the trunk) get the keys from the Royals?

23) What happened to the Dragon Girl that Nick thought died, but actually walked out of the inferno?

24) What happened to Juliette's parents and all her friends so that NO ONE seems to care that she supposedly died?

25) Remember that magical contract Adalind signed and then broke?  Wasn't that supposed to be binding?

26) Holly Clark...wasn't Monroe going to be part of her life after they got her out of the woods?

27) Who is Diana's father?

28) Who is Kelly's father?

29) Who is Kelly's mother?

30) What is Meisner supposed to be?

31) What did Meisner do to piss of the royals enough that they killed his girlfriend (wife?) and child?

32) What about that psychic connection Nick and Adalind had after she raped him?  If it was broken when Juliette played her part, shouldn't she have a psychic connection with one of them?

33) If Rosalee was a basically a juvenile delinquent and junkie, how does she know all she needs to know to be apothecary?

I'm sure there is more, but I need to go drive my kids to swim lessons....

34) Why did Adalind's father leave the home while she was child?

35) How did Juliette get her hands on the Hexenbiest book and hat?

36) Renard said his great-grandfather was burned at the stake and yet he does not have any powers?

37) Renard's mother said he paid a fortune for his condo and his reply was that she had a fortune, so where did Elisabeth's La Scheles money come from?

38) Did Kelly Burkhardt have a job, home, life, new spouse, etc.. while Nick was being raised by Marie?

39) Where are Nick's non work and non wesen related friends?

40) Where are the wesen cops at the precinct and why don't they ever interact with Nick?

(edited)

41) How could Juliette read the Hexenbiest book, which was written in German?

42) What "powers" does a Grimm have, besides being able to see Wesen?

43) Is there only one Krampus or are there a bunch of messed up people who black out every December?

44) Where do people park when they go to the Spice Shop because, believe me, parking is pretty sparse in the Pearl!

45) Whatever happened to Farley Kolt?  They said they thought he might have been killed by the Dragon's Tongue, but they had no proof of that.

46) What happened to Josh?

47) What happened to Juliette's fuchsbau college roommate?

48) How did Monroe know who Aunt Marie was?  (episode 1)

49) The guy who had the trunk also had that "directory" of Grimms.  How would he have that information?  Is there a Grimm Network we (and Nick) do not know about?  Do they take a census?

50) Exactly how did Adalind's 2nd pregnancy work because, given the timeline of the show and operating on the assumption that Nick is the father (which is a plot hole in itself), it took Nick's swimmers about 8 months to reach their destination, and then Adalind was pregnant for about 3-4 months.

51) The snake people in Hibernaculum...why were they coming to Portland to hibernate?  Wouldn't Phoenix be a better choice?  Or Austin...Austin is just as weird as Portland....

Edited by OtterMommy

When they dug up Adalind's mom's body to make the hat bong potion for Juliette last season, they specifically mentioned the reason hexies don't use that spell on the reg is because there aren't any hexie dead bodies to use in making it. Like they were joking around but specifically Adalind said her mom was the last dead hexie body. So how did JuliEve make another hat bong potion? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Lii said:

When they dug up Adalind's mom's body to make the hat bong potion for Juliette last season, they specifically mentioned the reason hexies don't use that spell on the reg is because there aren't any hexie dead bodies to use in making it. Like they were joking around but specifically Adalind said her mom was the last dead hexie body. So how did JuliEve make another hat bong potion? 

Numbering that one #52...just to keep count!  

I don't remember them saying about the dead bodies, but they could have--I'm don't care enough to go check, so I'll take your word on it.  I do remember that Adalind said the body couldn't be "fresh" (when Nick clearly hinted that his solution would be to kill Adalind and use her body.  THAT I would have supported!)

The overly analytic lunatic in me wants to categorize all of these by sub-type, but I'll try to resist and just cite examples ;-)     What I mean is . . .

A. Some of these are truly problematic plot holes, which I'll define as outright contradictions or plot points that just don't make any sense -- for example, # 50 (Adalind's pregnancy timeline with Kelly).

B. Some of these are dangling threads that could theoretically be picked up, but probably won't be. For example, # 1 (the coins). It would be all kinds of awesome if we saw Bonaparte pull one of the coins out of his pocket, indicating that Black Claw got them off Kelly upon her death, and perhaps explaining the precipitious rise of Black Claw. But it could simply be that she hid them somewhere and now she's dead, so we'll never see them again. Category B can overlap with category A when a dropped plot thread really should be having an ongoing effect on current story events (# 21 Zombie Nick!).

C. Some of these can be answered by plausible speculation. For example, #31 -- Meisner was in the Resistance against the Royals. Perhaps his father (I assume you meant 'father' not 'child') was Resistance also. His girlfriend was tortured, so that indicates that either the Royals wanted information from her (maybe she was Resistance too), or they were using her to punish Meisner -- he does seem to bump them off rather regularly, after all. While I would love more backstory for him, I wouldn't necessarily expect it.

D. Sometimes the most plausible speculation is "these characters are idiots". Really, at this point, the fact that someone doesn't have a conversation conveying extremely important information to someone else amounts to a character trait. A really, really annoying character trait!

Any other categories?

By the way, I love it that you guys numbered the list for easier reference!

• Love 1
(edited)
40 minutes ago, tpel said:

The overly analytic lunatic in me wants to categorize all of these by sub-type, but I'll try to resist and just cite examples ;-)     What I mean is . . .

I actually like the idea of categorizing these.  The next time a wave of procrastination hits, I may take a stab at it.

C. Some of these can be answered by plausible speculation. For example, #31 -- Meisner was in the Resistance against the Royals. Perhaps his father (I assume you meant 'father' not 'child') was Resistance also. His girlfriend was tortured, so that indicates that either the Royals wanted information from her (maybe she was Resistance too), or they were using her to punish Meisner -- he does seem to bump them off rather regularly, after all. While I would love more backstory for him, I wouldn't necessarily expect it.

No, I meant child.  Didn't he tell Adalind is season 2 or 3 that the Royals killed his girlfriend or wife and their child?  I mean, they could have killed his father too...

Any other categories?

I would probably include one for flat-out contradictions.  Where the show says one thing, then says another counter to it in a later episode, such as when Grimms get their power.  Monroe said one thing at the beginning of season 1, and Kelly said something else at the beginning of season 2.  Or, by extension, where they don't say something and then say they said it (I'm thinking about the temporary effect of Adalind's suppression potion.  That was never mentioned in season 4. In fact, the way Adalind talked about it, it sounded permanent.  Then, in season 5, it is casually mentioned that it is, in fact, temporary and everyone seemed to know that....)

ETA: Just noticed you covered contradictions under A.  Personally, I'd separate contradictions from complete nonsense, but that's just me (who would really like to make a point that, in 7 post, we already have 50+ plot holes.  SHOW!  ARE YOU READING THIS???)

Edited by OtterMommy

I like the idea of putting flat-out contradictions in a separate category -- we can bump that to "E". 

36 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

No, I meant child.  Didn't he tell Adalind is season 2 or 3 that the Royals killed his girlfriend or wife and their child?  I mean, they could have killed his father too...

How did I miss the bit about Meisner and his girlfriend having a child who died? Does anyone know which episode told us this? I mean, that totally adds another layer to his becoming somewhat attached to Diana. All I remember is Adalind asking him if he "had someone" and him replying that he used to but that the Royals killed her "and not quickly". With regard to his father, he mentions this directly to Renard when they are at the sewer-adjacent hiding place early in season 3. Meisner removes a plank from the steps, so that incoming goons would fall down them. He notes that it was a trick his father taught him before he was killed by the Royals.

54 minutes ago, tpel said:

How did I miss the bit about Meisner and his girlfriend having a child who died? Does anyone know which episode told us this? I mean, that totally adds another layer to his becoming somewhat attached to Diana. All I remember is Adalind asking him if he "had someone" and him replying that he used to but that the Royals killed her "and not quickly". With regard to his father, he mentions this directly to Renard when they are at the sewer-adjacent hiding place early in season 3. Meisner removes a plank from the steps, so that incoming goons would fall down them. He notes that it was a trick his father taught him before he was killed by the Royals.

If I remember correctly (which I may not be) it was said at one point during their run through the forest after Diana was born.

I didn't know about Meisner's father....because, well, I'm not watching the show right now.  Despite the fact that we are already up to 53 plot holes, I still want to watch this show.  Unfortunately, I just can't until a certain situation is remedied.

(edited)

54) Adalind and Renard were both seen by various police officers working that day with a baby wrapped in a blanket at the precinct in 2014, so how in the hell are they going to explain her rapid growth into a ten year old?  Did that particular baby "die" and they already had one child "Diana" living with her grandmother?

55) Was Renard involved with Adalind over an eleven year span which would explain them having a child, because he still wears a wedding band and we no absolutely nothing about his previous life/wife.

56) In s2, Renard had a hookup at the hotel with an old flame, Mia, and they talked about their past connection and role in his life going forward.  Are we suppose to believe that Renard and Mia were together sometime within the timeframe in which he graduated high school and went off to college.

57) Renard killed his cousin and the man's body guard in s1 and yet the show has never addressed the Captain's life after fleeing Europe at age 13.

58) How was Marie able to be a Grimm and raise Nick without anyone being the wiser, especially with that old trailer full of books and weapons?!

Edited by Darklazr
9 minutes ago, Darklazr said:

58) How was Marie able to be a Grimm and raise Nick without anyone being the wiser, especially with that old trailer full of books and weapons?!

Adding onto this one....Nick said that he and Marie "moved around a lot" when he was growing up.  He also said that Marie was a librarian.  As someone who used to work in a library, I can assure you that librarians do not "move around a lot."  How would Nick or the show or whoever explain this?

(edited)

59) Nick's Grimm mother was not able to raise her son, but his Grimm Aunt had no issues at all?!

60) Adalind was still in love with Renard and she never tried to trap him before with a baby, so losing her powers and getting pregnant makes no sense at all.

2 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

Adding onto this one....Nick said that he and Marie "moved around a lot" when he was growing up.  He also said that Marie was a librarian.  As someone who used to work in a library, I can assure you that librarians do not "move around a lot."  How would Nick or the show or whoever explain this?

I worked at the library during HS and College and no darn well that the people employed did NOT move around year after year.  I would have believed the insurance money from Kelly and Reed's death was used by a stay at home Marie until Nick graduated from HS six years later.

Edited by Darklazr

Okay, so going back to @tpel's categories, we have:

A - NONSENSE (things that just don't make sense)

B - DANGLERS (plot lines or devices that were just dropped)

C - PPE (Possible Plausible Explanations - they could explain these, but haven't or won't)

D - STUPIDITY (Characters act in stupid or "out of character" ways

E - CONTRADICTIONS (Things that were contradicted in the course of the show)

I'm also going to add

F - FUTURE PLOT HOLES (These are things that are part of a currently active plot, like Black Claw/Hadrian's Wall, that look destined to become a plot hole)

Anything else?

• Love 2

61) Where is all of the money that Adalind made from working for Eric and Viktor starting in s2 up to s4?  

62) How was Adalind able to break her apartment lease at the end of s1 and sell her car without any penalties before leaving for Vienna?

63) I don't remember seeing any scenes of Renard having sex with Catherine?!  So, how did Adalind know her mother hit it with her boyfriend?

64) Why wasn't it a big deal that Adalind slept with Hank while she was in a relationship with Renard?  Yes, Adalind was after the keys, but she deliberately had sex with Hank!  

65) Renard whored Adalind out to Hank and she never blinked an eye, and he never seemed the least bit jealous of the entire situation.

66) Kelly and Marie were Grimms at the same time growing up, so why wouldn't Nick have become a Grimm at some point?!

67) We're suppose to believe a long time Grimm like Kelly would have never called Nick, Hank, Monroe, Rosalie, or Renard on the phone to find out what kind of danger her son was in?!  

68) Nick warned his mother that the Royal's were in Portland looking for Diana and she shows up at his house based on an email from Juliette?!  Really, show?  

69) After growing up in Portland and working at the wesen law firm, we're suppose to believe Adalind has no friends but the Scooby gang?

70) Renard stated he's been a police officer for twenty-two years and yet he has no personal friends outside of a BSC ex (Adalind) and Andrew Dixon who is now dead?!  What happened to Renard's wife?  Is she dead or alive?

71)  Monroe!  Is it his first or last name?

72)  Where is Magique?  I hope that she's still roaming around Portland.

73)  The Magic Stick.  What is its history?  What can it do?  Can I use it to summon a Patronus?

74)  What happened to Renard's mom?  Where's she hiding?

75)  Lots and lots of Royal families still around.  What have they been doing?  Is one of the Royal families from Japan?  Do they still want to kill Renard? 

76)  Bring back the Reapers!

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Darklazr said:

63) I don't remember seeing any scenes of Renard having sex with Catherine?!  So, how did Adalind know her mother hit it with her boyfriend?

They just said that Renard had been sleeping with Catherine and Adalind knew it.  

64) Why wasn't it a big deal that Adalind slept with Hank while she was in a relationship with Renard?  Yes, Adalind was after the keys, but she deliberately had sex with Hank!  

Adalind didn't deliberately have sex with Hank.  Adalind raped Hank.  "Having sex" implies that Hank was capable of consent, which he was not.

67) We're suppose to believe a long time Grimm like Kelly would have never called Nick, Hank, Monroe, Rosalie, or Renard on the phone to find out what kind of danger her son was in?!  

68) Nick warned his mother that the Royal's were in Portland looking for Diana and she shows up at his house based on an email from Juliette?!  Really, show?  

These two, together, are so crazy.  All Juliette said was, "Nick's in danger" and Kelly just comes running.  She doesn't say what kind of danger he's in and Kelly never thinks to, you know, check with her son....  ugh!

2 hours ago, spaulding said:

Roadkill.  When she tried to attack Rosalee, Rosalee got her out the door where Magique had an encounter with a Subaru Forester.*

75)  Lots and lots of Royal families still around.  What have they been doing?  Is one of the Royal families from Japan?  Do they still want to kill Renard?

And WHY is there a Japanese Royal family?  Weren't the Royals descended from the Princes who ruled during the crusades?  I may only have a degree in medieval history, but I'm pretty sure that the Emperors of Japan didn't send Christian knights to Jerusalem... 

**To be fair, I have no proof that Magique was killed by a Subaru Forester.  This is, however, Portland and everyone here drives Subarus (or a Prius)

* When Trubel came rushing back into town on the motorcycle and crashed into Nick's new factory house, why was she in a hurry and got hurt? Had she visited the Portland HW headquarters? What was the nature of her working under Martin Meisner as her manager, but also not understanding everything underway, such as his mind-control technique with Juliette

*How did Kelly Burkhardt finance her travels. Are Grimms naturally into law enforcement, or are they a type of wesen who will steal if necessary to reach a greater goal.

* The royals lost power in WW One. Why was this - did this lose a magical power? They do have blue blood. What's the power or point of being a royal if they no longer are monarchs over anything.

*How do the goals of the resistance compare with more traditional political parties. Do they merely work to keep the royals out of power?

* How do the royals keep recruiting hundjaegers to give up their lives as guards, with such loyalty. Is the ability to manipulate wesen to do their bidding the secret weapon of royalty?

*Are black claw misguided because they seem to have authoritarian or fascist tendencies of lining up behind strong leaders and wanting to seize control of society, or are they a wesen liberation organization? What will they do with political power in Portland?

5 minutes ago, ottilie said:

77) When Trubel came rushing back into town on the motorcycle and crashed into Nick's new factory house, why was she in a hurry and got hurt? Had she visited the Portland HW headquarters? What was the nature of her working under Martin Meisner as her manager, but also not understanding everything underway, such as his mind-control technique with Juliette

78) How did Kelly Burkhardt finance her travels. Are Grimms naturally into law enforcement, or are they a type of wesen who will steal if necessary to reach a greater goal.

79) The royals lost power in WW One. Why was this - did this lose a magical power? They do have blue blood. What's the power or point of being a royal if they no longer are monarchs over anything.

80) How do the goals of the resistance compare with more traditional political parties. Do they merely work to keep the royals out of power?

81) How do the royals keep recruiting hundjaegers to give up their lives as guards, with such loyalty. Is the ability to manipulate wesen to do their bidding the secret weapon of royalty?

82) Are black claw misguided because they seem to have authoritarian or fascist tendencies of lining up behind strong leaders and wanting to seize control of society, or are they a wesen liberation organization? What will they do with political power in Portland?

Just numbering....

For #79, I'm assuming that it ties in with the fall of the Hapsburgs.  It sounds like the "Royals" were principalities and those were pretty much done with by the end of the first World War.  But then...Japan....

83) Ties in with #80, but what is The Resistance resisting?

84) Black Claw--why Portland?

(edited)
11 hours ago, OtterMommy said:
14 hours ago, spaulding said:

Roadkill.  When she tried to attack Rosalee, Rosalee got her out the door where Magique had an encounter with a Subaru Forester.*

Magique is fine. Fine, I tell you! The Subaru Forester is roadkill.   ;-)

Adalind didn't deliberately have sex with Hank.  Adalind raped Hank.  "Having sex" implies that Hank was capable of consent, which he was not.

I didn't read # 64 as denying that it was rape, unless we assume that the phrase "had sex with" implies that there must have been mutual consent. I get why we might want to reserve this phrase for something consensual, but I think it is commonly used for both with and without true consent (e.g., "The middle school teacher had sex with two of her students. She's in prison now, for statutory rape.")  In any case, # 64 is focusing on the supposed betrayal of Renard, rather than the crime against Hank. I think the answer to this question is that Adalind is a bit of a ho, and Renard's "relationship" with her was about mutual benefit, not love or loyalty. 

I think the short answer is, "The Royals." But that just raises the question of "Why?" Which depends on . . .

86. What is the Royals' endgame? This is related to # 79. Obviously, they want power, but power over what? Just over wesen, like a shadow monarchy operating separate from regular-world political systems? Or are they trying to re-establish some kind of political power over wesen and humans alike?

Edited by tpel
5 hours ago, tpel said:

I didn't read # 64 as denying that it was rape, unless we assume that the phrase "had sex with" implies that there must have been mutual consent. I get why we might want to reserve this phrase for something consensual, but I think it is commonly used for both with and without true consent (e.g., "The middle school teacher had sex with two of her students. She's in prison now, for statutory rape.")  In any case, # 64 is focusing on the supposed betrayal of Renard, rather than the crime against Hank. I think the answer to this question is that Adalind is a bit of a ho, and Renard's "relationship" with her was about mutual benefit, not love or loyalty. 

I'm going to put on my over-reacting hat here!  I, personally, draw a pretty strong line between "sex" and "rape" and I will admit that I probably replied a bit too strongly to @Darklazr's post (though it was not directed at @Darklazr directly, more at the show--as if anyone from the show reads this...).  I think the case of Adalind and Hank is actually a very straightforward case of rape--she "drugged" him, taking away his ability to consent, and had sex with him--unlike the case of Nick and Adalind (which WAS rape, it was just a more complicated scenario).  But, yeah, Adalind is a ho and, frankly, I don't think Renard gave a fig about what she did to Hank.

Of course ,this leads me to 2 more plot holes.  I do think we need at least one more category, G - GSC (General Show Crappiness  Just a case where something was handled very badly by the show and, because they never bothered to address it or remedy it, it hangs around their neck...)

87) Why does this show keep approaching the topic of sexual assault when they have only once ever handled it appropriately?  (That one time would have been the episode dealing with military rape).  I mean, I would think they would learn to stay clear of anything close to sexual assault, but NOOOOO....they just keep going there.

Also....

88) Why has everyone forgiven Adalind for every damn thing she's done?  Let's take Nick out of the picture here...she raped Hank, and yet Hank is strangely okay with her.  She (albeit inadvertently) causes all sorts of crazy crap to happen to Wu, yet he is also strangely okay with her.  Monroe and Rosalee witnessed first hand not only everything that Adalind did to Nick, but also what happened to Hank and Wu, and they are all fine with it...  Of course, add Nick and what she did to him back into the equation and, well, if this were a book, I would have chucked it through the window long ago.***

**No, I have never broken a window with a book.  The only time I tried, the book bounced off.  I did once throw a book hard enough against a wall to knock down a clock, though....  Let's just take I put a very high value on quality story telling.....

• Love 1

Regarding #64, Adalind raped Hank because she drugged him and took away his ability to say no.

Regarding #88, I think the writers knew they wanted to keep CC and the only way to make Adalind work was to have Hank, Wu, Monroe, Rosalie and Nick all okie dokie with the character, which is lazy BS writing, IMO.  The Scooby Gang should have all been disgusted and chewed Adalind out for her previous crimes and not be oh so willing to just let her in on their little group.  Juliette used to be a Scooby Gang member and Nick, Hank, Wu, Monroe and Rosalie all KNOW how that turned out!

Regarding #63, I sort of got the impression during s1 scenes where Catherine is trying to slide her hand up the inside of Renard's pant leg that those two used to have history back in the day and still thought it was nasty as hell that they had implied sex per Adalind when she met Eric in Vienna.  Hexenbiests are known for their manipulations and it sounds like Catherine was no mother of the year! 

14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

85) How did T. Rubel *find* Nick's Fortress of Paint Cans?

Trubel found Nick by using the GPS on her motorcycle to track his cell phone when she showed him her cool new toy.

When Renard met with the Resistance it sounded like the Royal's were gearing up to once again be the end all and be all for their citizens based on the conflicts going on in the world.  

The Dragon's Tongue mark on the back of the guy that Kelly knocked out in Nick's home was working for the Japanese Royal family and then we had Mia who just came from Japan and had sex with Renard while trying to make sure Monroe was no longer working with the Grimm.  Okay, yes, there are lots of Royal plot holes on this show!

Well, there is a whole other thread devoted to General Show Crappiness -- the "Everything Wrong with Grimm" thread . . .  But it is true that sometimes general crappiness can become a plot hole. For instance, I wouldn't construe a character -- say, Adalind -- consistently making bad decisions as a plot hole. That's just who she is. And when one other character reacts inexplicably toward her -- say, Nick -- well, he has a history of oddly passive behavior that predates the current situation, so maybe he's just poorly written. But when nearly everybody reacts, or fails to react, in ways that can only be explained by some kind of collective amnesia, yet no amnesia-producing factor is present . . . yeah, plot hole.

• Love 1

Wow, Darklazr, what a great idea for a thread! You're all so damn good that I can't think of anything to add just yet. Except, that I do wonder if the writers ever read this forum? We are up to #88, and I'm quite sure that the writers' heads would be exploding before they reached the first 10. 

Then they would have to hire new writers...which may not be such a bad thing...

On May 6, 2016 at 5:31 PM, spaulding said:

73)  The Magic Stick.  What is its history?  What can it do?  Can I use it to summon a Patronus?

#73 made me laugh at loud! And #76...makes me so so sad, because I miss the Reapers very much! 

Oh oh oh..I have one,.i think (Darklazr or Ottermommy please correct me if its a repeat, as I can't remember everything I've read)

#89 Whatver happened to La Llorona? Did she move on to other places, kidnapping and drowning other children?

#90 Where oh where is Alexander? 

#91 Any explanation ever about what Sebastian was? Just a Royal lackey who was a spy for Renard, or was he Wesen?

14 minutes ago, neuromom said:

Oh oh oh..I have one,.i think (Darklazr or Ottermommy please correct me if its a repeat, as I can't remember everything I've read)

#89 Whatver happened to La Llorona? Did she move on to other places, kidnapping and drowning other children?

#90 Where oh where is Alexander? 

#91 Any explanation ever about what Sebastian was? Just a Royal lackey who was a spy for Renard, or was he Wesen?

No worries, those are new ones!  Now I'm wondering how many more posts it will take to hit 100!

92) What was the cause of Viktor's sterility and why did everyone (well, Kenneth) know about it?

93) Kenneth was supposed to be a distant cousin of the same Royal family, but no one (Kenneth or Sean) actually knew who he was.  I find that hard to believe since Royalty is big on genealogy.

94) Why can Hexenbiests, unlike any other wesen, be made and unmade? Or....are Hexenbiests actually wesen?

95) Elizabeth said that the hat bong was ancient and part of the (insert latin name here).  However, we also know that it was Adalind's mother's hat, and Catherine was about as ineffectual as Adalind...so how did SHE get it?

37 minutes ago, tpel said:

Well, there is a whole other thread devoted to General Show Crappiness -- the "Everything Wrong with Grimm" thread . . .  But it is true that sometimes general crappiness can become a plot hole. For instance, I wouldn't construe a character -- say, Adalind -- consistently making bad decisions as a plot hole. That's just who she is. And when one other character reacts inexplicably toward her -- say, Nick -- well, he has a history of oddly passive behavior that predates the current situation, so maybe he's just poorly written. But when nearly everybody reacts, or fails to react, in ways that can only be explained by some kind of collective amnesia, yet no amnesia-producing factor is present . . . yeah, plot hole.

Yes, this is true and #87 probably better fits in the everything wrong thread, but it does really bother me that this show has consistently failed at dealing with sexual matters (not just sexual assault...besides, I'm not sure this show would recognize sexual assault....), yet they JUST KEEP GOING THERE! 

(edited)

So basically there needs to be an additional category for Shit That Is Just Plain Offensive To The Intelligence Of The Viewing Audience, Thank You Very Much. Or, you know, some abbreviation thereof, whatever.

Edited by Lii
  • Love 1

To be filed under flat-out contradictions

96) In season 2, Rosalee's mother calls (or maybe writes?) to tell her that her aunt was sick (had a stroke, I think)?  In season 3, Rosalee says she hasn't spoken to her mother in years.

(edited)

Just consolidating....(and adding one or two at the end...)

1) Where are the coins that Momma Grimm was planning on taking back to Greece?

2) What happened to the mole at the police station?

3) Is there a mole at HW that led BC to kill the people meeting Chavez and Nick?

4) Is there a mole at HW that led BC to kill the two Resistance members guarding the bratty snowflake?

5) Momma Grimm told Nick that she had regrets and to hold onto the people that we love, and yet she bullied him into helping her snag Diana away from Adalind.

6) What is the difference between Hexenbiest and Zauberbiest besides their private parts?  Yes, Renard is strong when he woges, but so what?  Adalind beat the crap out of the guy under the bridge.

7) What happened to Juliette's vet practice?

8) Is it really possible for a vet not to have their own pet(s)?  I never once saw Juliette even talk about having a pet at some point in her life.

9) Diana was powerful as a baby, so why didn't she force Kelly to drive her to where Adalind was staying at the hotel?!

10) Diana set on the floor of Nick's home and asked Juliette her Momma's whereabouts and did NOTHING to stop the woman from being killed.  If this child is that powerful, why didn't she sense the dangerous situation BEFORE they got out of Kelly's car?!

11) Adalind's powers were suppressed in s4 and yet she has them again?!

12) Why was there never a conversation between Nick and the Captain about being able to contact Kelly via e-mail?!

13) Why was there never a conversation between Nick and the Captain about what happened with Juliette taking the child to the helicopter?

14) What's up with all of the dead bodies at the end of s4 and Chavez's death at the beginning of s5 and no fallout?

15) What's up with Nick being able to hear from long distances at the end of s4 (helicopter) and not when it is really needed?

16) Hank is being grilled by Zuri about his "Grimm" partner and he does not relay the conversation to Nick, especially now that Wu was attacked by a BC man he arrested years ago?!

17) Speaking of Hank and Wu, is there a reason Monroe and Rosalie have yet to figure out that Tony is probably BC along with the man Wu killed and Zuri?!

18) Is there a reason the Captain did not do a back ground check on the folks working in Dixon's campaign?!

19) Remember the sheriff who turned into the Mishipeshu....is she still running around in the woods?

20) Did the Portland PD ever catch Thomas Schirach?  Do they think Thomas Schirach is responsible for the death of Nick's neighbors?

21) Two words: Zombie Nick

22) Exactly how many keys were there?  Seven or Nine?  If it was seven, how did Nick (or the guy who had the trunk) get the keys from the Royals?

23) What happened to the Dragon Girl that Nick thought died, but actually walked out of the inferno?

24) What happened to Juliette's parents and all her friends so that NO ONE seems to care that she supposedly died?

25) Remember that magical contract Adalind signed and then broke?  Wasn't that supposed to be binding?

26) Holly Clark...wasn't Monroe going to be part of her life after they got her out of the woods?

27) Who is Diana's father?

28) Who is Kelly's father?

29) Who is Kelly's mother?

30) What is Meisner supposed to be?

31) What did Meisner do to piss of the royals enough that they killed his girlfriend (wife?) and child?

32) What about that psychic connection Nick and Adalind had after she raped him?  If it was broken when Juliette played her part, shouldn't she have a psychic connection with one of them?

33) If Rosalee was a basically a juvenile delinquent and junkie, how does she know all she needs to know to be apothecary?

34) Why did Adalind's father leave the home while she was child?

35) How did Juliette get her hands on the Hexenbiest book and hat?

36) Renard said his great-grandfather was burned at the stake and yet he does not have any powers?

37) Renard's mother said he paid a fortune for his condo and his reply was that she had a fortune, so where did Elisabeth's La Scheles money come from?

38) Did Kelly Burkhardt have a job, home, life, new spouse, etc.. while Nick was being raised by Marie?

39) Where are Nick's non work and non wesen related friends?

40) Where are the wesen cops at the precinct and why don't they ever interact with Nick?

41) How could Juliette read the Hexenbiest book, which was written in German?

42) What "powers" does a Grimm have, besides being able to see Wesen?

43) Is there only one Krampus or are there a bunch of messed up people who black out every December?

44) Where do people park when they go to the Spice Shop because, believe me, parking is pretty sparse in the Pearl!

45) Whatever happened to Farley Kolt?  They said they thought he might have been killed by the Dragon's Tongue, but they had no proof of that.

46) What happened to Josh?

47) What happened to Juliette's fuchsbau college roommate?

48) How did Monroe know who Aunt Marie was?  (episode 1)

49) The guy who had the trunk also had that "directory" of Grimms.  How would he have that information?  Is there a Grimm Network we (and Nick) do not know about?  Do they take a census?

50) Exactly how did Adalind's 2nd pregnancy work because, given the timeline of the show and operating on the assumption that Nick is the father (which is a plot hole in itself), it took Nick's swimmers about 8 months to reach their destination, and then Adalind was pregnant for about 3-4 months.

51) The snake people in Hibernaculum...why were they coming to Portland to hibernate?  Wouldn't Phoenix be a better choice?  Or Austin...Austin is just as weird as Portland....

52) When they dug up Adalind's mom's body to make the hat bong potion for Juliette last season, they specifically mentioned the reason hexies don't use that spell on the reg is because there aren't any hexie dead bodies to use in making it. Like they were joking around but specifically Adalind said her mom was the last dead hexie body. So how did JuliEve make another hat bong potion? 

53) - Diana's "ghost twin"!

54) Adalind and Renard were both seen by various police officers working that day with a baby wrapped in a blanket at the precinct in 2014, so how in the hell are they going to explain her rapid growth into a ten year old?  Did that particular baby "die" and they already had one child "Diana" living with her grandmother?

55) Was Renard involved with Adalind over an eleven year span which would explain them having a child, because he still wears a wedding band and we no absolutely nothing about his previous life/wife.

56) In s2, Renard had a hookup at the hotel with an old flame, Mia, and they talked about their past connection and role in his life going forward.  Are we suppose to believe that Renard and Mia were together sometime within the timeframe in which he graduated high school and went off to college.

57) Renard killed his cousin and the man's body guard in s1 and yet the show has never addressed the Captain's life after fleeing Europe at age 13.

59) Nick's Grimm mother was not able to raise her son, but his Grimm Aunt had no issues at all?!

60) Adalind was still in love with Renard and she never tried to trap him before with a baby, so losing her powers and getting pregnant makes no sense at all.

61) Where is all of the money that Adalind made from working for Eric and Viktor starting in s2 up to s4?  

62) How was Adalind able to break her apartment lease at the end of s1 and sell her car without any penalties before leaving for Vienna?

65) Renard whored Adalind out to Hank and she never blinked an eye, and he never seemed the least bit jealous of the entire situation.

66) Kelly and Marie were Grimms at the same time growing up, so why wouldn't Nick have become a Grimm at some point?!

69) After growing up in Portland and working at the wesen law firm, we're suppose to believe Adalind has no friends but the Scooby gang?

70) Renard stated he's been a police officer for twenty-two years and yet he has no personal friends outside of a BSC ex (Adalind) and Andrew Dixon who is now dead?!  What happened to Renard's wife?  Is she dead or alive?

77) When Trubel came rushing back into town on the motorcycle and crashed into Nick's new factory house, why was she in a hurry and got hurt? Had she visited the Portland HW headquarters? What was the nature of her working under Martin Meisner as her manager, but also not understanding everything underway, such as his mind-control technique with Juliette

78) How did Kelly Burkhardt finance her travels. Are Grimms naturally into law enforcement, or are they a type of wesen who will steal if necessary to reach a greater goal.

79) The royals lost power in WW One. Why was this - did this lose a magical power? They do have blue blood. What's the power or point of being a royal if they no longer are monarchs over anything.

80) How do the goals of the resistance compare with more traditional political parties. Do they merely work to keep the royals out of power?

81) How do the royals keep recruiting hundjaegers to give up their lives as guards, with such loyalty. Is the ability to manipulate wesen to do their bidding the secret weapon of royalty?

82) Are black claw misguided because they seem to have authoritarian or fascist tendencies of lining up behind strong leaders and wanting to seize control of society, or are they a wesen liberation organization? What will they do with political power in Portland?

84) Black Claw--why Portland?

86) What is the Royals' endgame? This is related to # 79. Obviously, they want power, but power over what? Just over wesen, like a shadow monarchy operating separate from regular-world political systems? Or are they trying to re-establish some kind of political power over wesen and humans alike?

87) Why does this show keep approaching the topic of sexual assault when they have only once ever handled it appropriately?  (That one time would have been the episode dealing with military rape).  I mean, I would think they would learn to stay clear of anything close to sexual assault, but NOOOOO....they just keep going there.

88) Why has everyone forgiven Adalind for every damn thing she's done?  Let's take Nick out of the picture here...she raped Hank, and yet Hank is strangely okay with her.  She (albeit inadvertently) causes all sorts of crazy crap to happen to Wu, yet he is also strangely okay with her.  Monroe and Rosalee witnessed first hand not only everything that Adalind did to Nick, but also what happened to Hank and Wu, and they are all fine with it...  Of course, add Nick and what she did to him back into the equation and, well, if this were a book, I would have chucked it through the window long ago.

89) Whatver happened to La Llorona? Did she move on to other places, kidnapping and drowning other children?

90) Where oh where is Alexander? 

91) Any explanation ever about what Sebastian was? Just a Royal lackey who was a spy for Renard, or was he Wesen?

92) What was the cause of Viktor's sterility and why did everyone (well, Kenneth) know about it?

93) Kenneth was supposed to be a distant cousin of the same Royal family, but no one (Kenneth or Sean) actually knew who he was.  I find that hard to believe since Royalty is big on genealogy.

94) Why can Hexenbiests, unlike any other wesen, be made and unmade? Or....are Hexenbiests actually wesen?

95) Elizabeth said that the hat bong was ancient and part of the (insert latin name here).  However, we also know that it was Adalind's mother's hat, and Catherine was about as ineffectual as Adalind...so how did SHE get it?

96) In season 2, Rosalee's mother calls (or maybe writes?) to tell her that her aunt was sick (had a stroke, I think)?  In season 3, Rosalee says she hasn't spoken to her mother in years.

97) How did Juliette get from the helicopter in North Plains to the house in NE Portland? And was she ever supposed to be on the helicopter?  There were only 4 seats and all 4 seats were taken (Meisner, co-pilot, the King, and Diana).

98) Are we supposed to just accept that Diana is about 11 years old or is she really 2-3 years old and is, in fact, rapidly aging?

99) How was Nick able to sign the title of Juilette's car over to Adalind when Juliette was never legally declared dead?

100) (!!!!) For once and for all, who owned Nick and Juliette's house and if it was co-owned or if Juliette owned it, how was Nick able to sell it without Juilette being legally declared dead?

Edited by OtterMommy
  • Love 1

For me, I am still wondering how Hexenbeist children age. Diana looks like she is 10-12 years old and it's just so creepy. 

101) Does Diana foster parents even knew that their foster daughter can magically age so fast before they took her in and is a super-Hexenbeist that was prophesied in Wesen legends?

Regarding #52, Juliette had a bag which contained Renard's hair and used that to make her doppelganger.  Catherine's dead body was used for the suppression potion that Adalind used and Henrietta is dead.

Bud showed up in the episode where the shops were attacked in s5.

102) What was with Nick hearing Juliette calling to him is s5ep1?  It was probably the best moment I've seen of the season* and it was just dropped.

103) Why is Nick completely unconcerned that the woman he supposedly loved, enough so that he was mourning her even after he believed she helped kill his mother, was obviously brainwashed and being used?**

* I've only seen about 5 episodes this season, because REASONS.  So, it was the best moment of what I saw.

** The answer to this one is, sadly, because he's Nick and he's a complete dumbass.

On 5/6/2016 at 5:54 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

Trubel found Nick by using the GPS on her motorcycle to track his cell phone when she showed him her cool new toy.

Pursuant to this, anyone could have found his fortress by just following him home from work. 

After being gone a few days, I come back to this fun thread.  For people with good memories (not me), the list could get up into the hundreds.

• Love 3

105) The show had four dead hexenbiests (2 dead lawyers, Catherine and Henrietta).

On 5/10/2016 at 7:46 AM, OtterMommy said:

102) What was with Nick hearing Juliette calling to him is s5ep1?  It was probably the best moment I've seen of the season* and it was just dropped.

103) Why is Nick completely unconcerned that the woman he supposedly loved, enough so that he was mourning her even after he believed she helped kill his mother, was obviously brainwashed and being used?**

* I've only seen about 5 episodes this season, because REASONS.  So, it was the best moment of what I saw.

** The answer to this one is, sadly, because he's Nick and he's a complete dumbass.

For #102, I thought it was a ripoff of when Adalind was in the dungeon and sent Nick an image that she was being held captive.  Reasons.  Lots of reason.  The show wanted fans to think not dead Juliette Eve was actually, dead.

On 5/14/2016 at 7:23 PM, Darklazr said:

105) The show had four dead hexenbiests (2 dead lawyers, Catherine and Henrietta).

For #102, I thought it was a ripoff of when Adalind was in the dungeon and sent Nick an image that she was being held captive.  Reasons.  Lots of reason.  The show wanted fans to think not dead Juliette Eve was actually, dead.

105) is really "104)"...  .

105) What happened to the Resistance people that Renard met with in Vienna along with Meisner and Sebastian?  I thought the plan was the Resistance folks were all going to do, something, about the Royal families?

106) What happened to the Portland Wesen Council that Bud belonged to?  

107) The Portland Wesen Council put out a hit on Nik and he does what, squat? Where are the scenes of Nik either confronting the council or at least letting Bud and his friends know what almost happened to their friend.

108) Why did Diana go along with the King and Juliette to the helicopter when she could have gotten away at any time?!

109) If hexenbiests are that powerful, why did we never see them use telekinesis in their fights with Nik or Momma Grimm in s2?

110) If Nik never saw the trailer growing up, why is it in the flashback the night Marie picked him up?!

15 hours ago, Darklazr said:

106) What happened to the Portland Wesen Council that Bud belonged to?  

107) The Portland Wesen Council put out a hit on Nik and he does what, squat? Where are the scenes of Nik either confronting the council or at least letting Bud and his friends know what almost happened to their friend.

I don't think that was a council and I think there were 2 different things you are talking about.  I'm assuming you are referring to the season 1 episode based on the Billy Goats Gruff (Leave it to Beavers, I think).  The group Bud belonged to was his "den," a group of Eisbiebers who looked out for each other and made decisions in a democratic matter.  The "group" that put out a hit on Nick wasn't really a group, it was a mob-like group of trolls, one of whom had a connection with the Reapers.

Now, in season 4, the actual "Wesen Council" put out a hit on Nick in the Maurachausee episode and that was dropped after the Manticore ended up dead.

6 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I don't think that was a council and I think there were 2 different things you are talking about.  I'm assuming you are referring to the season 1 episode based on the Billy Goats Gruff (Leave it to Beavers, I think).  The group Bud belonged to was his "den," a group of Eisbiebers who looked out for each other and made decisions in a democratic matter.  The "group" that put out a hit on Nick wasn't really a group, it was a mob-like group of trolls, one of whom had a connection with the Reapers.

Now, in season 4, the actual "Wesen Council" put out a hit on Nick in the Maurachausee episode and that was dropped after the Manticore ended up dead.

Yes!  In s4, episode 12 the Wesen Council in Germany put out a hit on Nick and he did squat after Juliette killed the Manticore.

(edited)

111) Renard told Juliette in s4 that he did not know how to reach his mother, but we saw that Elisabeth was his emergency contact after he was shot by Weston Stuart.  I guess we're soppose to believe Elisabeth did not keep in contact with her son while she went looking for Kelly and Diana.

Edited by Darklazr

113) When Renard found Adalind's potion pot at her mother's storage unit, why didn't he CALL Nick and warn him what his girlfriend was up to?  I mentioned before in a previous line item that it made no sense for Renard not to notify Nick that he caught Adalind in his and Juliette's home stealing hair and night clothes.   Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know the FBI dude had to shoot Renard, but that still could have happened when the Captain met up with Nick and Juliette at the house.

3 hours ago, Darklazr said:

113) When Renard found Adalind's potion pot at her mother's storage unit, why didn't he CALL Nick and warn him what his girlfriend was up to?  I mentioned before in a previous line item that it made no sense for Renard not to notify Nick that he caught Adalind in his and Juliette's home stealing hair and night clothes.   Yeah, yeah, yeah.  I know the FBI dude had to shoot Renard, but that still could have happened when the Captain met up with Nick and Juliette at the house.

He did.  Nick was taking his post-coital shower and didn't hear his phone.

4 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

He did.  Nick was taking his post-coital shower and didn't hear his phone.

Woah.  I must have missed that scene.  Darn.  I could not understand why Renard did not call Nick, BUT Nick clearly did not check his phone and call the man back.

14 hours ago, Darklazr said:

Woah.  I must have missed that scene.  Darn.  I could not understand why Renard did not call Nick, BUT Nick clearly did not check his phone and call the man back.

True...but he was also getting ready for a big event and therefore would have been off from work and off-call (and wouldn't have any pressing reason to check his phone).  He was just finishing getting dressed when Juliette returned so it is conceivable that he hadn't even yet touched his phone at that point.

Edited to add:  This one I don't really think is a plot hole as much as a plot convenience.  

Edited by OtterMommy

Recent conversations in spoilers and the Everything wrong thread reminded me of this one:

113) In season 3, after Renard has Eric assassinated, his mother calls to congratulate him and she has a very thick French accent.  When she shows up in season 4, she has a British accent.  I'm not bothered by the voice being different, but different accents is just sloppy.