Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Captive

• Start Topic

So, I'm right now trying to make my way through this episode and... the walking dead I'm supposed to be fearing are all of these completely soulless characters, right?

And if they wanted to make a show about pirates and shit they should just have done a show about pirates and shit. Don't see the point of all of this in a freaking zombie show.

• Love 6

Coming to the Discovery Channel this summer, from the makers of "Naked and Afraid" comes "Pirates and Shit."

What say we all take up a collection to buy Nick a comb and some cream rinse?

I was pretty sick with a high fever while I watched this episode. At one point I feel asleep long enough to dream that Michael Emerson had joined the cast. Alas, it was just a dream.

• Love 7

So, I finished the episode. I don't know how they manage to make everything so dull. Nice to see Alex again. Still has more spark than most of them. I'm glad they finally got rid of Jake. The kid was dead weight even in the plane webseries.

The Alicia/Jack thing was just super cringe-y.

• Love 1
On 05/09/2016 at 9:19 AM, Jel said:

I think I am one of the few here who really likes this show, but I have to say that confounded me, too.  I took it to mean it forced her to break her own moral code, killing an actual alive person, but, in that context, it was a moral act because it  was actually merciful, preventing him from a death by drowning, (that he specifically asked her not to let happen.)  So, she's a very moral person, who now, having violated her morals, becomes excessively vengeful and instantly immoral by endangering the lives of everyone on the Abigail, even Madison and Chris, and Alisha, who begged for help for her and the kid.

She had already killed a woman who was bitten, but was still alive, in the plane webseries.  And, IIRC, she killed those two other dudes in the raft who wanted to get rid of jake. I think she was supposed to be pretty obsessed with Jake because she felt indebted to him and wanted to protect him, so having to kill him was a big deal to her.

I like Michelle a lot in this role. I hope they give her the chance to keep expanding it. Alex and Daniel (and Nick sometimes) are the only ones that have a little spark, for me. The rest are quite meh. So meh.

1 hour ago, natyxg said:

And if they wanted to make a show about pirates and shit they should just have done a show about pirates and shit. Don't see the point of all of this in a freaking zombie show.

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

Coming to the Discovery Channel this summer, from the makers of "Naked and Afraid" comes "Pirates and Shit."

Pirates and Shit - band name; called it

• Love 5

I think she was supposed to be pretty obsessed with Jake because she felt indebted to him and wanted to protect him, so having to kill him was a big deal to her.

And that was based on, she thinks she took his mother's standby seat? That was ridiculous too. People on the plane were not any safer than those on the ground. Her guilt should have disappeared at least after they crashed.

• Love 3

I actually didn't mind this episode as much as the previous ones, at least it had a little more action.  Madison continues to bug.  Her junkie son is one of the most capable ADULTS on the ship, so let him do things.  By refusing to allow him to confront any possible danger in favor of a less capable "adult" doing it, you're just endangering everyone else.  I really, REALLY dislike the character.

I believe in real time this episode only took place a few weeks after the very start of the apocalypse so maybe the Mexicans haven't yet realized that money is now worthless?  I'm sure many people (obviously Madison) are still in the mindset that this is a temporary situation and everything will eventually return back to normal. 

Chris continues to be totally useless.  Someone just kill that kid off already.  Gah.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, smartymarty said:

And that was based on, she thinks she took his mother's standby seat? That was ridiculous too. People on the plane were not any safer than those on the ground. Her guilt should have disappeared at least after they crashed.

I imagine that's why because it was the last thing they had her say as the plane went down: that she took his mother's seat and he should've been with his mother at that moment, or something like that.

Yeah, it's a bit of a stretch.

• Love 1
On 5/9/2016 at 10:08 PM, xaxat said:

Too much "This is the way we are now!" exposition! 

They only succeeded because they were facing a crew so incompetent that they were defeated by a single walker and a guy who literally had both hands tied behind his back!

So true!  Madison's would've been completely hosed if the pirates decided to show up with more men or bring a single gun.

On 5/9/2016 at 10:12 PM, tiredofwork said:

All in all I just don't think anything happened. I know it was supposed to look like it did but to me.., no.

I asked this once before and still no answer.  Is this yacht nuclear powered? Otherwise, where is the fuel coming from?

Someone already answered this but since I can't erase the quote at this point (someone show me how), I'll go ahead and respond.  I would assume a fully fueled yacht could easily make it from LA to Mexico.  The real question is why it's taking them so long to get there.

On 5/9/2016 at 10:22 PM, Amelie06 said:

Chris is a whiny liability. He seems totally incapable of staying on task.

I was beginning to like Chris when he was helping the prepper son dispatch walkers.  I thought he was beginning to adapt to this new world.  Since then he's screwed up several times.  He wandered off during the foraging expedition on the beach.  He kept screaming should "I shoot?" when the pirates boarded the boat.  Now he offed the hostage that they were going to use for leverage to get his father back.

That said, the real blame lies with the adults.  If Chris makes these kinds of mistakes then they need to stop giving him jobs of any real importance.

On 5/9/2016 at 11:12 PM, riverheightsnancy said:

Well, he did lead thousands of walkers to the detention center and single handedly killed lots if people because of it, so...

On 5/9/2016 at 11:22 PM, truelovekiss said:

Yeah, but none of his people died, so in walking dead terms, that was a success.

Hahaha!

On 5/9/2016 at 9:19 AM, Jel said:

Maybe we'll see her join up with a, as someone else said, one-armed Connor and spurned Jack and they'll become serious baddies together.

This isn't a bad idea.  One of the things that the Walking Dead has never given us is the birth of these villains.  It would be nice to see an originally moral person turn into a Governor or a Negan.  

BTW, I love the "Chaka" nickname for Alex.  To be honest, I'm digging the frizzy haired look on her.  I hope she keeps it.

On 5/9/2016 at 0:10 PM, kj4ever said:

Does anyone know how old Ofelia is supposed to be?  Her Nick scenes seem weird because she looks like she could be his Mother or Aunt or something.

I assume early to mid twenties.  She definitely seems older than Nick but no way could she be his mother.  If anything, I'm surprised Nick is only supposed to be 19.  I thought he was in his twenties as well.

On 5/9/2016 at 0:57 PM, misstwpherecool said:

Some revenge for Alex! - YES, still need more.

My guess is the captain or strand was on her list as well. A few epi's back when she questioned them debating to let them board you knew she would be back. That was a set up for future epis.

That's actually a good idea to set up shop on that dry docked ship. Walkers can't do ladders.

Yeah but they can still surround it.  That makes it difficult to leave the boat when you need to.  If I'm going to live on a boat then I want it fully functional and in the water so I can move it when I need to.  

On 5/9/2016 at 1:45 PM, meep.meep said:

If Travis hadn't suggested towing Alex and the boy in the raft, then what did she think was going to happen?  Strand wasn't letting her on board, and the shore was covered with zombies.  They could have died right there, died in the water, or died on shore.  Travis did her a favor.

Travis originally was doing her a favor, however, towing them out to the open ocean and then cutting them loose left them worse off.  They would've been better off staying in the raft near shore.  Zombies can't swim and she could've paddled along the coastline until she found a safe place to come ashore.

On 5/9/2016 at 3:52 PM, LocimusPrime said:

3. If they need some more money to pay the Mexican Flotilla, why not port at the next city and head to the first bank they see;  I'm sure security officers aren't working and they could get access to the vaults using all sorts of unused equipment still available or head to a bunch of jewelry stores and pay for passage in gold/ diamonds. I'm sure they could just kill and loot a bunch of walkers as well. 

These guys aren't zombie killing machines like Rick & co.  The possibility of battling the dead keeps them on the boat.  Luis may have the skills to try something like that but I get the impression his ticket to the zombie free zone has already been paid.  Nick is qualified to scavenge on land but his mom won't let him go.

Excuse me, but I'm still hung up on the fact that that was actually Jesse McCartney (!). I must be the right age because I remember him quite vividly as the prototypical teenage heartthrob. When he was mentioned in last week's episode thread I thought huh he must have changed a lot. This week I actually paid attention and thought Jack looked nothing like him. And then I realized he was playing Reed. Never in a million years would I have expected him to play a homicidal creep, it seemed he escaped puberty with his good looks intact. On the other hand, that was more than 10 years ago, so I guess it figures (although I also didn't realize it's been more than 10 years, heh).

He actually had a pretty respectable career as a musician. For those curious, this is probably his most memorable hit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ek2PDE1cAyY

Not much to say about the episode. Slow moving it was not (they resolved that plot much quicker than I expected) but neither was it terribly compelling. I did think the walker exchange was cool.

4 hours ago, lezlers said:

I believe in real time this episode only took place a few weeks after the very start of the apocalypse so maybe the Mexicans haven't yet realized that money is now worthless?  I'm sure many people (obviously Madison) are still in the mindset that this is a temporary situation and everything will eventually return back to normal. 

Have Strand and his friend talked to the Mexicans? Because maybe they already know money is useless now, but Strand and his friend don't know they know. If things in Mexico are as bad as things in the States, there's a fair chance Strand and company won't find anything but zombies waiting for them.

(edited)
On 5/9/2016 at 10:12 PM, tiredofwork said:

All in all I just don't think anything happened. I know it was supposed to look like it did but to me.., no.

I asked this once before and still no answer.  Is this yacht nuclear powered? Otherwise, where is the fuel coming from?

I was bored so I did some checking. I don't know what kind of yacht the Abigail is, but this one seems to be in a similar luxury class and length.

Its listed range is 4,500 miles. (Fifteen thousand gallon fuel capacity.)

I think they are in pretty good shape when it comes to that.

Edited by xaxat
On 5/9/2016 at 3:39 PM, BananaRama said:

I really like Fear the Walking Dead so I try to make excuses or think of reasons for the characters' stupid behavior.  Stupid behavior such as; why didn't Maddie bring a gun with her to the prisoner exchange, and why is Maddie standing around while Travis headbutts the bad guy, and so on.  The only explanation I have is that these folks were just regular people a few months ago and they haven't learned the rules of survival in the ZA yet.  That could be said for both Maddie's group and Connor's group.  I'm guessing that the pregnant girl and Jack weren't gun-toting pirates before the zombie apocalypse.  I can't find an excuse for Alex wanting revenge on Travis instead of Strand - maybe she's just a jerk.

Maddie didn't bring a gun, but she did bring a knife - the one she used to cut Zombie Reed's wrist restraints before she pushed him at Connor, remember? 

So I have to admit a certain amount of confusion as to why Maddie didn't shiv the guy rolling around on the ground with Travis.

Unless, of course, Maddie was so caught up in the moment she really didn't care who she was kicking the shit outta.

• Love 1

The Sunday Cable Ratings are in for "Captive":

“Fear The Walking Dead” had a 2.0 rating in adults 18-49, with 4.414 million viewers.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2016/05/10/sunday-cable-ratings-may-8-2016/

And here are the Live + Same Day ratings for Season 2 so far:

04-10-16 “Monster” 6.674 million
04-17-16 “We All Fall Down” 5.581 million
04-24-16 “Ouroboros” 4.726 million
05-01-16 “Blood on the Streets” 4.803 million
05-08-16 “Captive” 4.414 million

(edited)

Still finding this show confusing and just not that good. I really want it to be good though, so I'm trying. I don't understand the pirates and outside of the preggo one, they don't seem very pirately, kind of like the Veggie Tale Pirates or something. I have no idea what they wanted out of the Abigail, but kidnapping a couple of people seems the least likely thing. If they were tracking the Abigail it would have to be commandeer the boat or to take all of their supplies. If they just wanted people, it makes no sense. 

Also don't get Alex suddenly be all bad-ass on Travis. Surely, she knows he is not in charge of that boat and did not cut the rope from her raft. Does she actually trust these people? 

I vaguely remember Jesse McCartney but I don't remember him looking all pudgy and toothy. Sorry to anyone whose heartthrob he was. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 2:51 AM, RedheadZombie said:

Also love that when they jumped back in the boat, Travis didn't pull the macho bullshit of taking over the boat - you know, because he's a man.

Of course, his hands were still secured behind his back, so that may have had something to do with it.

• Love 1

I thought Maddie cut the cord binding his hands.

She needs to cut the cord regarding her kids too, especially Nick who is much more useful to everyone when he is allowed out of her sight.  

I was confused about what the pirates were doing too.  Did Alicia and Travis think the guys on the Abigail were really going to drop the rest of the family off in Mexico and then come back with the boat?  Are they seriously that dumb? 

• Love 2
(edited)
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I thought Maddie cut the cord binding his hands.

She needs to cut the cord regarding her kids too, especially Nick who is much more useful to everyone when he is allowed out of her sight.  

I was confused about what the pirates were doing too.  Did Alicia and Travis think the guys on the Abigail were really going to drop the rest of the family off in Mexico and then come back with the boat?  Are they seriously that dumb? 

Yes.  Yes, they are.  Oh wait.  That was rhetorical, wasn't it?  Maybe we should name them Camp Brain Trust. 

Edited by Muffyn
  • Love 5
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:40 AM, mmecorday said:

What say we all take up a collection to buy Nick a comb and some cream rinse?

I was pretty sick with a high fever while I watched this episode. At one point I feel asleep long enough to dream that Michael Emerson had joined the cast. Alas, it was just a dream.

I love Michael Emerson beyond reason. As much as I want to see him in a new role since Person of Interest is donezo, I wouldn't want to stick him in this "Pirates and Shit." :-)

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:19 PM, Helena Dax said:

Have Strand and his friend talked to the Mexicans? Because maybe they already know money is useless now, but Strand and his friend don't know they know. If things in Mexico are as bad as things in the States, there's a fair chance Strand and company won't find anything but zombies waiting for them.

I think something like the Sinaloa Cartel would be well equipped to survive the ZA.  They're extraordinarily well-armed killers with well defended hideouts, and they're already sociopaths.  They could probably become the de facto Kings of Mexico in very short order.  Hmmm.  Maybe heroin would be the new barter currency in Mexico, and Thomas Abigail is already connected to the Cartel somehow.  Maybe the yacht is carrying tons of heroin, and Strand gravitated toward Nick because he might be useful in the heroin business.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

IMaybe the yacht is carrying tons of heroin, and Strand gravitated toward Nick because he might be useful in the heroin business.

Nick could probably kick ass in Quality Control, to say the least.

• Love 4
On 10/05/2016 at 4:53 PM, Duke Silver said:

Stupid people doing & saying stupid things.  It never ends on this show.

just to clarify, you've watched the walking dead right? and you still think these guys are the stupid ones?

• Love 1
17 hours ago, SnarkyTart said:

I think something like the Sinaloa Cartel would be well equipped to survive the ZA.  They're extraordinarily well-armed killers with well defended hideouts, and they're already sociopaths.  They could probably become the de facto Kings of Mexico in very short order.  Hmmm.  Maybe heroin would be the new barter currency in Mexico, and Thomas Abigail is already connected to the Cartel somehow.  Maybe the yacht is carrying tons of heroin, and Strand gravitated toward Nick because he might be useful in the heroin business.

I think you may have something here, i'm not sure about the drug thing because abigail and strand are essentially property developers, albeit rather dodgy and exploitative ones, rather than drug barons. I think it's likely that whoever is waiting for them in mexico it won't be the authorities. particularly as the recurring theme in TWD is that there's been a total breakdown of both the police and military. The Cartel would have the right skill sets and resources to fill the void.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

I think it's likely that whoever is waiting for them in mexico it won't be the authorities. particularly as the recurring theme in TWD is that there's been a total breakdown of both the police and military. The Cartel would have the right skill sets and resources to fill the void.

It makes more sense than what we've seen so far (Pirates and Shit)...which probably means it's a most unlikely scenario.  :-)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

just to clarify, you've watched the walking dead right? and you still think these guys are the stupid ones?

CDB has certainly done their fair share of stupid things, but at least a good chunk of those characters were likeable. These people just grate.

• Love 4

Yup, that's the main issue with the show - we're not watching likeable people. Travis and Maddie clearly hate each other and should break up if this weren't the ZA. That's theoretically interesting but if Travis hates Maddie, why should I liker her? or vice-versa? If your most charismatic and sympathetic character is a torturer? And the close second is either a man who buys up post-katrina debt as an investment or a junkie who steals morphine from a potentially dying man?  Your show has stacked the deck against itself and so far it hasn't yet managed to make a winning play with it.

As for what's going to happen getting into Mexico, I beg everyone to not think too hard about it or try to figure out the world-building from the scenes we are shown. -- that way lies madness.  There is zero chance that the writers room has figured out exactly how that could possible work in a "real" world so there are going to be a million little inconsistencies and omissions.  (If they do the tension and the character beats right, then we can all fan-wank a believable world onto it ex-post facto.)

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

CDB has certainly done their fair share of stupid things, but at least a good chunk of those characters were likeable. These people just grate.

At this point in the story, over in Georgia Rick and the rest of team fucknut are still camped out in the woods eating squirrels with some tin cans on a string to protect them, so far no one has come to the conclusion that some sort of wall or fence might be a good idea. Meanwhile, over in LA our heroes have an ocean going yacht with 3500 miles worth of fuel and plenty of supplies, they're also fully up to speed with the nature of the problem at hand. Nick has realised that covering yourself in walker guts acts as camouflage allowing you to move at will amongst the dead, and is employing this knowledge to his advantage, rather than forgetting about it for the next three seasons. The bar was set pretty low here but i think it would be hard to argue that Travis and Maddie are ahead in the stupidity stakes.

It's true that the characters aren't entirely sympathetic, but at least so far they've been consistent, we haven't (yet) hat the standard TWD writing trick of having the characters make a complete about face on previously held beliefs and character traits just to service the plot, which has been one of my main gripes with TWD original.

I think one of the main issues  people have with this show is that it's not a carbon copy of TWD, fTWD is quite different in tone and has that bright sunlit look that is common to George Romero rather than the shadowy grime of TWD, it's more mystery thriller than violent stylised comic book.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, rab01 said:

If your most charismatic and sympathetic character is a torturer? And the close second is either a man who buys up post-katrina debt as an investment or a junkie who steals morphine from a potentially dying man?  Your show has stacked the deck against itself and so far it hasn't yet managed to make a winning play with it.

But I really do like the junkie!!  I don't like the torturer, but I think he's a great character, as is the post-katrina debt buyer.  They may not be likeable, but they are good as characters.  Many of the shows I watch have unlikable characters.

• Love 5

I think one of the main issues  people have with this show is that it's not a carbon copy

Naw, the main reason I have issue with this show is that it just fucking sucks big time..  Yet, I continue to hate watch hoping it starts to get better. 

I did that also with "Under the Dome" and it did eventually get better because it was you know..., canceled, thus vastly improving immensely the quality.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

At this point in the story, over in Georgia Rick and the rest of team fucknut are still camped out in the woods eating squirrels with some tin cans on a string to protect them, so far no one has come to the conclusion that some sort of wall or fence might be a good idea. Meanwhile, over in LA our heroes have an ocean going yacht with 3500 miles worth of fuel and plenty of supplies, they're also fully up to speed with the nature of the problem at hand. Nick has realised that covering yourself in walker guts acts as camouflage allowing you to move at will amongst the dead, and is employing this knowledge to his advantage, rather than forgetting about it for the next three seasons. The bar was set pretty low here but i think it would be hard to argue that Travis and Maddie are ahead in the stupidity stakes.

It's true that the characters aren't entirely sympathetic, but at least so far they've been consistent, we haven't (yet) hat the standard TWD writing trick of having the characters make a complete about face on previously held beliefs and character traits just to service the plot, which has been one of my main gripes with TWD original.

I think one of the main issues  people have with this show is that it's not a carbon copy of TWD, fTWD is quite different in tone and has that bright sunlit look that is common to George Romero rather than the shadowy grime of TWD, it's more mystery thriller than violent stylised comic book.

I don't care about the relative knowledge of the two groups or this show not being a carbon copy of TWD. The writing on this show is poor. The main actors repel me and the project doesn't stand on its own. I only watched a bit of Breaking Bad, but what I watched had me entranced. Only caught the first three episodes of Better Call Saul. A little slow but solid writing and acting. It seems the interns got all the jobs on this show.

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, tiredofwork said:

Naw, the main reason I have issue with this show is that it just fucking sucks big time..  Yet, I continue to hate watch hoping it starts to get better. 

I did that also with "Under the Dome" and it did eventually get better because it was you know..., canceled, thus vastly improving immensely the quality.

It doesn't 'suck big time', they just haven't made the show exactly as you think they should have, that's not quite the same thing. under the dome OTOH, well i couldn't really argue with you on that one.

Anyway, i'm enjoying it, There's far worse about, TWD on a bad day, for instance,

I actually think the writing is better, for what it is. I thought the relationship between Strand and Abigail was played out very well, there was a degree of stupidity when the faux helpless people came onto the boat but we could excuse that as our heroes still think they're going to help people. At least they're making some narrative progress and logical stuff is being revealed as we go along. Compared with the second season of TWD where they're stuck on the farm it's like Tolstoy

• Love 1
25 minutes ago, Iguessnot said:

I don't care about the relative knowledge of the two groups or this show not being a carbon copy of TWD. The writing on this show is poor. The main actors repel me and the project doesn't stand on its own. I only watched a bit of Breaking Bad, but what I watched had me entranced. Only caught the first three episodes of Better Call Saul. A little slow but solid writing and acting. It seems the interns got all the jobs on this show.

TWD has all of those faults in spades though. This isn't of the calibre of Breaking Bad or BCS, but it's perfectly watchable

• Love 2
6 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

No seriously, I want this entire boatful of people to get eaten by the zombies. With CDB, they're idiots but you generally feel a sense of tension when they end up in life-threatening situations, and when they die you get bummed. When these jackoffs let pirates on their boat there's no sense of tension because you're too busy laughing. That's called a crappy show. 

• Love 3
(edited)
13 hours ago, BasilSeal said:

At this point in the story, over in Georgia Rick and the rest of team fucknut are still camped out in the woods eating squirrels with some tin cans on a string to protect them, so far no one has come to the conclusion that some sort of wall or fence might be a good idea.

Actually we're still just shy of three weeks into the global outbreak - so over in Georgia, Shane&Company have just set up the quarry camp while Rick is still in a hospital bed doing the damnedest imitation of a cauliflower you ever saw.  But your point is well-taken; with Shane as group leader, ain't nobody in this herd waiting for callbacks from NASA on their applications for that tasty rocket surgery position.

Edited by Nashville
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎13‎/‎2016 at 5:52 PM, BasilSeal said:

It doesn't 'suck big time', they just haven't made the show exactly as you think they should have, that's not quite the same thing. under the dome OTOH, well i couldn't really argue with you on that one.

Anyway, i'm enjoying it, There's far worse about, TWD on a bad day, for instance,

I actually think the writing is better, for what it is. I thought the relationship between Strand and Abigail was played out very well, there was a degree of stupidity when the faux helpless people came onto the boat but we could excuse that as our heroes still think they're going to help people. At least they're making some narrative progress and logical stuff is being revealed as we go along. Compared with the second season of TWD where they're stuck on the farm it's like Tolstoy

One consistent problem is that the 2nd and 3rd string characters are more engaging than the leads. I'm coming around to Nick, but he needs to stay away from his sister since their chemistry is off. 

19 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

One consistent problem is that the 2nd and 3rd string characters are more engaging than the leads. I'm coming around to Nick, but he needs to stay away from his sister since their chemistry is off. 

fair comment. as you say, nick is shaping up to be a decent character, against the odds really, torture guy is interesting as Are Mr Abigail and Mr It'sMyBoat, the others are still a bit Meh but there's hope.

I am really late to this party, I know but I'm new to this show and made it nearly halfway through the second season. 

This episode was on offer last night.

The only time Madison is bearable is in scenes with Strand.

So everyone was pissed at Chris for killing Reed (who was most likely to die from being gored anyway) but killing off Liza who had merely a scratch was morally justified? 

I laughed when ZombieReed was pinned to the wall, flailing aimlessly at out of reach food.