Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/02/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Oh -one more thing (I REALLY have to get a job, huh?) 
Whoopi and Raven described themselves as ANTI-social because they prefer to be alone, feel uncomfortable socializing.   Joy tried to correct them, saying they meant Asocial.   Whoopi said, uh-uh, she means anti-social. 

Nope -  according to Paul Brian's Common Errors in English

Someone who doesn’t enjoy socializing at parties might be described as either “asocial” or “antisocial,’ but “asocial” is too mild a term to describe someone who commits an antisocial act like planting a bomb. “Asocial” suggests indifference to or separation from society, whereas “antisocial” more often suggests active hostility toward society.

Whoopi and Raven might very well BE anti-social, but that's not what they were describing.  They were talking about being asocial

• Love 10
(edited)
2 hours ago, pvandal said:

What was the coal miner discussion? We had an emergency broadcast test when it started & then came back just as Whoopi was asking if they'd been to Vest Virginia.

Basically, they showed a coal miner asking Hillary about why they should trust her when she has said that she wants to put coal companies out of business. Then the panel said that he was only addressing part of what she had said, that coal companies who were creating health risks were going to be put out of business and replaced by something better and cleaner. There was a little conflict with Sonny wanting to read the quote and Whoopi being pissy about "that's what I said she said." They agreed that Hillary was partial-quoted and that it happens to them all the time. Whoopi was very much on the side of people (miners) who are desperately trying to stay employed and feel threatened. Hillary's response to the coal miner was that if things keep on going the way they have been, job loss will continue, so that's why she's trying to do something different.

Goofy Raven quote of the day: "It happens every single four years."

Edited by ChicagoCita
  • Love 9

Goofy Raven quote of the day: "It happens every single four years."

Yeah, Raven also got confused about the cleaner coal issue,  thinking that somehow it had something to do with making the coal miners' jobs less dangerous. She said Hillary wants to invest in re-vitalizing the coal industry in cleaner ways.  And it was clear that she thought that clean coal would lessen the health risks.  Clean coal has to do with techniques to reduce harmful emissions in the BURNING of coal.  The MINING of coal will have the same health hazards. 

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Medicine Crow said:

The Whoopster was a "piece of work" today!!!  Argumentative & nonsensical -- great combination!!!

Not to mention that she was a bitch to Paula for no reason...I love the fact that the other ladies are not deferring to her and that pisses her off and that puts a smile on my face....

• Love 7
4 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

What was with Raven and Whoopi giving stuck-up stank faces when Joy was advertising After the View at the end of the show?

I feel stupid asking this but how do I watch After the View? I can't watch it live because I'm west coast so I've scrounged their site for a link, to no vail.

(edited)

I just watched After the View for the first time ( thanks for the link). The sooner they get rid of Raven, the better. What a petulant brat! My opinion of Paula continues to decline too after watching her lame defense of Trump. In addition, Paula's personality and mannerisms are starting to grate on my nerves.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 2

I second that exactly Kenz. The atmosphere is so much more relaxed with Joy at the helm.   No Paula it's a fact Trump is not going to fix anything.  And Really ? you can't lump his supporters together?  yeah I can. 

Raven just needs to go back to the shallow end of the pool, Napoleon should surprise me but it doesn't. 

• Love 4
8 hours ago, susieq147 said:

Why on earth would ABC want to keep Whoopi?  The quality and ratings of this show has declined over the past how many years and the one sole constant presence has been Whoopi.  Doesn't take a genius to figure out she might be the cause.

What does she bring to the table exactly?  I mean other than her disdain for being there.  Her lack of respect for the audience who she tells with great frequency that she doesn't care what we think.  Her obnoxious know it all attitude.   Name one good thing Whoopi contributes to the View.

Who else is willing to spread their legs and air out their crotch when a handsome guest comes on?

• Love 4
(edited)

The shows have been  grim-- not funny, intelligent, or entertaining.  It's like they're behind the times with those stupid lists and questions to the panel who give predictable answers based on their personas that they are trying to project versus being real, complex women (except for Joy--cuz her no-nonsense, who gives a f--k eye-roll and amused smile moves things along). 

Maybe the spew had become outdated --or the writers/producers are left over from Barbara's  reign of staid sensibilities.  Boring. 

Anyway, I agree with you all who say that Whoops is making noises abt negotiations to save face  cuz she knows she is out ---I hope, I hope,  I hope.  Only Joy and Sunny are worthy -- and they need to have input into more engaging  topics to make the show appealing to intelligent women who are aware of contemporary issues, that affect females directly such as equal pay,  equal charges for female products, laws, politics,  environment, health,  retiring boomers. parenting, sandwich generation,  etc.... you know, those things we deal with everyday.  Some real INFORMATION!  

I think they and politicians think we are stupid and uninformed, although we know so much more due to Internet access and working outside the home, and/or, raising kids in tough times, etc......

Edited by Tosia
  • Love 3

This show is so disorganized!!!  They rush, rush, rush through the first two segments of Hot Topics & interviews with SJP (Raven just about insulted her) & Rob Reiner, then they have ten minutes to kill so it's talk about where they were conceived.  WTF???

• Love 6

The return of the Jedi today. UGH

Over to Wendy Williams and she is talking about Whoopi maybe leaving and Sunny and sick of the rotating co-hosts. Good times!

• Love 3

Raven looked pissed--and I ate it up!--when Rob Reiner called Trump the "Kardashianization of America" where you can know nothing and only be out to promote yourself, and people will support you.

Jedi said she'd do a write-in instead of voting for Trump. I guess I never got the rationale behind that? You're supporting Trump if you don't vote for someone who can actually keep him from winning.

• Love 11

I didn't really mind Jedidamndiah today. She's a little easier to take when Paula's not there to back up the wingnuttery.

Sarah Jessica Parker has a hard enough time trying to speak coherently, and Raven bugging the shit out of her didn't help at all. 

I love Rob Reiner and got a kick out of the Kardashian slam.

• Love 5

@TheGreenKnight wrote:

Jedi said she'd do a write-in instead of voting for Trump. I guess I never got the rationale behind that? You're supporting Trump if you don't vote for someone who can actually keep him from winning.

I can grasp it if I feel that there's absolutely no one on the ballot who deserves my vote. It can be seen as a wasted vote by some - and some feel it is their duty to vote, period. Didn't Nicolle Wallace say she did not vote in the '08 election because of Palin?

Sunny, it's ok for Republicans to stay home and not vote if their party's choice is repellant. At least that's what I'm hoping for so that the House and Senate will have a Democratic majority voted in, so please don't encourage them to vote!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Vinyasa said:

The return of the Jedi today. UGH

Over to Wendy Williams and she is talking about Whoopi maybe leaving and Sunny and sick of the rotating co-hosts. Good times!

Is Wendy a Sunny fan? Did she say anything about the other hosts?

• Love 1
(edited)
26 minutes ago, rcc said:

Yes! she is a Sunny fan. She did not really talk about the others that much  and just bitched about the rotating hosts of the show..She was basically giving Whoopie a tongue bath about her fabulousness..lol I think the fact that Whoopie did not come on the show today, bellowing about the veracity of her rumored dissatisfaction with the show was very telling..Whoopie, for as much as she says that she does not give a damn what we think, she actually does...I hope that she does leave and never comes back..She can take her protege Raven with her..I cannot stand her..Whoever on here who coined her the liberal bitsy was correct..She is just as petulant and ill-informed as she was and not to mention she is just as arrogant...I want Joy to moderate the show..

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 4
(edited)

As I understand it, once Trump is the official nominee he is entitled to his very own top-secret briefings, delivered by the US intelligence community. Now that's some scary stuff and I hope they discuss it on the show. Rob Reiner has it right - #Drumpf is the reality show candidate. 

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, Apprentice79 said:

Yes! she is a Sunny fan. She did not really talk about the others that much  and just bitched about the rotating hosts of the show..She was basically giving Whoopie a tongue bath about her fabulousness..lol I think the fact that Whoopie did not come on the show today, bellowing about the veracity of her rumored dissatisfaction with the show was very telling..Whoopie, for as much as she says that she does not give a damn what we think, she actually does...I hope that she does leave and never comes back..She can take her protege Raven with her..I cannot stand her..Whoever on here who coined her the liberal bitsy was correct..She is just as petulant and ill-informed as she was and not to mention she is just as arrogant...I want Joy to moderate the show..

Thanks for the response. I'm not surprised about the "tongue bath" and I'm glad I missed it. I agree Whoopie Pie needs to leave. Joy can moderate much better.

• Love 3

She's not really a Sunny fan but she's not a Sunny hater either.

She had pic of all six of them (W, CCB, M, J, R, P). Said when she went on the show she had no idea who Paula was (ha-ha), they basically need to settle down and stop the rotating co-hosts.  Sunny isn't one of the girls and people want perm cohosts in morning TV.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, Medicine Crow said:

This show is so disorganized!!!  They rush, rush, rush through the first two segments of Hot Topics & interviews with SJP (Raven just about insulted her) & Rob Reiner, then they have ten minutes to kill so it's talk about where they were conceived.  WTF???

That was ridiculous. 

Write in votes?  The machines in our district are electronic so you cannot write in a name. Who is going to read thousands of ballots for write in votes anyway?

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
(edited)

I work elections and we have electronic machines. Write-ins are allowed. On our machines, the voter selects "Write-in" and a keyboard pops up on the screen. The voter then types in the name and at the end of the day when the results are printed out, the write-ins appear on the results tape. We've had votes for "Mickey Mouse" and many others. It's all done electronically. It varies by state Write in votes for president

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 6

I did enjoy when they were talking to Rob Reiner about politics when they tried to interrupt him with he just kept on going. He was going to get his point out no matter what.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Vinyasa said:

She's not really a Sunny fan but she's not a Sunny hater either.

She had pic of all six of them (W, CCB, M, J, R, P). Said when she went on the show she had no idea who Paula was (ha-ha), they basically need to settle down and stop the rotating co-hosts.  Sunny isn't one of the girls and people want perm cohosts in morning TV.

Thanks for the response. I'm not surprised Wendy didn't know Paula. I doubt Wendy watches GMA, Today or CBS This Morning. Wendy's news is whatever the Housewives are doing. LOL

I do agree that the revolving co-hosts needs to stop. Pick the panel and go with it.

• Love 3
37 minutes ago, merriebreeze said:

I work elections and we have electronic machines. Write-ins are allowed. On our machines, the voter selects "Write-in" and a keyboard pops up on the screen. The voter then types in the name and at the end of the day when the results are printed out, the write-ins appear on the results tape. We've had votes for "Mickey Mouse" and many others. It's all done electronically. It varies by state Write in votes for president

In Illinois (at least in Chicago), write-in candidates are allowed, but they have to meet certain criteria to be considered as real candidates. We had 17 (!!) candidates for alderman in my ward a few years ago, and one of them was a write-in. I think she got 14 votes. :-(

• Love 1
(edited)

Today's "What's Wrong according to Whoopi" rant about being a person of principle was actually awesome. If it wasn't the 'last word' it would almost have been a good moderating piece.

Edited by geekburger
  • Love 1
  • Loved hearing Rob Reiner's straight talk about Trump. The KFamily comparison was perfect. These people are seriously shallow, and shouldn't be talked about as if they offer substance. America... get out of the shallow end!
  • Paula's unearned smugness annoys me the most. She takes herself so very seriously. Raven, not so much.
  • SJP. One day someone can explain to me why she's considered stylish, or attractive. Don't see it.
  • Love 5
35 minutes ago, geekburger said:

Today's "What's Wrong according to Whoopi" rant about being a person of principle was actually awesome. If it wasn't the 'last word' it would almost have been a good moderating piece.

I hate when I have to agree with her. If that Whoopi showed up every day, I'd be her biggest fan. But when she gets into bitching about high taxes, and bragging about being anti-social, and looking down her nose at people who aren't EGOTs or whom she considers threats, I tune her out and wonder why I ever liked her. Today, though, her rant was a thing of beauty.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, SunFun said:
  • Loved hearing Rob Reiner's straight talk about Trump. The KFamily comparison was perfect. These people are seriously shallow, and shouldn't be talked about as if they offer substance. America... get out of the shallow end!
  • Paula's unearned smugness annoys me the most. She takes herself so very seriously. Raven, not so much.
  • SJP. One day someone can explain to me why she's considered stylish, or attractive. Don't see it.

I've been hearing for years (from people who know her well and also people who only ran into her on the street) that she's a very sweet person.  So I can't have a completely negative opinion about her.  But I do agree with you.  I don't understand at all why she's considered to be so attractive or stylish.  I've also never seen an interview where she seemed interesting in the slightest.  So count me among those who just don't get the appeal.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

Raven looked pissed--and I ate it up!--when Rob Reiner called Trump the "Kardashianization of America" where you can know nothing and only be out to promote yourself, and people will support you.

Exactly.  It's pretty much a wasted vote, and she would be better off choosing the lesser of two evils.  She doesn't like Trump, which was her point, and then she said she also doesn't like Hillary, but not voting for either of them isn't going to hurt either of them.  She's making her vote (a precious thing, IMO) a non-factor in a very important Presidential election.  

I completely understand that she wants to take a stand, and also exercise her right to vote.  Totally understandable.  But she made it seem as though it was her big anti-Trump move when really she's not hurting him at all.  If she doesn't like either candidate and she wants to write-in someone else, that's perfectly fine.  But the only way to really vote non-Trump is to vote for his opponent.

• Love 2

Regarding Sarah Jessica Parker-I know she isn't "classically attractive" with perfect features, but I think she can be at times, stunning. I get tired of all the perfect faces and really enjoy an interesting face. (I have been taking film classes that cover films in the 50s and 60s-we used to have actors and actresses that looked like normal people)I remember reading an interview with her one time and she talked about growing up poor. She was asked what the worst thing about it was and she said that it was watching her parents be sad about not being able to do better for their kids. The parents were worried about the kids and the kids were worrying about the parents. That just rang really true for me and I understood exactly what she meant. Count me as a fan.

• Love 9

This show...........on their Facebook page:

Be Raven-Symoné's stylist! She's getting a mani that will bring the bling—which color scheme should she try on her nails? Vote now!

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This show...........on their Facebook page:

Be Raven-Symoné's stylist! She's getting a mani that will bring the bling—which color scheme should she try on her nails? Vote now!

Just my opinion, but overdone  blingy nail art looks tacky.

• Love 5
(edited)

Yeah, Whoopi, don't send the message to "girls" that they need to "put a little leg out there" to get noticed & get ahead. But wait. Didn't you do that to the dude from Game of Thrones last week? And yes, we know that your boobs drag the floor.

I can see why Sunny took offense when the guy told her to stop wearing pants, that her legs are a great feature & she should wear dresses. Looks to me like Sunny DID take that advice though. She looks great because she dresses to suit her body.

Then Paula said it was women who told her basically the same thing after she had her first baby. I agreed with Raven that we all, many of us anyway, tend to accentuate our best features when dressing. Depends on the mood. Guys do that too.

Edited by Fisher King
  • Love 2

It was a very sweet segment about the nuns and the giveaways. Of course Whoopi was gracious because people were thanking her and complimenting her. That's her wheelhouse.

How sad is it that when Whoopi dresses like a nun, it's a huge step up from her usual rags?

• Love 6

Ha! An article about fact-checking should at least get the cast names right! 

I have had more than a couple people change their attitude about Drumpf since Tuesday. Since he is even closer to the White House ( ye gods forbid) the attitude is more toward acceptance while disregarding what he is - and has said since he announced his run. I just don't get it.

• Love 5

Debbie and Space,

Thanks for the reply on SJP. She does seem nice, and she can't help it if other people overpraise her sense of style. Guess it actually them that puzzles me more than she does.

Btw. My prediction: Hillary is going to clean Drumpf's clock.

• Love 6