Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 5/02/16

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Monday: Day of Hot Topics.

Tuesday: Chadwick Boseman (“Captain America: Civil War”).

Wednesday:  Sarah Jessica Parker; Rob Reiner (“Being Charlie”) joins the Hot Topics table.

Thursday: Mario Lopez.

Friday: Mother’s Day Show with Lily Tomlin (“Grace and Frankie)

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 1

I appreciated the fact that Raven wasn't on to spew her out of this world "in the biz" views. Honestly I found it pretty boring. Joy kind of peeved me off when she said they won't diss fellow comics so it was left to the other ladies to discuss Larry Wilmore.

• Love 1

Poor paula, all alone today in her defense of Donald Trump! 

I didn't think that Larry Wilmore was as terrible as what they were saying.   I think his use of the 'n word'  was, in context, OK.    I watch his show every night, and he does a bit on "the de-negro-fication of the White House" which he calls "what's happening with the Unblackening".   I find his take on racial relations in the U.S to be spot on.

• Love 8

Why did they say it was a day of all hot topics, and then have a guest and a QVC segment?

Btw, they advertised some topic about a nude Usher selfie, but they never talked about it--or did I miss it? Either way, I need to, uh…go Google something now, excuse me.

• Love 6

Was it Whoopi who said something about a comic has to "know the room" implying that Wilmore didn't? But I think he was playing to a larger audience than all the elitist invitees at the WHCD, much like Colbert's ground breaking performance.  That one was meant to uncover the shadiness of Bush and the media. There's a great article over at Salon about Larry's best lines - not your typical one-liners most comedians are known for. 

• Love 6

I like Larry, but I don't like the N word, so Im torn. ANd Im a white chick so I don't really get a vote since I never personally suffered the pain of that word.

• Love 2
(edited)

I love Larry Wilmore and I watch his show. (I hate The Daily Show now) Larry and President Obama and any black person who wants to can use the n-word. That's the rule. Whoopi was not very supportive for someone who encouraged her white boyfriend to wear blackface. Did she "know the room" then?

Edited by GiveMeSpace
typo
  • Love 12
17 minutes ago, GiveMeSpace said:

I love Larry Wilmore and I watch his show. (I hate The Daily Show now) Larry and President Obama and any black person who wants to can use the n-word. That's the rule. Whoopi was not very supportive for someone who encouraged her white boyfriend to wear blackface. Did she "know the room" then?

GOod point. Also, I wondered if black people using the word and tossing it around in friendship and gest and humor are really doing something great in that it takes the sting and power OUT of the word. Removing the sting and the power seems like a good thing.

I listen to a lot of podcasts and Joy saying that comics don't insult comics is kind of an unwritten rule; so I get it that she said that. . .

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, ari333 said:

I like Larry, but I don't like the N word, so Im torn. ANd Im a white chick so I don't really get a vote since I never personally suffered the pain of that word.

But - in context - it was NOT disrespectful.
Keeping it 100 is Wilmore's catch phrase, meaning saying something honestly and pulling no punches. 

here's what he said:

"When I was a kid I lived in a country where people couldn't accept a black quarterback," Wilmore began in his closing remarks. "Now think about that: A black man was thought by his mere color not good enough to lead a football team. And now to live in your time, Mr. President, when a black man can lead the entire free world."

After that bit of earnestness, Wilmore boldly went where no White House Correspondents' Dinner host has gone before.

"Words alone do me no justice. So Mr. President I'm going to keep it 100: Yo Barry, you did it my n-gg-," Wilmore said, pounding his chest. "You did it."

Edited by backformore
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, backformore said:

But - in context - it was NOT disrespectful.
Keeping it 100 is Wilmore catch phrase, meaning saying something honestly and pulling no punches. 

here's what he said:

Agreed. We kind of posted on top of each other. But I agree.

• Love 2

I thought that Wilmore slayed it.  I'm sorry that Whoopi is too damn ignorant and privileged 1%er to get it anymore.  It wasn't a failure to read the room, it was taking the room's collective nose and rubbing it in the dog doo they've been giving us as "journalists" allowing tRump and his rampant racism all over the airwaves.

Hillary is lucky about her insensitive remark and it's timing - it got buried in tRump protests at rallies and the WHCD and all the media navel gazing attendant to it.

Oh, and, thank dawg that CCB wasn't there to whine about the use of the "n" word a la Bitsy.

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, NextIteration said:

I thought that Wilmore slayed it.  I'm sorry that Whoopi is too damn ignorant and privileged 1%er to get it anymore.  It wasn't a failure to read the room, it was taking the room's collective nose and rubbing it in the dog doo they've been giving us as "journalists" allowing tRump and his rampant racism all over the airwaves.

Hillary is lucky about her insensitive remark and it's timing - it got buried in tRump protests at rallies and the WHCD and all the media navel gazing attendant to it.

Oh, and, thank dawg that CCB wasn't there to whine about the use of the "n" word a la Bitsy.

I didn't get what Hilary's reservation remark was about. I was doing other stuff. TIA. Can someone tell me? At a glance it seems like a stupid thing to say. But I may have missed something. She seems smarter than that.

Did not miss CCB or Raven. There, I said it.

• Love 2

To follow up on the comment I made about Joy. I would have liked to hear more of her opinion on what went on at the Corespondents Dinner and in the moment it felt like she was taking the easy way out so she wouldn't have to say much. I see why she said what she did though. Raven and BAB/CBB not being there made it feel like a different show even though Whoopi was there doing her usual doublespeak act.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Jaded said:

Hillary should have said Trump was "going rogue" with the crazy talk. 

that would have been much more clever. The reservation remark seems so ..... DUMB for Hilary. Im kind of shocked. That is insensitive and.... IDK what. She really should be smarter than that. Donald says stupid things all the time so that would not floor me.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Hillary should have said Trump was "going rogue" with the crazy talk. 

I think that's what she meant to say & "reservation" was a slip of the tongue &/or a poor choice of words.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Medicine Crow said:

I think that's what she meant to say & "reservation" was a slip of the tongue &/or a poor choice of words.

I've heard a lot of expressions, but Iv'e never heard that reservation one. Bad slip

• Love 1

going off the reservation, going crazy - those are things that have been said for decades, and are now offensive.  I give Hillary a pass, only because it's the kind of thing that 10 years ago, wouldn't have raised eyebrows.  I am sure she will learn from it.

And, to be honest, it's not even close to the level of offense of stuff Trump says every day.

• Love 18
17 minutes ago, backformore said:

going off the reservation, going crazy - those are things that have been said for decades, and are now offensive.  I give Hillary a pass, only because it's the kind of thing that 10 years ago, wouldn't have raised eyebrows.

That's the trouble with a lot of things for us older folks.  We were socialized in such a different world and sometimes it's hard to navigate all of the new "rules" even when we have the best of intentions.  I often find myself having check-ins about things with my college kid because she knows all the new minefields that I may step in inadvertently.

I'm completely on board with all of it, because I think society has come a long way in being sensitive to others in the last decade or so, tRump represents the backlash against it - which is really unfortunate.

• Love 9
44 minutes ago, backformore said:

going off the reservation, going crazy - those are things that have been said for decades, and are now offensive.  I give Hillary a pass, only because it's the kind of thing that 10 years ago, wouldn't have raised eyebrows.  I am sure she will learn from it.

And, to be honest, it's not even close to the level of offense of stuff Trump says every day.

Not even close!

I expect shit from tRump. Not from Hilary. It was a slip

My neighbor just horrified me. He said "Im with tRump. We should keep all those Muslims out" I was shocked. That sounds like one step away from internment of Muslims who are here and peaceful.

• Love 3

Ari333 my next door neighbor put a Trump sign up in their yard.  My mother called them and said I thought you were a Democrat and the wife said I am, my husband is the dumbass who put the sign up.

• Love 7
(edited)

The unbelievable thing to me is that TRUMP was the one who called Hillary out on her use of "off the reservation".  Donald Trump - who is constantly ranting about how much he hates that he's supposed to be "Politically correct"  in his speech in order to not offend anyone.

I only wish someone at The View table was able to point out the hypocrisy about Trump wanting Hillary to be PC.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5
16 minutes ago, susieq147 said:

Ari333 my next door neighbor put a Trump sign up in their yard.  My mother called them and said I thought you were a Democrat and the wife said I am, my husband is the dumbass who put the sign up.

Well, bless her heart.

tRump seems so hateful. It really scares me.

• Love 3

I'm not all that old, but the folks in my community used to be called Hillbillies, even self-referencing. There even used to be a bar down the street called Sharon's Hillbilly Heaven. But I got dinged the other day -- the term is now "Appalachian." I didn't know, and I stand corrected. (Incidentally, I live in Hillary's old neighborhood, and I am old enough to remember the Clintons being referred to as "HillBilly.")  Maybe "going off the reservation" was a phrase she didn't know the origins of? I agree, it was a rare slip by a usually savvy politician. "Going rogue" would have been much cleverer, and a subtle dig at the kind of support Trump is getting.

• Love 5

ChicagoCita, I live in WV, which is hillbilly central and let me tell you the word used to describe hillbilly is still hillbilly.  At least in this neck of the woods it is.

• Love 4

That shit is grounds for divorce right there. I am totally serious. I will celebrate my 20th anniversary this year, but if Mr. GIveMeSpace put up a Trump sign? It is over.

• Love 14
6 hours ago, NextIteration said:

She referred to tRump as "going off the reservation" with crazy talk. It's offensive, and well racist.  They also pointed out that when tRump pointed out that it was offensive and that he'd get skewered if he said it, he referred to Native Americans as Indians.

Going by the clip they showed, Drumpf's bigger issue/being offended by Hillary using that phrase, was not because it was offensive to Native Americans, but because it was "demeaning to men." Yes, and I howled when Joy made fun of him, with his widdle hurt feewings.  And of course Paula brought in how Native Americans should be offended--her point was not to defend them, but to deflect from Drumpf.

And they totally missed the point with Larry, as well. And no, Whoopi, Larry is NOT part of the media, for whom this dinner was held--Journalists or people who are supposed to be journalists. He's a comedian. Not a journalist.

So much idiocy and misinformation. But that's par for the course with this show.

• Love 9

What was with the Panel giggling when Whoopi (rudely) brushed off if she had a good time at the WHC Dinner. I mean if nothing else, its an honor.

The fact that no one calls her on her behavior makes me feel that she must be a real sweetheart behind the scenes because no one (besides Rosie and she ran away) has ever gone toe-to-toe to the Whoopster. There's a reason for that. She must really be beloved as she feels she is.

• Love 2

I recall that at the beginning of the show, they flashed the Old Navy ad - the one with the mixed-race family, and promised to cover it in Hot Topics.   Did they ever talk about it?   I was surprised by people objecting so much to the ad, and saying they would boycott Old Navy for promoting mixed race unions.  Did I miss it, or did The View just skip it?

• Love 2

NOT to support Trump in any way, but at the same time that Hillary made her ignorant reservation remark, Miss Indian World (a law student) was crowned by the Gathering of Nations - it's hard to keep up with the most acceptable terminology for every issue!

(edited)

Hmmmmm....

whoopi threatens to leave The View

Whoopi Goldberg may be ready to disappear from "The View."

The outspoken Oscar winner has informed friends she's fed up with ABC's morning chatfest and wants to bail from the panel, where she has held forth on topics weighty and trivial since 2007.

"Whoopi has told those close to her she will exit the show," said one daytime TV veteran, who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

Whether she really means it or could be persuaded to stay remains to be seen. Goldberg, 60, is in talks with ABC about extending her contract, which is up at the end of this season. Making noise about leaving is a time-honored tactic used to increase bargaining leverage.

The network bosses seem open to an agreement. "We want her back and are trying to make that happen," said a source close to the show.

But change of one sort or another is likely coming to "The View" soon. Raven-Symone, who joined the panel last year, probably won't be returning, one insider said.

The remaining panel members are Joy Behar (the sole original cohost), Michelle Collins, Candace Cameron Bure and Paula Faris.

The hosts' reps aren't talking. Goldberg's publicist did not return a call and email, and one of her agents at CAA likewise remained mum. A Raven-Symone rep did not respond to an email.

I predict today we get Miss Whoop yelling "I'm not going anywhere!"

Edited by backformore
  • Love 8

Why on earth would ABC want to keep Whoopi?  The quality and ratings of this show has declined over the past how many years and the one sole constant presence has been Whoopi.  Doesn't take a genius to figure out she might be the cause.

What does she bring to the table exactly?  I mean other than her disdain for being there.  Her lack of respect for the audience who she tells with great frequency that she doesn't care what we think.  Her obnoxious know it all attitude.   Name one good thing Whoopi contributes to the View.

• Love 10

Has Miss Whoopi  been wearing that same scarf for a while now?  

I wear scarves, it's a great way to dress up a plain outfit, and to stretch a wardrobe by looking like you're wearing a different outfit, when you've just added a colorful scarf.  but a scarf has to add a pop of color,  or texture, to work.   I keep seeing her in that same navy and grey thing around her neck.   It adds nothing to what she's wearing - especially since the patterned side is on her left, so the audience basically sees the plain side. 

I wish they had done a follow-up to the transgender bathroom thing, and showed the idiot men who are trying to make a point by going to Target stores and peeing in the ladies' rooms, and videotaping themselves confronting Target employees.  THAT is a "hot Topic" - guys coming acting like perverts because they're so afraid of people being perverts.

• Love 5

What was with Raven and Whoopi giving stuck-up stank faces when Joy was advertising After the View at the end of the show? Man, I hope Raven at least gets kicked to the curb at the end of this season. Go back to your industry, because nobody here wants you.

Color me shocked Paula didn’t go after Hillary during the coalminers discussion. I’m surprised Kim Fields was eliminated from DWtS. I don’t watch, but she’s the only person from the cast I know.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, backformore said:

I recall that at the beginning of the show, they flashed the Old Navy ad - the one with the mixed-race family, and promised to cover it in Hot Topics.   Did they ever talk about it?   I was surprised by people objecting so much to the ad, and saying they would boycott Old Navy for promoting mixed race unions.  Did I miss it, or did The View just skip it?

What? Is it 1940 and no one told me? Good lord.

• Love 4

What was the coal miner discussion? We had an emergency broadcast test when it started & then came back just as Whoopi was asking if they'd been to Vest Virginia.

1 hour ago, TheGreenKnight said:

What was with Raven and Whoopi giving stuck-up stank faces when Joy was advertising After the View at the end of the show? Man, I hope Raven at least gets kicked to the curb at the end of this season. Go back to your industry, because nobody here wants you.

Color me shocked Paula didn’t go after Hillary during the coalminers discussion. I’m surprised Kim Fields was eliminated from DWtS. I don’t watch, but she’s the only person from the cast I know.

I think it is obvious that Raven does not like Joy and Whoopie is irritated by Joy's presence on the show..I am sure that she has heard about how Joy does such a great job as moderator, not to mention that she is intelligent, without being pedantic. Plus, Joy does not let Whoopie get under her skin like Rosie, but, she definitely holds her own....

• Love 8

What was the coal miner discussion? We had an emergency broadcast test when it started & then came back just as Whoopi was asking if they'd been to Vest Virginia.

I'm just dying to know what Whoopi said about my home state of WV.  Can someone give me a recap?

2 hours ago, Apprentice79 said:

I think it is obvious that Raven does not like Joy and Whoopie is irritated by Joy's presence on the show..I am sure that she has heard about how Joy does such a great job as moderator, not to mention that she is intelligent, without being pedantic. Plus, Joy does not let Whoopie get under her skin like Rosie, but, she definitely holds her own....

Yeah, I'm just glad Joy has incredibly thick skin. Plus the faces she makes at times shows she's pretty much on the same page as the viewers are re: the two idiots/divas.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

My bold.  I love that word "pedantic" & have a male friend who fits it to the tee (in every sense of the word).  He's hilarious (but oblivious).  LOL.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, backformore said:

I saw the ad and the "headline" but honestly thought people were finally going to boycott Old Navy over their long-time practice of using Bangladesh sweatshops.  But no - not in America where we value cheap stuff over human rights and are offended by ad campaigns.   Sigh. 

• Love 8