Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Truth Be Told

NOTE: In May, Person of Interest will be airing two episodes a week, the first on Monday and the second on Tuesday. In June, the show will revert back to one episode a week on Tuesdays.

Reese's cover could be blown when he realizes the latest POI has ties to his old colleagues in the CIA.

you can't go wrong with Keith David. The arms deal plot didn't really make sense, why would you sell Stinger Surface to Air Missiles to the Afghans when the various insurgent forces fighting the government don't posses any air power.

I really liked tonight's ep and not just because it was a Reese centric.  (Although that didn't hurt. :-) )

I initially thought they might be setting Reese up with his "happily ever after"/"normal life", but then I watched this and I now fear he is on a death watch.  (sad face)  

• Love 2

I wasn't expecting the brother to be guilty.  I thought he was going to be collateral damage.  He was innocent, but Reese and Kira were ordered to eliminate him anyway to tie up loose ends, and cover the government's tracks.  So him being guilty was a nice twist.  Between John and Kira, I always thought Kira was the more ruthless one, but I've changed my mind.

They are definitely hitting the it will never be over for Reese until he is dead dead beats.

And a glitch happened to my TV right after the kiss, what happened?

That said...this show doesn't believe in dropping the anvils for the most part.  But this is certainly not looking good for Reese.  No "real" family and the first sense of one for him from Finch, Root, Shaw and Bear (with his connection with Carter.)  Oy, this is going to be a rough few weeks.  

Really good episode.  This season has been awesome so far and I really enjoyed the look into Reese's past.  David Keith was a terrific addition here and I liked his interaction with Reese at the end.

I always wanted to see an episode where the person of interest was someone Reese knew from his army days, before he got involved with the CIA.  We didn't get that here but I was very happy with the story that we got.

I sure hope this episode doesn't spell Reese's impending doom.

Well, unless that case figures into the overall story of the season, I thought we all knew John was supposed to feel detatched and that was why his handlers/bosses/practically anyone not a direct co-worker believes him a killing machine and super-duper great at wet work.

Other than that? I enjoyed the episode.

Bear! So sweet.

Root and Finch deciphering and having an "outing" together while Finch also got to run interference for John.

Plus, any excuse to have Keith David talk on-screen is fine by me.

I get why John did what he did at the end, but... I'm really tired of the love interests that just accept the break-ups and the break-up is proven to be the right move because the Ll is unable to deal with the reality of the Main Character. It's okay to have Grace that way, but when all of John's acknowledged LIs turn out like that? Boring and tiresome.

Doesn't take away from the Root/Finch/Bear times. There was a storm blowing through my neck of the woods, so I ended up with spottily crappy reception. I'll watch it again to see if I somehow missed anything important, but I don't think I did. The Machine v. Samaritan is still interesting and I'm curious as to how the malware dissection will come into play.

13 minutes ago, MrWhyt said:

you can't go wrong with Keith David. The arms deal plot didn't really make sense, why would you sell Stinger Surface to Air Missiles to the Afghans when the various insurgent forces fighting the government don't posses any air power.

My thought exactly. It's sloppy and intelligence-insulting. No one notices that SAM missiles are being shipped to people fighting guys in caves? But really the non-AI storylines in this show, from HR to Elias to Dominic, have always been a little dopey. 

Doc Redhead was all wrong for Reese; not sorry to see her go. 

• Love 5
(edited)

So I was all set to say that this episode was solid, and then the show made the mistake of thinking that I care at all about Reese/Iris or Reese's "woe is me I can't have the normal life I kind of want" whangst. I literally laughed out loud at the last shot of John walking away, all ~solitary and ~brooding like. John is much, much more fun and interesting when he's being snarky and badass. The only good thing about that scene is that we've dispensed with Iris, thank goodness. Agree that the death anvils are falling hard, as I think we also got some new information about John's family (adopted mom) here for the second episode in a row. But part of me also thinks that at this point, they're a red herring, because they're falling SO hard.

Otherwise...this episode was okay. Better than most of the one-offs in 4B, but very slow compared to the first two episodes. I did just ADORE seeing Stanton again, as she always makes Reese 300x more interesting, and tonight was no exception. I also really liked Keith David's character and wouldn't mind him coming back towards the end of the season as a CIA ally when the final fight against Samaritan begins. As a CIA boss, he's a nice counterpoint to Mark Snow; you get the sense he was to upper management what Reese was to operators (whereas Snow/Stanton were more parallel to each other). KD had good presence in the role and was quietly very smart/competent without being flashy. Plus, he was GOLIATH, so he can do no wrong! But it's just hard to get excited about instance #4386456 of Reese's past cropping up in the present and/or making him feel guilty. Talk about played out at this point.

I wasn't expecting the brother to be guilty.  I thought he was going to be collateral damage.  He was innocent, but Reese and Kira were ordered to eliminate him anyway to tie up loose ends, and cover the government's tracks.  So him being guilty was a nice twist.  Between John and Kira, I always thought Kira was the more ruthless one, but I've changed my mind.

I knew he was guilty the second it was Reese who shot him instead of Stanton. No way the show would have Reese kill the guy and then have him not be guilty. That's too dark.

In case anyone was wondering, the Emily Dickinson poem:

Cocoon above! Cocoon below!
Stealthy Cocoon, why hide you so
What all the world suspect?
An hour, and gay on every tree
Your secret, perched in ecstasy
Defies imprisonment!

An hour in Chrysalis to pass,
Then gay above receding grass
A Butterfly to go!
A moment to interrogate,
Then wiser than a "Surrogate,"
The Universe to know!

Any thoughts on what it means? Or what the Samaritan computer program that's rewriting stuff might be doing? (Apologies if this was covered in the episode, but my local affiliate cut in with some BS ad during the last Finch/Root scene so I missed part of it.)

This is the third episode in a row where I really appreciated the humor; Root as the UPS delivery driver was fun (as was her taking out the sleazy boss repeatedly), but I also got a kick out of the number turning down John's initial coffee offer. Did anyone else think he thought Reese was hitting on him and that's part of why he was so flustered? Finch had some good snark as well. Also, I think the show has been much more deft this season about the Finch/Reese/Root trio (just realized we didn't see Fusco tonight). Root running a Samaritan op, John a numbers op, and Finch overseeing both felt much more natural tonight than it did all of last season.

So, tonight was okay but definitely the least exciting ep this season so far. But omg, I AM SO EXCITED FOR NEXT WEEK.

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1

Solid episode for Reese, except for the Iris part. I didn't really get the weapons thing but I'm happy a number/case was the main plot. Where was Fusco though?! It bugged me. 

Stanton and Reese used the first names of my brother and I in the flashbacks which may be my favorite part, hah

(edited)

Who is the actor playing the brother Paul?

Plus, any excuse to have Keith David talk on-screen is fine by me.

I expected more screen time with him.  I'd like to see him, just not his character, though that ending was open ended.

Edited by elle
30 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

then the show made the mistake of thinking that I care at all about Reese/Iris or Reese's "woe is me I can't have the normal life I kind of want" whangst.

Well, we had to put an end to the Iris story-line... and now it's done.  With a few, short scenes, and she walks away for ever.  

To not do it now, would be to leave a dangling loose end, or force a resolution later on in the series, when the action may be becoming a little hectic.

• Love 4

As I was watching this ep, I was wondering what happened to Greer?  The break was so long that I couldn't remember what became of him.  Then I see the preview for next week and there he is! Looking forward to seeing him again...he plays evil so well.

Bothered me that Reese was walking ten feet behind Duncan and saying the name Duncan to Finch.  Even though Reese was talking softly, wouldn't Duncan be extra alert to hearing his own name?

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, MrWhyt said:

The arms deal plot didn't really make sense, why would you sell Stinger Surface to Air Missiles to the Afghans when the various insurgent forces fighting the government don't posses any air power.

A) To sell to someone else.

B) They are useful against other IR emitting targets, such as tanks, trucks, mess halls.

C) The US has air power to shoot down...

By the way, fast work.... They replaced the window on the subway car already.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Subway has a wealth of material about the new BearCave. Enjoy!

Edited by Syme
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Syme said:

A) To sell to someone else.

B) They are useful against other IR emitting targets, such as tanks, trucks, mess halls.

C) The US has air power to shoot down...

By the way, fast work.... They replaced the window on the subway car already.

http://personofinterest.wikia.com/wiki/The_Subway has a wealth of material about the new BearCave. Enjoy!

to A and C. Why would the US government sell Stingers to the Afghan government when they know the Afghan government has no legitimate use for them?. That was the original arms deal that doesn't make sens, diverting them to insurgents does. As for B. the warhead on a stinger is just going to scratch the paint on a tank and there are cheaper and more effective means of blowing up trucks and buildings. The stinger only has a 6 lb blast/frag warhead it's not designed for trying to get through armor or destroyign structures.

Edited by MrWhyt
  • Love 1
(edited)

Watched all three episodes last night and this was definitely the weakest of the three. It wasn't terrible for the most part but kind of lacked anything of significance. But thank goodness Reese and Iris are over. She was a completely useless character and despite dialogue suggesting "she got Reese better than anyone" they failed spectacularly at showing it. I still maintain the pairing was a CBS directive because they sure dropped her as soon as they could once it was apparent that this was the final season.

One last thought, I HATE the trope that a "normal" life is the only way to true happiness and fulfillment. I really wish Reese would have told Iris that not only does he need to be himself, but he wants to be.  He lives to save people and loves taking out the trash. There can be happiness there, and he's far from alone. He's got his own weird family. It's not normal, but it's where he seems happy. About time he embraced that. It's going to end with him dying, but there's no tragedy going out a bad ass hero. 

Edited by Trillium
  • Love 10

I wasn't happy with Reese distancing himself from people again, which reversed the Carter episode from last scene.  I can't say I'm sorry that he broke up with Iris though.  She looks beautiful but her character is dull and John's love interest should be a lot more interesting.

I agree that Reese doesn't have to change the life that he currently lives.  Normal is overrated.  He does good and important work and there's no reason he has to stop doing that, even if he wants to settle down a little and enjoy a relationship.  I can't imagine Reese just giving up ever helping people.

• Love 1

I didn't see Reese breaking up with dull Iris as him distancing himself from people. He has his weird little family of Finch, Root, Fusco and Shaw when they get her back. He doesn't seem like the normal relationship type anyway. He's married to his job of saving people with his new family. 

• Love 5

It was nice to see a CIA bigwig who was also a decent human being. This show has gotten me so paranoid that I suspect anyone who is not Team Machine of evil intentions and planning on killing everyone in sight.

I wonder if Samaritan's mal/spyware is an attempt to reach the Machine. I really think that that it will be the Machine herself who will take down Samaritan, either by converting him or turning him off a la Hal in 2001.

• Love 4

I was stunned that the CIA guy turned out to be decent.  The CIA and the government are like the devil on this show.

Hell, even Kara seemed to be a more mellow version of her usual self.

• Love 1

This is probably the most "normal" episode of POI there's been in a log time. There was still stuff about Samaritan installing spyware on computers, but it's kind of refreshing to have an episode just having the team do what it usually does. 

I think the Iris-break up is basically clearing the decks a little before the shitstorm we know is coming, starts. I have a feeling if this were a full season, things would have been different.

The job IS John's life. Without it, he wouldn't know what else to do.

I did like the fact he knew the brother was lying, although I kind of thought so when he started going off on his "I serve my country, and this is what I get" speech.
Next week---Shaw. THIS is the episode people can't stop talking about...

• Love 3
(edited)

I liked this episode. It surprised me.

Sure, it was more run-of-the-mill, but we needed that, we needed to establish that the Machine works normally (or close enough) and everything is in place for the final battle to begin. But I liked that this wasn't just a random case, and it was connected to Reese's CIA past. That allowed the episode to resonate a little more. We didn't just see a case/person that paralleled Reese's emotions, we got Reese's actual emotions and an actual case he worked on. Not to mention, we got Kara Stanton! It's always such a joy to see her. I was thrilled. Oh and we got a Mark Snow mention! I miss that sonuvabitch.

4 hours ago, benteen said:

I was stunned that the CIA guy turned out to be decent.  The CIA and the government are like the devil on this show.

Right? And here's the "surprise" part. I thought Keith David somehow wanted to cover up his own illegal dealings. I thought this incident from Reese's past was meant to demonstrate that Reese had already lost most of his humanity by that point (after "no teeth, no fingerprints") and that he was quick to pull the trigger just to "clean up". I thought this was the Reese who felt like a weapon, like a tool, like he wasn't making a difference. I thought the parallel would be to the brother guy, who was all about his country and doing the right thing but fighting a perpetual war. I thought Reese lied to spare the younger brother's feelings.

But!

Keith David was decent and he was actually doing his job and he had given Reese and Stanton legit info. His only concern was to catch (or kill) a traitor. At that point, Reese was still doing his job with no complaints. Reese was just displaying his insight, his good eye for traitors. Reese was showing why he was perfect for his job. Reese killed that man because he was guilty. Reese did a good thing. Reese did lie to protect the younger brother's feelings, but only partially. As he said, he wanted the brother to let it drop. The operation was legit. The brother was dirty. Justice was served (though without due process, which was a great way to show that Reese has changed since then).

I wasn't expecting any of that, not because it was unpredictable but because I made the wrong assumptions about what the flashbacks were meant to convey. Sure, there was the cliche "we are the dark", but it was nice to see that Reese has also done some good in this world. Like Keith David said, Reese does what needs to be done. It was all surprisingly optimistic for a Reese episode.

Except for the way it foreshadowed Reese's death, of course. Because there will be no "someday" for him. No normal life. Ever.

I, too, am glad the Iris thing is over. It never made much sense, other than the practical (Reese is lonely and she knows enough about him that he doesn't have to lie about his whole life story). When we saw Reese meeting the parents, I had the strangest flash of the show concluding with a Finch/Grace and Reese/Iris happy ending (and Root/Shaw too please!) and, like, everyone all happily coupled up. Guess not. And that's a huge relief.

I gotta say, Jim Caviezel is so energized this season! Like, he was speaking at a normal volume this week! And delivering exposition, too! Damn! Great stuff from him, as always. When Finch asked "does [Keith David] know you?" and Reese said "He knew me at one time"? DAMN. Poor Reese. He really is not normal on any level. His heart is the heaviest. Oh and, adoptive family? Wow. "Have any siblings?" "No."

I love Reese.

And I also love Reese's willingness to wreck cars while he's still in them.

One last thing: when Reese an the number were trying to escape and Reese was all "where's Beele?" and Keith David just coldcocked him from behind? Right in front of the number, who was just standing there? Like, give Reese a heads up, guy!

Edited by Princess Lucky
  • Love 3
41 minutes ago, Princess Lucky said:

I gotta say, Jim Caviezel is so energized this season! Like, he was speaking at a normal volume this week! And delivering exposition, too!

I noticed this too. It took me a second to regain my equilibrium in 5x01, but it's great. It makes the whole show better.

• Love 1

Have they been doing the intro delivered half by Finch and half by Greer in all episodes this season? I only noticed it at the beginning of this episode.

I am having doubts about the number's motivation. He is told that his brother died a hero, in combat, under classified circumstances. Why go and do something obviously illegal to uncover the details? And it also kinda sounded like he chose his career, or at least a job at that particular company, in order to fulfill his mission of finding how his brother died. Do people really do things like this?

5 hours ago, benteen said:

Was this the first episode she did try to shoot anyone?

I will be really shocked if they show me a pharma company that is not all crooks bent on killing people for profit.

(edited)

I gotta say, Jim Caviezel is so energized this season! Like, he was speaking at a normal volume this week! And delivering exposition, too! Damn! Great stuff from him, as always.

What is driving me batty is how SHINY he looks.  I know this was shot in July/August, but I want to pat his face down with some blotting tissue. (Which isn't a bad job once you think about it.)

She looks beautiful but her character is dull and John's love interest should be a lot more interesting.

Speaking of which, I need one last episode with Paige Turco.  Zoe and Reese living in suburbia is one of my favourite eps.

Edited by mtlchick
addition.
  • Love 11

A good episode. We got to see what the Machine saw in SNAFU, which is Reese as a coldblooded assassin. It was good to see Kara Stanton back. They have untethered Reese from Iris. Mixed feelings, because, on the one hand, it would be nice to see Reese have some happiness. OTOH, this makes it easier for this season's endgame, if something happens to Reese; at the very least, he wouldn't be distracted by needing to protect Iris while also protecting Finch, Fusco, Root, Shaw...and Bear.

Not sure we've heard the last of Reese's old boss.

(edited)
20 hours ago, Shriekingeel said:

My thought exactly. It's sloppy and intelligence-insulting. No one notices that SAM missiles are being shipped to people fighting guys in caves? But really the non-AI storylines in this show, from HR to Elias to Dominic, have always been a little dopey. 

Doc Redhead was all wrong for Reese; not sorry to see her go. 

That is kind of the point, the CIA covered it up so that no one would notice that the SAM missiles were being shipped.  The memos only mentioned the non-Stinger items.  This is why the CIA needed to clean up the mess (loss of the SAM missiles and use against same forces) and not military criminal investigations, and summary execution was needed.  They couldn't let the fact that SAM missiles were being transported at all.  This was probably the reason why the Major felt that he could steal the weapons, because no official channels knew those particular weapons existed in the shipment.  It will be interesting, it seems like the CIA guy has not been roped into the Samaritan infrastructure, I wonder if he will be important as an asset in the future.

I am glad that they followed up with the malware installation by Samaritan into computers.  I was a little worried that when Reese and Finch stole the needed servers in the previous episode, they would have been compromised and thus expose Team Machine.  But I guess Samaritan hasn't been able find a way to efficiently get to all of the computers out there.  

Edited by HawaiiTVGuy
39 minutes ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

That is kind of the point, the CIA covered it up so that no one would notice that the SAM missiles were being shipped.  The memos only mentioned the non-Stinger items.  This is why the CIA needed to clean up the mess (loss of the SAM missiles and use against same forces) and not military criminal investigations, and summary execution was needed.  They couldn't let the fact that SAM missiles were being transported at all.

That part is not in question; the fact that SAM weapons were being illegally sold to the Afghani's at all is the weird part.  What use do the Afghan's have for surface-to-air missiles?  They're fighting insurgents, who don't have air assets.  The only air assets in the theatre are the ones being used by the US and its allies.  So why ship SAMs in the first place, and run the risk of them being stolen and used against you?

2 hours ago, HawaiiTVGuy said:

it seems like the CIA guy has not been roped into the Samaritan infrastructure, I wonder if he will be important as an asset in the future.

I too, got the impression that he had not been read in to the Samaritan organization.  However, he was carefully avoiding being seen by any cameras, so I am pretty sure he has caught wind of something.

1 hour ago, Agent Dark said:

So why ship SAMs in the first place, and run the risk of them being stolen and used against you?

Because someone who wants to sell them for a profit submitted a request for them, and someone else who wanted to profit as a middle-man on the deal rubber-stamped  approval for the sale, and some squaddie who knows better than to argue with senior ranks loaded them for transport...  They could just as easily have sent a battleship to the Sahara.

(edited)
15 hours ago, Trillium said:

One last thought, I HATE the trope that a "normal" life is the only way to true happiness and fulfillment. I really wish Reese would have told Iris that not only does he need to be himself, but he wants to be.  He lives to save people and loves taking out the trash. There can be happiness there, and he's far from alone. He's got his own weird family. It's not normal, but it's where he seems happy. About time he embraced that.

That's also a trope a I hate, probably one of the tropes I hate most, third on the list after idiot plotting and handing characters the idiot ball respectively. The "you'll never have a normal life" "I want a normal life but will never get it" etc. always seems to be expressed by people who live in universes with All seeing A.I.s like this one, vampires, werewolves, etc. everywhere, aliens attacking the planet, whatever and rarely if ever happens in universes just like our own. Whatever universe it is, this crap IS normal as far as that universe is concerned and the characters who bring this up are either ignorant of what's going on or simply in massive denial as to that fact Reese is a good example of this, someone who both wants and is told to want a "normal" life without recognizing that what he does IS perfectly normal for him and the world he lives in.

That, and "normal" is always brought up as referring to simply getting into a relationship then settling down and raising a family, as if "normal" even in a completely realistic context was limited to such an incredible degree, and it automatically assumes that such a thing is beneficial or even desired.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I too, got the impression that he had not been read in to the Samaritan organization.  However, he was carefully avoiding being seen by any cameras, so I am pretty sure he has caught wind of something.

Because someone who wants to sell them for a profit submitted a request for them, and someone else who wanted to profit as a middle-man on the deal rubber-stamped  approval for the sale, and some squaddie who knows better than to argue with senior ranks loaded them for transport...  They could just as easily have sent a battleship to the Sahara.

Maybe since Northern Lights was revealed, all of the higher ups in the intelligence agencies have been paranoid?

On 5/11/2016 at 8:02 PM, MrWhyt said:

[W]hy would you sell Stinger Surface to Air Missiles to the Afghans when the various insurgent forces fighting the government don't posses any air power.

Way back in the Ford administration (and to a lesser extent Carter administration), the CIA was providing Stingers to the Afghan rebels who were fighting the Soviet invasion (these rebels grew up to be the Taliban once the Russians were gone).  Maybe whoever wrote this episode thought we were still doing this.

19 hours ago, shura said:

Have they been doing the intro delivered half by Finch and half by Greer in all episodes this season? I only noticed it at the beginning of this episode.

No, they haven't been doing that in every episode. In the first episode this season, the intro voiceover was Root while we saw footage of the subway station. In the second episode, Finch's voiceover got as far as, "You are being watched" before everything went all glitchy because The Machine was still not functioning properly.

• Love 3

Nice to see a more Reese-centric episode, even if the overall POI was more run-of-the-mill.  It was nice to just see a normal case, after all the craziness that went down in the past two episodes.  It was nice to see Stanton again in the flashbacks (and the mention of Snow), and Keith David was a blast, and I hope he pops back up again in a future episode.  Actually didn't see the brother being guilty in the end, so that was a decent twist. Still, Reese shot him without knowing for sure, so he clearly was hardcore during his stint in the CIA.  Agree that Jim Caviezel seems more energetic this season.  Maybe he likes the material better or is glad they are close to wrapping up, but there just seems to be more fire in him now.

Not a huge fan of Iris even though I like Wrenn Schmidt, so I'm glad they seem done with her.  I know it's suppose to be tragic that Reese can't have a normal life or anything, but I think even if he wasn't involved in all of this, a "normal life" just isn't for him, and there is nothing wrong with that.  I don't think he needs one to be happy.  That's why I was I think my favorite relationship (other then the ones with Finch, Root, etc) is his one with Zoe, because Reese always strikes me as someone who would be better at a casual relationship, then an actual girlfriend, etc.

Root and Finch's little B-plot was fun enough, as guess.  As soon as Root brought up the guy constantly flirting with her, I knew it was going to end with him getting knocked out.

No Fusco always makes me sad, so hopefully we won't be absent for too many episodes.  Especially since this is going to be the end.

Definitely got the sense that Reese is destined for a tragic end.  It might be a heroic one, hopefully, but I have a bad feeling he won't make it throught the series alive.  Then again, I really shouldn't underestimate Reese.

Next Monday should be good! 

• Love 1

This episode did a great deal to humanize Root.
(Compare her to when Control was taking away her enjoyment of music.....)

That bothers me.... does it portend her death?

This was a more average episode, but I liked that we got a Reese centric, perhaps one last story about his time in the CIA.  

The warped versions of the opening sequences have been fun to watch.

Root's weekly new identities are quite entertaining.

I had forgotten all about that counsellor lady.  She sure took the breakup well.  I feel like I'm watching too many shows where love interests go, "Your past doesn't matter!"  

• Love 1

That's why I was I think my favorite relationship (other then the ones with Finch, Root, etc) is his one with Zoe, because Reese always strikes me as someone who would be better at a casual relationship, then an actual girlfriend, etc.

I'd be more than happy if Reese (providing he survives) ends up with Zoe.  I'm not talking about marriage or anything.  Zoe is an interesting character unlike Iris and the type of relationship they have works for Reese with his kind of lifestyle.  For Zoe too.

• Love 10
On 5/11/2016 at 10:04 PM, TigerLynx said:

They are definitely hitting the it will never be over for Reese until he is dead dead beats.

I think she was more ruthless than Reese. It's just that Reese was better at assessing situations and the people involved (except when they're women and about to kill him).

3 hours ago, benteen said:

I'd be more than happy if Reese (providing he survives) ends up with Zoe.  I'm not talking about marriage or anything.  Zoe is an interesting character unlike Iris and the type of relationship they have works for Reese with his kind of lifestyle.  For Zoe too.

Agreed.  I thought Zoe was the one that really "got him," because she knew who he really was and what he was capable of.  Iris didn't have a clue.  

• Love 10

I'm hoping that this episode's callback to Reese's time in the CIA plus learning that his CIA boss (what's the character's name-?) is a decent human being is foreshadowing for Samaritan's downfall. Right now, the CIA, Homeland Security and FBI are Samaritan tools, whether they know it or not. But if enough bigwigs like the CIA boss realize that an AI is running the show behind the scenes, then they can become allies for Team Machine.

On 5/12/2016 at 2:34 PM, Agent Dark said:

That part is not in question; the fact that SAM weapons were being illegally sold to the Afghani's at all is the weird part.  What use do the Afghan's have for surface-to-air missiles?  They're fighting insurgents, who don't have air assets.  The only air assets in the theatre are the ones being used by the US and its allies.  So why ship SAMs in the first place, and run the risk of them being stolen and used against you?

Who knows, the CIA does random stuff for random reasons.  Maybe they were giving to the Afghans so they could sell it to other people and thus the Afghans could have money to run their government?  I have a feeling that the CIA wasn't "selling" anything to the Afghans that were off-the-books and using their own discretionary funds to just give it to the Afghans.

GOLIATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahem.

So glad that Goliath Beale ended up being decent. Hey, it's Goliath. He can't be a BAD guy! 

I lovedlovedloved another look into Reese's past, though now I'magonnahafta pull out my season one dvds, because I'm sure by 2010, Kara was assumed dead, no? And was missing? or some such. Or did all that happen during the year before this show started? 

But this is the Reese I love Best. 

I won't lie. Once it was 'splained why Finch needed to help Root, my finger pressed the fast forward whenever Root was on screen. I can't neither abide her or the actress who plays her.

My fanwank is that Reese gave that 'normal' speech to Iris as this show's version of "It's not you, but me" as a break up line. No muss, no fuss.  And it's not like it happens with every love interest he has.  He left Jessica because he had a call to duty--and told her not to wait. Nothing to do with normal. And then she was killed. Zoe gets him. She's perfect for him. and the flight attendandt from "4C" I'm so sure, wasn't looking for anything deep.

If nothing else, I want MORE of Reese and Bear scenes, and not have him lavish all this love on that twat, Root.

I can't stand Greer, either. If he could die, and soon, nothing would please me more. Well, other than Root also buying it.

And unlike most, I'm not jumping with excitement for next week's episode. Big Huuuge yawn. Just based on one scene, it looks like Shaw has

been turned into some kind of Terminator

. Yaaaaawn.

My current suspicion is that we'll end up with the Machine using Samaritan's malware as a direct conduit into Samaritan with herself as a Trojan Horse to change it from the inside. From the cocoon comes the butterfly.

• Love 2
On 5/13/2016 at 9:59 AM, benteen said:

My dream ending would be Reese and Zoe somewhere in Europe seemingly content with their new (exile?) lives.  Then he gets a text message on his cell with a number (EU citizen id or some such)...