Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E13: New York State of Mind

• Start Topic

I'm so mad!  I think Kini should have won.  I didn't like Dom's fabrics and I really felt she got the most criticism.  I thought for sure it was going to be Kini.  :(

• Love 14

I'm not sad that Dom won, but I would have been happier if Kini had won.  I loved the plaids he used, but I have an unreasonable love of plaid so I recognize I could be biased.  Ken's was lovely but nothing unique.

So, the whole mannequin falling with the painted print - was everything dry?  Because we never heard anything else about it and they looked like 2 different prints.

• Love 6

I liked everything Ken designed, but that's just me and my taste. I loved the yellow he threw in there. I like how much more humbled he was compared to his season. 

I'm on the fence with Dom and Kini's collections. I loved the first two looks of Dom's but not the ones at the end. 

Kini's was different which I liked but it did look like 80's style clothes. 

So congrats to Dom, she really is an artist and talented.

side note: I think this was the best Allysa looked. The plain black dress was a little Addams family Leticia, but the choker necklace was cool. Why did the audience look so bored at the runway show? 

• Love 16

I thought Dom would win.  I like her a lot so I am happy about that.  Her print missed but she is an artist as someone said. 

Loved Kens cream suit and Kini's plaid creations were good.  

Isaac, fix your teeth.  You have the money;  fashion icons usually do.  ***eye roll***

• Love 4

This may be the only time I can remember liking the final runway! Not every single item and certainly nothing was mind-blowing, but overall all three collections were solid. Usually there is at least one head-scratcher in the bunch.

• Love 13

I wasn't really blown away by any of the collections, but I liked individual pieces quite a lot. I WAS surprised that Dom won, as all the judging seemed to be pointing toward Kini getting the prize. I thought Dom and Ken each received more criticism. I liked all three finalists, though, which surprised me considering some of the contestants this season.

I also never quite "get" what judges are going for in terms of cohesion. Ken was knocked for too much of the same collar, while Dom was praised for a whole lot of the same sleeve. Something that never happens, though, is that I get to think about what I would wear, since it's all women's wear, and tonight we got a male look by each designer! I have to say that Kini's would win for me! They didn't mention it, but wasn't the male jacket related to the first female look in Kini's collection? It looked great, and I know that they pointed out that the guy pant was the same plaid fabric of one of the female looks. Nicely done.

• Love 11
(edited)

I was most disappointed in my boyfriend Dmitry praising Dom's collection.  I thought every thing she made was ugly, tired and unwearable.  But I figure she'll be just as "successful" now as she has been for the last 3 years.  Completely NOT.  This win won't make her talented or commercial, so whatevs.  And I don't see any art in plain painted strokes on fabric.  Your average toddler can accomplish the exact same "art".  

I preferred Ken's collection to the others, and like many before me, I find it hard to believe I'm saying I think he should have won.  But I do.   I'm as sick of Kini's same stiff ruffled looks as I am of Dom's crappily painted fabric and multi-length hemlines.   Both are the epitome of a one-way monkey. 

This season sucked.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 13

Called Dom's win the moment the cast list was announced. We're going to have a previous winner win every season they participate in. 

I'm not mad about it, because I really do think she's the best designer of the three. Still, it would be nice to see someone else get a chance. Dom got the biggest prize package in the history of Project Runway the first time, and parlayed it into...domstreater.com. 

• Love 8
(edited)

I knew that Dom was going to win, just because I liked her collection the least, and my opinion is usually the direct opposite of the judges.  I wasn't crazy about many of her looks, and I really didn't like the first runway dress - nothing about it.  I didn't like the painted print, shape or design.  The rest of her collection didn't wow me, either.  Again, with the two level skirt that makes absolutely no sense for anyone.

From a personal perspective, I liked Ken's the best.  I loved all the pieces he presented.  When the Marie Claire lady said it was "too commercial", I knew he would be in the bottom.  I loved his first look, it was very reminiscent of Laura Bennett's collection during her season.  And, that cream suit was to die for.  Yes, it wasn't overly creative, but it was his look, for sure.  That yellow gown was striking.

I thought that Kini's collection should have won, just because I thought it was well thought out, wonderfully designed and very creative.  (Also - I don't think it's fair that a PR winner should win PRAS, too.)  Would I personally wear any of it?  Maybe a few of the pieces, but not as many as I would wear of Ken's.  

I guess I'm just a "NJ mall" kind of girl.  Hey, editor of Marie Claire - you do know that Short Hills Mall is in NJ, and has most of same high-end fashion stores as Manhattan??  After seeing that woman, I now understand why Nina Garcia is as bitchy as she is - I guess bitchiness is a job requirement at Marie Claire.

Loved Debra Messing, and I thought her critiques were well thought out and constructive.  

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 15

Haven't watched. Don't need to.

I'm outtie on PRAS. As many of us have said, a former winner is going to win this every time now, so why bother? I'm sure Ashley Nell Tipton will be on the next cast list and she'll win this one, too.

Done. And done.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, PepperMonkey said:

Haven't watched. Don't need to.

I'm outtie on PRAS. As many of us have said, a former winner is going to win this every time now, so why bother? I'm sure Ashley Nell Tipton will be on the next cast list and she'll win this one, too.

Done. And done.

The only way that a former winner winning again would be fair is if they did a cast made up completely of former winners and "first runners up". 

• Love 7

I have liked Dom all season but didn't like her final collection at all. The print the judges were raving about looks like a toddler smushed together all the colors in his paint set. Her finale gown was just awful. She got the most criticism, but as soon as the snotty Marie Claire lady said "artistic" I knew she would win. Ken made a very elegant collection, but it was nothing new or wow. I thought Kini should have won. His outfits were not something I would wear, but they were original and interesting. I really liked the blue dress with the bow and the male look. 

• Love 10

Such a surprise.  I'm going to have a heart attack and die from that surprise.  

Whoever the mean lady judge was seemed to like Kini a lot, so I thought perhaps he might win, but it seemed pretty certain from the get-go that this was going to be Dom's, despite some moments of fear that Sam might somehow slip through.    

I think this iteration needs to go quietly into the night never to return.  Bring on more Juniors and forget All Stars!  The participants are better, the conditions are better, and the judges are MUCH better.  Christian gives constructive input and does not babble incomprehensible nonsense to push a personal favorite, just for starters.  

• Love 8
(edited)
6 hours ago, MyFavShows said:

I thought Ken should have won - all his pieces were gorgeous, wearable and well made.  Yeah, nothing was radically different, but I think both Dom's and Kini's collections were awful, and I usually like their work - especially Kini's. I hated Dom's sloppily painted prints, and those fabrics Kini picked were so ugly and dated.  Oh well, I always seem disagree w/ the AS judges, so no surprise the collection I liked best was 3rd.

Edited by MyFavShows
  • Love 4
(edited)

Does Zanna add anything to this show? Let me answer that for you: no, she does not. Her comments when she was backstage with each designer during the runways were embarrassing.   She sounded so childish. Like a 12 year old girl squealing with delight. 

/end rant/sorry/I'm in a terrible mood/

PS: I thought Kini should have won. 

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 11
(edited)

Liked all 3 collections and would have been happy with any of them winning.  But I have to agree with the judges when they say that Dom has an artist's eye.  Her impressionistic dress was a stunning piece of art.  She could be a standout artist if design didn't work out for her.  The other print she made fit the theme, but wasn't original.  I keep saying 'they had 4 days' because their collections would have been tighter had they gotten more time to work on them.  I try, mentally, to look at the vision they were going for when critiquing, as they undoubtedly took shortcuts based on time.

Agree totally with all who say past winners should have their own 'winner off' instead of pitting them against folks they already beat.  Takes the fun out of seeing the redemption of the also-rans.

Edited by ownedbysetters
  • Love 4
28 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

I have liked Dom all season but didn't like her final collection at all. The print the judges were raving about looks like a toddler smushed together all the colors in his paint set. Her finale gown was just awful. She got the most criticism, but as soon as the snotty Marie Claire lady said "artistic" I knew she would win. Ken made a very elegant collection, but it was nothing new or wow. I thought Kini should have won. His outfits were not something I would wear, but they were original and interesting. I really liked the blue dress with the bow and the male look. 

Again, I think this was a case of the judges being swayed by the designer's "story".  Dom did receive the most criticism, but she sold her collection by explaining her design concept.  

I'm sorry - when I go into a store to buy something, or look through a fashion magazine and am immediately drawn to an outfit, I am not hearing or reading the "backstory" about what made the designer create that look.  I'm liking it because of the cut, color, style and taste level of the garment.  

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Does Zana add anything to this show? Let me answer that for you: no, she does not. Her comments when she was backstage with each designer during the runways were embarrassing.   She sounded so childish. Like a 12 year old girl squealing with delight. 

/end rant/sorry/I'm in a terrible mood/

Whoa, whoa, whoa ... Zana gave us "Sex on legs!" which in my mind ranks a solid second to Isaac's "She looks like a fabulous insect!" remark earlier this season.

p.s. you should get some sleep, maybe tomorrow will be better :)

• Love 5

I'm on the West coast so have only seen the first few minutes.  I just realized that the reason I keep watching this sham of a show is to see what disaster Alyssa is wearing.  Not disappointed so far - unflattering to her pretty figure, and for some reason she has a menorah across her chest.  You can't blame it all on her stylist.

• Love 3

I thought all three designers were evenly matched and that any of them could have won.   But my biggest takeaway from this episode is how radically the atmosphere had changed once we were rid of Sam.   It was like the morning after an exorcism.  Everyone seemed more relaxed, more congenial.   Nobody was designing under the threat of being eliminated due to one judge's favoritism.

Sam was noticeably absent from the runway festitivities, too.   Yay!

Best line of the episode:

Ken: "I need some help, so I hope it's Jesus coming through that door."

• Love 21

Dom's "prints" were some of the ugliest things I've seen on any iteration of Project Runway.  I didn't think that first print was Impressionistic, it was just an ugly conglomeration of colors.  The homemade plaid was awful.  I like what Dom has done for previous challenges but this, fugly.  Everytime they showed one of her creations I had to yell fugly.

I liked alot of Ken's line and even tho' I absolutely hate that color yellow, that final model was stunning in that dress.  I wasn't innovative but was gorgeous.  The one next to it with the cullotes, ugh.  That yellow did not go well with the ivory color.

I'm not a fan of some of that fabric that Kini used but I liked practically all of his collection.  

I agree, Zanna is the most useless mentor ever.

The Marie Claire judge was apparently out voted on this.  She was grumpy but seemed pretty knowledgable, (as opposed to ZANNA who works for her).

Debra Messing needs to go away, now.  

• Love 9

They finished in the exact opposite order of how I liked them. I thought Dom's prints were ugly, & KIni's collection was just a little too....something. I don't know what, but something about it was too much. I loved Ken's collection, it was beautiful & elegant & I was rooting for him (who would ever think I would type that last sentence?) so of course he came in third. Friggin' judges, Ann Fullenwider didn't like anything, don't have her back.

• Love 7

I'm not upset with the win, but then I've been a Dom fan all along. Her collection didn't completely wow me, and I loved the train on her finale piece, but not the way the pattern was placed... but I liked it a lot better than Kini's plaid brocade. His Alice bands scared me in the hair studio, but I realize he was doing it for cohesiveness and it turned out okay. Although Ken's was more commercial (horrors!), he had some wonderful ideas, I liked the first pant, the cream coat, and the pop of yellow, and actually found his menswear most appealing of the three.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, GaT said:

They finished in the exact opposite order of how I liked them. I thought Dom's prints were ugly, & KIni's collection was just a little too....something. I don't know what, but something about it was too much. I loved Ken's collection, it was beautiful & elegant & I was rooting for him (who would ever think I would type that last sentence?) so of course he came in third. Friggin' judges, Ann Fullenwider didn't like anything, don't have her back.

This is why I think Ken is the ultimate winner for the season.  Not only has he rehabbed his image, but he has shown he can make great clothing.  Yeah, he isn't going to be making the freshest clothing...but I've seen what the judges call fresh and apparently its a mesh jumpsuit with flats (FLATS!!!!!!).  Ken is probably the designer I would want to wear.  When he was on regular PR, his clothing wasn't really cute at all, IMO.

Yeah, maybe he didn't bring home the prize, but he is one of the very few designers that I've done a complete 180 on.  When this season started I knew I didn't like Ken, Asha and Sam.  I'll never like Asha, Sam continued to be a little shit, but liking Ken was such a surprise.  And I see other posters feel the same way which is cool.  Good for him.  I'm glad that he took the feedback from his season to heart.

2 hours ago, Monty said:

That shirt Dom made for her guy looked like the shirt Denise sewed for Theo.

I'll always have love for someone that can make an appropriate Cosby Show reference.

Will say that Theo wore it better.

• Love 19
(edited)

Not really getting why a past winner shouldn't win if they are the best of the bunch. Should they be eliminated just because? I don't really think All Stars is about "redemption", either. It's about giving a group of past contestants another opportunity to showcase their talents. Whoever does the best job this time around should win, regardless of how s/he did the first time. Frankly, I was thrilled when Seth Aaron won his PRAS season, and thought the free ride given to people like Mondo was the most horrible pandering to the fanbase who threw a fit over Gretchen's win. 

As for criticism, this is a show that wants to build suspense. The entire critique is never aired. Who knows what was actually said there. I have never based expectations on what comments make the edit. 

Anyway, I checked out of this shit after Stella left, because I literally could not have cared less about the remaining designers. I don't regret that decision at all. 

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4

This had to be the most underwhelming finale ever. Everyone's collection was either hideous (Kini) or meh... (Ken) or just too loud (Dom) for anyone to actually wear. 

Kini is super talented, but I was going to throw a shoe at my TV if they gave him the win. Those ridiculous looking over emphasized puffy and pointy sleeves he often does drive me crazy. I can't figure out if they're inspired by Elton John or Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band. Couple that with that insane fuchsia plaid, and I was ready to vomit. 

Ken's collection was okay, but okay shouldn't win Project Runway All Stars. Most of his collection looked like something you could get a Macy's. I did love the cream jacket, but it wasn't functional. No woman wants to wear something that's going to make her afraid that her boob's going to fall out. And if you're going to have to wear a blouse underneath in order to prevent that from happening, then that deflates the whole design. Plus, leggings? Really? That garment would have looked richer with a well tailored pant.

Dom's collection didn't 'wow' me either, but at least she got creative. It was gutsy of her (or insane) to take on the task of painting her own fabric when she only had 4 days to come up with 8 looks, and she wasn't aware that anyone was going to be brought in to help her. I'm glad she won.

• Love 3

I knew Ken wouldn't win, so I'm glad Dom did. I thought Kini's collection was hideous. I apparently have zero fashion sense because the judges - and the fashion bloggers- never agree with me, so I was pretty sure Kini would win. I didn't much care for Dom's collection, either, but I could at least look at (most of) it without retching. I liked Ken's, but I knew he was doomed when the Marie Claire editor slammed it for being "too commercial".

I'm tired of being able to predict who will win as soon as we see which returning winner is in the cast. Can't they at least cast two winners, if not more? I'm thinking Ashley and Gretchen might be appropriate. The combination would at least probably garner so few viewers that we could finally get this iteration of PR off the air. Small mercies.

I'd like to say I'm out, but even though it's a hate-watching trainwreck, I'll probably be back for the next round - if there is one.

• Love 2

I must say I also expected Dom to win.  Even though I am not a fan of prints, hers were more runway oriented and cohesive. 

Ken's were the most wearable and fashion forward of the line but as the judges said, his were more commercial than runway oriented

Kini's were to me, carbon dated to the 80s and not very fashion forward at all.  Although I liked a couple of his pieces, most looked more like something Alex Carrington of Dynasty would have worn on the show. 

Hence I understood why Kini was 3rd, Ken was 2nd and Dom won.

• Love 4

There are always a few designers on PRAS that I'm happy to see again.  I was happy to see Fade, I just like him even though I don't completely understand his designs.  I was happy to be surprised by liking Ken this time around.  And, I would love to see Swapnil again without that ugliness that is making me abandon regular PR next season.  I also wouldn't mind if they brought Seth Aaron around for a third time...I know, I know....I'm so wrong, but he is just one of those designers whose clothing I adore, even if I don't like him.

I wonder what Ashley is up to these days.....designing wearable flower pots?  Getting ready to return that leased Lexus?

• Love 9
(edited)

My favorite moment of this episode was when Alyssa introduced the final runway by telling everyone present that the designers had only four days to create their collections and the camera cut to Christopher looking over at another designer and shaking his head with this disgusted "Are you fucking kidding me?" look on his face.

My second favorite thing about this episode was seeing Dmitry in the audience.

Normally during regular Project Runway, I enjoy seeing Tim Gunn stand backstage and watch the final runway show with each designer, but watching Zanna do it sucked.

Alyssa looked so tiny surrounded by all of those tall models! She looked so much better at the final runway than most of this season.

Georgina's look during the runway was so Georgina. I like to imagine her walking through Target with that outfit on.

I liked the bluish grey impressionist looking painting that Dom did for her first look, but I really disliked the primary color stripes she painted on her other fabric. It looked way too much like an elementary school art project. It just made her collection look cheap. But I really liked the striped dress that Dom was wearing!

In contrast, Ken's collection definitely looked luxe because of the materials he chose. All that wool and leather looked so expensive. I loved his first look. And while Zanna's "advice" in the workroom is usually totally useless, I'm glad that Ken listened to her suggestion to use his yellow fabric (although I do agree with him that if his design and sewing were amazing, then he wouldn't need yellow fabric to wow the judges). My problem with his collection is that none of it looked new. It looked like nice stuff that I could buy at a department store right now. This was the most sophisticated collection of the three but I knew it looked too ready to wear to win.

Kini has been up and down for me with his looks this season. His final collection was the same for me. There were some things that I really liked and something that I didn't like. I liked the dress with the big ruffle as well as the longer blue dress that Zanna loved. I wasn't a fan of the return of the cocoon ruffle in the back. This was the most exuberant, joyful, and youthful of the three.

But my biggest takeaway from this episode is how radically the atmosphere had changed once we were rid of Sam.   It was like the morning after an exorcism.  Everyone seemed more relaxed, more congenial.

ITA - and I noticed the same thing on RuPaul's Drag Race once Derrick was eliminated last week. Funny how once an untalented bitchy person leaves, the whole atmosphere changes for the better!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 6
(edited)

Well then. If that's the alpha over at Marie Claire, it explains a lot about Nina.

Dom's collection was a significantly less craftsmanlike version of her last runway collection, only without the rorschach effect (which I guess was too risky with her limited fabric). It's understandable, given the time constraints, but almost all of that struck me as pieces Sam could probably have managed but made from dropcloths.

I'm not actively offended by her win, because I really doubt that the young women who read Marie Claire are interested in reading a year's worth of thoughts from two middle-aged men from the hinterlands who are really good at making clothes for their moms. Still, JMO Dom won for being someone those readers can identify with and not for what she sent down the runway. Although, I must admit that I liked that pieced crop top with the shirttail hem a lot.

I would have given it to Ken, which astonishes me. I started this season fully expecting to be as offended by Ken as I ended up being by Sam. TBH, I would have put Kini in second, just for stepping away from the denim and putting an explosion of well-constructed color on the runway.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 4

Okay, I know this is petty but I didn't really care who won (Dom..what a surprise. Not) as long as Sam wasn't there. I really couldn't have watched his simpering as he sewed 8 more badly designed and constructed jumpsuits covered by neoprene mesh refigured after Zanna told him to rethink his ideas because they sucked.

• Love 7
(edited)

I wasn't a fan of Dom's original season but she really impressed with her creative, beautiful, collection of fashion. Ken created what everyone already has or can already get, and Kini did what Santino described when Chloe's collection came out: "It's a sofa comin' at cha." Kini's taste is still wildly tacky but would do well in Asian markets.

And I absolutely loved the editor-in-chief of Marie Claire! Wish she could be a regular. She sliced through and distinguished the fashion from the commercial clothing like it's her job. Oh, wait. 

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, RCharter said:

There are always a few designers on PRAS that I'm happy to see again.  I was happy to see Fade, I just like him even though I don't completely understand his designs.  I was happy to be surprised by liking Ken this time around.  And, I would love to see Swapnil again without that ugliness that is making me abandon regular PR next season.  I also wouldn't mind if they brought Seth Aaron around for a third time...I know, I know....I'm so wrong, but he is just one of those designers whose clothing I adore, even if I don't like him.

I wonder what Ashley is up to these days.....designing wearable flower pots?  Getting ready to return that leased Lexus?

She is designing a line of plus size clothing for JC Penney.  

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/04/11/first-look-project-runways-ashley-nell-tipton-brings-plus-sized-style-jcpenney/82759122/

• Love 2
(edited)
29 minutes ago, Beden said:

Okay, I know this is petty but I didn't really care who won (Dom..what a surprise. Not) as long as Sam wasn't there. I really couldn't have watched his simpering as he sewed 8 more badly designed and constructed jumpsuits covered by neoprene mesh refigured after Zanna told him to rethink his ideas because they sucked.

I think Sam was eliminated because the final runway challenge rules were already established, and everyone knew that there was no way that Sam would have been able to correctly create and construct 8 wearable garments in four days.

When Zanna said she was going to send in some help for the designers, I cringed, expecting to see Sam walking back in to the workroom.  Usually, the most recent eliminated designers come in to assist the finalists.  I wonder if the finalists requested no Sam, or if Sam declined (I think that may have happened only once before).  Interesting that we didn't see Sam at the final runway showing, either. 

Edited by njbchlover
  • Love 4

I think for me the point of this season is that whoever is styling Alyssa HATES her. I see her in more flattering clothing on GFY. I think her post baby weight suits her, stop dressing her for 3 years ago!

I think they need to stop having former winners because they have won every season they've been on. Or you know, accept that 5 All Star Seasons were overkill last year.

I also loved seeing the snide sidelooks of the former contestants.

Who do I think should have won? Dmitry! Seriously I don't even remember any real highlights in the final collections and more to the point, I don't care.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, PepperMonkey said:

I'm sure Ashley Nell Tipton will be on the next cast list and she'll win this one, too.

Done. And done.

The only chance I can watch All Stars again next year is that the cast looks like this.

未命名 - 2.jpg

• Love 4

The only reason I'd want Sam in the finale is to hear what Anne F. (Marie Claire editor) would say about his collection.  Imagine her comments on badly sewn neoprene and mesh with scraps tacked to it.

• Love 6
40 minutes ago, njbchlover said:

When Zanna said she was going to send in some help for the designers, I cringed, expecting to see Sam walking back in to the workroom.  Usually, the most recent eliminated designers come in to assist the finalists.  I wonder if the finalists requested no Sam, or if Sam declined (I think that may have happened only once before).  Interesting that we didn't see Sam at the final runway showing, either. 

I believe Sam not being one of the helpers is proof he was kept around for weeks based on reasons other than his skillset.  But better late than never, show, because whichever one of the three designers got Sam would have been screwed--the same as having no help at all.  I have to say, I'm astonished they didn't try to drain that last ounce of Sam drama by assigning him to Kini.  Thanks.  No, really:  thank you.

It would have been fun to see Sam's five lengths of white mesh over five blue jumpsuits and three drapes held together with tacking, but it would have been a travesty to eliminate one of those final three just for the Sam snark.

Okay, done with Sam, but I'm going to create another post because I'm such a nerd I made notes.  : )

• Love 7

I was imagining Sam trying to put together eight entire outfits in four days. He probably would have resorted to stapling some mesh neoprene together and then batting his eyelashes while explaining that his inspiration was The Deadliest Catch crossed with factory workers from ye olden tymes. "It's supposed to look messy and rough and poorly sewn because this was before electricity and sewing machines were invented but people still needed something to wear when they were fishing or doing whatever factory workers did during the gross olden days. But I still wanted them to have a pop of color so I used this neon blue neoprene mesh as my signature material and made them into jumpsuits which are kind of like coveralls that people wear when they work at gas stations and factories. They're all scraggly looking because kids used to work in factories and after doing industrial stuff all day, they were too dirty and tired to sew their clothes by hand so they just stapled the seams together. They're barefoot because they were too poor to afford shoes. Plus being barefoot is like wearing invisible flats. I had the makeup people put a smudge of dirt on each model's face so you could tell that they were from the dirty olden times, like Eponine in Les Mis. Did you see that movie? Russell Crowe was SO good." Then Isaac would trip all over himself to praise Sam's post apocalyptic vision as both futuristic and grounded in the past.

• Love 16

To me, Dom was the clear winner. Kini, while able to sew well and quickly, has serious taste issues.  That plaid would have worked in smaller doses, but it the plaid with the forms was just too much. Ken made some lovely pieces, but they are basic.  You can buy them at your neighborhood department store. There was nothing innovative or fresh about what he made.  Dom had some clear misses.  I didn't hate the painted plaid pieces as much as the judges, but I could see it as a fresh take on graffiti prints. Her collection was the most innovative, the most current, and the most fashion-forward.  I'd wear Ken's collection to a ball or whatever, but I'd be admiring the girl who wore a Dom look to it, while talking crap about the girl in the Kini dress.

• Love 7

Interesting that we didn't see Sam at the final runway showing, either. 

I noticed that as well. He may have been somewhere out of sight. Maybe. I would have thought that it would have been part of his contract to show up when ordered to do so.

7 minutes ago, Apocalypse Cow said:

To me, Dom was the clear winner. Kini, while able to sew well and quickly, has serious taste issues.  That plaid would have worked in smaller doses, but it the plaid with the forms was just too much. Ken made some lovely pieces, but they are basic.  You can buy them at your neighborhood department store. There was nothing innovative or fresh about what he made.  Dom had some clear misses.  I didn't hate the painted plaid pieces as much as the judges, but I could see it as a fresh take on graffiti prints. Her collection was the most innovative, the most current, and the most fashion-forward.  I'd wear Ken's collection to a ball or whatever, but I'd be admiring the girl who wore a Dom look to it, while talking crap about the girl in the Kini dress.

Completely agree!  Ken's was sophisticated but familiar, Kini's was beautifully put together but I just can't get past his fabrics, colors and dino-ruffles.  I wasn't in love with Dom's plaid at all, but she gets big kudos for painting her own designs - and for anyone who thinks that their toddler could do what Dom does, pick up a paint brush and try it.  People who aren't painters always fall back on that tired trope that their kids could do it (move over Jackson Pollock because here comes my 4 yr old with some crayola markers).  Um. . . no, they couldn't.  

• Love 7

I liked this finale. Really.

And I WANT this white jacket and those black pants from Ken's collection. I NEED them.

My ranking would have been : Ken, Kini, Dom (only considering the finale looks), but I'd love to mix some pieces of their looks , because  it could have been a kind of dream collection, because, if I really loved all Ken's looks (and it was a HUGE suprise for me, lol !) I easily could have picked some other items to add ^_^

• Love 2