Type keyword(s) to search

Xena: Warrior Princess - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)

Well, may I start. :)

• Ides of March:
    it is the climax of a whole season, the crucifixion scene is beautifully shot while Callisto is catching snowflakes with her tongue, and mixed with the death of an archenemy, Caesar ("...and take 'Xena' with you").
  • When Fates Collide:
    'Ides of March' to the next level.
  • 'the Ring trilogy':
    "_She_ said your name is Odin -- but I don't know you from your horse."

Comedies:

• A Day in the Life:
    duh, plain perfection.
  • Been There, Done That:
    chakram pinball!
  • Fins, Femmes and Gems:
    the Gabrielle Song! The fishing!
  • The Quill is Mightier:
    to the cave! (Despite the trope of Xena coming back in the last minutes of the ep to save the day.)
  • You are There:
    because it's just so surreal, and Michael Hurst did a really god job.
  • Many Happy Returns:
    it has a stupid plot an the baddies are annoying, but it feels relaxed and they play a lot with the subtext. And it is, for me, the episode on which the series ended; I'm still in denial of the ones that followed.
Edited by sev
  • Love 4

II'd say if I wanted to turn somebody on to the show with one episode, "A Day in the Life" is what I would go with. It does a great job of covering most of the things the show was good at without ever succumbing to issues of pace, accessibility, or melodrama.

I'd any of the Callisto episodes, the earlier ones especially, on my list of favorites. Even back then, the schtick of a hero having a nemesis who they'd created wasn't new, but HOLY CRAP did that show do it well! And both actresses knew how great the relationship between Xena and Callisto was. In the body-switching ep, you could see them both having the time of their lives imitating the other one.

And, at least every two years, when I don't think I can hear one more Christmas tune without strangling someone, I inoculate myself against the holiday by diving headfirst into the wonderfully over-the-top cheesiness that is "A Solstice Carol." Last I checked, you could stream it on Netflix for way less than five dinars.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 3

"A Day in the Life" (far and away the best of the funny episodes) is one of the episodes I most often rewatch, along with "Sins of the Past", "Bitter Suite" (what? I liked it) and "Is There a Doctor in the House?". Honorable mention goes to "One Against An Army", "When Fates Collide" and "Old Ares Had a Farm" (though that's mostly because of Kevin Smith).

• Love 4

I liked The Bitter Suite, too  - it really does have some great songs (#You and me love war, Doesn't matter what it's for...#) and even the Joxer the Mighty song gets a few good lines (#...Even if you're slightly nude!# - wish I could remember what the set up for that rhyme was). Old Man Ares had a Farm worked well too (if a little too Fanservice-y at times), probably helped that the principles got on so well (RIP Kevin Smith).

Groundhog Xena was fun, too (don't think that was the title) - Xena flat out murders Joxer (understandably and she knew it would be undone, but still...) plus the whole "Yes, Yes, No, Yes, both ways and No. We done?" Plus the "Well, I was hoping for Hercules... or at least Sinbad!" line was nice to see that not everyone thinks the sun shines out of Xena's ass (they're wrong, but still nice to see that other opinions are allowed!).

And unpopular opinion or no, I kinda like the way that A Friend in Need closes out the series. Even if it wasn't her fault, I liked the fact that Xena was prepared to sacrifice herself to save the innocent and that Gabrielle was ready to step forward and take her place.

• Love 5

"Been There, Done That" is the Groundhog Day title you were looking for, and yes, I thought it was funny too. In fact, it may be the only funny episode Joxer is in that I actually liked. I am not at all a fan of Joxer, though I am of Ted Raimi.

And I didn't hate "Friend In Need". It wasn't the finale I was hoping for, though to be honest I'm not sure HOW I would have wanted the show to end. Xena ultimately sacrificing herself for a bunch of nameless strangers never sat well with me (though from her perspective I understand it) but Gabrielle taking on her legacy as well as her chakram, that worked.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

I have nothing against Ted Raimi, but I loathed Joxer. Strangely enough, I liked "For him the bell tolls". It was a Xena-is-away episode, where Gabrielle came up with the solutions and Joxer was  charming for at least half of the time (due to the spell *g*). I just wish the writers would have made him learn a lesson and advance his character, instead of keeping him stagnating on the same jokes and delusions till the end of the series.

FIN goes into the Tartarus bin, for me.

Ohooo. 

Season One:

Prometheus: Xena and Hercules having some moments, and the girls are all like  - things to do, people to see while the boys look love struck behind them.

Hooves + Harlots: Ephany (love), and the setting up that Gabrielle will always have a family who will love/accept and want her but in a sense - Xena only really has Gabrielle (and her mother) but she always has a sense that she's not good enough for either of them.

The Greater Good/Calisto: (Xena's first 'death' Gabrielle's determination to get her to be buried next to Lycus as well as, well. Callisto). 

Is there a Doctor in the House: hi Ephany again! - and the exclamination point that Gabrielle means something to Xena (BFF at this point I feel... man - we had so many discussions on this at TWOP). 

Season Two:

Orphan of War: i always loved the whole "Xena's history" episodes, and the fact that she had a son mind blown. 

Destiny: Xena dies (for real this time), but we get to see what put her on the path of vindictive evilness. (the end where we see M'Lia die and Evil Xena be born gives me chills all the time). 

Day in the Life: obvi. 

The Price: the first glimpse that Gabrielle gets to see Evil Xena.... (her (Xena's) speech is so epic. slow and seductive, into a rousing course of.... KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL! KILL THEM ALL!). 

Season Three

Been there done that: hehe 

The Deliever through to The Debt + Maternal Instincts: I always found it so interesting that a lot of people didn't like "the Rift" - I rather enjoyed it (but then I am one of those few that don't like Gabrielle. At all. I have some of my favourite Gabrielle episodes, but i couldn't stand her). but Basically from Xena - shoving aside everyone to get at Caeser (ergo: missing the obvi. signs that the Dahak guy was shifty) Gabrielle killing and being Fire-Raped, to having a baby, losing her baby, Xena finding out that Lau Ma was dead, being betrayed by Gabrielle (because Gabrielle was uber-jealous - (I always felt as well as some others that between Gabrielle's hope-the Debt that this is where Xena + Gabrielle were intimate-ish). cultimating into Gabby's lie and Solon's death. Boooo. (and so very very good). (I do not though, like Bitter Suite. Or i would have liked it if we had had some more episodes with Xena and Gabrielle apart. Also - it emphasizes the fact that Xena had zero to turn to - while Gabrielle had the Amazons...and her parents had she chosen to go back to her family)

One against an Army.

When in Rome:  I think Steven L Sears is one of my favourite writers, and I think all of his (historical) stories had this perfect blend  to what the show was actually wink-wink/nudge-nudging about: Xena did everything, but she was cut out (Hence Gabrielle's stories, telling 'the truth').This one focused on Gabrielle - but i love how she made decisions and judgements and how she decided that Crasus should be killed (by refusing to give the ring back to him). 

there were some great season six episodes as well - (whose Gurkhan? the Rheingold triology, Dangerous Prey, Helicon and Back, Fates collide.). 

love xena lol

Sacrifice: Gabrielle's Dead! (i think everyone's mouth was like. they killed her?)

Season 4

A Good Day: I love all  the Roman storylines for the most part. 

Locked up + Tied Down

Crusader/Convert: I don't know why I love this episode so much - or why I liked Najara so much. She was very interesting. Like... who is the jin? Is she crazy? or there's really much a jin? This one was a thinker episode = and I added Convert there too because it brings up everything. back again, as well as  - Joxers first kill. You're reminded again that Joxer is full of poop, but when he's not utalised for comic relief, he's very easily someone you could love and root/cheer for. It pissed me off that he never got as much serious as he did comedy (which annoyed me). 

Past Imperfect: (another Xena's history. and it was so sad). 

Endgame-Ides of March: I would have been 100 percent happy, and okay had the season ended here. 

Season 5:

Seeds of Faith

God Fearing Child: this was so awesome. (and as someone who liked Hercules a lot, this was an amazing way to end that series for me as well). 

Amphipolis under Seige: first time we see Athena, (who is very much Xena-esque).

Antony and Cleopatra

• Love 4

Hi...just catching up with Xena on Netflix....watching the episode "Lifeblood."  Anyone remember this one? Amazons...past traditions of Amazon Queens and the Utma is dressed in 20th century clothes in the memories? A turquoise sweater and jeans? WTF? I really don't get this one--anyone have any ideas?  Who is this chick and where did she come from? What does she have to do with the Amazons?

Edited by gryphon

I don't remember this title but if there is a modern young woman with the Amazons it might be an episode that was an attempt at a spin off.  I saw the pilot for the series which was going to be called Amazon High and the premise was that a 20th century girl somehow time traveled to the past.  Now somewhere in the Xena mythos they at one point said that the Amazon Queens (of a certain tribe I guess, because Melosa was not) were all renamed Cyan in honor of the first Amazon Queen. The 20th century girl was named Cyan and the pilot established that she bands the survivors (all women) of a war (all their men had been murdered by the attacking army) together and names them Amazons so she uses her knowledge of the Amazon myth to CREATE the Amazons in the first place.  I hope I'm not way off base ass I haven't seen these eps in over 10 years.

MDKNIGHT - you're dead on, that is the episode. Xena and Gabrielle travel to some Amazon tribe to make baby Eve an Amazon princess. The tribe though is in a war with nomades, and it has gotten the touch of a blood feud on the side of the Amazons. While Gabrielle is busy to prepare the ceremony to give Eve her right of cast, Xena is shown visions of how the Amazons came to be in the first place, to help them back on the right path, and in these visions the 20th century girl comes into play. The first Cyan is the one giving the Amazons their good philosophy: strong women, educated, skilled in may trades including fighting and riding horses but with a peaceful purpose, and peaceful living with men though never bowing to them. The Amazon have forgotten that blood feud is not part of being a good Amazon, but Xena finds a way to share her visions of the past with them.

Oh, thanks so much MDKNIGHT and katusch! That makes more sense now....so it tried to be a spinoff? I don't remember the spinoff or anything like that so it was making no sense to me whatsoever.   You guys rock. 

Oh, thanks so much MDKNIGHT and katusch! That makes more sense now....so it tried to be a spinoff? I don't remember the spinoff or anything like that so it was making no sense to me whatsoever.   You guys rock. 

The spin off was never picked up so they decided to not waste the footage and turned it into one of the worst (imo) Xena episodes ever.

• Love 2

Married with Fishsticks.

In Sickness and In Hell.

Key to the Kingdom.

Three episodes I absolutely refuse to ever watch again.

I found In Sickness and in hell funny, though gross. The other two were pretty lame, but they were throw away episodes we could just forget.

To me the worst episode ever was Soul Possession. It was the episode that aired before the finale (WTF), it was really stupid, it made no fucking sense and basically made canon a lot of things that were just really stupid and nonsensical, like Xena being "married" to Ares and Gabrielle giving him her soul to save Hope (WHAT???). Plus, there were the insulting reincarnations of Xena and Gabrielle because apparently dozens of other lifetimes evolved them into stupid, gross people. Actually, Deja Vu All Over Again also sucks for this very reason. I hated those reincarnations. And it bothered me a lot because I loved Janice and Melinda, so it would've been great if the next contemporary reincarnation or descendants  of Xena and Gabrielle were as cool as them. But noooo.

Other bad episodes:

Lifeblood

Last of the centaurs (what was even the point of this? augh)

Send in the Clones (another wasted opportunity because they decided to go for gross humor)

The Chinese eps from season 5

Vanishing Act

"Been There, Done That" is the Groundhog Day title you were looking for, and yes, I thought it was funny too. In fact, it may be the only funny episode Joxer is in that I actually liked. I am not at all a fan of Joxer, though I am of Ted Raimi.

And I didn't hate "Friend In Need". It wasn't the finale I was hoping for, though to be honest I'm not sure HOW I would have wanted the show to end. Xena ultimately sacrificing herself for a bunch of nameless strangers never sat well with me (though from her perspective I understand it) but Gabrielle taking on her legacy as well as her chakram, that worked.

My biggest problem with A Friend in Need was that to me it wasn't a suitable finale for the series. I didn't mind Xena dying. But I thought that it wasn't cool that they wasted the series finale on redoing some asian movie. The ending wasn't about bringing the show full circle, but about telling this random story from scratch, this random story that had little to do with Xena and Gabrielle. The script itself had some good scenes and moments, and I loved the cinematography and music, but it just didn't work as a series finale. And there were too many things that were too forced, like the THOUSANDS dun dun dun who died at the fire. I also thought that Yodoshi was a terrible villain.

I wanted Xena to end with her burying Ares in the tomb. The events of The Xena Scrolls were considered enough canon to follow them through in the other (crappy) contemporary episodes, and I always wanted to see Xena putting Ares there. Ares as her last, ultimate villain in the last episode could've been great, and she could've risked her life (or died) actually helping people she cared about instead of for a bunch of randoms that the writers created on the spot just to give her a reason to feel guilty and to stay dead.

• Love 5

For Him the Bells Tolls

A Comedy of Eros

The Quill Is Mightier

Lyre, Lyre Hearts on Fire

Eternal Bonds

Those are my faves. Course, I'm not really so much a fan of Xena on a whole as much as I'm a fan of Joxer and with the exception of maybe a handful of eppies, I don't care to watch much beyond the ones he's in. Even first run, I usually wouldn't bother unless I saw that Ted Raimi was guest starring.

So yeah, I'm good with anything Joxer heavy and special bonus if it's Gabby/Joxer heavy.

• Love 1
(edited)

It has already been said - but A Day In The Life is absolutely perfect.  I have seen it probably... 20 times?  And it NEVER fails to disappoint.  It was funny in a real way - the complete opposite of many of their attempts at 'comedic' episodes.  And it wasn't just funny, the story was great.  

Other faves that I remember ... One Against an Army.  Callisto.  Intimate stranger.  Destiny.   The Debt.  Ah heck, more faves than not I'm thinking!  At least thru the first 3 seasons.... oh the wars that used to break out in the forums over when exactly the show lost its mojo... lol.

Edited by Xena

Yup - there weren't many - but there were a few where I believe she did not appear - at all.... sorry I can't think of the names of those eps, I have wiped them from my memory!  

Yup - there weren't many - but there were a few where I believe she did not appear - at all.... sorry I can't think of the names of those eps, I have wiped them from my memory!  

Oh.  I'm going through the series for my first time on Netflix, and so far, she's appeared in every one, sometimes for most of the episode, sometimes for just a few minutes if she's only at the beginning and end of them.  I'm in the middle of season three, and she has yet to be absent once.

• Love 1

I can only think about episodes like "For him the bell tolls" or "The quill is mightier" where Xena leaves for a "fishing trip" at the begin of the ep ant then shows up again at the end. There are also a couple of eps in season 2 where Xena is in Callisto's body... ;P

• Love 1

Ah, I blame it on too much ambrosia.  You all are right, the eps I was thinking of - she is still 'in' them, but only for a minute or two... 

:)

(RIP Kevin Smith).

What?  Something happened to him?

When in Rome:  I think Steven L Sears is one of my favourite writers, and I think all of his (historical) stories had this perfect blend to what the show was actually wink-wink/nudge-nudging about: Xena did everything, but she was cut out (Hence Gabrielle's stories, telling 'the truth').This one focused on Gabrielle - but i love how she made decisions and judgements and how she decided that Crasus should be killed (by refusing to give the ring back to him).

I just watched this one for the first time and don't get why she just let him die.  She had the ring in her hands and was just about to put it on him, yet she didn't at the last minute?  Never would've thought Gabrielle would've let a guy die.

What?  Something happened to him?

I just watched this one for the first time and don't get why she just let him die.  She had the ring in her hands and was just about to put it on him, yet she didn't at the last minute?  Never would've thought Gabrielle would've let a guy die.

I think it was basically that Gabrielle felt that  Crasus was a nice guy, then she realised that he was heinous, and she decided he must die. the commentary was like that was 100 percent on Gabrielle too - but they never explained it past that.

• Love 1

NBC is considering bringing Xena back in 2016. 

"The “modern reboot,” first reported by The Hollywood Reporter, may or may not bring back Lawless, though those involved with the series reportedly would like for her to have roles both in front of and behind the camera. However, she would not appear in her original role."

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/xena-warrior-princess-revival-series-nbc-1201544142/

Yes!

Now what late-20s, talented, and realistically action heroines are in Hollywood who aren't too famous to do this?

Definitely not the laughable Emilia Clarke whose Genisys flopped for a reason.

Perhaps an unknown.

Yes!

Now what late-20s, talented, and realistically action heroines are in Hollywood who aren't too famous to do this?

Definitely not the laughable Emilia Clarke whose Genisys flopped for a reason.

Perhaps an unknown.

It would almost have to be unknowns, eh? I don't think I want anyone I "know" being Xena and (ugh) Gabrielle. because if they ruined Xena, I'd hate them. 

I truly don't know how I feel about this. It's a great pre-birthday present for me (which is Tomorrow) because I love this show so much. But NBC has this nasty habit of cancelling shows right off the bat, not to mention, that i am not the biggest fan of reboots of shows that I adore. 

• Love 1

Whoever got cast as Xena and Gabrielle, I would feel sorry for them just because of the pressure of living up to such iconic portrayals, even if Lucy and Renee were somehow involved with the production either in supporting roles or behind the scenes.

• Love 1

Other sources are saying it's a go.  Which is too bad; I really wanted to see the original actresses come back and fix that finale; have Xena come back to life and reunite with Gabrielle, who's now living as the queen of the amazons.  I'd prefer it if the Greek gods were still around as opposed to the biblical b.s, but I'd still rather a continuation.

• Love 2

I remember awhile back I was thinking what 6 episodes I would submit for each season of the Emmys if miraculously they liked the show. It was straightforward for the first 3 seasons, though for 2 & 3 there were spillover eps that I felt were also essential to the show if not quite up to the level of the 6 I chose for their seasons. But then the second half of the series...I could only come up with 6 eps altogether. Perhaps I was too harsh at the time. Anyway:

S1 Sins of the Past/Warrior...Princess, Greater Good/Callisto, Hooves and Harlots/Doctor in the House
S2 Return of Callisto/Intimate Stranger, Destiny/Quest, Day in the Life/Price &
<Remember Nothing, Ten Little Warlords, Necessary Evil>

S3 Gabrielle’s Hope/Maternal Instincts, Debt, Bitter Suite/One Against An Army

<& Been There, Deliverer, When in Rome, Sacrifice>
S4-6 Good Day/Endgame, Ides of March/Fallen Angel, Chakram/When Fates Collide

Any episode when they go to modern-day settings.  Kills the momentum of what the show is really about and takes me out of each episode.  Though the episode with crazy Annie, who thought she was Xena reincarnated, admittedly had the fun twist of her really being Joxer reincarnated.

• Love 1

Well, I agree the "modern day episodes" weren't spectacular, and the humour often a bit to crude, but I give them extra points for  presenting clip show episodes in an original way.

• Love 1

I can't stop rewatching "Takes One to Know One" on Netflix!  I can't help it!  It was great from start to finish, IMO!  Just the right amount of humor, the question of whom the killer was, a great mix of characters with a good amount of chemistry among one another, dominatrix-dressed Discord, her hot, Chippendale-inspired thugs, possibly the best use of Lila and Minya, Joxer being dissed at almost every turn by Xena, Gabrielle, Autolycus, and even Minya, Joxer and even Gabrielle's epic fails at being the half detectives that Xena was (with Joxer accusing several wrong people, and Gabrielle just stating the obvious one too many times), an amazing battle scene with Xena, Minya, and Autolycus (and Joxer and Cyrene even got some good hits in!), and the surprise of Argo being the culprit!  And in self-defense, to boot!  And of course, the good, character-driven storytelling to get to the final point, as well as all of the interactions between and among characters.  It was all fantastic!

About the only downside was the victim being someone we didn't care about since we'd only met her in that one episode.  Well, that, and the WTF reaction I had when Xena figured the whole mystery out based on one use of a chandelier by Minya.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

I really like One Against An Army. I know most hate it - but I love it. I think maybe seeing it young and seeing Xena and Gabrielle back together after the Maternal Instincts/Bitter Suite rift arc plus having it be everything Xena is (One woman taking down an entire army - and the best one ever seen) in one single episode - with a little bit of humor at the start and a lot of love betweeen the two ladies. I don't know I just love it and often watch it when I am sad.

That and Warrior.Priestess.Tramp. Also, I know most hate it and it isn't the best episode ever but I do love it because it is just funny.

This should maybe go to an Unpopular Opinions thread though.

That and Warrior.Priestess.Tramp. Also, I know most hate it and it isn't the best episode ever but I do love it because it is just funny.

Actually, my boyfriend and I were talking about that one a few days ago, and he liked that one quite a bit.  In fact, he said Leah was his favorite of Xena's lookalikes, despite her only appearing that one time.  We both enjoyed her freaking out over learning that neither Xena nor Gabrielle were virgins.  And also, back in the early minutes of the episode, when Xena thought she was first Diana, then Meg, and a had a very warm smile on her face for each one.  It showed to us that while her lookalikes did annoy her at times, she still felt a good sense of friendship toward them.

Lifeblood

I forget.  Did this one have Cyane, the girl who was pulled from the future to save the Amazons of the past?  Because yeah, I wasn't into that one.  I was mainly taken out of the episode because of that (even though I oddly found her kind of sweet and cute) and found myself wondering if she ever got home, back to her time.  Would've sucked to have known she was stuck in theirs.

Being the 20th Anniversary I watched a bunch of the episodes again (Not all of them and kinda random ones but i do remember loving a lot of them.) I love the Amazon episodes but my favorite two have got to be Season 2 Remember Nothing and Season 3 A Bitter Suite.. I am still on Season 3 on my rewatch. I am not watching all the poised. Actually I am watching very few so I may actually be missing the best ones but I really didn't feel like watching the Hope episodes again so I skipped those and I skipped a lot of season 1.

<~~~~Edited to add best episode ever: The Ides Of March. I love when Gabrielle gets kick ass. The show was good at using kick ass Gabby sparingly so when they did it meant something.

Edited by Chaos Theory

I forget.  Did this one have Cyane, the girl who was pulled from the future to save the Amazons of the past?  Because yeah, I wasn't into that one.  I was mainly taken out of the episode because of that (even though I oddly found her kind of sweet and cute) and found myself wondering if she ever got home, back to her time.  Would've sucked to have known she was stuck in theirs.

Yep, that's Lifeblood. The deal with that one was that there was a pilot that wasn't picked up called Amazon something, and they reused the footage to make this mess of an episode to save money. Cyane the girl from the future who goes to the past and creates  the amazons was all part of that pilot.

Any episode when they go to modern-day settings.  Kills the momentum of what the show is really about and takes me out of each episode.  Though the episode with crazy Annie, who thought she was Xena reincarnated, admittedly had the fun twist of her really being Joxer reincarnated.

My problem with the present day episodes is that the characters basically devolved. After being so epic in previous lives they become buffoons in the future, which I hated. Even the clones were kind of gross/lame, all for the sake of "comedy". Soul Possession, specially, I found insulting. The only  future episode I truly liked was The Xena Scrolls because in spite of being an Indiana Jones spoof and a clip show, I thought it did justice to the characters and I liked the idea of Xena putting Ares in a tomb.  And I loved Janice and Mel and got a kick out of Xena being an actual show based on real life inside the Xena Universe.

Yep, that's Lifeblood. The deal with that one was that there was a pilot that wasn't picked up called Amazon something, and they reused the footage to make this mess of an episode to save money. Cyane the girl from the future who goes to the past and creates the amazons was all part of that pilot.

Oh, so that was the deal?  No wonder I felt like that whole episode was a mess!