Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Israel Meets Spurgeon

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, yogi2014L said:

There was a blogger who was on the Duggars ( Sarah Pope- her son was preemie in hospital with Josie) and she said they had to do the intro shot a few times before they got it right, so I would imagine all of this is totally staged re done and re shot. 

To be fair, all reality shows do this.

1 hour ago, Whyyouneedaname said:

show of hands of everyone that cringed when Jill was saying Izzy loves "futbol" and trying to sound native ;) 

If she called it "soccer," people would dog on her for that, too.

• Love 5

I actually think the adult Duggars are 'experimenting' with showing emotions. They've been taught to 'keep sweet' their whole lives and being outwardly emotional is new to them. Jill however seemed flat and distant. And that could be attributed to so many things, many which have already been mentioned, like depression, a miscarriage, heat & exhaustion, 'acting', etc. Who knows maybe after reading so much stuff about herself she is second guessing everything she does on camera.

Personally I came from a non touchy-feely family, however my husband comes from a family of huggers. I pretty much have turned into the biggest hugger of Northeast now. So watch out if you see me coming.

• Love 14

I watched Little People Big World last nite.   Part of the show focused on Zachary & Tori visiting Jeremy & Audrey in their new apartment in a city about 3 hours away from the farm & their families.  It showed them doing "normal" things (taking a walk in a park, going to a rock climbing wall where Zach overcame his fear of heights (much better than the elevator scene with the Duggar girls), going out to dinner, etc.)  My favorite part was when they were just sitting around the apartment discussing & comparing married life. They were honest --  that everything in married life isn't wonderful, one of the couples mentioned having to deal with finances, and  no matter how long they were with each other before marriage, there were still surprises when you live with each other.  But unlike the high & mighty Dullards & Seewalds, they didn't act like they were the first couples to tackle marriage & be great at it. I think we were  expecting part of this Counting On episode to show  The Dullards & Seewalds sitting around discussing their married  lives like the Roloffs but we didn't see that & were just shown filler.  

• Love 6

Regarding my previous post, I just read on the Little People Big World site that evidently Jeremy & Audrey have started giving out marriage advice on their web site. Oh well, I thought they were different than the Duggar gals --  there's still  hope for Zach & Tori. 

• Love 5

Is it a sign of the decline when the past two episodes have been nothing, but filler? It's painful to watch Jill and Derrick on screen, almost more than Jessa & Ben---which surprises me, because if I had to like one of them I'd probably go for Jill. Jessa continues to remind me of Kate Gosling whenever she can Ben are doing an interview together or every time she corrects him. One day, I wanna see him explode---not be violent, just tell her to STFU. Until then, Counting On is just boring. 

• Love 7

I do remember the one scene where Derick and Jill were talking, and she said Derick told her not to be loud when she spoke. She said she was use to be loud because in a big family a person had to be in order to be heard. She also interrupts him when he talks or corrects him. I was hoping one day he would tell her to knock it off and stop the obnoxious giggling on camera.

3 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Regarding my previous post, I just read on the Little People Big World site that evidently Jeremy & Audrey have started giving out marriage advice on their web site. Oh well, I thought they were different than the Duggar gals --  there's still  hope for Zach & Tori. 

The more I think about it, I don't necessarily disagree with young marrieds offering marriage advice - but it needs to be in the context of "we are new at this, but here is how we managed such-and-such challenge; maybe this will be helpful to others who are still figuring things out." All these new discoveries are fresh for rookies and I think it could make them more relatable. But I am not impressed with know-it-all advice - from anyone. 

• Love 5
On 5/4/2016 at 10:34 PM, cmr2014 said:

I guess I missed something because I didn't hear either of them speaking Spanish beyond a quick "hola" here and there. The people who have sent them money for this "ministry" must be fuming. First, it was all the trips back to the US for this and that, but this time they were going and staying and taking immersion language classes. What do they do all day?

This was just embarrassing. TLC paid to fly all of those people to Central America for this?

ETA: OMG! How could I forget Jessa telling us that life in the mission field is "hard, really hard. They don't even have air conditioning."

I honestly don't think the people who sent them for their 'ministry' are self aware enough to see that the whole exercise of sending middle class, non-Spanish speaking evangelicals with no special skills in medicine, social work, or engineering to convert already Christian central Americans is pretty dumb.  I could easily see a leghumper watching this and thinking, "wow, they're really living the dream of being evangelists!"

• Love 9
On 5/7/2016 at 11:13 PM, Marigold said:

I agree with you. The Duggars are lacking in the "clean department".  (and cooking).  However, Michelle and Jessa seem aware enough to try ti cover it up.  The Duggar house is cleaned up for the cameras and Jessa's house looked pretty tidy except for cleaning under her bed! 

Jill's apartment was pretty trashed and she knew TLC would film her house.  Jill just can't pull it together?  It's the "can't even mangage to pull it together for TLC cameras" that makes me wonder if she is OK. She doesn't do much. Wouldn't you, at least, get a few boxes and dump your clutter crap in there when the camera is rolling? I have loaded clutter into a few boxes when company is coming! 

To me, that is just plain weird. TLC coming to film your home and you have crap piled all over.

I wonder if they don't think of being prepared for the cameras in the same way we do because they've basically grown up on TV.  Once you've been on the air in nasty flip flops with dirty feet, maybe it's just a hop skip and a jump to leaving the dirty plates out.

• Love 2

I wonder if they don't think of being prepared for the cameras in the same way we do because they've basically grown up on TV.  Once you've been on the air in nasty flip flops with dirty feet, maybe it's just a hop skip and a jump to leaving the dirty plates out.

I think it's a combination of this ^^^ and the fact that the Duggar homes have never been particularly clean or organized. Which is pretty much what you could expect from a family where children are responsible for most of the housework.

I even remember Josh making a comment about how dirty the TTH was in one episode (not sure which, but one where they were on the stink bus) and it sounded unusually honest because it was a throwaway comment, not a talking head.

Jill (and Jessa) are likely modelling their own homes based on how they grew up, and they grew up in an environment where a clean house wasn't a priority.

• Love 3

During the interview with Jinger where she giggled over there possibly being a guy, it made me wonder for the millioth time what the relationship between the crew and family is like when the cameras are off.  Do they joke around?  Does the crew get to hold babies?  Did the older kids learn about the real world from the crew?  I need to read a memoir from one of the production team.

Unrelated: can someone from an evangelical background talk about whether most evangelicals think Catholics are hell bound and in need of saving?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, polandspring said:

During the interview with Jinger where she giggled over there possibly being a guy, it made me wonder for the millioth time what the relationship between the crew and family is like when the cameras are off.  Do they joke around?  Does the crew get to hold babies?  Did the older kids learn about the real world from the crew?  I need to read a memoir from one of the production team.

Unrelated: can someone from an evangelical background talk about whether most evangelicals think Catholics are hell bound and in need of saving?

I can't speak for all of them, but most of the evangelicals I have known DO think Catholics are hell bound and in need of saving. Jill and Derick likely think so too. The Catholic church has changed a lot over the years, along with most other churches, but as far as I know, most Catholics still don't pray the almighty "sinner's prayer," the official one where you admit you need a savior and ask Jesus to come into your heart and forgive your sins. (Any Catholics, please feel free to correct me on this. I'm going by my mom's experience growing up Catholic.)

Ben has had plenty to say online about how wrong Catholics are and how desperately in need of saving they are. It's funny because looking from the outside, Catholics and evangelicals agree on almost everything. But to themselves, they are so very different.

• Love 6

Having never heard of sinner's prayer and being Catholic, I just googled it. We don't have something like that per se, but of course we do guilt and sin to perfection so in our ordinary creed and prayers, there is a mention of being guilty and whatnot. It's the Act of Contrition and Confession's prayer..

• Love 7

The "sinner's prayer" is a relatively new invention of the last couple hundred years so isn't present in Eastern Orthodoxy or Catholicism nor many of their more direct off-shoots.  It's mainly in the evangelical and fundie denominations and "non-denominational" churches. 

Some of that is what makes Jill and Derick's missioning so objectionable to many people in that they think their historically recent prayer takes precedence over nearly 2000 years of Christian practice, tradition, and theology.  The longer they go on, the more I think the local Catholic "heathens" could teach more of Christianity to Jill and Derick than Jill and Derick will ever be able to teach. 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Absolom said:

Some of that is what makes Jill and Derick's missioning so objectionable to many people in that they think their historically recent prayer takes precedence over nearly 2000 years of Christian practice, tradition, and theology.  The longer they go on, the more I think the local Catholic "heathens" could teach more of Christianity to Jill and Derick than Jill and Derick will ever be able to teach. 

This. This x 1,000

• Love 5
On 5/14/2016 at 0:41 PM, polandspring said:

An episode of 19 & Counting included some of the crew. They do joke around with them, hold babies, and actually redirect the kids if they're doing something wrong or dangerous. Jill actually was present in the hospital when a crew member delivered a preemie when they were in another country. It seems that many of the crew share at least Christian beliefs, although not Fundy.

Another bit of gossip that I heard about the TLC/Duggar crew is that way back when, one of the crew was gay. When Michelle found out she told TLC they couldn't work with him. According to this gossip, the crew member was fired.

• Love 2

Another bit of gossip that I heard about the TLC/Duggar crew is that way back when, one of the crew was gay. When Michelle found out she told TLC they couldn't work with him. According to this gossip, the crew member was fired.

I heard he was transferred to another crew on a different show.

• Love 6

I don't think so.  Most that I know don't.  I have a lot of Catholic friends (even married one).  I personally find there is too much division in the church and we waste our days arguing over such nonsense as whether to be sprinkled or dunked. 

On Topic:  I think since its reality tee vee that they can only document, not intervene (within reason, of course).  I'd love to hear the stories, I'm sure they have a lot!

• Love 2
(edited)
On 5/15/2016 at 3:18 PM, Marigny said:

What a biyotch! 

Contrast Michelle Duggar with Tammy Faye Bakker who embraced the gay community.

Can't work with him? Why not? Does she think that one can catch homosexuality or worried that the children might see a gay person (gasp) and want to become one? They could be having more fun. What an idiot. He should have refused to work with her!

The Duggar ignorance is just astounding.

Edited by Showthyme
  • Love 10
8 minutes ago, Showthyme said:

Can't work with him? Why not? Does she think that one can catch homosexuality or worried that the children might see a gay person (gasp) and want to become one? They could be having more fun. What an idiot. He should have refused to work with her!

Well because he was obviously a pervert and a molester if he was gay, right?  <eyeroll>  Can't have someone like that around the children.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, NikSac said:

Well because he was obviously a pervert and a molester if he was gay, right?  <eyeroll>  Can't have someone like that around the children.

But Josh was a safe bet around the children ;)

• Love 15
12 hours ago, ariel said:

But Josh was a safe bet around the children ;)

And DUI "black is the sexiest color" Dillon is fine, too.

• Love 4
(edited)

To be fair, in Josh's case Satan built a fortress around his heart. Satan - who can resist him? I for one am anticipating my ride to hell in a hand-basket, and plan to bring s'mores as a hostess gift.

Edited by MargeGunderson
Spelling and punctuation
  • Love 12

I remember my (Catholic) friend in the mid-90's who wanted to be a priest, asking me if my parents were amongst those evangelicals who thought Catholics were "yucky".  So I'd say it's eminently likely such an attitude still exists, and that she talked to more people than usual about church because of her own ministerial leanings.

Granted, a lot can happen in twenty years, but then again a lot does not.

• Love 1
On 5/15/2016 at 4:53 AM, becca3891 said:

I can't speak for all of them, but most of the evangelicals I have known DO think Catholics are hell bound and in need of saving. Jill and Derick likely think so too. The Catholic church has changed a lot over the years, along with most other churches, but as far as I know, most Catholics still don't pray the almighty "sinner's prayer," the official one where you admit you need a savior and ask Jesus to come into your heart and forgive your sins. (Any Catholics, please feel free to correct me on this. I'm going by my mom's experience growing up Catholic.)

Ben has had plenty to say online about how wrong Catholics are and how desperately in need of saving they are. It's funny because looking from the outside, Catholics and evangelicals agree on almost everything. But to themselves, they are so very different.

My high school was crawling with evangelicals and one of my classmates once explained to me the order in which people were going to hell -- and Catholics were first. When I asked he how he knew this, he told me he was taught this in Sunday School. i know -- lovely.

It's my understanding that evangelicals believe that Catholics are going to hell because of 1) The Pope -- they follow the orders of a mortal man, 2) The saints -- they "pray to statues" 3) They don't have a "personal relationship" with God/Jesus.

Old school  mainstream Protestants (of my mother's generation) are also bigoted toward Catholics because 1) The Pope -- they are sheep who blindly follow the dictates of an old man 2) They are superstitious and pray to saints and relics 3) They don't believe in birth control and have more children than they can afford.

I believe that there has been a bit of a detente between Protestants and Catholics for the past 30 years or so in an attempt to unite both groups into the Christian right.

• Love 4

The divide between Protestents and Catholics is still cooking; for some it's a pale simmer and for the more extreme believers on both sides it's a rolling boil. Deep fundy faithful believe Catholics are idolators and accuse them of worshipping Mary and basically deifying the saints (which effectively breaks the first of the ten commandments). They also have a big problem with the practice of confession and absolution, because the priest is acting as an intermediary between God and man. And of course there are Catholics who are convinced that Protestants are hellbound due to living outside the auspices of the one true holy and apostolic church.

I can hardly think of anything more pointless and ludicrous than fuming over the doctrinal differences of a virtually identical belief system. It's like Dr. Seuss's Sneetches.

I'm pretty sure the Duggar brand of arrogant religious bias falls in the Catholics-are-in-error-and-will-go-to-hell camp.

• Love 11
On 5/5/2016 at 3:51 PM, becca3891 said:

I really do find it incredibly condescending that they think a "conference" consisting of stilted cliches about how difficult and tiring motherhood is, is any kind of great blessing for the local women. What makes Jill more qualified to stand up there and pretend to be a motherhood expert than any of them? Nothing. It's a major "white savior" complex.

OMG, can I tell you, when the truck pulled up with all the ladies riding in the bed, all I could think was that there was a Production Assistant or someone yelling "OK, bring in the load of brown people!"  It was SOOOO awful.

On 5/15/2016 at 5:53 AM, becca3891 said:

But the thing is, we Catholics believe that Jesus already saved us. By his passion, death and Resurrection, he opened the gates of Heaven.  We know we are sinners and pray and Act of Contrition every Sunday at Mass. (Not to mention the Sacrament of Reconciliation --aka Confession --- when we ask God, through the Priest, to forgive us our sins which we specifically name.) But we don't need to "accept" Jesus as our Lord and Savior -- He already is.

• Love 12
On 5/16/2016 at 4:47 PM, Showthyme said:

It might stir up desires that cannot be righteously fulfilled.  Just the thought of actually knowing a gay person would freak them the f.. out.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, MamaMax said:

But the thing is, we Catholics believe that Jesus already saved us. By his passion, death and Resurrection, he opened the gates of Heaven.  We know we are sinners and pray and Act of Contrition every Sunday at Mass. (Not to mention the Sacrament of Reconciliation --aka Confession --- when we ask God, through the Priest, to forgive us our sins which we specifically name.) But we don't need to "accept" Jesus as our Lord and Savior -- He already is.

Is that a Protestant/Catholic divide or an Evangelical/Everyone else divide? I'm mainline (but very liberal) Protestant and my church also believes that we were saved through Easter and I've never heard of the Sinner's Prayer before this. My church does a weekly prayer of confession, a silent time for you to air out your dirty laundry with God and an assurance of pardon where we're reminded that God loves us and forgives us (because of Easter and general awesomeness).

• Love 3

Understandably there is some religion talk in this topic given the whole missionary thing, and we try to give a lot of leeway, so this is a very gentle reminder that general religion questions can be taken to the Gimme That Old Time Religion topic for further discussion. (That may be a run-on sentence for which I apologize)

Thanks!

• Love 4

I'm way late to this party. I remember seeing something about a new sister's series after all the drama with Josh last year but somehow I missed it actually coming on. So I'm now caught up to here!

So in this visit, Jessa said it had been 5 months since she saw Jill. But this is the 3rd family visit we've seen of various family members to go see Jill in that time! First was a lot of the family, minus Jana. Then Jim Bob and Michelle. Now this visit with Jessa and family and the girls. Wouldn't it be nice to move so far away to a less developed country and still have family visit like every 6-8 weeks??!! Heck I moved within the US (1000 miles from family) and only get to see them a couple times a year.

But really, this serious has been soo soo much repeated scenes and rehashing of the same stuff over and over. I am shocked theres another season. 

• Love 3