Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E22: Live Top 10 Eliminations

• Start Topic

Wow that was a lopsided vote. Pharrell didn't put up much a fight. At least Daniel got a nice Pharrell pep talk on his way out the door. I would love to get my own Pharrell pep talk.

I completely tune out of Carson's beauty pageant like questions so I was shocked when Adam started talking about how great Nick's answer was. Who knew they actually said useful things? 

With Daniel gone maybe I can actually start remembering who Nick is.

• Love 2
(edited)

It was time for Daniel to go. He knew it. I thought he had a lovely voice but made very poor song choices. 

I missed the Sawyer year. That's an unusual look ( no judgment....)

Edited by Quickbeam
Forgot to add
  • Love 2

Well, if there was a show called The Poser, Daniel would've been the odds on favorite to win. He sure did more posing than singing. His version of Uptown Funk made me want to delete the original off of my iPod Classic (yes, I still have one). What a putrid, puerile version of that song.

It was nice to see Sawyer back. It made me want to download his single and I wasn't a huge fan of his during his season.

Christina, jade eye shadow is not your friend. You looked like the lady on Drew Carey's show from the 1990s.

• Love 4

I Pod Classic here, too. Can't beat the 130 GB of storage!

I see Sawyer's act is basically the same. Stand in one place, hide behind guitar, use good conditioner. 

Yeah, it was Daniel's time. Thank god that the stupid Twitter save didn't screw it up.

• Love 7

I freaking love my iPod Classic, click wheel for the win!

I would have been fine sending both Daniel and Nick home. Since that wasn't an option, Daniel deserved to go more for even attempting Uptown Funk. Does he not have any friends or family who could have talked him out of that embarrassment?

• Love 6

I have found my people, I still use my iPod classic every day! Love it! As far as the show goes? The right two were in the bottom and it was time for Daniel to go home. I did feel bad for him, he looked so sad all night; he knew he was going home, just like Owen last week. I feel like these contestants are much worse at the poker faces this year then other years. Nothing wrong with that, it just seems that everyone up on that stage is much more emotional this year.

• Love 3

Never have I seen such a boring panel of individuals... both singers and coaches...  It was the television equivalent of taking a Xanax or other drug that one takes when they are trying to level off the highs and lows... and I truly believe they could have continued the show for another eight hours without falling upon something interesting to say.  Now, I'm aware it's a singing competition... and all the inane platitudes and cliched responses could be forgiven if there was some good music happening... but it was like a loop of Muzak and infomercials that gradually descended into white noise for me.

And this is coming from someone who loves singing competition shows.

Someone needs to come up with a singing show that combines smack talking with music... you get 50% points for singing well... and 50% for some type of creative critique of your opponent.  This politically correct care bear my little pony shit has got to come to an end.  I've seen sermons that had more edge than this.

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, Sentient Meat said:

Someone needs to come up with a singing show that combines smack talking with music... you get 50% points for singing well... and 50% for some type of creative critique of your opponent. 

I'd watch that every day.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, ChicksDigScars said:

I see Sawyer's act is basically the same. Stand in one place, hide behind guitar, use good conditioner.

But he did have some grit in his voice he didn't have before, and now I can actually see him developing into an interesting singer. But he should probably do something different with his hair if he wants to be taken seriously.

1 hour ago, lanter said:

I would have been fine sending both Daniel and Nick home. Since that wasn't an option, Daniel deserved to go more for even attempting Uptown Funk. Does he not have any friends or family who could have talked him out of that embarrassment?

Or his coach? As soon as his song selection was announced I knew he was a goner. His performance was so bad it made me feel a little sorry for him, even though I'd been rooting for his elimination for weeks. Hopefully next week we can finally say goodbye to Nick too.

Before I had a DVR I used to skip the results show entirely and just come to the forum to learn what happened. Tonight I fast forwarded through everything but Carson's announcements. Sitting through that entire hour of beauty pageant questions and the coaches saying "you're the most amazing rainbow colored unicorn ever" would be excruciating. (Actually, I fast forward through pretty much everything the coaches say on Monday night also).

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 1

Buh-bye Daniel.  You came, you sang, you occasionally screeched, you did not conquer.  It would have been better if Nick could have left with you.  He won't last much longer either.  Oh, and Daniel, you did not uptown funk me up. No, you did not.  I remain unfunked.   

• Love 3

Hey - you know how sometimes you hear a lyric, and you know it has to be wrong because it's too stupid to make any sense?  That's what my brain does every time I hear "cake by the ocean."  I'm also pretty sure Sawyer was singing about smallpox last night.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Muffyn said:

. Oh, and Daniel, you did not uptown funk me up. No, you did not.  I remain unfunked.   

Really! That was such a white bread version. I came in on the tail end but...oh it was not funky!

• Love 2

As soon as they announced that Daniel was going to sing Uptown Funk, I knew that he was going to be the one to get voted off the island.  Why do these singers insist on doing recent songs that are still closely associated with the artist that made them a hit? Don't they realize that comparison is inevitable, and that it's the first thing that people do?  Not mention someone as whitebread-looking as Daniel, speaking as one myself, not recognizing the incongruity of Song vs Look in this instance. 

• Love 2

Kinda figured it was going to be Daniel without question since he'd been there before.  Nick still has the Bash fan contingent, which is all I really think is getting him through at this point.

In my dream world the eliminations over the next weeks will be (in order of who I want booted)  Nick, Mary,  Shalyah, , Bryan, Hannah, Paxton, Laith, leaving Adam and Alison to duke it out for the crown.  

According to the TV listings, we should go from Top 9 to Top 8 next Monday.  The semifinals would be on May 16, when we'll lose half the artists to get down to the final 4, with the final performance show on May 23.  At least that's a little better than last season when we lost 5 of 9 during the semifinals.

At this point I hope Nick goes next and that Alison, Adam, Hannah and Laith make the finals.  But this could change depending on how contestants perform over the next couple of weeks.

(edited)
17 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

I completely tune out of Carson's beauty pageant like questions so I was shocked when Adam started talking about how great Nick's answer was. Who knew they actually said useful things? .

I actually fast forward through the beauty pageant questions.  They add nothing to the show as far as I'm concerned.

And I kind of hate the lose-half-the-group...trickle, trickle, trickle...lose-half-the-group format.  Cutting the teams in half, then removing one by one just doesn't make a lot of sense to me. 

Edited by MaryPatShelby
(edited)

Daniel's performance of Uptown Funk was one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time. I feel for the guy, I really do, but whatever possessed him to pick that song? The outfit! The "dancing!"  The lyric scrambles! (Did he really sing "smoother than a fresh wrap skippy?" What does he think a "fresh wrap skippy" is? It's "fresh jar of Skippy," Daniel - like the creamy peanut butter.) The look on Pharrell's face the one brief moment the camera focused on him! There's such a disconnect between who Daniel actually is as a performer and who he seems to think he is. I thought, given how well he seemed to do against Owen last time, that he'd make a better showing against Nick . . . until he started to sing. Then I knew he was toast - without Skippy.

Edited by Ketzel
  • Love 7
3 minutes ago, Ketzel said:

There's such a disconnect between who he actually is as a performer and who he seems to think he is.

And if I could say one more thing, I think this disconnect (for all contestants) comes from the coaches praising everyone to the heavens and constantly assuring them that, as our learned colleague stated above, they are "the most amazing rainbow colored unicorn ever". Who wouldn't think they're a better performer than they are?

50 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

And if I could say one more thing, I think this disconnect (for all contestants) comes from the coaches praising everyone to the heavens and constantly assuring them that, as our learned colleague stated above, they are "the most amazing rainbow colored unicorn ever". Who wouldn't think they're a better performer than they are?

Are you saying you missed Xtina's not so subtle critiques from seasons past? :)

5 hours ago, DownTheShore said:

Not mention someone as whitebread-looking as Daniel, speaking as one myself, not recognizing the incongruity of Song vs Look in this instance. 

Maybe he should've tried "Ice Ice Baby" instead?

• Love 2

I missed Daniel's funk, or apparently non-funk, because I fell asleep during one of the beauty pageant questions. And... Dear Mentors, please teach your singers how to enunciate. When the background singers can enunciate more clearly than your singer can, there's something wrong, don't'cha' think?

• Love 2

I just want to thank you all, because I usually unabashedly skip the results show and come here to find out what happened.  So thank you to our lovely recapper and you diehard fans willing to suffer through all the schmaltz and filler to give your weaker-stomached brethren the scoop.

Hells no was I going to watch a results show with a Jonas brother on it.

• Love 1

Sitting through that entire hour of beauty pageant questions and the coaches saying "you're the most amazing rainbow colored unicorn ever" would be excruciating.

Are you saying you missed Xtina's not so subtle critiques from seasons past? :)

Heh.  I agree, the coaches haven't figured this part out yet.  I think they're being lazy this season.  Adam, Blake, and definitely Christina have given more constructive feedback at various times in the past.  Pharrell has always been about unicorns.

At least Christina has stopped saying "love".  That was driving me nuts.

Sawyer returns .... zzzz ...