Type keyword(s) to search

Cutthroat Kitchen - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I could easily be wrong but I've thought that CK had developed into one of FN's most popular shows.  If that's the case, I'd guess that there's some issue with Alton.  Maybe his ego finally got too big for the network or maybe he just wants to concentrate on his own pursuits.  If he's putting all his eggs into the basket of a web series, I think he'll be disappointed.

17 hours ago, mlp said:

I could easily be wrong but I've thought that CK had developed into one of FN's most popular shows.  If that's the case, I'd guess that there's some issue with Alton.  Maybe his ego finally got too big for the network or maybe he just wants to concentrate on his own pursuits.  If he's putting all his eggs into the basket of a web series, I think he'll be disappointed.

I can't see the network wanting to end CK when just a few months ago they were making so many episodes that they had to air 2 new ones per week. It's also the only show on FN that I see randomly pop up on social media. 

I could totally see Alton getting tired of it though. There isn't a lot of room for him to express himself, especially if the challenge creation has expanded past his input. Basically he delivers the same lines, occasionally costumed up, and if he's lucky gets 10 seconds to explain how he'd have approached a challenge. That can't possibly compare to the freedom he enjoyed making Good Eats.

The question that leaves is whether Food Network would dare to keep the show going with a replacement host. We know there's no substitute for Alton overall, but as I say his role as game show host was limited enough that others probably could.

• Love 2

The question that leaves is whether Food Network would dare to keep the show going with a replacement host. We know there's no substitute for Alton overall, but as I say his role as game show host was limited enough that others probably could.

Ms. Bear and I were discussing this the other night too, after noticing the scheduling shenanigans. We're hoping CK continues - it's easily our favorite show on FN - and wouldn't mind it if Richard Blais takes over as host.

Though our top pick would be Antonia.

• Love 1

Many people disliked the concept of this show in its early days (I didn't - thought it was and is hilarious), but it's Shakespeare compared to FN programming these days.  The kids and endless cheesy gimmicks are everywhere and ruining even our old trusted standbys.

I'd send a strongly worded letter to the new FN management bunch - if I thought they could read.

• Love 6

I almost didn't want to watch because of how awful Anne Burrell was the last time she was there. But since the rest of the show's future seems so bleak, I decided I'd watch while I still had the chance. But I have to admit Anne dressing as Cruella seemed strangely fitting. I loved Alton's Beetlejuice costume though.

• Love 1

I really can't stand her. I get that the judges are there to, well, judge, but she just seems more critical somehow. I get the same vibe from Jet Tila sometimes.  

Both of their costumes were great though. 

I hope the show returns...it seems to get a lot of hate online but I find it the perfect show to wind down with at the end of the week. It's fun and I love Alton.

I was rooting for the chef who went home in the second round. I'm not a food expert but I didn't see the issue with lamb and brussel sprouts. I think I missed something there.

I can't believe that one lady actually got her dish cooked on the organ. But I was glad she lost the dessert round. All she did was melt and freeze some chocolate.

Alton kept saying the "first" Halloween tournament...hope there's a second one! It was fun to watch.

• Love 1

Alton's got a Broadway show called Eat Your Science at sime point it will start touring.

In Alton Brown Live: Eat Your Science, fans can expect comedy, talk show antics, multimedia presentations and music (yes, he sings), but Brown is adding a slew of fresh ingredients including new puppets, songs and bigger and potentially more dangerous experiments. Brown has a knack for mixing together a perfect base of science, music and food into two hours of pure entertainment. Critics and fans rave about the interactive fun when Brown invites an audience member on stage to serve as his assistant. According to Alton, “there will be plenty of new therapy inducing opportunities during our audience participation segments. I don’t want to give too much away, but we’re also going to play a little game with the audience,” says Brown.

This is probably why Cutthroat is dunzo. If they want to reboot it with a new host, I'd also suggest Blais or Zakarian (I don't think Cooks vs Cons works. Additionally, his efforts to seem nice creep me out).

• Love 1

Eat Your Science did a brief tour this past spring, got a repeated run on Broadway, and will tour more next year. It definitely kept him out of the studio but I suspect the decision is multi-faceted: tired of doing the game show plus touring live plus the new YouTube show.

• Love 1

Just caught up with the Tournament of Terror.  The eventual winner had the perpetual attitude of entitlement that makes me murmur "Lose! Lose! I don't like you." Humility doesn't seem to be part of her vocabulary, although she's willing to perform in a sideshow environment in order to make some cash.

Was rooting for Natalie or Janet.

Oh, well - I'm sure Talented Jenny will pop up again uninvited for our viewing pleasure.

(Have to say I loved seeing Jet Tila roll downstairs in his robot get-up.  And Ive never liked Blais so much as in his Clarice persona.)

• Love 2

Food Network has decided to put another new episode on tonight at 8 - appears to be a one-off.

No decisions made by this channel make sense, whether they were for good or ill. But enjoy the show!

(Also, old news but never noted in this thread - Alton hosts "Iron Chef Gauntlet" starting in Q2 2017. So it's not a relationship issue between him and the channel after all? Maybe?)

• Love 1

A typical "season" of this show  (and most others on Food Network) is 12-14 episodes.  The last season had 10 episodes--5 Camp Cutthroat  and 5 Terror Tournament--so I'm wondering if there were 3 or 4 episodes floating around that were supposed to air between those two tournaments that they're now burning off at random.   FN reruns things to death.  For them to abruptly show a new seasonally themed only once, barely and at odd times makes no sense.  Then the show vanishes completely until a new episode randomly pop us in the TV graveyard between Christmas and New Years, with only one repeat showing at 3 am.  The last season probably would have been filmed around spring which is when I think Kermit was booted and the new regime came in.  

I hadn't heard about the Iron Chef spinoff and that does make it seem like it's not an issue with Alton and the network  But that show may have been filmed some time ago, and then pushed back.   FN films a lot of stuff well in advance.  

• Love 1

I can't believe it hasn't been revived yet. Seems like too big of a property not to.

It doesn't surprise me that there are a few episodes around. The end was very abrupt and I know they snuck out 1-2 holiday-themed episodes earlier this year. There could have been any number filmed ahead of time that simply didn't go out as a season.

• Love 1

I still love this show, and hope it can come back. It's the perfect way to laugh and turn off my brain for an hour (and I mean that in a good way). Sometimes I miss the episodes, and they don't always seem to make it to On Demand...frustrating.

• Love 2

Last night's show was great, as I know Kent and was rooting for him. So was my dog, he recognized Kent's voice and started barking. :)

He was wise to make the others get rid of their money. People got so desperate not to have something thrown at them that they blew it all.

• Love 3

I like Kent a lot and thoroughly enjoyed last night's show.  I was very happy that he won.  I also liked the cute country singer/judge - can't remember his name.  He handled his "duties" very well.

• Love 1

I loved seeing Kent again. FN can use him as often as they want.

Someone I never want to see again on the network, though, is William Shatner. I thought he was a terrible judge: full of himself and loving the sound of his own voice too much to deliver critiques that made any sense. Don't get me wrong; I'm a trekker. No no more Shatner as a judge. Ever.

• Love 2

Someone I never want to see again on the network, though, is William Shatner.

Agreed!  I deliberately did not watch that rerun because I hated watching him the first time.  The contestants acted like he was the second coming while I think he's slowly morphing into Jabba the Hutt.  

I realized last night when I looked at my DVR that the above referenced episode with Shatner was a new one, not a repeat as I'd assumed.  I didn't know they'd had him on twice.  In any event, once was enough for me.  I deleted it unwatched.  :)

(edited)
1 hour ago, mlp said:

I realized last night when I looked at my DVR that the above referenced episode with Shatner was a new one, not a repeat as I'd assumed.  I didn't know they'd had him on twice.  In any event, once was enough for me.  I deleted it unwatched.  :)

Excellent call. All the chefs were likeable but Shatner was godawful.

It actually may have been the same episode repackaged. They had little bits of Alton explaining a challenge to Shatner after each round. I think that may have been what marked it as new.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 1

heh I enjoyed the bacon round man cave stuff. The non-cook guest judges just read their lines, i sincerely doubt they make any decisions, and some read their lines better than others. 

it was Clay Walker country singer. heh I don't really know him, but know the name. 

• Love 1

Apparently there are still about a dozen episodes plus a Christmas one that aired in Australia but not here. So they could be setting us up with 1 per week for the rest of the summer, plus another one at the holidays. Not as good as last year's 2 per week including Camp Cutthroat, but I'm not going to complain after the dry spell we had. I just wish they'd tell us something about future plans.

• Love 3

I enjoyed the teenager episode and I LOVE  Duff.  He is a hoot to watch.

Clay Walker sure did like both sides of beans he had, considering he said he didn't like baked beans.  ?

Glad Kent won the cowboys episode.  I wasn't too impressed with the other chefs.

• Love 2

3 separate thoughts in decreasing relevance:

1) The Fast Times at Cutthroat High episode was indeed a lot of fun. But I think Duff chose the wrong person in round 1. He clearly enjoyed her hush puppies and we know she included a protein component. And he came out saying how flexible a "car pool breakfast" is as long as you can eat it on the go. Then he dumped her in favor of  the sloppy sandwich because it wasn't "complete" enough? Duff is great, but I think he was wrong there.

2) Richard Blais and his wife Jazmin just started a podcast called Starving for Attention. On the third episode he had Jet Tila and Antonia Lofaso on.  They actually don't talk a huge amount about Cutthroat, just a little in the beginning. But they clearly enjoy talking to each other so if you like them it's a fun listen.  Available here or on iTunes. IMHO it's clear that he's still new to podcasting because some of the intros and segment breaks needed work, but overall I'd tune in again if he has guests I'm interested in.

3) Alton Brown put a short video on YouTube featuring Good Eats and simply saying "It's time". There's no other content to it and no indication of schedule, but I consider that a confirmation of what we've been expecting.

• Love 2

After the show stopped airing (no new episodes or reruns) I remember a Valentine's Day episode randomly popping up.  I checked the episode guide and there were only 7 or 8 episodes listed for the final season but FN almost always does 13 episode seasons.  Seems like there are a few unaired ones floating around. 

I continue to be baffled by this show.  Despite being successful, it was abruptly pulled.  Then an episode or two airs.  Then it Lenny level erased from the Network and now it's just back again. 

• Love 1