Type keyword(s) to search

Alaska: The Last Frontier - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the manufactured drama just detracts from the show. For the past week we've been treated to previews of Otto lying in bed as his country doctor tells him he might be dead in 1-2 days. At last we see the whole scene and learn more of the back story. Otto has had a hernia for 20 or so years that he has been "to busy" to fix. OK, I could buy that - a lot of people put off medical/dental work which they shouldn't. Once we see the whole scene and hear the doctor, without the careful editing, Otto is not in imminent danger of dieing. The doctor is telling Otto the worst case scenario if he doesn't get it fixed. The hernia could rupture and if it causes sepsis, he might die. Aside from the bad acting, I could believe the scene, until Otto tries to act like the poor farmer. He tells the doc he could maybe work for the doc or give him some beef to pay for the surgery. This coming from someone various sites on the net claim is worth around $4 million.

Another segment of this episode has an incredibly selfish and insensitive Atz Lee setting off alone on a snowmobile to visit his hunters cabin. He fails to return before nightfall as planned, (although he did tell Jane not to worry if he wasn't home by dark) the next morning the worried family form a search party. After offering a lame apology to the family he tells them of his new grand plan to build another cabin. Jane did NOT appear happy.

• Love 4

There's a guy on Reddit who claims to be Eivin Kilcher's "best friend."

Interesting reading: https://www.reddit.com/user/FathomFish

He tells the doc he could maybe work for the doc or give him some beef to pay for the surgery. This coming from someone various sites on the net claim is worth around $4 million.

I forgot about that. Whoever wrote that script for him to say, should be fired.  It's common knowledge that Otto has enough money to pay.  Not to mention that Alaska is in the United States, so Obamacare.  Maybe Otto was just joking with the guy.

And one final piece of bullshit.  Despite all the gloom and doom about the terribly long Alaskan winters on the homestead, there are only 2 1/2 fewer hours daylight in mid-January in Homer than in Seattle:  7.5 hours of daylight in Homer, 9.25 hours of daylight in Seattle.

Edited by RemoteControlFreak
  • Love 4

It could be that I'm not remembering correctly and I've deleted the episode, but when everyone came looking for Atz Lee, one of the 4 wheelers had a trailer. After finding Atz Lee at the other guy's cabin they went to the hunter's cabin. When they left, the trailer was loaded with things from the hunter's cabin. Hmm, good thing they thought to bring a trailer. Also, when they came to the fork to go to either the hunter's cabin or the friend's cabin, why pick the trail to the fiend's cabin? Why not go to the hunter's cabin first since that was Atz Lee's original destination? Altho he did say he was going to stop in there, it's amazing that he just happened to be the first place they looked.

Now, after all that, let me say, I like this family and I like the show.

• Love 1

Probably the major cause for complaints about the show's content is because Discovery treats us as stupid....well, I can see why when we had to watch the stupidity of the coverage of the snow storm in NY and DC and the people stripping the store shelves.

• Love 1

Yeah, it is pretty obvious that the Kilchers are not poor or as isolated as the show would like us to believe.  I can, however, respect the fact that they do seem to want to live off the land as much as they can and take pride in obtaining their meat and vegetables through their own efforts rather than just hop in the car and go to the supermarket. 

The storyline of the Hunter's cabin is kind of ridiculous - Jane seems so not enthusiastic whatsoever at the idea of living that far into the wilderness and almost seemed too happy to "shelve" the idea after Atz Lee got hurt.  She may have hoped it was "shelved" permanently, although not because Atz Lee's injuries were so bad.  We'll see how this storyline goes.

I do like the show, I like the Kilcher family very much - and I am looking forward to next season (assuming there will be another)

• Love 4

Atz Lee's cabin looks like Disco looking for some, any new plot/theme to run on.  None of it makes sense.  How  is the family (within the "storyline") paying for anything that needs cash?  Oh, yes - I know it is all make believe - but they do need better writing.  Along their theme - Otto offering a cow as medical payment (oh - how we howled with laughter at that line) is that how Eivine and Eve pay for the baby delivery at the hospital? Oh, another cow?

I think the worst of the show is Otto's interior of the house.  My goodness - plywood walls after years and years living there?  Well, at least Otto got a hair cut and brushed his teeth.  Looks like they are in a race with the Alaska Bush Browns with their new teeth!

I think the worst of the show is Otto's interior of the house.  My goodness - plywood walls after years and years living there?  Well, at least Otto got a hair cut and brushed his teeth.  Looks like they are in a race with the Alaska Bush Browns with their new teeth!

Here's my take on Otto.... I can see him being a very depressed man, who goes about the work that has to be done on the farm on a daily basis.  When finished, he goes in the house and sleeps in a dark room, doesn't do things around the house unless he absolutely has to or is forced to.  Even I was surprised when he and Charlotte mentioned they basically live in the basement.  He does always seem chipper and talkative on camera, but people can be very deceiving -- he's acting.   I get the impression that Otto can be very cranky and even mean at times.  Its all about him all the time.    I have a close friend that has depression issues, and believe me when she HAS to go out or socialize with people, she's puts on a big act...  she could win an Emmy. 

I've also got the impression that Atz was a terrible father.  He rarely mentions his kids by name - it's always "my sons" or "my oldest/firstborn"   Very much a disconnect there.

I can see living that lifestyle has a lot of negatives. 

• Love 1
On 10/6/2014 at 0:09 PM, Maharincess said:

On 10/6/2014 at 0:09 PM, Maharincess said:

The only member of the Kilcher family I can't stand and I'm so happy she's never on the show is Jewell. I've hated her for years.

I'm quoting myself from page one.  Blech, I'm going to pass on the episodes that she's on. 

It's funny how Atz says Jewell hasn't been back since she left to become a singer and has never even brought her son home.  But now that the family has a successful show and her career tanked years ago, here she comes.  She must hate that they used to be known as "singer Jewell's family" and now she's second to them. 

I'm not really understanding the Atz Lee thing. He had a really bad accident and then the earthquake scared him so he leaves his family to go build a new cabin?  Did I miss something?  I'm happy to see that he's steadily recovering but I don't get why he left to build a new cabin. Are they separated and just don't want to say?  It sounds like he's planning to live there full time if he's talking about gardens and chicken coops. 

I love this show and am so happy it's back.  I love Otto, Charlotte Eve and Eivan and all of them.  If I had to pick a least favorite it would have to be Jane but even she doesn't bother me too much. 

Did anyone else watch or am I talking to myself?  It's bad enough I quoted myself so somebody come talk to me!! 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

I watched.

I got a bit tired of hearing about Atz Lee's accident after about the 15th time it had been mentioned...which I think was only about 30 minutes in.  We get it already.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out with Atz Lee and Jane.  I wouldn't want to move 30 miles farther away from the rest of the family and what passes for civilization either.  That becomes less adventurous the older you get.  He's got a plan for running water but it will be rough living otherwise.  When they showed footage last season of what it took to get back to that place during the summer it's barely accessible by ATV.

I'm actually interested in seeing the Jewell episode(s).  I did kind of raise an eyebrow when they said she'd not been back in years and had never brought her son there.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Maharincess said:

It's funny how Atz says Jewell hasn't been back since she left to become a singer and has never even brought her son home.  But now that the family has a successful show and her career tanked years ago, here she comes.  She must hate that they used to be known as "singer Jewell's family" and now she's second to them. 

He did not say that. He said she has not been home in "6 or 7 years."  Her son is 5, so that's why he's never been there.  

There are a lot of questionable things about this episode, like Eve's manufactured horror at the wreckage in the root cellar -- obviously filmed months after the actual event -- or the over-dramatization of the damage to the Beach road, or the characterization of Kilcher Road as something only used in an emergency or to barter with someone.  But the Jewel time frame is not one of them.

23 hours ago, Maharincess said:

As MissT said back in February, I question just how good Otto and Atz were as fathers while their kids were growing up. I think there are some skeletons rattling around the Kilcher closets. Certainly, from what I've been reading this evening, Jewel has some not so nice things to say about her family history.  http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2015/09/18/jewel-details-struggles-with-family-divorce-and-debt-in-new-memoir-album.html

As far as Jewel and her career goes, I really don't get the "tanked" comment. I've never been a big fan, just googled her when I saw that comment. Yes, she jumped around to multiple types of music, pop, dance, country, children songs, holiday albums, folk, etc. I think she was always sort of a niche singer, never really cut out for big time recording labels. She is no longer a big time superstar like she was in the late 90s when she was all over the media. But, she still puts out albums, writes songs, and has a album and a book coming out this year. In fact, if what I read is correct, her last album peaked at number one on the US Folk Music Billboard list - not the big album sales of pop or country, but I wouldn't write off her music career off just yet. Back to her and daddy Atz, I really wonder if there wasn't some bad blood when she left home as a 15yo. Despite the attempts to portray the Kilcher as poor homesteaders, everything I read says they're pretty well off. So, when Jewel left home as a teenager to pursue a music career I wonder about the apparent lack of support from Atz and Uncle Otto. I mean the story is she was holding fund drives in Homer to raise money to go to music school. Then she ends up living with her mother in San Diego, Atz' ex, essentially homeless living in an old VW van while trying to break into the music business. Oh, and despite apparently not having a lot contact with Atz, she maintained family ties with brother Shane and her mother. Apparently they remain involved in the non profit she formed in the late 90s and continues to support. My final thought, she's made a lot of money through the years, and those "net worth" lists on the Web have all the Kilcher households as multimillionaires, but if correct, Jewel's total net worth is more than than rest of the family combined.

Edited by SRTouch
Wording changed
  • Love 3

I seem to be the only person still watching the show. 

The family seems to be getting sick of the fake, scripted crap. Otto made a few sarcastic comments during the recent episode. I don't remember all of the comments he said but when he was fixing the manure spreader he very sarcastically said "yeah, if we don't get this fixed we're all going to die". 

Eivan and Eve also made comments. I think they're tired of being told what to say and do for the show.  Maybe not but that's the impression I got from the recent epipodes. 

• Love 4

I'm still watching - barely.    I really have lost interest in the show.   I find myself rolling my eyes at some things.   Getting really tired of Atz Lee and the woe is me attitude.   He seems selfish like his father.  Jane is annoying as well, but I can see her going back to the city and leaving his ass!!  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

I seem to be the only person still watching the show. 

The family seems to be getting sick of the fake, scripted crap. Otto made a few sarcastic comments during the recent episode. I don't remember all of the comments he said but when he was fixing the manure spreader he very sarcastically said "yeah, if we don't get this fixed we're all going to die". 

I totally get that. I still have the DVR set to record new episodes, but it's not unusual these days for me to delete an episode without watching. Actually, I use this forum to help decide if I'll watch or delete.

1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

Eivan and Eve also made comments. I think they're tired of being told what to say and do for the show.  Maybe not but that's the impression I got from the recent epipodes. 

I actually enjoyed the watching the refurbishment of the spreader and Eivan building the squeeze chute. These are the type things I watch for, not the silly, often dangerous, things we are sometimes treated to. Ok, the spreader was sort of manufactured drama that just "had" to get done or the cows would starve. But it was interesting to watch Otto turn junk into a useful piece of equipment. I suppose I'd rather see them occasionally acknowledge that some of what we see is manufactured TV drama.

1 hour ago, MissT said:

I'm still watching - barely.    I really have lost interest in the show.   I find myself rolling my eyes at some things.   Getting really tired of Atz Lee and the woe is me attitude.   He seems selfish like his father.  Jane is annoying as well, but I can see her going back to the city and leaving his ass!!  

The Atz Lee / Jane drama is definitely NOT why I watch. I would like to see the saw mill turn trees into lumber, and like the primitive backwoods cabin build. Now I find myself fast forwarding through the cabin build because I don't want to watch yet another Atz Lee woe is me moment. I did stop and watch when I noticed sheets of plywood being used for the cabin floor. Did I miss them sledding in building supplies, or was that something that just magically appeared?  If I'm going to watch a couple struggling to establish a homestead, I'd rather watch Shane, who I find likeable.

• Love 3

Speaking of Shane - Why is no one helping this guy?  His house should have been finished by now.   His father is helping Atz Lee all the time.   He and his wife seem like kind people.   

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, MissT said:

Speaking of Shane - Why is no one helping this guy?  His house should have been finished by now.   His father is helping Atz Lee all the time.   He and his wife seem like kind people.   

Totally agree. We see him and wife struggling to go it alone, and neither one are at full strength. 

• Love 4

I also wondered why nobody is helping Shane and Kelli, hopefully they're getting help behind the scenes. 

Does anybody follow the family on social media?  I'm wondering what's happening with Atz Lee and Jane in real time, it sure seems to me like they're setting up to announce a divorce. 

• Love 5

Am I the only one that thought Jane looked like an idiot trying to "pull the calf" with only gloves.  (In the "real world" small pulling chains are used because the calf's feet are so slimy!!)  The calf was coming normally & she just caused more grief for the cow.  Just sayin'.

P.S.  I have the show set to tape on my DVR & I'm "this close" to deleting it because it's more B.S. than I can swallow.  (I'm just waiting for Jewel.)

• Love 2

I had to switch off of this recently and I used to be a fan.  I fear that bad production has caused the show to go awry.

My major issue is WHY in the world, would Atz Lee and his dad be working on a completely unnecessary Third house.  He has his main house, then the one they use when far from the main house and NOW he wants another one? AND his brother Shane is working to get his FIRST house set up before Winter.  It's beyond dysfunctional.

Either they didn't think it through when filming or they just didn't care. Atz Lee's comments make no sense. I wonder if he just wants another place to live.  Either way, it looks ridiculous.  Shane's wife is sick.  They need her house sooner than later.  What's so difficult about that to understand? All hands were on deck after Atz Lee's fall, but after he recovered, then why not then resume help to Shane and his wife?  I think I"m done.  I didn't even have the patience to hang around to see Jewel.  

I'm not amused by a person who refuses to use due care and follow medical advice after surgery.  It's ridiculous.  I've seen people who did lift and strain and ended up back into surgery.  It doesn't mean you are strong. It means you are foolish. 

• Love 4

Alaska: The Last Frontier, I'm on to you.

I'm on to you showing what you say is Thanksgiving (which is in November) but everyone is wearing T-shirts and tank tops and all the leaves are still on the trees.  Or showing people reacting to an earthquake that happened in January in what is obviously mid-summer.  Eve pretending to just discover the toppled jars in the root cellar, I'm looking at you.

I'm on to you acting like the "homestead" is an all-day trip to the nearest town when clearly the trip Otto and Charlotte took to get to the doctor took about 30 minutes, tops. (thanks Google maps).

I'm on to you pretending that the family grows, or barters for, all the food they eat when there is a bunch of bananas on the kitchen counter.

I'm on to you trying to act as if no one hardly drives a car anywhere, ever, to go anywhere, when a long shot from the sky shows a parking lot full of cars on the homestead. 

I'm on to you telling every little life situation, from moving a refrigerator to out-patient hernia surgery, as if it's a life or death event.

Please stop.

P.S., And while we're at it, just once can you stop always referring to "Otto and his wife Charlotte" and "Eiven's wife Eve" and defining women only in terms of their relationship to their husband, father, or brothers?  How about "Charlotte and her husband Otto," for a change?  Thanks.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I had to switch off of this recently and I used to be a fan.  I fear that bad production has caused the show to go awry.

My major issue is WHY in the world, would Atz Lee and his dad be working on a completely unnecessary Third house.  He has his main house, then the one they use when far from the main house and NOW he wants another one? AND his brother Shane is working to get his FIRST house set up before Winter.  It's beyond dysfunctional.

Either they didn't think it through when filming or they just didn't care. Atz Lee's comments make no sense. I wonder if he just wants another place to live.  Either way, it looks ridiculous.  Shane's wife is sick.  They need her house sooner than later.  What's so difficult about that to understand? All hands were on deck after Atz Lee's fall, but after he recovered, then why not then resume help to Shane and his wife?  I think I"m done.  I didn't even have the patience to hang around to see Jewel.  

I'm not amused by a person who refuses to use due care and follow medical advice after surgery.  It's ridiculous.  I've seen people who did lift and strain and ended up back into surgery.  It doesn't mean you are strong. It means you are foolish. 

I would not assume that:

1. The house Atz and Atz Lee are working on is actually for Atz Lee to live in, rather than simply a project that makes good television.  I would also not assume that the house is as far out in the sticks as it appears to be.

2. Shane and Kelly don't have a perfectly good house in town that they're living in and the construction of their house on the homestead is a long term project that's being dragged out to make a good story.

3. Otto's surgery recovery timeline is what it appears to be on TV.  

• Love 1
6 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

Alaska: The Last Frontier, I'm on to you.

I'm on to you showing what you say is Thanksgiving (which is in November) but everyone is wearing T-shirts and tank tops and all the leaves are still on the trees.  Or showing people reacting to an earthquake that happened in January in what is obviously mid-summer.  Eve pretending to just discover the toppled jars in the root cellar, I'm looking at you.

I'm on to you acting like the "homestead" is an all-day trip to the nearest town when clearly the trip Otto and Charlotte took to get to the doctor took about 30 minutes, tops. (thanks Google maps).

I'm on to you pretending that all the family grows, or barters for, all the food they eat when there is a bunch of bananas on the kitchen counter.

I'm on to you trying to act as if no one hardly drives a car anywhere, ever, to go anywhere, when a long shot from the sky shows a parking lot full of cars on the homestead. 

I'm on to you telling every little life situation, from moving a refrigerator to out-patient hernia surgery, as if it's a life or death event.

Please stop.

P.S., And while we're at it, just once can you stop always referring to "Otto and his wife Charlotte" and "Eiven's wife Eve" and defining women only in terms of their relationship to their husband, father, or brothers?  How about "Charlotte and her husband Otto," for a change?  Thanks.

Exactly!!  I couldn't have said it better myself.  They're assuming their fans are totally ignorant & unaware ... BIG mistake ... losing viewers!!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

For those interested, here's the map from Otto's house to Doc Sayer's office. -- 12 miles and about 25 minutes according to Google.

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 5.48.55 PM.png

• Love 1

I think I'm done with this show.  I've watched it since day one and just bored to death.  Once I saw that fake thanksgiving I turned the channel.   All the "we love and take care of family, neighbors and friends" is BS.    

Edited by MissT
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, RemoteControlFreak said:

For those interested, here's the map from Otto's house to Doc Sayer's office -- 12 miles and about 25 minutes. 

Way back when, after one of the "if this hunt fails we'll starve this winter" statements, I did the same type thing with the nearest grocery store. Been a long time, now, but IIRC a Safeway is just a short drive. Just looked again, google maps says a little over 11 miles, a 20 minute drive. So, if the deer hunt that they paid a private plane to fly them to some remote island fails, hop in one of the cars and go to the store.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, MissT said:

I think I'm done with this show.  I've watched it since day one and just bored to death.  Once I saw that fake thanksgiving I turned the channel.   All the "we love and take care of family, neighbors and friends" is BS.    

I watched a couple minutes of the Thanksgiving episode at first, hit FF, watched a couple more minutes, then deleted the rest. I used to defend the fake drama as poetic license, but am about ready to give up.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Way back when, after one of the "if this hunt fails we'll starve this winter" statements, I did the same type thing with the nearest grocery store. Been a long time, now, but IIRC a Safeway is just a short drive. Just looked again, google maps says a little over 11 miles, a 20 minute drive. So, if the deer hunt that they paid a private plane to fly them to some remote island fails, hop in one of the cars and go to the store.

The Safeway is 1.2 miles from Doc Sayer's.  

Screen Shot 2016-11-22 at 6.05.32 PM.png

• Love 2

I'm REALLY starting to dislike Atz Lee. He seems like a dick head to me.  He's admitted that he's the least adept at homesteading stuff but has a fit when people don't want to do things his way. He acts like a spoiled brat most of the time.  Out of everyone on the show, Jane has always been my least favorite but now her husband is tied for last place in my book.

Still loving Otto though. I love his sense of humor and think some of the things he does are ingenious. I could sit on the porch all day with him just watching him work and listening to his stories. Love him. 

For all of my bitching, I do like the show a lot. I just wish they'd stop with the fake, scripted crap though. Their lifestyle and the things they do are interesting enough, the fake stuff just isn't necessary. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

For all of my bitching, I do like the show a lot. I just wish they'd stop with the fake, scripted crap though. Their lifestyle and the things they do is interesting enough, the fake stuff just isn't necessary. 

Totally agree. 

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Maharincess said:

I'm REALLY starting to dislike Atz Lee. He seems like a dick head to me.  He's admitted that he's the least adept at homesteading stuff but has a fit when people don't want to do things his way. He acts like a spoiled brat most of the time.  Out of everyone on the show, Jane has always been my least favorite but now her husband is tied for last place in my book.

Still loving Otto though. I love his sense of humor and think some of the things he does are ingenious. I could sit on the porch all day with him just watching him work and listening to his stories. Love him. 

For all of my bitching, I do like the show a lot. I just wish they'd stop with the fake, scripted crap though. Their lifestyle and the things they do are interesting enough, the fake stuff just isn't necessary. 

I think Atz Lee takes after his father, who also strikes me as a bit of an asshole.  Eiven seems to take after his father, Otto - I really like them both.

I still watch too, but the fakery makes me roll my eyes so hard I get dizzy. 

• Love 7

I knew that paralyzed cow was going to get up the minute I saw Charlotte walking with Otto on that final morning.  If he was really going to shoot her Charlotte would have been far away.  She'd never watch.  For pity sake, get Shane's house built already!!!!

• Love 5

Notice that Eivan and Otto (and for the first partt, Atz Lee) were on hand to help get timber for Shane's house, but his Dad, Atz was not.  Allegedly, he was busy entertaining Jewel and his grandson; except when they found time to help out a friend/neighbor with his cattle drive, that is.  Hmmmm...

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 4

For the handful of us still watching the show...

Producer driven story line with AtzL all by his lonesome like a bird with 2 broken wings, working on his shack, when we saw an able bodied teen, apparently Jane's and AtzL's kid who could have helped if he isn't schooled in town.

Hey Atz, instead of helping AtzL build a shack he needs as a get away place, help Shane finish his house to get out of the tepee.

Fave "white rabbit " gifts:

Stone axe-the handle is gnarly awesome

Replica of Euell's homestead

WTF "white rabbit" gifts:

AtzL spa treatments...look for Kachemek Bay mud facial treatment in your local  Bass Pro Shops Health and Beauty aisles.

Hairy and wooly shorts...itchy and scratchy

• Love 2

You beat me to it, M.C. 

Here you have just two people, desperately trying to get their home built before Winter freezes them out, and there's nobody there to help them?  And we see Atz Lee getting help to build his "time alone" cabin?  Really?

I know editing and such enters in here.  But as a viewer, I am scratching my head to see one couple who really needs the help not getting any (other than getting those logs up there) and seeing another getting help when their time could be used much better elsewhere.  Just very odd storytelling.

• Love 5
On 1/15/2017 at 10:59 PM, Medicine Crow said:

I don't understand why everyone is helping Atz Lee build a vanity cabin when his brother & his wife are desperately building "their home" alone.  Anyone???

Ah, another little example of Atz favoring the other boys over Shane. During tonight's hunt with Nikos, Atz comments how great this year has been, son Nikos getting 2 deer on the first day of his first deer hunt, and building a cabin with son Atz Lee. Hey, what about son Shane, who has been trying to build a cabin, like... FOREVER. 

• Love 6

Had a couple of questions for anyone that lives or has been to Alaska.  In the show last night Atz was complaining how when he was a little kid you opened your door and their were moose, bear and deer right there.  Now with global warming they have to go to some of the distant islands to hunt.  My question is this.  Could it more likely be that this game was over hunted and that since they live 10-15 min from Homer, AK and that their are so many people living in the area?  This is not a dispute about whether Global Warming exists....Just the fact that I don't buy it's the reason wildlife is not that available anymore near them.

Also, that boat Eiven built could not have been cheap.

Edited by zipbags
  • Love 5
30 minutes ago, zipbags said:

Had a couple of questions for anyone that lives or has been to Alaska.  In the show last night Atz was complaining how when he was a little kid you opened your door and their were moose, bear and deer right there.  Now with global warming they have to go to some of the distant islands to hunt.  My question is this.  Could it more likely be that this game was over hunted and that since they live 10-15 min from Homer, AK and that their are so many people living in the area?  This is not a dispute about whether Global Warming exists....Just the fact that I don't buy it's the reason wildlife is not that available anymore near them.

Also, that boat Eiven built could not have been cheap.

I have a friend who lives near Anchorage, in a nice suburban area.  She's constantly sending me pics of moose in her front & back yards.  A while back, a moose calved in the parking lot of her local grocery store. 

Now, perhaps the area aroung the Kilcher homestead is over hunted, or perhaps this is made for Disco drama.

• Love 3

I watched the repeat about the paralyzed cow.  I realize that Charlotte is quite sensitive about the animals, but, don't they kill cattle all the time? isn't that what you do on a ranch?  Maybe, I missed the part about this being her private pet cow or something.  It's just that having lived on a ranch for all these years, I'm amazed that it seems like it's so foreign to her.  

I've grown so skeptical of the fake scenes that I wonder if that paralyzed cow really recovered that I wonder if they just replaced the disabled one with a look-a-like and pretended it was a miracle.  I know...I'm bad, but, hey.......there's a reason I think that way about this show.