Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E06: 100% Injury Rate

• Start Topic

The season's worst storm yet batters the fleet. Freshman skipper Sean Dwyer must choose between crab and a childhood friend. Wild Bill questions his son's status as a crabber and man. As injuries stack up, one deckhand reveals a painful secret in his pants.

Good grief.   Did we need to know that guy had a hernia?   And I'm sorry demanding to see it then calling everyone else to come look is just childish.   But well, Josh.

Any ship without an injury?    BTW, EMT Zack was right -- there is no magic cure.    but yeah, there's a reason the show is called deadliest catch.

• Love 2

Poor Edgar...Sig will not be happy when he sees this segment esp if the guys hadn't already told him.

I like the new Capt and the BrennaA...He's not a drama queen and he seems to make sound decisions.  It looked like his deckhand may have actually dislocated the rib.  

CM...some guys never get past 12.  Of course I have a feeling most of the boats' crews would have had the same reaction too

• Love 4

Sig's never gonna let Edgar captain the ship again after this disaster. I don't know what was going on with Edgar. He was very frazzled. I didn't expect him to be so disorganized; usually he does better.

as for Sean, I'm still enjoying him, although if the guy with the rib injury had been a seasoned crab fisherman,they probably would have kept fishing. 

Zack was on the whiney side tonight. Dude, you're the medical guy. Do your job and stop whining about it. That poor Swedish Twin. He doesn't want to be a burden. :(

CM: i didn't need the detailed visual of the hernia, nor did they need to call everyone up to see it. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, HoodlumSheep said:

Sig's never gonna let Edgar captain the ship again after this disaster. I don't know what was going on with Edgar. He was very frazzled. I didn't expect him to be so disorganized; usually he does better.

I think he is preoccupied with his son's problems on the deck.  

Really had to scoff at Josh: "This is where we separate the men from the boys" (said the "skipper-in-training" who has a real captain holding his hand every step of the way).

It was surprising (but it shouldn't have been) to hear the bitterness on the deck of the BrennaA when Per got hurt.  I figured fresh boat, fresh captain, fresh attitudes.  But nope.   Like clockwork,  as soon as they were one man down, another deckhand started talking smack about the injured guy and finding fault with the captain's handling of the situation.   It's funny, deckhands seem to be either very easy-going guys or hard-nosed assholes, with no in-between.

I could feel Mac's worry.   I would hope that guys like him, knowing they're probably going to age-out of deck work in their 40s/50s, would be socking away some of those big pay-days for the years ahead. 

• Love 4

I suspect showing off the hernia began as "Ew, look at this!" but there's one big benefit: I bet nobody hazed that guy for not working after they saw that.  It hit those guys where they live, so to speak.

• Love 7

Not that I disagree with most of what is said about the CM and the antics of her captain but just one consideration.

As I understood it, they were going to have to steam away from lucrative fishing in order to go into harbor to get this deckhand medical treatment.  We saw how the deckhands reacted on the Brenna A to a similar scenario when they couldn't see/understand the why of the decision. They turned on Per and Sean viciously and there was resentment and disgruntlement.

On the CM by letting the crew witness the severity of what was going on with "Bumper" it gave the crew a clear understanding of why they were leaving the grounds and wasting a day+ and the associated money for fuel to go in to the harbor.  That helps the crew have a bit of sympathy for the guy, hopefully reducing/relieving any resentment towards Casey (and fine Josh as well) and in the future "Bumper" doesn't end up with a rep as a slacker, when he's trying to get work.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, storyskip said:

We saw how the deckhands reacted on the Brenna A to a similar scenario when they couldn't see/understand the why of the decision. They turned on Per and Sean viciously and there was resentment and disgruntlement.

They can be real ball busters.

• Love 3

This has been the best season.  I am loving the organic and basic drama that the Sea brings out.  We saw just how close the difference between nothing at all, and major injury or worse.  Wave after wave after wave, but it only takes one and...

Forever, I've insisted that if and when Bill gets a crew, and most especially greenhorns with a great attitude, he would back them fully.  He wasn't just an ogre or a butthole on a power trip.  Tonight proved out my theory.  He was also quick to go after the wannabe captain for his piss-poor attitude when he was asked to attend to the injured horn.  Bill was dead on right.  "I didn't hurt the guy."  Who the heck said you did?  The whole world revolves around that fool engineer, doesn't it?  He has the makings of an Elliott, that one.

There is something about Edgar which will not allow him to fully actuate.  I have seen this in other recovering addicts.  It is the darnedest thing.  They have/are overcome(ing) an ordeal literally from hell.  They become the greatest people you would ever hope to meet.  Truly, the best.  Yet something (I am guessing guilt) seems to prevent them from "going for it," in many contexts.  Edgar is no fool.  He knows how to keep a proper log.  What caused him to be sloppy this time?  'Tis a wonderment.  The tragic thing is this serves to cement Sig's base opinion that Edgar is, at his core, a family problem.

• Love 5