Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E20: Much Ado About Murder

WendyCR72

(edited)
5 hours ago, Annec said:

This!  Imagine if they just had a conversation about having kids or, heaven forbid, they continued their conversation about what was the next step for them in their relationship.  BTW, I find the fear of getting "normal" very sad.  Most adults recognize that a level of continuity, comfortableness, "normalcy" is a wonderful thing in a relationship and life.  It is indicative of the writers fear of marriage that they see normal as equal to boring and a bad thing.

I've been asking myself this question since Season 5.  Most people were fan-personing over smooching, while I kept saying, "gawl I just want a decent adult conversation".  (Some people were so easy to please, not me.)

I came to the conclusion that if they had those kinds of conversations, every one would bring a new crop of continuity points that they'd need to soon abandon to satisfy some useless plot point.  The avalanche of baggage it would cause would destroy everything in its wake.

Edited by TWP
  • Love 2

What if "Loksat" and  "El Oso" (?the drug dealer from this ep.) are one and the same, or rivals, or....??

Well, yeah. That's what I was thinking. They are in the same business after all. And those Mexican cartels have a ferocious reputation. (Or it could be the 'straight' brother.)

The program has shown lovable gangsters before (the one who was semi-retired to the Hamptons, for example).

And having Castle more or less innocently writing the kingpin's biography would be a clever way to keep in touch with him. To say nothing of sidelining Beckett, since any contact with the kingpin would be a blackmail opportunity against her.

Either the writers think the audience is a lot smarter than the characters and expected us to figure that out or continuity went all to hell again.

Where is Spy!Mommy to clear this all up?

BTW, I find the fear of getting "normal" very sad.  Most adults recognize that a level of continuity, comfortableness, "normalcy" is a wonderful thing in a relationship and life.  It is indicative of the writers fear of marriage that they see normal as equal to boring and a bad thing.

I agree with this.  It seems like the writers have especially tapped into this fear of being normal/boring/less extraordinary as their Caskett theme of late.  The cliche settling into a marriage rut kind of thing?  They do love their cliches.  It's a shame that Castle doesn't really do a lot of quiet, uninterrupted intimate scenes anymore where Caskett can just be and it's not about the next bit of plot or joke or being interrupted.  But they gradually did less and less of those even under Marlowe who seemed to me to also have a fear of no relationship drama = boring.

• Love 1

Can I just say how much I hate the idea that Beckett is trying to compete with Castle over "Date Night"? Maybe I'm completely heartless and without a romantic bone in my body (and given I'm posting this on Valentine's Day is not at all suggestive of that!), but I would think that the most important thing about date night would be that... you're both there for it. Kate will never be able to compete with Rick in coming up with extravagant plans because she has a real job and is not a millionaire. But what she did do was not bail - exactly what Rick did. Sure, El Oso is a scary drug dealer, but he didn't seem frightened for his life when he started writing (he was given a year to get the script done, IIRC), he just seemed more excited at the prospect of getting writing than Date Night. Which (in my very much non-expert opinion) is not a good sign.

Did think it cute that having ragged on Ryan for getting so worked up about the Dance Recital - but still paid enough attention to help Sarah Grace when she came into the station.

Oh yeah, and apparently there was a murder. I guess Kayley should have recalled the wise words of Sam Goldwyn: "A verbal contract is not worth the paper it's written on".

• Love 1