Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E11: Paris & Tara

(edited)
On 5/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, Tara Ariano said:

NO RELATION.

Glad to hear that, because that "Tara" is nuttier than squirrel turds!

I'm completely confused as to why a human adult would move a child to another state without a solid plan in place.  I mean a solid plan.  Not a plan for someone else you met online to take care of you, but a plan...and a backup plan.  And how did you not have any money between you and your mom?  Why should someone be saddled with the responsibility for financially supporting three people she isn't related to?

Oh, and not to rain on Mary's pity parade, but most states have emergency aid/welfare, especially if you have a child.  I suspect Mary, with her child, ended up with some sort of government aid.  Which is fine, because a kid shouldn't have to suffer for being born to a fool....but I don't think this was the great betrayal that left Mary panhandling in the streets.  Mary kept talking about that night in the women's shelter, so is this really all over one night in a shelter?  Due to her piss poor planning?

I knew something was up with Mary when she could only say that Paris was manipulative, but she couldn't really back it up with any examples.  I mean, if I call a person horrible, you bet I've got a few stories to back my opinion.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 11

Paris admitting to being a catfish herself told me enough. And that she should have figured it would come back full circle at some point. Mary is nuttier than a fruitcake, in my opinion, especially since she did all of this for revenge. Revenge for what? Getting a reality check when you thought you'd move to Chicago and a woman you've never met would take care of your every need?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Paris admitting to being a catfish herself told me enough. And that she should have figured it would come back full circle at some point. Mary is nuttier than a fruitcake, in my opinion, especially since she did all of this for revenge. Revenge for what? Getting a reality check when you thought you'd move to Chicago and a woman you've never met would take care of your every need?

A 19-year-old living in her mother's house, at that. Mary REALLY thought she could move herself, her MOTHER, and her CHILD into someone else's mother's house? And between her and her mother, these two grown adults couldn't scrape together enough for a room at Motel 6 while they figured out what to do next? Mary is a fucking loon. 

When Mary was all smug "Well, I took care of MYSELF when I got to South Carolina," I was like "So you want a prize, 20something woman?" and then When Max was all "Yay, because you're an adult" I fell out. I love Max.

• Love 14

If Mary wanted to expose to the world what a terrible person Paris is, she failed on an epic scale.  Paris is no saint, but Mary is clearly bat-sh!t crazy and now the whole world knows that instead.  Good work!

Mainly posting to say how much I loved the recap, as usual.  I wish the "thank you" icon was still available so we could tell all the recappers how much their efforts are appreciated.

• Love 8

The playful interaction between Nev and Max at the very beginning of the episodes has become my favorite part. I fully enjoyed their screams of horror and over the top expressions of horror when the stuffed catfish was pulled out of Nev's shirt. A few weeks back, they did some pizza box riff where one of them pretended they were walking in with a pizza, then completely wiped out. Quality.

• Love 2

And WTF is wrong with Wild-Eyed Crazy Mary's mother that she also thought it was a great idea to move in with her daughter's online teenage girlfriend?  I don't have a lot of hope for the future of Mary's kid.

• Love 7
(edited)
2 hours ago, jtallman said:

I enjoy the recaps more than the actual show, mainly because when I watch it in real time I'm constantly thinking, "What is wrong with these people?"

Ha! I usually read the recap and then watch & laugh thru the episode thinking of Tara's review. As ridiculous as this show is , I will miss it when it ends haha the reviews are so hilarious

Reality Checks by Max are my fave part of Catfish

Edited by DNR
Added comment

I knew it was Mary the moment they got "Tara" on the phone.  Even though that was Mary's 'wife' - somehow to me it sounded exactly like Mary. 

Did we know if Paris knew that Mary was bringing her mom too?  If not I could see how Paris would be like woah... NO, STOP. And cut ties with the relationship.  And I think it was nice that Paris knew well enough to take them to a women's shelter.  She could have just told them 'too bad, so sad, find a place yourself'.

The whole "and WHERE did you put us??" thing was ridiculous.  Mary, she didn't have to put you anywhere. 

• Love 7

Paris said she didn't know it was going to be the three of them, and said that Mary told her that she had plans for when she got there.

Mary says she did tell her it was OK to bring her mom and son to live with her. We were not shown any text that confirms either side of the story. However as a 24 year old, there is no way you should bring your child and mother along like that. Go out there yourself and it it all seems legit send for them. What if she had been able to house them all but it was unsafe or something. 

• Love 3

I also loved how Mary said she left her family, her grandparents, to move up to Chicago.  Why in the world did she bring her mom!? Although I guess I'm assuming they were her maternal grandparents but maybe not.  Or maybe they were living with the grandparents and they were told to get out? 

So many things to speculate.... 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, yb125 said:

However as a 24 year old, there is no way you should bring your child and mother along like that. Go out there yourself and it it all seems legit send for them.

She probably figured bringing them would make it less likely for Paris to change her mind, and didn't grasp that it would make it more likely for Paris' mother to say "hell no!".

• Love 2

I always have the closed captioning on when I watch Catfish, because let's face it - many of the "contributors" speak poorly and can be difficult to understand.

While watching this episode, during the quick scene that appeared in the middle of a block of commercials (in which champagne bottles were being popped, and glasses were being filled), Nev picked up a small accordion and began playing.

However, the closed captioning said "harmonica playing...."

Oh woe to the CC transcriber who doesn't know the difference between a harmonica and an accordion!

• Love 3
On 5/7/2016 at 11:20 AM, TwirlyGirly said:

Oh woe to the CC transcriber who doesn't know the difference between a harmonica and an accordion!

That part of the captioning must have been based on the script. Using the script can greatly improve the captioning for a show, but when something changed during filming, it doesn't always get caught.

On 5/3/2016 at 9:05 AM, Tara Ariano said:

NO RELATION.

Glad to hear that, because that "Tara" is nuttier than squirrel turds!

I'm completely confused as to why a human adult would move a child to another state without a solid plan in place.  I mean a solid plan.  Not a plan for someone else you met online to take care of you, but a plan...and a backup plan.  And how did you not have any money between you and your mom?  Why should someone be saddled with the responsibility for financially supporting three people she isn't related to?

Oh, and not to rain on Mary's pity parade, but most states have emergency aid/welfare, especially if you have a child.  I suspect Mary, with her child, ended up with some sort of government aid.  Which is fine, because a kid shouldn't have to suffer for being born to a fool....but I don't think this was the great betrayal that left Mary panhandling in the streets.  Mary kept talking about that night in the women's shelter, so is this really all over one night in a shelter?  Due to her piss poor planning?

I knew something was up with Mary when she could only say that Paris was manipulative, but she couldn't really back it up with any examples.  I mean, if I call a person horrible, you bet I've got a few stories to back my opinion.

Exactly! I mean this is a woman who was at LEAST 5 years older than Paris. So she should have had a back up plan TO her back up plan. And it is odd that neither her nor her mother had ANY money between them when they moved.

• Love 2
7 hours ago, AriadneB said:

Exactly! I mean this is a woman who was at LEAST 5 years older than Paris. So she should have had a back up plan TO her back up plan. And it is odd that neither her nor her mother had ANY money between them when they moved.

IKR!!!!!  You mean to tell me that two human adults moved to another state without any money whatsoever?  Not even enough for a night in a cheap motel?  Seriously...wolves take better care of their young.

• Love 1