Type keyword(s) to search

All My Children - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've been rewatching Leo and Greenlee's story on YouTube. Man those two were magical. The fact that Josh could step into the role so many years later and those two still have that chemistry is impressive. One of the last true supercouples. 

• Love 1

http://www.iheartamc.com/

I think it's just all from youtube, but still, nice to have them in one place

I think it's great that this person has taken the time to go back and try to put the storylines in order. 

I can see a bit of bias coming through in the youtube clips they decided to use in some of their summaries.  I only really looked at 2004/2005, but there appeared to be a large number of Zach/Kendall clips and not much else for those years.  It's like they only used one youtube channel as a resource when I know there has to be clips focusing on other storylines. 

Eventhough it may have seemed like it was the Zach and Kendall show, there were other characters. lol

• Love 1

It's been so long, hopefully it's ok to add another reply to this thread vs. editing the one above me.  I tuned out for a couple of years in the mid 2000's and missed what happened to Di.  The last thing I saw, Di was working with David and pretending to be Dixie.  I think it turned out she was Dixie's sister?  I thought she had good chemistry with Tad and David.  I heard she got involved with Aidan (poor guy was on the show for 6 years and never had anything click, execept for maybe SS's Greenlee) for awhile and then she was murdered...what happened to exactly?

As I recall, it was early Nov. 2008 when AMC was written by Chuck Pratt (no surprise).  He brought Di back for two episodes, played by a different actress since Kelli Giddish was no longer available.  Annie pretended Emma was kidnapped when in reality she was working with Aidan and Di to keep Emma away from Ryan.  In the first episode, Di made a two-second appearance at the end of the show where we realized she was working with Annie all along.  In the second episode, Ryan and Greenlee tracked down Emma and burst into the apartment to find Di having been shot by Annie, who claimed she'd shot Di in self-defense.  Di's dying words to Ryan and Greenlee implicated Annie in Emma's kidnapping.  You have to love Pratt, making a formerly heroic female character (albeit a supporting character for alot of her run on AMC) into an evil kidnapper who was killed as an accomplice by her former good friend, solely to keep her from talking about Annie's role.  Pratt had/has no respect for characters' histories and treats the female characters, especially, in the worst way possible.  It wasn't necessary to recast the role for two brief episodes and trash the character, but that's Pratt for you.

Unrelated to Di, but I was/still am a devoted Zach and Kendall fan but even I can agree that there were other characters on AMC in the last decade or so, and other big, well-acted stories which deserve a look-back from time to time.  When I think about AMC and all that I miss, it isn't just Zendall that I think about.  :-)

As I recall, it was early Nov. 2008 when AMC was written by Chuck Pratt (no surprise).  He brought Di back for two episodes, played by a different actress since Kelli Giddish was no longer available.  Annie pretended Emma was kidnapped when in reality she was working with Aidan and Di to keep Emma away from Ryan.  In the first episode, Di made a two-second appearance at the end of the show where we realized she was working with Annie all along.  In the second episode, Ryan and Greenlee tracked down Emma and burst into the apartment to find Di having been shot by Annie, who claimed she'd shot Di in self-defense.  Di's dying words to Ryan and Greenlee implicated Annie in Emma's kidnapping. 

Thank you for the recap.  Sounds like her death was anticlimatic.  I thought Di had a lot of potential as a character with her ties to Dixie and the sort of love triangle developing with Tad and David.  Of course that all got thrown out the window. 

On a side note, I think they dipped into the Ryan's kid being kidnapped well a little too often on this show. 

You have to love Pratt, making a formerly heroic female character (albeit a supporting character for alot of her run on AMC) into an evil kidnapper who was killed as an accomplice by her former good friend, solely to keep her from talking about Annie's role.  Pratt had/has no respect for characters' histories and treats the female characters, especially, in the worst way possible.  It wasn't necessary to recast the role for two brief episodes and trash the character, but that's Pratt for you.

I feel like this rewriting of history to trash beloved chracters/storylines isn't just a Pratt thing, but something that a lot of soap writers seemed to be doing at the time.  One of the worst offenses was Erica's "unabortion" storyline with Josh.  I still can't believe that they went through all the trouble in creating this obsurd story where Erica's aborted fetus was actually alive, only to kill her son off a few years later.

With such a rich history that soaps have, I understand the desire to tap into the viewers nostalgia, but it all eventually became more about name dropping in the hopes of people tuning in during sweeps month than trying to actually write a decent storyline that respected the past.  It always seemed like the writers knew the viewers loved certain characters/storylines, but they didn't understand the reason why so when those stories were brought again they felt empty.

Unrelated to Di, but I was/still am a devoted Zach and Kendall fan but even I can agree that there were other characters on AMC in the last decade or so, and other big, well-acted stories which deserve a look-back from time to time.  When I think about AMC and all that I miss, it isn't just Zendall that I think about.  :-)

Oh, I hope I didn't come off like I was being negative towards the Zendall fans as a whole.  I think we all have a bit of tunnel vision when it comes to our favorites. 

• Love 1

I feel like this rewriting of history to trash beloved chracters/storylines isn't just a Pratt thing, but something that a lot of soap writers seemed to be doing at the time.  One of the worst offenses was Erica's "unabortion" storyline with Josh.  I still can't believe that they went through all the trouble in creating this absurd story where Erica's aborted fetus was actually alive, only to kill her son off a few years later.

I really cannot believe this made it to air.  If they wanted to give Erica another kid, there had to have been several ways to do it that didn't involve undoing that important moment in daytime history.

It's kinda why, even though the situations were completely different, that I appreciated that Prospect Park AMC showed Cassandra deciding to have an abortion.

Edited by TeeVee329

I really cannot believe this made it to air.  If they wanted to give Erica another kid, there had to have been several ways to do it that didn't involve undoing that important moment in daytime history.

By the time they decided to undo Erica's abortion, soaps were in the mindset that any shocking thing would get them ratings and press.  It just backfired for me, there were fans of the Kanes who wanted more Kanes and folks who were glad an abortion was undone, but I felt the entire thing was disgusting.  There were plenty of halfway logical ways to bring in a son for Erica, but that wouldn't have been as shocking as the poorly written sci-fi crap we got.

• Love 3

This might be a bit morbid, but I thought also kind of fitting.

And yeah I know Stuart came back, but at the time nobody probably knew that, so DC was probably playing it like it was for real. And did a great job as always.

Edited by AndySmith
  • Love 2

I went down an AMC rabbit hole last night on youtube (was up until 2am...really, what would we do without youtube to archive all this old stuff?!).  I stumbled on to this old clip from the early 90's with Jack and Brooke.  I vaguely remember Jack and Brooke hooking up in the early, maybe mid-2000s, but I didn't recall anything from the 90's.  I was around 10 or 11 at the time and even though I watched AMC with my mom, it was mostly during the summer and not every day. 

Anyway, the clip just made me laugh because it showed Brooke and Jack on the couch talking.  After a brief kiss, Brooke gives Jack the "eye".  Then she stands up and kind of pats down her pants to flatten out the wrinkles (why was that necessary if she was just going to take them off soon anyway?) and then saunters over to the bedroom.  It was so slow and just not sexy at all.   The next scene, they are in bed post-sex.  I'm assuming there wasn't any love scene or maybe the person who uploaded it decided to cut it out.  I would post a link to the clip, but I'm at work.  It was literally the funniest thing I've seen in awhile.   It just made think of how different it was compared to the modern day soap love scene where they would be ripping their clothes off and humping right there on the couch while some top 40 love song played in the background. 

The Brooke and Jack stuff turned into me watching Brooke and Edmund which turned into me watching Brooke and Tad.  I'd forgotten how charming and handsome Michael Knight was.  Woah!

I really miss AMC. It's still upsetting how the show was run into the ground by tptb.

IKR?  I can barely find anything on TV that holds my interest these days, and I could never get into any of the remaining soaps once AMC was cancelled.  I just stopped watching daytime soaps altogether.  Still, as infuriating as AMC became in it's final years, I've never been as emotionally connected to any other show as I was to AMC.  That was the beauty of original recipe soaps.  The characters and plot lines became cherished parts of your life.  I really miss that too.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, LydiaMoon1 said:

IKR?  I can barely find anything on TV that holds my interest these days, and I could never get into any of the remaining soaps once AMC was cancelled.  I just stopped watching daytime soaps altogether.  Still, as infuriating as AMC became in it's final years, I've never been as emotionally connected to any other show as I was to AMC.  That was the beauty of original recipe soaps.  The characters and plot lines became cherished parts of your life.  I really miss that too.

I feel the same way.  I watched OLTL, GH, ATWT and GL as well as AMC.  AMC was always my favorite.  Once all those shows were cancelled (except for GH, I just gave up on that one of my own volition because I couldn't stand Sonny), I just haven't been interested in seeking out any of the remaining shows.  I'm pretty sure they will all be gone within the next 10 years anyway which is really sad to think about.

1 hour ago, AndySmith said:

I def miss what I have seen from the 80s and 90s. The 2000s? Not so much.

I liked the early 2000 especially since one of my favorite couples got together during that time, but the writing definitely took a tumble by the end of AMC's run.  Even my favs weren't enough to keep me engaged by that point, but I think the show still had a lot of life left in it.  It just needed better writing and a network that was still willing to put some effort into supporting the genre. 

It annoys me that some of the old episode clips are being taken down on youtube.  There's over 50 years of history for some of these shows and the networks for some reason refuse to share or allow others to share.  I really don't understand the logic behind it.  If you aren't going to sell episodes to the fans or set up some way for us to access old content, stop taking down what the fans have put up! 

• Love 1

I was so sad to see Agnes Nixon had died. I know it was silly to still hope, but it's like AMC will never come back now. Agnes was such an incredible woman and she created a living, breathing community in Pine Valley. I miss it.

• Love 3

and, strangely enough she died in my area and I had know idea she lived here. She passed away in Rosemont, Pa which I beleive she modeled Pine Valley after. At least, one of the Philadelphia main line suburbs based on. RIP!

• Love 2

I loved AMC for the longest time. I will forever be an Erica Kane fan and Palmer and Adam's feuds were mermerizing. Agnes entertained millions of women (and men) and she impacted  many of their lives positively. The NY Times has a wonderful tribute to her: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/29/arts/television/agnes-nixon-who-injected-social-ills-into-soap-operas-dies-at-93.html

Rest in peace, Agnes.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 7

Anthony Addabbo, a soap actor who was the temp/replacement Dimitri Merrick (as well as had prior roles on B&B, GL, and Generations) has died at age 56.

His death was announced by his former B&B castmate (and former AMC actor!), Winsor Harmon on Facebook.

• Love 5

Man, do I miss this show.....

I was looking at clips of Mary Fickett as Ruth and ran across the episode, so close to the end of the network run that was dedicated to her after she died.  

Pretty damned awesome.  (Except for Krystal with a K, of course, but her presence is light).

• Love 1
11 hours ago, AndySmith said:

I always liked the Erica/Brooke rivalry. Also, is it just me, or were quite a few scenes filmed in the ladies powder room?

I loved their rivalry too.  I thought it was to the detriment of Erica's character when Brooke was gone, after Julia Barr was let go.  

And yes, powder room politics were big in Pine Valley - and in its day, so were dressing room showdowns at the Boutique.

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

Christmases in Pine Valley were always wonderful.  But among the best, the most touching, was Christmas of 2004, when Bianca woke as Erica put Miranda in her arms.

Damn, gets me every time.  Every time.....

Edited by boes
  • Love 3

I didn't want to come up with a new thread title so I'm reposting the final scene of the original All My Children

in order to announce this: The Chew has been cancelled! Of course this won't bring our beloved AMC back (GMA will be expanded another hour) but still, I love the smell of schadenfreude in the evening.

• Love 8
53 minutes ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I didn't want to come up with a new thread title so I'm reposting the final scene of the original All My Children

in order to announce this: The Chew has been cancelled! Of course this won't bring our beloved AMC back (GMA will be expanded another hour) but still, I love the smell of schadenfreude in the evening.

The Great and the Least, 
The Rich and the Poor,
The Weak and the Strong,
In Sickness and in Health,
In Joy and Sorrow,
In Tragedy and Triumph,
You are ALL MY CHILDREN

• Love 5

I checked Eden Riegel's Twitter for the first time in a while and she had a link to a TVLine article that featured the best sisters of TV - Kendall and Bianca were listed first (not #1 on the list per se, the list doesn't rank any of the pairs). But what I really loved about the tweet was the shout out she gave to Kinks fans:

This is the SWEETEST! Thanks @MattMitovich for recognizing our unstoppable sister act! The love between myself and @alicia_minshew extended far beyond the screen... right into the gutter!

Here's the article itself: TVLine Best Sisters

Those here who knew me on the old TWoP forum will remember that one of the times I met Eden at the annual AMC fan club luncheon, she signed my friend's book with "Kinks is love - yes, THAT kind of love!" Eden always had such an awesome sense of humor, as did Alicia.

• Love 4