Type keyword(s) to search

Snark Talk: Home, Home on the (De) Ranged

• Start Topic

Thanks Lura, I'll check it out. I only use hers because it's only got like 4 ingredients and I have it memorized.

Okay, I checked it out. Lol, it's exactly the same as Ree's.

Edited by peacheslatour
update
  • Love 1

Doesn't it seem like Ree should give credit to Joe's for "her" recipe, Peaches? Ina always does.  I resent her for that.  There's nothing shameful in passing along a recipe from another source if you think it's good, but give credit where credit is due!

Thank you for the good tip, Gam2.  I want to make it.  We love pot roast, and it's the easiest thing in the world to make.  I love those "put it in and forget it" kind of meals.

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 3

I just watched her meal kit episode today and was wondering how long it will be before she launches her Pioneer Woman meal kits. I don't think that it  will rival Blue Apron though but her fans will buy them.

• Love 3

LOL, LillyB!  Once she gets her steakhouse and pizza parlor off the ground, maybe she'll hawk a new cookbook featuring meal kits and recipes!  And maybe we shouldn't be giving her ideas.

• Love 4
(edited)

I just watched Ree's new show featuring the boarding house and treats she made for guests.  While I admit to being a huge fan of finger foods, I thought the show was entertaining and -- wonder of wonders -- didn't see a thing wrong with Ree or the food.  Such a pleasant break from Tex-Mex!

Later:  On second thought, it was typical Ree (which she admitted) to pile one thing after another on top of her chocolate toffee candy.  I would do something less fussy like toasted, chopped pecans or salted, whole cashews, but that's a personal choice. 

My husband is a chocolaholic.  In fact, I think he loves chocolate more than he loves me!  It's a close race!  LOL  I think I may make him a batch of this candy to thank him for all the help he's given me lately.

I thought it was interesting that Ladd seems to have been bitten by the entrepreneur bug.  He's been watching Ree make money hand over fist to the point where he has to try it, too, apparently.  How do the Drummonds get all of this real estate?  Do they own Pawhuska entirely?!  Maybe they're "developing" the buildings of other owners who are only too happy to see profits on their investments.  Does anybody know?

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

They bought both the Merc and the boarding house.  Pawhuska was a depressed economy. It is picking up because of her.  But I wonder for how long?  If her popularity waines, so too will the Merc, and all the jobs that go with it.

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, cathy said:

But I wonder for how long?  If her popularity waines, so too will the Merc, and all the jobs that go with it.

Sadly, that will probably be the case.  It's not like there is anything else to do there.  If it were close to other attractions it might be OK but as it is their time is limited.

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

What kind of name is Kurtess???

A misspelled version of Curtis?

6 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

Nice half hour infomercial for the boarding house.

The boarding house is just too twee for me.  And does every surface have to have some sort of junk on it?  It's like Ree's cooking and baking - just keep piling on the layers.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, BTBAM310 said:

That's exactly the point - who spells it like that???

Well, don't know if he's Mormon but they are known for wacky spellings. And wacky names as well.

• Love 2

I was bored and playing with the computer and found a series of negative articles about her.  Radar Online radaronline.com/photos/pioneer-woman-Ree-Drummond-yearbook-photos.  The headline "See Pioneer Woman as a snobby socialite teen" It has a photo slideshow of her with the source being an old classmate.  I had trouble with the slide show not working correctly so I did not see them all.  Lots of comments, both against her, and defending her.  One comment said "This frontier faker needs to get a nose job.  Horrible honker!  (I agree she has her dad's wide nose.  Could use a facelift for the crow's feet-she can afford it). In the text next to the slide show it said "She was a snobby socialite with little to no morals"  Wow!  Another comment said that "the whole country bliss image is false and her husband's hatred for her is palpable." (I haven't noticed that but maybe I'm dense?) On the right hand side of the website are about 6 (I think) other articles with slide shows.  One details her mentally ill cousin who went missing and died.  Another is not accurate, "Sad truth about her distant marriage." Another about her crappy crookware line that falls apart easily, and how the paint gets into the food while cooking (dangerous to health). Another about horse slaughter issues.  These were mostly written late last year and March of this year.  The author seems to dislike her. Lots of comments to read.  But interesting.  I will try to see the rest of the slide show photos and report back.   I commend RadarOnline for not being cowardly.  Many magazines fawn over celebs.  One article "Tragedy, fakery and nasty fights with hubby: The pioneer Woman's dark secrets exposed."  Does anyone know if that is true?  Maybe if someone from her town knows if that is true or false can chime in with insider info?  What would they fight about?  Not money of course.  They are so loaded that could not be the issue.  I doubt Ladd cheats as he is probably always on the ranch. 

• Love 1

Let's not forget that Ree claims that she had a very wealthy LA lawyer boyfriend that was begging her to marry him.  She gave it all up for Ladd. ?

• Love 2

I went to a different computer and was able to look at all of the slide shows.  The articles aren't that great, some exaggeration and I think the headlines were a bit misleading but the comments were sometimes good. The article about the low quality cook ware was good because I had heard about that before.

• Love 1
On 4/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, peacheslatour said:

Thanks Lura, I'll check it out. I only use hers because it's only got like 4 ingredients and I have it memorized.

Okay, I checked it out. Lol, it's exactly the same as Ree's.

My favorite key lime pie recipe is from a San Francisco pastry chef and uses Pepperidge Farm Bordeaux cookies in lieu of the traditional graham crackers. Soooo good.

Topic? I watched a bit of the Trumpie clown's episode today where she made lasagna with cottage cheese instead of ricotta (I try not to give her ratings but my DVR is being stubborn about changing channels sometimes and I was stuck). I grew up eating it that way because ricotta was not readily available in the Midwest (and probably more expensive) which led me to thinking for decades that I did not like lasagna. Turns out I just don't like crappy lasagna.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Considering you can make ricotta cheese, not finding it in a store is not an excuse.

Agreed, but I had a mom who hated to cook and it was the 60s/70s so it was a bit harder.

(edited)
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Considering you can make ricotta cheese, not finding it in a store is not an excuse.

LOLOL!  My, my, my, jc!  I guess that's telling you!  :)

RICOTTA CHEESE --- Epicurious.com

YIELD: Makes about 2 cups

INGREDIENTS

2 quarts whole milk

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Special Equipment

large sieve, fine-mesh cheesecloth

PREPARATION

Line a large sieve with a layer of heavy-duty (fine-mesh) cheesecloth and place it over a large bowl.

Slowly bring milk, cream, and salt to a rolling boil in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Add lemon juice, then reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring constantly, until the mixture curdles, about 2 minutes.

Pour the mixture into the lined sieve and let it drain 1 hour. After discarding the liquid, chill the ricotta, covered; it will keep in the refrigerator 2 days.

*********************************************************************************

I have a pet peeve about Ree and didn't realize it until yesterday.  It's the way she holds her fork.  She holds it with all digits except that she curls her index finger up over the end of the fork.  I noticed that Alex is doing the same thing.  Then, yesterday, I saw that Ree's mother holds her fork that way.  What's with these Smith girls?  Is this their idea of being "Oklahoma dainty?"  When Ree tastes a recipe with her fork, she not only holds it in that odd way, but she ends her bite by removing the fork from between her lips and, with a flourish and a wide arc, swings the fork into the air while she exclaims,"Mmmmmm!"  Now, I'm not a stickler about good manners, but I've read that the fork is for delivering a bite to the mouth and that then it should be placed back on the plate until the next bite.  I've never read that you should stab the air with it or do much else with it.

Looking ahead, I have to wonder whether generations of Drummond daughters and granddaughters, along with devout fans of Ree's shows and their daughters, will drape their fingers over their forks until this oddity becomes an American way of life, all because of an Oklahoma woman copycatting her mother.  If I were still alive then, which I won't be, I still wouldn't like it!

There.  I think I feel better now.  Anyone else have a pet peeve re Ree?

Edited by Lura
typo
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Lura said:

RICOTTA CHEESE --- Epicurious.com

Yikes, that's quite the process. Back in them olden days of my childhood my mom just mixed cottage cheese with an egg and called it ricotta.  We never knew the difference.

2 hours ago, Lura said:

Anyone else have a pet peeve re Ree?

Other than that big old crazy clown smile?  It's like she has some muscle disease that pulls her face into a rictus grin.

g.jpg

• Love 4

She really can't leave well enough alone. I'm watching while the breakfast casserole is baking. S'more are perfect as is,so what does Ree do? She adds peanut butter, then dips them in chocolate -- some in white, some in dark -- then out come the toppings.

• Love 2
(edited)

OMG!  LOL

I didn't check to see whether the recipe called for chili powder, paprika, adobo sauce and cumin, but if it didn't, I guess we're free to add our own.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1
(edited)
38 minutes ago, rocketinu said:

Do a search for Bon Appetit's two layer key lime pie. It's incredible and the only one I make now.

That looks awesome, however I have not had much luck with adding yogurt to desserts. Might try with a bit of sour cream or creme fraiche. Thanks!

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 1

I've never seen a two-layer Key Lime Pie.  I'll google this recipe.  I'm totally in love with the original Joe's recipe, but it might be fun to try a different one.  Thank you!

No, I don't think so.  She would be listed as Edna Mae, I believe, and the date isn't right according to Ree's programs.  As I said on another thread, I'm pretty sure that Ree's show taped Edna Mae's 89th birthday, which would make this woman someone else.  Also, I don't believe that this obit lists Chuck (Charles) or Ladd or Tim, does it?

This obituary says she is survived by her son, Chuck and his wife, Nan, then another son, Thomas and wife Ginny.  A daughter, Patricia, preceded them all in death.

Since Ruth was a widow of Fred Drummond, then that removes any possibility that Fred survived her and might have remarried a woman named Edna Mae. 

Ladd and Tim are mentioned among the surviving grandchildren.

It also says she was preceded in death by a grandson, Todd, but Ree and Ladd's Todd would be her great-grandson.  That explains that whenever I Google the Drummonds, a result comes up about "Todd Drummond's death." Confusing, indeed!

So Who TF is Edna Mae?

The armchair genealogist in my wants to figure this out!  I'm going to pull up and see if my Ancestry.com account is still open. 

I really need a life!

OK. I did a really quick check. Ancestry has me locked out and I am not paying $20 for this. LOL!  So, I ran a couple of other searches.

First ... Are we positive that Edna Mae is Chuck's mother?

Because, the only Edna Mae anybody I could find in Pawhuska, is an Edna Mae Olsen who was born in 1923. On a property record, Nan is listed as Nan O. Drummond.

Could it be possible that Nan was Nan Olsen and married Chuck?

Yep! That's It! I just found a property record listing, among a whole slew of other Drummonds, Edna Mae Olsen and Nan Olsen Drummond.

You got it, Charlize.  Edna Mae's maiden name was Olsen.  That much I'm sure of.

So, now I'm a wee bit confused.  Is Edna Mae no longer living?  Same as Nan?  And where is Nan's obit?  I've been to legacy and other places, including newspapers, and haven't found a thing.  That seems odd, especially with Chuck being such a prominent landowner in OK.  Even as Ree's mother-in-law, millions of people know who Nan is, so why is there no announcement to be found of her death? 

• Love 1

I think Edna Mae is still alive. I did not see any obits for her. I found her on a Osage Co. (hee!) voter registration page and her and Nan's names on some list of property parcel ownership lots with the State of Oklahoma.

We should just probably be patient about an obit for Nan.  I only can just speak from my experiences, but writing the obit is usually the last thing on the list for the family because you have to deal with other immediate stuff like what to do with the body, notifying other family members and friends of the deceased, planning a service, gathering up their personal belongings, etc.  

Also, since it's a holiday weekend, that might be causing a delay.  We should probably start looking again -- maybe middle of next week?

I know that when my dad died last November, it was a lengthy going back and forth between my brothers and sister and I to approve the obit that I wrote. (My sister got the task for our mom.) That was just four of us. One of my brothers, the "udder one" (TM Yolanda) who lives on the West Coast, wanted to mention that Dad was a lifetime NRA member. My sister and I were all, "HELL to the no" on that one and vetoed him. And this was before the shit storm with the NRA erupted.

With a family the size of Nan's, that would be nightmare!  am sure that the task of writing the obituary will go to Ree.  

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Westiepeach said:

I am not sure where to put this, but I found this:

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/name/ruth-drummond-obituary?pid=16053792&view=guestbook

Is this Edna Mae?

This obit is from 2005. It's obviously not Nan or Edna Mae. 

Nan did pass away last week, Thursday night. Ree recently blogged about mixed emotions, Paige and Caleb both graduated from high school and a family member in hospice with cancer. It seems she went into hospice on Mother's Day. The other Todd Drummond was Ladd's brother. He was killed in a car accident as a teen and Ladd and Ree named their son after him. I'd have to assume both Edna Mae and Chuck, along with Ladd and Tim, are all grieving and remembering, and will write a fitting tribute for her. 

And there may not be an obituary at all.  I didn't do one for my parents - everyone who mattered already knew the kind of people that they were and they were there for us throughout.  I didn't feel the need to make it any more public.  But that's certainly a personal choice.

• Love 3

I did the obits for both parents and my in-laws.  We plan to have our obits already written so that all we have to do when the time comes is contact the newspaper.  I agree with you, Charlize.  It's harder to write them when you're so busy with other details and sometimes not in the best frame of mind.

• Love 1

When my father passed away at 76, it was the first time our immediate family had to deal with death. My mother was in the cardiac unit of the hospital when my husband and I found my father. We had to contact her doctor, nurse, and a hospital chaplain first. Can you imagine, being in your room, dealing with cardiac issues, seeing that procession coming toward you? So me, my brother-in-law and sister had to make all the arrangements. One other sister lived in Hawaii at the time. We dealt with the funeral home, the florist, the cemetery, just doing our best and chugging through. We are driving home and remembered we forgot to include HIS MOTHER, our grandmother, in the obituary. Whoops.

• Love 2

Oh, Westiepeach, that must have been so hard on you and your mother.  I'm sorry you all had to go through that.  It's no wonder you left out your grandmother's name.  I used to write for and edit a newspaper, and you'd be surprised how many people came in to ask for an obit, and then couldn't remember names.  It happened frequently.  Nobody is in a calm state of mind when tragedy strikes, no matter how calm we think we are.  That's a mistake easily forgiven.

• Love 4
(edited)

Luckily we remembered Grandma before the obituary was published in the newspaper. Whew.

Grandma was a force to be reckoned with. When she was 80 she had a hip replacement. We all figured if she had 6 pain-free months, it would be good. Well, she passed 2 months shy of her 100th birthday. So she had 20 good years!

Edited by Westiepeach
  • Love 3