Type keyword(s) to search

S00.E00: An 80s Rewind

• Start Topic

Behind-the-scenes footage, outtakes and cast interviews are included during this look at what makes the 1980s so special. Also: Sean Giambrone leads a set tour and highlights which props are from creator Adam F. Goldberg's personal collection.

I'm with you, mansonlamps. Maybe Hayley and AJ aren't good enough actors to sell that line. Although my favorite part was when Troy said how they were all kids when the show started and now he was grown and Jeff G called him out for aging from 18-21. You're not that old yet, Mister! 

Also, Wendi has to be wearing a wig, right? They wouldn't do that to her hair, would they?

2 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

Also, Wendi has to be wearing a wig, right? They wouldn't do that to her hair, would they?

That was the ONE question I had about anything behind-the-scenes, and no one answered it!  My husband and I both agreed it's a wig, Wendi's hair looks too thin to be able to tease up like that.  I did like seeing how her hair has changed since Season 1 - it used to be more feathery and light, and today it is more like a jello mold, very stiff looking.  

It's obviously a wig on the show.  I liked the earlier, fluffier version.  The 80's was the BIG hair decade and I had Marcia Brady hair (fine with zero ummph). Oh how I coveted the big hair - I WANTED the big hair!! So as a result I had continuous perms and I was soooo grateful when straight hair made a comeback in the 90's.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Lawgiver said:

I'm with you, mansonlamps. Maybe Hayley and AJ aren't good enough actors to sell that line. ...

Does this mean that you don't believe all of the actors get along...?

I thought it was a sweet episode...there might not have been any earth-shattering revelations, but I enjoyed watching it.  I think my favorite was the segment on Beverly's wardrobe. 

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, MMLEsq said:

Does this mean that you don't believe all of the actors get along...?

I thought it was a sweet episode...there might not have been any earth-shattering revelations, but I enjoyed watching it.  I think my favorite was the segment on Beverly's wardrobe. 

I can't speak for LAWGIVER, but for myself it means I really don't care.

• Love 1

If they get along, great. Unless there's juicy gossip involving behind the scenes loathing, it doesn't really need to be said. If it is said, I usually infer that they really don't get along. 

(edited)
21 hours ago, docmatt said:

The actors seem likeable enough, but I would have rather had an actual episode.

The season had to be already wrapped. This clearly was a "bonus episode" in the truest sense.  With a standard 22 ep commitment it's true that they could have done another script, but if one wasn't polished enough, it was better to do one like this at the end. And now going forward for next season, they have the potential problem (although probably not a few weeks ago when they had to be finishing up post-production--even this one had to already have been in the can when Patton's wife died) of waiting for Patton Oswalt to be ready to work again. You COULD try an episode with SEAN doing a voiceover, as a kind of changeup and speaking as himself at that age, but not more than once IMO. 

EDIT - I was so wrong. This was apparently a 24 episode order, NOT 22.

This means that there could have been episodes where the post-production wasn't done when Patton's wife died. Perhaps airing this episode NOW was to buy some time. The actual episode have to all have been shots a while ago, but Patton's voice overs are certainly one of the last things done. So it's more than possible (heck maybe even likely) that he may not have done his part for Ep 23 and 24 yet.

EDIT 2 - Okay... maybe not. Apparently there was never supposed to be an April 27 episode. The Special is apparently NOT part of the episode numbering, so this should be re-numbered without the S03:E22 (to something like S03:E00). The actual episode 22 is "Smother's Day" (E23 is "Big Orange" and E24 is "Have A Summer"), and if indeed these final episodes DID all have Patton's Voice Overs done, then they're airing on May 4th, May 11th, and May 18th. 

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1
On 4/29/2016 at 9:17 AM, Shell76 said:

That was the ONE question I had about anything behind-the-scenes, and no one answered it!  My husband and I both agreed it's a wig, Wendi's hair looks too thin to be able to tease up like that.  I did like seeing how her hair has changed since Season 1 - it used to be more feathery and light, and today it is more like a jello mold, very stiff looking.  

On 4/29/2016 at 10:55 AM, Trace said:

It's obviously a wig on the show.  I liked the earlier, fluffier version.  The 80's was the BIG hair decade and I had Marcia Brady hair (fine with zero ummph). Oh how I coveted the big hair - I WANTED the big hair!! So as a result I had continuous perms and I was soooo grateful when straight hair made a comeback in the 90's.

Wendi McLendon-Covey said on a Watch What Happens Live that it's definitely a wig in a "do you think I'd do that to my hair every week?" tone of voice a while back.