Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E08: Israel Meets Spurgeon

• Start Topic

When Jessa got to Jill's house they greeted each other like they had never met before. I didn't even pay attention to the rest of the episode because I was so struck by how awkward and cringe worthy that was. 

• Love 5

That Women's Conference was so pathetic. Considering the invited guests are poor, struggling and have few luxuries, would it have killed SOS to put together a nice luncheon? They could've also thrown together little gift bags with toiletries and other hygiene items. Instead the locals got a bottle of water and a sermon in mangled Spanish. Yay.

• Love 11
(edited)

Seriously, calling all Fine Arts Majors from the 50s, 60s and 70s...............................

Shouldn't this episode have been named ------

Madonna con Bambino meets San Giovanni Battista. 

I only see the Duggars in unwanted commercials, but the constant posing of the vapid mother of the chosen spawn of the next generation in her lap is so obvious it brings me back to my art history days  -- and of course -- several fun trips to Italy to view way too many religious paintings!

Edited by fonfereksglen
corrected for content
  • Love 1

Art historian here and I too thought of "The Visitation" when I saw that Jessa was going to see Jill (with babies already born, of course). Though that would make Jessa the Virgin Mary...

9 minutes ago, tabloidlover said:

I lost so many brain cells walking through this disaster of a series... 

I always read the east coast snark here, on FJ, and in a couple groups I belong to. That primes me for the shitfest to come, because being a work night, I can't rely on vino to keep me sane. 

I'm still LMAO that TLC promised the leghumpers life-changing news and never had any intention of delivering it. The preview of the taped segment with Benessa was done over two months ago when they did that awful photoshoot for crying out loud! 

The only thing that ruins my hypothesis is if someone miscarried last week, or Jinger's teased (but I never believed viable) courtship fell through. 

• Love 4

It struck me how lick an orphanage the Duggar house is.  For Jill and Jessa, visiting an orphanage must seem like very familiar territory to them, and we know how they only like what they already know.  They have no intellectual, emotional, or spiritual curiosity. An orphan adopted by one of them might be a step down for the kid.

• Love 8

I fell asleep somewhere near the end.

I agree with Marigold, hearing each Duggar say they want to adopt, and then hearing Jill and Jessa say they want to take all the kids home, rubbed me the wrong way too. It sounded so pretentious and self-righteous to me. 

I did get the impression though, that something is up with Jill and having a baby. My assumptions are that she miscarried and is still sad about it or she is finding motherhood difficult and is okay with not expecting her second child.

So, no big announcement? Was any indication given that there will be another season?

• Love 4

None of her siblings seem to like Jill. They actually seem to like Jessa better.  They are more animated when talking of Jessa.  I guess bitchy is better than tattletale.

• Love 9

I am so glad I didn't watch a minute of this pitiful series. Thanks everyone for your wonderful comments. 

Maybe the life changing announcement is cancellation. Preferably with a YouTube video of Jill 'n Jessa standing before almighty Jim Bob, taking their punishment for torching the family brand.

• Love 4
11 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

They use the wrong preposition and say "ON the field." It drives me nuts! 

Isn't that the standard conservative-Christian preposition, though? I don't know why it is, but I know I've read it tons of times. I always thought they must have brought it over from some old, now-forgotten quotation or something.

9 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Lily and Ellie's fan blog, not the Duggars themselves. See the bottom of their post. 

http://www.duggarfamilyblog.com/

eta: I read the comments on the blog (so far, just a few), and to a person, the leghumpers are pissed that they were misled about the "life-changing" announcement. One even came up with my theory! LOL

I followed that link and looked at the comments. It cracked me up that the leghumpers are upset with the lack of "life-changing" news/events in the episode. Of course, they are angry at, or disappointed by, TLC. Not the Duggars. IMO that's misdirected. The bottom line is that TLC has to work with what the Duggars give them. Perhaps the leghumpers would recognize that phrase about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? TLC could only script so many pseudo 'activities' to shoot for the show.

What the fanbase wants to see? Engagements, weddings, pregnancies, and babies. Others around here have already said that the Duggars just aren't coming up with any of those. Probably this is dead horse beating, but:

1. Engagements. There are still SIX single Duggar kids aged 18 and over. Despite their fame and relative wealth in fundie circles, even before last year's Joshgate scandals, Jim Bob wasn't finding people to court those six aging-in-place kids. There was only a whiff of a possible courtship (Marjorie and whatshisname) which went poof pretty fast. 

2. Weddings. Nada. See above.

3. Pregnancies. Jill is falling down on the job. She should be pregnant by now per her parents' teachings and beliefs. Jessa's not toeing the line either. Even if it's too soon for her to be knocked up again even under the Gothard/Christian Patriarchy belief system, she doesn't even talk a good game. She seems to think yakking about adopting is a substitute. The only one who seems into pumping out babies in the MEchelle mode is - Anna. Sadly, JoshUa's got a lot of problems right now and even before his serial sexual misbehavior was exposed, he didn't seem all that into the "be fruitful and multiply" thing. 

4. Babies. See above. Lame yakking about adoption is offered in lieu of the real deal.

Does anyone think that if Jill really had a recent miscarriage, it would have been kept secret and not splashed all over the place and milked for all it's worth by TLC and Duggar Enterprises? I don't. I know that's a very sensitive subject, but MEchelle paraded her pregnancies and stillborn baby shamelessly and totally in the media. We're talking about Duggars here. They have a TV franchise and a brand to keep going. 

Or, maybe Jill and Derick have gone through some issues (miscarriage, non-pregnancy-related health stuff, etc.) and elected to NOT go public. Which could account for the coldness between Jessa and Jill. I am 100% convinced that Jessa takes after her parents: anything at all interesting or dramatic or that would create interest in and sympathy for a Duggar? MUST be used to the max to keep their brand going.

Gosh. This is longer than I meant it to be. Sorry I got carried away but I'm going to put this out there anyway.

• Love 13
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I fell asleep somewhere near the end.

I agree with Marigold, hearing each Duggar say they want to adopt, and then hearing Jill and Jessa say they want to take all the kids home, rubbed me the wrong way too. It sounded so pretentious and self-righteous to me. 

I did get the impression though, that something is up with Jill and having a baby. My assumptions are that she miscarried and is still sad about it or she is finding motherhood difficult and is okay with not expecting her second child.

So, no big announcement? Was any indication given that there will be another season?

Remember Derick's cryptic message that they needed prayers and something wasn't good? Could this be what he was worried about Jill being pregnant and miscarrying? I can't see why they wouldn't disclose that since they wear pregnancy or a non-viable pregnancy  as badge of honor.

3 hours ago, ingenting said:

Same sex babies kissing each other?!  Filth! 

Izzy kissing Bam Bam was cute I have to admit. Izzy looked excited to have someone smaller than him to get to know.

Derick is far less caveman like than Bin. Jill might have won the husband pool based on that alone.

• Love 7
4 minutes ago, Fuzzysox said:

Remember Derick's cryptic message that they needed prayers and something wasn't good? Could this be what he was worried about Jill being pregnant and miscarrying? I can't see why they wouldn't disclose that since they wear pregnancy or a non-viable pregnancy  as badge of honor.

. . .

Derick is far less caveman like than Bin. Jill might have won the husband pool based on that alone.

Well said. As to that bolded comment, after snarking just a minute ago, it hit me that maybe Jill's having some issues related to being molested by Josh. Which I hope even that raging beeyotch Jessa wouldn't consider appropriate fodder for the media.

So I've swung from snarking at them as they're portrayed on their TV show, to feeling sorry for Jill if she's "walking through" any serious emotional problems. 

Still, I don't like or admire the Duggars. Any of them. 

• Love 5
34 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I followed that link and looked at the comments. It cracked me up that the leghumpers are upset with the lack of "life-changing" news/events in the episode. Of course, they are angry at, or disappointed by, TLC. Not the Duggars. IMO that's misdirected. The bottom line is that TLC has to work with what the Duggars give them. Perhaps the leghumpers would recognize that phrase about not being able to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear? TLC could only script so many pseudo 'activities' to shoot for the show.

What the fanbase wants to see? Engagements, weddings, pregnancies, and babies. Others around here have already said that the Duggars just aren't coming up with any of those. Probably this is dead horse beating, but:

1. Engagements. There are still SIX single Duggar kids aged 18 and over. Despite their fame and relative wealth in fundie circles, even before last year's Joshgate scandals, Jim Bob wasn't finding people to court those six aging-in-place kids. There was only a whiff of a possible courtship (Marjorie and whatshisname) which went poof pretty fast. 

2. Weddings. Nada. See above.

3. Pregnancies. Jill is falling down on the job. She should be pregnant by now per her parents' teachings and beliefs. Jessa's not toeing the line either. Even if it's too soon for her to be knocked up again even under the Gothard/Christian Patriarchy belief system, she doesn't even talk a good game. She seems to think yakking about adopting is a substitute. The only one who seems into pumping out babies in the MEchelle mode is - Anna. Sadly, JoshUa's got a lot of problems right now and even before his serial sexual misbehavior was exposed, he didn't seem all that into the "be fruitful and multiply" thing. 

4. Babies. See above. Lame yakking about adoption is offered in lieu of the real deal.

Does anyone think that if Jill really had a recent miscarriage, it would have been kept secret and not splashed all over the place and milked for all it's worth by TLC and Duggar Enterprises? I don't. I know that's a very sensitive subject, but MEchelle paraded her pregnancies and stillborn baby shamelessly and totally in the media. We're talking about Duggars here. They have a TV franchise and a brand to keep going. 

Or, maybe Jill and Derick have gone through some issues (miscarriage, non-pregnancy-related health stuff, etc.) and elected to NOT go public. Which could account for the coldness between Jessa and Jill. I am 100% convinced that Jessa takes after her parents: anything at all interesting or dramatic or that would create interest in and sympathy for a Duggar? MUST be used to the max to keep their brand going.

Gosh. This is longer than I meant it to be. Sorry I got carried away but I'm going to put this out there anyway.

The weddings got ratings, but the younger children and the bedlam they created were the main fodder for episode content. And they live with the now toxic Jimbob and Michelle, so we don't get any bedlam anymore, it's just the 16 and older ones on their very best vanilla and generic behaviour. 

• Love 4
(edited)

I didn't think it was possible for this to be worse than last week but it was. The whole " there is a n epic announcement " and then nothing? And a re hash of Jill's wedding? SNOOZE.

Also..the singing they did...why. So awkward, they can't sing, and at least sing in Spanish!!!

I'm a little disappointing, I was looking forward to snarking on whatever announcement there was. UGH

14 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Last night I kind of thought we could add Jill to the list of Dugaars that are over it.  She kind of seemed like she wanted the cameras out of her face.

God I hope so, I think Derrick has been over it for a while. Maybe that's why there was no announcement. I would have respect for them if they quit the show. 

Edited by yogi2014L
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

Last night I kind of thought we could add Jill to the list of Dugaars that are over it.  She kind of seemed like she wanted the cameras out of her face.

It's possible she's learned that she doesn't have to be filmed 24/7 to make a living, since the Dillards now have a new way of grifting a living, and doesn't like the hassle.  Or being out from under the thumb of Jim-Bob has allowed her to think a little bit, maybe with Derek's help.  One can hope.

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, flyingdi said:

None of her siblings seem to like Jill. They actually seem to like Jessa better.  They are more animated when talking of Jessa.  I guess bitchy is better than tattletale.

I like Jessa better than Jill too.

Jessa is bitchy but there is something about Jill that is off. She is also emotionally aloof or detached. Very Michelle-like. To me, Jessa seems more normal. I know plenty of people who are bitches and I manage to work/deal with them. Might not like Jessa but I "get" her.  We all know the prissy bitch girl from high school. 

I don't know anyone like Jill so I feel very disconnected to her...I can't relate her to real life. Ya know what I mean? I look at her with my face wrinkled up like "what's wrong with you?"

Even the husbands...Ben is like many young men his age...a know it all, kinda stupid, wearing the hat backwards...I can "get" him even if I don't like him.  I have NO idea what the hell is going on with Derick.  Like Jill, i think he is a nutter and I can't find any part of his personality I can relate to or make a connection to. 

Jill and Derick are strange people. I predict they will get stranger and stranger as time goes on...

Edit to add: Just reading above that maybe Jill is having a crisis after all the Josh stuff came out...could be. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 10
(edited)

To the older girls, Jill may seem like a goody two shoes and a toady little bootlicker. You wouldn't confide in Jill, she relishes being a JimChelle proxy. 

Don't know how her marriage will work out. Derick seems to like being by himself, Jill wants to be with him 24/7. Their weird courtship/evaluation to determine if they each were basically "fit for purpose" was friggen weird, and their honeymoon & pregnancy season made them look like super polite acquaintance roomies who have a friend in common, not husband and wife. 

Edited by ingenting
  • Love 6
(edited)

I think that Jill is also a very serious person.  Heads, I think, has a sense of humor.  It may  be easier for her siblings to relate to her because of that.  I sometimes Think Jill would need to be told something was a joke.

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 4

Jill and Jessa want to be pregnant at the same time. Are they going to coordinate their sexual moments via FaceTime? Also, none of them will adopt. No matter how much they research it. Please don't bore us with another season, TLC. Take these clowns off of TV completely.

• Love 3

Jill is a very serious, boring person. Even when Derrick cracks jokes she immediately takes the fun out of it and doesn't play along. Out of all the Duggar kids she was the chief Kool-aid drinker. She doesn't seem to have lightened up any with marriage.

As for Derick, I predict a lot of weed smoking in his future, otherwise he might throw himself off a mountain.

I agree Izzy and Spurgeon were the best part of the episode. It was really sweet how Izzy was so affectionate with his cousin.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, yogi2014L said:

I didn't think it was possible for this to be worse than last week but it was. The whole " there is a n epic announcement " and then nothing? And a re hash of Jill's wedding? SNOOZE.

Also..the singing they did...why. So awkward, they can't sing, and at least sing in Spanish!!!

I'm a little disappointing, I was looking forward to snarking on whatever announcement there was. UGH

God I hope so, I think Derrick has been over it for a while. Maybe that's why there was no announcement. I would have respect for them if they quit the show. 

I agree with the girl's singing.  They couldn't have at least tried to learn a verse or two in Spanish?  Jill seems like she has totally given up on learning and or speaking Spanish.  I think she grasped more on the episode when she put all the Spanish words on sticky notes & hung them on things in the TTH way back when.  Now it's like a lightbulb goes off in her head like "Oops, I should have answered her in Spanish."  I hope they (Derick) is teaching Spanish to Izzy.  After reading the different posts, I'm thinking that all of Joshley's scandals are catching up with Jill but just like Anna, I don't see her getting any help in tackling them.  Speaking of Anna, I did like the comments about the births & weddings not being the same when it's a brother & sister-in-law.  Since she has been in every episode or thereabouts, I wonder if Anna was miffed she wasn't included in the finale since she considers herself a "sister".  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Fuzzysox said:

I think Derick's concern was that the show has not been renewed (yet).  The Duggar Family Blog is concerned, too:

"Tonight is the season finale of Counting On. TLC has not made any announcements regarding the future of the series, but without support from fans, the show will surely die. 

"Let's flood the internet with positive feedback! Here's how you can help: 

"1. Post your comments to our blog. 
2. Mention the show on social media using the hashtag #BringtheDuggarsBack.
3. Submit your feedback to TLC. Click here to find out how."

The "Click here" is a link to TLC's feedback page:

https://corporate.discovery.com/contact/viewer-relations

So, feel free to give TLC your opinion and use that hashtag (#BringtheDuggarsBack) to post your own views about whether this show should continue!

0 I Say.jpeg

The Duggars have been going to "Central America" for years and they don't know any Christian songs in Spanish?  That is ridiculous!

And I wonder how long it is acceptable to hug and kiss a baby?  I don't recall any of the little girls getting kissed by other family members. There must be a rule about it--maybe after the child is two years old it's side hugs only!

• Love 5

I hope Jill goes full-on dirty hippie.  Like, she stops shaving, stops showering/hair becomes dreadlocks, and as someone mentioned above for Derick, starts smoking a lot of pot!  Maybe even going on Phish or WSP tour.  Please please please let this happen!

Jessa, though mostly a snotty bitch, made me laugh when she was imitating Jill when she first met Derick (or first got engaged or something....can't remember exactly).  It was pure awesome!

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Micks Picks said:

It struck me how lick an orphanage the Duggar house is.  For Jill and Jessa, visiting an orphanage must seem like very familiar territory to them, and we know how they only like what they already know.  They have no intellectual, emotional, or spiritual curiosity. An orphan adopted by one of them might be a step down for the kid.

That's just because of Josie. 

"On the field"sounds like they are playing baseball for Jesus. Now taking the mound: SATAN!

Josh is up, with two strikes. Will he hit a home run this time, or are we about to learn of his third strike?

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 10

I flipped over to the show once and saw the whole big clan of them in Central America and thought "couldn't they have saved the money and supported the Dillards?"  That was enough for me.  I went back to my other channel and the commercials were more interesting.  I agree with those who said if they are going to sing at least learn one song in Spanish.  As part of their homeschooling, do they even learn a 2nd language?

• Love 1

I saw Jill sitting at their last supper together with what looked to be a nursing cover over her. I don't know how much they are actually "trying" to get pregnant. She likely haven't even had a cycle yet since being pregnant. 

• Love 1
(edited)

So much interesting in this thread. Unlike the show. Izzy loved Spurgeon awww. It really was awww for me, not even snarking. I didn't find Jessa bitchy, just confident and even toned down since becoming a mom. I love how the unmarried are thrown in the back of the truck like cattle. The marrieds sit in front. I know, they can't all fit in the front, but seemed odd to me that Bin couldn't be a gentleman and at least offer his front seat to Jana or Cinnamon . Maybe he did, but knowing the value of breeding stock I doubt it. 

Maybe derelict thinks he's a hipster and just grew a beard... there hipster.

derelict was an autocorrect and I like it. He would fit in Bin's inner city stumbling around enjoying a beverage from a brown paper bag. 

Edited by sometimesy
  • Love 9

I can't believe none of you guys picked up on what Derick said about being on his fake mission trip with a young Izzy. He said " I thought it would be better now before he starts having to make friends at home and going to school!!"

I hope he doesn't get talked out of sending him to school. Jill is ill equipped to teach her son anything. Something is really off about her. She seems to be lost in life. No goals. No education she looks depressed and hopeless.

• Love 14

So...What footage have they created this season that they can repeat next season? Will they create wholly meta episodes consisting entirely of repeats of stuff they've already repeated? Inquiring minds -- and aspiring reality-tv producers -- want to know. And how many episodes can you tease with a tagline like "Tune in for the announcement of a life-changing event"? Especially once people know that it's more likely to be just a diaper-changing event. Network execs want to know the answer to that one.

• Love 2

Perhaps episodes about each kid cobbled together from existing footage. Don't know if they've got enough footage that isn't of the J'Slaves, Jackson, Johannah or latest tiny precious addition Josie, though.  

• Love 1

I can't believe none of you guys picked up on what Derick said about being on his fake mission trip with a young Izzy. He said " I thought it would be better now before he starts having to make friends at home and going to school

That was the only interesting moment of the whole snoozefest. I thought I might have heard wrong because both attending school and making friends are outside the Duggar playbook. I hope they do send Israel to actual school. It would be a real education for Jill to have a son living closer to a normal life!

• Love 5
(edited)
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

At least Seinfeld was funny. These idiots aren't even unintentionally humorous. 

Oh sure they are - just VERY rarely. Although Ben is accidentally funny on just about every show. ?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

I noticed the contrast between Izzy & Sprugie too. It really surprised me at first because Jill seemed more caring and interested in her buddies. She has always been the most noticeable Koolaide drinking of the bunch, but I thought she had a natural 'heart for children'. But it appears she is emulating her mother.

Jessa, I believe is reading parenting books, because during a mini interview with Ben and some BILs he mentioned the importance of "facetime" with Spurge. While his choice of wording was a bit off the advice was appropriate.

Spurgie is more verbal than Izzy and seems more interested and aware of his surroundings. Kind of backwards considering their ages.

• Love 3