Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E23: Vartius

• Start Topic

6 minutes ago, CheshireCat said:

Well, Dalton says the replacement hasn't unofficially accepted the unofficial offer yet. And yet, the wife already put the name on the list.

Reminds me of the time Stella went and had curtains made for Ilaro Court.  She was so sure Bernard was going to win the elections... 

On 2016-06-02 at 10:15 PM, CheshireCat said:

Well, Dalton says the replacement hasn't unofficially accepted the unofficial offer yet. And yet, the wife already put the name on the list. I would think that she would put the name on the list after she and her husband agreed that he was going to (unofficially) accept or her husband told her that he was going to (unofficially) accept. That's where the confusion (if you want to call it that) came from. It sounded as if the wife decided her husband was going to (unofficially) accept before the husband did/had told the President he was going to (unofficially) accept.

I didn't see anything that made me think the wife decided anything, officially or unofficially. I don't specifically recall that it was the wife who put their name down, but even if it was, to me that doesn't imply she is assuming or deciding anything for her husband - simply that they're preparing in case the job does end up coming through. And keep in mind, even if he decided to accept the offer, he might not be elected (and therefore wouldn't need to be in DC).

1 hour ago, secnarf said:

And keep in mind, even if he decided to accept the offer, he might not be elected (and therefore wouldn't need to be in DC).

I thought the position of SoS was an appointed post?  IOW, no election?

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Netfoot said:

I thought the position of SoS was an appointed post?  IOW, no election?

Sorry, that was a bit of a grammar fail on my part - the first "he" referred to the potential SOS and the second "he" referred to Dalton :P If Dalton is not re-elected, he cannot appoint anybody to SoS.

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

Sorry, that was a bit of a grammar fail on my part - the first "he" referred to the potential SOS and the second "he" referred to Dalton :P If Dalton is not re-elected, he cannot appoint anybody to SoS.

Even if Dalton is re-elected and he wanted to replace his current SoS, that person would have to be confirmed by the Senate. The same is true if he had to replace his current VP because of health issues before any new election.

(edited)
20 hours ago, secnarf said:

I didn't see anything that made me think the wife decided anything, officially or unofficially. I don't specifically recall that it was the wife who put their name down,

They said the wife "moved heaven and earth" to put their child on the waiting list.

It's really no big deal, I would just assume the wife moving heaven and earth meant the husband had decided to unofficially accept. You don't really move heaven and earth when you don't know if hubby's going to decline or not, do you? But maybe the wife was simply quicker with the school than the husband was talking to Dalton. As I said, no big deal, just struck me as odd.

On a different note - I guess the neighbors would be thrilled if Bess became VP ;-)

Edited by CheshireCat
  • Love 1

Re-watched the episode and realized that Mike B says that the guy they wanted as Bess' replacement would be better because he's from a purple state. I never noticed it before but isn't Bess from Virginia? I know it's been leaning blue as of late but as far as I know, it's still considered a purple state, too. And it's got a lot of electoral votes. I wonder if that got overlooked because the show is filmed in CA and filmed in NY.

Edited by CheshireCat