Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Rhondinella

All My Children

On 4/7/2020 at 11:11 AM, Camille said:

I've often said that some of soaps best stories and couples have been unintended. From what I remember when that storyline first aired, Maria was probably only intended as an interloper for Edmund and Brooke, especially considering that he pined away for her the entire time they were dating, but at some point, the writers realized that they had something good going, hence the abrupt retcon of Edmund declaring that MARIA was the love of his life.

Maria was meant to be in the Dillon orbit but the show noticed her chemistry with Edmund and they shifted gears.

Her 'death' in 1997 was tragic because she'd just been united with her baby..and had found out right before the crash that Edmund was the father of Maddie...and she sacrificed herself to ensure her baby lived.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Maria was meant to be in the Dillon orbit but the show noticed her chemistry with Edmund and they shifted gears.

That's right, I remember that now. I'm glad they changed plans, because I think she and Trevor would ultimately not have worked, even though I don't deny that sparks definitely flew in their interactions.

FYI, Laurel is one of several roles that Eva LaRue auditioned for (along with that of Gloria and Kendall) before winning the role of Maria.

• Like 1

Next week, EW is doing a full week long video interview with the cast.  The photo of everyone is pretty nice to see.

https://ew.com/tv/ew-reunites-all-my-children-cast/

Here is the full list of cast members involved in the reunion: Jennifer Bassey, Tamara Braun, Justin Bruening, Rebecca Budig, Mark Consuelos, Josh Duhamel, Bobbie Eakes, Melissa Claire Egan, Ricky Paull Goldin, Alexa Havins, Michael E. Knight, Jill Larson, Eva LaRue, Susan Lucci, Cameron Mathison, Cady McClain, Billy Miller, Alicia Minshew, Sydney Penny, Kelly Ripa, Leven Rambin, Eden Riegel, Chrishell Stause, Walt Willey, Darnell Williams, and Jacob Young.

• Like 5

Walt Willey is still gorgeous, hot damn! I always loved Jack and Erica and I cheered when Jack walked away from Erica in the last episode of the show.. I am on the east coast and till this day I never watch anything at 1pm on ABC out of solidarity to All My Children. I have never gotten over the cancellation but I digress.  I always thought it was a mistake that the show did not keep Jack and Erica together as a family with their large brood after they got married.  The stories and conflict should have arise organically without needing to break up Jack and Erica for the millionth time..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 4:47 PM, Camille said:

That's right, I remember that now. I'm glad they changed plans, because I think she and Trevor would ultimately not have worked, even though I don't deny that sparks definitely flew in their interactions.

I genuinely cannot imagine Maria and Trevor together as a romantic couple - and I say that as someone who willingly suspended all disbelief in order to accept that Trevor would fall for Robin Mattson's Janet.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I always loved Jack and Erica and I cheered when Jack walked away from Erica in the last episode of the show.

I thought that was the perfect ending for Erica because after 10 marriages, I highly doubt Jack would be the one to make her settle down.   Erica's "the one" was always herself.  

These interviews have been nice.  With almost 10 years removed it seemed like no one felt the need to toe the line and the actors for the most part were able to give their real opinions about the show.

Billy Miller probably shouldn't have been invited to this.  His stint was short and to me, not that memorable on AMC.  Josh Duhamel was on the show for a short time as well, but at least he made an impression.   As someone who liked Ryan and Greenlee together, I appreciated Cameron, Rebecca and Melissa acknowleding that, yes, they did have fans.  lol  Never could understand why some people felt that Greenlee and Ryan should only be allowed to have one great love in their life.  That's just not possible on a soap.

I'm sure with that ABC special that aired a few weeks ago and now these interviews, it has stirred up a renewed interest in the genre.  I'm still in the camp that too much time has passed and any AMC revival would be an empty shell of the soap that I once loved.  Too many actors have moved on or passed away.  I'd rather they made old episodes available to watch instead.  Would love to see some of the late 80's early 90's episodes that I have a hazy memory of from when I was a kid.

• Like 4

First off, I hadn’t realized how different Christelle Stause looked when she started on AMC. She looks like a completely different person which is odd since she’s still young and hasn’t had that much done. Secondly, Josh Duhamel is 10 times better looking now then he was back then. Everyone seems to love Cameron Mattheson and they all were very happy about their time on AMC. There’s something about the NYC soaps. Those cast always seemed closer to me. It seems like the California soaps did their scenes and booked out the studios. 

• Like 1

Robin Mattson's Janet.

I liked her Janet.

Would love to see some of the late 80's early 90's episodes that I have a hazy memory of from when I was a kid.

Check out this account on Youtube. It has hundreds of full length episodes from the 80s, 90s, and 00s. And not just AMC, but other shows as well, like Guiding Light. As the World Turns, OLTL, Capitol...

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Robin Mattson's Janet.

I liked her Janet.

So did I. She did an excellent job with her. I was completely on her side throughout most of the things she did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Check out this account on Youtube. It has hundreds of full length episodes from the 80s, 90s, and 00s. And not just AMC, but other shows as well, like Guiding Light. As the World Turns, OLTL, Capitol...

What is the name of the account? I can't see a link. 🙁

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Hiyo said:

I liked her Janet.

11 hours ago, Camille said:

So did I. She did an excellent job with her. I was completely on her side throughout most of the things she did.

It always blew my mind that AMC had Robin Mattson, a great actress who excelled doing both comedy and drama and had great chemistry with her cast mates, but seemed determined to get rid of her for no good reason. There were at least two occasions (maybe more?) when they'd decided to fire her only to have change course because of the backlash - the first was during the Janet/Pierce/Brooke triangle, when they were going to have Janet get plastic surgery so that she could double for Brooke and the role would have been taken over by Julia Barr; I can't recall the story that was going to happen the second time, but I remember hearing the rumor about it from the soap recapper on Northwest Afternoon and thinking, "JFC, why don't they know how good they have it having Robin Mattson?"

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

12 hours ago, Steph J said:

"JFC, why don't they know how good they have it having Robin Mattson?"

Apparently not.

After all the excellent work they did to redeem Janet and make her a respectable citizen--one of the most realistic and extensive  character redemptions soaps have ever done--I was very disappointed when she returned as "Janet From Another Planet" yet again.

ETA that someone named AddieCate has  also been posting a lot of early-to-mid 90's episodes from GH, Loving, and AMC.

Edited by Camille
  • Like 4

My UO:  I thought Susan Lucci should not have been nominated that many times.  She was an average actress, and I hated how her losses started to take away from other people’s wins.

Susan Lucci may have been an average actress, but she was a great soap actress.  My favorite thing about her win is how it seemed like it wasn't just the AMC/ABC people who were happy for her, but the entire room.

I bet the AMC cast/crew had the best party that night.

• Like 3