Type keyword(s) to search

All My Children - General Discussion

• Start Topic

What is Janet's story background? Who did she kill? I never watched amc but have caught the odd youtube clip over the last while. The time period is when she was with Trevor? But she killed someone? Just wonder what the story is.

Thinking about the whole Bianca and Zarf/Zoe thing 12 years ago I remember the TWOP boards were just livid, saying Bianca was "into dick now". Complete negative reaction from LGBT press at the time. I admit at the time the concept of a "transexual lesbian" made me go "Whaa?"  Now you could do it. It would still have to be handled better than they did but it would have more acceptance now. Sense 8 being a great example of how to lesbian romance when one of the women is trans. The big problem was of course they should have cast an actual transperson in the role. Critiques that Zoe looked like a drag queen would have except it was a Cishet man playing her.

• Love 1

They all looked great on Strahan and Sara. Jacob seems to be doing a western Brad Pitt look and Walt has a bit less hair. (And Cady is clearly wearing extensions but I ain't mad at her.) I thought Strahan made a tacky joke about their show being the reason AMC wasn't on any more and how AMC fans should get over it and give them a chance. That's not entirely accurate since it was actually The Chew that replaced AMC but the point was basically there. I'm not getting over it though. This would be the first time I've watched anything on ABC Daytime pretty much since AMC was cancelled. Yeah, I am holding that grudge.

• Love 5

I always looked forward to the closing credits when the original full theme music would play. The following clip has been on YouTube for awhile but has the original voiceovers playing over the music. A fan stripped out the voiceovers and added a pristine copy of the full theme to this revised version:

I also loved the closing credits "scenes" when certain actors would carry on with that day's story. Often, the scenes weren't especially dramatic. For instance, you might see two characters folding laundry in a living room and carrying on a conversation (silently, because the theme music was playing) from earlier in the show. The closing credits scenes made Pine Valley seem like a real place.

Edited by Jan Spears
  • Love 3

Just spied Lonnie Quinn, meteorologist, and the first nicer Will Cooney/Cortlandt, on my local CBS affiliate during its evening news. So trippy. He is still recognizable! Just older.

As are we all.  😛

• Love 1

I found a playlist on YouTube of episodes from 2004, and it's been fun to watch! 

Kendall is on trial for the murder of Michael Cambias, and Greenlee just ripped off her dress in court to expose the fake baby bump. Ryan and Kendall are together and in love (I liked them together in this period). Bianca is about to tell Erica that she kept the baby and is pregnant. 

Best of all, there's a baby faced Michael B Jordan as Reggie, which makes me smile so much! I loved the Kane/Montgomery family around this time.

Meanwhile, Babe is pregnant but isn't sure if the father is JR or Jamie or maybe even Paul (I'm unclear on if she was saying that to manipulate Paul or if she actually believes he could be). Crystal is hooking up with Tad who is involved with Simone and Liza is also after him. That's all super icky, but so very classic soap too. 

And! Edmund was in a coma after some shoot out at a cabin that I'm not sure the reason for, and has just woken up and Maria got to have some fun meltdowns about that. Brooke is hanging around for some reason and David actually gets to be a real doctor. 

I think I'm somewhere in early February of 2004 and it seems like so much has happened in just the little bit I've watched. 

• Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 6:41 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Susan Lucci was on Tamron Hall's new talk show today. She looked great and must have the best plastic surgeon(s) money can buy because she doesn't seem to have aged at all. The interview was basically a tongue bath though, IMO.

I didn't know that she was even on it. What did she have to say?

Cameron was on GMA this morning. He is doing well. The cancer growth on his kidney was removed and he didn't need chemo or radiation. He looked very handsome. Ryan annoyed me so much that I forgot that he is very handsome.

• Love 2
On 9/13/2019 at 6:41 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Susan Lucci was on Tamron Hall's new talk show today. She looked great and must have the best plastic surgeon(s) money can buy because she doesn't seem to have aged at all. The interview was basically a tongue bath though, IMO.

The weird thing is that Susan has morphed into Erica Kane over the years. Every time I see her, I only see Erica. She even bobs her head the same way Erica used to do. It must be the down side of having played the same character for decades. It is much harder to shed the character like other actors do after filming on a series or movie is over.

• Love 1

I have been missing this show and I am re-watching the Natalie/Janet storyline. Kate Collins was just so wonderful in the roles.  It is too bad that James Kiberd who played Trevor was a pig in real life and he was the reason that Kate left the show. The Natalie recast was awful.  

Natalie and Brooke were always my favorites, they started as bad girls and became rootable heroines.  Kate Collins always reminded me of Princess Diana, she had the same elegance as her.. I have always loved Brooke with Edmund , Adam and Tom. My preference was always Brooke and Edmund and I always hated that they were not endgame. I could not stand Maria.  Brooke and Erica being sisters-in-laws would have been awesome. Those two butting heads in trying to be the mistress of Wildwind would have been great to see.

• Love 1
On 1/20/2020 at 5:54 PM, Pearson80 said:

My preference was always Brooke and Edmund and I always hated that they were not endgame. I could not stand Maria.  Brooke and Erica being sisters-in-laws would have been awesome. Those two butting heads in trying to be the mistress of Wildwind would have been great to see.

I remember when Edmund first came on the show and he was this hot mysterious guy with a chip on his shoulder.  For some reason, I really wanted Erica and Edmund to hook-up back then.  Eventually, they neutured Edmund to the point that he was no longer interesting and I didn't really care when Jonathan murdered him.   

I'm glad I didn't get too invested when Brooke and Edmund reunited the last time because boy did the writers twist themselves in knots to make Brooke look like the bad guy so that Edmund could go running back to Maria.  At the time, I not so secretly liked Maureen with Aidan so I wasn't happy about their reunion. lol  

• Love 3

I preferred Brooke with Adam. That being said while I liked Edmund/Maria the first time around the ship sailed for me by the time Maria returned. 

Maybe it was probably because the RL actors were experience marital problems that led to their divorce shortly after but it wasn't the same. 

I preferred Maria with everyone else tbh she was less rigid and more free than her first stint on the show.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, giovannif7 said:

R.I.P. John Callahan AKA AMC's Edmund

WHAT?! Wow.  😞 May he RIP. Wow. It's odd. John Callahan and Roscoe Born were both on this show. However, both men were also on Santa Barbara and their characters were - at some point - in competition for the affections of one of the Capwell sisters, Kelly. And now both men are gone.  😞

48 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

WHAT?! Wow.  😞 May he RIP. Wow. It's odd. John Callahan and Roscoe Born were both on this show. However, both men were also on Santa Barbara and their characters were - at some point - in competition for the affections of one of the Capwell sisters, Kelly. And now both men are gone.  😞

Both men were also involved with Brooke on AMC in some capacity as well too and Nicole on Days.

• Love 2

I feel for his family, especially his teenage daughter.  I know he'd been divorced from ELR for many years but they seemed to have figured out how to co-parent, and she often talked lovingly about him.

Edmund was a great soap hero, until they wrote him off as a warped version of himself.  But before that, Edmund and Maria were awesome, and I even enjoyed him with Brooke.  It is truly sad news.  

• Love 6
3 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

WHAT?! Wow.  😞 May he RIP. Wow. It's odd. John Callahan and Roscoe Born were both on this show. 

I had no idea about Roscoe Born.  It's like a double whammy for me today.  😟  RIP to them both.  Although my last comment was negative towards the character of Edmund, John Callahan was a fantastic actor.  It just makes me sad to see these AMC actors leaving us one by one.  I'm still not over David Canary's passing.

If anyone is curious, here is a clip of John Callahan as a very different character, Craig Hunt, on Santa Barbara. For instance, Craig was shady and had mob connections. But he was tamed - for a while - due to his attraction/lust/love (?) for Kelly Capwell, here in the video with him. Enjoy (should you watch it!)! (Ironically, Eva LaRue was on this show in a minor role in the mid-'80s or so. It was here she met her first husband, John O' Hurley - who ended up in a storyline with John Callahan. Soapy in itself!) There are more scenes of his work as Craig if you want to see video on YT. Alas, the language seems to have been dubbed into...French, I think? This was one of the very few Englsh-language videos available.

Edmund was a great soap hero, until they wrote him off as a warped version of himself.  But before that, Edmund and Maria were awesome, and I even enjoyed him with Brooke. 

Yes to everything you said, plus I always liked the relationship between him and Dimitri as well.

• Love 3

John Callahan and Roscoe Born were both on this show. However, both men were also on Santa Barbara

So was Marj Dusay, who was also on both shows...

• Love 2
On 3/29/2020 at 4:31 PM, Hiyo said:

Maria and Edmund's first date...

I adored them together. Despite their problems, it was such a pleasant rarity to see a genuinely happy soap couple that rather than letting their problems break them up, instead faced them together. Not only that, but for once, TV proved that a happy couple doesn't have to be boring.

I've never forgotten him screaming in agony when told she was dead (about 13 minutes in):

The fact that they almost died on 9/11 (they were supposed to be on the first plane that hit the World Trade Center, but postponed because she wanted to sleep late) makes that scene even harder to watch.

• Love 3
On 4/2/2020 at 5:35 PM, Camille said:

I adored them together. Despite their problems, it was such a pleasant rarity to see a genuinely happy soap couple that rather than letting their problems break them up, instead faced them together. Not only that, but for once, TV proved that a happy couple doesn't have to be boring.

I've never forgotten him screaming in agony when told she was dead (about 13 minutes in):

The fact that they almost died on 9/11 (they were supposed to be on the first plane that hit the World Trade Center, but postponed because she wanted to sleep late) makes that scene even harder to watch.

Not to mention she was pregnant with their daughter at the time, too.

I really never watched AMC, except for bits and pieces before OLTL came on (and a classic episode on Soapnet or two), but I remember thinking they were so beautiful together, and being so happy when Maria turned up alive in 2002 (and then he's killed off a few years later--I know John & Eva were divorcing by then, but damn). And watching their first date scenes, I LOVE how open Maria is about loving country music. I do, too. 🙂 

And her wedding dress (the first one, lol) is one of my all time favorite soap wedding dresses EVER. ❤️ 

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, UYI said:

Not to mention she was pregnant with their daughter at the time, too.

That's the very reason she wasn't feeling well and wanted to sleep late.

The thought of them being on that plane, exchanging desperate "I love yous" like their characters did is truly chilling.

• Love 2

Maria was introduced when there already a juicy soapy quadrangle going on with Edmund/Brooke/Tad/Dixie. Throwing her into the mix and still having it be very fun and enjoyable was a credit to the writing and acting at the time.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Hiyo said:

Maria was introduced when there already a juicy soapy quadrangle going on with Edmund/Brooke/Tad/Dixie. Throwing her into the mix and still having it be very fun and enjoyable was a credit to the writing and acting at the time.

I've often said that some of soaps best stories and couples have been unintended. From what I remember when that storyline first aired, Maria was probably only intended as an interloper for Edmund and Brooke, especially considering that he pined away for her the entire time they were dating, but at some point, the writers realized that they had something good going, hence the abrupt retcon of Edmund declaring that MARIA was the love of his life.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Hiyo said:

Well, this is very interesting, and definitely worth watching from a historical perspective. An episode from 1970, and another from 1971.

Thank you for putting these up!  I remember them, started watching AMC on the first day.  So nice to see the old characters, especially the odious Nick Davis, as Phoebe called him, and all the others.  I can't wait to really watch these.  Thank you so much!

• Love 1